PDA

View Full Version : Bad Break for Pat's

Scout
07-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Matt Butcher, who was acquired in a pre-draft day trade by the Regina Pats from the Kamloops Blazers, will not be reporting to the Major Junior ranks.

Butcher, whose father Garth once played for the Regina Pats, committed to the University of Northern Michigan for the year 2006 earlier this weekend.

Butcher is a 1987 who tallied 27 goals playing for the Harvey Smyl coached Chilliwack Chiefs last season in the BCHL.

Scout

Number_4
07-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Where do you find out this stuff? Thats my job... but thanks... Anyways...

Both imports Kopitar and Hanzel are planning to stay in Europe, Kopitar has already committed to the Swedish Elite League. This may not be news to anyone, but Petr Klaus from the Czech Republic has been cleared to play in Canada. I think the Pats are holding out for Kopitar or Hanzel's future NHL team to tell them to play in NA for further development. It would be nice to get one of them over here in Regina... we need all the help we can get.

A quick reminder to Pats fans... training camp begins Aug.31!

Scout
07-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Hey Number4:

Sorry about posting on Butcher. I thought with his dad Garth having such a stellar career with Regina that he may have directed his son to play in Regina. To bad really.

As for the Euro's? With the N.H.L. and N.H.L.P.A. reaching a new C.B.A. and the season going to go, the pro teams will pressure their Euro draft picks to play over here. Now the N.H.L. still have to go thru their agents. If the agent says they should come over they may. The pro scouts want to see how their picks will play in a North American style of hockey. But the Euro teams have really raised what they pay to keep their stars in Europe. A year in junior in North America would go along way in their development to our style of play. The 72 game schedule, the tight checking, food, language, etc. are a big adjustment for them. Some pass thru this with flying colors, others faulter beyond belief. It a wait and see game as to who comes over.

Scout

Number_4
07-26-2005, 08:40 PM
I think that was why the Pats drafted Butcher in the first place. They thought he was a bit of a shoo-in because of his father. Unfortunatly, the prospect of getting a college education and having a hockey career at the same time is far more enticing(sp?) for some kids. I can understand the lures of college hockey, but I would think playing for the same team as his father did would count for something. You never know.

As for the Euro's, once they are drafted, teams will have a huge interest in furthering development, and there is no better place for that than the dub for that. I would think that the agent would rather see the kid suceed and develop than stay in Europe and have a harder time down the road. Of course, in some situations, money and pay do count for something. Other kids just cant adjust over here, whether it be to the style of play, or being that far from home.

I would love to see either player in Regina. Both Klaus (already cleared to play) and Hanzal are Czech, so the Pats may pursue him a bit more, and Hanzal hasnt signed with a club yet to my knowledge, he just wants to stay closer to home. Kopitar is already promised to a Swedish elite team, which would make it a bit more difficult for him to change his mind and come over.