PDA

View Full Version : 2013/14 Regular Season

Wapitikev
09-16-2013, 09:45 PM
So, the roster is trimmed by three...Passlot(17) returns to high-school hockey in Minnesota, Meyer (17) and the veteran Guenther(19) were all re-assigned today.

Guenther's departure is a bit of a surprise considering that there are younger, less experienced d-men still on the roster.

So we are down to 25 players (including Morrssey and Parenteau):

Forwards-
Chance Braid (19)
Dakota Conroy (19)
Shane Danyluk (19)
Jayden Hart (19)
Carson Perreaux (19)
Mike Winther (19)
Leon Draisaitl (18)
Gage Quinney (18)
Reid Gardiner (17)
Tim Vanstone (17)
Lance Yaremchuk (17)
Darcy Zaharichuk (17)
Matteo Gennaro (16)
Dylan Stewart (16)

D-Men-
Dylan Busenius (20)
Evan Morden (20)
Sawyer Lange (19)
Tomas Andrlik (18)
Tyler Dea (18)
Josh Morrissey (18)
Mackenze Stewart (18)
Brendan Guhle (16)

Goalies-
Cole Cheveldave (20)
Rylan Parenteau (17) (until Chevy is cleared to play)*
Nick McBride (16)

Forwards: We carried 14 last season but one of Yaremchuk or Stewart are likely on the bubble if a quality 20yo falls from the sky...probably Stewart (we have 4 16yos still on the roster).

Defense: We carried only 7 d-men last year but if two players are needed to soak up all of Ruopp's minutes from last season, then 8 is not out of the question this year. However, the arrival of a 20yo forward makes one of our 20yo d-men the odd-man out...unless Ruopp comes back...and then they would both be gone.

Heh.

...but seriously, a 20yo forward would mean 7 d-men...unless Verrall is called back up to keep 8.

Goalies: Parenteau will be reassigned as soon as Chevy's cleared to play, so there's no suspense here.

It will be interesting to see if any other changes happen before Friday's game.

See you at the rink,

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
09-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm sticking to my prediction from May 2nd:

At the end of the 2013/14 season the Raiders "...will have at least 80 points, again."

...that total should give them a good chance at a Division Banner and 2nd seed in the 1st round of the playoffs.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
09-17-2013, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Wapitikev; the arrival of a 20yo forward makes one of our 20yo d-men the odd-man out...unless Ruopp comes back...and then they would both be gone.

Heh.

...but seriously, a 20yo forward would mean 7 d-men...unless Verrall is called back up to keep 8.[/QUOTE]

After reviewing the rosters of the other WHL teams, I don't think we'll be getting a 20-yr-old forward. The overall weakness of the 2008 Bantam Draft ('93 Age Group) is playing out this year with a whole crop of sub-par overagers. There are simply not a lot of 20's available. Most teams are down to the maximum 3 or fewer already.

Wapitikev
09-17-2013, 11:26 AM
[John Cleese voice]...So. I'm officially happy with the ones we have and will get used to them being here. Right.

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
09-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Could audition Tyson Dallman, which could spark something in him in his return home. You just never know.

chalk_one_up
09-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Just acquired Craig Leverton from Lethbridge for Spencer Meyer.

Wapitikev
09-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Will be interesting to see if the 18yo Debden boy cracks the lineup.

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
09-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Will be interesting to see if the 18yo Debden boy cracks the lineup.

-Wapitikev

I don't see why not. Does this spell the end for someone?

Wapitikev
09-17-2013, 11:43 AM
Could audition Tyson Dallman, which could spark something in him in his return home. You just never know.He'd have to play like he was on fire...his past stats don't give him much hope of cracking the lineup. Normally you don't play a 20yo on the 4th line.

Couldn't hurt to look at him, though.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
09-17-2013, 11:48 AM
I don't see why not. Does this spell the end for someone?Based on performance, so far in camp and the pre-season, Yaremchuk or Stewart could be re-assigned. There are other possibilities though...and of course a trade could open some space, too.

If a player is sent down, they'll likely remain on the list, so the "end" would only be for this season.

Some time will likely be taken to make that decision, so we'll (hopefully) see some games from them all over the next week.

-Wapitikev

Sttop
09-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Nice pickup . leverton will be a nice 3rd or 2nd liner that works hard...hopefully its contagious

puckdad
09-17-2013, 03:31 PM
I liked this kid when he played for the Saskatoon Contacts as a 15-year-old. He should be happy playing a little closer to home. Without seeing him play this year, it should be a good trade. We got a little older, but a picked up a player with 2 years WHL experience. Lethbridge seems to be stock-piling a good pool of young talent.

jkanes
09-17-2013, 09:20 PM
What can Raiders fans tell us about Spencer Meyer? Can't seem to find much about him on the internet...

Wapitikev
09-17-2013, 09:29 PM
I liked this kid when he played for the Saskatoon Contacts as a 15-year-old. He should be happy playing a little closer to home. Without seeing him play this year, it should be a good trade. We got a little older, but a picked up a player with 2 years WHL experience. Lethbridge seems to be stock-piling a good pool of young talent.Lethbridge needs all the help they can get.

Leverton seems like a decent player on an average squad...could definitely blossom with better linemates this year...Reid Gardiner seems to think he can play.

Does he play bigger than his 5'10?

Plus, I could be wrong, but wouldn't a bus with half of Debden in it pull up whenever Lethbridge played us? I'm sure it wasn't a factor in the trade but it likely means more than a few new season tickets from up that way.

Which just adds more motivation to play hard.

I liked Spencer (I sat in front of his dad during a few of the camp scrimages) but this has a ton of potential to be a good trade for the team.

And probably for Spencer too...hope he sticks with the Canes this season.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
09-17-2013, 09:56 PM
What can Raiders fans tell us about Spencer Meyer? Can't seem to find much about him on the internet...Spencer has decent hands, good speed, works hard and isn't afraid to check and play in the corners. He also has an extremely interesting presentation prior to throwing punches in a fight...you'll see what I mean.

He improved a fair bit in the PIJHL last season and showed well at Raiders camp this year. He's going to be a good player as he continues to develop.

But the Raiders are pretty deep at Spencer's age, with 4 17yo forwards still on our roster heading into the regular season (two whl veterans from last season, a local favourite and a taller/bigger version of Spencer). Not to forget Passlot(17), who could make the team next fall, after finishing high school in Minnesota this year.

Spencer was the odd-17yo out when camp ended. His stats are here (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120656):

We have only 2 18yo forwards on our current roster though, and one may be in the NHL next fall, so adding Leverton (also a local fan favourite) makes sense from an age-bracket standpoint.

What did you think of Leverton's play in Lethbridge?

The new logo is a big improvement, by the way...never liked the "Hurrjcanes" graphic.

-Wapitikev

here for the long run
09-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Spencer has decent hands, good speed, works hard and isn't afraid to check and play in the corners. He also has an extremely interesting presentation prior to throwing punches in a fight...you'll see what I mean.

He improved a fair bit in the PIJHL last season and showed well at Raiders camp this year. He's going to be a good player as he continues to develop.

But the Raiders are pretty deep at Spencer's age, with 4 17yo forwards still on our roster heading into the regular season (two whl veterans from last season, a local favourite and a taller/bigger version of Spencer). Not to forget Passlot(17), who could make the team next fall, after finishing high school in Minnesota this year.

Spencer was the odd-17yo out when camp ended. His stats are here (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=120656):

We have only 2 18yo forwards on our current roster though, and one may be in the NHL next fall, so adding Leverton (also a local fan favourite) makes sense from an age-bracket standpoint.

What did you think of Leverton's play in Lethbridge?

The new logo is a big improvement, by the way...never liked the "Hurrjcanes" graphic.

-Wapitikev

Craig never got the chance to succeed on our team. I think he has all the tools and desire but lacks the speed to be an elite talent.

RandyJackson
09-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Is anyone else extremely nervous about our defense this year? We currently have 3 out of 8 defensemen that provide me with some sort of comfort when they're out on the ice- Morrissey, Morden, and Lange. Other than that things are shaky to say the least. Busenius looked good in preseason, but he's been known to be a defensive liability (as per last season). Andrlik has been all right, but he hasn't been anything spectacular by any means. Certainly not the big, shutdown d-man we desperately need in the absence of Ruopp. Guhle will develop into a solid blueliner, but will be prone to many errors this season while adjusting to the pace of the WHL. And Stewart and Dea are huge question marks every time they're on the ice. Christ, Stewart can barely skate. Other than the abundance of 19 year olds on the team right now, I'm really scratching my head wondering how Guenther got the axe. Not to mention that we have SEVEN! out of 8 lefties, with Lange being the only right-handed shot.

I'm trying not to be too cynical, seeing as Clouston's style is to have a complete defensive effort by all players on the ice, but I would be a lot more comfortable with at least one more solid shut down guy.

BillyBean
09-20-2013, 12:39 AM
I am not sure that a quality shut down D man is available in the league right now for a reasonable price. If one was available it would be at an unreasonable price. Since the Raiders are seen to be the front-runners in the East division, no other GM from another team will do the Raiders any favors in terms of what this shut down D man will cost. As well, what assets would the Raiders nation be happy to give up to obtain this D man. The only valuable assets that the Raiders have is within their forward depth.

A more confusing element of the current roster is that the Raiders have 4 18-year-old D man on their roster. Andrlik will develop into a very good D man while Stewart and Dea I believe are significantly behind Morrissey and Andrlik in their future potential. Every team in the CHL has at least 2-3 16 and 17-year-olds on their D roster. The Raiders have one 16 yo and have no 17-year-old D men on their roster. This leaves a huge hole in the development of future D men. This roster decision is somewhat confusing as the Raiders appear to have done a good job with developing depth and taking young forward players on this year's roster.

I still believe that the key to Raiders success this year is engaging and activating Leon Draisaitl to have a very successful season. Winther, Hart, Braid, and Conroy are good starts. However, I believe Leon needs one more dynamic experienced 19 or 20 yo forward that can potentially put the puck in the net as well as create space for him utilizing speed.

I would take Morden, Dea, Stewart, and potentially one of the younger forwards such as Zaharichuk or Dylan Stewart and offer them up in a trade to acquire such a F and perhaps an 18 yo utility D man that is more skilled than Dea or Stewart. The Raiders could then bring up a 17-year-old D man such as Verral and potentially another 16 yo like Coghill for development. This would also allow the Raiders to play their top five remaining D men (Morrissey, Busenius, Lange, Andrlik, and Guhle) with significantly more minutes.

I believe the Raiders roster will be modified by 3 to 4 players after the first 5 to 10 games of the regular season.

puckdad
09-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Starting Lineup;
Conroy-Draisaitel-Braid
Winther-Hart-Gardiner
Perreaux-Danyluk-Leverton
Quinney-Gennaro-Vanstone

Busenius-Lange
Morden-Andrlik
Stewart-Guhle

Chevy
McBride

puckdad
09-20-2013, 06:43 PM
New Unis look good

WestLEAFfan
09-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Nice pickup . leverton will be a nice 3rd or 2nd liner that works hard...hopefully its contagious

Leverton will be a relentless worker and fore checker. He'll be a crowd favorite.

Wapitikev
09-21-2013, 04:00 PM
78 points to go...

The White with Green and Gold uniforms looked good on the web...

Looking forward to seeing the Green uniforms tonight.

-Wapitikev

Sttop
09-21-2013, 10:05 PM
A interesting 2nd game . I thought Zalaski did his best to cripple the Raiders with the call on Busenius that saw him tossed from the game in the 1st period.Which left them with Morden and Lange as the defensemen with WHL experience. 1 observation is that imo if the Raiders were serious about winning this year they probably should have kept Guenther over both Dea and Stewart. I am a Stewart fan , but he isn't ready to play everyday and in all situations(which I realize he was forced into tonight) . On a side note I thought Guhle played a very strong game ...good on him. And good on the team for 4 big points to start the year. The real measuring stick comes next weekend vs km and the Wheaties tho

Wildeyes
09-21-2013, 10:17 PM
I think the Raiders need to get the drive to finish off the teams last night they let up on the blades and tonight they let the blades almost tie the game. When they see an open net (gardiner) shoot the puck in it lol. They might bring back gunther it could help them out lots.

Wapitikev
09-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeesh.

Some ugly play tonight...I thought Busenius' leaving the game was good for us defensively until I saw the result. Yikes.

I certainly hope that Morrissey comes back this year to soak up some minutes from the remaining d-corps.

Good for Gage Quinney...72 goals from the 4th line this year? Probably not but he's definitely showing his skill. 2nd game in a row he walks out of the corner and puts one in.

Agree Guhle was strong tonight. He's going to be scary good if he develops as expected.

Good to see Hart take one for his teammates...but with the game almost put away, perhaps more discipline should have been in order.

Cheveldave made some great stops tonight but oy-vey the rebounds!

When you tell them you golfed par, they don't ask you how you you did it.

76 points to go.

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
09-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Wanted to see the green ice. That didn't materialize.

Wapitikev
09-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Wanted to see the green ice. That didn't materialize.Probably a league rule.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
09-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Tacked on to the end of the press release regarding central scouting rankings yesterday was an announcement about Stewart:

The Raiders announced today that they have re-assigned 16-year-old forward Dylan Stewart to the Canadian Athletic Club Canadians Midget AAA in his hometown of Edmonton, Alberta.

Not really a surprise. Stewart will get far more time to develop his skills playing midget than he will sitting in the stands watching the Raiders. He has a better than average chance of cracking the lineup next fall.

That brings the forwards back down to 14.

Looking forward to Zaharichuk and Yaremchuk seeing some minutes...but with 12 goals in the first two games from the current crew who will sit?

Leverton will likely sit at some point but do you move a rookie into his spot on Danyluk's line or move someone from the Quinney line up...thereby messing up a hot-scoring line?

Who's the other unlucky contestant to sit...Perreaux is pointless so far and Braid is 1 assist and -2 on the first line.

But having Braid's physical presence on that line, some would argue, frees Conroy and Draisaitl to be as creative as they are.

Looks like either Danyluk or Vanstone could get 2 new wingers this weekend.

On the D-side, Morrissey sat the last 2 games for Winnipeg...possibility he could be back this weekend.

Still waiting for Tyler Dea to see a game or two, as well.

Should be an interesting double-header against the Wheat Kings.

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
09-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Morrissey reassigned by Winnipeg to PA.

BillyBean
09-24-2013, 12:26 PM
Great news for the Raiders!

Now......Which 2 of the remaining 1-16 yo, 3-18 yo, 1-19 yo, and 2-20 yo are going to get to sit every night? It won't be Guhle or Andrlik based on their play and Andrlik CSS listing. I don't think Clouston will dress 7 D men. So ... I hope Dea and Stewart like the view from the stands. If it's not them sitting and its one of the older D men, then I think a trade will be requested.

RandyJackson
09-24-2013, 06:48 PM
So ... I hope Dea and Stewart like the view from the stands. If it's not them sitting and its one of the older D men, then I think a trade will be requested.

I'm praying to God that the Raider staff comes to their senses and re-assigns Stewart. He gets beaten like a rented mule every time there's an opposing rush and the puck remains hemmed in our defensive end until someone frantically chips it out or Chevy covers the puck. He hasn't shown even a morsel of aggression or tenacity to make his size worth the defensive liability. It's time for the Raiders to give up on trying to groom this kid and bring in someone who can actually play the game.

Sttop
09-24-2013, 07:02 PM
he has been put in a spot hes not ready for yet because Morrissey was gone. Stewart is a 7th defencemen . He will improve and he will stand up for team mates. as for you not seeing him be aggressive he couldn't find a dance partner against the Blades ...he asked both Craig and Nickel. not saying hes ready to play right now. but doesn't hurt as a spare.

puckdad
09-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Gotta agree with Randy on this one. His only asset is size. He's out of his league. Maybe out of his sport. Even someone who has never seen the game can tell doesn't belong. Time to find some talent & develop it, not close your eyes, cross your fingers & hope he will magically somehow turn into a hockey player.

Sttop
09-24-2013, 08:10 PM
they have the 6 guys they want to play every night back there. how do u develop a kid in the stands ? Morrissey, Morden, Busenius, Lange, Andrlik and Guhle are all that matters . Any guys behind that should be playing much. if they wanted to rotate a 7th in there I am sure they would have kept Guenther.

BillyBean
09-24-2013, 08:13 PM
No average player wants to fight Stewart because he is an unknown. Since he can't play defense - what is his value? It's a classic case of mystique and illusion for a perceived tough guy. Sure, he fought Valcourt from the Blades - woop de do! Valcourt is not even remotely close to an enforcer. He will get some latitude from average players with respect to fighting because of his size but when PA finally plays teams that have a bona fide tough guy such as Doty in Med Hat or Goulbourne in Kelowna or Astles in Tri City - the Stewart era will come to an end. Think of these players I have listed - does Stewart even remotely play or intimidate like them???? There wasn't much tougher than Ruopp and T Goulbourne of Kelowna made short work of him if I remember correctly. Stewart doesn't even intimidate guys in front of the net because he is to busy spinning like a top to follow the play/puck. I haven't seen him lay a bone crushing hip check (because he gets beat wide most of the time) and I don't believe he has even got any penalty minutes for boarding or checking from behind (intimidation penalties). If they really want to use this kid effectively they should play him as a forward on the PP in front of the net as a screen. This would be a low risk to the team.

As far as development goes, a koala bear would develop if given the opportunity to play in this league. That doesn't mean it's the right thing! Stewart will develop a bit in this league but he is what we in the hockey business call a plateau player - what you see is as good as it's going to get. I don't see him playing in this league anywhere as a 20 yo - so what is the point of keeping him. Lange is 19 yo and is a decent player that the Raiders have developed from the age of 17 yo. Does anyone think that in the course of this year (playing 30-35 games or so) that Stewart will be Lange in one years time? If so, I want to drink what you are drinking. :)

Tyler Dea is not far behind Stewart and based on (2 healthy scratches) does not appear to have the favour of the Raiders coaching staff to this point. With the return of Morrissey I don't see this changing. So why keep him? Bring in a 16 or 17 yo to develop.

So I will ask the question that I have asked before.... If Morrissey and Andrlik do not return next year does anyone feel very comfortable have Stewart and Dea as 19 yo's supporting Lange (20 yo) and Guhle (17 yo) on the blue line. That leaves lots of spots for rookies next year such as Verral (18 yo), Coghill (17 yo) and Paivarinta (16 yo) that have no WHL experience because the Raiders didn't develop them this year. The Raiders should have been developing at least one 17 yo and perhaps another 16 yo spot this year instead of Dea and Stewart. Playing these younger players would have justified ice time management - sitting younger players and playing your older studs more.

The hockey decision to have 4 18 yo D men on the roster this year is sheer lunacy (Dea and Stewart). It will come back to haunt the Raiders next year and potentially for a few years. If you don't believe me look at the roster for the remaining 21 WHL teams and see how many 16 and 17 yo D men are on their active rosters currently.

I want the Raiders to win this year just like everyone else. You don't win by trying to figure out how to play Dea and Stewart as 18 yo. You win by playing. Busenius, Morden, Lange, Morrissey, Andrlik every night while getting Guhle his 40 games and developing another 16 yo such as Coghill and 17 yo such as Verral who would understand why they are sitting in the stands this year but would be WHL experienced for next year.

I really hope a trade or releases are coming on the blue line because if they aren't 2 18, 19 or 20 yo are going to have to sit most nights which will lead to unhappiness and potential chemistry disruption - think of the Riley Guenther experiment and where that ended up. That will be Dea and Stewart next year but the cost to the Raiders will have been failure to develop young talent. A mistake that will cost them down the road because you can't replace young talent at the 16 and 17 yo level through trades it can only be developed through the draft and proper playing development.

Developing younger players this year will not change the outcome of the Raiders this year at all but will have detrimental effects for years to come.

Sttop
09-24-2013, 08:25 PM
I will have what your drinking when u say Valcourt isn't tough haha... he has beat some tough guys and even went toe to toe in a draw with Rissling who Ruopp couldn't match up with last year. He fought Doty twice last year , Ruopp , Mychan twice. I don't know what else he would have to do to be considered "tough " haha. Valcourt would be exactly what the Raiders need this year. Doty would be nice as well. All I know is the Raiders need to find toughness if Big Mac isn't around or else Morrissey will be run through the boards every night.

Raiderfan8
09-24-2013, 08:27 PM
How is Reid Gardiner not ranked by Central Scouting?

puckdad
09-24-2013, 08:34 PM
What he said.

BillyBean
09-24-2013, 08:42 PM
I didn't say Valcourt wasn't tough - I said he wasn't an enforcer.... There is a huge difference between the 2. Big Mac lacks the "crazy factor" that the enforcers I have listed have. The enforcer puts the fear of god in the opponents players every night. Doty, Goulbourne and Astles can put the puck in the net on an average basis and intimidate while on the ice. Big Mac .... is not an enforcer, will never have a career as an enforcer and potentially will end up hurt. Manson has stated publicly and makes no bones about it that he does not want to teach guys to be an enforcer.

So, the above being said, I don't disagree that it would be nice to have a tough guy to protect Morrissey and that may come through trade. I'm just questioning the cost and hockey effectiveness of that decision. I'm sure you would rather see the Raiders have longer term success on the blue line than see Big Mac get beat up or have a draw in a fight. Plus if he's a tough guy why did it take him 9 games in 2 years to get into his first fight in exhibition or regular season with the Raiders?

I'm just saying both Stewart and Dea could go leaving room to develop 1 younger D man and still have room for a real enforcer.

Sttop
09-24-2013, 08:47 PM
the only thing I disagree with is this.. how does a kid with "potential" get better sitting in the stands ? and lets not forget when u say that Big Mac doesn't have potential that he began playing hockey at 12 years old ... I would say that's a pretty drastic learning curve.

BillyBean
09-24-2013, 09:21 PM
His progress to this point has been very good given his late start.

However, what Big Mac lacks is the experience of playing a lot of elite level hockey through those years because of his late start. What makes a good/great player through those early years comes from being challenged by other elite/great players, good coaching, effective practice and lots of games. Unfortunately, for Big Mac he didn't play a lot of AAA/elite hockey at the Bantam or Midget level. This shows on a nightly basis in his lack of puck skill, hockey IQ, ice vision and decision making. His foot speed has improved minimally since last year but he remains essentially the same player that was eventually sent back to the AJHL. Unfortunately, his ability to continue to grow and develop as a player becomes even more difficult as you advance through higher levels of hockey. What I am saying is that his year to year progress would have been more drastic/better early on and will be less and less/worse at the higher levels (i.e. where he is at now). That is why I have called him a "plateau player" - and many scouts agree.

When I say younger players will develop "sitting on the bench" I am referring to the fact that the younger players on the Raiders list have played significant elite level Bantam or Midget hockey. Because their learning capacity or potential to grow on a year to year basis is greater than Big Macs (because they have had greater higher level hockey experience than Big Mac) they will (with limited ice time and large volume of practice) actually end up ahead of Big Mac after a years time because of their greater development capacity. Then, throw in the fact that the players are a year or two younger than Big Mac......

I think you get where I am going with this - the value in the long run to the Raiders is significant in developing younger players. Watch Medicine Hats D this year - last year they were pretty much an all rookie core - this year watch out.

I don't know if Big Mac is a good student. But, I do feel sorry for him that he signed a standard WHL players agreement last year when it is obvious that he needed several years more time to develop. I believe the system let him down. Because of his late start and lack of experience he needs twice the time of an average player to get to the same end point. A college career may have allowed him this time.

Truthfully, at this time, BCJHL or AJHL is the correct level for him as a player to develop. I don't know many parents that want their son to make a team or a living being a fighter. It's a tough physical and mental pile of crap (Boogard).

Wapitikev
09-24-2013, 11:24 PM
His progress to this point has been very good given his late start.

However, what Big Mac lacks is the experience of playing a lot of elite level hockey through those years because of his late start. What makes a good/great player through those early years comes from being challenged by other elite/great players, good coaching, effective practice and lots of games. Unfortunately, for Big Mac he didn't play a lot of AAA/elite hockey at the Bantam or Midget level. This shows on a nightly basis in his lack of puck skill, hockey IQ, ice vision and decision making. His foot speed has improved minimally since last year but he remains essentially the same player that was eventually sent back to the AJHL. Unfortunately, his ability to continue to grow and develop as a player becomes even more difficult as you advance through higher levels of hockey. What I am saying is that his year to year progress would have been more drastic/better early on and will be less and less/worse at the higher levels (i.e. where he is at now). That is why I have called him a "plateau player" - and many scouts agree.The scouts in NHL central scouting just collectively agreed that Reid Gardiner wasn't worth listing in their rankings that came out yesterday...scouts miss stuff and can be just plain wrong.

Just because Stewart hasn't played for years against elite players does not mean he cannot develop/adjust to this level of play...he's not going to learn to play against WHL caliber forwards in the AJHL. If the coaches don't think he could learn to play at this level, I have every confidence that they'll send him elsewhere.

And every player's learning curve flattens as it gets to the top...the WHL being the top in the case of this age-group...everyone is progressing slower at this level...the question is, can Stewart continue to progress faster than, for example, Dea. He has so far in his career.

When I say younger players will develop "sitting on the bench" I am referring to the fact that the younger players on the Raiders list have played significant elite level Bantam or Midget hockey. Because their learning capacity or potential to grow on a year to year basis is greater than Big Macs (because they have had greater higher level hockey experience than Big Mac) they will (with limited ice time and large volume of practice) actually end up ahead of Big Mac after a years time because of their greater development capacity. Then, throw in the fact that the players are a year or two younger than Big Mac......So Dea, who has played more bantam and midget level hockey than Stewart, by default has a higher capacity or potential to grow this year if he stays with the Raiders than Stewart does?

Potential and ability varies widely between individuals...as does motivation.

If Dea has taken this long to develop into a 7th defenseman, having played far more bantam and midget hockey than Stewart, then who is capable of learning faster?

I think you get where I am going with this - the value in the long run to the Raiders is significant in developing younger players. Watch Medicine Hats D this year - last year they were pretty much an all rookie core - this year watch out.So even though he's learned to play at his current level twice as fast as any of his team-mates, we should put him aside in favour of a 7th defenseman that is a year younger but has demonstrated through years of playing that they can learn only 1/2 as fast as Stewart can?

I agree that Med Hat's rookies benefited from a year of WHL experience...guess what? So will Stewart (or whoever they keep for the coming season).

I don't know if Big Mac is a good student. But, I do feel sorry for him that he signed a standard WHL players agreement last year when it is obvious that he needed several years more time to develop. I believe the system let him down. Because of his late start and lack of experience he needs twice the time of an average player to get to the same end point. A college career may have allowed him this time.If he was an average player, starting when he did, he wouldn't even be here now. He did it in (less than) half the time...why should he need twice as much time to adjust to this level as an average player would?

Truthfully, at this time, BCJHL or AJHL is the correct level for him as a player to develop.Not convinced that is the case.

I don't know many parents that want their son to make a team or a living being a fighter. It's a tough physical and mental pile of crap (Boogard).I agree, but do you really think that Dave will keep him here if that's all he's going to be used for? You just said a few posts ago that Dave is on the record as being against that.

The only way anyone is going to know how the kid can do at this level is if he stays at this level for more than a cup of coffee. He's 18...this is the time to see what he can become, at this level, before we move on to another player.

By Christmas, they should know, even if he only gets into 20 games.

If he's not working out, then give Verrall or Dea or Kipling (whoever is playing better in their respective JHLs) their chance in the second half.

...but if he does progress quickly...he could be the best 20yo d-man the club has developed in years.

Give him a chance...that's all he's needed at every other level, so far.

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
09-24-2013, 11:33 PM
If the plan is to sit Yaremchuk on most nights, his time will be best spent back with the Mintos. Don't waste the local talent. I was just disappointed that the local kid couldn't be inserted into the line-up on home ice in the home opener in front of family and friends. He might as well play in the Western Regionals.

HockeyGuru
09-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Yaremchuk I believe will get a chance, won't return to Mintos.He hates the coach(Morrison) and especially the ass't coach(Becker)..will go to Flin Flon in SJHL if it doesn't work out .Needs to play against older stronger guys...patience will be needed with Yaremchuk like Tim Leonard had with him when he was with Mintos as a 15 year old and played 4th line.

chalk_one_up
09-25-2013, 04:38 PM
Yaremchuk I believe will get a chance, won't return to Mintos.He hates the coach(Morrison) and especially the ass't coach(Becker)..will go to Flin Flon in SJHL if it doesn't work out .Needs to play against older stronger guys...patience will be needed with Yaremchuk like Tim Leonard had with him when he was with Mintos as a 15 year old and played 4th line.

Well, we don't exactly know if any of that is true, but hopefully the Raiders give him a shot.

Landon
09-26-2013, 09:41 AM
My concern so far has been defence. I dont think the Raiders can go with these 8guys. Morrissey being the number 1 guy, who can be his partner out of the other 7 defence? Busenius seems to have improved but still makes rookie mistakes with the puck. Morden is to slow and gets beat wide 9 outa 10 times. Morden for 20 year old brings limited skill and aggresion to the table. The remaining 8 d-men are all left handers except Lange. On a side note: I said it last year and I will say it again, Mackenzie Stewart does not belong in the WHL. The first 2 games showed that this league is to fast for him.

D-Men-
Dylan Busenius (20)
Evan Morden (20)
Sawyer Lange (19)
Tomas Andrlik (18)
Tyler Dea (18)
Josh Morrissey (18)
Mackenze Stewart (18)
Brendan Guhle (16)

Sttop
09-26-2013, 10:22 AM
:deadhorse:

mill rat
09-28-2013, 10:24 AM
8-6 final on Friday. This the first game I've been able to attend and I must say the new goalie looks fair to mediocre at best. Hopefully the goaltending is not a sign of things to come.

RandyJackson
09-28-2013, 12:32 PM
8-6 final on Friday. This the first game I've been able to attend and I must say the new goalie looks fair to mediocre at best. Hopefully the goaltending is not a sign to come.

Yeah, I have to admit that Chevy has let in some sharp angled softies in the past two games that have really led to major momentum shifts. Having said that though, it's been a collapse of the entire team that has created such frantic finishes in games that should end with the Raiders on top with at least a five goal differential.

Sttop
09-28-2013, 12:46 PM
I must admit Bruno must be doing a good job ....we have fans unhappy about being 3-0 and ranked in the chl....10 years ago guys would have been doing cartwheels

RandyJackson
09-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Who said anything about being unhappy? Doesn't matter if you're winning or losing, there are always areas to improve. And a 60 minute collaborative effort is certainly one of those areas.

puckdad
09-28-2013, 06:27 PM
OMG
3 is dressed for warmup
No Morden !!!!!?

puckdad
09-28-2013, 06:41 PM
No Morden?
He's not even with the healthy scratches in the stands. Why would you scratch one of your overagers? Injury?

Raiderfan8
09-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Morden has decided to leave the team from my understanding.

mill rat
09-28-2013, 09:43 PM
OMG
3 is dressed for warmup
No Morden !!!!!?

Yeah, it was scary with him out there. But most forgettable performance on D was Lange. I think that was the worst I've ever seen him play.

Big bounce back game from Cheveldave. He made some great saves tonight. Chalk up another 2 points.

Wapitikev
09-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Weird...Lange played a good game last night, looking pretty comfortable and ending up +3.

Tonight was a completely different game, though, for almost the whole team...much more defensively oriented and disciplined (sure there were a few lapses).

Chevy was clutch tonight.

Full credit to Busenius tonight, as well. He made a number of bad decisions for 10 or 15 minutes at the end of the 2nd and start of the 3rd...but then he turned it around, making better plays and eventually scoring the game winner on that snooker shot that banked off 2 Brandon players and into the net. Ended the game with 2 points and +1.

So, overall, that's 4 decent games from DB.

Way to go Carson Perreaux getting the 2nd empty netter in as many nights. Great play by Gardiner to make that happen. After having no points in the first two games, Carson is now the goal-scoring leader on the Raiders.

Did anyone see what happened with Stewart at the end of the game...I'm just looking at the game-stats and I see he was assessed a double minor for spearing at the end of the third.

Overall I'm happy with the team's start. Taking 8 points from Division rivals without giving up a single point to any of them is a great way to start the season.

72 points to go.

-Wapitikev

Sabes
09-29-2013, 07:25 AM
He speared Meilleur. Wasn't bad enough for a double minor but whatever . Big mack had a couple decent plays coupled with some sketchy ones. Wonder how he would do as a forward

Dwight Schrute
09-29-2013, 08:41 AM
Morden has decided to leave the team from my understanding.

Is this true ?

Raiderfan8
09-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Is this true ?

Yes. I confirmed this morning that Morden has returned home to Swan River.

Sttop
09-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Personally I hope they take a look at Oulette a look. If we could find a Walters type 19 year old dman that would be solid

sbtatter
09-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Any of the Brandon players stand out in a positive or negative way?

Sttop
09-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Nejezchleb was by far the most dangerous player for the Wheaties . I am also a fan of Walters. He went after Hart after a big hit on Meilleur.. The hit wasent as hard as Meilleur let on. This was the 2nd of 4 terrible dives by Meilleur imo. A good big player but the diving needs to go.

Wapitikev
09-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Any of the Brandon players stand out in a positive or negative way?While there were a number of big rebounds, I really liked the focus and skill of Papirny last night...his defensemen played well for him, too.

And congratulations to Pulock being signed by the Inslanders. They'll still send him back to Brandon this season, won't they?

-Wapitikev

BillyBean
09-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Nejechleb, Hawryluk, McGauley I felt were decent along with Walters and Hunter on D.

Cheveldave was a lot more technically sound last night than 1st night but is still giving up some juicy rebounds. I liked Papirny!

Raiders are finding ways to win - which is good news. Still some tinkering to do to fill the roster to make a bona fide successful season.

Winther, Hart and Braid need to take their games to a consistent higher level on a nightly basis. Otherwise, I believe as 19 yo's one or more of them may be on the trade block (Winther most likely candidate). With the departure of Morden as a 20 yo - an experienced 20 yo forward such as B Leier might be a perfect fit or another skilled 19 yo.

On the back end, a physical, experienced stay at home D man is a must. If they are looking to replace Morden as 20 yo D - Zach Yuen from Tri City or another similar player would be great. But will have to give up some assets.

If team insists on keeping Big Mac I believe a move to F would be of benefit for the kid. He was beat wide 2 times last night and continues to be a D liability at times. With absence of Morden the thought of him receiving increased ice time is scary. 4th line guy driving the net hard and creating space for other F's may be a role.

Funny story from officials who did Raiders v Blades game in Stoon. They said Big Mac kept asking guys to fight during the game. The Blades players would all chirp back that since he was such a liability on the ice - why would they want him in the penalty box. Big Mac must be getting frustrated as he speared Jens Meilleur at end of last night's game. Very stupid penalty at the end of the game after buzzer had gone.

In absence of Morden and Dea being scratched in 4 consecutive games - a move on the blue line is imminent. I feel for Morden - no 20 yo likes being sat (or potentially traded).... It's like I said before when you have 2 20's, 1 19, 4 18's and 1 16 and you can only dress 6 - someone has to sit. It wasn't going to be Morrissey, Guhle, Andrlik, or Busenius as long as they kept playing reasonably well. That left 2 of Morden, Lange, Stewart or Dea to sit if they kept 8 D men. With the Raiders now down to 7 D man - 1 of Lange, Stewart or Dea will sit every night. Lange will become more consistent over time will dress all/most the time if the Raiders remain at 7 D. The 6th D spot will be very scary til a move is made.

F trade will happen after D man situation is sorted out. Perreaux, Leverton and Danyluk playing well. Conroy, Draisaitl and whoever is playing left wing on that line (as it changes intermittently) are doing well.

Sttop
09-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Hart has been very good this year and in no way should be in a list with Braid. And IMO last game Stewart did replace morden, he got beat wide twice put of around 6 rushes. That replaces how morden had been playing .

Joe Hallenback
09-30-2013, 07:31 AM
What would you guys give up for Pulock if he returns?

I suggested a draft pick and a 16/17 year old and a gentlemens agreement for first dibs on Morrisey next year and 20 year old trade for Carson Perreaux

Sttop
09-30-2013, 09:40 AM
I really think if the Raiders were to target a Brandon dman it would be walters

Dwight Schrute
09-30-2013, 09:43 AM
I really think if the Raiders were to target a Brandon dman it would be walters

They may want the nhl development $$$ pulock would bring in

patsdude114
09-30-2013, 09:53 AM
I don't think KM will be in a hurry to trade Pulock anyways, he will get Pulock to play as many games as possible for the WKs to put them in a better position to make the playoffs. With such a young team a little playoff experience can go along ways in there development as a player and as a team.

Maybe a move just before Pulock goes to WJ training camp

sbtatter
09-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Appreciate the responses regarding WK players who looked decent. I think Bdn took some heart for competing (well, after 1st period in game 1!!) with the Raiders who should win the division and maybe the conference.

BillyBean
09-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Just saying those 3 guys can take it to another level from where they currently are at (particularly Braid). Winther and Hart are putting points on the board (so far) but need to be consistent throughout remainder of the season in order for Raiders to be successful.

I'm not sure that PA needs an all star D man such as Pulock or Reilly. Morrissey plays much better on a team when "he's the man". Not sure if dynamics would work if you had 2 top end D men trying to "be the guy". It might be an interesting problem to have though. I still think a more unassuming skilled defensive D man would be best solution.

If they stay with 7 D men, Big Mac will get his ice time/opportunity and only time will tell if he grabs a hold of it and runs with it.

BillyBean
09-30-2013, 12:17 PM
With the return of Doty. Med Hat has 4 overagers to deal with (3F, 1D). Leier, Valk, and Bredo are all career Tigers, not sure about Doty.

Given the Clouston connection, it wouldn't surprise me if the odd man out in Med Hat finds a home in PA. Doty would be a good addition from a enforcer with offensive upside standpoint while Valk, Leier on the front end and Bredo on the back end would all be a huge plus.

Any thoughts?

Dwight Schrute
09-30-2013, 12:20 PM
With the return of Doty. Med Hat has 4 overagers to deal with (3F, 1D). Leier, Valk, and Bredo are all career Tigers, not sure about Doty.

Given the Clouston connection, it wouldn't surprise me if the odd man out in Med Hat finds a home in PA. Doty would be a good addition from a enforcer with offensive upside standpoint while Valk, Leier on the front end and Bredo on the back end would all be a huge plus.

Any thoughts?

I saw leier play aaa a lot and he has a lot of skill would put up a lot of points but what would the cost be ?

RandyJackson
09-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I don't think the cost of any of those Med Hat guys should be overly extreme. We're in a better bargaining position than they are. They HAVE to get rid of one of those four guys, so its either take what's offered by willing teams or lose a quality 20 year old for no return payment.

Dwight Schrute
10-01-2013, 07:19 AM
I don't think the cost of any of those Med Hat guys should be overly extreme. We're in a better bargaining position than they are. They HAVE to get rid of one of those four guys, so its either take what's offered by willing teams or lose a quality 20 year old for no return payment.

We'll Bruno did pay a first round pick for a overage so why would Medicine Hat expect any less ?

RandyJackson
10-01-2013, 11:25 AM
True, but I think most people would agree that as good of a goalie as Chevy is, we gave up way too big an asset for an overage goalie. And Chevy's case is an entirely different set of circumstances. I'm admittedly not familiar with the amount of 20 year olds Kamloops had coming into the season that they felt comfortable with giving up their star goaltender. However, I think the decision was made with the intent to allow Taran Kozun, a goalie with very similar attributes to Chevy and two more years eligibility, the opportunity to fill the starting position. Kamloops was in a position where they had two outstanding starters, so why not give up the guy who's done in one year in exchange for a rockstar prospect that was being given away by someone in the market for a starter?

In Med Hat's case, they are in a position now that they absolutely have to trade up a 20 year old or give them up for nothing. So yes, this could potentially lead to a bidding war between teams with a serious chance of playoff contention this season. But hopefully we can get lucky and scoop up a solid player for relatively cheap.

Dwight Schrute
10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
True, but I think most people would agree that as good of a goalie as Chevy is, we gave up way too big an asset for an overage goalie.

I agree

BillyBean
10-01-2013, 01:12 PM
I also agree. However, there was really no choice as Kryski did not want to come to the Raiders. The mistake was not in trading Kryski for an overage goaltender. The mistake was originally drafting Kryski as our first round pick. Given PA has a history of not being successful with BC kids I am shocked that the decision was made to take a chance on Kryski. I am also doubly shocked that confirmation of his willingness to come to PA was not made prior to the bantam draft.

The problem is that the GM has now set the bar high as to what he is willing to pay for an overage 20-year-old. No other general manager will give him anything of value for less than a first round pick. Given the loss of a first round pick already, this mistake cannot be compounded by the loss of another first round pick.

If I remember correctly, Dean Clark was chastised for always patching the Raiders together with trades. The philosophy of the new management was supposed to be developing from within. They have done a relatively good job to this to this point. However, I do believe that a few more pieces are needed if the Raiders are going to have the success that the community is demanding this year. However, the Kryski mistake I believe will come back to haunt us in our attempts to acquire those pieces.

The Raiders cannot afford to sell the farm for success this year at the expense of years to come. I believe that Clouston is using this opportunity as a short term stop in his career to the next level. There must be something left for the coaching staff that follow in order to ice a decent hockey team in years to come that the community will support.

I believe acquiring a defensive defenseman for a fourth or fifth round pick would be a reasonable price or alternatively later round conditional pics if one is available. The same thing could be said for an additional forward with experience.

It will be interesting to see what pans out with them the next month or so.

Sttop
10-01-2013, 07:07 PM
IMO the Raiders add a overage forward within a week. My gut says Leier in MH but wouldn't hate Oulette from the Pats(or a former Pat) very similar to Danyluk. They will also need a defencemen and I am sure they are looking. But IMO Guenther would do just fine in the 6 spot.

BillyBean
10-01-2013, 08:57 PM
IMO the Raiders add a overage forward within a week. My gut says Leier in MH but wouldn't hate Oulette from the Pats(or a former Pat) very similar to Danyluk. They will also need a defencemen and I am sure they are looking. But IMO Guenther would do just fine in the 6 spot.

Leier would be a good choice. Guenther was felt not to be one of the top 8 D men and that was why he was sent home. Bringing back a 19-year-old D man is not what this team needs right at the moment. Particularly after he was sent down as a 19 yo. The only way it works is if they reassign one of Dea or Stewart and bring back Guenther while bringing up a 17-year-old.

I would prefer that they would reassign either Dea or Stewart while trading for a more solid 19-year-old D man and bringing up a 17-year-old D man off their list..

Sttop
10-01-2013, 09:39 PM
I think they sent him down because they thought Morden would be better and stick , making Guenther sit which of course you wouldn't do to a 19 year old. He wasent bad at camp but admitingly not above the top 5

BillyBean
10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
I think they sent him down because they thought Morden would be better and stick , making Guenther sit which of course you wouldn't do to a 19 year old. He wasent bad at camp but admitingly not above the top 5

I was kind of being facetious with my last post. I actually thought that Guenther was much better than Dea or Stewart. I would bring Guenther back and make a decision as to whether one of Stewart or Dea stays. Based on ice time currently I believe the coaching staff would pick Stewart. Once Dea has been reassigned I would bring up a 17-year-old off their list. If Guenther does not want to come back. I would still get rid of Dea and bring up a 17-year-old from their list. I would then make a trade for a 19 or 20-year-old D man to fill Morden's spot.

puckdad
10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Had a look at Verrall this weekend playing for MJ AAA against the Mintos. He had a decent defensive game, but would develop more in Midget AAA than playing limited minutes with the Raiders.

puckdad
10-02-2013, 08:39 PM
So, with the trade of Leier by Med Hat to Regina , their overage situation is settled. PA's search for another 20 continues.

Sttop
10-02-2013, 09:27 PM
That's a pretty high price to pay for a guy who hasent even been within 20 points of ppg. When I suggested getting him I was thinking a 4th round pick at best. I am a little worried about the price Bruno will have to pay to get a good 20

Wapitikev
10-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Well-executed game last night...except for a bit of lethargy in the third, the coaches must be happy with that effort.

Hope Gage Quinney isn't hurt too bad...he and Gardiner finally get time on the 2nd line (Winther hurt) and then Gage gets injured...bad luck.

4 games in, against a decent team, Stewart played his best game of the season.

Looks like we didn't have to give up a 1st round pick for a 20yo after all...would have been happier with a 4th but if he turns out as expected, a 3rd will be about right...wonder what the conditions are on the pick.

For those who know, how does Johnston compare to Leier?

-Wapitikev

RandyJackson
10-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Not to sound cheeky, but I'm not sure how one can compare the skill set of a 6"2 shutdown defenseman to a 5"9 winger. But what I do know is that we need a guy like him a lot more than Leier. We finally get our big, physical 20 year old D man and thus someone to eat up considerable minutes on the blue line from Stewart.

Wapitikev
10-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Not to sound cheeky, but I'm not sure how one can compare the skill set of a 6"2 shutdown defenseman to a 5"9 winger. But what I do know is that we need a guy like him a lot more than Leier. We finally get our big, physical 20 year old D man and thus someone to eat up considerable minutes on the blue line from Stewart.Ok I'll give you that one. :)

I was interested more in their type of game. Does Leier play more like Maylan or Braid? Does Johnston play more like Vandane or Ruopp?

Stewart won't get better if he doesn't play (either will Dea or Yaremchuk).

I'm not suggesting that a solid, veteran d-man should sit, particularly against the higher-scoring teams...but we faced one of those teams last night (RD is 5th in the WHL in goals-for) and didn't fare too badly.

Stewart has improved in each of the 4 games he's played...despite people slagging him here.

I hope he continues to get better.

-Wapitikev

BillyBean
10-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Ok I'll give you that one. :)

I was interested more in their type of game. Does Leier play more like Maylan or Braid? Does Johnston play more like Vandane or Ruopp?

Stewart won't get better if he doesn't play (either will Dea or Yaremchuk).

I'm not suggesting that a solid, veteran d-man should sit, particularly against the higher-scoring teams...but we faced one of those teams last night (RD is 5th in the WHL in goals-for) and didn't fare too badly.

Stewart has improved in each of the 4 games he's played...despite people slagging him here.

I hope he continues to get better.

-Wapitikev

I have seen Mac Johnston play 5 times in last 2 years is 6' 2" 200 lbs. 5th year in the WHL and has always played 50+ games each year. He is a decent skating defensive D man who finishes his checks and has a good first pass. He is not a enforcer/tough guy type and doesn't take a lot of penalties (this is a positive). Doesn't tend to rush the puck end to end a lot. So I'm not sure he's a Ruopp or a Vandane but maybe something in the middle. I hear from Kelowna players he is a great team mate and a good person.

This will decrease the ice from Dea and Stewart. Although in Dea's case it can't get much lower.

Dea remains an enigma to me, particularly from the standpoint of the Raiders plans for him as a player. He has had a full month of practice and 2 exhibition games to develop into a player that the coaching staff feels is ready to contribute to the Raiders D corps. Numbers game aside, I can only conclude that he is not progressing/developing or is taking longer than expected. With the addition of Johnston, I can only assume his opportunity for games will decrease. Even if he gets into 15-20 games this year he will see limited ice in each of those games (6-7 mins). So next year as a 19 yo "veteran" he will have played the equivalent minutes of 3 full games as a D man. Is that fair to the player ?, is that a benefit to the organization (think or Guenther)?. If Stewart is the better player, then send Dea down to play in the AJHL as he will develop with more playing minutes. He can be called up if necessary or the better decision may be to say that is the level where his career should be. If someone needs to be called up for injury I would default to the signed younger players on the Raiders list for their experience and maturation. The team really only has room and time for one project and that appears to be Big Mac.

I will eat a bit of 'humble pie" and admit that Stewart is doing OK. I think he is adapting his somewhat limited skill set to the speed and dynamics of the WHL game BUT a huge credit goes to Manson for placing him in extremely good situations. As the year progresses his adaptation will continue to improve but his skill set won't - it is what it is. If he is the team's project then they should put all of their efforts towards improving him and not thinning it out trying to deal with Dea. Dea has had 3 attempts at Raiders camp to outright win a roster spot on this team. I think the kid could still have a decent hockey career if they send him back to the AJHL. I don't think having him as a 2nd project is fair to him at this level.

Red Deer did not play as well as they did in the 2nd and 3rd periods against the Blades the night before. The Raiders also got them on back to back games with the Raiders having a bit of a rest since their last game. So.... I don't read to much into last nights game other than it was another consistent effort from Raiders (good to see). The Friday, Saturday test of Oil Kings and Broncos will be a better indicator of where Raiders are and there capacity to play a tight schedule both home and away.

I still think Leier would have been a nice addition/compliment to F's. 2nd round pick a bit to high but not a lot of huge difference between 2nd and 3rd that we paid for Johnston. I wonder what GM would have done if Morden was still here? Would it have been a F? Moves may still come

RandyJackson
10-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Looking like a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob out there tonight.

Sttop
10-04-2013, 08:32 PM
yup, imagine how many of you guys would be all over Stewart if he played half as bad as a couple of our dmen tonight. I liked to see Perraux stick up for Morrissey earlier in the game but since then its been pansy hockey . Neither goalie can stop a puck either.

chalk_one_up
10-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Johnston a -6 thus far.

Sttop
10-04-2013, 08:57 PM
ya , very disappointed in watching him. I don't see any kind of a upgrade on Morden there. I know guys are going to say let him learn the system ..but I just don't see it

JMoney1988
10-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Dafuq happened to your team tonight? I know our team sucks this year....., I'm just curious????

puckdad
10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
They read that they're ranked #2 and forgot that they have to earn it. Instead they were just rank.

chalk_one_up
10-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Not really a classy moment Hart.

Sttop
10-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Nope..he was looking for him right from the puck drop when hart got slufooted and then cross checked while on the ice

Sabes
10-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Johnston a -6 thus far.

Johnston wasn't as bad as the -6 suggests. Some of the blame has to be on goaltending. I think Johnston will be ok once he settles in. It looked like he can skate and hit, just wish he showed Some toughness when he got challenged to scrap. Also kinda disappointed Gardiner was the one to stand up and take a licken when our"tough guy" was also on the ice.

puckdad
10-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Our "tough guy" is who?

Sttop
10-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Our "tough guy " is braid. Who has shown no interest in being tough. No interest in sticking up for teammates . and so far no interest in playing good hockey. He has 1 point and the worst plus minus on the team,despite playing with Leon most of the year.

Landon
10-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Johnston will be a big upgrade from Morden. I am sure he would like to put lastnights game behind him though. Drew said that it was Johnston first game in 2 weeks. I have seen Johnston play a few times and will be a good fit once he gets a few games under his belt here. The goaltending didnt do the team any favours lastnight. I am most disapointed in Braid. He has done nothing to stay on this team. I would put Yaremchuck in his spot tonight and put Braid in the stands. Braid was challenged twice to drop the gloves against Red Deer and he didnt. Morrissey gets cross checked in the face lastnight and Braid turns a blindeye and skates to the bench while Perreaux takes care of it. Danyluk gets hit head first into the boards and Braid skates to the bench while Gardiner takes care of it. I hope Clouston starts sending a message that there wont be any passengers like in previous years. Word at the beginning of the season was Braid will be one of if not the toughest in WHL this year well he hasnt shown anything except softness so far.

Sttop
10-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Maybe what the raiders need to do is dress 7 dmen so Stewart can play. And if need be he will stick up for teammates . might as well deal braid. Prob get a decent return

Landon
10-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Maybe what the raiders need to do is dress 7 dmen so Stewart can play. And if need be he will stick up for teammates . might as well deal braid. Prob get a decent return

I really dont think Stewart can play in the WHL. He is to slow and cant skate. Stewart has been in 1 fight during exhibition and the games he has dressed for he hasnt played physical or aggresive. Stewart is more of a liability on the ice then he is off it.

Wapitikev
10-05-2013, 01:49 PM
I really dont think Stewart can play in the WHL. He is to slow and cant skate. Stewart has been in 1 fight during exhibition and the games he has dressed for he hasnt played physical or aggresive. Stewart is more of a liability on the ice then he is off it.
:deadhorse:
Nope..he was looking for him right from the puck drop when hart got slufooted and then cross checked while on the iceI didn't expect them to win 72 games but I wasn't expecting that.

The two missed calls by Edmonton against Hart from the time of the faceoff until Hart snapped were just two of a long series of non-calls (before and after) Hart's penalty in that period.

And that's all I'm going to say about the refs.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes the team to recover...and who starts in goal tonight.

6 games in and I'm still waiting for Double-deuce to play the way that got him invited to Washington's training camp in the first place...speedy, strong physical play that creates room on the ice for him and his teammates to maneuver and score.

Hope we don't have to wait too long for the team and Braid to recover, refocus and resume winning.

At least we didn't give points away to anyone from our Division.

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
10-05-2013, 07:28 PM
I didn't see your game last night.....But all I can say after watching all of Brandon's home games so far is.....the refs in this league are getting worse and worse, they miss the obvious stuff but call chintzy penalties, it must drive the players crazy imo.....

Sttop
10-05-2013, 08:44 PM

He has tried to fight every time there was a chance...just like tonight.

Sttop
10-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Just as we say it Braid has a very spirited fight with Lesanne. Good on him

BillyBean
10-05-2013, 11:23 PM
That's great! Now we proven that we have two guys that are willing to fight. I'm not sure that either one of them won their fights in a unanimous decision. Now if we can only find somebody that could score goals. Leon and Dakota need a left winger that has high hockey IQ and can put the puck in the net. The coach has played musical chairs with the lines for about the last five games trying to find a suitable left-winger. The trade will have to be made soon in order to maximize Leon's potential with this team. As well, another move will have to be made on the blue line to solidify this position. These two moves need to be made in order for the Raiders to actually be contenders this year. Tough decisions will have to be made with the existing roster. However, these moves may allow for some of the younger players to be developed with a continued veteran influence.

dodywood4ever
10-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Man that Stewart kid is a monster. First time I saw Lernout look small.

sbtatter
10-07-2013, 06:08 AM
What's up with Jayden Hart taking these stupid runs at players, Lisoway from behind, then an EOK after he'd scored? Has he always been this way? I don't remember him from last season

Sttop
10-07-2013, 09:47 AM
He got slew footed of the draw then cross checked in the head when he was on the ice.

Wapitikev
10-07-2013, 11:30 AM
He got slew footed of the draw then cross checked in the head when he was on the ice....and there was no call from the either ref (after a number of non-calls before that on other players)...and so the 2-0 goal counted. Jayden was obviously a little upset...I'm extremely glad he didn't cross check someone in a black and white jersey with an orange arm band.

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
10-07-2013, 05:27 PM
He got slew footed of the draw then cross checked in the head when he was on the ice.

Gotcha ya.

Sttop
10-07-2013, 06:36 PM
ya by the time he got up they had already scored

chalk_one_up
10-08-2013, 08:39 PM
7-1 PP's for the Raiders after 2. Refs giving PA a gift.

Just as I type this, PA gets two penalties..lol

dondo
10-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Okay I listened to this one. I have got to know how it went at the arena. Did the Raiders just step it up or did the Giants, as I fear, curl back into their defensive shell, sending in one fore-checker and sitting four in the neutral zone?

Players who were dominant in the first, were barely made mention of in the second and third it seems really, really odd to me. Especially since the boys from Vancouvertown should have had all the motivation in the world, to maintain the intensity.

RandyJackson
10-09-2013, 01:30 PM
From what I saw, Vancouver definitely let their foot off the accelerator, but it was largely induced by a myriad of penalties. A couple of the calls were a little soft, but most were blatantly obvious penalties. That being said, PA did finally pull their heads out of the asses and started playing some hockey after the first period.

In addition to the Vancouver penalties, you're right, the Giants did retreat and gave up their offensive edge for a neutral zone trap. The trap definitely held back the Raiders to some extent, but it was only a matter of time before they broke through and got some points on the board.

dondo
10-10-2013, 12:00 AM
That particular trap has yet to work well in any game I have seen, it is boring as hell to watch and against a speed team like Portland and Tri-Cities it is pure death.

My biggest problem with it is they stand in the neutral zone. They don't cycle through maintaining the ability to bring closing speed, they stand flat-footed and one crisp pass to a streaking player and that system breaks down horribly with no ability to recover.

Congrats on the win, but I have got to see better games from my team -- they really don't suck that much or maybe they do and I am in utter denial Boogaard'd

sbtatter
10-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Seems like the Raiders have cooled off a bit? How do you guys rate Clouston so far?

BillyBean
10-14-2013, 06:20 PM
With a similar number of games played compared to their Eastern Conference Rivals (12 teams), Clouston's team has the 2nd most Goals Against (42) next to the Blades (40) and the Hurricanes (50). In fact the Raiders Goals Against is worse than the worst Western Conference team Giants (41)!!!! The Raiders are currently in 3rd spot. Medicine Hat and Swift Current are in 1st and 2nd respectively and only have 20 and 25 Goals Against respectively - which is more than half that of Raiders.

If I remember correctly Clouston was hired for and had a reputation of being a solid defensive coach. Based on these current numbers, either his system or methods of teaching are not working or the defenseman core and goaltending are substandard. I believe it is a combination of the above possibilities. The only reason that the Raiders are in 3rd place is that they seem to be able to generate offense (most Goals For - 41).

When Clouston was let go in Brandon - McCrimmon stated publicly that their lack of defense and poor GA was one of many reasons for his dismissal.

Cheveldave seems to be stopping the puck but is giving up way to many juicy rebounds leading to 2nd chance opportunities. When you look at the performance age-profile and so-called experience of the Raider D core, they are performing substantially behind the other D core's in the Eastern Conference which have a much younger age distribution and therefore much less experience. From what I hear Manson has very little input into the D structure which is a shame with his experience.

Most D -core in the Eastern Conference have a minimum of 1-97 and 1-96 Dmen with several having 2 or 3 96 Dman. So, not only are the Raiders not getting the performance out of their D core they are not developing any younger players for future years. One needs only look at the number of DZ turnovers and poor performance in battles along the boards in DZ as a potential reason why.

Now, it just isn't the D and G's fault and the team defensive game remains an issue as a whole.

The season will have its up and down cycles but the Raiders have yet to play any of the top teams in the Western Conference and will have to endure the US road trip in February.

I am seeing too many similarities to the Brandon scenario 2 years ago. The Raiders are currently 0-3 on this mini road trip and face Edmonton tomorrow night which now has added Reinhart back on their roster. Hopefully, it doesn't go to 0-4!

I believe that changes need to be made immediately on the blue line (more defensive and less offensive D men) with the addition of a top end F. If those changes don't stabilize performance then the focus should switch to the coaching and system.

Wapitikev
10-14-2013, 11:24 PM
The team's record is 650 after 10 games and you are slagging the coach? 0.650 projects to 93 points over the course of an entire season! Not to mention that 93 points is very likely a Division banner!

Clouston's had ten whole games to turn around one of the worst defenses in the league over the last three years.

Hart, Conroy, Winther and Quinney missed the first two games of the road trip...we lost game one in overtime and the second by 1 goal in regulation.

We were still without Conroy, Winther and Quinney against Kooteney and we were down by only one goal in the third when they got the empty netter.

If we were getting blown out 9-1 every game with a full-roster then there would be a reason for concern, but the last 4 games we are averaging only 3.25 goals against while missing a substantial amount of offensive talent.

It was patently obvious, going into the season, that our offense was going to have to remain healthy and score because our defense would struggle.

Unless Conroy, Winther and Quinney are out for the season, it's waaaaaaaaaaay to early to be so worried.

And if they are out for the season, then go ahead and worry, but it is still waaaaaaaay to early to slag the coach.

BTW-what/who are we going to sell to get the defensive d-men and the top-end forward that you are looking for? And if they don't gel with the rest of the team within 10 games, what then?

We do NOT want to be, this year, what Saskatoon became last year.

-Wapitikev

BillyBean
10-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I guess, since this is a forum, we are both entitled to our opinions.

My question to you is - "What result is the Raider Nation going to be happy with this year"? Division title, Conference title, Mem Cup, making through the first round of the playoffs. Everything I have heard from the team and from the media is that there are high expectations for the Raiders this year - and simply making it through the first round of the playoffs is not going to be sufficient. So the bar has been set very high by the team, league and fans. So my last post is based on that premise.

Last year the Raiders finished 5th in the Eastern Conference with 234 Goals For and 233 Goals Against. 11 games in the Raiders are currently 41 Goals For and 42 Goals Against. Just like you extrapolate winning percentage I will extrapolate GF and GA as a reason for my argument. I will also supplement with how I think the team compares from this year to last on D, G, and F.

As you have smartly stated, the Raiders were well aware that their existing D core has some limitations. They lost Ruopp, Vandane and Morden and have added Guhle, Johnston, Andrlik, Dea, and Stewart. The rest of the "core" - Busenius, Lange and Morrissey are the same from last year. Guhle is a good prospect and adds depth to the younger end but the team did not and has not made a move to fill the defensive void of Ruopp. Busenius is no Ruopp. Johnston and Morden are the same. Andrlik probably is the same as Lange last year. So essentially the D core is perhaps slightly weaker than it was last year.

I think goaltending so far is similar between last year and this year. Injury aside, what I have seen of Cheveldave this year is pretty similar to Siemens last year. Both had/have the ability to win the Raiders games on any given night. Chevy needs a bit better rebound control, particularily in light of the slightly weaker D core. These weaknesses can be adjusted for through DZ coverage schemes but so far the Raiders net front and corner play in the DZ has been weak. So I answered what I thought was the problem in my last post.

You pointed out that the Raiders have had injuries on the front end. The last time I checked Winther, Hart or Conroy were never really known as defensive forwards. So I'm not sure that their absence explains poor DZ or NZ play. If anything it should affect the offensive play and the Raiders lead the Goals For stat in the Eastern Conference with (41).

On the front end I believe the Raiders are better than last year. Draisaitl should eventually elevate his play to the level of a McNeill compensating for McNeill's departure. Gardiner, Perreaux and Conroy are all playing better than last year. Even in the absence of Winther, Hart and Conroy the Raiders are still at the top end of Goals For in Eastern Conference. Offense is not the problem!

My philosophy is that defense wins championships! Therefore, I would be of the mindset of taking a bit from our strength (F's) in order to strengthen our apparent weakness (D). I never said sell the farm - I'm suggesting smart player trades at the mid level depth to balance out the weakness.

It's also a question of having players that fit into the systems the coach is implementing. I'm a big believer that you fit your systems around the players that you have. However, Clouston was brought in and inherited a list or roster of players that may not match the systems he is trying to implement. I'm just not convinced that the offensive defensmen we have fit his defense first systems. Normally, you would take your time and slowly get the players you want into the system. But with the high expectations of fans and management the time may not be available. Lets face it Clouston wasnt brought here for a long term rebuild. He wants to move to the next level and will be gone in 2 years success or not.

I think Johnston should improve with time and may be a good addition. However, Moose Jaw got Jesse Forsberg for a 3rd round pick a week after the Raiders got Johnston for the same 3rd round pick. Time will tell which was a better trade but it might have been nice to have the choice between the 2.

I don't think I slagged Clouston at all. I brought up potential areas that could explain obvious weaknesses in the Raiders game. I believe Clouston is an experienced coach and I truly believe in a defense first system. I was simply saying that based on the first 11 games the GF and GA numbers would suggest that the D first part of the plan is not working. I don't buy the F injuries as a cause for this result.

I also never said the sky was falling. The season is very young, young enough that minor adjustments can be made at multiple areas to improve the team. But what I am saying is that there are tendencies and weaknesses in the Raiders game that should be recognized and fixed (in the least harmful way) as soon as possible. The longer you ignore these weaknesses or come up with excuses for them - you will end up paying a higher price at a later date to fix them.

I appreciate you extrapolating winning percentage as an indicator of where the Raiders will finish. But it really doesn't matter where they finish in the regular season - I think we all want to see them in the Memorial Cup. I dont want to sell the farm to get to that level and think if we make a few changes now it will be cheaper than selling the farm later on. Time will tell.

I hope the Raiders take a little revenge on the Oil Kings tonight.

Wapitikev
10-15-2013, 09:00 PM
I hope the Raiders take a little revenge on the Oil Kings tonight. Me too...Hart should get revenge on the scoresheet instead of checking guys from behind and losing the ensuing fight, however.

With all the sound and fury I forgot to say congratulations to Nick McBride on a great game in Kootenay.

...now on to the main event:

I guess, since this is a forum, we are both entitled to our opinions.

My question to you is - "What result is the Raider Nation going to be happy with this year"? Division title, Conference title, Mem Cup, making through the first round of the playoffs. Everything I have heard from the team and from the media is that there are high expectations for the Raiders this year - and simply making it through the first round of the playoffs is not going to be sufficient. So the bar has been set very high by the team, league and fans. So my last post is based on that premise.

Last year the Raiders finished 5th in the Eastern Conference with 234 Goals For and 233 Goals Against. 11 games in the Raiders are currently 41 Goals For and 42 Goals Against. Just like you extrapolate winning percentage I will extrapolate GF and GA as a reason for my argument. I will also supplement with how I think the team compares from this year to last on D, G, and F.

As you have smartly stated, the Raiders were well aware that their existing D core has some limitations. They lost Ruopp, Vandane and Morden and have added Guhle, Johnston, Andrlik, Dea, and Stewart. The rest of the "core" - Busenius, Lange and Morrissey are the same from last year. Guhle is a good prospect and adds depth to the younger end but the team did not and has not made a move to fill the defensive void of Ruopp. Busenius is no Ruopp. Johnston and Morden are the same. Andrlik probably is the same as Lange last year. So essentially the D core is perhaps slightly weaker than it was last year.

I think goaltending so far is similar between last year and this year. Injury aside, what I have seen of Cheveldave this year is pretty similar to Siemens last year. Both had/have the ability to win the Raiders games on any given night. Chevy needs a bit better rebound control, particularily in light of the slightly weaker D core. These weaknesses can be adjusted for through DZ coverage schemes but so far the Raiders net front and corner play in the DZ has been weak. So I answered what I thought was the problem in my last post.

You pointed out that the Raiders have had injuries on the front end. The last time I checked Winther, Hart or Conroy were never really known as defensive forwards. So I'm not sure that their absence explains poor DZ or NZ play.Everyone plays defense in Clouston's system, reputation means nothing.

If anything it should affect the offensive play and the Raiders lead the Goals For stat in the Eastern Conference with (41).Not since the injuries. 2.5 goals for/game since Hart was ejected...if that's isn't a symptom of games-missed affecting offensive play then I don't know what is.

On the front end I believe the Raiders are better than last year. Draisaitl should eventually elevate his play to the level of a McNeill compensating for McNeill's departure. Gardiner, Perreaux and Conroy are all playing better than last year. Even in the absence of Winther, Hart and Conroy the Raiders are still at the top end of Goals For in Eastern Conference. Offense is not the problem!I agree, but you said (two posts ago and earlier) that we need a "top end forward" ...we already have the makings of more than one of those...why do we need to trade for another one?

My philosophy is that defense wins championships! Therefore, I would be of the mindset of taking a bit from our strength (F's) in order to strengthen our apparent weakness (D). I never said sell the farm - I'm suggesting smart player trades at the mid level depth to balance out the weakness.Ok, fix our D, yes...but then you say that we need a top end forward...who will we trade for that if we trade all our developing forwards for d-men...no one will give us a top end forward for our current d-men.

It's also a question of having players that fit into the systems the coach is implementing. I'm a big believer that you fit your systems around the players that you have. However, Clouston was brought in and inherited a list or roster of players that may not match the systems he is trying to implement. I'm just not convinced that the offensive defensmen we have fit his defense first systems. Normally, you would take your time and slowly get the players you want into the system. But with the high expectations of fans and management the time may not be available. Lets face it Clouston wasnt brought here for a long term rebuild. He wants to move to the next level and will be gone in 2 years success or not....which is why we will have to be satisfied with the progress that the coach can make teaching his system to what he has, now...defensive d-men aren't exactly falling into Brunos' or any one else's lap.

I think Johnston should improve with time and may be a good addition. However, Moose Jaw got Jesse Forsberg for a 3rd round pick a week after the Raiders got Johnston for the same 3rd round pick. Time will tell which was a better trade but it might have been nice to have the choice between the 2.

I don't think I slagged Clouston at all.Then why bring up all that junk about what supposedly happened in Brandon and then say
I am seeing too many similarities to the Brandon scenario 2 years ago. You then go on to say that if your suggested trades don't work then the coaching (and GM) should be changed...that's a funny way of supporting the coach.

I brought up potential areas that could explain obvious weaknesses in the Raiders game. I believe Clouston is an experienced coach and I truly believe in a defense first system. I was simply saying that based on the first 11 games the GF and GA numbers would suggest that the D first part of the plan is not working.It's waaaaaay to early for his system to be learned by a defense of the talent level that we have.

I don't buy the F injuries as a cause for this result.It isn't why the defense first system isn't fuly implemented...it's why we are losing games by a goal instead of winning them by a goal or two.

I also never said the sky was falling. The season is very young, young enough that minor adjustments can be made at multiple areas to improve the team.Why do we need to keep tinkering with the roster? Give the coaches another 10-20 games to re-enforce their system and let the forwards get healthy and continue to develop.

But what I am saying is that there are tendencies and weaknesses in the Raiders game that should be recognized and fixed (in the least harmful way) as soon as possible. The longer you ignore these weaknesses or come up with excuses for them - you will end up paying a higher price at a later date to fix them.How is blatantly stating that we aren't good defensively ignoring the problems? Saying that players are still learning a new system and may need the entire season to do so is stating a simple fact, not making an excuse...any new players are going to have to learn that new system as well.

I appreciate you extrapolating winning percentage as an indicator of where the Raiders will finish. But it really doesn't matter where they finish in the regular season - I think we all want to see them in the Memorial Cup. I dont want to sell the farm to get to that level and think if we make a few changes now it will be cheaper than selling the farm later on. Time will tell.When I talked about Saskatoon last year I wasn't just talking about selling their future, I was also talking about making too many changes too often throughout the year...when the change finally stopped was when Saskatoon started winning. But then, when the wining stopped, the team didn't know what to do to get through that adversity...because they were a team full of new guys that didn't know how to recover.

Everybody said that the trade last Dec 31st ruined the team (despite the evidence that we sucked from Dec 1 onward)...let's not make rumour repeat itself this year.

Let the team play through some losses...when they learn how to win again the entire team will be a much stronger group going into the 2nd half...and will likely be dedicated to Clouston's system as well.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
10-15-2013, 10:56 PM
And Hart doesn't return after the power outage...back to missing 3.

Winther playing a good game in his first back.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
10-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Another tight game...4th in 5 nights but the boys kept up to Edmonton and sustained good pressure, even in the third.

Chevy won a good game, making 39 saves; one of his best, in overtime, on a breakaway, for a save% of 0.949, plus three straight stops in the shootout...making our third shooter (likely Josh) unnecessary. I'm sure he'd like that bobbled penalty shot back, though.

Reid Gardiner continues to shine on the top line with a point-pace that is well ahead of Winther in his draft year but not yet as good as McNeill.

Two straight games for the team with only 2 goals against...

A great 2 points for what must be a tired team...65 more to go for 80.

Go Raiders!

-Wapitikev

Landon
10-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I was at the game lastnight and the whole team played very well considering the long road trip. The game started off with Hart getting ko'd by Moroz 16 seconds into the game. I hope Hart isnt out of the lineup for to long and makes a speedy recovery. The thing that bugs me the most about the Raiders is that they dont stick up for eachother. When one of your top forwards gets knocked out someone should be defending him. Braid was on the ice when Hart was injured and watched Moroz skating to the penalty box starring down the Raider bench. It was Moroz that scored Oil kings 2nd goal putting them up 2 to 1. It was a good to take 2 points out of edmonton but it was costly with Hart being injured.

RandyJackson
10-16-2013, 10:42 AM
I have to agree with Landon on this one. Having Braid (who is supposedly one of the toughest guys in the league) just stand there and watch Moroz jump Hart was pretty disgusting. It was well known that Hart was going to be challenged at some point tonight, which is completely fine considering what he did to Lazar. But watching Lazar stand right next to the fight chirping the whole time and then arrogantly congratulate Moroz after the fight should have warranted a response of some sort later in the game. Moroz deserved a good beating after jumping Hart and staring down the Raider bench.

puckdad
10-16-2013, 01:20 PM
All 4 games on this road trip were decided by 1 goal. In each game, the Raiders pulled their goalie: Paid off in 2 games, scoring twice against Red Deer, and again last night in Edmonton, back-fired once (Kootenay) resulted in an EN goal.

Interesting that PA out-played their opposition (IMO) in the 1st three games, which they lost, but Edmonton slightly out-played them last night in their only win of the trip. Give the win to Chevy - that's the kind of player they traded their 1st round pick (Kryski) and a 7th in this year's draft for, not the guy who let in 4 1st period goals the last time PA played the Oil Kings.

Speaking of Jake Kryski, I'm disappointed to note that he is the only Raider draft choice that was selected to any of the 4 Western Provinces Under 16 Teams. That is not a good sign for for the future of this team.

puckdad
10-16-2013, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE=RandyJackson;192489]I have to agree with Landon on this one. Having Braid (who is supposedly one of the toughest guys in the league) just stand there and watch Moroz jump Hart was pretty disgusting.

#22 has steadily played his way down the lineup. Started the season on the top line with Leon. If playing with one of the best in the WHL won't light a fire under you, nothing will.
Its too bad the highlights don't show enough of what preceded Moroz's goal last night. Reinhardt rushed the puck past Braid, who did kind of a bull-fighter move at the red line as he waved him through, then was barely in the DZ when the puck went in. 1 point in 12 games and a well-deserved minus 8 so far this season.
Chance, you've had your chance, now its time for a change.

Sttop
10-16-2013, 06:32 PM
i agree. I think the return would be decent. even if its getting back a much needed pick or prospect

BillyBean
10-23-2013, 08:49 PM
End of the 2nd Period shots 34-10. Wow! Raiders have 14 turnovers in the DZ. McBride standing on his head otherwise it would be a blowout. D are getting beat to most pucks in the DZ. Offense can't even get through NZ very well on either rush of dump chance. Has to be a much better 3rd.

BillyBean
10-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Much better start to 3rd. PA outshooting Regina 5-1. Hart with goal on odd man rush due to turnover from bouncing puck on Pat D man. PA 2-1.

BillyBean
10-23-2013, 09:00 PM
What an absolutely selfish, stupid, idiotic play by Mike Winther!!!! His team is in the lead and he takes a rightly called 5 minute major and game misconduct for a hit. Suspension coming.

BillyBean
10-23-2013, 09:24 PM
PP clicking 2 for 3. Much better effort from Raiders but McBride is only reason they are even in the game. Nice to see the kid steal a game for the Raiders. Kid should be playing more games!

Shots 43-17 mid way through 3rd. The 5 minute major aside (not many shots by Regina) I still say biggest weakness of this team is it's DZ coverage. Defense of course starts in OZ and NZ - a strong look has to be given to the quality of the fore check and back tracking through the middle.

Raiders shutting Pats down last half of 3rd period. Out shoot Pats 10-9 in 3rd but final tally 43-20 for Pats.

Pats deserved to win the game based on their play but the Raiders found a way to win. A win is a win but the Raiders have to start playing a lot better.

patsdude114
10-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Pats deserved to win the game based on their play but the Raiders found a way to win. A win is a win but the Raiders have to start playing a lot better.

The Raiders did find a way to win this game, they had some puck luck going there way forsure, 1st goal was a gift after a blocked shot by Burroughs, Engel didn't stand a chance on it, 2nd goal as you said a bouncing puck at Raiders blueline caused a 2on1 & Hart made no mistake.

McBride looked like a seasoned vet between the pipes, he did bobble a few pucks in the 1st & had the puck just sitting in the crease but the Dman were there to bail him out.

I agree with a comment above about the Raiders lack defensive zone coverage, they turned over so many pucks & the Pats just kept pressuring them time and time again. Even Morrissey turned over his share as well.

Was a good game though even if the Pats lost was still nice to see a lot of domination on the ice. The Pats still lack finish, hopefully that comes but can not complain with watching how they play. Anything beats Conacher's boring chip n chase all game long.

puckdad
10-24-2013, 10:29 AM
For a 16-year old rookie, McBride has certainly looked relaxed & poised in both of his starts. He earned 1st star status last night for his 42 save performance that basically won the game for the Raiders. His last start was in Kootenay, where he was 2nd star & stopped 31 of 32 shots to give his team a chance to win. Ultimately, the Raiders lost that game after an empty net goal, but with any luck at Koot's net, would have had a win. I'd love to see him in more games to see if he can keep it up. The only time he hasn't looked good was the 9-1 blowout vs Edmonton, but no one on the team looked good that game.

puckdad
10-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Agree with previous posters that turnovers could easily have cost the Raiders this game. Unforced NZ turnovers, and DZ kept them constantly defending and trying to win puck battles that should never have occurred. Leverton had a particularly bad night with turnovers. Better teams will just bury us if it keeps on. Turnovers & momentum-sapping penalties are 2 things that good teams have to eliminate.
I did not see the Winther penalty, but it put the team down 2 skaters at a critical time & a 5 minute major must have been flagrant. Once again, good teams will use an opportunity like that to bury their opponents.

puckdad
10-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Highlight reel goal by Boston Leier to score the Pat's only goal. We'll see that on WHL Plays of the Week for sure.
Was nice to see that when Klimchuk tried a similar 1-on-1 move near the end of the 3rd, he got snot-bubbled.

patsdude114
10-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Was nice to see that when Klimchuk tried a similar 1-on-1 move near the end of the 3rd, he got snot-bubbled.

Ya he got taken down pretty hard on that play but to be fair it was against a different Dman so kind of hard to even compare the 2 plays, had it been against the same guy Busenius he prob would of walked around him too as he plays so soft for a 20yr old Dman. He got turned around a lot last night.

RandyJackson
10-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Normally I wouldn't bat an eye if someone were to tell me that Winther took a 5 minute major for checking to the head, seeing as he has made some bonehead hits in the past. But after watching a replay of it on the Pats' website, I have to say that it was a bad call by the refs. It was a beautiful open-ice check. He hit the Pats player directly in the shoulder just as he let a shot go from the high slot. Winther was just travelling with enough momentum that it caused Gay's head to snap back from impact and his entire lower body to fly out from under him.

puckdad
10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
I dunno. Real time looked pretty bad. Replay maybe not so bad. I watched it about 8 times on slo-mo, advancing frame by frame and I think Winther's shoulder caught him on the chin. A fraction late, but don't think the head was targeted, though. I'm thinking a GM, but no suspension after they review it.
Winther delivered a more evident high hit to Hak earlier, actually leaving his feet, immediately preceding Hart's goal. That's pretty obvious on the game highlight video.

RandyJackson
10-24-2013, 12:59 PM
It definitely looked aggressive at full speed, but I don't see any major issue with the hit after slowing it down. The refs obviously don't have that luxury on the spot though.

patsdude114
10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
I haven't seen the replay yet to really look at it closely, it happened so fast from a scoring chance area. Winther did come out of no where I didn't think it was worth a 5min major when I 1st seen the hit live, I thought 2 for charging if anything. Ill get a chance to look at the replay later today to give my opinion on the hit, nothing Winther does surprises anyone anymore though. He has given his share of cheap shots in regina over his years playing in regina against the Pats.

puckdad
10-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Wow
4 games for the alleged "check to the head"
Harsh for what should have been 2 minutes at the most.

Sttop
10-26-2013, 10:25 PM
1 game maybe , but 4 games???? hits like this used to be on highlight reels everywhere. Pretty soon they wont be playing with blades on sticks anymore and shooting a ring instead of a puck !

BUT ... a big win tonight and a pretty complete team win. I thought everyone played hard on the defensive side of the game . Chevy played very well and maybe just needs to be pushed like Mcbride has been doing. The team does look decent but I am curious as to what Bruno offered up for the 2 Hurricanes that were dealt this week.

patsdude114
10-27-2013, 01:17 PM
Wow
4 games for the alleged "check to the head"
Harsh for what should have been 2 minutes at the most.

not sure if you were able to pause the hit at the exact point of impact but Winthers shoulder is right on the head of Gay's which is a direct head shot even if he wasn't attempting to hit the head, but who knows with Winther 1 of the dirtier players in the eastern conference. Im sure all that goes into consideration when handing out a suspension If my memory servers me right Winther has been suspended before and just like the NHL all all gets accounted for.

During the game I thought it was at best a 2min minor for charging but after actually watching the replay 5 times in a row and pausing it during impact you can clearly see why he got a 4 game suspension. Im usually very critical of the refs in this league but in game action they actually did get the call right & no that's not a homers opinion at all.

BillyBean
10-31-2013, 09:00 AM
How would people grade the Raiders after the first 1/5 of the season? They are currently 9-6-1-0 and sit 2nd in the Eastern Conference with a winning percentage of .594. This winning percentage and record in the Western Conference would be good enough for 5th place. How would you rate G, D and F's. What adjustments need to be made?

Sttop
10-31-2013, 03:07 PM
The goaltending has been getting better. If they plan on finishing in the final 4 IMO a elite winger to play with Leon and a #2 dman will need to be added

Wapitikev
11-05-2013, 01:06 AM
If I would have told you that the team was going to be 1 point shy of last season, without McNeill or Ruopp after 18 games, would you have believed it?

Tough test coming in the next three games (2 vs Swift and Med Hat in between).

57 points (.528) to go to a playoff spot. Probably more like 67 for the Division Title (.657).

Either way, that's a lot of hard work still to be done.

Despite the god-awful amount of turnovers, the team's goals against has been dropping the last 5 games (only 7 while the goalie was in the net). Forcing most of the shots to come from the outside has really helped the goal tenders shine.

They've played .714 hockey since Oct 15th, winning 5 out 7.

Hope the team continues to improve in November (stop getting suspensions would help so some lines can settle-in).

If so, trades may not be necessary.

-Wapitikev

Raiderfan8
11-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Do the Raiders get in on the Ryan Pilon sweepstakes and what would we have to give up?

BillyBean
11-05-2013, 06:21 PM
Not sure if Raiders need another offensive D man but.....

Busenius or Lange, Braid and a 5th in 2015.

Sttop
11-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I would imagine the Canes would want a 16 or 17 year old as part of the deal. I would think they would be after Guhle and then Gennerro. What would be nice is if Lange and Vanstone would get a deal done. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Canes want to pull off a huge deal to shake up a locker room that seems to have lost there way. A team may get a load of talent out of the Canes for a decent price right now.

Sttop
11-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I listened to Brunos interview in between periods of last nights game. He did not sound encouraged with talks to get Pilon. He basically said all the teams will want him and we don't feel like we have to give up the assets to get him, because Bruno feels he has a good enough team to contend in the East. I disagree and would imagine everyone else but Kevin will disagree as well.

puckdad
11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Regina plucked Jesse Zgraggen from Calgary for a 4th Rd Pick in '14.
Last night he had a goal & 2 assists and was +3 and named 2nd star.
PA traded a 3rd Rd pick in '15 to Kelowna for Johnston. In 14 games he has a goal & 2 assists & dash 11.
I know its only 1 game (and against Lethbridge), but which GM looks like the better judge of talent & has made the best roster moves?

BillyBean
11-07-2013, 10:50 AM
It is obvious from watching the progression of the Raiders games through the year that defensive systems structure that they are implementing (breakout, dump OZ entry and NZ trap) is completely squashing the offensive and defensive creativity of some of their key players. It is a system that is not working particularly well (look at the shot against totals through the year). In fact last night alone there must have been 7-8 odd man rushes against the Raiders!

There will be people who point out that the Raiders are first in their division and we should be happy! But the East Division is a weak division compared to others in the WHL. The Raiders record is deceiving. They have not played a lot of games against better teams outside their division or conference. When they have the results have not been consistently good. A lot of their wins come from playing weaker intra-divisional teams. As I have said before, their record and winning percentage would only be good for 5-6th in the western conference. Ultimately, these are the teams that the Raiders need to go through to get to the Memorial Cup.

The score last night seemed to indicate that the game was close but it was far from that - 2 of the Raiders goals were lucky bounces or shots and the only quality goal was Morrissey's. The Raiders can't rely only lucky bounces every night to stay in games. Every single one of S Currents goals last night was a controlled zone entry off the rush or off the cycle.

It is sad to watch talented players afraid to make a mistake or make a play different from what is expected of the system based on their read and react. Do we really want to see Leon, Winther, Hart or Conroy dump the puck on zone entry (their success rate on these dump entries is low)? Do we want to see Morrissey make a D to half wall pass to a F on the breakout only to have the subsequent x-ice pass picked off or do we want to see him rush the puck and make a play or have a zone entry and score.

CC has stated himself in the media that the Raiders have struggled in their own zone, particularly in breakouts which has led to a huge number of DZ or NZ turnovers that has cost this team dearly. Maybe a system needs to be built that suits the talent levels of the team as opposed to trying to force a system that maybe doesn't suit the team. Square peg in a round hole analogy.

I really want the Raiders to have success this year, but I fear that the players have been locked into a system that doesn't suit the players strengths and the system doesn't appear to be generating what it's intended for - defense (less goals, less shots against). I don't have hard and fast numbers but i believe that the Raiders goals against and shots against at the same time last year were significantly less under a totally different system.

Pilon would be a nice addition to the Raiders but I don't think the price or what he could bring to the team would significantly improve the Raiders in their current structure.

Lets hope that adjustments can be made that allow the Raiders to have increasing success in the next 20 games!

Sttop
11-07-2013, 02:51 PM
great post. IMO even with Leons talent the Raiders have the weakest 1st line in the East division. Leon needs someone to create some room for himself but right now teams can clamp on him even when he doesn't have the puck because he is playing with no real weapons. I mean really Conroy and Braid are 3rd line players. And Gardiner who is having a great season, but can not keep getting the breaks that he has been getting. If I were Bruno I would be on the phone trying to get Fioretti who could be well over a ppg player playing with Leon. Another option would be Ramsay in Lethbridge who can do it all. (including protect Leon and Morrissey) . And possibly give up some of that forward depth for Pilon. For a package like Guhle and Vanstone I would think the Raiders could get Pilon and one of there good young forwards as the Canes are looking for a change in the locker room.

puckdad
11-07-2013, 03:59 PM
What about Alex Forsberg from PG. LH Shot, can be creative when he wants to, good finish, wanted out of PG last year & from Martensville, so would be closer to home.

Sttop
11-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Both forsbergs would have been ideal. For some reason Bruno liked McKenzie better then Jesse forsberg thoUgh

Dwight Schrute
11-08-2013, 07:17 AM
What about Alex Forsberg from PG. LH Shot, can be creative when he wants to, good finish, wanted out of PG last year & from Martensville, so would be closer to home.

He's from Waldheim which is actually closer to pa then martensville
I would have tried to pluck yakabuwski when he was traded after and awful start but who scored 32 goals last year and had over. 100 pim

radrguy
11-09-2013, 08:26 AM
What is with this team and major penalties? Danyluk took a cross checking major and game misconduct last night, so I imagine we'll be without him for a few games now.

Sttop
11-09-2013, 08:45 PM
more alarming is the defensive play. it looks to me like they think they have to take the flow out of the game and cant just play good team defence. I sure hope Bruno realizes he can get a much better 20 year old before Christmas break so they don't have to pay a 3rd for this guy. Hes not awful but a team worse -14 and no offensive threat and definitely not a shut down guy.

Landon
11-09-2013, 09:44 PM
My question is:
When does Clouston start putting players in the stands for poor effort? I thought he was hired because of his zero tolerance for poor effort.
Things will be interesting at Christmas when Morrissey and Draisaitl could be gone for a month at world juniors.

Sttop
11-09-2013, 10:06 PM
I agree and I think it should be a 19 year old sent. I remember the start of the season when all we could really pick out was Big Mac that wasent playing well. IMO the big 5 19 year old forwards have been the biggest let down so far. Conroy , Perreaux , Braid , Winther and Danyluk . I understand Danyluk is mainly used in a defensive role , but I still think that his line should be able to carry the play in the offensive zone and put up some points. Winther was supposed to be the winger that scored the goals for the team and to date has 1 goal. Braid and Perreaux have the size and strength to dominate the game down low but haven't put it together yet. Until Bruno realizes he needs to go get some help filling the net they might as well let Gennerro play 1st line. At least he will drive the net.

puckdad
11-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I was ssurprised at the lack of production by the 5 players you mentioned - especially over the last 10 - 12 games.

Perreaux - 2 assists in the last 10 games - since getting a hat trick against his home town team, Brandon, and an empty netter the next night, his production has nose-dived. Not only is he not scoring, he's not generating any chances.

Conroy - 2G/2A in the last 10 games, even though playing with Leon on the top line. Maybe we need the old fat, doughy Conroy from last year back. At least he could put the puck in the net.

Winther - 1 G/7A - Has only played a total of 10 games this year. Scoring slump from last year has continued into the current year. He has shown the ability to score in bunches, but does not seem to be getting the scoring chances he has had in the past.

Danyluk - 1 goal in the last 17 games. Combined lack of scoring threat with a last among the forward's +/- of -10. I love his tenacity & hard work, but something's missing here.

Braid - 3A in 21 games. Somehow is back on the top line with Leon. He's as tough as nails, but really, is he 1st line material? Those fists of stone are also hands of stone, and an anchor that drags down the whole line.

I'm really concerned that, out of our top 5 scorers, 2 are defense-men. We need some of these forwards to really pick up their games.

BillyBean
11-10-2013, 12:19 AM
As I have said before - history has a funny way of repeating itself when the system and message don't change. It's either the system, the way it's taught, the players or a combination of both. Ice time or lack thereof is the way to a players heart but the staff need to be accountable too. If CC is here to stay then they need to restructure the D to match the system and develop the future and they need 1-2 more key F's to put puck in the net. It's gonna be a frustrating season otherwise.

Sabes
11-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Sure wish the Pens would smarten up and send Ruopp back

Sttop
11-10-2013, 02:49 PM
still 0 gp this year. is he still hurt?

BillyBean
11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
He is recovering from injury. Skating with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins after practice for last few weeks. Uncertain whether lower or upper body. Very unlikely that he will be coming back.

Jesse Zgraggen (who the Pats gave up a 4th round pick in 2014) has 1G 3A and is +5 in 3 games since being picked up by Regina. Mackenzie Johnston (who the Raiders gave up a 3rd round pick in 2014) has 1G 3A and is -14 in 16 games since being picked up by Raiders. Dylan Busenius has 5G 4A and is -9 in 21 games. Tomas Andrlik has 0G 4A and is -3 in 20 games played. Brendan Guhle has 0G 2A and is -1 in 20 games played. Josh Morrissey has 8G 14A and is +6 in 18 games played. Sawyer Lange has 2G 13A and is +5 in 21 games played.

Our 2 20 year old D man have a combined -23 between the 2 of them. When you add in Guhle and Andrlik - those 4 D have a combined -27 rating. Morrissey and Lange play as partners together and are +11. Might be time to change the pairings on D to balance out the damage.

In retrospect, I would have traded (maybe the Pats are still willing dance partners) or released Johnston or Busenius to bring in Zgraggen. As well, i would pick up Boston Leier for Leon. The longer we wait the higher the cost.

Sttop
11-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Leier would have been the smart pick up from the start. He would create space for Leon and works hard every game. Not to mention he isn't afraid to back a team mate up. Johnstone has to go though. Before the 3rd round pick kicks in. I would also think Mcbride will be getting more starts in the future. With a save % of.926 and GAA of 2.96 his #s are not even comparable to Chevys. And he hasent been protected by playing weak teams either. If anything it seems to be the opposite. On another side note Rylan Parentau who is playing With the worst team in the SJHL has played all games but 2 and is posting a pretty incredible .925 save % and 2.92 gaa. I would suggest that it is possible that our 3 combined 20s may be the weakest in the league.

sbtatter
11-11-2013, 07:44 PM
I would suggest that it is possible that our 3 combined 20s may be the weakest in the league.

They can't be worse than Meilleur, Robinson and Hunter!!!!!

Sttop
11-11-2013, 08:06 PM
They can't be worse than Meilleur, Robinson and Hunter!!!!!

Hunter ..17gp 10 pts plus 2 with 5 fights
Robinson 21 gp 9 pts -6
meuiller 21gp 7 pts -1

but Robinson and Meuiller have usually been on the checking line against top lines I think. Hunters #s are much better then Busenius' . Johnstons #s are 4pts in 16 games and a minus 14 since being a Raider. I cant find anyone even close to those #s as a overager. And Chevy has not came as advertised. Definitly not consistently anyways.

sbtatter
11-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Hunter ..17gp 10 pts plus 2 with 5 fights
Robinson 21 gp 9 pts -6
meuiller 21gp 7 pts -1

but Robinson and Meuiller have usually been on the checking line against top lines I think. Hunters #s are much better then Busenius' . Johnstons #s are 4pts in 16 games and a minus 14 since being a Raider. I cant find anyone even close to those #s as a overager. And Chevy has not came as advertised. Definitly not consistently anyways.

Hmm, as a WK ST holder I'd say our 2 overage forwards should be playing in the MJHL, not the WHL.....

Sttop
11-11-2013, 10:03 PM
I would agree with that. but that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade overagers with you. haha

sbtatter
11-11-2013, 10:06 PM
I would agree with that. but that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade overagers with you. haha

Fair enough!

Dwight Schrute
11-11-2013, 10:21 PM
. On another side note Rylan Parentau who is playing With the worst team in the SJHL has played all games but 2 and is posting a pretty incredible .925 save % and 2.92 gaa. I would suggest that it is possible that our 3 combined 20s may be the weakest in the league.

Hmmm maybe we could call up parenteau and trade Chevy for a first round pick......:p

Sttop
11-12-2013, 06:51 AM
Sadly we wouldn't get a 3rd round pick for him (if anything at all) what a brutal trade

mill rat
11-13-2013, 02:39 AM
Sadly we wouldn't get a 3rd round pick for him (if anything at all) what a brutal trade
i think that's almost what everyone said when the trade first happened. It still confounds me that the Raiders gave up a 1st rounder from this year for a 20 year old goaltender. And with the way he's played has made this trade stink ever more.

Sttop
11-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Yes ,and McBride showed he should start again next game

puckdad
11-13-2013, 01:04 PM
McBride played a solid game, with the only GA being a PP Point shot that was deflected between his legs.
Probably the best defensive team game I've seen the Raiders play at the AHC this year. After giving up a number of odd-man rushes during the 1st period, they settled down & played solid defense the rest of the way & capitalized on their own scoring opportunities to result in a comfortable win.

Top defensive pair of Lange/Marrissey playing a shut-down role on the Blade's high-scoring 1st line was impressive. It's unusual that 2 offensive-minded d-men are used as a shut-down pair against the opposition's top lines game after game, but they seem to have some good chemistry and move the puck out of the zone so efficiently, that it really limits their opponent's scoring chances.

Mackenzie Johnston probably had his best game as a Raider, playing solid defense and contributing offensively with an assist and +2.

Some of the underachieving forwards we have been dissing in this forum of late came ready to play. Conroy, Winther, Danyluk, and Braid all had points last night.

Everyone on the team had at least one plus last night, with all 4 lines scoring on 5-on-5 play.

Hopefully they use this game as a blueprint for future games and put together a nice winning streak.

BillyBean
11-14-2013, 11:08 AM
In the stands at the rink there appears to be the impression from Raiders nation that the current Raiders under CC are doing much better than last year under SY.

Last year the Raiders were 16-5-1-0 with 69 goals for and 60 goals against up until November 16th. This year the Raiders are 12-8-2-0 with 76 goals for and 72 goals against.

Now to be fair, SY did have half of the 2011-2012 season to implement his systems prior to the 2012-2013 season whereas CC has only had 2.5 months. The roster has changed since last year (most noteable Ruopp) but is essentially the same.

So I ask the questions: " Is the impression true? Are the Raiders a better team now than they were last year?"; "Are they better defensively under the new defensive systems?"; "Do they have the potential to perform better than last years team with the current roster?"

Sttop
11-14-2013, 01:10 PM
I think they will have a more consistent season this year. But will not climb the standings without a impact forward and dman

Dwight Schrute
11-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I think they will have a more consistent season this year. But will not climb the standings without a impact forward and dman

You mean the type of player you would trade a first round pick for ?

Sttop
11-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Yup. But u got to give something to win a couple rounds. I would be after fioretti In mj . drop johnston . then replace Johnston's spot with either nikkell or Walters. Then would pursue pilon. Be a very solid back end and fioretti would light it up with Leon. Morrissey,Lange ,busenius ,pilon , nikkel, and adrlik is a competitive back end. I would dangle guhle as part of a deal for pilon.

Sttop
11-16-2013, 10:32 AM
A real solid team game last night. On a intermission interview Bruno said he was looking for a vet dman and forward ,which is good news.

Landon
11-22-2013, 04:07 PM
A real solid team game last night. On a intermission interview Bruno said he was looking for a vet dman and forward ,which is good news.

I am wondering when Bruno is planning to do this 2015? The Raiders play has improved lately but far from a playoff contender. Its time to pull the trigger and get two wingers that can play with Draisaitll and a top defenceman. Braid at best is a third line grinder not a first line player. How many more times is Morrissey and Draisaitll going to get run through the boards before Braid realizes he needs to step up and protect those players. I cringe as a fan when I watch Morrissey and Draisaitll getting targeted every shift hoping they don't get injured. CC was supposed to come in here and make every player accountable and better. Mike Winther has been a no show since training camp and continues to be in the lineup.
The most exciting line has been Gennaros. They are exciting and fun to watch. They play like they want to be here.

RandyJackson
11-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Anyone happen to catch the game last night and can explain to me what the hell happened in the first period? (Besides another one of our "star" goaltender's great starts) It seems likes we got our **** together after the shelling we took in the first period, but a five goal deficit is pretty difficult to overcome considering our underachieving offense as of late.

Sttop
11-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Paulic was much better then Chevy last night . I guess the good news for us is it is our players under 19 that have been our best players. Other then Hart and Lange the 19s and 20s have been poor. Busenius has been alright .but we have to loose Johnston before that 3rd round pick comes into play .and Chevy should have been traded for tj constant instead of one of the best prosepects in the league. His #s are awful considering he's on a decent team

AAAScout
12-01-2013, 09:55 PM
rumour has it they tried for TJ Constant, but they couldn't find a helmet big enough,lmao!!

Sttop
12-11-2013, 09:42 PM
I just seen that Constant actually got traded to Melville tonight. Watching the game tonight and can not believe that they have not went out and found a winger to play with Leon. 50 points for him and 8 for Braid ??? how is that even possible ? 4 things need to change for this team to turn it around.
1) obviously go find a winger for Leon
2) find a way to get these 19 year old forwards going, they should have been a strength this year and with the exception of Conroy have had awful years. 6 goals total from Winther, Danyluk and Braid.
3) improve 20 year olds. With the possible exception of Busenius who has been just ok.
4) Improve the starting goaltending . Chevy has been a bust . He ranks 24th out of 32 goalies in the league in GAA. and 30th out of 32 goalies in save % . Whats worse is he is badly being outplayed by rookie goalie Mcbride. I am not saying Mcbride is ready to carry the load . But between him and Parentau they would be better off. In Weyburn Parentau is playing with the worst team in the SJHL and has a .933 save % and 2.60 gaa

Landon
12-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Raiders are sitting in 5th spot in conference tied with 6th Regina, 7th Brandon and 8th Kootenay with all having 36 points. Raiders are now losing their two top players Morrisey and Draisaitll to World Juniors. Gennaro, Guhle and McBride are leaving for tournament and injured are Gardiner and Winther. Bruno needs to pull the trigger and get some reinforcements for this team to be successful. Its disappointing going to watch games and your first line is playing shorthanded with Braid on the wing. Raider brass has to re-evaluate the top line. This is a huge year for Draisaitll so go get him a winger that can support him and create the room he needs. Goaltending has been a nightmare along with the defence except for Morrisey.
I thought CC was a defensive first coach? I haven't seen that yet with the defence the raiders have.
It should be interesting the next month or so to see what happens in the standings. If Bruno doesn't start making some deals--- as a fan I can honestly say good-bye to playoffs.

patsdude114
12-12-2013, 12:11 PM
There was a lot of eyebrows raised when the Raiders traded Jake Kryski for Cole Cheveldave. I thought I read somewhere that Kryski said he wouldn't report to PA which may or may not of been true but my biggest question to that trade was... why on earth would you trade him for a 20yr old goaltender who has always been just avg at best. His numbers were inflated last year due to a strong team infront of him by no means was he ever considered an elite goalie in this league.

Anyways the Raiders have a strong team there but it just seems so hit and miss on which team is actually going to show up. I for 1 have always thought Winther was a spoiled piece of crap. He will never play pro hockey, CIS is his route but he may think he is too good for CIS and not even take the schooling the WHL will offer to him. I truly believe that if the Raiders could move Winther the team would be much better off, but with him underachieving and a hot head I doubt anyone would even consider taking him off the Raiders hands.

Sttop
12-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Of course teams would take a chance on a NHL 2nd round pick. A change of scenery is all he may need. It also wouldn't hurt to try him on draisaitl line

nohockey
12-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Raiders are 12-5-1 with winther in lineup 5-8-1 with him out. so your right it is winther's falt for being injured and suspended and raiders losing. and playing second and third line minutes with very little pp and pk is your definition of spoiled?

witness
12-13-2013, 08:40 AM
Just an outside perspective. I have watched Winther play against the Pats and if I was a Raider fan, he would drive me nuts. He will play well, maybe score a goal, and then take a momentum sucking stupid penality. It is one step forward and two back.
He has some talent, no doubt. It is those stupid, selfish penalities that are team killers.

salohcin
12-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Raiders are sitting in 5th spot in conference tied with 6th Regina, 7th Brandon and 8th Kootenay with all having 36 points. Raiders are now losing their two top players Morrisey and Draisaitll to World Juniors. Gennaro, Guhle and McBride are leaving for tournament and injured are Gardiner and Winther. Bruno needs to pull the trigger and get some reinforcements for this team to be successful. Its disappointing going to watch games and your first line is playing shorthanded with Braid on the wing. Raider brass has to re-evaluate the top line. This is a huge year for Draisaitll so go get him a winger that can support him and create the room he needs. Goaltending has been a nightmare along with the defence except for Morrisey.
I thought CC was a defensive first coach? I haven't seen that yet with the defence the raiders have.
It should be interesting the next month or so to see what happens in the standings. If Bruno doesn't start making some deals--- as a fan I can honestly say good-bye to playoffs.

They should have tried to get Todd Fiddler!

Sttop
12-14-2013, 08:09 PM
We already have a Fiddler type in Conroy imo. We need someone with Speed and the ability to put the puck away.

puckdad
12-18-2013, 10:57 AM
In 35 Games this season, the Raiders have been behind & pulled their goalie in 14 games. That's probably more times than the entire few seasons combined.
In those 14 times:
They have scored to tie the game three times, going on to win in OT twice.
They have had empty net goals scored on them 5 times.
They have not scored with the extra attacker and have not been scored on 5 times.
In a bizarre twist last night, they had both an empty net goal scored on them and scored with the extra man, but went on to lose the game.
Cory Clouston was brought in to win these one goal games. So far, it has not paid off. Even worse is the goaltender going to the bench when the coach calls him, rather than reading the play and staying in net when the Raiders do not have clear possession.

shop2
12-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Is the record they need to finish the same as last year. That includes a US road trip in a division where every team has more points then PA the first round draft pick given for Chevy should encourage Bruno to commit Hari kari or do the honourable thing and apologize and resign. As far as Clouston, McCrimmon showed why he is a hockey guy and canned this clown before he could do more damage. Steve Young took a less talented team and overachieved Clownston took a far more talented team and dragged it towards the basement. Sickening to watch a talented team being handcuffed by a control freak. With losses to lethbridge Moose Jaw kamloops ect(last 7)and playing a home and home against stoon after Christmas if they lose again turn the reigns over to Leonard He is at least a proven winner. I hear the Ice Hawks have a hot goalie. Maybe Bruno wants to pick him up....at least he won't cost a first rounder

Landon
12-19-2013, 11:35 AM
If playoffs were to start today the Raiders being in 9th spot would be out.

Raider brass better be wishing for Christmas:
Someone to play with Draisaitll on 1st line.
secondary scoring is an asset and their isn't any.
TOTAL OVERHAUL ON DEFENCE except for Morrissey. Raiders need to find a player that can play with Morrissey, Lange isn't the answer.
Call the WHL office and see if they would allow a shooter tooter to be placed in net.
Its time to pull the trigger Bruno, Raiders have 7- 19 year olds on the roster and 5 of them are underachieving and 3- 20 year olds that are underachieving.
Raiders have looked terrible and as a fan its not enjoyable going to watch them. Raiders have 6 regular players out of the lineup after Christmas so things just might get more disappointing:
-Morrissey
-Draisaitll
-Guhle
-Gennaro
-Mcbride
-Winther
are all out of the lineup after Christmas.

puckdad
12-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Interesting
So, they should get rid of everyone on defence but 1st round NHL Draft Picks.