PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 Silvertips 4 - Sept 28, 2013

dondo
09-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Better effort tonight, but how could it not be...

Tips Topple Giants
Vancouver 1 Everett 4

The good news is the Giants played a hell of a lot better than they did on Wednesday, which could arguably stated as the worst Giants hockey game I have ever witnessed. Even in the early days of the franchise at least we had fighting and hard, hard hits – when we didn’t have skill. Now with the rule changes and all of this hand-wringing over players not seeming to be interested in preserving their own health, so much that the league(s) feel they need to step in, the game is so watered down that lack-lustre efforts are practically unbearable to watch. The bad news is that they took another poor loss, failed to capitalise on many chances with and without the man-advantage and basically spent most of the game fumbling for pucks. I am frightened what will happen on their upcoming Eastern road swing. They could come out of it 0-6 or 1-5 and put themselves behind the eight ball for the season very early. I do not see this squad with it’s current skill and effort level winning several games in a row. I know we are destined for another growing (pains) season, but we also need to instil winning habits, effort and intensity now.

The Tips opened the scoring in the first period, a soft one slipping past Payton Lee. They added one in the second off of a horrific defensive breakdown, where the goal scorer was left wide open to receive a cross-ice pass right on the doorstep. Lee had no chance and the blame rests solely on his teammates who abandoned him completely, not unlike they did all night long on Wednesday. The Giants finally found twine on the power-play late in the second as Anthony Ast tipped an Arvin Atwal point shot past Daniel Cotton. Brett Kulak got the other assist. Jackson Houck missed a wide open net as the period was dwindling and it would cost them dearly. The Silvertips notched the insurance marker 20 seconds into the third with a quick snap shot and a badly controlled rebound . While on the PP the Giants lazily iced the puck late in the man-advantage and paid a heavy price. Off the face-off Everett whiffed a puck past what appeared to be a screened Lee. That was all for the game as the Giants were unable to respond and unable to hit the net even though they got some open looks.

Cain Franson got a few opportunities coming down the wing with a step or two on the defender and could not find twine. He needs to pick the corner on those shots. Defense was much better, but still more porous than I like to see. A better of job of boxing out in front of their net was evident, but they still allowed players to walk out from the boards and get quality shots. I think the book on Lee is to shoot low as the Tips seemed to be consciously firing the puck low stick side. The broadcasters were lauding Kulak’s effort, but neglected to note the –3 in his stats column. Houck looked more motivated tonight and was taking the body, but he was a –4 on the night, now with a whopping –9 in four games. Time for the boys to find the back of the net, sharpen up their passing and increase their level of battle. They were better, but still pretty poor.

Team Notes: Jake Kohlhauser was dealt to Victoria for a 2015 conditional pick. Tim Traber who was in my mind the best player on Wednesday was scratched tonight, no word on whether he’s damaged. Mason Geertson, Dalton Sward and Travis McEvoy were all injured scratches signing autographs between periods. Hay hopes to have all three back in Brandon a week from now as the Gs start their Eastern Division road swing. Reid Zalitach was playing up with the forwards.

Rookie Watch: 15 yr old defenseman Matt Barberis was in the line-up and in my mind was a waste of one of his five eligibility games as he had maybe four shifts. Dmitry Osipov continues to be marginalized. He was back in the line-up only to play deep depth minutes. He wasn’t great, but really - when you can’t be bothered to play your top euro pick and a player the KHL deemed worthy of first pick overall then something is terribly wrong. Frankly it’s pretty insulting as the players he is competing for minutes with are not much better than he is. He is bigger (something we lack) and needs to become accustomed to the Canadian game and the only way he does that is by playing, a lot. Ty Ronning again had some jump, but no finish. Andreas Eder has skills, some chances, but needs to commit and bear down when he has the puck. Defenseman Shaun Dosanjh played a bunch and had a few nice hits, but still needs to shore up his game.

Fight Night: Blake Orban v Reid Petryk – Orban seems to be the only one dropping the mitts early this season. Petryk is a 20 year old fighting to keep his job on a team with four over-agers. A quick bout, with Orban getting a quick knockdown.

Zebra Cage: Steve Papp and Mike Langin .. Papp was most definitely lead hand tonight and although a few of his calls seemed a bit precious to me, it was mostly even. Maybe I am mellowing or just that refs like Kirk and Rehman are no longer around, or that the game is simply less intense, but so far this season I find little official-wise that’s egregious. Gimme a dozen or so home games though and I might change my tune. I still am having a tough time with a lot of the linesmen who seem to be entirely arbitrary creatures blowing down whatever.

The Giants out shot the Tips 26-21. They missed the net a bunch and wasted some breakaway and semi-breakaway chances that could have turned the score in this one. The G’s went 1 for 5 on a PP that still suffers from a lack of cohesiveness. The Tips were 0 for 4, with a SH’d marker. I would have liked to see more shots, but the Silvertips were playing fairly solid D in their own end and when they got the insurance they were able to basically shut it down.

There were players I had high hopes for watching them in camp, but I have to say that very few of them have shown glimmers of what they can do. Is this coaching? Practice? or something completely different. Maybe it’s that the level of competition from other teams is quite a bit better than they encountered in camp. Lots of 17 year olds who have a chance to step it up and become contributors and need to. Not too fond of the line combos tonight. They seemed to be a mishmash of styles and strengths, but not in what I would call a complementary way. I understand that the line-up is decimated by injuries, but some of the combos left me shaking my head. Why are we playing Eder on what seems to be a third line, as opposed to being matched with skill players? Are we teaching him how to be a reliable plumber, instead of encouraging him to be the skilled power forward he has the potential to be? Why the hell is one of our most unreliable defensive players, someone who dropped below his own hash marks maybe three times in the game, playing on the PK?

The PP was also a mess, despite the goal, there was a plethora of sloppy play, missed passes and a complete failure to break into the zone and get set-up with any consistency. It’s been broken for a few seasons now and maybe it’s time to really change it up. I did appreciate that more shots seemed to be taken tonight (on Wednesday they din;t know what a shot on a PP looked like), but the traffic in front of the net is nonexistent and the passing over-indulgent.

The Giants have a week to get players healthy and back into the line-up and to address the lack of intensity and as Hay says, being hard on the puck. Too many passengers these past few games and I am fully aware we are very early in the season, but I am not currently seeing even the potential for progression and that worries me. When a team plays a game making passes consistently into one another’s feet and behind them then it’s up to the individuals to improve their focus.

A big Eastern division road trip could either gel the team or really damage what is already a very fragile group. They play like they are made of glass most of the time and seem to be unable to dig into that well of reserve to battle back. Wednesday’s game was a surrender from the opening drop of the puck, but there were still aspects of that same fragility which wended their way into tonight’s tilt and the third period was very indicative of letting things slide instead of finding some balls. Next game, next Friday in Brandon. Next home game not until October 18th.

Three Stars

1. Mirco Meuller
2. Manraj Hayer
3. Cain Franson

Dondo’s Doghouse: I am going to put Don Hay in the doghouse. I think there are problems he is in denial about. His obvious bias against euros players has hurt this squad in recent years and his tunnel-vision of the past few seasons means we only get one kind of player on the team. If they are skilled they must play only Hay’s way and if they don’t they are in Hay’s doghouse. I believe his blindspots are becoming more evident with each passing year and making our team one-dimensional and predictable. I hate saying this as I have been a Hay fan for many, many years, but the results on the ice and plummeting of PP and PK effectiveness have me questioning the coaching staff as a whole the past few seasons.

Dondo’s Hardhat: I am giving it to Carter Popoff, who was the most tenacious at both ends of the rink, paid the price blocking shots, had some offensive forays, but played the most complete game of all the Giants tonight.

Giantsfan
09-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Exactly, Dondo, how could the effort not be an improvement? That game vs the Thunderbirds was probably the worst game I've seen this team play since Hay's arrival.

Lee's play was decent, he didn't have any chance on all the goals except the one where he bobbled the puck. Other than that, many open net goals for the Tips. Nobody cleared the crease or picked up the open man all night long.

What is Don Hay thinking on the power play? How can this team's pp be so f*kin awful season after season after season!

I really want to see this team completely healthy. This team desperately needs some leadership & size on the backend. I'm not sure how long until Geertsen is back, but Trzonkowski is still 2 weeks away with a re-occuring shoulder separation. Traber had the flu & I'm not sure what is the deal with McEvoy. These guys,with the addition of Cooke are all big bodies, all guys who are harder on the puck than the lot the Gmen have at the moment. It seems like they are just waiting for Thrower to return to name him Captain.

The way that it's going, I don't expect the Gmen to win a game on the road trip. Maybe getting away from the Coliseum will be a blessing but if they go 0-6, changes will be made.

Andrej_The_Giant
09-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Haven't seen a game yet this season but have managed to catch some radio here and there and not been impressed obviously. I think it's finally time to pull the plug on Don Hay. If we struggle on this trip which is quite likely to happen, I'll be very disappointed if Hay is still behind the bench when we get back home.

scrunt
09-28-2013, 12:13 PM
I missed Wednesday's game, which turned out to be my good fortune, so I was watching last night's game from a different perspective than the poor souls who were there for the 6-0 trainwreck. I was still not impressed however.

The worrisome things for me all seem to relate more to the management and coaching than the players, though of course they are not blameless. But I seem to keep seeing the same problems, and I seem to keep harping on them, which is not a good thing.

I thought i saw a glimmer of hope last night when the Giants sent three forecheckers deep into Everett's zone in the third period, took the puck away, and almost got a good scoring chance. There I was thinking that maybe the strategy was to play a more aggressive forechecking style. Sadly, the coaches must have seen it as a failed experiment because the team reverted to a two-man in, and then a one-man in forecheck for the rest of the period.

And nothing has irritated me more than the usage -- or lack thereof -- of Osipov. This is a re-run of Don Hay's bias against Euros. I mean come on, Osipov is 17 and in a new country learing a new language and playing on a different sized ice surface. This is a rebuilding year, where we are expecting to live with young players' mistakes in the interests of improving the team over the long run. Osipov should be playing more minutes than anyone, not sitting on the bench or signing autographs in the concourse.

Three years ago I would have said that Don Hay deserves a job for life. I cannot say that anymore. I guess it was easier to live with his anti-Euro bias when the team was winning, but now it just seems like he's clinging to his old ways because that is the only way he knows, and cannot adapt.

:(

Giantsfan
09-28-2013, 02:13 PM
I think Eder has a lot of talent & looked great in the preseason playing alongside Tvrdon. Hay has been juggling the lines because of injuries & because he's trying to find a combo that can put the puck in.

Sadly, I thought Dosanjh was their most physical player last night. I thought Orban played physical at times & Kulak played pretty good. Unfortunately, there was little to no physical play from the forwards except a couple of hits by Houck. How he missed that open net is beyond me!:eek:

Anyone else noticed that Barberis had more shifts that Zalitach. It doesn't look good for his chances if a 15 yr old is getting more ice time.

Knuckles Muldoon
09-28-2013, 04:40 PM
A better effort last night in terms of skating and just plain making things more difficult for the opponent, so that can only be considered a major step up from the mess Wednesday against Seattle. The team worked effectively for 40 minutes and were right in the game. Everett seemed to have the Giants figured out by the third period, and were able to move the puck out of their zone much more easily that the first 2 periods. The guys grinding hard along the boards and were able to free some pucks up that allowed for more scoring chances from dangerous areas. Still some passengers, but a lot more guys bought in and showed something positive. Barberis looked lost, but he's a strong skater and looks to be a nice piece for the future.
No doubt the upcoming roadie looks ugly in terms of winning games, but at least they put forth an effort to build off of. Before last night they had nothing, so at least they have a bit of a blueprint to work from in terms of staying in games and hopefully get rewarded with some points.

Knuckles Muldoon
09-28-2013, 04:49 PM
I forgot...about the Osipov thing. Yes, it seems very unfair after 6 weeks and only a few games that Don has already pigeon-holed the kid. That's ridiculous, IMO. He must have some good things going for him, and it's bothersome that Don won't give the kid some leash so we can all see what he has. That cannot possibly help the situation. As long as Osipov is receptive to coaching, Don is fully obligated to work with him and play him. Again, this isn't going to be a winning year, so let's make sure the investment in the kids is given every chance to yield good players as we move forward. Having a negative knee-jerk reaction to a kid like Osipov doesn't do anyone any good. He needs time and direction....give it to him.

Priceisright
09-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Very strange this kid was picked 1st ? Overall in import draft and they hardly play him. A head scratcher. What a waste of a pick.

Giantsfan
09-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Great to hear Thrower is on his way back from Hamilton in time for the six game road trip. They can finally name a captain now.

Knuckles Muldoon
09-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Great to hear Thrower is on his way back from Hamilton in time for the six game road trip. They can finally name a captain now.
Good news. In a rebuilding situation, I'm not really about playing older guys, but this current group needs a leader BADLY. I wonder what this means for Osipov's icetime. Could be a real situation here now with that.

Lucic
09-29-2013, 11:16 AM
I wonder what this means for Osipov's icetime. Could be a real situation here now with that.

Definitely. His ice time (or lack there of) has already been handled poorly as it is, IMO. I fully expect a defenseman to be traded in exchange for a forward. The only question is which defenseman? I've heard Orban's name throw out there but he has been one of the better players for the Giants. Maybe that is the best time to move him while his value is high? I don't know.

It's nice to have Thrower back although I didn't doubt he would return so I'm not surprised at all. Good timing though right before the long road trip.

dondo
09-29-2013, 12:53 PM
to be honest I'd move Kulak - he'll garner the best return and he has some big holes in his game that the coaching staff are in denial about. Good to hear Thrower coming to the team, but his leadership in Saskatoon didn't help a stacked Blades team avoid being eliminated four straight in the opening round in a year they were hosting the Mem Cup. Just sayin'

Knuckles Muldoon
09-29-2013, 01:18 PM
to be honest I'd move Kulak - he'll garner the best return and he has some big holes in his game that the coaching staff are in denial about.

Yeah, I'd move Kulak too. Talented kid, but too many deficiencies and doesn't play with nearly enough fire. And again, he's probably a bigger return than Orban, Atwal, Morrison or Dosangh. Clearly somebody has to go.

Lucic
09-29-2013, 01:41 PM
I'd happily move Kulak as I've never been a fan of his (although I don't see that happening). The Giants really like him for whatever reason. Either way Bonner will have some decisions to make.

Giantsfan
09-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I like Kulak & Hay raved about him last game. The Giants could use all the offense he brings. They are looking at Morrison for being the heir apparent for when Kulak is gone. I could see them moving him because he could be in the AHL next season.

Giantsfan
09-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I'd move Kulak too. Talented kid, but too many deficiencies and doesn't play with nearly enough fire. And again, he's probably a bigger return than Orban, Atwal, Morrison or Dosangh. Clearly somebody has to go.

I wouldn't move Atwal. He has the potential to be a late first or second round pick in the NHL draft. I like his mean streak he played with in the preseason & I hope he continues to bring it in the regular season.

johnnyradiant
09-30-2013, 05:31 PM
I can't help but think that it has got to be more than a Hay won't play a euro if he doesn't have a gun to his head kinda thing. I can't see those above him just sitting Osipov due to him being a euro. Does that really make sense given he would play Tyvrdon and Eder? Osi has a documented history of being a little prissy with who he plays for, and I don't think Bonner would want to have wasted a 1st pick on a guy that sits just cause the coach thinks he is a euro. Yes they have high expectations but I think in past interviews Hay, Bonner and other assistant coaches have had a fairly realistic point of view about their euros.

I'm willing to give a bit of rope to hang myself and say that I think there is more to it than Osipov being in Hay's doghouse for more than is suggested in the tone of the comments so far.

If that is where Osipov is destined to play - 70% in the concourse, then Bonner should be working his network to deal with trying to get a piece that is more than that.

But with Thrower back I'm sure it is all moot because he is single handed going to solve all our woes. I sure hope he hasn't been over hyped.

Giantsfan
09-30-2013, 07:55 PM
I think Bonner is working the phones looking to pick up a forward who can hopefully put the puck in the net. The Giants have a glut of defenseman & a couple extra forwards once everyone is healthy (minus Stukel & Cooke).

Houck really has to get involved. He's a whopping minus 9 in four games with 0 points & 1 minor penalty. Not near good enough.

johnnyradiant
10-01-2013, 04:49 PM
I think Houck took the penalty just to get on a scoresheet with a number that can grow instead of diminsh.