PDA

View Full Version : Giants 5 Cougars 6 OT/SO - Nov 29th, 2013

dondo
11-30-2013, 01:02 PM
No lack of goals in this one. Giants need to learn how to shut the door. But no lack of effort. Rough night for Houck. One of those valuable learning games though.

Cougars Scratch Giants
Vancouver 5 Prince George 6 OT/SO

Lots of good in this game, but the boys need to be better at shutting the door down the stretch. It was great to see Dalton Sward score a hat-trick. Penalties in this one were very minimal with two coming in the first and two coming in the third. The Giants had three PP chances, scored on two and notched a SH’d goal on PG’s only PP. The Cougars created a saw-off on that man-advantage as they were 100% on their PP chances, going 1 for 1. Not sure if the refs were letting them play or simply letting everything go. The home town fans were treated to an up and down tilt though, with a shootout win.

Arvin Atwal opened the scoring for the Giants on the PP 2:17 into the game. Tyler Morrison had the lone helper. Dalton Sward scored a short-handed marker just before the mid-way mark of the period. The Cougars responded the next shift still on the PP. The Cats tied it up in the second. Sward got the lead back a few minutes later assisted by Thomas Foster and Brett Kulak. The Cougars tied it up again just before the end of the middle frame. PG got their first lead of the game early in the third. The Giants used a rare PP chance to knot it up at 4s. Kulak found twine off of Popoff and Thrower. The Giants re-took the lead just past the mid-way point of the third. Sward scored his hat-trick marker, assisted by Tim Traber and Blake Orban. Late in the period the Cougars found the back of the net to force OT. Shots were even in OT as the game had to be decided in the shootout. Cain Franson scored on his chance but it was the only goal the Giants would get as they went down 2 goals to 1 in the skill competition.

Team Notes: I picked up a Sward White Spot sweater the other night from the throwback sweater night the Giants had and got him to sign it for me after the Seattle tilt. Thanks Dalton and hope it motivated you to this hat trick outing. Keep it up, all you need is effort and some confidence to be a difference-maker.

The Giants managed 51 shots on Ty Edmonds, scoring 5 goals against but they could not hold onto their leads and cash in the W. The Cats had 35 shots on Payton Lee, notching 5 of their own in regulation. The Giants went 2 for 3 on the PP, while the Cougars were 1 for 1, coughing up a SH’d marker before making one of their own count. Jackson Houck had a rough night, carrying a –4 on the evening and on the ice for every Prince George even-strength goal against. Not sure if it was bad luck or lack of effort, but it’s never a stat you want to see beside your name in the game-sheet, especially when all of the other columns contain zeros. I did not see or hear this game, so I have no idea the flow or dynamics in the game. By the stats it appears to be have been a back and forth battle, but the decided lack of penalty calls makes me think that the emotional barometer was running low.

The Giants play another PG tilt tonight. I expect Prince George native Jared Rathjen will get the start in the second of the back-to-back. The puck drops at CN Centre at 7pm PST.

Three Stars

1. Dalton Sward
2. Peter Kosterman
3. Chase Witala

Dondo’s Hardhat: goes to Sward - for his hat-trick outing and first star honours