PDA

View Full Version : Scout Report on Cam Barker

Scout
07-24-2005, 09:32 PM
The Chicago Blackhawks selected Barker with the third overall pick in 2004.

Talent Analysis

A big powerful blueliner who is a deceptively strong skater, at times he looks like he is gliding when in fact his stride just looks that effortless. Physical and alert in his own end, Barker is even better offensively. He quarterbacks the powerplay and has terrific passing abilities. Anything but afraid to jump up into the play, or lead the rush himself, Barker’s offensive totals this past season eclipsed the best year Bouwmeester had in the league.

“Barker’s a hell of a defenseman,” said one NHL scout. “Last year in the playoffs he really elevated his game and played with urgency; when it counts, he shows up a little bit more. I don’t see a lot of top end defensemen better than him.”

Future

The 2005-06 season will be Barker's chance to prove that the long-lingering symptoms of his illness have had no lasting impact on his skill or potential. Barker will compete against fellow prospects Anton Babchuk, Brent Seabrook, Michal Barinka and James Wisniewski for a spot on the Chicago Blackhawks. If he fails to make the show, he'll again call Medicine Hat home. Either way, Barker should once again play for Canada at the World Junior Championships, leading a good but inexperienced defense into battle.

Scout

Tinner
07-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Well Scout, this time i have to disagree with your report with respect to 1 aspect. In the 3 years I have watched him play, he is not physical, in fact, he could go into a corner with a tiffany champayne glass and come out with it intact.

Scout
07-26-2005, 02:45 PM
I actually got this report via e-mail. This is a report that is shared on different junior players as seen by other scouts and not just my opinion. It's a combination of 5 or 6 scouts as they see him.

Scout

bandwagonboy
07-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Every now and then you'll see a real mean streak come out in him. Usually it's in important playoff games. When the Tigers were down 3 D-men from suspension in a game against Brandon he layed out a few guys, scored 2 goals and was first star. Many people believe that it's his work ethic. You never know which Barker is going to show up.

BarksBaby4ever
07-31-2005, 07:02 AM
Cam is so a very physical guy when he has to be. Cam's a good player and plays just as good as everybody else. If Cam wasn't a good hockey player then he wouldn't of been drafted to Chicago in the 1st. round 3rd. overall nor would he of been on the National Junior Team playin' for Brent Sutter. Everybody knows how hard it is to play for him. Yes I know he only played 3 games but at least he played. You can't help it when you get sick. Cam makes mistakes. All the other tigers make the same damn mistakes Cam does but nobody rides them like they ride Barker. And yes I've read that same report on Barker.

bandwagonboy
07-31-2005, 08:08 AM
I would say that he's a physical guy when he wants to be.

Yes, other Tigers make some of the same mistakes that Barker does. But when he isn't playing well he gives off the impression that he isn't putting forth effort. When he has an off night he get's beat to every puck and forwards skate around him as though he were a post. The players who work hard and skate their asses off to every puck usually don't get jeered.

He often gives off the appearance that he isn't trying that hard, and when he get's beat it makes much of the Tiger faithful upset.

BarksBaby4ever
07-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Cam's a physical guy alot of times. Yes I will admit that when he doesn't play well he gives off the impression that he isn't puttin' forth effort. Then again when they played P.A. in the playoffs alot of them weren't puttin' forth effort. Those are Clarke MacArthur's and his dad's words. Everybody has an off night. I remember a game or 2 in Red Deer and P.A. durin' playoffs? I'm a faithful Tiger fan as well but the others seem to think Cam has off nights all the time. I don't think he gets beat to every puck. I remember a game in Kooteney where Dawes scored 3 or 4 goals cause nobody stopped him. That wasn't all Barker's fault cause from what I understand we have more then just Barker as a defensemen. Maybe sometimes Cam doesn't or isn't tryin' his hardest but they are only kids tryin' to get drafted and play in the NHL for that's their dream.

bandwagonboy
07-31-2005, 05:23 PM
I maintain that Barker is his own worst enemy at times. Hopefuly not being signed by Chicago will serve as a wake up call.

I feel that the only difference between Barker and Phaneuf is work ethic and attitude.

BarksBaby4ever
07-31-2005, 08:29 PM
I don't think that Cam is his own worst enemy at times. I gather you don't like Barker much or at all. From what I understand the Chicago coach will decide at camp which starts in Sept. if he's gonna sign him. As far as I'm concerned even if it was a wake up call to Barker and he did much better. You and all the other anti Barker fans would still ride him and think he's not any better. At Team Canada I didn't see Sutter benchin' Cam like he did Phaneuf durin' the playoffs.

bandwagonboy
07-31-2005, 09:37 PM
I'm willing to forgive metal miscues and whatnot. When he hustles to every puck and plays hard I cheer him. When he doesn't I don't. All I ask for is effort.

I may not be the biggest Barker fan out there, but I am certainly not his biggest detractor either.

BarksBaby4ever
08-01-2005, 02:30 AM
Well I'm glad your willin' to forgive and that you do cheer on Barker when he deserves it. He does show effort though. I'm guessin' you think he doesn't show effort more than he does. I'm gonna ask a stupid question now. What's a detractor? Is that someone who hates him and picks on him all the time?

Tiger Trauma
08-02-2005, 12:48 PM
I feel that the only difference between Barker and Phaneuf is work ethic and attitude.

I agree with that...If Barker were to give 100% each night...he would be a fan favorite...It just the ordinary fan that see's barker as a lazy player...who doesn't try.....When in fact if 100% effort was to be given each night....His quick hands and powerful shot...and(sometimes) agressive style would rule the league....It takes a talented player to deke out 3 players before hammering a shot from the blueline in the net.....My 2 cents...

BarksBaby4ever
08-02-2005, 04:46 PM
There is no way Cam could give a 100% every night for everybody has off nights. There is not one Tiger that plays 100% every night.

Tiger Trauma
08-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I ment to include that in my post but i forgot. Everybody does have off nights...its just how you manage to control your game by putting in 100% effort