PDA

View Full Version : Impressed with the young Blades

Nook
10-12-2013, 10:34 PM
4-0-1 after their slow start. They've beaten Edmonton, Swift Current, and Brandon... all teams ahead of them in the standings, and they've played pretty well in doing so.

I'm not going to call them a playoff contender so early, but this is an encouraging sign for a young team.

Keep at it, Blades.

JMoney1988
10-13-2013, 09:09 PM
I too am also impressed with the blades play as of late......, sure it's not enough to renew my season tickets......., I also see season tickets went down from last year, only seeing between 3500-4500 at games......., I went to the game against Swift Current......, good game......, maybe Moodie is finally breaking out of his shell and starting to become a quality netminder, but we will see......., keep it up young blades....., next up against the Moose Jaw Warriors. It was nice to see Prince Albert lose again tonight....., puts a smile on my face

JMoney1988
10-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Interesting side note, even though early in the season, for a rebuilding team, our special teams has been good overall:
2nd in powerplay (28.3%) 13/46 (power play goals for/power play chances)
11th in penalty kill 12/57 (power play goals against/penalty kill chances)

Keep it up!!!!!!!

Nook
10-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Interesting side note, even though early in the season, for a rebuilding team, our special teams has been good overall:
2nd in powerplay (28.3%) 13/46 (power play goals for/power play chances)
11th in penalty kill 12/57 (power play goals against/penalty kill chances)

Keep it up!!!!!!!

20s are carrying this team, but when you're a young team that tends to happen.

Seems as if with acquiring Valcourt, Craig and Burns last season, Molleken wasn't just thinking about the Memorial Cup.

ofhdhdy
10-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Haven't been to a game yet, how has Sherbak looked? He has pretty impressive stats for a guy who is still more than two months away from turning 18 and also when you consider this is his first experience with North American hockey/ice surface.

Nook
10-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Haven't been to a game yet, how has Sherbak looked? He has pretty impressive stats for a guy who is still more than two months away from turning 18 and also when you consider this is his first experience with North American hockey/ice surface.

He's all over the place... but in a good way. He seems suited to the North American style of game. Kudos to Molleken for finding this guy so late in the Euro draft (109th.)

Wouldn't surprise me if it's him and Barzal in the rookie of the year race.

David Nemecek seems like he has found his game as well. Happy for him, seeing as he had issues staying in the line-up in Sarnia last year.

Bocephus
10-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Watched the Blades in Calgary last night. Really impressed with defence. Nogier and Craig made great decisions all game and Nikkel and Nemecek were a very solid second pairing. I really liked Kirichenko too. He got his first on a beauty snipe to the top corner, just ask him, lol.

Moodie also looked solid and the forwards played responsibly and took advantage of opportunities that were there to gain a single point.
That import forward also looked big and skilled and was impressive.

I thought that your rebuild was going to be long and slow?

JMoney1988
10-18-2013, 09:29 PM
Wow, nice win 4-2, 3 goals in the third, one as short handed, it's nice to see them doing well during this so called "rebuilding mode" this year, everything seems to be clicking, power play, penalty kill, goaltending/defence and offence. Maybe not having any pressure of hosting say the memorial cup or some big event, they seem to be alot looser. Hey 14 points, over .500, 1 point behind P.A./Swift Current, didn't think I would say that....... KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!!

ofhdhdy
10-19-2013, 07:45 PM
Moodies been playing great so Struch decides to start Trombley in back to back games? How does that make any sense?

ofhdhdy
10-19-2013, 08:34 PM
Well Moodie hasn't done much better in relief! Although it can be difficult coming in off the bench instead of starting...

JMoney1988
10-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Well, no matter the goalie, we knew this game would come, but so far it will be a 3-1-1 road trip, so how will they respond in their next game......, I wonder if three games in three nights played a factor, having said that, I quite impressed with a 1-1-1 in 3 games

Trav
10-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Well, no matter the goalie, we knew this game would come, but so far it will be a 3-1-1 road trip, so how will they respond in their next game......, I wonder if three games in three nights played a factor, having said that, I quite impressed with a 1-1-1 in 3 games

I know all teams have go through a three game in three nights but I think that's just stupid. Three games in four nights to me should the max.

I like how the team didn't quit and tried to come back. In past years, I don't think I've seen a Blades team that has made strong comebacks like this year's team has in the games where they've been down by a few goals.

I think Struch has made a big difference on the bench and it really wouldn't surprise me if guys enjoy playing for him more then they did for Molleken.

sbtatter
10-20-2013, 08:06 AM
I know all teams have go through a three game in three nights but I think that's just stupid. Three games in four nights to me should the max.

Couldn't agree with you more. Even the 3 games in 4 nights is a stretch, let alone the 3 in 3...

JMoney1988
10-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Nice win by the boys 4-3 over Red Deer, did anyone see the Valcourt incident involving Bartosak and could that be suspendable? The number 1 power play strikes at just the right time......, MH tomorrow!!!!
Nikita Scherbak, I guess he was a nice little pick-up, but most imports are unpredictable......, 9 goals, 13 assists, 22 points and currently leading rookie scoring!!!!!!!!

Trav
10-25-2013, 11:55 PM
The one thing that I don't get is, how can u get a major just after scoring a goal. Retarded but those are the WHL officials for ya, nothing but a joke as is the league office.

Nook
10-26-2013, 09:10 AM
The one thing that I don't get is, how can u get a major just after scoring a goal. Retarded but those are the WHL officials for ya, nothing but a joke as is the league office.

Puck went in before he ran into the goalie. You can't really call the goal back on that if the puck was in the net before any contact occurred.

Surprised that Sutter didn't pull a Molleken and toss all his tougher guys on the ice at once!

JMoney1988
10-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Okay, so I watched the highlights......, that ref call was bull****, a 5 min major for that? Please tell me the blades will appeal that, if you watch the highlights, the red deer guy hooked while angled Valcourt into Bartosak as it seems as if Valcourt tried to get out of the way and his BODY (not knee, as Section N Deserter stated) connected with Bartosak head, plus it's not Valcourt fault if your goalie is sliding as well, but hey he could have just streamrolled him instead just like you guys did a couple of years ago in the playoffs, even my hockey savvy Uncle thinks this is a bull**** call....., but a wins-a-win.........

Nook
10-26-2013, 09:48 AM
My question is, how bad did he run into Bartosak, did he hit him full stride or light contact?

From the highlights it seems like he was taking the puck hard to the net like you're supposed to but hit Bartosak on the way past.

I don't think he purposely ran into the goalie, but I don't think he tried his best to avoid him either.

Trav
10-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Well Valcourt didn't get suspended, which surprised me knowing how the league likes to throw the book at a player.

As for tonite's game, yikes, had a 3-1 lead and now it's 5-3 for the Tigers. Team needs to step it up. Seems like only their top line is doing much of anything.

JMoney1988
10-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Well, I'm happy with a 4-2-1 road trip for a "rebuilding" team......, but one question, where is all the MH penalties at? Oh yeah, it's Byblow and Howe, that's why........., they didn't want the number 1 power play to help us win, I guess revenge possibly on Tuesday

JMoney1988
11-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Okay, now I'm pissed, I understand we are a "rebuilding" team and young one but this is bull-****, you have a 5 goal lead after 2, you allow them to get 3 goals in 2:04 and kill your momentum...... I just don't know..........., I have been a season ticket holder for 4 years, I'm not going to any more games until they put in an effort and try to improve....., hopefully Strutch bag skates their asses tomorrow

Trav
11-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Okay, now I'm pissed, I understand we are a "rebuilding" team and young one but this is bull-****, you have a 5 goal lead after 2, you allow them to get 3 goals in 2:04 and kill your momentum...... I just don't know...........

I agree, all I can say is WOW, it seems like the Blades can start games but can not finish them. They get a good lead on Medicine Hat twice...only to lose both times...now tonight they get a really big lead...only to lose. Frustrating.

franchise
11-03-2013, 08:29 PM
of the "we are young, we are learning, we are rebuilding, we work hard," stuff. Goals against is second worst in the league. The solution? Break up the first line to get the proverbial "balanced" scoring. That has never made any sense to me. How about paying a little attention to your own end their Coach? Valcourt, Burns, and Scherbak were doing their job, and the team was competitive. Chemistry is such a tough thing to find on a team but once you find it, to then get in the way of it is just a bad move. Zajac is a totally bad fit for Scherbak and Burns. He is all over the place. He is a third/fourth line checker. Revel scores three and was probably the worst player on the ice last night. To fiddle with the lines up front to try and kickstart some of the forward group is simply rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Especially when the real issue is at the other end of the ice.