PDA

View Full Version : Pats get Boston Leier from MH

patsdude114
10-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Pats Acquire Leier from Medicine Hat

Blue and White Acquire Boston Leier from Tigers

Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats Senior VP and General Manager Chad Lang announced today the team has completed a trade with the Medicine Hat Tigers to acquire 20-year old forward Boston Leier in exchange for a second round WHL Bantam Draft selection in 2016.

In four games this season, the Saskatoon, SK product has two goals. Last year, he tallied 52 points (18G, 34A) while playing in all 72 Regular Season games last season with Medicine Hat.

The 5’11”, 185 lbs left winger is just two games shy of reaching the 200 games played milestone in his fourth WHL Season. Leier also adds 30 games of playoff experience, totaling 12 points (6G, 6A) in those games.

The former 3rd Round WHL Bantam pick was invited to the Washington Capitals’ Training Camp this season before returning to the WHL.

With the acquisition of Leier, the Pats now have one over-age player slot remaining.

The Blue and White are in action Friday against the Broncos in Swift Current. The game can be heard on 620CKRM.com with the broadcast beginning at 6:35 p.m. from the Credit Union I-plex.

Daniel Fink

Director of Media and Communications

Regina Pats Hockey

patsdude114
10-02-2013, 07:04 PM
I like this trade, the 2nd rd pick isn't until 2016 & if things go as planned for the Pats we should have a pretty good team that year with the rebuild that Lang is going thru right now from building from the draft, so with any luck it would be a late 2nd round pick anyways.

He should add some much needed offense into the Pats lineup, looking forward to Sunday night even more now to watch him in blue & white

Bighat
10-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Looks like a good trade we get some more scoring punch, by the looks of the division we should be competitive. We will get that pick and maybe more at the trade deadline when we trade the stephensons.

patsdude114
10-02-2013, 07:11 PM
I know I said it earlier as well about the Pats will most likely move Stephenson come trade deadline but after seeing this trade in giving up a very high pick (even if its not until 2016) one would think Lang wants to make a push to be competitive and secure a spot between 5th & 7th....its still early lots can happen, not saying Leier is the only piece we need but he does make us a better hockey team today no questions about that.

Tiger Trauma
10-02-2013, 07:36 PM
I am surprised Regina made this move....A 2nd is a high price to pay for a 1 year player, moreso with the over-ager deadline just over a week away.

If they don't make the playoffs its a waste of a pick, like Lethbridge's last years acquisition of Rimmer, even though they are good players, it doesn't really make long term sense.

Leier has an impressive work ethic. He is not the flashiest of players but he is pretty quick and built pretty solid. He can be physical , and will get in the odd fight. I thought this year he could potentially be a point per game player. He only had 2 goals this year, but could have easily had 6-7 with the chances he has generated. I think you guys will like him.

RWAH
10-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Hate giving up a 2nd round pick for a one season player. He does bring some offence and experience but we are giving up a three or four year player. A pick is no guarantee of a player, but a 2nd round is over 50% sure.
On another matter i'm watching the game on Shaw and the rink in Swift is half empty.
They interviewed Paul ???? the new Stoon owner's son. He is going to make everyone forget Brent Parker. I'm sure Mulligan will not stay around if he need too put up with him.

patsdude114
10-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Hate giving up a 2nd round pick for a one season player. He does bring some offence and experience but we are giving up a three or four year player. A pick is no guarantee of a player, but a 2nd round is over 50% sure.

Like you said its no guarantee the pick will turn into anything just look at Dane Schioler for instance he can not crack the Pats lineup in 2 tries, also its a pick that is 2yrs away no need to worry about that pick anytime soon anyways.

If Leier helps us into the playoffs, think of this trade as a success cause that's what our roster needs most is playoff experience if these 18/17&16 year olds expect to get better

RWAH
10-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Agree a pick is a pick and no garrentee but I make two points First I think we improved our GM and scouting so if we use the history of a team that had better scouting than we did there are a lot less zeroes for 2nd round picks. Saskatton for ex. 2010 Ayrton Nikkel, 2009 Levi Blews, 2008 Dalton Thrower and Lucas Sutter, 2007 Josh Nicholls very competent players and all 2nd round picks. A 2nd rounder is still a top 44 overall pick.
I agree that playoff experience is valuable but in 2012 we traded a 1st and 2nd round pick for 5 games against Moose Jaw and that playoff experience was shared by only 5 players on our current roster. My point is IMO it is counter productive to trade picks (your future) to make it into 6th,7th, or 8th place and play 5 or 6 games. When was the last time a 7th place team made it to the WHL championship let alone the Memorial Cup.
One last point is Sam Steel and Luc Smith will need help and that will come from the drafted players in 2014, 2015, 2016
On the other side is we will likely get some draft picks back at the trade dead line

Sttop
10-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Everyone is expecting to sell at the deadline... But lang gives up a 2nd for a forward who hasn't been closer the 20 points from point per game and a rental. I guess my point is I think lang isn't showing the signs of selling

RWAH
10-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Sttop: I agree there is not a sign of selling. But again I hope we don't became buyers just to be a 7th or 8th place team. (2 home play off game and then the golf course)

patsdude114
10-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Everyone is expecting to sell at the deadline... But lang gives up a 2nd for a forward who hasn't been closer the 20 points from point per game and a rental. I guess my point is I think lang isn't showing the signs of selling

To be fair I don't think there is a GM in the league who would be in the selling mind frame 2 weeks into the season. They would be fired pretty quickly.

I think too many are questioning a trade for a pick that is 5yrs away from even being on the roster. I almost think that Leier wont become that popular with the fans (especially the fans on these blogs) just cause of what it 'costed' to get him

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
10-03-2013, 03:10 PM
This is certainly a move you have to make. People are beyond tired of sub par teams, including people within the organization. Lang overestimated Ouellette's ability to find that hot streak before he got injured, and he knew he made a mistake moving Mayor instead of Trent last deadline. Hence the price he pays for a 20. Lang elicited this trade, and thinks this kid can fill the role he felt Ouellette could/should have.

I hope this new player helps turns this team around...coming from a winning team with a winning attitude. It could be the right type of player to add, since we got top talents with Stephenson and Klimchuk(both prizes we "earned" from top 5 overall picks from our losing seasons) and yet we still struggle.

Fight Guy
10-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I really don't see what the issue is here. A couple of 20 year olds left the team and Lang is trying to restore some of that experience and leadership. So, he picked up, what I view as, an above average forward who could be a point-a-game player. From what I've read, it sounds like he has a better work ethic than Oulette and he brings more experience to the line-up. Also, it's only a rental player when it's close to or at the trade deadline. Leier will play a full season here. He will help the young guys out and show them how you have to play if you want to be successful ...and hopefully put some good points up himself. I definitely view this as an upgrade. The cost of this upgrade...

The 2nd rounder in 2016(three full seasons away) will be made up come trade deadline. Unless the Pats turn things around completely and end up in the top four in the conference by then, I will be extremely pissed off if some of the older assets are not traded for top quality youth and/or draft picks. Also, it's three full seasons away. A LOT can happen. I mean, the Pats season is what, five games deep???

I think a lot of people are stressing out way too hard. They have still barely played together, and didn't even play that bad in the first five games. Stressing over trading a higher pick that long from now isn't a huge gamble. You have to gamble from now and then, and with two drafts to come before then and plenty of good talent coming up, the Pats could already be back at the top by then. I'll start to worry more around 20 games in. ...or not.

patsdude114
10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I couldn't agree more with the last 2 posters, way to much looking into this 2nd rd pick 3yrs away.

Bepoleon
10-03-2013, 09:47 PM
I like this deal. I think some of us Pats fans are on edge, simply because we've given up soo quality round picks before and have been duped on the deals.

Sure we give up a second rounder but I'm positive we will get that pick back by 2016. Leier could help the Pats this season, and If they are sellers at deadline, I'm sure we'll get a nice return for him from teams looking to upgrade their 20 year olds for playoffs.

Welcome to the Pats Boston!

Shooter
10-03-2013, 10:01 PM
What is the Pats rebuild? They got youth that are not playing already and if the kids are not playing now..... what will it be like when the pressure for playoffs is on after the first 25 games? The game is simple but the rebuild is a strategic process. OVechin with 2 snipes tonight.

Shooter
10-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Pats Dude:
Don't blame the kid from from MH he has no control where he plays and was the odd man out for a contending tigers team at MH. I am sure he is disappointed he had to go east for sure right now but will take some serious ice time from someone in the Past lineup right now for sure. If the Pats can can 1 more line scoring they will compete well.
The new coach has a lot of pressure on him by the looks of it already!

witness
10-04-2013, 09:01 AM
It took me a while to digest the trade. A 2nd rounder is pretty high. But, PA gave up a 3rd rounder for a (in my opinion) lesser quality player.

The bottom line is that the Pats are a better team now than they were this time last week. Boston Leier is a quality kid and a real good hockey player.

Everyone keeps talking about a rebuild and the younger players, but you need to have older guys to show the young guys. There are only so much a coach can do, the rest falls on the vets. I think Leier is a perfect mentor for Brooks.

I would like to see a 2nd line of Maguire - Brooks - Leier.

I think Lang's plan is falling in place. There is not a need to be big sellers. But, they do need to pick up a few draft picks. With the play of Wagner and Zimmer and the acquisition of Leier, I think it is hard to justify holding onto guys like D'Amico, Christoffer and Samoridny.