PDA

View Full Version : New Head Coach

RaineBlade
05-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Rod Pederson speculates that former Prince Albert Raider, Brian Pellerin, may be the next head coach.

Taken from Rod's awesome blog (a must read for all Saskatchewan sports fanatics)! "The rumours are flying, of course. The word is the Prince Albert Raiders will hire Brian Pellerin as their next head coach."

According to hockey db, Brian has some decent experience but not much success as a head coach.

Not sure about this potential hire. Thoughts?

SectionNDeserter
05-25-2013, 08:39 AM
According to hockey db, Brian has some decent experience but not much success as a head coach.

Not sure about this potential hire. Thoughts?It is similar to the Edmonton Oiler's model. Pellerin was a tough-as-nails fan favorite in PA, will probably come at a bargain price, and most of the fans will give him the benefit of the doubt because of this.

Red Deer just had a go at this with Wallin. He was a World Junior champion, two-time winner of the WHL Humanitarian of the year award, and winner of the CHL Humanitarian of the year award, and a fantastic role model for a number of the players on the team that later won the Memorial cup. When he was fired, there was very mixed reactions to it in Red Deer, despite him having very little success, and not a great record.

Knoblauch had success in Kootenay as a coach after playing there, but any other example that I can think of always seems to end in failure. Maybe the secret is to hire 3rd liners like Knoblauch instead of the stars?

Wapitikev
05-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Pellerin sounds like a decent choice.

Does anyone know what Pat Conacher is doing these days?

Both played forward (winger and center, respectively), so I'd have to assume that they would (know how to) coach that position...and maybe power play?

But Conacher has (by comparison) a ton of AHL and NHL experience and THAT is what this team desperately needs...a Coach that the NHL draft picks and 19yos won't go to sleep on (because Conacher KNOWS what they need to do to get to the AHL as a 20yo)

Pellerin and Manson would likely have more in common, but Manson and Conacher are the pair this team needs.

...plus Conacher never had the forward-depth on Regina that PA has, now.

But, having said that, Bruno also should be on the phone with Patrick Roy's brother to see if Alain Vigneault can be landed. Better move quick, though...that American green-white-and-gold (and black) team seems to be interested in him too.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-25-2013, 11:49 AM
...any other example that I can think of always seems to end in failure. Maybe the secret is to hire 3rd liners like Knoblauch instead of the stars?PA has already tried the old-home-experiment from 2003-07 with Peter Anholt. He was fired by his awful GM...in favour of Bruno Campese...who took over as GM when the Board fired his boss the following year.

When Anholt was through, there were many who were not sorry to see him replaced, so I'm not sure how much lee-way Pellerin would get from the current fans.

So, after a bit of consideration, I'd sooner see Conacher than Pellerin.

One thing I am sure of, though...Lorne Molleken is not being considered for our vacancy.

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
05-25-2013, 03:51 PM
PA has already tried the old-home-experiment from 2003-07 with Peter Anholt. He was fired by his awful GM...in favour of Bruno Campese...who took over as GM when the Board fired his boss the following year.

When Anholt was through, there were many who were not sorry to see him replaced, so I'm not sure how much lee-way Pellerin would get from the current fans.

So, after a bit of consideration, I'd sooner see Conacher than Pellerin.

One thing I am sure of, though...Lorne Molleken is not being considered for our vacancy.

-Wapitikev

Please, someone tell me what Brian Pellerin's qualifications are? He has two years experience as a head coach in Amarillo of the CHL. His record was abysmal, never making the playoffs and consistently losing 2 games for every game won. And previous to that he was an assistant coach with Portland during their darkest days. This hardly inspires confidence. Surely this is just a rumor!

Wapitikev
05-25-2013, 04:07 PM
Please, someone tell me what Brian Pellerin's qualifications are? He has two years experience as a head coach in Amarillo of the CHL. His record was abysmal, never making the playoffs and consistently losing 2 games for every game won. And previous to that he was an assistant coach with Portland during their darkest days. This hardly inspires confidence. Surely this is just a rumor!Hope so...he played tough but he does not have the NHL/AHL playing credentials that we need.

He would fit into the budget but that should be one of the last considerations in what we need for a coach.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-25-2013, 04:35 PM
RB (and others)...given that the team has a budget to try and meet, I have a question:

If it was down to a choice between someone with Pellerin's playing/coaching experience and someone with Conacher's or James Patrick's playing/coaching experience, how much more would you be willing to pay for your season ticket to allow the team to afford the more experienced/expensive guy?

Keep in mind that 1500 season ticket holders paying $34 more, each, is just north of $50,000.

But 2 playoff games with 3000 tickets @ $20 a pop would raise an additional $120,000 (before overhead).

...As a paying customer, I'd say go for the more experienced (and expensive) guy.

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
05-25-2013, 05:25 PM
He was a coach with Okanagan Hockey Academy, as well as an Assistant in Portland of the WHL and an Assistant with the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL.

It's easy to think you have the solution, but there's more to coaching than records, because sometimes you aren't given a lot to work with and only sparingly does a certain coach have the magic to get the most out of any player.

Maybe Pellerin has the right philosophies. No matter who is coaching this team next season, sorry, but they won't have a great roster of talent with the exception of a few. P.A is never going to be a satisfied hockey town and that's okay, but try giving the guy a chance before you castrate him.

Wapitikev
05-25-2013, 07:41 PM
:rolleyes:

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
05-26-2013, 12:38 AM
RB (and others)...given that the team has a budget to try and meet, I have a question:

If it was down to a choice between someone with Pellerin's playing/coaching experience and someone with Conacher's or James Patrick's playing/coaching experience, how much more would you be willing to pay for your season ticket to allow the team to afford the more experienced/expensive guy?

Keep in mind that 1500 season ticket holders paying $34 more, each, is just north of $50,000.

But 2 playoff games with 3000 tickets @ $20 a pop would raise an additional $120,000 (before overhead).

...As a paying customer, I'd say go for the more experienced (and expensive) guy.

-Wapitikev

I am 100% with you on this!

HockeyGuru
05-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Bottom line is that he coached Bruno's kid in OHA hockey academy...cheap hire.Can be controlled behind the scenes like Steve was...Bruno won't let control go.Dave and Tim weren't even interviewed for position so forget about the.

HockeyGuru
05-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Bottom line is that he coached Bruno's kid in OHA hockey academy...cheap hire.Can be controlled behind the scenes like Steve was...Bruno won't let control go.Dave and Tim weren't even interviewed for position so forget about the.

Raider Believer
05-26-2013, 08:30 PM

OMG! Pathetic if true. :rolleyes:

Wildeyes
05-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Here is a new story from PA NOW about a new head coach surprising the Dave Struch's name is tossed out there .

http://www.panow.com/node/345737