PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Offseason Thread

Nook
05-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Might as well get things started... Les hinted on Twitter that this will be a busy offseason for Saskatoon.

Blades deal Thrower to Vancouver for a conditional 2nd round pick (https://twitter.com/bladeshockey/status/339049187360509952) - Blades will get the pick if Thrower returns to the WHL next season, which I would imagine he would.

Trav
05-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Not at all surprised. You mite see some other conditional trades to (Sutter, maybe even McColgan). I'd be surprised if Montreal signs him. He could use another year of junior. A 2nd rounder for him is more then I thought the Blades would get.

Joe Hallenback
05-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Not sure what the Jets are doing with Sutter. They may want him back to Junior to work on his offensive game but they are thin in the AHL so he might end up there. I am not sure about McColgan, Rangers have a lot of forwards already signed so they could drop him. He would be a pretty high end 20 year old for some team. Which teams could compete next year?

I know Brandon is looking at a few 20s from the Blades, Burns,Benoit,Valincourt and Craig. We have a number of 16/17 year olds available as well for trade

Trav
05-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Not sure what the Jets are doing with Sutter. They may want him back to Junior to work on his offensive game but they are thin in the AHL so he might end up there. I am not sure about McColgan, Rangers have a lot of forwards already signed so they could drop him. He would be a pretty high end 20 year old for some team. Which teams could compete next year?

I know Brandon is looking at a few 20s from the Blades, Burns,Benoit,Valincourt and Craig. We have a number of 16/17 year olds available as well for trade

Sutter could be next to go if he plays another year of junior. I would't have a problem if the Blades sent u guys Valcourt and Craig for some picks and prospects. I am hoping Benoit and Burns stay. I'd keep those two and Pufahl as the overagers.

Nook
05-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Sutter could be next to go if he plays another year of junior. I would't have a problem if the Blades sent u guys Valcourt and Craig for some picks and prospects. I am hoping Benoit and Burns stay. I'd keep those two and Pufahl as the overagers.

Pufahl will probably stay as a 20 since he's from Saskatoon. It actually wouldn't bother me at all if the Blades went with 1 or 2 20s and dealt as many as they could for picks/prospects.

Question though, when's the import draft?

Trav
05-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Pufahl will probably stay as a 20 since he's from Saskatoon. It actually wouldn't bother me at all if the Blades went with 1 or 2 20s and dealt as many as they could for picks/prospects.

Question though, when's the import draft?

True it wouldn't be a bad idea but they'll need some leaders on the team. Benoit, Burns and Pufahl, if those are the three 20's would likely all be captains.

Import draft is only July 3rd

http://www.chl.ca/draft/chl

On the top of the page they have the date listed. No order has been given yet.

curwie
05-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Nice deal. Glad to recover a second round pick if he doesn't sign.

patsdude114
05-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Not a bad deal at all if he does return, now just send Valcourt to the Pats & all is good lol

Trav
05-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Not a bad deal at all if he does return, now just send Valcourt to the Pats & all is good lol

For a 2nd and a prospect? okay lol.

twentyone
05-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Gotta think the blades keep pufhal and Craig. This team will be green on D next year and a couple of vets would help them out. I say they also keep Burns. I hear an interview with him after the last game and he seems very excited to come back next year and play a veteran role.

European draft will be huge for this team. Hopefully Lorne can trade the rights to a 20 yr old and maybe move up in the euro draft.

patsdude114
05-27-2013, 02:54 PM
European draft will be huge for this team. Hopefully Lorne can trade the rights to a 20 yr old and maybe move up in the euro draft.

Euros rarely play a major role in a teams success, especially a 1st yr euro, unless its a goalie dont hold ur breath too much on a euro trying to save anything for the Blades next year. Most good euro's dont even come across anymore cuz they can get the same exposure in there own country as they do in the CHL....the only benefit they get now from coming over here to play is playing on the smaller ice surface

Nook
05-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Euros rarely play a major role in a teams success, especially a 1st yr euro, unless its a goalie dont hold ur breath too much on a euro trying to save anything for the Blades next year. Most good euro's dont even come across anymore cuz they can get the same exposure in there own country as they do in the CHL....the only benefit they get now from coming over here to play is playing on the smaller ice surface

Nikita Zadorov made a pretty big impact in London this past season. I think it really depends on the club's connections overseas though, and I wonder if Molleken/Whomever takes over as GM has the connections that can lead to big talent coming over.

I have a feeling the Blades will take two younger Europeans, though. They had success with Stransky following the formula.

I also have to wonder if the Blades might be looking at some overagers from the OHL and QMJHL that get released and don't grab onto a team in their league.

patsdude114
05-27-2013, 04:32 PM
he was a 3/4 Dman playing behind Maatta & Harrington, not taking anything away from him as he is a solid guy but look at the team he played on too 1 of the deepest teams in the OHL....come next year with the Blades they are going to be prob 1 of the youngest teams in the league & it will take alot more then a Zadorov type to make a big impact.

But i do agree it is all about connections when it comes to these euro's, sometimes u get lucky & snag a good 1 that works out, but more times then not they are just another avg player in our leagues. Also i dont see why on earth the Blades would look to the other leagues to fill any 20yr old spots when u alreday have 4 or 5 coming back next year. Just doesnt make alot of sense plus they are all capable of being 20yr olds on any other team in the league, so there will be some tough decisions in who they keep & who they trade.

Trav
05-27-2013, 05:17 PM
The one thing that I like bout Molleken is that he does do pretty good in the import draft. Out of all the players that didn't do well I'd say the number would b around 5 or so. Stransky was a second round pick and he also pulled off steals when he got Makarov, Khudobin and Kytnar.

Trading for Fiala and Viedensky also paid off.

Konecny, Gustafsson, Visnak and Brandis didn't work out to well but this is over a long period of time

patsdude114
05-27-2013, 05:31 PM
I for 1 liked Gustafsson when he was in Stoon, Regina & Brandon. He had skill just couldnt handle the physical play as much. It has always seemed the Pats coaches have never liked euros, Hunt never gave any euro much of a chance, Conacher was pretty much the same as well (see Vasko who was easily the 3rd most skilled guy on the Pats but they sent him home cuz he wouldnt dump n chase)

Trav
05-27-2013, 05:36 PM
I guess Gustafsson could've worked had Viedensky not been sent back by San Jose. He did look good in training camp.

I also forgot bout the Slovak that the Blades drafted but then he didn't show up until after Christmas when the Giants had him.

Nook
05-27-2013, 05:48 PM
I guess Gustafsson could've worked had Viedensky not been sent back by San Jose. He did look good in training camp.

I also forgot bout the Slovak that the Blades drafted but then he didn't show up until after Christmas when the Giants had him.

Andrej Statsny, if I remember correctly. Lit it up during his 30 WHL games.

Madmax
05-27-2013, 06:01 PM
he was a 3/4 Dman playing behind Maatta & Harrington, not taking anything away from him as he is a solid guy but look at the team he played on too 1 of the deepest teams in the OHL....come next year with the Blades they are going to be prob 1 of the youngest teams in the league & it will take alot more then a Zadorov type to make a big impact.

But i do agree it is all about connections when it comes to these euro's, sometimes u get lucky & snag a good 1 that works out, but more times then not they are just another avg player in our leagues. Also i dont see why on earth the Blades would look to the other leagues to fill any 20yr old spots when u alreday have 4 or 5 coming back next year. Just doesnt make alot of sense plus they are all capable of being 20yr olds on any other team in the league, so there will be some tough decisions in who they keep & who they trade.
Your imports also depend a lot on how much money the team wants to spend getting them. And your so right on the 20 year olds. Its really the only bargaining chip they have left to work with. Some of them could bring a decent return.

Trav
05-27-2013, 06:27 PM
A 20 yr old for a first round import pick would b ideal to...only problem there would b not many teams have both their imports returning. If I'm Molleken I'd b calling Seattle, msybe offer them Moodie

Trav
05-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Your imports also depend a lot on how much money the team wants to spend getting them. And your so right on the 20 year olds. Its really the only bargaining chip they have left to work with. Some of them could bring a decent return.

There's a limit though how much teams can spend, last I heard there was a 2 thousand dollar transfer fee

Nook
05-27-2013, 06:47 PM
There's a limit though how much teams can spend, last I heard there was a 2 thousand dollar transfer fee

I'll be honest; with the financial boost the Memorial Cup has given the Blades, they would be better served to put that to use trying to attract talent to the organization. Spend to the limits (but not over, don't want to be like Portland.)

Maybe put money into management, scouting, and coaching and development. Make the organization sound like a strong option for someone to come to if they want to make it to the next level.

This organization should definitely have a thirst for Memorial Cup success now, if they didn't before. I know the fans had a little taste of what it feels like when they beat Halifax, and it was fun.

Time to get there through the front door, not the back basement window. And it starts today.

Trav
05-27-2013, 07:03 PM
It's interesting, the other day I noticed Portland has around 20 scouts. The Blades around 7 or 8. Seems to me Brodsky is trying to b cheap. You can't run a team with a small number of scouts.

Nook
05-27-2013, 07:07 PM
It's interesting, the other day I noticed Portland has around 20 scouts. The Blades around 7 or 8. Seems to me Brodsky is trying to b cheap. You can't run a team with a small number of scouts.

Well exactly. Although I admire Portland's success, I don't want to risk going down the road that they did to get that success.

But the Blades have to be willing to spend more on the "little" things.

I'm also wondering right now if the Thrower trade today means that Molleken is staying on as GM. Or if it was a "take it or leave it" deal that they had to have.

Madmax
05-27-2013, 07:19 PM

The transfer fee doesn't buy a players release from his present club.

Trav
05-27-2013, 07:24 PM
The transfer fee doesn't buy a players release from his present club.

Still, there's a limit they can give to secure a player's release and it's not very high

patsdude114
05-27-2013, 08:44 PM
A 20 yr old for a first round import pick would b ideal to...only problem there would b not many teams have both their imports returning. If I'm Molleken I'd b calling Seattle, msybe offer them Moodie

Im think Lang will be offering up a goalie to Seattle, they got no goalie moving forward this year & they will need something in the crease to soften the blow & wait for the development of 1 of there really young guys.

Pats have 3 19yr olds 2 of them i do believe belong in the league between Sacher & Beukeboom it was right down to the end to determine who was going to be the backup last season. As for MacAuley he is kind of the wild card between all 3 guys. Plus we got 18yr old Tanner Burgardt who pushed both Sacher & Beukeboom either 3 could of been our backup last year. It just didnt make alot of sense at the draft when the Pats added a 3rd 19yr old goalie unless he knows he can unload 1 forsure.

If the Blades moved Moodie who would be there goalie? Do you go even younger between the pipes then a 18yr old? As much as you are rebuilding next season you have to also set them up for abit of success cause too much failure does nothing for a rebuild. Moodie did struggle this season but he does still have some potential, I think he really felt the pressure from such a huge season & with the early struggles of the team it was like the weight was all on his shoulders when he did get in there, instead of thinking 'just go out there & stop the puck" his thinking was more 'i cant allow a bad goal'

Trav
05-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Don't b surprised if they take an import goaltender seeing how they have had pretty good success with them. I think Moodie would benefit with a change of scenery and if they take a goaltender in the import draft Moodie will b gone. Seattle could use Moodie.

Madmax
05-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Still, there's a limit they can give to secure a player's release and it's not very high

Really? You think some of the top Russian and Swedish players are being released for 3 grand? Sorry its a lot more than that.

Trav
05-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Really? You think some of the top Russian and Swedish players are being released for 3 grand? Sorry its a lot more than that.

The OHL and Quebec leagues were turning s blind eye to what teams there were doing which was making big payments to the top end players.

The WHL seem to enforce the rules when it comes to imports.

The CHL have changed the rules of the import draft that will hopefully give the small market teams a shot at the top players, whether it'll work, who knows.

Madmax
05-27-2013, 10:55 PM
The OHL and Quebec leagues were turning s blind eye to what teams there were doing which was making big payments to the top end players.

The WHL seem to enforce the rules when it comes to imports.

The CHL have changed the rules of the import draft that will hopefully give the small market teams a shot at the top players, whether it'll work, who knows.

They can change the rules all they want. It wasn't the top end players that were getting the money. Its the teams that own their playing rights. Why are some teams drafting high end Rissian and Swedes after other teams have passed on them. It because of the cost. Its upwards of 50 grand to get these guys released.

Nook
05-27-2013, 11:08 PM
They can change the rules all they want. It wasn't the top end players that were getting the money. Its the teams that own their playing rights. Why are some teams drafting high end Rissian and Swedes after other teams have passed on them. It because of the cost. Its upwards of 50 grand to get these guys released.

I believe it. How else do you explain London getting Zadorov and Maatta, Quebec getting Radulov, etc.

Just watch, Olli Maatta will be gone next season and the Knights will pick up another impact Euro.

You see a lot more impact European players go to the bigger centres in the WHL, too.

Kind of funny that a lot of the dirty pool was gong on in Mr. Branch's league, when he's supposed to be the head honcho/whistle blower of the entire CHL. Robinson layed into the Winterhawks for their infractions. Windsor and London got slaps on the wrist.

Trav
05-27-2013, 11:13 PM

I was meaning the Ontario and Quebec teams were paying the big bucks to the Euro teams but u can bet the players were getting a chunk as well.

The WHL from what I've been told in the past keep a close eye on the big profit teams when it comes to imports which is good although u can tell some teams benefit more then other teams. Portland, Calgary snd Edmonton to name a few

Trav
05-27-2013, 11:19 PM
I believe it. How else do you explain London getting Zadorov and Maatta, Quebec getting Radulov, etc.

Just watch, Olli Maatta will be gone next season and the Knights will pick up another impact Euro.

You see a lot more impact European players go to the bigger centres in the WHL, too.

Kind of funny that a lot of the dirty pool was gong on in Mr. Branch's league, when he's supposed to be the head honcho/whistle blower of the entire CHL. Robinson layed into the Winterhawks for their infractions. Windsor and London got slaps on the wrist.

Really the two big factors in the import draft are obvious. It's the connections and money involved. Chances r teams like PG won't be able to get impact imports ever

Madmax
05-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Really the two big factors in the import draft are obvious. It's the connections and money involved. Chances r teams like PG won't be able to get impact imports ever

Any team that is owned by a Brodsky will never get a high end import draft pick in. They won't spend the money.

Trav
05-28-2013, 12:11 AM
We have seen some pretty good imports here. Like I said earlier, Molleken has done well in the draft

curwie
05-28-2013, 12:23 AM
We have seen some pretty good imports here. Like I said earlier, Molleken has done well in the draft

Agreed.

patsdude114
05-28-2013, 06:22 AM

Maatta I believe will only be 19yrs old & pittsburgh has a lot of depth on there blueline. I don't see pittsburgh taking him out of junior hockey with an assured 3 appearance in a Memorial Cup tournament plus another World Junior tournament as well. All that experience is priceless in a players development, if Pittsburgh wants a young blueliner on there backend they can go with 21yr old Harrington instead. God I still wish the Flames would of drafted Maatta last year they have had 2 cracks at him at the draft & could of said 'its Maattaa or nothing' in the Iginla trade.

Nook
05-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Maatta I believe will only be 19yrs old & pittsburgh has a lot of depth on there blueline. I don't see pittsburgh taking him out of junior hockey with an assured 3 appearance in a Memorial Cup tournament plus another World Junior tournament as well. All that experience is priceless in a players development, if Pittsburgh wants a young blueliner on there backend they can go with 21yr old Harrington instead. God I still wish the Flames would of drafted Maatta last year they have had 2 cracks at him at the draft & could of said 'its Maattaa or nothing' in the Iginla trade.

If you were at the Memorial Cup, you could've had your give Feaster a piece of your mind. He was there for at least a couple of games... I sat not far from him twice. A few people got pictures with him, but being an Oilers fan I didn't really pay much attention to him. I did notice that he was e-mailing a lot on his iPhone.

I forgot that Maatta was so young, though.

twentyone
05-28-2013, 08:43 AM

I don't think anyone is hoping for an imediate impact. I mean Lorne needs to find a good young 16-17 yr old Euro and develop him like he did with Stransky and Niemi. He needs to find a gem like PA did with Draisatel. I still can't believe he is only 17.

Blades need to rebuild with young 17 yr olds this year and develop them aiming to make playoffs in 2015-16 with guys like Nogier, Graham, Revel and a couple of those developed euro's leading the way as 19 yr olds. At the same time loading up on draft picks the next 2 years.

I will be interested to see how Moodie fairs next year as the starter. I would let him have the reigns for this year. See what he has got and then next year go woth a young guy in their system.

Nook
05-28-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't think anyone is hoping for an imediate impact. I mean Lorne needs to find a good young 16-17 yr old Euro and develop him like he did with Stransky and Niemi. He needs to find a gem like PA did with Draisatel. I still can't believe he is only 17.

Blades need to rebuild with young 17 yr olds this year and develop them aiming to make playoffs in 2015-16 with guys like Nogier, Graham, Revel and a couple of those developed euro's leading the way as 19 yr olds. At the same time loading up on draft picks the next 2 years.

I will be interested to see how Moodie fairs next year as the starter. I would let him have the reigns for this year. See what he has got and then next year go woth a young guy in their system.

I think Moodie will be fine. His performance in limited time this year was more or less a product of the entire team feeling the pressure of being Memorial Cup hosts. He'll have to be a leader on the club next year. If Lorne/Whomever is GM doesn't have confidence in him, they will be acquiring another goalie or drafting one in the import draft.

I really think he'll be okay, though.

I also hope that the Blades will be willing to put some of that Memorial Cup cash into paying a bigger transfer fee for a big name import or two.

Trav
05-28-2013, 12:17 PM
I think Moodie will be fine. His performance in limited time this year was more or less a product of the entire team feeling the pressure of being Memorial Cup hosts. He'll have to be a leader on the club next year. If Lorne/Whomever is GM doesn't have confidence in him, they will be acquiring another goalie or drafting one in the import draft.

I really think he'll be okay, though.

I also hope that the Blades will be willing to put some of that Memorial Cup cash into paying a bigger transfer fee for a big name import or two.

I've learned that really the Blades won't get a whole lot out of the Memorial cup profits. It's spread out pretty evenly to all the CHL teams.

Not to many guys bounce back after a not so great season. Remember Adam Todd? He was expected to be a solid backup to Makarov last season but for whatever reason he bombed when he was in net, now he's no where to be seen. This year, Moodie came in and took over as backup and while he did fare better then Todd did, he had some bad games to. Really won't be surprised if they take an import goaltender, should there be one thats good and willing to come over.

Of course if the Blades decide to go with two 17 yr old imports which wouldn't be a bad idea, providing they can contribute now a bit then I'd guess neither of their imports will be a goaltender, doubt they'd take a 17 yr old goaltender.

Nook
06-04-2013, 04:31 PM
I would guess that Lorne is probably staying on as HC and GM if no announcement has been made already.

Trav
06-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I would guess that Lorne is probably staying on as HC and GM if no announcement has been made already.

it's possible he mite be waiting to see if a certain individual would come and be the head coach. I think Molleken would be making a huge mistake if he stayed as head coach.

Nook
06-04-2013, 11:00 PM
it's possible he mite be waiting to see if a certain individual would come and be the head coach. I think Molleken would be making a huge mistake if he stayed as head coach.

*cough* Glen Gulutzan *cough*

Madmax
06-05-2013, 10:14 AM

I think Lorne stays on as GM. Not sure who he hires as a coach though. Strutch has put his time in and I think under these circumstances deserves a shot.

Crush Kill Destroy
06-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I think Lorne stays on as GM. Not sure who he hires as a coach though. Strutch has put his time in and I think under these circumstances deserves a shot.

If Molleken was to step down as coach, and Struch was his "1st choice" as replacement, the Blades would have no reason to have not publicly announced it by now.

The situation is likely that another individual, possibly Gulutzan, is the 1st choice. The Blades would likely have to wait for the end of the NHL and AHL seasons, as most open professional positions get filled within 15-20 days of that time period. Gulutzan, considering he has been an NHL head coach, would likely want to see what other opportunities might be available to him.

twentyone
06-06-2013, 10:56 AM
If Molleken was to step down as coach, and Struch was his "1st choice" as replacement, the Blades would have no reason to have not publicly announced it by now.

The situation is likely that another individual, possibly Gulutzan, is the 1st choice. The Blades would likely have to wait for the end of the NHL and AHL seasons, as most open professional positions get filled within 15-20 days of that time period. Gulutzan, considering he has been an NHL head coach, would likely want to see what other opportunities might be available to him.

Way too many NHL jobs vacant right now. If in fact Lorne steps down I am sure they are waiting to see what happens. My feeling is Gulutzan is the man they want unless he gets another job in the NHL. I agree if Strutch was there guy it would have been announced.

Western Elite
06-06-2013, 02:39 PM
With the CHL Import Draft coming up on July 3rd, who would you all like to see the Blades get? By "who", I mean would you like a dman and a goalie, a couple forwards, one of each? Would you like to see a pair of young 17 yr olds for the rebuild or an older guy to help now and a young guy?

Some possible top players to come and the Vancouver Giants apparently are interested in taking Maxim Lazarov 1st overall.

Valari Nichushkin, Martin Kokes, Jan Stencel, David Pastrnak, Rene Svoboda, Andrei Filonenko, Adrian Svoboda, Maxim Lazarov, Jakub Vrana, Ivan Nikolishin, Pavel Jenys, Yevgeni Svechnikov, Yegor Orlov, Aleksi Saarela, Parker Tuomie - PA Raiders.

Madmax
06-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Way too many NHL jobs vacant right now. If in fact Lorne steps down I am sure they are waiting to see what happens. My feeling is Gulutzan is the man they want unless he gets another job in the NHL. I agree if Strutch was there guy it would have been announced.

Brodsky won't pay for both Mollekin and Gulutzan. I don't see Lorne moving and he indicated he was coming back, just didn't say what capacity. If Lorne is the GM it will be his call who coaches but it will have financial restraints on it.

Nook
06-06-2013, 11:16 PM
With the CHL Import Draft coming up on July 3rd, who would you all like to see the Blades get? By "who", I mean would you like a dman and a goalie, a couple forwards, one of each? Would you like to see a pair of young 17 yr olds for the rebuild or an older guy to help now and a young guy?

Some possible top players to come and the Vancouver Giants apparently are interested in taking Maxim Lazarov 1st overall.

Valari Nichushkin, Martin Kokes, Jan Stencel, David Pastrnak, Rene Svoboda, Andrei Filonenko, Adrian Svoboda, Maxim Lazarov, Jakub Vrana, Ivan Nikolishin, Pavel Jenys, Yevgeni Svechnikov, Yegor Orlov, Aleksi Saarela, Parker Tuomie - PA Raiders.

Nichushkin has NHL potential already... I'd rather the Blades go with some younger guys.... let them develop like Stransky did.

Trav
06-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Brodsky won't pay for both Mollekin and Gulutzan. I don't see Lorne moving and he indicated he was coming back, just didn't say what capacity. If Lorne is the GM it will be his call who coaches but it will have financial restraints on it.

Well maybe Brodsky should put more money in to his team so we can get our money's worth.

Madmax
06-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Well maybe Brodsky should put more money in to his team so we can get our money's worth.

Wouldn't that be wonderful, maybe we could actually win a league championship or a MC.

Nook
06-09-2013, 09:16 PM

If he can't, then maybe it's time they go looking for an ownership partner. Lots of money in this province/city.

Madmax
06-09-2013, 09:53 PM
If he can't, then maybe it's time they go looking for an ownership partner. Lots of money in this province/city.

Having the money isn't the problem.

wango tango
06-10-2013, 03:48 PM
which of these choices would convince you to buy tickets for games next season?

a complete house cleaning.

lorne molleken back as general manager, and a new coaching staff.

lorne molleken back as general manager, dave struch as head coach.

patsdude114
06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
What about lorne molleken back as general manager & head coach? Cuz it almost seems that is going to be his direction, since Brodsky is too cheap to hire a separate guy

Nook
06-11-2013, 07:49 AM
which of these choices would convince you to buy tickets for games next season?

a complete house cleaning.

lorne molleken back as general manager, and a new coaching staff.

lorne molleken back as general manager, dave struch as head coach.

I'll probably go anyways, since I'm genuinely excited about the idea of rebuilding the club.

I will say one thing though... Molleken deserves to be able to make his own decision about his future. He's lead this club to what, 5 straight 40-win seasons? That's pretty impressive. Playoff success has been absent, but that may or may not be a Molleken thing.

He's probably the best GM this club has had in a long time. But if he decides it's time to walk away, then so be it.

Quarter Century Fan
06-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm not a Blades fan but I think it would make sense to have Lorne work as only the GM and bring in a new head coach and have the new coach hire an assistant coach. It will take several years to rebuild and that gives the new coach sufficient time to get the player to fully learn new systems.:bounce:

JMoney1988
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
http://saskatoonblades.com/article/chl-announces-import-draft-change

I think it's a mistake

Nook
06-13-2013, 02:23 PM
http://saskatoonblades.com/article/chl-announces-import-draft-change

I think it's a mistake

Hockey Canada not developing goalies isn't a CHL/WHL/OHL/QMJHL thing. It's a systematic thing in the minor hockey levels. Banning European goalies isn't going to do anything.

If you ban European goalies, then you should ban American goalies as well. I don't care if the CHL has American teams. It's the Canadian Hockey League.

You can't just ban one and not ban the other.

Nook
06-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Les Lazaruk's opinion on the Blades personnel issue. (http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/june-14th/itemid_60-dp2)

If they're waiting for the contracts to expire, that probably means they might be looking elsewhere for a coach.

Thing is, if you want Gulutzan, you're going to have to wait until every NHL and AHL position is filled. It wouldn't surprise me if Gulutzan replaces Eakins with the Marlies.

Madmax
06-14-2013, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Nook;191204]Les Lazaruk's opinion on the Blades personnel issue. (http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/june-14th/itemid_60-dp2)

If they're waiting for the contracts to expire, that probably means they might be looking elsewhere for a coach.

Thing is, if you want Gulutzan, you're going to have to wait until every NHL and AHL position is filled. It wouldn't surprise me if Gulutzan replaces Eakins with the Marlies.[/QUOTe

Gulutzan would be committing career suicide in the NHL coming to coach Saskatoon this soon.

curwie
06-15-2013, 01:12 AM
[QUOTE=Nook;191204]Les Lazaruk's opinion on the Blades personnel issue. (http://www.saskatoonhomepage.ca/june-14th/itemid_60-dp2)

Thing is, if you want Gulutzan, you're going to have to wait until every NHL and AHL position is filled. It wouldn't surprise me if Gulutzan replaces Eakins with the Marlies.[/QUOTe

Gulutzan would be committing career suicide in the NHL coming to coach Saskatoon this soon.

Agreed except for the career suicide part. If the Blades hire Gulutzan one has to believe that he would only be here short term until a better position opened up for him at a higher level. I want to build this team with the coach that will be here the next 3 to 5 years. That doesn't sound like Gulutzan to me. Struch and Lesychen would be the guys that make the most sense to me.

twentyone
06-25-2013, 10:18 AM
I wonder what the Blades would have to give up for a guy like Alex Forsbeg. The guy is clearly good enough for the Dub, he is from Waldheim so I am sure he would entertain playing for the Blades. And the Brodsky connection with PG helps in a trade as well. He could definetly help this team for the next couple years and could be an asset as a 19 yr old at trade deadline in a couple years. I would definetly entertain it.

Nook
06-27-2013, 11:02 AM
I wonder what the Blades would have to give up for a guy like Alex Forsbeg. The guy is clearly good enough for the Dub, he is from Waldheim so I am sure he would entertain playing for the Blades. And the Brodsky connection with PG helps in a trade as well. He could definetly help this team for the next couple years and could be an asset as a 19 yr old at trade deadline in a couple years. I would definetly entertain it.

Well, for Forsberg's benefit, he should be in the WHL. Playing in the SJHL with no NCAA option isn't good. He will probably still get drafted, but his NHL club is going to want him playing WHL hockey. Would PG be willing to give him a chance in another organization and get an asset, or are they going to want to play hardball with him?

I would imagine that they'll try and get him into camp, and failing that, they'll deal him for something at the beginning of the season.