PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the basement (REGvsSAS)

patsdude114
10-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Not looking forward to watching this game, only thing im looking forward to is watching some hockey live again. The Pats need a win desperately, fans have becoming less and less patient with this franchise lately. Early in the season there should be some excitement in the air with the fans but there isn't much of that lately.

We get a 1st look at Leier in a Pats jersey tonight so I guess that's something to get excited about. But with our ever growing hole between the pipes that sucks the life out of the team game in and game out it is hard to show excitement even to watch Leier. Oh wait fans get to see Stephenson for the 1st time in game action this year as well (trying to put some postives out there, can u tell?)

patsdude114
10-06-2013, 06:47 PM
1st shot & blades up 1-0 again, such a terrible goal as well, MacAuley is so far out of his league in the WHL midas well keep Trembley as a backup once Sacher gets back (if Lang hasn't upgraded by then). MacAuley has allowed what 5 or 6 real bad goals already this year which just deflates the bench.

Leier looks great though too bad we didn't have about 4 or 5 player like him, he will easily become a fan favorite just due to how he busts his arse each & every shift.

patsdude114
10-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Good to see MacAuley come around with a better effort, he needs to find that consistency from the drop of the puck. This 1 bad goal every game BS isn't going to keep him in the league all year if it continues.

Leier had a great game, as did Stephenson.....2 guys who have to be our top players night in & night out. Is it just me or is Sinitsyn a very lazy player? At times it doesn't even look like his head is in the game, when he wants to play he is 1 of the best players on the ice but I guess that 'will' & 'compete' is never really there on a consistant basis with russians.

witness
10-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Is it just me or is Sinitsyn a very lazy player?

I don't think he is lazy. The word that comes to mind is 'casual'. There never seems to be any rush or urgency to play the puck. He is such a good skater that it looks like there is no effort involved. The biggest part of his game that is impressive is his puck moving ability. He passes the puck like he means it, and 95% of the time it is tape to tape.

The Pats have a few high end talent guys and a bunch of 3rd line pluggers. They need to have a guy that can win some faceoffs (I thought that was suppose to be McCoy?).

Burroughs is a #3 or 4 d-man. Not a #1. He is not big enough or strong enough to handle the bigger power forwards in the league. Williams was not very good last night. And on the flip side, I thought Hak was effective.

Goaltending needs to be better. One bad goal and one preventable goal (bad rebound). And what was up with the slow public skate to the bench on a delayed penalty? I think I could have beat MacAuley to the bench from my seat. Is he really that bad of a skater?

Bighat
10-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Witness you hit the nail on the head I agree 100 percent. We need a goalie and a big dman. They can ship Williams out of here, not big enough takes stupid penalties and where's the offence everyone talks about. The forwards are going to gel and keep us in games.

patsdude114
10-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I haave never questioned Sinitsyn's skill level, not saying you thought I did though either. At times I just think his head isn't into the game, like setting up for faceoffs & such he just doesn't seem too interested to get his head into the game before the puck is dropped.

As for Williams I think I was wwatching a different game last night. Thought it was 1 of his better games as a Regina Pats player. People knocked him last year for not being strong/tough enough then last night he goes out & has prob the biggest hit of the game along the wall just across the blueline, then takes a 2mins penalty for being stronger then the other guy (sorry cross checking) now every says he's taking bad penalties. He's a good puck moving Dman, not an offensive Dman who is going to score much, there is a difference.

Our goaltending is just brutal, too many bad goals we should be a .500 team of even a game above .500 if it wasn't for our sub par goaltending that MacAuley has provided.

RWAH
10-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Of the two games we have seen MacAuley play , the home opener he poop the bed that was ugly. Last night, a soft goal and I thought poor rebounds. On the road trip the coaches praised his work in Red Deer and Kootney and Edmonton but the forwards need to score more than one goal a game. We do need some timely saves and no soft goals. My hope the sub par play is nerves and he will settle in. If he does not, I am sure either Gora or Schneider will be brought up
I also thought he was not tracking the puck when we had possession looked very casual and reminded me of choke-callus from 1999/2000

Bepoleon
10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Too many passengers on this team. Stephenson, Klimchuk, Stevenson and Leier were lights out. Othen than McCoy and Maguire, the other forwards jus blended in.

Is it just me or has Stephenson taken his play up another level? look very good vs the Blades.

IMO, Hunt might be on the bubble, did very little and hasn't impressed me at all this season.

patsdude114
10-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Hunt costed us 1 goal after he came out of box when the Blades had the 5on3 he darted to the bench for some reason instead of going straight to the zone. No 1 on the Pats bench was watching Hunt come to the bench it took a good 5 seconds before someone jumped over the bench & the Burns scored as the player hit the red line. Hunt killed penalties at times during his 16yr old year a lot of times with Weal, why on earth wouldn't he just go into the zone, chances are he would of prevented that goal.

I'm not saying Hunt is on the bubble (which he may or may not be) I think he just needs to get his head into the game (along with a few others). We still have to make up our minds on a few roster players. I notice Bricker (whatever his name was) was reassigned to Melfort. I'm pretty disappointed in Hansen, I don't know if its cause we are not using him effectively or what but I'm thinking this is a trade Lang will definitely lose. Still think Rodewald should of been on this team I still believe he is going to score 15-20 goals, can't say the same for Samoridny though.

Our biggest hole is between the pipes so far, but I think Lang is going to hold off abit longer at least until Sacher comes back from injury. Sacher played a very strong game in SC during the opening weekend, I was told that Sacher's injury happened the day before the Edmonton game which was why MacAuley was even inserted into that game which turned out to be his 1st SO. I do feel Sacher is our guy & he is able to give us saves when we need them just like last year. I know there are a few on here who are still high on MacAuley but I truly believe he is nothing more then a backup in this league, who I'm assumming plaays better when just thrown into the fire instead of a 'planned starter'

witness
10-08-2013, 08:41 AM
I thought Hunt was OK. There was a lack of communication coming out of the box. But, He was hard on the forecheck all night. He back checks hard. We have to remember that this guy sat out all last year, he lost a whole year of development.

I, on the other hand, like Hansen. The kid is a good, no great, skater. He doesn't cheat, he plays an honest game. And most importantly, plays hard in all three zones. Again, we have to remember that Hansen was drafted as a defenseman, he has only played forward for 2 years. I think he has an upside.

I do think they need better play in goal. Whether that is Sacher, MacAuley, or someone else. This team will need a goaltender to have the ability to steal a couple of games. From what I have seen, I don't think MacAuley has that ability. There is also an opportunity after the 20 year old cut down day, once the 20 year old players clear waivers, to pick up a 20 year old player from one of the other CHL leagues. I really don't know what's out there, but it is a possibility.

patsdude114
10-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I personally like Hunt, always have....he competes hard all the time, I really don't think he is on the bubble hence why I put in brackets may or may not be... As for Hansen it was the 1st time I actually ever put him under the microscope during a game, whenever MJ was here to play never really cared to pay attention to him. I'll give him a few more games to really see if there is anything there offensively as a forward. I did notice on 1 of the 5on3 PK's we had they had Hansen playing defense which he actually looked more comfortable then any shift on forward. Maybe it would be best for the Pats to move him back to defense again, he is a bigger body not overly strong though but that can be worked on, size can not be worked on.

I'm with you witness on MacAuley I don't think he will ever have the capabilities to be a #1 guy in this league. I said in preseason that he was in over his head in the WHL & still believe that. To be fair to him though you don't get better unless you face better shooters then what the SJHL has to give him. I think he can be a backup in the league & fill in 10-15 games but not many teams want a 19yr old backup besides the Pats it seems lol

We need to groom a younger goalie & don't see that happening til next year. Maybe the Pats should of had Schineder as a backup this year (I think that is the 16yr old without looking it up) I for 1 was really hoping Gora would of been on the team this year as a backup, cuz neither 1 of these 19yr olds will be a 20yr old goalie next year (or at least I hope not).

Tiger Trauma
10-08-2013, 05:02 PM
You guys will like Leier, his work ethic will be contagious...Once some of your players see that he doesn't take a shift off it could spread. Plus he has been one of the leaders in the Tigers dressing room and is well spoken.

I still don't agree that spending a 2nd for a 1 year rental player is optimal long-term strategy, but I also don't agree that the Tigers should have sent him away as the extra over-ager(not a popular opinion in Tiger-Town)....I think it was a mistake and secretly hoping he ends up with a 40+ goal season...although that may be a little too optimistic.

patsdude114
10-08-2013, 06:17 PM
I find early in the season your always paying some pretty good prices for the better 20yr olds in the league. For starters you already know they are here in the league for the year (unlike Thrower where there was that uncertainty for example) look at what Johnstone & Petryk went for with 3rd rd picks at the next draft if I recall correctly without being able to go look at the moment.

Then throw in the factor that the Pats gave that pick 3yrs from now so 1 would believe that maybe it should be a higher pick then normal being how far away it is. I know lang didn't want to move any top pick this year as he says they need to follow suit with 1 more real strong draft to go along with the last 2 drafts we have had, so taking that all into consideration can kind of see why he gave a 2nd rd pick for 3yrs from now. Did he over pay..... Maybe abit if Leier can help spread that winning attitude thru our lineup & also his work ethic then I don't mind over paying for him abit as let's face it the pats don't have much winning culture here the last 5 or so years so to start getting that need to bring a player or 2 in who are used to winning & start winning yourself. So far with Leier the pats are 1-1 its nothing to brag about that's forsure but its hopefully a start.

Tiger Trauma
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I find early in the season your always paying some pretty good prices for the better 20yr olds in the league. For starters you already know they are here in the league for the year (unlike Thrower where there was that uncertainty for example) look at what Johnstone & Petryk went for with 3rd rd picks at the next draft if I recall correctly without being able to go look at the moment.

Then throw in the factor that the Pats gave that pick 3yrs from now so 1 would believe that maybe it should be a higher pick then normal being how far away it is. I know lang didn't want to move any top pick this year as he says they need to follow suit with 1 more real strong draft to go along with the last 2 drafts we have had, so taking that all into consideration can kind of see why he gave a 2nd rd pick for 3yrs from now. Did he over pay..... Maybe abit if Leier can help spread that winning attitude thru our lineup & also his work ethic then I don't mind over paying for him abit as let's face it the pats don't have much winning culture here the last 5 or so years so to start getting that need to bring a player or 2 in who are used to winning & start winning yourself. So far with Leier the pats are 1-1 its nothing to brag about that's forsure but its hopefully a start.

We could take Lethbridge as an example for last year. Acquired Rimmer for a 2nd...this year Rimmer is gone, so is that 2nd, and they still needed a goaltender...

A high pick like that is worth it if you are shooting for a successful season.(4th place or better finish) Edmonton and Prince Albert both look to have strong seasons this year so spending for this year makes sense.

Lang has a marketing background and has showed with moose jaw he is not afraid to trade, Even though the current market demands an x price, and can provide Y value in the short-term, it will hurt in the long term, because the return is only for this season which may not provide great value overall.

Ideally you want to make moves than benefit long-term, and only invest in short-term moves if it will help achieve a goal of a contending team, with an allowance of small tinkering...I consider a 2nd round pick to be a high price even though it is just a pick, and picks can be overated...

Regina has a lot of older players 18/19's in a year where they likely will not contend, or make a lot of noise...I see a roster like that as a roster that could use a lot of tinkering with, and will take 2 seasons at least before the younger guys start maturing, and Lang's impact will be fully felt.

I don't know much about your 16's and 17's but maybe you can tell me a couple players to keep an eye on? Also what kind of goalie prospects do the pats have?

With all your 19's there will be a high turnover rate, and it kinda looks like you'll be forced to spend an asset for a goaltender next season, unless one of the 19 yr old goaltenders impress enough to stick as a 20, or can sell a 19 for an up and coming goaltender.

Lang really only had 3 drafts with Regina and his mark is with the 17 year old group...so If he knew what he was doing Regina should have a good club in 2 years, with advantageous draft positions, but its hard to see. Maybe give him an extra year to boot for pulling in good scouts/smart hockey people.

patsdude114
10-10-2013, 08:41 PM
We could take Lethbridge as an example for last year. Acquired Rimmer for a 2nd...this year Rimmer is gone, so is that 2nd, and they still needed a goaltender....

Yes LETH has done a brutal job at handing there goaltending situation, getting Rimmer kept them in a lot of games & gave them a chance to make the playoffs as a small market team. Without Rimmer the canes's would of been lower then the Pats most likely (who also had a 20yr old goalie but groomed him since he was 18yr old season).

A high pick like that is worth it if you are shooting for a successful season.(4th place or better finish) Edmonton and Prince Albert both look to have strong seasons this year so spending for this year makes sense.

Most top players don't go for anything less then a 1st round pick, 2nds usually have to include a quality prospect as well before a team will even consider moving a quality 19yr old. IMO 2nd & 3rd round picks are more for players that put up 40-50 point range in the previous season & since Leier is the point leader out of all guys traded so far this season (not including off-season as there was uncertainty if McColgan would even be back) a higher pick then the rest sounds about right. But also its the latest pick of all picks being moved to date as its a 2016 pick 1yr later then the rest.

I don't know much about your 16's and 17's but maybe you can tell me a couple players to keep an eye on? Also what kind of goalie prospects do the pats have?

Since Parker traded away our 1st round pick from this age group (I believe it was in the Ashton deal) we are left with abit of slim pickings. Brooks is basicly our only good 17yr old worth while, Mumby has actually looked pretty good as he did play a lot of minutes last year with all the injuries we had. There is still a big question mark on 17yr old euro Maximillian Kammerer he has showed a lot of offensive flashes in spurts but still has nothing to show for it on the score sheet, when he was draft Lang stated he was a work in progress...so far he is right.

Our 16yr old group was very strong in camp lead by the 3 that made the roster in Reagan (big strong Dman that skates pretty good) Wagner (big power forward style who has some decent hands) Zimmer (has good size and skates very well I think more offensive upside then Wagner)

With all your 19's there will be a high turnover rate, and it kinda looks like you'll be forced to spend an asset for a goaltender next season, unless one of the 19 yr old goaltenders impress enough to stick as a 20, or can sell a 19 for an up and coming goaltender.

Lang really only had 3 drafts with Regina and his mark is with the 17 year old group...so If he knew what he was doing Regina should have a good club in 2 years, with advantageous draft positions, but its hard to see. Maybe give him an extra year to boot for pulling in good scouts/smart hockey people.

I agree with this fully especially the goaltending situation, we will be looking for a goalie even more next season then we are this year unless 1 of these goalies grabs the bull by the horns and takes the position in stride. Time will tell once Sacher gets back, I still believe he is our best option. We do have a quality young 16yr old goalie in Nick Schneider who was a list player, he pushed every goalie at camp to be better, just didn't see a reason to keep a 16yr old on the roster as a backup as playing midget would be more beneficial.

I really thought Gora was going to compete more as a 17yr old backup, the Pats may yet bring him on this year if this dual 19yr old tandem continues to not work out. IMO it would make more sense to have him up and learning and getting experience to become that guy next year.

I truly believe Lang finally has this franchise going in the right direction, he took over from a lot of messes that Parker left behind. The new scouting group has done a great job in the past 2 drafts, 1 more strong draft (a top 10 pick would be nice again imo) and I don't think the Pats will have as much uncertainty moving forward as a franchise for hopefully 5-7 years.

Tiger Trauma
10-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Yes LETH has done a brutal job at handing there goaltending situation, getting Rimmer kept them in a lot of games & gave them a chance to make the playoffs as a small market team. Without Rimmer the canes's would of been lower then the Pats most likely (who also had a 20yr old goalie but groomed him since he was 18yr old season).

The Canes aren't really a small market team, they are more medium sized, but point is you keep spending a 2nd for immediate players which don't have much of an impact on the overall picture you loose in the long-run...you could say all Rimmer did was move the canes from the 1-3rd overall pick to the 6th pick, and lost a 2nd rounder....even though he is a great player, they lost twice....i explain more further down.

Most top players don't go for anything less then a 1st round pick, 2nds usually have to include a quality prospect as well before a team will even consider moving a quality 19yr old. IMO 2nd & 3rd round picks are more for players that put up 40-50 point range in the previous season & since Leier is the point leader out of all guys traded so far this season (not including off-season as there was uncertainty if McColgan would even be back) a higher pick then the rest sounds about right. But also its the latest pick of all picks being moved to date as its a 2016 pick 1yr later then the rest.

Here's the thing in terms of value. A player like Leier is 100% worth a 2nd round pick to the Tigers because of his point production and his impact greatly affected the Tigers standings wise. If he were shipped to Edmonton, or PA I would say its a fair trade because both teams look like they may make noise this season. (although its intra conference and it would never happen, just pointing out the value.)

There is a HUGE difference in overall value of a player taking a team from say 3rd to 2nd...than say someone from regina who takes a team from 8th to 7th...its not what the player is worth....but how he affects the overall picture....and to me a 7th place finish is not valuable at all...I want much better than that, and If Leier can't move my team to contending I'd rather use that pick to pick up a player than can help in another season where my chances might be better.

I did a study a couple years ago and average everything together, so the Medicine Hat's and Calgary's numbers are likely higher than the P.G's but on average..........first rounders become core players or better 99% of the time....2nd round = 50%, 3rd=25%....4th:10%.......then it becomes a big crapshoot after that..goaltenders are highly volatile as high as the 2nd round........those first 3 rounds are pretty valuable...but they are just picks and the scouts/GM have to turn that into value.

I hope that makes sense, but if it doesn't I'll agree to disagree with respect!

Since Parker traded away our 1st round pick from this age group (I believe it was in the Ashton deal) we are left with abit of slim pickings. Brooks is basicly our only good 17yr old worth while, Mumby has actually looked pretty good as he did play a lot of minutes last year with all the injuries we had. There is still a big question mark on 17yr old euro Maximillian Kammerer he has showed a lot of offensive flashes in spurts but still has nothing to show for it on the score sheet, when he was draft Lang stated he was a work in progress...so far he is right.

Our 16yr old group was very strong in camp lead by the 3 that made the roster in Reagan (big strong Dman that skates pretty good) Wagner (big power forward style who has some decent hands) Zimmer (has good size and skates very well I think more offensive upside then Wagner)

So it sounds like the next 2 years its likely that the pats still will be on the lean side, but in 3 years with your strong drafts the sun will be rising, maybe in 4 they could be a team to beat.

I truly believe Lang finally has this franchise going in the right direction, he took over from a lot of messes that Parker left behind. The new scouting group has done a great job in the past 2 drafts, 1 more strong draft (a top 10 pick would be nice again imo) and I don't think the Pats will have as much uncertainty moving forward as a franchise for hopefully 5-7 years.

I wish your team good luck...never like to see a team down for too long..as long as you don't beat the Tigers!!

RWAH
10-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Tiger T; I agree with your thinking completely. To give a 1st or 2nd round pick to move your team higher in th standings but below 4th is selling the future. Chad did that 2 seasons ago when he traded both 1st and 2nd for Marinchin and we were rewarded with a five game playoff series with Moose Jaw (2 home games) It is a mistake to say the playoffs are a whole new season. Unlike football where each level is a single game, hockey is a 7 game series, or to make the league finals you need to win 12 of 21 games. History proves the point: since the 92/93 season only Kootney as a 4th place team in 2010/11 has played in the league final and in that 20 years a 1st place club has won 15 times, 2nd place 3 times 3rd place once and 4th once..