PDA

View Full Version : Zalitach for future picks

dondo
10-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Giants Add Two Draft Picks in Trade with Moose Jaw

The Vancouver Giants have traded defenceman Reid Zalitach to the Moose Jaw Warriors in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2015 Western Hockey League Bantam Draft and a third-round pick in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft.

The 17-year old Narol, Manitoba native played 54 games with the Giants over three seasons where he registered 7 assists and 18 penalty minutes.

"Reid is a great kid who deserves an opportunity to be a regular," said Giants' Executive Vice President and General Manager, Scott Bonner. "We wish him all the best and thank him for his time with our club."

The idea is that Zalitach will get to play more on a different team, but to be honest I don't think Hay gave him a chances. Steve Ewen and I had a twitter back and forth about this. I think he was under-utilized and should had been playing second pairing minutes with a defensive stalwart like Orban. Ewen was wondering about the other D and frankly I would send Dosanjh back down and alternate between Atwal and Osipov with Morrison on the third pairing.

That's all hindsight supposition as Zalitach is gone and Hay has never seemed to be a fan. I admit I saw better jump from the young D-man last season, but to deal him for two future picks 2015 fourth and 2016 third was a bit of a waste. Maybe we could have got a big roster player for him or something useful int he near future, but whatever I don't think it's a horrible deal, but I do think he has big upside which we never fully explored here.

He is from Manitoba, so maybe he wanted to be dealt to a place closer to home.

Giantsfan
10-29-2013, 07:15 AM
What it boils down to is guys wanna play & the guy wasn't, even though he had a minor injury. Kids who aren't playing are going to ask to be moved so they can play. I think Bonner got a decent return for a guy who wasn't playing.
He was out of a job because the other defense are better. Osipov is 17 & highly touted so he wasn't going to be traded. I think he's in Hay's doghouse but because he's from Russia & their 1st round pick, he's going to play. Morrison has been steady & the only other guys that leave is Atwal & Dosanjh, who I believe have a lot more upside than Zalitach so it was no surprise when this move happened. The Giants still have too many forwards & at least 1 extra dman. There will be more moves.

Giantsfan
10-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Don't get me wrong, I thought Zalitach skated well & has the chance to be a rushing dman, but I'm sure he wanted out because he knew he wasn't in Hay's plans even though I thought he has shown more skill than Osipov at this time.

johnnyradiant
10-29-2013, 12:56 PM
I thought the new rules regarding imports are that Osipov can't be traded? So it would stand to reason that we would only get rid of him if we need to clear the bench or dressing room with nothing in return.

Knuckles Muldoon
10-29-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm a little surprised the Giants gave up on Zalitach this quick, but his play so far this season has been disappointing. Maybe his play didn't project to be of a high enough level to invest more time in him. I could see that. It's pretty unclear what his upside really is, but he ought to be a decent Dman before all is said and done. The return is in the trade is unspectacular but decent, IMO.

dondo
10-30-2013, 12:03 AM
correct johnny.. Your euro pick cannot be traded in the same season he was selected. It's a new rule. So neither Eder nor Osipov can be traded, only released.

I agree knuckles. I suppose it was a numbers thing, but wouldn't you as a rebuilding team keep your young players and begin to deal your vets for better and more immediate return? Anyway I remember blazing speed and some serious puck skill from Zalitach last season and haven't really seen that this season so far.

I always hate to give up on a 17 yr old player with a skill-set, but I guess we have guys that duplicate what he brings, but I personally think Dosanjh is a spare part. I see very little from him that gets me excited, but then he doesn't seem to be a liability - again a 17 year old, but he can be the depth guy easier than Zalitach. And a hometown element.

johnnyradiant
10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of moving vets but I wonder about their impact. The media and management of not just the Giants seems to tell us how valuable a vet is, and when you look at how the Giants have started skating it does coincide with some veteran presence either Thrower or injuries. When we have been successful it has been with a good cross-section so I think they have to be careful with such a young team to not loose out. All that and I am not sure I like giving up on a youngen. I also feel I need to throw a little trust in what they are doing because they are there, it is their skillset and knowlege that got them there so if they want to trade Zalitach that's fine but if it appears to blow-up in their faces I chime right in from the stands jeering "I told ya so"

The problem with spare parts is we aren't the only one with spare parts, and Bonner adds to that hurdle by not winning over all the other GM's favour for them to want to play with him.