PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 Blazers 1 - Oct 27, 2013

dondo
10-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Listened to a majority of this one and taking into account some home-town bias from the broadcasters the team sounded very solid. It's a step in the right direction. I need to see the same effort versus the Cougars.

Giants Bash Blazers
Vancouver 4 Kamloops 1

6 seconds into the game the Blazers find twine and a lot of Giants fans listening to the radio were thinking “here we go again”. I’m not sure if that quick goal acted as a wake-up call or just a source of embarrassment, but the Giants were not only able to shut the door from that point on, but pepper the Blazers net coming away with a decided victory. The boys proved they could hold onto a lead, denying the home town skaters another goal in the game. The Gs had a much improved attitude and work ethic in their own end of the ice and eliminated that panic mode we have seen far too often this young season. They also had very good gap control and limited the odd-man rush opportunities they handed to Seattle on a platter just the night before. Definitely a step in the right direction, but we also must keep in mind that the Blazers are a re-building team who just dealt their best offensive threat for a couple of roster players and some tasty picks. The much-maligned Payton Lee, was given the kind of support he has been lacking and was able to step his game up in clutch situations to brick up the net.

As said above: the Blazers opened the scoring a mere six seconds into the opening frame. Carter Popoff got the come-back rolling as the Giants push back started early with fisticuffs and a momentum change. Popoff scored just past the 8 minute mark assisted by Ty Ronning and Jackson Houck. With seconds ticking down in both the PP and the period, Brett Kulak found twine to get the G’s their first lead of the game. Dalton Thrower and Cain Franson got the helpers on the play. Mid-second Houck found the back of the net, assisted by Popoff and Kulak. Tim Traber tipped Blake Orban’s shot past Bolton Pouliot, who was the only Blazer playing to win, posting a +.900 GAA facing 47 shots and allowing four past him. Andreas Eder got the other assist on Traber’s goal. The G’s held the fort in a scoreless third, cruising to a nice complete win. Lee made some clutch stops late, not over-committing and holding the post well down low.

Team Notes: Line-up juggling continues as Reid Zalitach was slotted back into the line-up. Atwal takes a seat on the pine. For the third game in three nights the Giants had jump. It feels like the team is beginning to gel a bit and more players are drinking the kool-aid. Not sure if the new goalie coach has helped Lee so quickly, but Eli Wilson has worked with goalies such as Carey Price, Tuuka Rask, Tim Thomas and Cory Schneider, bringing a pretty good pedigree. I sincerely hope that he is able to get Lee to settle down and make smarter plays with the puck on his rebounds as the kid has a good package of skills from which to work.

Rookie Watch: The young guys continue to learn it seems. Dmitry Osipov had one of his best games I would say. He made some smart pinches and took some good shots. Ty Ronning had an assist. Baer was held off the score-sheet. Eder added a helper of his own. let’s hope this guy is getting over his lackadaisical playing style and beginning to “get” the North American game. He needs to “grok” the way we do things and why, (there’s an archaic reference for those of us who read books once upon a time, but an apt one).

Fight Night: For those of you who want fighting out of hockey, shame on you. This might be a perfect example of how a well-timed fight can alter game momentum. Mason Geertsen v. Sam Grist. First of all seeing Geertsen back dropping the mitts makes me happy as one of the reasons we got him from Edmonton for Musil is that aspect of his game as well as the defensive abilities and size. Grist is a true heavy-weight and massive guy. Geertsen took some hard hits right off the bat, but didn’t give in and hung in there. I think the Giants fed off of the tilt and that was when the shift really happened.

Zebra Cage: Kevin Bennett and Brett Iverson – The Blazer fans were not too happy with a lot of the calls in this one as they were lopsided, but most were of the lazy variety by my estimation, tripping and holding. Not what you would call a balanced game, but the Giants were working hard to keep themselves out of the box. I am sure there were a few glossed over during the game though.

The Giants out the Blazers 47-34, they had many PP chances but only found twine in 1 of 7 opportunities. The Blazers were held to 0 for 3, although there is something fishy about the WHL stats, as Franson had a cross-checking penalty that did not seem to warrant a PP for the Blazers. There might have been an over-lap of PPs, but that does not mean that there was not PP chance for Kamloops.

Houck seems to be back and gaining momentum. His lack-lustre play to the start the season seems to be fading and he’s been a factor on the scoresheet the past few games. Tonight he got 1G, 1A. Popoff continues to roll as well, getting 1G, 1A in this one to add to his two PP markers in Seattle. Brett Kulak may have an off-game here and there where he tries to do too much, but lately he has been very solid at both ends and is most definitely an offensive threat on the blue-line. Kulak is finding the pocket and settling in. I am looking forward to seeing him continue to grow in skill and confidence. Ronning as well seems to be getting used to the Dub. A +2 in this one, he uses his small frame well as did his Dad and we can only hope he begins to get the same puck hunger and intensity Cliffy had in his hockey career.

The Giants head up to PG for two in two on a bit of a roll, ready to work for a couple of Wins versus the Cougars. I have been very happy with the effort as of late and if they are able to keep balance and control in their own end of the ice consistently they should be a factor in every game they play. I am not unrealistic and know they will still have a tough time versus the elite teams, but some solid performances versus teams in their current skill bracket, a few stolen games here and there and some strong full games versus the elite will pay dividends down the road.

Three Stars

1. Brett Kulak
2. Jackson Houck
3. Carter Popoff

Dondo’s Doghouse: a very marginal push into the doghouse for Joel Hamilton, who took some poor penalties and was the only minus player on the team.

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Payton Lee, finally getting some back-end support by his team on the back-check, he stopped some big chances late in the game to preserve a definitive win. Honourable mention to Kulak, Houck and Popoff who got the stars, but put the effort in throughout.