PDA

View Full Version : Raiders trade Jake Kryski

Wildeyes
07-10-2013, 11:00 AM
the Raiders have acquired goaltender Cole Cheveldave and a 4th round pick in 2015 in exchange for Jake Kryski and a 7th in 2014.

Dwight Schrute
07-10-2013, 11:44 AM
How u gonna defend this one kev ? Lol not impressed at all

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 11:47 AM
the Raiders have acquired goaltender Cole Cheveldave and a 4th round pick in 2015 in exchange for Jake Kryski and a 7th in 2014.Thought something would happen with Kryski after he (apparently) chose not to sign, following rookie summer camp.

Wanted Cheveldave last year, got Siemens instead.

With CChev playing in CClouston's (supposedly) defensive system, the goals against could be even lower this season.

HAPPY!

Completely changes the landscape for Parenteau, McBride, and Desautels though.

Hmmmn.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
...not impressed at allColour me shocked, Dwight.

-Wapitikev

JMoney1988
07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
It looks like you guys are keeping the trend of picking up 20 year old goalies for your seasons, Tucker, Heemskerk, Siemens, Cheveldave........

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 12:15 PM
It looks like you guys are keeping the trend of picking up 20 year old goalies for your seasons, Tucker, Heemskerk, Siemens, Cheveldave........Only partially...to be a trend we also would have either not had any promising goalie prospects and desperately needed the 20yo OR we would have traded any promising goalie prospect in favour of the 20yo.

So far we still have Parenteau, McBride and Desautels in the wings.

PS. don't think Heemskerk ever donned the green/white/gold. Did you mean Butler?

Plus Tucker arrived as a 19yo.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
could be thinking of Garrett Zemlak

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 12:31 PM
could be thinking of Garrett ZemlakI suppose, but Zemmer was here for 2 seasons as well.

-Wapitikev

mill rat
07-10-2013, 12:31 PM
we sure gave up a lot for a 20 year old goalie.

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 12:39 PM
we sure gave up a lot for a 20 year old goalie.Only if Kryski becomes the next Gretzky...which I doubt...and if he never intended to play here, then what would we have gotten out of him by keeping him?

I'll take something over nothing any day of the week.

-Wapitikev

mill rat
07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Only if Kryski becomes the next Gretzky...which I doubt...and if he never intended to play here, then what would we have gotten out of him by keeping him?

I'll take something over nothing any day of the week.

-Wapitikev

cheveldave must be patrick roy or martin brodeur then or you were just going for hyperbole with the gretzky reference. but yeah, giving up first rounders for 1 year players. that's the way build a future. looks like the gm is making decisions based on 'if' he won't play here. that's merely a built in excuse.

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
...and Cole Chev is a fair bit more than just a little something.

Besides...Eric Williams, Sawyer Lange and Connor Hobbs were Raiders 4th round picks in recent years...so the 4th round pick in 2015 has a decent chance of paying off with a roster spot in 2016 or 17.

Still happy.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
07-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know for sure that Kryski wouldn't report to camp? Last year Bruno went to extraordinary lengths to persuade Leon Draisaitl to travel half way around the world to come to PA. Seems like he would have shown some more patience and exercised some salesmanship to get a 1st round pick to honor the WHL Bantam Draft selection process.

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 01:09 PM
cheveldave must be patrick roy or martin brodeur then or you were just going for hyperbole with the gretzky reference. but yeah, giving up first rounders for 1 year players. that's the way build a future. looks like the gm is making decisions based on 'if' he won't play here. that's merely a built in excuse.Jake Kryski wasn't the future of this franchise...he's one player; a player who hasn't even played a single WHL game yet and may decide to never do so...in PA or anywhere else.

Do you really believe, given the forwards that we currently have, that the team developed through the draft and the list over the past 5 years, that the Raiders offence will be non-existent in 2 years due to losing this one kid?

Until the GM starts trading away all our first round picks, I think I'll forgo the panic about our future.

And as far as "if" goes, the GM and the Head Scout/Director of Player Development probably have a better idea about the boy's intentions regarding playing in PA than most of us here on this message board.

Call it an excuse, if it makes you happy.

But your argument has not convinced me that it was a bad trade.

-Wapitikev

mill rat
07-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Jake Kryski wasn't the future of this franchise...he's one player; a player who hasn't even played a single WHL game yet and may decide to never do so...in PA or anywhere else.

Do you really believe, given the forwards that we currently have, that the team developed through the draft and the list over the past 5 years, that the Raiders offence will be non-existent in 2 years due to losing this one kid?

Until the GM starts trading away all our first round picks, I think I'll forgo the panic about our future.

And as far as "if" goes, the GM and the Head Scout/Director of Player Development probably have a better idea about the boy's intentions regarding playing in PA than most of us here on this message board.

Call it an excuse, if it makes you happy.

But your argument has not convinced me that it was a bad trade.

-Wapitikev

you were the one throwing around the 'if' to justify the trade. and it is an excuse.

i think it's a bad idea to trade to a 1st round pick for a 1 year player. and nowhere did i say the kryski kid was a franchise player. he's a first rounder. and that's where most successes are built in this league with the development of first round prospects. that's one less 1st round prospect the raiders won't have 2 years down the road.

of course you're not convinced you're a campese apologist. and i'll admit it i thought he should have been fired after the 2011-2012 season. draisaitl aside, he hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise since then.

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Does anyone know for sure that Kryski wouldn't report to camp? Last year Bruno went to extraordinary lengths to persuade Leon Draisaitl to travel half way around the world to come to PA. Seems like he would have shown some more patience and exercised some salesmanship to get a 1st round pick to honor the WHL Bantam Draft selection process.I have no idea what the process was but, as you say given Bruno's due diligence with past draft choices, should we assume that the same was NOT done, this year? That seems unlikely.

What has been reported in the media:
-Kryski reported to summer camp.
-No announcement of Kryski signing a WHL contract was made, before the trade.
-Dylan Williamson (3rd pick in 2013) reported to summer camp
-Dylan was offered and HAS signed a WHL contract.

...was Kryski even offered a WHL contract? Don't know.

The fact that our 3rd pick in 2013 was offered a contract AND signed makes me suspect that our 1st pick was offered one as well...as does the fact that our first two picks in 2012 were offered, and signed, a WHL contract.

If Jake was offered one, it wasn't signed.

Was that the reason for the trade? Don't know.

...now you know what I know for sure, and what I suspect.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 02:13 PM
you were the one throwing around the 'if' to justify the trade. and it is an excuse.

i think it's a bad idea to trade to a 1st round pick for a 1 year player. and nowhere did i say the kryski kid was a franchise player. he's a first rounder. and that's where most successes are built in this league with the development of first round prospects. that's one less 1st round prospect the raiders won't have 2 years down the road.The GM and his coaches seem to have developed their first round picks pretty well, thus far. Wasn't Josh Morrissey the highest drafted Raider since Scott Hartnell (2000), despite our bad second 1/2?

I have no idea what Jake is like, but we'd have done pretty good to trade Cole Penner for a proven 20yo goalie.

Would it have been good have Jake 2-years down the road? Sure, but the sky is not falling if we don't.

of course you're not convinced you're a campese apologist. and i'll admit it i thought he should have been fired after the 2011-2012 season. draisaitl aside, he hasn't done anything to convince me otherwise since then.It's easy to be unconvinced when you consider positive accomplishments to be apologies...a common symptom of the hopelessly negative.

Keep smiling, MR.

-Wapitikev

mill rat
07-10-2013, 02:37 PM
[/QUOTE]...a common symptom of the hopelessly negative.

Keep smiling, MR.

-Wapitikev[/QUOTE]

thank you for the diagnosis. jackass.

puckdad
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
Most teams will find out during their interviews with players & parents whether or not a prospect will have any reservations about playing in a particular location or for a particular franchise. Some families will let it be known that they want their son to play in a division close to home, or want to avoid a certain coach or perennial losing team.
I find it hard to believe that PA would not have done their due diligence on a 1st round pick to ensure that he would be willing to play here.

puckdad
07-10-2013, 03:28 PM
I cannot understand this trade at all. Remember, we traded our 2nd round pick this year to Medicine Hat in the Busenius/Hart deal, now traded our 1st round pick for a 1- year player, stop-gap, quick fix instead of developing our draft picks. We didn't have a 3rd Round pick (traded that to Vancouver), or a 4th Round Pick (Traded That to Regina). So out of our 2013 draft, we do not have a player in our system until the 88th pick overall from Portland, Dylan Williamson. Not the way to build a team, when you don't have any players until 88th overall.

You have to expect your 1st pick to be a solid player for at least 3 years in the league, maybe 5 years, if he plays as an overage. To trade your future success for immediate help is a sure sign of desperation.

Look at the 2 WHL league finalists this year:
Portland: Every player except Seth Jones was drafted & developed by that franchise with a framework for success now & in the future. They don't trade away their assets, they develop their skills into a successful team.
Edmonton: Similarly, every player except 2: David Musil & Trevor Cheek was drafted & developed by the team. 3 & 4 years ago we battled this team for the 8th playoff spot. Now they have been to the league final twice and to the Mem Cup Tourney. PA is still talking about making that 8th playoff spot, but continue to trade away their future.

My hopes for a successful WHL future here just took another shot in the gut.

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 03:55 PM
thank you for the diagnosis. jackass.
Campese apologist AND jackass...you're just full of sunshine today.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
07-10-2013, 03:58 PM
So then your saying its ok to spend a extremely valuable asset (first rounder) who still can't play in the dub for another year be so sure of and convinced in him to select him only to dump him off for another overage goalie instead of waiting So either they screwed up 1 drafting him or 2 trading him. Which was it ? Who will take ownership of a blown first round pick. Why not just wait its another year till the kids even eligable.
Jeez it's only been two months since the draft what made the kid sour so fast

puckdad
07-10-2013, 04:13 PM
I dunno, Dwight. This is mismanagement to the nth degree.
This 2013 draft has got to be an all-time worst. No prospects until 88th overall. ***? What kind of team will PA have in 3 years?

Wapitikev
07-10-2013, 04:55 PM
I cannot understand this trade at all. Remember, we traded our 2nd round pick this year to Medicine Hat in the Busenius/Hart deal, now traded our 1st round pick for a 1- year player, stop-gap, quick fix instead of developing our draft picks. You have to expect your 1st pick to be a solid player for at least 3 years in the league, maybe 5 years, if he plays as an overage. To trade your future success for immediate help is a sure sign of desperation.

Look at the 2 WHL league finalists this year:
Portland: Every player except Seth Jones was drafted & developed by that franchise with a framework for success now & in the future. They don't trade away their assets, they develop their skills into a successful team.
Edmonton: Similarly, every player except 2: David Musil & Trevor Cheek was drafted & developed by the team. 3 & 4 years ago we battled this team for the 8th playoff spot. Now they have been to the league final twice and to the Mem Cup Tourney. PA is still talking about making that 8th playoff spot, but continue to trade away their future.

My hopes for a successful WHL future here just took another shot in the gut.To be fair, both those teams have been developing their team properly since before 2009. Edmonton got a head start on things through the expansion draft and Portland was cheating until this year. And both (based on their staffing complements) have budgets that far exceed ours.

The PANow article on the trade explains that developing the players is the reason for the trade. It will allow Parenteau and McBride to develop more slowly (as a backup to Chev) instead of throwing one or both of them to the wolves this season as the starter.

If that plan works, the team would have solid goaltending to build on until perhaps 2019.

That's a foundation for a successful WHL future.

Time will tell how much the lack of 1st or 2nd round players from the 2013 draft class will impact the team in 2015. Bruno has 2 years to fill in the blanks...and he has a track record for finding talent on offense.

That being said, I'd rather we keep our first and second picks for 2014.

With a great crop of 19yo and 18yo players this fall I'm glad that the team has a solid tender to back them up.

Don't sneeze at 8th. 8th in the Conference could easily be 1st in our Division...which means 2nd seed in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Division Champs get a banner, don't they?

-Wapitikev

Sttop
07-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Kev its getting old. I am going to be sitting at training camp laughing when Parentau out plays the vet. They say the goalies in the system aren't ready yet ? how do they know what a good 18 or 17 year old goalie looks like ? The last time Bruno was so sure that he had a star goalie that wasent 20 was Tucker. He defended that trade until he was blue in the face. The fact is he doesn't develop goalies and will run the team out of picks getting a 20 year old goalie every year because he has no clue what a good 17 year old goalie looks like even if he plays under his nose. Nobody has even mentioned that the Blazers wanted to trade Chevaldave . Kozun had better goals against and save % .... no matter how you paint this one Kev ...Bruno is left holding both his ankles. He needed a advisor to save him from this deal. ..... that high of a pick would have netted almost any player in the league.

Dwight Schrute
07-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Kev its getting old. I am going to be sitting at training camp laughing when Parentau out plays the vet. They say the goalies in the system aren't ready yet ? how do they know what a good 18 or 17 year old goalie looks like ? The last time Bruno was so sure that he had a star goalie that wasent 20 was Tucker. He defended that trade until he was blue in the face. The fact is he doesn't develop goalies and will run the team out of picks getting a 20 year old goalie every year because he has no clue what a good 17 year old goalie looks like even if he plays under his nose. Nobody has even mentioned that the Blazers wanted to trade Chevaldave . Kozun had better goals against and save % .... no matter how you paint this one Kev ...Bruno is left holding both his ankles. He needed a advisor to save him from this deal. ..... that high of a pick would have netted almost any player in the league.

If parenteau outplays the vet Bruno will probably trade him away for squat too

puckdad
07-10-2013, 07:25 PM
From all reports, Cole Cheveldave is an excellent citizen, a great goaltender, and solid team-mate. Now that this deal is done, its the fans' job to welcome him to the city and the team, and support as well as we can on and off the ice.

Kind of feel like the people supporting the troops, no matter how inept the generals in charge are.

AAAScout
07-10-2013, 07:29 PM
just another of the long line of issues with the Raiders drafting process has made this trade happen. They didn't do their homework and the kid has told them he will not report to play in PA, so they trade him away for what they feel is a spot of weakness. I am sure they could have got better in this trade even though he is a good goalie and kid. the fact is a 1st round player for a 20 year old goalie is not a good trade at all.

chalk_one_up
07-10-2013, 07:33 PM
This is one of those desperation trades. I think it would have been nice to at least give Desautels a fighting chance. You have to have confidence in what you have. A set-back season is trying to be saved, but at what cost? a good young player? A playoff berth in the 8th seed only to be knocked out in 4?

I guess we get to see this infamous hair flick of Cole's we've heard about. So, since Cole is done after this year, who are the 20-year old goalie candidates for next season?

puckdad
07-10-2013, 07:40 PM
You're right, C1U. The odd man out in this trade is Andy Desautels. The problem is, trying to get something for him will be hard, since he was given so little opportunity to show what he could do in game situations.

Sttop
07-10-2013, 07:40 PM
just another of the long line of issues with the Raiders drafting process has made this trade happen. They didn't do their homework and the kid has told them he will not report to play in PA, so they trade him away for what they feel is a spot of weakness. I am sure they could have got better in this trade even though he is a good goalie and kid. the fact is a 1st round player for a 20 year old goalie is not a good trade at all.

I question the drafting process when they decided with 2nd overall pick that they didn't want Harkins or Estephan. Either way a team should never pick a 1st round player without knowing he will sign or has interest in the team. Anyone remember what Kelly Mc did when he was going to draft Brayden Schenn ?

puckdad
07-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Do you think Bruno got caught in a bidding war for Cheveldave? Like a guy at the auction who overpays for something because someone else runs up the price?

Sttop
07-10-2013, 08:03 PM
no, I think he thought this was a fair price

puckdad
07-10-2013, 08:29 PM
i guess its basically what Saskatoon paid for Ferland at the trade deadline. At least its a whole year instead of half a year. Hope it works out better for us than it did for the Blades.

patsdude114
07-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Does PA & LETH operate under the same guidelines when it comes to acquiring a 20yr old goalie? Only difference was BRN got to pick a player of there choice instead of getting a player who was selected already.

Both teams over paid for avg 20yr old goalies, plus its not like either team (PA or LETH) will be powerhouses who will truely benefit from a 20yr old goalie.

sbtatter
07-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Does PA & LETH operate under the same guidelines when it comes to acquiring a 20yr old goalie? Only difference was BRN got to pick a player of there choice instead of getting a player who was selected already.

Both teams over paid for avg 20yr old goalies, plus its not like either team (PA or LETH) will be powerhouses who will truely benefit from a 20yr old goalie.

Interesting philosophy isn't it? Getting an O/A goalie didn't pan out very well for either team last season, but here they are, right back at it again!!

chalk_one_up
07-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Here's to 8th or 9th place and a possible date with Edmonton, Calgary or Red Deer in the opening round. And then the season after that, no Kryski, Cheveldave, Busenius, Morden, Winther etc.

Back to the cycle, acquire a 20-year old goalie, do nothing in 2015, draft a player who doesn't want to be here, rebuild for 10 seasons, make excuses, fire a winning coach.... please stop me when I mess up the cycle. If only McFee and Broda would let Bruno do what he wants instead of them breathing down his neck telling him what to do.

patsdude114
07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Back to the cycle, acquire a 20-year old goalie, do nothing in 2015, draft a player who doesn't want to be here, rebuild for 10 seasons, make excuses, fire a winning coach.... please stop me when I mess up the cycle. If only McFee and Broda would let Bruno do what he wants instead of them breathing down his neck telling him what to do.

Hey next year you guys can select a 20yr old goalie from the Pats, we have 3 19yr old goalies all with WHL experience coming into our camp this year. Who knows Lang may keep all 3 on the PL to give the Raiders a selection to choose from.............

ghost
07-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Do you think Bruno got caught in a bidding war for Cheveldave? Like a guy at the auction who overpays for something because someone else runs up the price?

I am not sure if Bruno overpaid but really he had no choice. When your 20 year old goalie breaks multiple team records, some standing for 20 years, and is your MVP in both the regular season and playoffs, i would say you have a challenge to fill the role he played. in 2011-12 PA was dead last at 22nd in the WHL, last season with Siemens they were 10th.

patsdude114
07-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Forgive me for not being familiar with the Raiders team records, but what I read in the above post is true & if ireading it correctly....... Seimens broke a few Raider goalie records last season & it wasneven like he was lights out I guess that shows how bad the goaltending has been in PA for many yrs now, I can't remember the last time the Raiders had a legit top goalie in the league, only 1 that ever comes to mind is Beacheim (I'm sure I spelt that wrong & inot going to look it up as I'm on my phone)

ghost
07-12-2013, 09:45 AM
Forgive me for not being familiar with the Raiders team records, but what I read in the above post is true & if ireading it correctly....... Seimens broke a few Raider goalie records last season & it wasneven like he was lights out I guess that shows how bad the goaltending has been in PA for many yrs now, I can't remember the last time the Raiders had a legit top goalie in the league, only 1 that ever comes to mind is Beacheim (I'm sure I spelt that wrong & inot going to look it up as I'm on my phone)

Since you admit you aren't familiar with the Raiders I suggest you check things out before you post. Siemens was brought in to do what could not be accomplished previously, win tight games and give the team a chance every night. I will admit for whatever reason, his best games were not against Regina, they were against Edmonton where the Raiders won all but one match this year. I hate to bust your bubble but he was a big part of the teams success this year. As MVP for the team - something that would have been very hard to earn once, let alone twice, on a team with so many talented players, he played a much more important role than you are willing to give credit for.

For those of us Raiders fans who watched every game I am sure you will agree that Siemens was a large part of the teams success and will leave big shoes and minutes to fill. Siemens was an excellent trade for the Raiders and I hope that Cheveldale works out the same. Remember Bruno is a goalie himself and he does know a thing or two about the position.

hockeynut
07-12-2013, 05:43 PM
I totally agree Siemens was a huge part of the team winning games on nights they shouldnt have bringing chevy in is awesome they will get solid goaltending again but i hope they dont burn him out like they did with Siemens and chevy will be busy and with McNeil and ruopp most likely moving on will be another hole to fill im also disappointed the team let santucci go the team will miss his grit and aways worked hard could of fit in with the new coach

RandyJackson
07-13-2013, 10:22 AM
... And now Kryski has officially signed a contract with Kamloops. That seems fairly indicative that he didn't want to sign with PA, but nonetheless, Bruno hasn't received anything but a goalie for one season (one who will probably consume WAY too many games for our young guns to develop) and the Blazers have gained another JC Lipon or Colin Smith. This is a kid that Bruno should have fought hard to keep.

Hockeyfantastic
07-13-2013, 04:30 PM
This is not the first time when a B.C. hockey player has chosen not to play in the prairies. The unfortunate part is that mom, dad and the player involved certainly will not give any indication the player will not play with PA when interviewed by the WHL team. It is in the best interest of the player to be drafted in the first round and they will do whatever it takes to ensure this happens. If I was a parent of the player, I would say whatever it takes.

Once you have been drafted in the first round, the perspective of the player changes and you can make certain demands - like 'I do not want to play in PA'.

So, now PA was unsuccessful in signing the player. The BC WHL team has the upper hand and probably does not have to give full value in a trade. PA at the same time must get some value. To make matters worse, the WHL does not want to lose any elite players to the NCAA and therefore there is more pressure to make a trade.

Several years ago, Regina indicated it wanted to draft more prairie players for the same reasons. I do not know any of the circumstances involved in this issue, but sometimes the drafting club simply makes the wrong draft choice because of where the player lives and not because of his abilities, size, heart and hockey sense.

Dwight Schrute
07-13-2013, 05:26 PM
He isn't even eligible to play for another 15 months. Why not play hardball with the kid ? I think a decision was rushed into. Jared Cowan told Spokane he didn't want to play there. They drafted him and said if he wants to play in the whl then it will be for them. I consider this poor asset management

patsdude114
07-13-2013, 07:01 PM
I personally don't blame the kid or the parents for not wanting to be playing in PA, ill leave my reasonings to myself, there are some similiar problems with a prairie kid not wanting to go play in PG

One thing I can agree on though you guys didn't get good value on the kid in the trade though.

Dwight Schrute
07-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I personally don't blame the kid or the parents for not wanting to be playing in PA, ill leave my reasonings to myself, there are some similiar problems with a prairie kid not wanting to go play in PG

One thing I can agree on though you guys didn't get good value on the kid in the trade though.

Exactly but if he doesn't want to play for pa then why draft him did he mislead them ? If so then he deserved to not play in the whl

patsdude114
07-14-2013, 10:58 AM
I'm only on my phone & takes too long to really search but what round was this kid selected in? Also what was his overal selection number?

Dwight Schrute
07-14-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm only on my phone & takes too long to really search but what round was this kid selected in? Also what was his overal selection number?

http://www.whl.ca/article/kamloops-blazers-sign-forward-jake-kryski

First round #13 th overall

Trav
07-14-2013, 04:25 PM
The WHL should go to a midget draft so that these kids can have more time to decide what route they wanna go. Can't expect a kid to decide at age 14-15 what route they wanna go. Either that or else improve the education fund. They say its top notch but yet some of the top prospects are still going the NCAA route.

patsdude114
07-14-2013, 04:45 PM
I agree that they should go to a midget draft as well where these kids can step in the very next season after being drafted. Would be easier to identify these players as well as a lot of growing still happens while tese kids are in midget for their 1st year.

As for the education fund we are still comparing Canadian University's to US College's the difference in education still favours the US College route. US college route though is still way more practices compared to games, only so much development can happen in a game which is why there are way more NHL stars from the CHL then from the college route. For a hockey aspect the CHL is the way to go for an education route is US college all the way.

TinCupJoe
07-14-2013, 10:01 PM
What round was Cole Penner drafted?
What did the Raiders finally get for Penner?

scruffy1
07-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Kryski will have to be a monumental screw up to be compared to Penner. The only similarity is Penner cost people thier jobs. Maybe this deal will too.

Dwight Schrute
07-15-2013, 12:01 AM
The WHL should go to a midget draft so that these kids can have more time to decide what route they wanna go. Can't expect a kid to decide at age 14-15 what route they wanna go. Either that or else improve the education fund. They say its top notch but yet some of the top prospects are still going the NCAA route.

That's a really good point the q and o do midget drafts

Dwight Schrute
07-15-2013, 12:03 AM
What round was Cole Penner drafted?
What did the Raiders finally get for Penner?

Took 3+ years before they gave up on him

Wapitikev
07-16-2013, 05:53 PM
Took 3+ years before they gave up on himWho gave up on whom?

Drafted June 2006 traded November 2009 (after failing to report to the Raiders that fall) to the Chilliwack Bruins in return for a 12th round pick in 2010, which turned out to be either Evan Elaschuk or Eric Pfeifer.

Hmmn...trading an asset, sooner, for Cole Cheveldave or "playing hardball" and, after 3 years, getting Evan Elaschuk?

That's a pretty easy choice.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Exactly but if he doesn't want to play for pa then why draft him did he mislead them ? If so then he deserved to not play in the whlDo you honestly think that Dale never asked Jake before the draft if he'd be willing to play in PA?

Maybe the kid said yes but after the draft the parents said no.

Bruno doesn't strike me as the type of GM to change his mind about a player every week or so...I'd say he's way more stubborn than that. If he drafted Kryski knowing that he'd have to play hard ball to get him to PA, then he never would have traded him.

It's more likely that someone in BC changed their mind.

As far as him deserving to play in the WHL goes, Bruno would have to be as stupid as you claim he is to risk playing hardball and getting nothing for him in 2 or three years. Thankfully he learned from the mistake his predecessor made with Penner.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-16-2013, 06:08 PM
That's a really good point the q and o do midget draftsAgreed. Midget draft is a much better idea.

-Wapitikev

Sttop
03-13-2014, 08:30 AM
Thought something would happen with Kryski after he (apparently) chose not to sign, following rookie summer camp.

Wanted Cheveldave last year, got Siemens instead.

With CChev playing in CClouston's (supposedly) defensive system, the goals against could be even lower this season.

HAPPY!

Completely changes the landscape for Parenteau, McBride, and Desautels though.

Hmmmn.

-Wapitikev
U wanted this guy for 2 years ? We would have a better chance if we used a shooter tuitor.

Sttop
03-13-2014, 08:30 AM
I want to see chevy sent home and parentau called up.

puckdad
03-13-2014, 12:12 PM
You can't completely hang this embarrassing loss on goaltending, but those 2 gift goals directly from the tender could not have come at any worse times in the game. Red Deer is getting Play-off goaltending from Bartosak right now, and PA is getting anything but that. Power Play has gone from deadly to dead at the worst possible time. 0 for 6 and 2 short handed goals against is pretty bad. PK has been mediocre, 2nd line not a threat, 3rd line has deteriorated to a level of play even worse than they were 2 years ago as 17-yr-olds. The team is playing with only 3 WHL calibre defensemen, and, other than the 1st line, there is no creativity at all. With 2 games left, both against Saskatoon, each & every player on this team will have to ask themselves if they can take a whole summer wondering "what if" I had given a full & compete effort when it counted the most. They cannot win with only 5 players giving their all and the rest coasting.

BillyBean
03-13-2014, 12:59 PM
You can't completely hang this embarrassing loss on goaltending, but those 2 gift goals directly from the tender could not have come at any worse times in the game. Red Deer is getting Play-off goaltending from Bartosak right now, and PA is getting anything but that. Power Play has gone from deadly to dead at the worst possible time. 0 for 6 and 2 short handed goals against is pretty bad. PK has been mediocre, 2nd line not a threat, 3rd line has deteriorated to a level of play even worse than they were 2 years ago as 17-yr-olds. The team is playing with only 3 WHL calibre defensemen, and, other than the 1st line, there is no creativity at all. With 2 games left, both against Saskatoon, each & every player on this team will have to ask themselves if they can take a whole summer wondering "what if" I had given a full & compete effort when it counted the most. They cannot win with only 5 players giving their all and the rest coasting.

The effort comes from respect for yourself, teammates and head coach. You don't have to like your head coach but you have to respect him. I don't think there is a lack of respect for team mates on this team. I don't think that the players don't respect themselves. Therefore......

Sttop
03-13-2014, 02:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing. But why the flip of the switch? They were playing like a different team until the other night in mj ...then flip the switch and they play as terrible as we have seen all year

BillyBean
03-13-2014, 02:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing. But why the flip of the switch? They were playing like a different team until the other night in mj ...then flip the switch and they play as terrible as we have seen all year

I think during the US road swing they decided to play for themselves, play for pride.... But maybe while they were winning the message from above didn't become more positive or didn't vary so they became even more discouraged.

I'm hoping there is still a little left in the tank for the playoffs this year but it doesn't change the longer term problem that will have to be dealt with eventually as it it was in Brandon.