PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 Hitmen 3 OT - Oct 23rd, 2013

dondo
10-24-2013, 01:51 AM
Nice to see the boys avoid the complete collapse, but they have got to figure out how to hold onto to leads.

Giants Elude Hitmen
Vancouver 4 Calgary 3 OT

I was concerned that the Giants would collapse after such a strong first period, but credit them for holding on versus a very good team. In the end they allowed the Hitmen to get a point by clawing their way back into the game, but it’s the fact they had to work for it that gives me hope. My biggest problem with the losses on the Eastern road swing was the fragility of a team which held on and then suffered a complete collapse at the least sign of adversity. They were competitive in all three periods and that’s good to see. Pulling it out in OT is some much needed cake icing as well. Good to see Alec (not “Alex”, Don Hay) Baer’s coming out party proving he can do in a game what he had flashes of in camp and preseason. The Hitmen played a pretty ugly first period and the Giants sat back too much in the second and third for my liking, but a positive step and building block for the young squad’s confidence.

Blake Orban opened the scoring early in the game with his first of the season. Travis McEvoy and Alec Baer got the assists. Baer scored one of his own a couple of minutes later. A highlight reel goal undressing the D-man and putting it home. Tyler Morrison got the lone assist. Cain Franson finally found twine. Scoring his first of the season by ripping it short side with time ticking down. Baer capped off his three point period with the only assist. Calgary scored an unassisted goal off of some poor Giants play in the second. They added two more in the third to tie the game and force OT. OT started out 3 on 3 for some reason, as players were given coincidental minors at the end of regulation, but I thought it was four on four regardless especially for coincidentals – I think the very precious refs we had tonight should look at their rule books. 4 seconds into 4 on 4 the Giants get the game winner. Travis McEvoy who played a very edgy game tonight was rewarded going to the net. Carter Popoff and Arvin Atwal got the helpers.

Team Notes: Jared Rathjen was out of the line-up and I haven’t heard any deals, so I have to assume he is injured. Jake Morrissey was the back-up for this tilt. Leone, Osipov, Dosanjh, Zalitach scratched.

Rookie Watch: Baer had a three point period and looked mighty fine doing it too. Nice to see the 16 yr old having some jump. 1G 2A.

Fight Night: nada

Zebra Cage: Ryan Benbow and Steve Papp. Kinda crap actually. Badly timed questionable calls that could have affected the game very poorly for little or nothing. Soft calls and a couple of very thin-skinned calls threatened to over-shadow the game.

The Giants were out shot 35-33. Both teams were 0 for 4 as the refs seemed more interested in evening things up than calling a good game. I am still disappointed in Houck who should be not only an impact player, but a clutch player who gets the goals the team really needs. Sadly he has not been, seems to be late to the party frequently and whiffing on easy loose pucks. It’s time for him to bear down and make a difference. Good to see Franson finally find twine, but much more is needed from him as well. The veterans have to be the ones making a difference if the Giants hope to come out of their next 8 in 11 days on top.

At least one goal Lee will want back, but he faced more shots than he has in a game this season and made some timely clutch stops late when the Giants got scrambling in their own end, allowing too much dangerous traffic right on the doorstep. Brett Kulak who has looked so good as of late was a bit of an ugly –2 in this game, maybe trying to do too much and force some pucks through with lower percentage plays. I need to see McEvoy continue his style of play. Those two back to back “high-sticks” in the third were more refs perception than real penalties in my estimation – esp the second one. The PK is one of the best parts of the Giants game these days.

The Giants have a chance for some revenge versus the Silvertips who embarrassed the boys last time in the Coliseum, on Friday. Hopefully the boys have gotten past that tentative fragility and are ready to put together a game like they did tonight. Allowing those leads to slip not-withstanding. I accept the speed bumps, but not the surrenders. Puck drops at the usual 7:30pm PDT.

Three Stars

1. Alec Baer
2. Blake Orban
3. Jake Virtanen

Dondo’s Doghouse: Houck with a very beige game, zeros across the board is frankly irritating the crap outta me. He’s much better than that and capable of so much more. He stays in the doghouse until I see something - a fight, a couple of assists, a power-forward type of goal, sticking up for teammates. Stop Floating it’s not your game!

Dondo’s Hardhat: Honourable mention to Travis McEvoy, but the hardhat has to go to Baer who put together an almost perfect period, 1G 2A and a +2 .. he looked very dangerous and was willing to go to the hard areas of the ice.

rinkrat
10-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Good to see Alec (not “Alex”, Don Hay)

From his twitter account...

Alexander John Baer
@Baby_Baer13

Vancouver Giants forward #8 Instagram - baerboy8 Snapchat - baerboy

johnnyradiant
10-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Rathjen was apparently a late injury and Morrisey was an emergency (borrowed??) back-up. He could only play if Lee was injured. I think that covers all I know and had been wondering about some more details. I think Morrisey is or at least was on Kelowna's list?

Was curious when late was, where Morrisey traveled from, and of course what sorta injury and prognosis of injury and recuperation.

Nice to see my second Calgary win, finally. Two games in a row that not only did they look like they know how to skate instead of standing still and watching but they actually won. I might have to look where I threw my jersey if they are gonna put in an effort again. Even if they don't win I'll except an effort.

dondo
10-25-2013, 01:18 PM
weird cause he's Alec in every other list I have seen - well played Hayzer, well played .. Alec or Alex - he had a hell of a period and a showing the kind of promise he did in some of the camp scrimmages. I love it when the 16 yr olds realize they are that good and gain confidence throughout the year - hopefully that happens.

Good to see Alec (not “Alex”, Don Hay)

From his twitter account...

Alexander John Baer
@Baby_Baer13

Vancouver Giants forward #8 Instagram - baerboy8 Snapchat - baerboy

dondo
10-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the info johnnyr :)

Yeah I agree, we all know they are rebuilding, but the early fragility was really worrying me. Imagine if their veterans actually become impact players. I have to say my biggest disappointment this year so far has been our veterans (other than Thrower who is a leader in the truest sense of the word), mainly forwards. I need to see less coasting and more example setting skating and working from our seasoned guys who should know by now what it takes and be willing to give that every night.

The Tips are tough team to get through, so we need to use speed and agility and just enough physical play to clear the way. Also boxing out around our net, like the boys do on their PK is a must against a large bodied team like Everett.

Giantsfan
10-25-2013, 05:18 PM
Houck has been by far, the biggest disappointment so far. He's not driving to the net, no banging bodies, not initiating any physical play & he just looks completely disinterested. He reminds me of Grant, who played the same way after he was sent back from Philly camp.

It's funny, because in the off season, Houck was on twitter trying to make a case for him to be the captain. If he really believed he was captain material, then he should show it.

dondo
10-26-2013, 01:00 AM
That might be the problem though. Maybe he'd convinced himself he would be Captain and now he's just phoning it in because he's choked that he isn't.

He laid the body a few times tonight and had some decent offensive forays, but there were still too many coasting shifts for my liking. He's still only 18, I'm hoping he stops sulking and starts trying to prove himself. He's too good a player not to play full-on. It would be a waste if he takes many more games off.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Houck has been by far, the biggest disappointment so far. He's not driving to the net, no banging bodies, not initiating any physical play & he just looks completely disinterested.

In a nutshell, he's not hard to play against these days.