PDA

View Full Version : roster moves

RWAH
11-04-2013, 02:07 PM
from the Pats page
Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats Senior VP and GM Chad Lang announced today the team has reassigned defenceman Stephen Hak (’94) and forward Patrick D’Amico (’94) to Junior-A. Meanwhile the Pats have recalled 16-year old netminder Nicholas Schneider from the Leduc Chrysler Oil Kings of the AMHL.

Schneider was signed by the Blue and White after Training Camp and has already spent time with the team during the season when he was called up during the second week of the year. This season in the AMHL, Schneider features a 2-3-2 record for the Oil Kings to go with a 2.78 GAA and a 0.896 SV%.

Hak was acquired from the Red Deer Rebels last season and played in 73 games with the Blue and White tallying ten points (2G, 8A) and 32 penalty minutes. The Winnipeg, MB product has played in 129 career WHL games.

D’Amico played in 53 games for the Pats after making the team out of Training Camp last season. In 2013-14, the 19-year old forward had three points (1G, 2A) in 13 games in Regina.

The Pats thank Stephen and Patrick for their contributions to the hockey club and community and wish them the best going forward.

No surprise in the re-asignments but thought Schneider would develope more playing and not as a back up

RWAH
11-04-2013, 02:13 PM
another thought is that Schneider will get work with a tenders coach each day and if he is the future that will help his developement. So if having a goaly coach is better than playing time good on Nicholas

RWAH
11-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Onr more thought is: MacAuley has been backed up by a 19 or 20 year old that kept pressure on him as they were capable to be the starter. Its rare that a 16 year old can be your starter so I hope we do not see a slide in MacAuley's play

witness
11-04-2013, 02:29 PM
You knew that there was going to be some movement in that 19 year old age group. The Pats were scratching the 19 year olds to try to get the younger guys ice time. I think at the end of the day, Christoffer has proven to be a little more valuable to the team.

I am surprised with Hak. He is never going to be a top end guy, but he can eat up the 4th and 5th d minutes and not hurt you. I would have thought there would be some kind of a market for that type of player. And again reassigning Hak, allows more playing time for Reagan, Harrison and Mumby.

In just a few weeks Lang has transformed this team. Three of the biggest weaknesses going into the season were:
- subpar 20 year olds
- too many 3 and 4th line 19 year olds
- goaltending

With the transactions I think we have one of the better 20 year old group in the Eastern Conference. The 19 year old group is down to 5 (more reasonable for a rebuilding team). And the goaltending is improving. It will be an interesting road trip for the club.

patsdude114
11-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Hak is size we need plus I see him as a 20 next year.

I stayed away from commenting on this comment made earlier today mainly cause I didn't agree with it at all and didn't need to voice my opinion on it.

These moves come to no surprise at all, maybe alittle surprised with the the 16yr old backup coming but with that said im glad we are going to start grooming a 16yr old now between the pipes. He will have 2yrs of being a backup to MacAuley cause I really do see MacAuley being a 20yr old goalie for us, especially if he continues to progress like he has been.

Lang has never been afraid to improve our team and it goes to show again in the recent days/weeks. He is truly trying to build our team the best that he can. Anyone who thinks he is not a hockey guy and who was just in the right place at the right time needs to question there own hockey intelligence. He helped build MJ into a quality franchise which remained pretty strong for a few years after, although things are not so strong in MJ anymore with Millar since he is putting his stamp on the team.

Bighat
11-04-2013, 05:22 PM
You called the hak move but I don't like it, Williams to me is a liability on the ice every shift. Hak has a big body that can skate and is a perfect 5-6. I guess if we play the younger guys more then this will help the team down the road but if I see Williams dresses more then the young guys (waste). We still need to find a goalie for next year.

RWAH
11-04-2013, 07:24 PM
MacAuley is the goalie for next year

patsdude114
11-04-2013, 09:45 PM
We 5 19yr olds still on our roster, now baring any trades that bring in another 19yr old or sending 1 away our 19yr olds look like this

Stephenson
McCoy
Christoffer
Sinitsyn
MacAuley

Out of those 5, 3 are forsures to be back next season at training camp, MacAuley, Christoffer & McCoy.....MacAuley is a lock to be a 20yr old goalie next year, which we are going to need cause none of our goalie prospects will be ready to take the every day load of a starter in this league.

Stephenson there is very little chance of him being back as a 20yr old but then again he still isn't signed by WSH either who have until the day before the 2014 draft to sign him before he becomes a FA.... Same goes for Sinitsyn with DAL, Sinitsyn could come back as a 20yr old euro Dman which really wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if he was back. He moves the puck well & when he wants to compete (which is about 70-80% of the time) he is 1 of the better players on the ice on both teams. He needs to work on consistency before he goes to PRO hockey be it in North America or back in Russia.

One thing I do believe that is helping Williams keep a roster spot on this team is that he is a right handed shot, right handed defensemen are hard to come by, especially a good skating Dman like Williams. He like a lot of the Pats team needs to work on consistency. I do think (ok maybe hoping too) that with the addition of Zgraggen on our backend it is going to take away some minutes from both Burroughs & Williams, Williams imo is more suited for a 5th Dman, I feel Williams took a step backwards from the end of last season to the start of this season, hopefully he can get back to where he was last year soon. He did excel a lot playing big minutes night in and night out when our blueline was riddled with injuries.

I think our coaching staff needs to do some tinkering with the lines abit, our top line hasn't been so lights out lately. I think Klimchuk would be better suited with Leier, Stephenson & Stevenson together is still a good fit it will get other teams to focus on another line instead of just 1 line loaded up. Hunt, Gay & Maguire should be rotating thru the top 2 lines and seeing which fits best, each players brings something alittle different. A case could be made for Christoffer as well in that mix. McCoy & Hansen are good checking role players, Hansen may not have much of a scoring touch but the guy hasn't really hurt us at all since the trade, he plays his role very well my only beef with him is I wish they would stop making him take faceoffs he is terrible at it.

RWAH
11-05-2013, 02:57 PM
IMO Chad L has really strenghted our 20's, Has reduced our dearth of 19,s and established a strong tender for two years. One quarter through the season and we are in the midst of the playoff race, a lot better than the Canes. My worry is we need a strong draft in 2014 to support the strong draft of 2013. We do not, at present, have a 3rd, or 4th or 6th round pick in the 2014 draft. Some tweeking at the trade dead line or before could be a good thing but I hope we do not become wholesale buyers. In the last 20 years only once has a team below 3rd place competed in the final for the leagur championship, and that was 1999/00 4th place Kootney and they were 2 points out of 3rd place. The lesson is don't sell the farm to get to 6th place.

patsdude114
11-05-2013, 04:25 PM
I highly doubt Lang will move his 1st round pick this year, with the current picks we still have there is no reason why it still can't be a strong draft with a 1st & 2nd, those are players that really step in & are actually players more times then not.

Be interesting to see where we are at come trade deadline, does he take the risk of seeing Stephenson come back as a 20yr old on another team? He isn't signed as of yet & highly doubt it will happen during the season.

Fight Guy
11-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Like I said before, if they aren't in the top four in the conference, I expect them to move Stephenson and Stevenson. If they don't move at least one of them, I will be pissed off. Not saying a complete sell off, but both those players will be sought after come deadline and they should fetch a return we haven't seen around here in quite awhile.

patsdude114
11-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I don't think Stevenson would bring back much of a return unless Lang played hardball but Leier I think would bring back a better return & wouldn't need as much hardball to be played don't think.

The thing with Stephenson is there is a decent chance he would be back as a 20yr old & would be top 3 e0yr old easily. Not sure what kind of a chance Lang wants to take on him though for that to happen.

Bighat
11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
If we're sitting in a playoff position I don't see any moves, and my have the tunes changed around here on our goaltending. I think we need to find a 17-18 for next year I'm not sold on mcaully just yet, let's see hoe the west coast trip pans out first.

nivek_wahs
11-05-2013, 06:44 PM
If we're sitting in a playoff position I don't see any moves, and my have the tunes changed around here on our goaltending. I think we need to find a 17-18 for next year I'm not sold on mcaully just yet, let's see hoe the west coast trip pans out first.The US Trip scares me....

Jon Keen ‏@JonKeenNLSports 2h
Safe to say the WHL's US Division is having their way with Eastern Conf teams so far...a combined 21-2-0-1. They are 18-8-1 vs BC Div teams

I really don't have my hopes set too high. That's a crazy record vs the Eastern Conference. Hopefully the Pats can help change the numbers in the East's favour just a bit.

nivek_wahs
11-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Also with all the moves the Pats have made 18 games into the season Zgraggen will be the Pats 28th skater used in a game. That doesn't include the goalies. The Pats have dressed 6 goalies already and 4 have played in a game (it will be 5 when Schneider gets his first action, I counted MacPherson as he dressed as well). 34 players.... That's a lot of changes. And I would have to say that most of if not all of the changes have made the team better in one way or another.

Fight Guy
11-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Considering Stephenson's extended stay and getting pre-season play, I'm pretty confident he will be playing pro next season. Sure, he hasn't signed yet, but there's lots of time for that to happen. Really don't see him back in the league as a 20yo. If he was traded and did return next season, chances are the trade return would help that sting. Also, chances have to be taken, and if they are given a good to great offer for him, they should jump all over it. Otherwise it's a gamble the other way keeping him. Can see the Pats making the playoffs, ousted first round, and Stephenson doesn't return next season. Then all he will be is an addition to the list of players who could/should have been traded in the past years. Not to mention, if he is moved to a stronger team, his skills will show a lot more than we already see, which will help him out when the Capitals come knocking. I feel it's a bigger gamble keeping him around.

witness
11-05-2013, 07:08 PM
So if a team doesn't offer a top prospect or a first rounder, is it worth trading Stephenson??

Bighat
11-05-2013, 08:24 PM
No it's not.

sbtatter
11-05-2013, 08:56 PM
So if a team doesn't offer a top prospect or a first rounder, is it worth trading Stephenson??

Not if you're in line for a top 4 finish...If it looks like you're 7th or 8th, sell, sell, sell!!!!

RWAH
11-05-2013, 09:15 PM
If Stevenson was traded would there not be a conditional pick or picks if he plays as a 20 year old.
I agree that Leier may be of increased value than Dyson Stephenson.
Hope Chad L is of the same mind that you need to be top 4 to be a buyer.

patsdude114
11-06-2013, 09:49 AM
If Stevenson was traded would there not be a conditional pick or picks if he plays as a 20 year old.
I agree that Leier may be of increased value than Dyson Stephenson.
Hope Chad L is of the same mind that you need to be top 4 to be a buyer.

I don't know if you do this crap on purpose or if you really think that is there 1st names compared to how their last names are spelt. Anyways.....

Even if we are sitting in 4th come trade deadline, I'm still fully expecting the conference to be very tight from 3rd down to 8th or 9th, as tempting as it may be to add something it better be extremely cheap or its not worth it for us to grab another piece. Only thing I'd be happy with really is improving our 17yr old group, a guy like Pilon could do that but what's the price tag but then again with that idiot GM in LETH maybe Lang can pull a fast 1 on him & really talk up the trade to sound amazing or better yet find some bad pictures on him & use it to your advantageeveryone know KM has these pics on Mollenken.......

Also fightguy I'm really with you on the stephenson part, I don't see him back as a 20yr old. He did spend a long time up at NHL camp wwith preseason games so that has to say something for him, he has a shot at getting a WJ invite & on the night of that terrible rider night 2 scouts up by me were talking & the 1 said he fully expect Stephenson to be on the team cause he can play so many different roles. I thought that was abit of a surprise, I've never really thought of him as thaat elite status but then again every year he tended to get hurt for a long period of time.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-06-2013, 02:30 PM
I don't know if you do this crap on purpose or if you really think that is there 1st names compared to how their last names are spelt.

Are you of all people actually lecturing others on spelling, nevermind the correct spelling of names?

RWAH
11-06-2013, 04:35 PM
PD 114 you may get your wish. If I may use a first name? Lethbridge have sent "Ryan Pilon" home to await a trade at the players request. I am not sure we can afford a 2014 draft pick for him.

patsdude114
11-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Haha I've never once said my spelling was amazing, were talking about players that have been here 4+yrs, ya it can be an honest mistake but knowing that guy he does it to be funny (or try to) hate on me all you want for calling it out I truly don't care this is a fourm site to express your opinions, ill stress mine about his 'act to be funny' & you can stress yours about me all you want don't matter to me.......

Bighat
11-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Lethbridge is in trouble they need to sell that team or it will be moved to Winnipeg.

patsdude114
11-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Lethbridge is in trouble they need to sell that team or it will be moved to Winnipeg.

I do agree with you on this 1... rumours are Kris Versteeg is interested I buying the team, when that will happen who knows, most likely not until summer at the earliest. They do need to get rid of these community owned teams, most of these boards have no clue about hockey & just hire the cheapest applicants instead of the right hockey minds for the job.

One positive thing for the Canes though is tonight they do face the Pats and teams always tend to change things around against us.... last season the Blades exposed us twice before they went on there big winning streak and the year before (whenever Clouston was the Head Coach) BRN turned there season around after a big win against us just after the trade deadline. There has been others too but those are the most memorable 1's in my mind, maybe tonight is the game the Canes need to turn there season around.... god I hope its not at the expense of us....

patsdude114
11-06-2013, 07:14 PM
PD 114 you may get your wish. If I may use a first name? Lethbridge have sent "Ryan Pilon" home to await a trade at the players request. I am not sure we can afford a 2014 draft pick for him.

Its not really a wish to be honest was just more less a thought, I highly doubt we will end up with him anyways, but then again last year Merkley (who was also a very high draft pick) got traded to SC for next to nothing but also in his case he still isn't doing too much in SC either (still under 1pt/game) so who knows what will happen.

When a player walks out it always lowers the trade value, it kind of hoops the team who does own his rights...... but then again the kid himself doesn't give a crap what they will get for him as long as he isn't on the team anymore who cares right....It may be a bad way of thinking but its the truth, when your not happy somewhere you don't give a crap, im sure everyone of us has walked our/quit a job without giving 2 rats arses about that company anymore (I did it to Loraas Disposal & then told the owner where to go and how to get there later that same day on the phone when he called me...worst guy ever to work for)

RWAH
11-06-2013, 09:33 PM
listening to the game on Lethbridge radio and their comments on Pilton is a minimum 1 roster player, 1 promising prospect and a 1st round draft pick. but did mention that the price is lower because he is at home. They have an interview about this between the 2nd and 3rd.

patsdude114
11-06-2013, 10:05 PM
listening to the game on Lethbridge radio and their comments on Pilton is a minimum 1 roster player, 1 promising prospect and a 1st round draft pick. but did mention that the price is lower because he is at home. They have an interview about this between the 2nd and 3rd.

I think he is worth all that, 6'2 212lbs just don't think that price is worth it for the Pats. He would be a nice addition to our blueline but would prob only be a 2.5yr player I doubt he will be in the league as a 20yr old.... time will tell I guess who gets him, I wouldn't complain if we did get him but with as many picks as we have traded for this years upcoming draft I don't think this years 1st rd pick will be part of any trade for the Pats

Fight Guy
11-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Knowing Lethbridge though, they'll be dooped into letting him go for much less...lol.

Fight Guy
11-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Sacher's rights to Lethbridge for a 2015 5th rounder.