PDA

View Full Version : Giants 0 TBirds 6 - Sept 25, 2013

dondo
09-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Sure take the loss, but don't allow easy goals - the TBirds were handed tallies on a platter

T-Birds Bury Giants
Vancouver 0 Seattle 6

A pretty sad outing to be broadcast on Shaw.

The Giants were hoping to take the momentum they gained in Victoria back home and get their first home victory of the season, but they barely even showed up let alone competed. According to Hay they had a good week of practice, but their practice evidently did not translate to game worthy. It was actually a bad night for all of the home teams in dub tonight as all three road teams scored 6 goals with The Royals being the only team to avoid the blank, getting a single goal in their home tilt. Road Teams 18 - Home Teams 1, very odd. That said the Giants squandered most every opportunity and lacked any sort of compete at the Coliseum tonight. The bigger Seattle players were able to muscle most every Giant off of the puck as the home town kids did not use their speed to cancel out the size differential. Lots of individual efforts for naught as the G’s gifted a shut-out to a 17 yr old rookie goalie.

The Giants dodged a bullet early as Payton Lee dived across the net snagging a puck on the goal line, which resulted in a goal being called back upon review. The T-Birds managed to get one behind Lee by the end of the first period; a rocket short-side. The Giants looked ineffectual, but managing in the opening frame, but blew up badly in the second leaving loose pucks and players on the doorstep. Lee left a few juicy rebounds out front, but got no help on the back-check as his boys stood around and watched the Seattle players glide onto loose pucks and easily flip them past him. The G’s had a terrible time breaking out of their own zone as they did not seem to even understand the concept of puck support. They lacked hustle, lost most puck battles and allowed themselves to be meekly worked off of pucks they should have had. They never really made it tough for the Seattle ‘tender, who was good but not great and left a few juicy rebounds himself, but the difference was that the Thunderbirds were good at boxing out and clearing loose pucks from the front of their net painfully easily. The T-Birds scored four goals in the second, chasing Lee from the net on their fourth and scoring their fifth on Jared Rathjen off of the first shot with a juicy rebound to the open side. They added one more in the third, wheeling and firing a blind shot from the corner that slipped past Rathjen. Two awful goals allowed by the former Victoria Royal netminder when the team needed something to build upon. 17 yr old goaltender Danny Mumaugh garnered his first WHL shut-out.

Team Notes: Mason Geertson was in the concourse nursing a shoulder injury and signing autographs. Beside him was Dmitry Osipov signing autographs between periods as well. No word on whether Osipov was a healthy scratch, but considering the level of shoddy defensive work tonight he couldn’t have been any more of a liability and is bigger than a lot of our D-men especially against a big team like Seattle. Dalton Sward and Rob Trzonkowski left the game in the first with injuries. Scott Cooke, Luca Leone and Travis McEvoy (a player they really could have used tonight) continue to be day to day and more. The Giants are going to have a tough time icing enough forwards for Friday’s tilt versus the Tips. They might have to move a couple of D-men into forward slots. Players like Zalitach and Atwal come to mind.

Rookie Watch: Ty Ronning had some jump tonight, but like the other smaller forwards on the Giants had a tough time getting through the redwood traffic and lacked support from his line-mates. Andreas Eder is fast and skilled, but incredibly soft. He did more fly-bys on hits than a seagull attempting to steal Granville Island patron food. I need to see him use his size to better advantage and at the very least to box out and protect the puck, but he couldn’t even do that. Alec Baer, was another undersized player who could not find his way through traffic. Jake Kohlhauser was soft on the puck and did not use his size well either. He ended up a –2 on the night.

Fight Night: Branden Trook v Blake Orban – Orban grabbed a Seattle player from behind around the head and then was taken to task by Trook up against the boards. Orban took the worst of the fight. Orban was given 5 for fighting and 2 for roughing, while Trook got 2 for instigating and 5 for fighting.

Zebra Cage: Jeff Ingram and Fraser Lawrence, called a lot, but none of it seemed unreasonable and was mostly consistent. The linesmen however were pretty poor with questionable off-sides and very late whistles.

The Giants were out shot 39-31, with the Giants getting more shots in garbage time than during the moments where they might have gained some momentum. They went 0 for 7 on the PP, while the T-Birds were 1 for 4. The Giants badly squandered their man-advantage opportunities and out and out wasted a short 5 on 3 chance by over-passing and getting way too cute with the puck. The boys suffered from over-complicating their game, making extra passes into traffic and failing to play the simple shot and crash game they should be adopting, especially versus a young netminder.

The Giants got caught at times trying to do too much individually. It might be a home ice effect needing to shine and be seen, but in the end it backfired. They lacked puck support, were not able to break out of their zone with momentum and were easily stripped of the biscuit.

I liked Tim Traber’s game early as he made a few nice moves with the puck and was one of the few finishing his checks. I felt he vanished a bit in the second, but came back well in the third. Carter Popoff carried a big minus tonight getting caught trying to make pretty plays and coughing up the puck. However, he and Anthony Ast were two of the few players actually going to the net with the puck. Cain Franson was simply invisible. Jackson Houck also carried big minuses and although he had some forays, he was far too sloppy. Dalton Sward was hitting in the first before leaving the ice with an unknown injury. I had hopes for Trzonkowski being an impact player in this tilt before seeing him skate off the ice with a limp.

I have to vent about something that has been bugging me. I think a third round pick for Joel Hamilton from Red Deer was a massive waste. He’s been a minus in every game so far and I can see why. He’s a cherry-picking kind of player who does not back-check. I see him as this year’s Greg Lamoureux, a player I despised and someone I was surprised to see stay on the team or be given the kinds of chances other far more worthy players deserved. Hamilton strikes me as a player that has skills, but isn’t willing to pay the price. Maybe he’ll change my mind, but watching him float through this game does not make me hopeful.

Our defense were soft and porous and spent far too much time waving their sticks at opposing players instead of boxing out, running them down and taking the body. I was pleased to see some smart safe plays up the boards, but then I’d see long cross-ice passes which were just begging to be picked off. This was especially apparent during PPs. I was also happy not to see the passive neutral zone trap, but I suspect that is more from not having the time to set it up than a real change in coaching strategy. We have all of these offensive defensemen who seem happier passing than actually taking a shot. On the PP, we have got to start putting pucks on net from the point, if they are blocking the slapper then a well-placed wrist shot can, at the very least, create havoc around the net.

Not too many positives tonight as the Giants left their goaltenders high and dry, did not hustle back on the back-check in numbers and were not maintaining puck possession whether it was along the boards or open ice. I thought the boys played soft going in for hits, turning their backs to the play far too frequently and consistently getting beat and out-manoeuvred by hungrier players. Not one of our skill players were able to look dangerous tonight and although Mumaugh had to make a few great stops, they were few and far between. I suspect that having a short bench due to injury took its toll in the third period.

The Giants have a day to give their heads a collective shake and figure out the kind of team they want to be and the kind of game they want to play before taking on the much improved Everett Silvertips on Friday. The Tips have Kevin Constantine back behind the bench, so expect stifling trap hockey and the need to battle through obstruction to get to the net. The puck drops at the Coliseum on Friday at 7:30pm.

Three Stars

1. Alexander Delnov
2. Connor Honey
3. Danny Mumaugh

Dondos Doghouse: It might be full to bursting tonight, but I have to say that Joel Hamilton’s game frustrated me the most. I did not see him back-checking and he frequently made dumb passes into traffic. If he was a 17 yr old I might be giving him more of a benefit of the doubt, but for a 19 yr old player to play that kind of game is unacceptable at this level. Maybe he has some offensive chops, but I have yet to see it and for now he’s a liability not an asset. Franson and Houck both have to do more, they are much better than they showed tonight.

Dondo’s Hardhat: I felt Tim Traber battled the hardest tonight. In the first he had some great offensive forays, he maintained puck possession better than most and actually looked dangerous at times. Honourable mention to Ty Ronning who really was too small for this particular game, but ended up being the only player who played the whole game who was not carrying a minus.

Giantsfan
09-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Should have stayed home & watched Survivor!

Just a few points

Absolutely terrible game. One of the worst games in recent memory. Dead crowd all game & no reason not to be. I don't care what was announced as attendance. Maybe 3000 at best.

Sward, concussion, Trzonkowski shoulder injury, possibly separated.

Osipov was a healthy scratch but I'd be surprised if he's here after Xmas as Hay doesn't like him at all.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Bonner is looking for a 19 yr old goaltender because it's been subpar at best.

I thought Hamilton was one of the better players in camp & in the preseason but he hasn't done much at all so far.

Again, pp sucks, pk decent but not great. Giants looked like smurfs again tonight. I expect to see some players pissed off instead they look uninterested.

Time for a coaching change. I said it was going to happen at the end of the year, it didn't but Hay's style is too old school & hasn't worked in years. Time for a fresh young face with new ideas.

johnnyradiant
09-26-2013, 06:42 AM
Shoulda stayed home and not done anything.

The fans and management hoped the Giants would take the momentem from the Victoria win.

New idea from coach - skate don't stand around and watch them score or put one on the goalie.

They looked the worst when Seattle played their size and a new coach isn't gonna have much more success against that with this smaller green lot. A new batch from a different scouting philosophy might.

They couldn't even muster any grit to show they were at least ashamed of the score and wanted a little something but instead they rolled over. I guess the weekend road trip was too much.

I thought with first pick we coulda gotten a Euro that coulda logged some minutes on a regular basis every game. What gives? Is he really that green to our game?

I thought they had a few good pk shifts tonight - they just came with 5 guys on instead of the usual 4 guys.

This game made a lot of last season games look a lot better. Somebody in their construction office musta made a mistake with the blueprints.

A 19yr old goalie isn't gonna generate any more outa the defense than any other goalie.

Houck and Franson need to get rolling. If we are not a scoring threat to the other team then they get the privilege of playing their game on their terms. We need Giant hockey. Our first season wasn't much on the score sheet but atleast we never were lulled to sleep by the first teams uneagerness. They played Giant hockey. Something that hasn't happened in a few years and it looks like more to come.

Any chance of renegotiating the road trio into a couple months?

Knuckles Muldoon
09-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Unbelievably bad.
Just a bunch of passengers.
Houck has that 'I'm drafted...I'm good' look about him now. The same thing I saw from Kulak after he was drafted.
Zalitach is a mess out there. Looks like he's never played D before.
Foster is a big disappointment. He's supposed to be a good player, but I'm not seeing it at all.
Eder is soft. He has some potential, but if he doesn't adapt to the physical part of the game, he will go the way of so many Euros of the past.
Traber isn't bringing much.
Franson, Sward, Ronning and Baer are at least trying to do something, but accomplishing nothing.
The team sorely lacks leadership. We need to get Thrower back to have at least one example of a take-charge guy. I can't imagine how bad things are going to get if he doesn't show up.
The D is horrendous. Cannot imagine a softer group. Nobody touches an opposing player in from of the net. In 2 home games, virtually all the goals have come from guys just standing there waiting to put a lose puck in. Nobody is getting kncoked on their can. It is embarrassing. Kulak is a nightmare. Zalitach looks terrible. The only guy playing with any grit back there is Orban.
I would have thought it impossible for a Hay-coached team to look as unprepared to compete, but I've now seen it. You have to wonder if Don has lost his ability to get players to play. When things get as bad as they were last night, there's no question that cannot legitimately be asked.
I'll try one more game on Friday, but if I don't see something...I might be done for a long time.
And why wouldn't the Giants NOT have Benson in the lineup Friday? POE doesn't play for another 3 weeks, so the door is open for him to dress. The team should do something to get some excitement going, to give the declining fan base something to grasp onto. Bring Tyler in for Friday.

johnnyradiant
09-26-2013, 02:05 PM
Upon further reflection the absolute worst part of the game last night - all those empty seats and mine was not one of them.

I'd rather see Benson use some of his limited ice time at a time when it doesn't feel like a complete lost cause. They are more than one scoring forward away from a turnaround at this point. If everyone plays like they didn't last night then maybe but I don't think they are good enough to play completely opposite yet. Let them stabilize a little more first.

Giantsfan
09-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Bringing in Benson to this train wreck will do nothing but hurt his development.

Last night was as bad as it gets.

Knuckles Muldoon
09-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Bringing in Benson to this train wreck will do nothing but hurt his development.
I hear what you're saying, but one game now isn't going to harm him at all.

Last night was as bad as it gets.
Agreed.

Priceisright
09-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Haha glad everyone saw the game as I did. They looked so small and looked dis-organized. Swinging and slapping around.

I thought we would be similar to last year, perhaps a tad better.

Pretty damm boring if u ask me.

Defense is horrendous. Goaltending shakey.

See what happens going forward?

johnnyradiant
09-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Yes every one saw the same event as you except for the game. Some would not be quite as brazen to title it a game.

But yesterday's trade is gonna fix everything. We are now set.

Sending two in my stead tonight and am hoping for a different team when they return.

Priceisright
09-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Trade?

Priceisright
09-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Trade?

Oh I saw that on whl.ca website.

I guess its because we have depth at defense. :p

Hockeyak
09-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Well, 3 games into the season and so many fans are already 'baling' on a team of 16 to 20 year olds - sad, really.

Just a few of my thoughts to share:

- I do not begrudge Seattle some long awaited success; how many times has Seattle been the 'whipping boy' (so to speak) in their Division/Conference?
- Giving up on the coach because the team isn't playing GIANT hockey - well, developing a team of young newbies right off the bat just doesn't happen very often. We've got players who have just returned from NHL camps, players who have never played in Canada before, players who have never played in the Dub before and players who are new to this team plus a number of injuries. The team was primarily formed through training camp and the exhibition games and we have excess players on the roster even now. It's just gonna take time for this group to practice, bond and get better.:smash:
- I think Don needs time to get healthy bodies, work these guys through his hard practices and determine if he has the right kind of players. I like the fact the Giants have added Matt Erhart who looks like he can bring the 'young' coaching element to the team. I also think Bonner needs to assess what he has, what we need and how he's going to improve this club. Osipov might have been a mistake - have you seen him being selected in the KHL draft? - but could he have trade value???:turkey:
- From what I have read, we are not trying to peak for the 2013-14 season; isn't it the 2015-16 season (not sure)? Anyways, peaks and valleys are all part of Jr Hockey, aren't they???
- Kudos to Toigo and the ownership for keeping ticket prices reasonable, having good game promotions, having the Pacific Coliseum for the team, maintaining decent attendance during the losing cycle but the beer prices could be better:bevvy:

Thanks for reading this post, whether you agree or not. Hopefully, you're still a GIANT fan and will keep up your support.:clap:

dondo
09-28-2013, 01:38 AM
Hockeyak we are all still Giants fans that's why we are here and why we are so pissed off and disappointed, but we are also informed and aware fans who know that what we are getting has little to do with young players or players back from camps.

Sadly it is much more fundamental than that. This game was probably the worst game I have ever seen a Giants team play, in every single aspect. No hitting, no skating, no checking, wasted shots and then passes when they needed to shoot and more missed passes than an old homeless man at ladies night.

Tonight was marginally better, but Hay does not seem to have these player's ears anymore.

I realize Lee will have a tough time, but getting a 19 year old to repeat the process we have had with goalies as of late would be a major mistake. Lee does have the skill to elevate his game, but he needs a lot of rope and a lot of leeway before he loses the starting gig. Having players who back-check and defensemen who clear the front of the freaking net would be a start.

Also you know your comments are always welcome here and I do understand it is early in the season, but I for one am seeing disturbing patterns we have had for a few seasons now. It is most definitely not time to panic, but this upcoming road trip with teams who are ripe for picking will be telling.

So do we we get gel or shell from this current group? We'll see what returns to play here on the 18th.