PDA

View Full Version : Giants Training Camp and Pre-Season Discussion

Andrej_The_Giant
09-02-2013, 09:55 AM
May as well get back into this, we're two games into the pre-season thus far and the GMen are 1-0-1 after back-to-back games this weekend. Defeating Kelowna 4-2 on Saturday night and losing in OT to Kamloops on Sunday night.

Our next game is Saturday against Kelowna.

The Giants are currently carrying 29 players on their pre-season roster.

FORWARDS
Ty Ronning
Alec Baer
Dalton Sward
Scott Cooke
Cain Franson
Tristan Sieben
Marek Tvrdon
Thomas Foster
Tyler Benson
Luca Leone
Andreas Eder
Jesse Roach
Travis McEvoy
Jake McClelland
Jackson Houck
Brendan Holterus
Joel Hamilton
Carter Popoff

DEFENCEMEN
Shaun Dosanjh
Blake Orban
Tyler Morrison
Arvin Atwal
Reid Zalitach
Kole Bryks
Jake Kohlhauser
Mason Geertsen
Dalton Thrower

GOALTENDERS
Payton Lee
Ryan Kubic

Priceisright
09-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Mmmm so how many are we allowed to carry? 23?

And do we have any players outside this list that may be back?

Thanks for the list.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Mmmm so how many are we allowed to carry? 23?

And do we have any players outside this list that may be back?

Thanks for the list.

I'd assume we'd carry 22 (13 forwards, 7 D and 2 goaltenders) or 23 with 14 forwards depending on performance during the pre-season. I don't think that Ryan Kubic will stick as a 15 year old back-up and I haven't seen any information regarding Jared Rathjen's or Tyler Fuhr's status so we may acquire a goaltender at some point.

Jakob Stukel would no doubt be on the opening night roster had he not been injured so expect to see him back later in the year.

Dalton Thrower is probably headed to the Bulldogs which would suck, I'd love to see him stick around. We don't have enough size and toughness on our blueline for my liking, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on him.

Tyler Benson might stick around long enough to play in the home opener before returning the midget - hoping he gets into that game at the very least as a way to generate a bit more excitement for the season.

Pleasantly surprised to have Marek Tvrdon back as well. We could use the offence.

Priceisright
09-02-2013, 02:19 PM
I thought Tvrdon was going to be playing in Det AHL team?

Lucic
09-03-2013, 04:59 PM
Dalton Thrower is probably headed to the Bulldogs which would suck, I'd love to see him stick around. We don't have enough size and toughness on our blueline for my liking, I'm keeping my fingers crossed on him.

I'm not convinced he will. In fact I fully expect him to return to junior for his overage season. I mentioned that when the Giants first acquired him. Montreal is deep on defense and the Habs don't have to sign him until next spring so there is no rush to get him under contract. Furthermore he had a bit of an off season last year so it wouldn't be a stretch to suggest he could benefit from one more year in junior. I suppose anything is possible and he could really impress the Habs and earn a contract but I don't think that will happen.

I thought Tvrdon was going to be playing in Det AHL team?

Tvrdon is a harder situation to figure out. I don't think he's ready for pro as there are far too many holes in his all around game. Offensively he is easily ready for the AHL. But as we all know he is more or less useless without the puck to put it bluntly. Until he can figure out how to play in all three zones I'm not sure he will have success at the professional level (in North America anyway). That said he is under contract and if he can impress enough I'm sure he can contribute in Grand Rapids. Whether or not that is the best thing for his overall development is debatable. Obviously Detroit will have to make that call. As good as Tvrdon is, I wouldn't cry if he doesn't return. In fact I'll flat out say it, I'd rather keep the two younger euros we drafted this summer.

Priceisright
09-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Tvrdon did seem quite lazy alot of nights. But where will we get offense :confused: it was bad enough last year with him, when in the line up.

Should be interesting to see if this yrs team can entertain. I didnt think they did that last year.

Lucic
09-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Tvrdon did seem quite lazy alot of nights. But where will we get offense :confused: it was bad enough last year with him, when in the line up.

Keep in mind Tvrdon missed a large majority of the season. In fact he's missed more games due to injury than he's played in his junior career. That has to be a little concerning for Detroit (which is why I can see him being returned).

Having him around would absolutely help offensively but I think a majority of the offense will come from Franson, Houck, Hamilton and youngsters like Baer and Stukel (once he returns from injury). Who knows maybe Sward will finally start producing (although I'm not holding my breath) and maybe Foster shows signs of becoming a more dangerous player? Of course the two Europeans are wildcards at this point but I assume there is some offensive potential in both Eder and Osipov. Thrower will get plenty of points on the back end (assuming he returns). Speaking of Osipov hopefully he isn't injured for too long. I have yet to see him play. I was looking forward to watching him.

I guess it all depends on you expectations. I don't expect this team to be great. They will struggle but I don't think it'll be anything close to like it was last season.

Priceisright
09-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Oh lots of injuries already? LoL , yikes.

Lucic
09-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Stukel was injured a few weeks ago. His knee I believe. I think he will miss the first few months of the season. I just found out about Osipov on Saturday night. I believe it was his shoulder? Doesn't sound like he will out long. Hopefully he's ready to go in time for the regular season.

Hockeyak
09-04-2013, 10:48 AM
What would be the team's options if Tverdon comes back and we then have 3 Euros around???

Lucic
09-06-2013, 03:37 PM
What would be the team's options if Tverdon comes back and we then have 3 Euros around???

Cut or trade one of them.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the update on Osipov, Lucic, I was wondering why he wasn't listed on the Giants pre-season roster page. Hopefully he's back soon.

Eder seems like an intriguing prospect and the more I think about it I would rather see us deal Tvrdon and roll with Eder and Osipov as well. Tvrdon might net a 1st or a 2nd from a contending team which would do more for our rebuild than one year of Tvrdon.

Joel Hamilton is looking like a nice surprise offensively, everytime I read about a game or a scrimmage he's getting on the scoresheet. Looks like he'll be in our top 6. Ronning is seeming like he's having a good camp also.

I like the looks of our team a lot better this year especially once Stukel comes back. We'll be more skilled this year than we were last season.

MeszarosFan
09-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Anyone know what's up with Rathjen? Not on the bench today and not listed on the website roster anymore.

Giantsfan
09-08-2013, 08:14 PM
He's injured.

dondo
09-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Rathjen is injured, he was the back-up goalie of record on the sheet they handed out - Lee has played without a back-up on the bench for two games now.

I saw Osipov in his first game yesterday. Young 17 yr old kid who is a big, decently mobile defenseman and has a good snap-shot. Let's hope he is allowed to develop. Eder has some good puck hunger and skill. Alec Baer is a bonafide playmaker. McAvoy is looking a lot beefier this year. Foster appears to have beefed up a bit as well. Popoff was wearing #42 and had a solid outing. I liked Luca Leone during training cap, but was a bit disappointed I didn't see the same spark in yesterdays game. I still think he has the hunger and some chops to turn heads though.

dondo
09-09-2013, 02:19 PM

rumour has it that Marek isn't really interested in coming back - I believe we can hold onto his rights past the cutoff and deal him if he is sent back to Junior. Regardless, on a rebuilding team we should be keeping the two 17 yr old euros over a two-spotter like Tvrdon in my estimation.

I personally believe he'll either go up a level or be traded if he is sent back to Junior. We might get a decent prospect and maybe a pick for him as he does have upside and now that he's healthy his worth goes up.

MeszarosFan
09-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Rathjen is injured, he was the back-up goalie of record on the sheet they handed out - Lee has played without a back-up on the bench for two games now.

If it's just an injury though why is Lee the only goalie listed on the Giants site player roster? Unless it's a long-term injury?

Giantsfan
09-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Tvrdon won't be back, & he would've been traded last season if he didn't get injured. There have been rumblings that Detroit wants him to return to the WHL because he's missed almost two full seasons but he does have the skill to make the Griffins. Either way, he won't be a Giant for too much longer. Bonner even said as much yesterday when Wilms asked him.

This is by far the toughest team & the biggest team the Giants have had since the Mem Cup team of 2007. The blueline is pretty much set, but the goaltending to me, is the biggest question, are they going to pick up another 19 yr old or go with Lee & Rathjen. I think the latter for now, & they will assess how it's going but I think Bonner will be quick to make a move if it's not working.

Dondo: Yesterday was Osipov's first game. He has been injured all camp. I like his size, his aggressiveness & he's supposed to be pretty good.

Eder has been awesome all camp. Always involved at both ends of the ice & he has skill & size. He'll be a really good player in a couple of years.

I like the play of Ronning & Bear. Stukel is expected back about December. Those are the 16 yr olds they are going with this season.

I sure hope Traber & Thrower both return. They are huge pieces of the puzzle & bring a lot of grit & toughness something the Giants have lacked since 2007.

johnnyradiant
09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Tvrdon won't be back, & he would've been traded last season if he didn't get injured.

I pray that you are accurate about won't be back. For a plan B I hope he is only back for a couple games to be traded away. Plan C another injury.

He may have led scoring for too long even after his last season departure but he was too much of an asset for the other team when he 'played' his defensive game. As far as I'm concerned one less of his goals or assists is one less goal for the other team as well, making it a wash on the scoring front. On the playing front it works out to a huge plus for him not being around due to the stress relief of not watching him play his defensive game. So in my unprofessional but ticket buying opinion a player able to play 2-ways but only score 1/4 of the points he can puts the team ahead of where they would be with Tvrdon.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the scouting report dondo. I've read a lot of good things about Baer, excited to see him in the lineup this year and good news that Osipov is back. Eder is sounding promising also.

This team as of now is shaping up to be a lot better than last year's squad, whether it's good enough to make a playoff appearance though I'm on the fence about.

Ronning looks like he's getting on the scoresheet almost every night which is a good sign.

Also just heard that the Canucks returned Cain Franson to the Giants after their prospects camp, he'll be a welcome addition as usual.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Out of curiosity, I noticed that Jesse Roach isn't listed on the pre-season roster anymore. Is he hurt as well or has he been cut?

Giantsfan
09-10-2013, 06:23 PM
I think he was cut. I didn't see him with the other healthy scratches so I'm guessing he's done. I wish the Giants would give some more updates on the cuts.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-14-2013, 10:34 AM
It would definitely be nice if the cuts were updated on the website. You basically have to keep checking the roster page to see if it's been updated. I just did that this morning and Jared Rathjen is listed again so it looks like he's back healthy now.

Two games this weekend, I'm assuming we'll get the final roster announced sometime early in the week. I'm curious to see if we decide to keep Benson for the home opener or bring him back for his 5 games later in the year.

Lucic
09-14-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm curious to see if we decide to keep Benson for the home opener or bring him back for his 5 games later in the year.

Benson has already been returned to his midget team in Kelowna.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Benson has already been returned to his midget team in Kelowna.

Yeah my bad, I glanced over the forwards and didn't notice that his name was already removed.

The forwards seem fairly set but there's still quite a logjam on the blueline.

Giantsfan
09-14-2013, 07:08 PM
The blueline is set

Geertsen, Kulak, Thrower, Morrison, Atwal & Osipov.

Orban has been really good but he appears to be the odd man out.

Lucic
09-14-2013, 07:54 PM
The forwards seem fairly set but there's still quite a logjam on the blueline.

They have to keep around a few extra bodies until Kulak, Geertsen and Thrower come back from NHL camp. Once that happens I'm sure the picture will become a little more clear.

Lucic
09-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Tim Traber will be reporting to the Giants after all. He will be joining the team on Tuesday.

Priceisright
09-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Is this good? I dont know of him.

Thanks

PS giants have always been lousy PR on their team. Seems everything is a secret. Been going on for years.

Lucic
09-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Is this good? I dont know of him.

You've seen plenty of him as he's been with Victoria/Chilliwack his entire career. :p

I think it's good, then again I'm biased as I feel you can never have too much grit and toughness. It's especially good news considering Cooke will be out a long time with a leg injury.

Priceisright
09-15-2013, 04:46 PM
He can't be that much of a difference maker then lol if I don't even recognize his name. But I am all for more toughness. Especially at the Jr level. We can't walked over like last year.

Lucic
09-15-2013, 05:00 PM
Difference maker in terms of points or production, no. He definitely isn't going to bring that to the table. But he will bring size, grit, toughness and work ethic. I'll happily take those attributes.

Hockeyak
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
You've seen plenty of him as he's been with Victoria/Chilliwack his entire career. :p

I think it's good, then again I'm biased as I feel you can never have too much grit and toughness. It's especially good news considering Cooke will be out a long time with a leg injury.

Not aware of Cooke's leg injury - can anyone update me???

Thanks!

Giantsfan
09-16-2013, 04:16 PM
He broke his leg is out anywhere from 8-10 weeks. The guy can never stay healthy.

Giantsfan
09-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Traber is excited to join the Giants. He'll be looked upon for his leadership, on & off the ice. About time the Giants become Giants & not smurfs.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Great news on the Traber front. That guy can legit drop the mitts. Happy to have him. I really like the look of the team this season with the rookies stepping in and the new Euros on board. If we get Thrower back we'll be significantly better than last season.

Lucic
09-17-2013, 06:23 PM
If we get Thrower back we'll be significantly better than last season.

Thrower is now in Hamilton attending their training camp. So he may not be back for the start of the season. I still believe he will be returned though. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Giantsfan
09-18-2013, 07:32 AM
The Giants will need a lot more than just Thrower to be significantly improved from a year ago.

The goaltending has to be more consistent & has to steal games because I believe, that scoring goals will be the biggest challenge this team faces.

I would be surprised if by seasons end, this team has the same two goalies. Payton Lee isn't going anywhere, as he is the goalie of the future but if a 19 year old becomes available & Bonner believes he is a significant upgrade I don't think he'll hesitate to pull the trigger.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
scoring goals will be the biggest challenge this team faces.

I think our offence will be improved with the additions of Ronning, Baer and Hamilton plus Houck and Franson will still get theirs too.