PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen this summer?

Nook
05-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Judging by the tone of the Star Phoenix article late this week, It seems to me that Molleken may step down from the Blades and probably retire. I think this past season has taken a lot out of him. The tremendous pressure of having to build a Memorial Cup calibre team with what he had to work with in the beginning was a big burden. In hindsight, 2013 probably wasn't the time for Saskatoon to bid for the event.

But if Molleken steps down as GM, where does the club go from there? I have no idea who would be waiting in the wings willing to take on the challenge that will be re-building the Blades. I would imagine that Struch would be the next head coach, but if you get a new GM, he may very well wish to bring in his own guy.

I know the bantam draft situation in terms of 1st rd picks is slim, but the bantam draft is such a crapshoot anyways. There are many examples of this, but the fact that Jordan Eberle was a 12th round pick is enough proof.

As a fan, I'm actually looking forward to the re-build. This team was on "borrowed time" in terms of competing in 2012 and 2013. I would imagine that they will grab a couple of 17 year old European players in the import draft this offseason.

This team will have issues finding the win column for a few years, but after the disappointment and pressure of the past season, I honestly don't mind watching a young team with no expectations. They may very well surprise.

RWAH
05-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Just for accuracy Jordan Eberle was a 7th round bantam pick in 2005. IMO more first rounders become top six players than 7th round picks

Trav
05-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Judging by the tone of the Star Phoenix article late this week, It seems to me that Molleken may step down from the Blades and probably retire. I think this past season has taken a lot out of him. The tremendous pressure of having to build a Memorial Cup calibre team with what he had to work with in the beginning was a big burden. In hindsight, 2013 probably wasn't the time for Saskatoon to bid for the event.

But if Molleken steps down as GM, where does the club go from there? I have no idea who would be waiting in the wings willing to take on the challenge that will be re-building the Blades. I would imagine that Struch would be the next head coach, but if you get a new GM, he may very well wish to bring in his own guy.

I know the bantam draft situation in terms of 1st rd picks is slim, but the bantam draft is such a crapshoot anyways. There are many examples of this, but the fact that Jordan Eberle was a 12th round pick is enough proof.

As a fan, I'm actually looking forward to the re-build. This team was on "borrowed time" in terms of competing in 2012 and 2013. I would imagine that they will grab a couple of 17 year old European players in the import draft this offseason.

This team will have issues finding the win column for a few years, but after the disappointment and pressure of the past season, I honestly don't mind watching a young team with no expectations. They may very well surprise.

I really think this is the best time for Molleken to step aside, least step away from the bench. Bring in a new coach, hire new assistants and just start the franchise over.

curwie
05-26-2013, 11:28 PM
My feeling is Lorne will be the HC and gm again next year.

Trav
05-26-2013, 11:51 PM
My feeling is Lorne will be the HC and gm again next year.

The attendance won't be that good next year if he does stay as head coach and GM. I think a lot of fans in general want him away from the bench.