PDA

View Full Version : Orban traded

Priceisright
01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Blake Orban was traded to Edmonton for 2nd round pick.

Patrick Robins
01-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Happy for Orban, sad for the Giants. Great dmen often get few accolades and he has been a big part of the turnaround IMO. He won the Giants plus-minus award last year and is tough as nails.

Don would never use Orban on the PP and that always confused me. This season he has more even strength points than Thrower and was known as a point getter as a prospect. He definitely grew into being a top D man in the league with the Giants. Good deal for Edmonton..... Van continues to build for future.

johnnyradiant
01-02-2014, 06:39 PM
They need to continue building if they want to be true contenders for Toigo's contention to host the Mem. Cup.

Lucic
01-02-2014, 07:07 PM
No surprise as he was being coveted by a few different teams for a long time now. He can play closer to home and be on the same team as one of his best friends Mitchell Moroz. I wish the Giants could get something more than just another bantam pick (they have so many as it is) but a 2nd round pick is good value for Orban. This move also helps reduce the large quantity of 19 year old's on the Giants roster. Don't get me wrong I'm not implying I wanted him to be moved I just knew something was going to happen and it seemed likely he would be the odd guy out. Either him or Atwal. With Atwal being younger I figured the Giants would keep him.

It's also worth noting Orban asked to be traded. Bonner makes note of that in the official press release.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-02-2014, 09:04 PM
I'll admit I'm a little disappointed with this move as Blake was a reliable meat-and-potatoes defenceman. He always played within his capabilities and added much-needed toughness the last few years. I thought he would have been a reasonable candidate to be back next year as a OA. A little surprised he asked for the move, but it shouldn't be a crushing blow to this group. Hopefully this means the team has committed to Atwal, Dosanjh and Osipov for the long haul. And with the glut of 19 yo's, the move of Orban certainly makes sense in that way. It's likely another one or two could be gone before the deadline.

dondo
01-03-2014, 12:44 PM
I'm disappointed in a few ways. First I think Orban would have been a very good keeper as a 20 yr old - except for the fact that Kulak will be our 20yr old D next year - if he doesn't make the jump to the next level. Second he is one of the few D-men on our roster who is very comfortable playing a shut down game in his own end of the ice. And third I think a second (esp a late round second) is too little in return for a quality #4 defenseman who is never going to hurt you. I also personally have always been a fan even through his growing pains you could see a quality player there willing to do the work.

All that said he is 19 yr old player on a "rebuilding" team that has too many 19 yr olds. Although we definitely could spare a 19 year forward or two to give the young guys more playing time. I think we lose a bunch of stability with this roster move and I don't trust Morrison or Dosanjh to fill that gap.

Orban is from Calgary though so he'll be playing closer to home so that's good for him. I just think the Giants might regret this move.

Swando
01-03-2014, 01:04 PM
He wasn't coming back after the Christmas break unless Bonner would promised him that he would be moved. When you have your back against the wall in a trade you rarely get full value. I think he would have garnered more than a late 2nd round pick if it was nearer the dead line and teams are sorting our their chances. I would not be surprised if this pick is used to pick up a forward in the near future.

Priceisright
01-03-2014, 06:42 PM
When is trade deadline? It's sometime in late January?

Thanks

Swando
01-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Last year it was January 10th so unless things have changed it must be around that time again.

Priceisright
01-03-2014, 08:08 PM
Oh, ya I thought it was surprisingly early. I think your right. Not far away.

Lucic
01-03-2014, 08:33 PM
I think many of you are undervaluing a 2nd round pick. Keep in mind we got Thrower for a 2nd round pick. There is a huge gap of skill and value between Thrower and Orban. I realize Edmonton (in all likelihood) will have Orban for a year and a half (as opposed to just one season as in Thrower's case) but I still think that is decent value. I would have preferred receiving another player but it seems that wasn't going to happen.

Knuckles Muldoon
01-04-2014, 03:43 PM
I think many of you are undervaluing a 2nd round pick. Keep in mind we got Thrower for a 2nd round pick. There is a huge gap of skill and value between Thrower and Orban. I realize Edmonton (in all likelihood) will have Orban for a year and a half (as opposed to just one season as in Thrower's case) but I still think that is decent value. I would have preferred receiving another player but it seems that wasn't going to happen.

Apart from the decision to trade Orban, the 2nd round pick is certainly adequate compensation.

dondo
01-04-2014, 06:50 PM

We gave up a second round pick for an over-age player that most likely would would not be playing back in the Dub. It was a risk that paid off in spades and we do not have as competitive a team without him.

I personally see someone like Orban garnering a second and a body, but then I am admittedly not the best at judging player's worth and usually feel we could have gotten more in most of Bonner's deals. A solid 19 yr old stay at home D who you will get you an overage year as well. But then he asked for a trade and gets to play closer to home and our 18 year old D get a chance at moving up the depth chart.

Lucic
01-04-2014, 10:55 PM
We gave up a second round pick for an over-age player that most likely would would not be playing back in the Dub.

I completely disagree with that. I had pretty much zero doubt Thrower would be returned to junior (as I indicated many times throughout the off season). I believe the Giants had a strong feeling he would be back as well. Sure there was always that potential he could end up signed and playing in the AHL but there were many more factors suggesting he would most likely be back in junior.

Either way I think a 2nd round pick is more than fair for Orban. I would have preferred receiving another player instead but I'm assuming Bonner made the best move he was offered.