PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 Pats 5 OT - Oct 11, 2013

dondo
10-11-2013, 11:53 PM
Almost pulled it out, but another bad second period and a hat trick by Regina Pat - Boston Leier - recently acquired from the Tigers gave the G's a point but not the two they desperately needed.

Pats Grease Giants
Vancouver 4 Regina 5 OT

The Pats only needed minimal shots to pull this one out in OT, scoring five goals on 17 shots just cannot happen. I'm not sure if Payton Lee had a rough night or was simply abandoned by his team as has happened so many times so far this young season. The Giants, as usual, had an awful second period after a good opening frame coming out with a 2-1 lead. They allowed 3 unanswered in the second and then bounced back in the third to earn a point and a chance at two. Again it was undisciplined play, getting called for tripping in the OT, that was their downfall in this one.

The G's opened the scoring early, 47 seconds into the game early. Brett Kulak put the puck in the net off of Anthony Ast. The Giants finally made a PP count just past the mid-way mark of the first. Dalton Thrower found the net off of Carter Popoff. The Pats got one back late in the frame closing the game to one before the period buzzer. The Pats added 3 in the second, one of which was a 5 on 3 tally. They then scored 4 on 4 when a Giant player (Ast) who does not dive, was tagged for embellishment after being interfered with. They added their third of the period with 1 second left in the middle frame. I'd love to see the replay on that one. The Giants bounced back in the third. Alec Baer scored one off of Popoff and Jackson Houck. Joel Hamilton notched an unassisted tally at 16:26 tying the game at 4s. The Giants were given a tripping penalty, I hope it was a true trip and not something the refs made up in their head, in OT and the Pats scored their second PP goal of the game getting the two points and the W. The Giants were in this one, but for a second period sag and seemingly undisciplined play. The real thing that bothers me though is 5 goals on 17 shots. Lee is better than that and to be honest this is a game the Giants most definitely should have won, out shooting their opponent 30-17.

Team Notes: Franson still out with injury as are McEvoy, Sward, Trzonkowski and Cooke. 8 D-men were dressed for this game.

Rookie Watch: Eder and Osipov were -1s in this one as was Ronning

Fight Night: nada

Zebra Cage: Patrick Gagnon and Trevor Peluk - pretty precious calls all-around and at poor times. The calls felt soft as melted butter to me. I have to say I do not like the way the game is called in the Eastern Conference. Too many games called badly on this trip. Even opposing fans on their forum boards are saying their teams were getting gifts from the zebras.

The Giants out shot the Pats 30-17. They went 1 for 3 on the PP, while the Pats were 2 for 6. Despite the final score and the slip in the second, this was proabably one of the better games the Giants have played on this road trip. They battled back from being down instead of folding. They did not collapse in the third and allow multiple goals because they were just too damn lazy to make the freaking effort as they have done in too many games already on this trip.

The G's have one more chance for a road W tomorrow night in Swift Current. Let's hope the boys actually show up like they did tonight, but hold the fort, especially in the second period, which has just killed them so far this season. Some effort, hard work and focus like we saw for that one period versus the Raiders stretched out over a full 60 would be nice.

Three Stars

1. Boston Leier
2. Kyle Burroughs
3. Joel Hamilton

Dondo's Hardhat: goes to - Carter Popoff - a couple of helpers and some solid all-around play.

Dondo's Doghouse: contains Payton Lee - sorry buddy, but even left high and dry you cannot and I mean cannot allow 5 goals on 17 shots. It just can't happen. I am hoping he digs his way out the doghouse soon, but he hasn't been giving his team a chance to win lately and if the Giants ever hope to break this slump they need some game-stealing netminding.

Giantsfan
10-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Orban was serving a one game suspension for his instigating penalty last game.

I've been a supporter of Lee, but I'm near the end of the line. How much longer are they going to milk the injury card on all the losses. Goaltending, inept power plays, & just lousy draft picks is probably the main reason why this team is struggling. Ast, Sward & Foster aren't exactly taking the team on their back. Thank God for Thrower because he's been their best player night in, night out. There are still so many passengers on this team but maybe things are looking a little better?

patsdude114
10-12-2013, 11:54 AM
They battled back from being down instead of folding

They had goals 3 & 4 handed to them from a Dman by the name of Colby Williams. They outshot the Pats yes but really had very few scoring chances to be honest. On the other hand the chances the Giants were giving up especially the 1s scored on were prime chances, 1 was a very lucky bounce with 1.2secs left in the 2nd period but other then that Lee did what he could. He made some really good saves as well, 1 glove save midway point of the 1st really stands out on a cross crease 1timer off rush.

The Giants all talk tough (Traber, Thrower, Geertsen) but didn't see 1 of them stand up to Stevenson late in the game when he caught who I believe was Popoff with his head down coming thru center ice and was injuried on the play. Stevenson was ready to fight after that hit and no 1 came and said 2 words to him during play. But they sure were chirping while the refs discussed if it should of been a penalty or not. I don't really expect anything less from Thrower though all that guy ever does it talk.

I really liked a lot of the younger kids on the Giants though, at least you guys have a future coming soon.....the pats could only be so lucky

dondo
10-14-2013, 11:47 AM
thanks patsdude - good to hear the skinny from ice-level. We need a few gifts from time to time to get those Ws. It concerns me that none of the Giants stepped up in defense of one of our players getting leveled though. At least we were going to the hard spots to get those gifts, but it concerns me that we are still unable to capitalise on those premium chances. I'm sure the luck wheel will circle back a bit, but in this game luck consistently goes to the hardest worker in my experience.

As for Lee, he has some chops, he is still 17 and needs more starts. He is going to be shelled from time to time, but he absolutely needs to have some support for his own players. They need to consistently box out and stop getting out-maneuvered. Easy rebound goals we cannot afford.

Lucic
10-15-2013, 01:59 PM
The Giants all talk tough (Traber, Thrower, Geertsen) but didn't see 1 of them stand up to Stevenson late in the game when he caught who I believe was Popoff with his head down coming thru center ice and was injuried on the play. Stevenson was ready to fight after that hit and no 1 came and said 2 words to him during play.

I already mentioned this in the other thread but I think if that hit happened earlier in the game somebody would have fought Stevenson. Both Traber and Geertsen could handle Stevenson. He's a tough kid and a gamer but it isn't like he's a world beater. Then again so far this season Traber hasn't looked interested at all in the rough stuff. A little disappointing to say the least.

This game was pretty chippy early on and I expected some rough stuff but I thought it died down as the game went on.

johnnyradiant
10-15-2013, 10:55 PM
It seems when we have a new guy come in with anything even remotely suggesting he has some chops in the gloveless part of the game they all seem to be daffodils or other bloomin skater. I don't think we traded for toughness and got it since Kassian. Please refresh my memory if wrong, I know I probably don't have to give permission for that. :). If we have gotten it in a trade it is been very little in comparison to the suggestions.