PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 T-Birds 5 - Oct 26, 2013

dondo
10-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Listened to some of the second and most of the third for this one when the Giants were on the comeback, so not sure what happened early to put them down

TBirds Bite Giants
Vancouver 3 Seattle 5

After starting out behind the eight ball by giving up two early goals against the G-Men were forced to battle from behind for the rest of the tilt. The boys started out slowly, but pounded more shots on net than they have so far this season. Down 4-1 in the second the Giants fought their way back to within one. The Giants got many PP chances in the tilt, but were only able to capitalise twice.

Seattle opened the scoring 2:01 into the tilt on the PP. They added one more a few minutes later. Travis McEvoy got one back late in the period, assisted by Dalton Sward and Andreas Eder. Seattle found the twine one more time in the opening frame, restoring their two goal bulge. Seattle increased that lead 3:31 into the second. Carter Popooff scored his first of two PP markers a couple of minutes later. Jackson Houck and Dalton Thrower had the assists. Popoff used a PP in the third to draw within one. Thrower and Houck were both in on that goal too. The Giants brought big pressure in the third, but could not solve Justin Myles who was earning his first star nod with some red light robbery. The TBirds potted an empty net marker to salt away the win.

Team Notes: Eder, Atwal and Dosanjh were back in the line-up tonight. I suspect there will be a lot of line-juggling over the next series of games in minimal days.

The Giants out shot the Thunderbirds 44-27, while going 2 for 7 with the man-advantage. The Thunderbirds went 2 for 4. Looks like more of the boys are willing to show up lately and despite not getting points they are not giving up as easily as they did early in the season. Payton Lee has to buckle down a bit more and make some of those clutch saves. I think he’s capable, but I have to see better battle, more of him challenging the shooter and much better rebound control, but as a young goalie those are the things he is learning.

I’m happy that Houck seems to be one of those players who is cranking up his game. A couple of hard won assists and some real battle for pucks and laying the body. He should always have the other guys on their toes when he’s on the ice and it feels as if he might be willing to pay more of a price in recent games. Popoff always seems to be around the puck and hungry when he gets it. He fares better with more space and time as he has on the PP, but he is not afraid to go to the hard places. I am hoping Sward finds more of a game and that he continues to battle hard. He’s another player who is better than he believes himself to be and a little confidence and some luck could allow him to discover that.

I appreciate the boys not giving in, despite putting themselves into some very tough spots early in games. It’s a process and I realize that, but the flashes I am seeing are moving in the right direction and they could possibly be a small win streak away from stepping it up a level.

Game two of three in a row, the Giants will have to come out strong early in Kamloops and take advantage of a Blazer team missing some big components. The Blazers shipped a disgruntled Tim Bozon for some good building blocks and a couple of roster players, losing some offensive punch in the process. The puck drops in da ‘loops at 6pm PDT, as it’s a Sunday game.

Three Stars
1. Justin Myles
2. Carter Popoff
3. Keegan Kolesar

Dondo’s Hardhat: Houck has worked his way out of the doghouse and could earn a hardhat if his progression continues, but tonight’s hardhat goes to Carter Popoff, for some hard work, some nice goals and some nice puck hunger.