PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 Wheaties 4 - Oct 4, 2013

dondo
10-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Better Late than never I suppose. I only got to listen to the third period of this one. Even with that little bit of broadcast I was impressed with how Thrower sounded and his stats back it up.

Wheaties Thresh Giants
Vancouver 3 Brandon 4

With a 1-3-0-0 record heading out onto the road the G-Men were hoping to find some momentum away from the Coliseum. They played a great first road period in Brandon on Friday, but then sagged badly in the second and were unable to come back in the third taking the loss.

Jackson Houck opened the scoring late in the first, assisted by the Giants’ newest addition wearing the “C”, Dalton Thrower. Anthony Ast got the other helper. Out-shooting the Wheaties by a two to one margin in the first the Giants looked poised to get off the schnide. The Wheaties tied it up early in the second and then seemed to gain momentum from a fight and ensuing PP just past the ten minute mark scoring another marker just as that PP had expired (to the second) – so for all intents and purposes you could consider it to be a PP marker even though the scoresheet says different. They used another PP late in the period to get a two goal lead before the end of the second.

Thrower scored his first goal as a Giant on the PP just over 5 minutes into the third. The Giants seemed to be pressing back hard in the third, but gave up a PP marker on yet another undisciplined penalty and fight. I have to appreciate the Giants willingness to drop the mitts and mix it up, but on this night the strategy backfired. Ast scored just before the 14 minute mark in the final frame to make it interesting. The G’s were not able to cash in a PP chance not long after the goal which closed the gap to one. The G-Men took a late penalty and killed their chances for the tie with time dwindling.

Team Notes: Dalton Thrower joined the team after being sent back down to Major Junior. Thrower brings a very tough defensive game, with flashes of offense, size and leadership by example. An intense and hard working player by reputation, Dalton was granted the “C” for the season. Thrower occupies one the Giants OA spots.

Fight Night: Brett Kulak v. Rene Hunter. Kulak given the instigator 5 and 10. Wheaties score just as the penalty expires. Mason Geertson v Taylor Green, after a charging infraction given to Brandon. Arvin Atwal v Rene Hunter, Atwal tagged for a cross-check and fight ensues. Wheaties score on ensuing PP chance.

The Giants out shot the WheatKings 30-24. They went 1 for 5 on the PP, while allowing 2 for 7 (more like 3) to the home team. A fine start for Dalton Thrower who made an impact his first game out had a goal and an assist, earning star honours and was the Giants only +2. Ast also had one goal and one assist. A learning game to be sure. I liked seeing the G’s come out strong, but disappointed they let their intensity get the best of them taking some poor penalties. Also it was yet another game where it was predominantly one line which was the difference. This was evident is almost all of their losses so far this season where the G’s play well versus the other three lines, but give the other guys top line easy access to the front of the net and wide open looks. Maybe it’s just growing pains or they are simply being out-matched and do not have the ability to stop the elite players. Thrower will be able hold his end of the ice this season (something the Giants have seriously lacked for years) and be a good mentor for our young D squad.

The Giants have a chance to bounce back as they head to Moose Jaw for a Saturday night tilt. The G’s will get their first look at the Warriors brand new arena.

Three Stars

1. Richard Nejezchleb
2. Dalton Thrower
3. John Quenneville

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Thrower - +2, 1G 1A, a great first game and very good example game for the Giants newest Captain.