PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 Tigers 2 - Nov 15th, 2013

dondo
11-16-2013, 04:13 AM
A good win against a tough team. Rathjen was a difference maker.

Giants Tame Tigers
Vancouver 3 Medicine Hat 2

The Giants have Jared Rathjen to thank for this win, as he was clutch when pressed. The Gs pressed hard in the first, scoring three goals and holding the Tigers off-the scoresheet. The reffing in the first was soft, but in the second and third it became ridiculous, calling ghost penalties on one side and ignoring the same thing on the other side. The Tigers found the score sheet on one of their many PP chances in the second. This gained them a bit of momentum for a time, but the G-Men battled back. In the third I thought the Giants got away from what made them successful earlier in the game. I was disappointed to see them forechecking less and sitting back more and it could have gone sideways if not for Rathjen. Weathering a bunch of penalties might have kept the Giants focused as they were forced to play in their own end more than they would have liked. The Tigers found twine later in the period, making things interesting for the final five minutes. The game finally culminated in a win for the home team and a line brawl at the buzzer.

The Giants opened the scoring just over 5 minutes into the game. It felt like the Giants of old, watching them crash the net and get to rebounds. Ty Ronning found twine from the slot. Carter Popoff and Brett Kulak got the assists. Jackson Houck scored on a Giants 5 on 3 PP, assisted by Cain Franson and Dalton Thrower. A couple of minutes later Dalton Sward found twine going hard from behind the net, determinedly chipping it over the goalie’s pad. Thomas Foster and Tim Traber had the helpers. The Tigers used a second period PP to get themselves on the scoresheet. They scored again in the second to make it close and then rattled a puck off the cross bar not long after that. The play was reviewed and deemed no goal. With seconds left and the goalie pulled the Tigers swarmed the Giants net and Rathjen was forced to rob Canucks prospect Hunter Shinkaruk of a goal and then Dylan Bredo with less than 5 seconds on the doorstep.

Team Notes: The Giants added a 19 yr old sniper from Junior B AJHL Wolverines to their line-up. Trace Elson was very fast and had a few forays, but he is still undersized and in my mind duplicates what we already have. If we keep this kid, we might as well get rid of Hamilton and Leone. I find this pick-up very odd as this is not a player who was holding out for a NCAA contract, Like Casey Pierro-Zabotel, he was a final cut from the Red Deer Rebels. He played 5 games for the Rebels in which he got one assist. I have nothing against this kid in particular, but I don’t see what he really brings that we don’t already have. With Ast gone for an extended stint on the IR I suppose he fills that gap. It’s one game so I will have to give him a chance to change my mind. Dalton Thrower was back in this one and seemed to be targeted by Pat Smith for cheap and cheesy penalty calls. Thrower was solid on the back end and had one assist.

Rookie Watch: Elson was okay playing fourth and some third line minutes as far as I could tell. I did notice his speed though, very quick on the blades. Looks like our two euros were scratches once again. I still don’t get it to be honest. Why draft them if we are not going to play them. The only way they will get used to our game is by playing. Anyway it’s two home games in two nights, so I suspect they will be back in the line-up for tomorrow’s tilt. Ronning had a good game tonight, a nice hungry goal and some good shifts playing with Houck and Popoff for the most part.

Fight Night: line brawl at the end of the game, but only one fight on the stats sheet Dalton Thrower v. Hunter Shinkaruk. After pulling Shinkaruk off some other players, Thrower demolished him with some hard punches, finally sending both of them to the ice. It took several minutes to get everyone to clear the ice surface.

Zebra Cage: Pat Smith and newbie Dexter Rasmussen. Awful, simply awful. Precious and weak, inconsistent and lop-sided. At the risk of being labelled a homer the Giants simply did not play a more undisciplined game than the Tigers. Invisible interference calls, nudges on the shoulder being called boarding and then the same happens at the other end of the ice and nothing. Smith was the biggest culprit, but sadly as the game went on Rasmussen started calling soft crap as well. I really hope he doesn’t think this is how a WHL game should be called, because the officiating was a mess.

The Giants barely out shot the Tigers 35-33, with both squads getting quality chances on net. The Giants went 1 for 3 on the PP, while the Tigers went 1 for 8. The Gs had great first period, but by the end had to hold on and were not as intense as they started. They matched well versus a top team in East and managed to shutdown the high flying offence of Shinakruk. The effort in their own end of the ice was excellent and when they did make a mistake, Rathjen was there to make some very tough stops.

Not a perfect game by any stretch, but I loved seeing that kind of effort in their own end and on the offensive side. It bodes well for future games. Thrower brought a stabilizing presence to the ice and Kulak had another solid outing. Sward seems to be getting more confidence as the season progresses and scored a gritty greasy Machacek-like goal tonight that is the sort of hockey he should be playing all the time. Traber and Foster had some good shifts playing on the third line as well.

The Giants PK was very good. They closed the gaps and covered the passing lanes, blocked shots and had several offensive forays short-handed. This game could have been a disaster had the Tigers found twine on more of their PP chances, especially since the calls were very weak all game long. I would have liked some more puck support by the boys and less individual forays in the third, but a good building game for the team. Sticking up for one another at end of the game was an important step as well.

The Giants have little time to bask in tonight’s win as they have the Tri-City Americans coming to town tomorrow. The boys will be wearing special White Spot jerseys, Tyler Benson will make his WHL regular season debut and it’s a special country night at the arena. I expect Lee will get the nod between the pipes. The Americans played tonight edging out the Pats 5-3 after leading 4-1 at one point in the game. The puck drops at the Coliseum at 7pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Jared Rathjen
2. Dalton Sward
3. Tommy Vannelli

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Dalton Thrower .. I liked his game and how the team gelled in their own end of the ice. A good assist and standing up for team mates at the end of the game. He has brought some real leadership to this team and very valuable on the ice and in the dressing room.

Priceisright
11-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks. I was sick so i missed the game :( seems like our goaltending has been quite a bit better of late?

Giantsfan
11-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Easily the most exciting game of the season. A bit of a lull in the second period was quickly forgotten for the excitement in the third. :phew:

I have to disagree with you, what a surprise :omG: I thought that was the worst game Thrower has played. He turned the puck over several times & took some bad penalties.

Hard hat award, without question goes to Jared Rathjen. He was the difference maker making countless great saves by his solid positioning. Sorry to say but if Lee was in, the Giants would have lost for sure.

I hate to beat a dead horse, :deadhorse: but this is why I have stated that Rathjen, at this point is a better goalie than Lee. Can Lee put on a clinic like Rathjen, if he can, he hasn't shown it.

Rathjen is imo, the first goalie since Morrison to steal a win.

I thought it was another gutsy, gritty effort from Mason Geertsen. I love the physicality he has finally brought to his game.:mad:

Great to see that brawl at the end. Especially since Shinkaruk started it. It was really satisfying to see him get no points & lose a fight. :Boogaard'd:

Lee's turn to shine.

Best part of the game, was fining out I won the autographed Kirk McLean jersey.:groovy:

Knuckles Muldoon
11-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Don has the team firmly headed in the right direction now, so I'm thinking that there will be no more gift ice-time for Osipov or especially Eder. We've bottomed out, Don has been through his exasperated phase, and the team is learning how to compete deep into games. If the two Euros can't keep up, they'll sit. Having a player like Elson come in is a shot across the bow of someone like Eder. The way it's looking, if either of them don't get Don's confidence and soon, I'd be surprised if at least one of them didn't return to the team after Christmas. C'est la vie. I'm liking the team's current grit level just fine.

Giantsfan
11-16-2013, 01:54 PM
I would be surprised if Benson & Eder didn't play together. Eder needs a skilled player to play with.

I'm sure Eder won't be here all season. He's been a non factor all season.

Cooke is still 2 wks away & Ast doesn't have an update on his shoulder but he could be gone a while.

When did the Giants release Trzonkowski?

dondo
11-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Trzonkowski is on extended IR that I know of, I don't believe he's been dropped. I noticed he's not being listed on the game sheet anymore and I don't see him in the roster on the Giants website, so I am not sure.

The penalties Thrower took were (mostly) not penalties - Pat Smith had him in his sights in the game.

I get that Knuckles and agree to a point, but with top pick in the euro draft to get yet another set of euros not willing to show up is getting rather tiring. I'd rather see us picking up 18 and 19 yr olds who can make an impact.

Both Eder and Osipov are 17 yr olds (normally a euro player will not come over until they are older), so that has to be taken into account. Also with the new rules, euro players in the year they were drafted may not be traded so we either have to release them or hold onto them for the year. very disappointed in Eder with 3 pts in 19 games is not acceptable. So the coaching staff must be pulling their hair out.

I was liking Atwal last night and thought his progression for a 17 yr old was pretty good and then I realized he was 18 and I was not so enamoured. He did lose most of a season to injury so he's still on developing though, so meh.

Elson was very fast, but really he played as well as what I would expect from a younger player, not a 19 yr old. I put he and Hamilton in the same category, undersized 19 yr old forwards who really bring no extra level of impact you expect from your vets. I like Hamilton's effort a lot better these days and Elson might have potential, but I still shake my head as to why we signed him.

We still need skill AND size right now - so if we are going to poach the lower leagues we need to get what we need, or not make the move. Getting another older 5'10" player who doesn't play with grit or hunger is not where we as a team are lacking.

Thrower was doing the little things well last night I felt, but then I was just happy to see him back in the line-up. Geertsen had a solid game for sure.

I expect Lee will get the nod against the Americans tonight and you might be right we probably would not have won that game had Lee been in net, but that is also supposition. The numbers don't really lie and both players have remarkably similar GAAs and SV% - neither are over .900 - so if we are going to ride a veteran, either get a better veteran or let the young kid play.

Right now the balance is good and I do not begrudge Rathjen 40% of the games this season, but playing the young up and comer less than Rathjen makes no sense for the team or the future.

I believe Ryan Kubic will make the jump next season from what I saw in camp this year and Lee as an 18yr old and Kubic as a 16yr old would be a good balance and fit, but only if Lee gets enough starts to gain confidence in his starting abilities this season.

Lee had a great game versus Everett, esp handling the puck, but it was a rookie error handling the puck which was his downfall in OT. It will happen with young goalies still learning their craft at this level. It is a season we can afford to have a few tough losses like the one in Everett to make the whole group hungrier, more responsible and better down the road.

Now should Lee get a free pass if he stinks up the joint? Of course not, but neither should he be thrown under the bus after a poor outing. He needs to be kept hungry, but the team has to play this season for future seasons as we are just not competitive enough this year or deep enough to challenge top teams consistently.

This remains a rebuilding/growing year. It's a fine balance of younger players and vets with enough wins that they do not get too discouraged, but are not getting complacent either.

I loved how hard they played versus the Tigers and in spite of big adversity holding on their three goals from the first for the win, but we also have to understand that it was an anomaly for this squad. On the whole the team is moving in the right direction and it's looking more and more like Hay coached team and less like a bunch of also-rans scared to forecheck or go to the net.

dondo
11-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Best part of the game, was fining out I won the autographed Kirk McLean jersey.:groovy:

sweet -- can you tell me why there was a 'C' on the jersey though? I found that odd, but good on ya for the win

Giantsfan
11-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Not sure why that was. I'm going to take it off but it's going in a jersey case my wife bought for me 2 Xmas's ago. Been looking for the right jersey for the case & got it now.

I would prefer to go right back with Rathjen but Hay said Lee is going to play. I would ride the hot hand but Lee does need to play, & this is his chance to rise to the level Rathjen played at last night.

I thought Elson was fast, but overall, is he going to add a lot that Hamilton doesn't? I think they are two of the same. Hamilton's point totals seem a tad low for this point in the season.

Thrower getting a double minor for highsticking was the right call considering the guy was cut.

I agree, the Giants still need size, especially up front.

The Bonner's were in Med Hat last night & I believe Kamloops tonight scouting some players I guess.