PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Be A Long Season

radrguy
09-06-2013, 06:37 AM
If the way we were outworked most of the game by a very young Pat's squad last night was any indication, we are in for a very long season. I hope I'm wrong, but honestly, I don't think we should even be in the same league.

patsdude114
09-06-2013, 06:44 AM
Have a couple questions, 1st one our paper & the whl game sheet says that on MacAuley played but could of sworen I heard our pbp guy on radio say that Beukeboom came into play after the Raiders 1st. I may of been hearing things, did the Pats switch goalies?

You had mentioned that the Pats very young team out worked a vetern ladden Raiders lineup so my question is, did any of the young Pats impress you while watching the game?

Also any info the few young Raiders that played that caught the eye of the casual fan?

puckdad
09-06-2013, 07:41 AM
MacAuley started & played until middle of the 2nd. Goalie change happened right after the 1st PA goal. MacAuley was by far the better goalie.

puckdad
09-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Your new Russian is stand out good.

Wapitikev
09-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Have a couple questions, 1st one our paper & the whl game sheet says that on MacAuley played but could of sworen I heard our pbp guy on radio say that Beukeboom came into play after the Raiders 1st. I may of been hearing things, did the Pats switch goalies?

You had mentioned that the Pats very young team out worked a vetern ladden Raiders lineup so my question is, did any of the young Pats impress you while watching the game?

Also any info the few young Raiders that played that caught the eye of the casual fan?On Defense, Ben Verrall and Tyler Dea are fighting for a possible 8th d-man spot this season...last night Dea was definitely the better of the two, despite Verrall getting on the score-sheet with a secondary assist. Dea worked hard and didn't get beat to the outside by Pats forwards going to the net.

Good to see Mac Stewart get the first goal...still making some bad plays due to positioning however.

Brendan Guhle made the winning goal happen by keeping the puck in at the line and floating a knuckle-ball on-net while 5 Pats players were already skating towards the Raiders zone.

Meyer, Zaharichuk, Stewart and Yaremchuk are all fighting for the last 2 fowards positions.

Zaharichuk didn't accomplish much despite having quality linemates. Stewart did much better when he had that opportunity. Yaremchuk seemed slow against other WHL calibre competition and Meyer caused the 3rd goal by giving up coverage on his man and letting him skate out of the corner into the slot to score.

McBride looked like a 16yo goalie, having trouble at times when i thought he should be fine (the goal that went in between his skate and the post was awful). But he also made some important stops in the late minutes to show some composure.

The Pats did play Beukeboom for the second half of the game...he looked shakier (and smaller) than McAuley.

Cheers,

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
09-06-2013, 08:07 AM
If the way we were outworked most of the game by a very young Pat's squad last night was any indication, we are in for a very long season. I hope I'm wrong, but honestly, I don't think we should even be in the same league.The pre-season means nothing.

-Wapitikev

patsdude114
09-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the replies guys :) love the info on the raiders younger players :)

Great to hear that another teams fans think the russian is a stand out :) he really impressed me in the 2 scrimmages I seen him play at camp. I think this guy is going to help our offense tremendously

Landon
09-06-2013, 08:10 AM
If the way we were outworked most of the game by a very young Pat's squad last night was any indication, we are in for a very long season. I hope I'm wrong, but honestly, I don't think we should even be in the same league.
I agree, it is going to be a long season for the raiders if lastnight was any indication. I will start with goaltending: Mcbride looked very shaky in his 1st game but I guess its expected. Defence was turning pucks over all night long I felt. Rosewald landed a dirty hit on Guhle and was called for charging and not one player made Rosewald answer the bell on what could have been an injury to Guhle. The raiders need to go get some toughness and a player that is going to stickup for his teammates. The forwards made some great plays and its nice to see some of these young players getting the opportunity to play with veterans. I guess time will tell what kinda team the raiders will have.

Wapitikev
09-06-2013, 08:30 AM
We were awful in the preseason last year and then went on a huge run when the season started.

The team has had a total of one practice under Clouston.

It might be a little early yet for "The sky is falling!"

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
09-06-2013, 08:42 AM
I agree, it is going to be a long season for the raiders if lastnight was any indication. I will start with goaltending: Mcbride looked very shaky in his 1st game but I guess its expected. Defence was turning pucks over all night long I felt. Rosewald landed a dirty hit on Guhle and was called for charging and not one player made Rosewald answer the bell on what could have been an injury to Guhle. The raiders need to go get some toughness and a player that is going to stickup for his teammates. The forwards made some great plays and its nice to see some of these young players getting the opportunity to play with veterans. I guess time will tell what kinda team the raiders will have.True the club was very "disciplined" on the Guhle hit but I liked the way that Guenther stood up to the Pats around the crease. The players also stood up for Yaremchuk after two guys sandwitched him, so the beginnings are there...don't forget that Braid isn't here. Meyer and Perreaux leaving for fighting means that they'll step up when necessary (of course Meyer may not make the team). Hart isn't shy either.

A lot of young guys got a chance with Leon and Dakota...seemed like they had a different winger every shift. Tough to find a rhythm when the don't know where the third guys going to be.

I agree that we need to wait before pressing the panic button. By September 28th (after seeing division opponents for the first 4 games of the season) we'll have a much better idea of what kind of team we'll have this year.

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Which Dakota Conroy will show up, the one who had a stellar first half with you last year, or the decidedly average one you had in the 2nd half and what he's done in his previous career?

puckdad
09-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I agree, it is going to be a long season for the raiders if lastnight was any indication. I will start with goaltending: Mcbride looked very shaky in his 1st game but I guess its expected. Defence was turning pucks over all night long I felt. Rosewald landed a dirty hit on Guhle and was called for charging and not one player made Rosewald answer the bell on what could have been an injury to Guhle. The raiders need to go get some toughness and a player that is going to stickup for his teammates. The forwards made some great plays and its nice to see some of these young players getting the opportunity to play with veterans. I guess time will tell what kinda team the raiders will have.

When the Guhle hit happened, we had already lost 2 players for fighting (by the way, both won their tilts) and started with only 11 forwards. I think some wanted to stand up for him but looked to the bench and didn't get the OK.

Dwight Schrute
09-06-2013, 06:38 PM
The pre-season means nothing.

-Wapitikev

That's not really a good way to look at it. It's the first step of the season. The first game against another team. First impressions for the fans

It might not mean as much but I certainly wouldn't say it would mean nothing
Heck I doubt even campese would agree with that remark

Wapitikev
09-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Which Dakota Conroy will show up, the one who had a stellar first half with you last year, or the decidedly average one you had in the 2nd half and what he's done in his previous career?He already has more shots on goal this season than he did after Christmas last year.

Heh.

Seriously though, coming to camp in better condition should, theoretically, help him to fatigue less quickly.

More importantly, Draisaitl, Hart & Danyluk (his likely centers this season) won't give up as soon as they lose the handle on the puck, unlike Bardero last season.

If they don't quit, then Conroy can't justify quitting either (unless he want's coach Clouston to sit him).

Both should serve to maintain his motivation at a higher level this season.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
09-06-2013, 07:38 PM
That's not really a good way to look at it. It's the first step of the season. The first game against another team. First impressions for the fans

It might not mean as much but I certainly wouldn't say it would mean nothing
Heck I doubt even campese would agree with that remarkI guess I should clarify...

A team's performance during the pre-season is a terrible predictor of how any team will fare when the Regular season starts.

-Wapitikev