PDA

View Full Version : Osipov sits again

Giantsfan
12-04-2013, 02:08 AM
I believe we've seen the last of Osipov. He's sat for four straight games & I'm sure he won't return after Xmas. Why would he want to return?

Seems like Hay never gave the guy a chance & maybe it's better that the Giants don't even bother with the Euros as it's been a complete disaster for 5 years.

dondo
12-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I expect he'll play tonight in the second game of a back to back. I agree. If you don't want young project euros them don't draft young project euros. Draft a bonafide NHL prospect drafted by an NHL team in the higher rounds, especially if you have near the top pick. he'll have more of Don's respect and an NHL squad pushing him.

The revelation that the first KHL pick is actually the equivalent of a fifth round KHL pick, due to teams being able to protect their top talent was an eye-opener. It's clear to me the Giants euro scouting sucks and they need to trust an NHL team's scouting over their own. Also, how many players were unwilling to come here who could have drafted. I suspect the Giants use a scouting service across the pond to make their recommendations and you know what. IT'S NOT WORKING TOIGO and BONNER - NOT WORKING - got it?

Swando
12-04-2013, 06:38 PM
It's all to do with the players agents! nothing more. Agents usually do not like dealing with Vancouver because of Don Hay and his system.. His player learn the defensive side first. That does not sit well for an agent who wants a goal scorer for a client!!. Higher the NHL draft position - they more $ in his jeans! It is also my understanding that Hay picked Eder from seeing him at the under 18 and Toigo and Quinn were involved in choosing Osipov.
I believe the Giants have used the same agent for Repik, Bizznak, Tvardon.. I believe it is Johansson.

It makes sense to hear that Osipov would actually been a 5th round. He is a project and may be willing to learn from the Giants.

Knuckles Muldoon
12-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Maybe the time is coming when the Giants will forgo Euros altogether.

Giantsfan
12-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Gerry Johansson is Tvrdon's agent that is true. He also has Getzlaf as a client.

The Giants first selection was a kid who went to the OHL because he didn't want to play in the WHL.

Osipov didn't play in the back to back with PG. They seem happier to go with Dosanjh over Osipov.

The Giants trusted the Canucks to get a goalie from him & he bailed so it's not a guarantee that a Euro drafted by an NHL club will play here.

Swando
12-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I would like to see the whole import draft scrapped. They have started it with the goalies so why not add defensemen then forwards the following year! lol

dondo
12-05-2013, 01:49 AM
He played and looked alright. Admittedly the bar is currently pretty low, but I saw some good positioning, a few nice passes and some shots get through traffic. After sitting for awhile it was good to see him back on the ice and at least be given a chance.

Swando
12-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Osipov looked very good tonight . He took a couple of his men heavily into the boards and cleared his position well. Good to see him getting his chance.