PDA

View Full Version : The Second Half -- 2013-14

Wapitikev
01-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Time to reflect on the year so far and see how we did compared to last year.

On Dec 31, 2012 after 38 games, the Raiders were 0.607 with 24W 11L 0OTL 3SOL.

Pretty good record.

But, the cracks were beginning to show, with a powerplay that was hovering around the worst in the league and the team going 0.500 before Christmas after being just shy of 0.700 in the previous month.

Then came 2013.

After Jan1, in 34 games, the team went 0.441 with 13W 17L 3OTL and 1SOL. The powerplay finished worst in the league. The team lost 4 straight to Red Deer in the first round.

Cue 2013/14.

As of December 31, 2013, the Raiders have played 39 games and own a record of 0.539 with 20W 17L 2OTL and 0SOL. Their powerplay is 3rd in the league.

Not bad for the 1st half...but the Raiders had a disappointing 3 wins in 11 games for a record of 0.272 in December.

So, the first 1/2 was worse (record-wise) than last year's first 1/2 but far better than the 2nd 1/2.

Since Christmas some trades have been made, the team is 0.800 and is looking forward to their 5 regular players returning from international play.

Can the Raiders go over 0.500 for the rest of the season? Can they win the Division title?

Time will tell the tale...

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
01-08-2014, 02:02 PM
The boys really missed Leon and Josh last night. And Leverton in for Zaharizchuk turned sour on the team as well.

The team sits at 0.660 since X-mas, but has only 1 win in their last 3 games. 0 for 4 on the powerplay last night against the conference leaders, they are 0 for 7 since January 1st. The full game effort they displayed in their first 3 games back, after the break, was not in evidence in the last three games, despite being enough for a win against Lethbridge and playing a tired Calgary team that was on their 3rd game in 4 nights.

Some bright-spots were evident, however. Once again, the younger Mackenzie played better (albeit with fewer minutes) than the older one. Brooks tallied another goal to stay over a point/game since the trade. Valcourt, laying prone on the ice, had an amazing Ovechkin-esque shot go off the bar, and Andrlik got his first goal of the season.

Beginning Friday, 6 of the next 7 games are against division opponents: Brandon (x2), Saskatoon, Regina and Swift (x2 with a Red Deer game in between). Game 3, 4, and then 5 against Swift current all take place on consecutive nights, so the team will be tired facing the division leaders on the 19th.

The team's performance from the 10th to the 24th could easily set the stage for the rest of the season, good or ill.

A 7 game sweep would be an excellent start to the playoff push.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
01-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Awesome trade! I was looking at Craig last night. Colour me happy!

Regarding the Swift Current game on the 19th, just looked at the Bronco's schedule before that game.

They play 3 in 3 nights as well, and they are away to Brandon Friday, home to play Kootenay on Saturday and then travel to PA on the Sunday against us.

So they'll be at least as tired as we will.

Hope springs eternal!

-Wapitikev

Sttop
01-11-2014, 10:51 AM
morrissey and Lange really struggled last night. Morrissey basically gave up a break away to take a 2 on 1 away that gave Brandon there 1st goal. 2nd goal was from Lange pinching . I haven't seen them so rattled. Chevy played a strong game. Valcourt will figure out that while playing with leon he needs to be ready to shoot . Craig added a much needed demension to the back end. And looked good on pk pp and even strength. Guhle might be strong more often now. I thought big mac was better then:frog: coughlan as well. Hope we take 2 more points tonight

Wapitikev
01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
No McBride on Saturday.

Disappointed.

-Wapitikev

shop2
01-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Right now this team does not look like a playoff team let alone a playoff contender. This coach was brought in to win. A better team then last year and a worse record Is it time to can the coach and let someone else try to salvage a playoff berth

Landon
01-19-2014, 03:21 PM
Right now this team does not look like a playoff team let alone a playoff contender. This coach was brought in to win. A better team then last year and a worse record Is it time to can the coach and let someone else try to salvage a playoff berth
Agreed, Clouston hasn't held one player accountable for poor play. Braid has been absolutely horrendous to watch then Clouston rewards him with an "A" on his jersey!!!!! Braid hasn't shown any leadership and he sure doesn't stick up for teammates against other teams. Gennaro, Zaharichuk and Guhle are some of the Raiders more exciting players to watch and Clouston has them sitting in the stands.

radrguy
01-19-2014, 08:30 PM

Start by canning Campese. This guy hasn't done a thing. Now with the possibility of Morrissey and Draisaitl both making the NHL next year, we can look forward to the start of a new "five year plan". I quit supporting this team when they hired the unproven junior B GM and by the looks of things, I'll be saving more money.

patsdude114
01-19-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't think you can put much blame on Campese, he went out & upgraded your teams situation with some 20yr olds, he made a good trade with CGY aas Brooks will likely be back as a 20yr old next season where Winther will prob be stuffed away in the ECHL or if he's lucky in the AHL in a 4th line role.

Ya he made maybe a questionable trade to get a 20yr old goalie for a prime prospect but that kid from all understandings said he wouldn't report to PA, maybe that's the scoutings problem but in all reality they prob could of made a better trade with that prospect at trade deadline so yes that trade I'll blame Campese on. But in all fairness he has made trades to better the team & the coach canet things together.

It would be a big hit to the Raiers next year if Morrissey & Drasidal (prob spelt that wrong sorry) went pro hopefully for you Raider fans they turn it around & get into the playoffs (as long as it not at the expense of the Pats). Just remember its all about the match-up come playoff time so maybe you guys get into the playoffs in a favourable setup to advance.

chalk_one_up
01-19-2014, 09:40 PM
Maybe too many trades upset the chemistry? Or enter the Cory Clouston effect? Ask Brandon fans how that experiment went.

hockeynut
01-19-2014, 11:54 PM
I agree thats what happened last year things were going good then the trades happened and the chemistry was gone went down hill from there and it happened again the team is lacking work ethic which i thought the new coach was strong on players are not giving a 100% knowing the will be right back out i was disappointed this summer when i heard the raiders released santucci i enjoyed watching him play always gave 100% was never given a chance looked him up hes playing jr hockey in the bchl has 19 goals 18 asst in 40 games i hope the raiders find a way to turn things around

ELL
01-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Fire the assistant coach, must be his fault.

shop2
01-20-2014, 11:01 AM
Time for a house keeping. Get rid of the trash Cory clueless can get out of here for good. Bruno should do the honourable thing and go back to the lower mainland where he wants to be anyway it's a shame what he has done with this club his 5 year plan has been a disaster. 1st round pick for a 20yr old jr B backup quality goalie is probably one of raiders all time worst trades. It ranks up there with leaving VN Impe unprotected in the expansion draft or Brule for Gauthier years ago there was a reason Cory Clueless got dumped in Brandon Where the hell is McFee to own up to his mess. I wish he would show the same concern with this team as he does with prisoners meal plans

BillyBean
01-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Well.... The Raiders are 22-22-2-0 with 46 pts good for 9th spot in the Eastern Conference.

Back on October 15 of this year I questioned the early performance of the Raiders and how it related to the systems and direction of CC. I was mildly chastised (maybe rightly so) by Wapitikev for my opinions and was told that the sky was not falling. At that time Wapitikev predicted a 96 point season and East Division title for the Raiders based on the Raiders winning percentage. As much as I wanted him to be right for the Raiders sake, they would now have to win 25 of the remaining 26 games to achieve his predicted 96 point total.

There is no question in my mind that the Raiders have had the potential (even more so now with trade additions) to be a successful team.

I am interested in getting opinions as to what happened to get us to our current 9th place spot. Where do people think we will go in the next 26 games. This team was once ranked 2nd in the country but now has not been in the CHL top 10 in some time. What happened? Is coaching the issue? Is it the systems? Are these even to blame? Looking at Calgary, Edmonton, Kelowna, Portland - what is a reasonable expectation for the Raiders with 26 games remaining.

Is the recent 3 game performance (topped off by a 7-0 loss to SC) indicative of CC having lost the team. Would a coaching change (giving it over to Leonard or Manson) lead to improvement this year? Is it a requirement in order to prevent further draft picks from failing to report to PA. Should a change have been implemented sooner?

Sttop
01-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Imo clouston has lost the room. Yesterday in the paper he called out both goalies. McBride has not played in a game since Dec 13th . how can he be at fault for being rusty. Chevy has played a ton in the last 2 months so fatigue is prob a factor as well. But Cory had parentau called up and never let him see the ice. What does it hurt to give him a couple games. Worst case scenario he fails . best case he gives you another option. On a positive note I am very impressed with the work Manson has done with big mac. Imo he was one of the better dmen the last 2,games. In regards to coaching I would like to see Leonard running the game. Keep clouston behind the scenes for the year and bring in a young assistant coach. Maybe one of the alumni that is still around like seitsenen

puckdad
01-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Goaltending has been an obvious issue. Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time and not have traded away Eric Williams to Spokane. With such a high price paid to acquire Cheveldave, the team was stuck with him despite his sub-par performance. Probably should've eaten some crow early in the year when the writing was on the wall that he wasn't the player he was built up to be. Maybe tried to salvage a mid-round pick or some type of return that didn't look like we traded a 1st round pick for nothing. It's not just that he's not making saves, it's the timing of the goals & type of momentum-sapping goals that are scored. You can see the energy just sucked out of the whole team. Almost like the Holowenko/Lee-Knight year.

Clouston remains an enigma to me. He was brought to this franchise to win the close games, and engineer a play-off team, despite the baggage he was purported to have from his time in Brandon. He obviously has an analytical hockey mind, and for someone who was reported to be not very media-friendly, he has offered some very insightful comments regarding the team and players and some informative interviews. His practices emphasize defensive structure & team play, and he's not afraid to whistle down a drill and have it run correctly, but he makes zero use of his assistant coaches. They are nothing more than glorified puck-retrievers, and I think the players sense that. There is no question whose team this is, for better or for worse. If you make a point of this being "your team", then you can take all the credit for it's success, but you also have to accept all the blame when the team performs poorly. While we admire "attention to detail" in a proven winner, it comes across as as controlling and stifling in a loser. I think there is likely an element of OCD in his personality that he's not able to control. That leads to the players doing strictly what they are told or coached to do on the ice, and afraid to do anything creative, spontaneous, or innovative with the puck. The team and its systems become completely predictable, and as they try harder to play that rigidly controlled & structured game that they are coached to do, they actually become easier to play against. They execute their systems better, but with less favorable results, because other teams can anticipate what they're going to do. Billy Bean questioned the team's systems, and whether they were a suitable complement to the individual & collective player's abilities. I don't necessarily agree that they are using the wrong systems, but good coaches allow for some individual play and creativity within the structure of their systems, and that is what is completely lacking right now.

I don't think that they will make a coaching change this season, but if they don't go on a run and make the playoffs, then it is very likely the end of the road in terms of ever coaching again in this league, or anywhere, for Cory Clouston. Likely the same scenario for Bruno, as he is the architect of this team. The next 2 months could very well determine the futures of at least 2 people, if not more.

Wapitikev
01-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Well.... The Raiders are 22-22-2-0 with 46 pts good for 9th spot in the Eastern Conference.

Back on October 15 of this year I questioned the early performance of the Raiders and how it related to the systems and direction of CC. I was mildly chastised (maybe rightly so) by Wapitikev for my opinions and was told that the sky was not falling. At that time Wapitikev predicted a 96 point season and East Division title for the Raiders based on the Raiders winning percentage. As much as I wanted him to be right for the Raiders sake, they would now have to win 25 of the remaining 26 games to achieve his predicted 96 point total.

...Please be accurate. On May 3rd I predicted that the Radiers would get at least 80 points this year. I reiterated that prediction on September 16th and also stated that 80 points could give them a chance at a Division banner.

My post on October 15th was simply multiplying the teams record, at that time, by 72 games. At no time did I say that I believed they would actually get 96 points...just that it was mathematically possible if they continued to play at that rate.

My point was that it was only 10 games in, and far too early to pass judgement on anything.

It is now 46 games in and is NOT too early to pass judgement on things...we just went .222 for the last 18 games. That's 1/4 of the season.

Something is obviously not going right...I leave it to others to decide what that is and what to do about it.

The players have to play the games. I sincerely hope that the players do what they need to do to turn their season around.

-Waptitkev

Wapitikev
01-21-2014, 04:02 PM
...and 80 points would be .654 (or 17 wins) in the last 26 games.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
01-21-2014, 04:44 PM
and 80 points would be .654 (or 17 wins) in the last 26 games.

I love that you're eternally optimistic & relentlessly positive. I suppose .654 is possible, but they've got that grinding US Road Trip in February. I'll still be cheering for the team come March 15 in Saskatoon. Hopefully long past that.

Dwight Schrute
01-21-2014, 07:14 PM
Is it really a surprise anymore ?

observe
01-21-2014, 10:38 PM
"Goaltending has been an obvious issue. Wouldn't it be nice to go back in time and not have traded away Eric Williams to Spokane. With such a high price paid to acquire Cheveldave, the team was stuck with him despite his sub-par performance."

As the old man of a goalie from years past, I watch a different game than most. I keep track of all the kids who are tenders on the Sask teams, have for years, and will continue to do so. I also think your team erred this season. Desautels is currently rated 8th in the entire CJHL. The team web page reports he was the "Player of the Month" for Dec posting 6-2-2SO, .938sv%, 1.63GAA and 3 1st stars. Yes of course the BCHL is not the WHL---but given the opportunity........?????

Sttop
01-22-2014, 07:12 AM
Andy wasent a WHL goalie . every other team had (and has) a chance to pick him up and haven't . I do think it would be a wake up call to the goalies if they brought up parentau to start 2 games though

Wapitikev
01-22-2014, 10:11 AM
...we just went .222 for the last 18 games.

Correction. We went 0.278 for the last 18 games. I missed a win in there.

-Wapitikev

Sttop
01-22-2014, 06:03 PM
Andy wasent a WHL goalie . every other team had (and has) a chance to pick him up and haven't . I do think it would be a wake up call to the goalies if they brought up parentau to start 2 games though

And parentau to start tonight. Let's hope he's the answer

chalk_one_up
01-22-2014, 10:45 PM
http://www.shipmentoffail.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/failboat.jpg

observe
01-22-2014, 11:26 PM
"Andy wasent a WHL goalie . every other team had (and has) a chance to pick him up and haven't . "

Red Deer-5 PA-0 Hmmm, your guys are? Maybe the kid likes playing on a winning team?
It appears Regina having the same tendy troubles

Wapitikev
01-23-2014, 09:11 AM
Anyone worrying about the goalie is missing the point.

The team had 155 shots on goal in the last 4 games. They have 3 goals to show for it.

How many goals does a goalie score?

-Wapitikev

Sttop
01-23-2014, 10:06 AM
To me its 3 things . 1) the team is snakebit. No bounces no luck . you would think with all those shots that 1 would hit someone in the arse and go in. 2) the 19 year old forwards forget how to score. I can't remember the last time a 19 played a great game , other then perreaux a couple games ago. Danyluk has been horrible in all aspects. He isn't pressuring on the pk which gives the other team way to much time to set up . what's worse then our pp struggling ? Our pk being brutal . valcourt hasent helped the team in any way either. It seems like every mistake Lange makes ends up in our net as well. 3) the coaching . everything from his systems to who he plays and where they play are not working. Take the bronco game for instance. The leading scorer for the raiders head to head against the broncos is gennero... He sat in the bleachers that game. The passive trap he coach's is awful. Pressure the play , make there defence dump the puck off the glass to you...then attack. Its frustrating but here's to hoping the boys turn it around. Its time to hit the panic button

Sttop
01-23-2014, 10:13 AM
"Andy wasent a WHL goalie . every other team had (and has) a chance to pick him up and haven't . "

Red Deer-5 PA-0 Hmmm, your guys are? Maybe the kid likes playing on a winning team?
It appears Regina having the same tendy troubles

They weren't having goalie issues in pa. Wapple was great

Wapitikev
01-23-2014, 10:22 AM
They weren't having goalie issues in pa. Wapple was greatAgreed.

BillyBean
01-23-2014, 03:16 PM
The following quotes are from CC June 3, 2013 article from PA Herald:

“I don’t think I would have accepted the offer if I didn’t think we could win,” Clouston said. “We do have some areas that we need to improve on but every team does … Our goal and objective is to continue to move this team forward and I think we have a really good nucleus of players.”

“My goal is to pass that knowledge and experience onto the players, and again, to create a situation where not only do we win right now but for a few years to come,” Clouston says.

“Watching the team play last year, if there was a deficiency, I thought at times they weren’t as good defensively as they need to be,” Clouston says. “I really liked the team in the offensive zone; they still have a high skill level returning for this upcoming season. If there’s one area of focus as far as team play it would be the defensive end and obviously the power play wasn’t where the team wanted it to be.”

So lets look at these quotes in terms of the current situation:

The PP has been brought up from 15.4% (last year) to 22.2% (current to date) (although only about 6% last 8 games). PP has improved!

The GA total and end of regular season last year was 233. Currently, with 25 games remaining, we have 164 GA in 47 games played which averages out to 3.5 GA/game. If we add 25 games remaining multiplied by 3.5 GA/game we should add 87 GA to that total for year end. That total will be 251 GA for the year (extrapolated). Based on this extrapolation it appears that the DZ is worse than it was last year, although, some of it may be goaltending related.

The GF total at the end of regular season last year was 234. Currently, with 25 games remaining, we have 151 GF in 47 games played which averages out to 3.2 GF/game. If we add to this total 25 games remaining multiplied by 3.2 GF/game we should add 80 GF to that total for year end. That total will be 231 GF (extrapolated). Based on this extrapolation it appears OZ is similar to what it was last year.

HOWEVER, I would remind readers that these totals were only good enough for 5th place in the Eastern Conference last year. Edmonton for example had 278 GF and 155 GA at year end (Raiders are currently over the Oil Kings year end total for GA last year). Portland for example had 334 GF and 169 GA at year end.

It is clear that defensively (through DZ play or goaltending) the Raiders are well behind the GA numbers required by a championship team and offensively are somewhat behind the GF output required by a championship team.

Extrapolation is an inaccurate science BUT is a decent relative comparison.

It has become clear since before Xmas break losing streak, that, either the nucleus that CC referred to when he was first hired was not enough to achieve success (although all of the pundits picked this team to finish in the top of the conference) OR his message or methods or teaching are not working.

I believe that the players are no longer interested in CCs message or current direction. I'm not sure if firing CC is the solution (financially or otherwise). I think if CC released his stranglehold of control and allowed more input and responsibility from Manson and Leonard along with a few tweeks in the systems and PP that the season could turn around.

I believe CC was a great coach early in his career but there is no indication in his recent resume in the AHL, NHL, or Brandon to suggest that the success has continued. This doesn't mean he can't turn it around by making changes and thinking outside the box.

If the losing continues and changes are not made - not making the playoffs will be the least of the Raiders worries as financially this team could see losses that it has not seen in many years. Mr Broda may be required to buy another SnakeBit truck (how appropriate a name) in the form of bailing the Raiders out again.

chalk_one_up
01-23-2014, 08:39 PM
Anyone worrying about the goalie is missing the point.

The team had 155 shots on goal in the last 4 games. They have 3 goals to show for it.

How many goals does a goalie score?

-Wapitikev

Quantity vs Quality. You can shoot from half and have a squabbler roll in on the goalie for a shot. There are deeper issues here than the amount of shots compared to no goals.

Wapitikev
01-23-2014, 09:01 PM
Quantity vs Quality. You can shoot from half and have a squabbler roll in on the goalie for a shot.Thank you for saying the exact thing you quoted me saying.

There are deeper issues here than the amount of shots compared to no goals.How many games will the team win if they don't score another goal all season?

-Wapitikev

BillyBean
01-23-2014, 10:18 PM
In 47 games this regular season the Raiders have 1594 shots for (SF) vs 1524 shots against (SA). The difference between SF and SA is 70 over 47 games and averages out to about 1.5 shots more than our opponents each game. For the 1594 SF we have 151 goals for (shooting % = 9.5) and for the 1524 shots against we have 164 goals against (shooting % = 11).

So basically there is an insignificant difference on average over the 1st 47 games between SF and SA. In fact, it is basically equal (on average) for all intents and purposes.

If you look at the game sheets of the 1st 47 games there are equal examples of where the Raiders won (although the other team outshot them) and where the Raiders lost (although they outshot the opponent).

You could therefore argue that although goaltending as of late has been suspect, on average over the 1st 47 games based on SF and SA goaltending is not the issue. The Raiders record is essentially 0.500 - so in games where the SF and SA are equal on average they are winning 50% and losing 50%.

The real problem is scoring chances! Of the SF how many of them are actual good quality scoring chances AND of the SA how many of them are good quality scoring chances.

It is very obvious in the games that I have seen that although the Raiders get a high SF total the scoring chance or shot quality is very low. Most of the Raiders chances are from outside the slot and have a low % of scoring. Meanwhile the opposing team have a much higher % of scoring chances or shot quality.

This difference is the reason the Raiders are struggling. Their goaltenders are facing a greater number of higher quality scoring chances than the Raiders are giving the opponents goaltender.

Most of this difference has to do with DZ system breakdowns, a very limited OZ entry (dump more than controlled entries) and a recently anemic PP.

Point the fingers where you want. The struggles are due to the fact that the systems being implemented do not match the creative skill of the Raiders roster.

How many turnovers/goals have the Raiders created on the forecheck this year? We have a good skating team that uses a useless quasi-trap. This trap is supposed to create turnovers in the OZ and NZ of which I have seen very few. Multiple studies have shown that controlled entry is far superior to dump entry - yet we continuously perform dump entries on teams when we have the offensive firepower of Conroy, Draisaitl, Brooks, Hart, Gardiner etc. Although we have great skating D men for the most part the DZ breakout makes no use of flow. Instead, the D men are forced to absorb a hit then read and react as to which side the break out will occur.

The players should not be taking the public vengance for the Raiders season to date. They are simply executing, in robotic form, systems that are not matched to their skill sets. There is no creativity but only fear that if they don't do what they are told they will be benched or disciplined by CC. I believe that Manson and Leonard recognize this but have very limited input into the direction of this team. I think a turn around is possible if CC hits his own reset button and tweeks the systems to match his players. Doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result is the true definition of futility!

I for one would rather see the Raiders play an exciting creative brand of hockey showcasing their superstars even if it means missing out on a playoff spot than forcing players to play the current old school robotic BS hockey they are currently playing and obviously don't want to play as they are not buying in.

the voice
01-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Dusted off the keyboard. My observations as of late...CC has been quoted that he is happy with the play of the team as they've done well learning his systems. Even when they lose, he says they are executing his systems and structure. He also has been quoted that the Raiders don't adjust or change the structure or systems no matter who they play. That shows the team is doing what they are asked to do and the players are coachable. My concern is that other teams have learned the systems and structure and are snuffing out the boys. I have always believed that once you take out the player's personal creativity and instinct to read and react on their own, you now get stale and robotic. I can't imagine the struggle in their heads when they need to decide in a split second between what the coaches system says what they should do and what their natural instinct says they should do. Given the chance, these players will win. Back to basics. Forwards need to be forwards and need to be let loose and be creative in the o zone. Once the play breaks down they backcheck. The D men need to be dmen and eliminate the odd man rushes. Given the chance they can rush the puck, otherwise let the forwards do the scoring. Looking forward to a big turnaround soon and the playoffs once things get sorted out.

Wapitikev
01-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Very happy with Nick's game last night. And he's always been good in the shootout. I was out of town this week on business and it was interesting to learn, last night, that Parenteau played Wednesday because the other two tenders were sick.

Hoping Nick plays every game from now on until they lose. Hopefully a long string.

Huge credit to Tomas Andrlik for winning his fight versus Odgers. He landed way more punches and won on points. Excellent considering it was his 2nd WHL tilt compared to Odgers 7th this year and 3rd in January so far.

The boys play PG on Monday, but they NEED to play like they are facing Calgary every night from now on and (continue to?) work on re-learning how to score.

To finish with 80 points the team is going to have to win 16 of the next 24 (0.667) and, thereby, be considerably better than everyone in this division during that span (Brandon is the only Division team with a record over 0.667, in the last 10 games).

-Wapitikev

BillyBean
01-25-2014, 06:13 PM
I hope they can put it all together. I believe that only 6 of these 24 games are against teams currently with a points total lower than the Raiders. Every game from here on in is a playoff game.

BillyBean
01-28-2014, 12:16 PM
After last nights game the PA Raiders remain in 9th spot in the Eastern Conference 5 points behind RD and KI for the 8th and final playoff spot.

Even more disturbing is that they are 16th out of 22 WHL teams. That's right folks you heard me correctly!. There are only 5 teams worse than the Raiders right now in the WHL - PG, MJ, SB, KB and LH in that order.

Last nights score/result maybe should not be a surprise given that the Raiders and PG only differ by 4 points based on wins and losses. I liked McBride's compete level, particularly given how they haven't used him much prior to the last stretch.

I continue to be amazed at the DZ breakdowns, unimaginative OZ entries and an anemic forecheck that continue to plague the Raiders.

With all of the excitement and media attention that was given to the team and their new coach at the beginning of the year (and with a few weeks being in the BMO CHL Top 10) I am very confused as to the overall lack of concern by the board, media, and more importantly fans pertaining to the Raiders slide. Whether the expectation were correct or not, the performance of the Raiders as an organization has to be be very disappointing to most. They are 8 points out of 5th spot in the Eastern Conference where they finished last year. They may achieve this position in the next 23-24 games but even if they do was Steve Young not fired for a similar finish?

Not sure as to what the focus of the organization is when comparing this year to last year. Hope they go far in playoffs.

Any thoughts.

the voice
01-28-2014, 01:03 PM
A few things need to be cleaned up. We give away way too many odd man rushes. The old saying of living by the sword and dying by the sword is bang on. The 4 on 4 play again usually ends up with an odd man rush against. Even the power play. Sometimes we get lucky with a great save or play by the dman hung out to dry. It's getting too late to change real quick here, but TEAM play is needed badly. If they figure that out, winning will happen.

BillyBean
01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
I have listed below the historical record for the Raiders since 2002 thanks to HockeyDB. Not sure of the accuracy of winning pct. but needless to say seasons over 0.500 have not been commonplace and nor have playoff runs. Based on this record is it fair to think that the Raiders should go far in the playoffs? For 6 of the 12 years they have not made playoffs and for 4 of the 12 years they haven't made it past round 1. 2004-05 they made it round 3 and this year is yet to be determined. The best years based on winning % were 2003-04 Anholt and 2012-13 Young.

2002-03 Prince Albert Raiders WHL Eastern 72 27 37 3 5 0 62 0.431 185 258 1566 2121 Klippenstein, Anholt {+} Out of Playoffs
2003-04 Prince Albert Raiders WHL Eastern 72 38 23 6 5 0 87 0.604 215 186 1602 2111 Peter Anholt Lost in round 1
2004-05 Prince Albert Raiders WHL Eastern 72 31 32 5 4 0 71 0.493 185 191 1627 2168 Peter Anholt Lost in round 3
2005-06 Prince Albert Raiders WHL Eastern 72 25 36 0 1 10 61 0.424 167 228 1504 2321 Peter Anholt Out of Playoffs
2006-07 Prince Albert Raiders WHL Eastern 72 27 39 0 3 3 60 0.417 203 266 1529 2198 Peter Anholt Lost in round 1
2007-08 Prince Albert Raiders WHL Eastern 72 26 41 0 3 2 57 0.396 196 248 1146 2119 Bruno Campese Out of Playoffs
2008-09 Prince Albert Raiders WHL East 72 31 36 0 4 1 67 0.465 233 270 1045 2127 Bruno Campese Out of Playoffs
2009-10 Prince Albert Raiders WHL East 72 32 35 0 3 2 69 0.479 230 249 1216 2104 Bruno Campese Out of Playoffs
2010-11 Prince Albert Raiders WHL East 72 31 36 0 2 3 67 0.465 247 283 1269 2271 Bruno Campese Lost in round 1
2011-12 Prince Albert Raiders WHL East 72 21 45 0 3 3 48 0.333 219 312 1292 2426 Campese, Young {+} Out of Playoffs
2012-13 Prince Albert Raiders WHL East 72 37 28 0 3 4 81 0.563 234 233 946 2674 Steve Young Lost in round 1
2013-14 Prince Albert Raiders WHL East 49 23 23 0 2 1 49 0.430 159 172 586 2452 Cory Clouston

Sttop
01-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Same old
... Thanks bruno chevy is awesome ! Can't wait for someone to run this team who doesn't give up franchise kids for 20 year olds who haven't even shown he could play Jr A

BillyBean
01-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Was at the game in Lethbridge last night. Hogue played very well but at best there was 33 shots against not 43.

In every game there are DZ, NZ, OZ breakdowns which teams are capitalizing on. The Raiders don't capitalize on other teams breakdowns.

Last nights game winning goal for Lethbridge came off of a block of a Sawyer Lange shot at the OZ blue line. Lange then falls down leading to a 2-1 that turned into a 3-1 by the end.

Goaltending is not the real issue with the Raiders. The players are not responding any more to the direction from above. The Board needs to take action. It's not to late. Look at the Winnioeg Jets!

puckdad
01-30-2014, 09:31 AM
Just a bad, bad goaltender. He made a good stop on a bad giveaway by Craig on our PP, but the rest of the game...my God he was horrible. Small size & when he goes into the butterfly or worse, goes to his knees, he's minuscule. Not making the reaction saves that he showed he could make in preseason & earlier on in the year. Maybe it's time to have him get "sick" for the remainder of the season.

BillyBean
01-30-2014, 09:43 AM
The list below are the scores from the last 5 Lethbridge games prior to playing PA last night. In their last 5 games Lethbridge has been outscored 32-5!! When you look at some of the teams that Lethbridge has played such as Kamloops, PG and Vancouver (who have beat Lethbridge easily and are struggling teams themselves) I find it hard to believe that there are not serious issues facing the Raiders.

Sat Jan 18 Lethbridge 2 Red Deer 5
Tue Jan 21 Lethbridge 2 Prince George 5
Wed Jan 22 Lethbridge 1 Kamloops 7
Fri Jan 24 Lethbridge 0 Vancouver 10
Sat Jan 25 Lethbridge 0 Kelowna 5

BillyBean
01-30-2014, 10:12 AM
For the goaltender enthusiasts:

Cole Cheveldave PA 39 2127 1141 1022 119 2 3.36 0.896 18 17 2 0
Nick McBride PA 16 825 446 405 41 0 2.98 0.908 5 6 0 1
Austin Lotz ES 39 2218 997 896 101 5 2.73 0.899 18 16 3 1
Payton Lee VG 34 1963 905 795 110 1 3.36 0.878 14 15 3 2
Danny Mumaugh ST 29 1645 945 853 92 1 3.36 0.903 13 9 2 3
Curtis Honey BWK 22 1235 734 656 78 0 3.79 0.894 9 9 2 0
Dawson MacAuley RP 41 2143 1143 1021 122 3 3.42 0.893 21 14 3 0

These are a few goaltenders with similar save % (8th column of numbers) to Cheveldave. These teams are doing much better in standings than Raiders - I don't think goaltending is the main issue with Raiders. The other key is to look at shot attempts against (3rd column of numbers). PA gives up some of the highest shots against total in the league (almost 2000 in 50 games avg 40/game) - a goaltender can do only so much. Chevy and Nick are not much different in save %. Yes - I know chevy cost us a 1st rounder in Kryski BUT Kryski was not coming folks. So how do you get a good deal on a 1st rounder when other GM's know the kid is not coming to PA. You don't. Your only other choice is to burn the kid - not the ideal situation. Were there better goalies available than Chevy - probably but this team could not ride the Parenteau mcbride rookie tag team. A move should have been made to trade chevy for another 19 or 20 yo goalie way sooner.

Goaltending is part of the issue but only minor component. PA was supposed to be a defensive team and it is not. Defensive play was identified by CC as being a weakness of this team last year (even though they finished 5th in the conference and even though they gave up less GA and shots against) and this weakness has not been corrected this year by new systems or some new players. The team has stopped responding to upper level direction. Blaming the goaltending is missing the point big time. Like Leon missing an open net last night or Conroy missing open net against PG there are way bigger issues and to not address them is a problem for years to come.

puckdad
01-30-2014, 11:11 AM
Yeah, Billy
There's something more deeply dysfunctional about this team than just goaltending. I guess I was just expressing my frustrations at a goalie that was supposed to help win the tight games. A group of forwards that would have trouble scoring into an empty soccer net and a defensive group that is overthinking their duties so much that every mistake ends up in their own net. I've never seen a group of players that are individually so good, but collectively so bad. I guess that says it all about the direction from above. What can be the answer?

BillyBean
01-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Wish I had a good answer but I really don't.

I know that buy-out money for a small market team (if a a coach is dismissed) is in short supply. However, if it is the right business move, money should not be an option.

A change, if Leonard and Manson were left in control, would not cost Raiders any more money and could lead to a late season push into the playoffs with possible playoff success. If it doesn't then the team is no worse off than it already is. I think Leonard and Manson (who I think have had their skill set and experience marginalized this year) have the respect and belief of the players (although I have no concrete evidence to base this on).

My biggest fear, if things don't change, is that the Raiders risk losing both Josh and Leon if they have the opportunity to come back. My second concern, is draft picks. Precedent has already been set with Kryski. He said he didn't want to come and the Raiders moved him. Last years higher draft picks and this years draft picks may try the same maneuver particularly if a coach remains that is known to be harder on younger players (just ask Wheaties and look at Guhle, Genarro utilization after Xmas).

My third concern is that with all the 19 yo's on this team it is obvious that next years version of the PA Raiders will be young and inexperienced. I think there is a strong chance that the new team will struggle even more in terms of win and losses next year. Do people in the Raider nation think that the current coach (who had a team full of talent and has not had success) is going to be able to take a less experienced and skilled team to the next level? That will take a special type of coach to develop those players to future success.

My guess is that the current head coach will probably leave on his own at the end of the year. He came here to have success as a stepping stone to the next-level of hockey. I think he took this job because on paper the Raiders looked like a slam-dunk to place high in the conference and standings. Since, to this point, it hasn't really happened I don't think he will want to stay in a difficult situation when other easier jobs may be available.

Any other thoughts or solutions?

puckdad
01-31-2014, 09:26 AM
I think that if they lose tonight in Kootenay, Bruno will be forced to make a coaching change upon their return to try to shake something up and salvage something this season. The player's frustration with the coaching is palpable. I can't see the team's 2 best players wanting to return next year, even if they are eligible, to a team that is mired in mediocrity. Look for the players to start requesting trades next year to teams with a winning attitude and a cooperative atmosphere more suitable for their development & growth. Josh and Leon are doing their best to lead this team out of the doldrums, but they are handcuffed by rigid, inflexible and ineffective systems that their supporting cast is forced to adhere to. It speaks volumes that the players have their greatest success early in the season, when they return from the offseason break, but the more they are "coached", the worse they do.
The disconnect between coaches is evident and is completely affecting the team's success. With losses to all 5 of the only teams in the league that have worse records than the Raiders, I can't see them pulling a rabbit out of their hat and suddenly start beating teams with winning records.
A change in coaches would be a huge weight off the player's shoulders and might be the key to allow them to play to their true potential.

Balgonie
01-31-2014, 09:48 AM
Unlikely they will beat Kootenay, however the next one against Swift Current is a much better opportunity for victory.

nohockey
01-31-2014, 11:26 AM
I think that if they lose tonight in Kootenay, Bruno will be forced to make a coaching change upon their return to try to shake something up and salvage something this season. The player's frustration with the coaching is palpable. I can't see the team's 2 best players wanting to return next year, even if they are eligible, to a team that is mired in mediocrity. Look for the players to start requesting trades next year to teams with a winning attitude and a cooperative atmosphere more suitable for their development & growth. Josh and Leon are doing their best to lead this team out of the doldrums, but they are handcuffed by rigid, inflexible and ineffective systems that their supporting cast is forced to adhere to. It speaks volumes that the players have their greatest success early in the season, when they return from the offseason break, but the more they are "coached", the worse they do.
The disconnect between coaches is evident and is completely affecting the team's success. With losses to all 5 of the only teams in the league that have worse records than the Raiders, I can't see them pulling a rabbit out of their hat and suddenly start beating teams with winning records.
A change in coaches would be a huge weight off the player's shoulders and might be the key to allow them to play to their true potential.

leon has one goal in the last 10 games. the usa trip is going to be tough

puckdad
01-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Empty net & we dump in dump in and change with NO puck pressure. There's some great coaching. Leave CC in Kootenay when you load the bus. This experiment is over.

Balgonie
01-31-2014, 10:50 PM
Sam Reinhart first ever fight and gets the decision over Morissey. I realize Morissey is not a fighter either but him getting the instigator hurt. Kootenay was inspired by their captain and came on too strong from that point on. However their effort was good and I have no doubt they will beat Swift Current at home.

AAAScout
02-01-2014, 09:08 AM
I said at the start of the year this was the worst thing they could do was bring in CC as head coach. every kid that has ever played for him hates him, and that is okay as long as they respect him, but they don't!!! Josh and Leon both despise the guy and without them this franchise has nothing!!

Wapitikev, please put your positive spin on this or can you?

Wapitikev
02-01-2014, 09:16 AM
I predicted that the team would get 80 points this year.

I stopped having positive things to say on January 19th.

These days my positivity is limited to individual efforts, when warranted, since that is all that the team is showing me.

PS - didn't watch the game last night...how the he77 did we give up a goal after the empty net one?

-Wapitikev

chalk_one_up
02-01-2014, 11:00 AM
If this team misses the playoffs, ticket prices better drop next season because in the larger scheme of things, it's going to be a hard sell and it will soon come down to attendance #'s on a Prince George scale. You can't continually increase prices and punish those who invest because if you only increase, are we soon to see $25-30 ticket prices for ****ing junior hockey? At that juncture, the building will be empty and we won't have a team much longer.

If I renew my season tickets for 2014-2015, I want a reduced rate and an apology letter. At least we'll get to see playoff hockey in the form of the Bears and Mintos.

shop2
02-01-2014, 12:07 PM
If he stays til end of season I will not renew my 4 sets of season tickets

radrguy
02-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Seven points out of playoff spot. 21 games left. Yikes, and thank you Bruno, and the board of directors. Consider me an ex-raider fan.

patsdude114
02-03-2014, 04:11 AM
Seven points out of playoff spot. 21 games left. Yikes, and thank you Bruno, and the board of directors. Consider me an ex-raider fan.

You guys have so much talent in PA that being that far out of a playoff spot just doesn't seem right.... I really believe you have more elite talent then the Pats do, I think it does come down to coaching and getting the most out of your players who are not among your top 6 players, I think the Pats have done a great job getting the best out of players who are not in the top 6 and that is the difference between the 2 teams. A guy like Stephenson is just learning how to take over a game which can be related to his last 2 seasons of having missed a lot of time due to injuries, guys like Draisaitl & Morrissey have learned to be dominate from not having missed development due to long term injuries.

I for 1 don't want to see the Raiders no longer part of the WHL but without playoff hockey for a small market team like the Raiders it is a tough sell to keep them profitable. Unless the NHL steps in and helps save these small market teams like MJ, SC & PA for example they wont be around for another 10+yrs...yes MJ has a brand new building but the crowds they are getting the past 2 seasons could just support a SJHL team, lots of pressure on those 3 markets to have success year in and year out

trucker
02-03-2014, 09:17 PM
Lots of pressure is right! You gotta win to stay viable in a small market! Which leads me to wonder what happened to the Raiders this year? At the start of the year, they were picked by many to finish 3rd in the conference, behind Calgary and Edmonton. But now your scraping desperately to get into the playoffs? A huge slide in the standings? Even after big trades made by your team at the deadline. Just wondering why this may have happened? The Broncos were projected to be battling the Raiders for top spot in the division, not the Pats or WheatKings. This has got to hurt!!

patsdude114
02-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Same thing happened to the Raiders last season as well but they stayed in the playoff race prob mainly to due with the warriors, wheat kings & pats being so bad last year. I know I said a few times last year after games in Regina that the Raiders didn't impress me much, that they were overrated & took a lot of heat for that but yet I was right in the end.

I never want to see the Raiders Broncos or Warriors leave this league, I hope something caan be done to keep them above water. I think there is a reason why the Raiders have changed there jersey look what twice in the last 10yrs (not sure on the actual time frame) it all comes down to money & jersey sales are the easiest way to make some profit.

Raider Fan
02-05-2014, 07:43 AM
I think after much tweaking the Raiders may have got their lines right last night vs Swift Current. All four lines had energy and created chances.

Sttop
02-05-2014, 08:49 AM
I agree . I don't think chevy deserved 3rd star I think they are just taking some heat off him. Valcourt was 3rd star imo. Good to see guys working there ass off though. And good to see them sitting a vet again

puckdad
02-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Anyone tried to watch Raider Highlights from the website? What a brutal video feed.

chalk_one_up
02-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Anyone tried to watch Raider Highlights from the website? What a brutal video feed.

It was recorded with a potato. I'm not sure why we haven't evolved in that area. The feed is always grainy, distorted and filled with Drew Wilson, a grown man, basically yelling ALL the time with his cheesy one-line sayings that have gotten really stale.

Sttop
02-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Most of the game was in black and white.

puckdad
02-05-2014, 01:49 PM
I've contacted Neulion in the past about poor video on WHLNet while watching the Raider's away games. I've never had to suffer through trying to watch a game originating at AHC. It must be so frustrating to pay for a service & have to try to watch that.

Sttop
02-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Swift currents are awful .they almost just zoom out as far as they can so they don't have to move the camera.

Balgonie
02-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Much blame aimed at the coach. This is Bruno's team that he coached for four years and then added his special players this year. When will he be held accountable? The only team he compares to in playoff prowess is Lethbridge.

RAIDERSRR
02-07-2014, 11:21 PM
I agree, however, one could argue that if you look at the team as a whole and each individual player the Raiders appear on paper to have a pretty strong team. So then where does it go wrong?!?!?

If you watch the things that are occurring on the bench during games, the players who are skating down the ice slower than my grandma, and the teams stats one could argue it is a combination of both coaching and managing. As a coach, you are there to motivate a team, work on the teams skills and strengths, as well as motivate players to work harder to achieve results. Obviously, this is not happening. If anyone went to a game, you would easily notice that not all players are playing to the best of their ability, one in particular comes to mind, Chance Braid. He has a lot of skill and was someone who was exciting to watch last season. However, this year watch him closely during a game!!!!! He turns over the puck, doesn't use his size when its needed, and just looks tired and lazy on the ice most of the time. However, he has yet to be a healthy scratch (to my recollection) This is just one example….

To make a long story short, a team is only as successful as its leader… A coach is there to motivate a team to want to strive to the next level, to be there very best, to give their heart to each and every game and if you went to a Raider game you would see that some of these players are not being motivated to their full potential.

RAIDERSRR
02-07-2014, 11:23 PM
Agreed, Clouston hasn't held one player accountable for poor play. Braid has been absolutely horrendous to watch then Clouston rewards him with an "A" on his jersey!!!!! Braid hasn't shown any leadership and he sure doesn't stick up for teammates against other teams. Gennaro, Zaharichuk and Guhle are some of the Raiders more exciting players to watch and Clouston has them sitting in the stands.
I totally agree with this point! And they won against Swift Current, but yet tonight he changes lines…..Why change what worked last time, its not time to reinvent the wheel Clouston.

RAIDERSRR
02-07-2014, 11:26 PM
You guys have so much talent in PA that being that far out of a playoff spot just doesn't seem right.... I really believe you have more elite talent then the Pats do, I think it does come down to coaching and getting the most out of your players who are not among your top 6 players, I think the Pats have done a great job getting the best out of players who are not in the top 6 and that is the difference between the 2 teams. A guy like Stephenson is just learning how to take over a game which can be related to his last 2 seasons of having missed a lot of time due to injuries, guys like Draisaitl & Morrissey have learned to be dominate from not having missed development due to long term injuries.

I for 1 don't want to see the Raiders no longer part of the WHL but without playoff hockey for a small market team like the Raiders it is a tough sell to keep them profitable. Unless the NHL steps in and helps save these small market teams like MJ, SC & PA for example they wont be around for another 10+yrs...yes MJ has a brand new building but the crowds they are getting the past 2 seasons could just support a SJHL team, lots of pressure on those 3 markets to have success year in and year out
Totally agree. It is very hard and disheartening to go and watch your team as a season ticket holder get "spanked" in their own barn…

Sttop
02-08-2014, 08:23 AM
Its gross ! Getting pumped by one of the worst teams in the league . there is no fight left in these boys. 7- 1 and the only player I saw even trying to play physical was big mac. I think it said it all when after the game the players tried to go to McBride and he just skated away from them .

Sttop
02-09-2014, 09:50 AM
It almost looked like boys got a message before the game. Hope they can continue playing like that

mjw22
02-11-2014, 06:41 PM

Patsdude our attendance is around 3500 a game . For a city your size I wouldnt be to proud of your attendance lol

Wildeyes
02-22-2014, 10:32 AM
So Far 2 wins on the road trip Raiders are scoring, They are getting alot of shots, The power play is clicking.

Sttop
02-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I would say swift on the way to the states would count as road trip. 6 out of a possible 6 points. 3 more points in the states would be key

Sttop
02-22-2014, 09:45 PM
We need some goaltending out of Chevy. He was awful against the Americans and tonight up 2-0 against the hawks he for some reason decides to go down 10 seconds early on a flip in shot which barely gets tipped and scores because chevy is down.

Sttop
02-22-2014, 10:14 PM
6 forwards 4 dmen playing tonight....nice strategy cc

RandyJackson
02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Welpp, it was pretty tough to lose that game last night over Morrissey feeling the need to sobbingly sell a call during sustained Thunderbird pressure in our defensive zone. Definitely not the time to lay on the ice. His man had that game handed to him on a silver platter.

puckdad
02-26-2014, 04:28 PM
I originally thought he got high-sticked & the refs missed the call. The replay shows that Delnov kind of clipped him skating by and the butt end of Morrissey's own stick caught him in the mouth. I don't think he was milking it - haven't ever seen him do that in 3 years in the league.

Sttop
03-01-2014, 09:43 PM
A pretty big character win against a pretty good team. Hope to see McBride run the rest of the way

Wapitikev
03-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Great to see the boys playing like a team...like they said they needed to do before the road trip.

Great to see Nick McBride finally getting a chance to prove that he is as good as we kept hearing he was going to be.

Great to see Mac Stewart getting close to a Gordie Howe Hat Trick every night and proving all his doubters wrong.

Great to see Leon closing in on more points than any other Raider has been able to score since 1996. If he break's Kelly's 101, then it will be 20years since a Raider has scored so many points (Burgess had 111 in '94).

...and way to go Med-Hat for stopping the Rebels in regulation!

Here's to winning the next 4 like they did the last 4 and clinching 7th place in the conference!

-Wapitikev

Sttop
03-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Unrelated but parentau finished off his year strong posting a.926 %and 2.72 gaa. Landing the teams rookie of the year and team MVP....congrats

Wapitikev
03-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Unrelated but parentau finished off his year strong posting a.926 %and 2.72 gaa. Landing the teams rookie of the year and team MVP....congratsI second that congratulations.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-10-2014, 04:17 PM
Has anyone heard how Craig is doing? He left the ice and didn't return after a big hit on Saturday.

RandyJackson
03-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Has anyone heard how Craig is doing? He left the ice and didn't return after a big hit on Saturday.

From what I've heard, things unfortunately don't look good for him. I heard that he has a separated shoulder and is likely to miss the remainder of the season for sure. If this is true then it's a major blow to our backend. He's been a vital part of our success as of late and his physical presence will be greatly missed.

Can anyone confirm this?

Wapitikev
03-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Assuming he's out for a while, I hope Coghlin is ready to take over for either Stewart or Ghule.

Morrissey/Lange
Andrlik/Stewart or Ghule
Coghlin/Stewart or Ghule

Otherwise Dae, Verrall or Brennan Riddle will get the number 6 spot.

This may be Stewart's chance to log some serious (even strength) minutes, since he is more physical than Ghule. Ghule will likely get the power-play minutes though.

Really too bad...Craig had really turned his game around versus Calgary and was playing well on Saturday up until the injury.

Time for the depth-guys to prove they belong in the lineup.

-Wapitikev

Sttop
03-10-2014, 10:14 PM
Why would coghlan take over for Stewart or guhle?Stewart has taken a regular shift for a couple months and has proved himself as the #5 guy. Guhle had switched out with cogs until this winning streak....imo the team calls up riddle as #7 dman . but I can't remember a team winning anything with 1 overager playing. Daae won the scoring title in the sjhl and morden put up decent #s in the mjhl ..

Wildeyes
03-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Hey kev Dae is now in stoon is there any dmen with experience we can bring in for the rest of the year?

Sttop
03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Why do u think I mentioned morden?

puckdad
03-11-2014, 04:04 PM
I don't think you can add another 20-yr-old after Feb 10.

Wapitikev
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Why would coghlan take over for Stewart or guhle?Stewart has taken a regular shift for a couple months and has proved himself as the #5 guy. Guhle had switched out with cogs until this winning streak....imo the team calls up riddle as #7 dman . but I can't remember a team winning anything with 1 overager playing. Daae won the scoring title in the sjhl and morden put up decent #s in the mjhl ..I wasn't saying that Coghlin would play 4th d-man minutes...he will play 6th d-man minutes because either Ghule or Stewart, probably Stewart, will play Craig's minutes.

So if Stewart is playing Craig's minutes on the 2nd pairing, Coghlin will play Stewart's minutes on the 3rd pairing.

Clearer?

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Go, Raiders, in the 3rd!

-Wapitikev

Sttop
03-11-2014, 09:14 PM
In the old days the 19 year olds would be running home behind the bus

Wapitikev
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Worst game in a month.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-11-2014, 09:23 PM
Good to see Leon getting 2 points, though.

3 more points and he has more than any other Raider in 20 years (Burgess had 111 in 94).

-Wapitikev

Sttop
03-12-2014, 06:15 AM
They really miss Craig on the backend. But this loss sits on danyluk,braid,perreaux , hart, brooks and Conroy. They might as well stayed at the hotel . worst game I have seen all them play in a long time. Worst part is clouston sat the kids because of it. 2 mins left in the game on a pp down 2 goals and clouaton doesn't pull the goalie...I don't get it

puckdad
03-12-2014, 08:31 AM
When he did go to the bench, it was just when the Raiders lost possession of the puck.

puckdad
03-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Do none of the Raider coaches realize that Perreaux cannot take a pass on the boards on his backhand? Why on earth would anyone put him on his off-wing? You're just asking to defend your end for the whole shift when he's out there.

BillyBean
03-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Do none of the Raider coaches realize that Perreaux cannot take a pass on the boards on his backhand? Why on earth would anyone put him on his off-wing? You're just asking to defend your end for the whole shift when he's out there.

Don't disagree with not having him play his off-wing, although, Braid on his forehand was about as good as Perreaux on his backhand. However, the WHL website has Big Mac as -4 and Andrlik as -3 for last nights game. So I do think there were other contributing issues to the loss.

I think the major issue is that with Craig in the line-up the coaching staff was able to manage the situations that Mac and Andrlik were utilized. With Craig gone they don't have this luxury anymore. With more minutes for Mac and Andrlik one would expect more mistakes. Coghlan maybe had 5-7 shifts all game.

puckdad
03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Yeah, you're right. I think Dave has done an excellent job putting Stewie on the ice in situations where he has a good chance for success. Without Craig, he's out in situations that he's not ready for. He's got to keep his game simple & safe if he's out there. No more surprise, backhand passes in front of the net into the skates of someone not ready for it.

BillyBean
03-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Yeah, you're right. I think Dave has done an excellent job putting Stewie on the ice in situations where he has a good chance for success. Without Craig, he's out in situations that he's not ready for. He's got to keep his game simple & safe if he's out there. No more surprise, backhand passes in front of the net into the skates of someone not ready for it.

Was a bit concerned that on the 1st game of a 4 in 5 night swing that from about the 2nd period on only 2 lines and 3-4 D were being used. Josh and Sawyer's tongues were dragging on the ice in the 3 rd and Leon's line looked ineffective in the latter stages of the game, particularly on the PP in the late stages of the game.

I know a playoff spot is at stake, but, there has to be something left in the tank for the next 3 games. I think more selective use of Leon's line in trying to generate a line mismatch is better than putting them out every 2nd shift. Plus, they had Leon on the PK. That's all we need is for him to take a shot off the ankle and get injured. Then it wont matter whether we make playoffs or not.

Any thoughts?

puckdad
03-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately, we're a 1-line team right now. 2nd line is ineffective & our 3rd was flat-out awful. When they put the 4th out for a shift in the 2nd, Leverton takes a tripping penalty & the PPG turns out to be the turning point of the game.

Sttop
03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
Lines
Braid - brooks - gennero
Quinney - danyluk - hart
Perreaux - zahar - lever

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Lines
Braid - brooks - gennero
Quinney - danyluk - hart
Perreaux - zahar - leverVanstone not Leverton.

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Nice call on the check from behind

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Leaving aside the fact that no one was high sticked on that penalty call, I'm sure glad we had Cheveldave playing defense for us tonight.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Very disappointed in the goal tending.

Very disappointed in the reffing.

Our compete level is insufficient. Not looking like a team interested in playing after next Saturday.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
03-12-2014, 08:32 PM
That's Regina 2 assists for Cheveldave tonight. Maybe stay in the net & let the defense play the puck.

puckdad
03-12-2014, 08:33 PM
What game are these refs watching?

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 08:49 PM
What game are these refs watching?Not sure but I suspect they are using Google Glass to view the Red-Deer game.

How does a player get his helmet knocked off by the opposing player's stick without a call...but Conroy doesn't even make contact with his player and he gets the box?

And, did I miss a memo? Is checking from behind not a penalty any more?

...lost count of how many tripping calls were missed.

Pathetic.

WHL should be exceedingly proud of the quality of their referees.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 08:54 PM
Nice to see Gardiner step up and do Hart's job for him, as well.

Very disappointed.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Good flurry.

Still not enough.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Credit to Regina...they have been playing well, even when not helped by the referees.

McCauley is standing tall in the 3rd.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 09:18 PM
...[crickets]...

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Time to pull the goalie.

Go, Ice.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 09:29 PM
And Red Deer wins.

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Very disappointed.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 09:32 PM
No points for Leon tonight, either.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-12-2014, 09:33 PM
So...who plays net on Friday?

-Wapitikev

puckdad
03-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Seiveldave's season is done. What a disappointment

patsdude114
03-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Credit to Regina...they have been playing well, even when not helped by the referees.

McCauley is standing tall in the 3rd.

-Wapitikev

Seriously??? did you see the PP chances for both sides last night?? If I recall PA went 0/6 while the Pats were 1/3....how many more PPs did you guys want to try to get back into the game? We even outscored your PP as we had 2 SH goals.

The Raiders have 1 line and 1 line only, you can not win in this league with 1 line....Morrissey was flat our brutal last night he has pro hockey on his mind as he will be called up to the AHL once the Raiders are done.

The Pats had a patch work defense missing 2 of our top 4 defensemen and the Raiders could hardly warrant any offensive time unless it was the Conroy/Valcourt/Draisaitl line & even they were kept to the outside all game long.

But hey you guys get Saskatoon to close out your season there should be 2 wins there and most likely sneak into the playoffs to play EDM or CGY...as RD has a home & home against EDM & unless Bartosak steals both games I don't see them making the playoffs due to that reason, unless of course the Raiders continue with their stink show of a season and lose a game to Saskatoon. IMO Clouston should be fired as soon as your season is over, you guys have under achieved all season long.

puckdad
03-13-2014, 12:38 PM
Not a lot in your post that I can disagree with. Regina was not even expected to be in a playoff position this year & have developed into legitimate contenders under Cameron's tutelage. PA was projected to lead the division and has, if anything, regressed under Clouston's coaching.

BillyBean
03-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Seriously??? did you see the PP chances for both sides last night?? If I recall PA went 0/6 while the Pats were 1/3....how many more PPs did you guys want to try to get back into the game? We even outscored your PP as we had 2 SH goals.

The Raiders have 1 line and 1 line only, you can not win in this league with 1 line....Morrissey was flat our brutal last night he has pro hockey on his mind as he will be called up to the AHL once the Raiders are done.

The Pats had a patch work defense missing 2 of our top 4 defensemen and the Raiders could hardly warrant any offensive time unless it was the Conroy/Valcourt/Draisaitl line & even they were kept to the outside all game long.

But hey you guys get Saskatoon to close out your season there should be 2 wins there and most likely sneak into the playoffs to play EDM or CGY...as RD has a home & home against EDM & unless Bartosak steals both games I don't see them making the playoffs due to that reason, unless of course the Raiders continue with their stink show of a season and lose a game to Saskatoon. IMO Clouston should be fired as soon as your season is over, you guys have under achieved all season long.

Watched the game on the computer last night and have to agree. You can blame the players for not performing or blame the coaches for not coaching but ultimately the head coach is responsible for helping/getting them perform/compete. That is the job description, no excuses no exceptions.

Last year they finished 5th in the conference and were swept in the 1st round of playoffs. For that performance the coach was fired. This year they will finish 7th, 8th or 9th in conference and if they make the playoffs the 1st round outcome does not look positive again this year. For a less successful season with a team that on paper looks better than it was last year - how can they not make a change because of underachievement?

Sttop
03-13-2014, 03:05 PM
Last year the head coach took the heat. And that was a head coach that had the players respect. This year the coach will get fired but imo the only reason why is because the players wouldn't put it on the line for him. But I think to many players get off with no worries. Where has Hart been all season long. I asked a coach in the preseason why he never plays with Leon. The answer I got. He's our 2nd best player and we want to have 2 great lines. And on paper at the start of the year a guy had to believe that. Could any of you imagine how terrible this team would have been if Leon hadent took over? No other players on the team are willing to step up. If I was Clouston Friday night I would return the favor of the players sending him down with his ship. There would be no jerseys with letters on them . gennerro , quinney , and Zahara would be playing a regular shift , split up. Gennerro would take perreauxs spot. Zahar would take danyluks . and quinney would take valcourts spot .

Quinney - Leon - Conroy
Gennerro - brooks - braid
Leverton -zahar- Vanstone
Gardiner - danyluk - valcourt
Hart - perreaux

Hart and perreaux could be sent home to wait for a trade...chevy could hitch a ride with them. Because parentau would start the last 2 games. He let in 6 when they called him up , but none were his fault. The raiders were in the heart of stinking up the place

Sttop
03-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Thanks oil kings... I'm sure there's some of your list players you could have called up.

radrguy
03-16-2014, 04:41 PM
Crazy, they sat Lazar, Sammuellson, and Reinhart. How ever there is no reason they should have ever been in this position, and do not deserve to make the playoffs.

chalk_one_up
03-16-2014, 04:45 PM
They only dressed 2 AP's and sat their stars, which I would too heading into a meaningless game. If the Oil Kings needed this win to secure top seed, I'm sure they would have had all hands on deck.

franchise
03-17-2014, 03:03 PM
I would truly enjoy an Edmonton v Raiders series. After yesterday, and the braintrust of the Oilkings feeling they could rig the deck in favor of Red Deer I would love to see them fall flat on their arrogant faces.

calcheyup
03-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I would truly enjoy an Edmonton v Raiders series.
If you're a Raiders fan, there are a lot of emotions you might feel during a series against the Oil Kings. Enjoyment would not be one of them, I promise.

After yesterday, and the braintrust of the Oilkings feeling they could rig the deck in favor of Red Deer I would love to see them fall flat on their arrogant faces.
"Rig the deck in favor of Red Deer"? Is that what you call pummelling them in the Rebels own barn? Because if the Edmonton Oil Kings' foremost concern was the success of the Red Deer Rebels, they would have laid down both games and your team would be at the driving range right now. It was a nothing game for Edmonton once they clinched and it would have been downright foolish to risk injury to their top guys going into the playoffs. Don't be ridiculous.

calcheyup
03-18-2014, 01:36 PM
If the Oil Kings needed this win to secure top seed, I'm sure they would have had all hands on deck.
They did, and they did, the night before in Red Deer.

patsdude114
03-18-2014, 04:55 PM
watch the webcast tonight for free, good luck Raiders, here is my question to all you Raider faithful.... who starts in goal tonight??

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-to-webcast-tie-breaker-game-for-free

Sttop
03-18-2014, 05:46 PM
No question McBride starts

Wapitikev
03-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Pretty weak penalty call.

Never seen that before.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-18-2014, 08:21 PM
watch the webcast tonight for free, good luck Raiders, here is my question to all you Raider faithful.... who starts in goal tonight??

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-to-webcast-tie-breaker-game-for-freeWas a major chore trying to get the game for free using my existing account...finally got in during first intermission. Thanx WHL. No thanx Nuelion.

Wapitikev
03-18-2014, 09:04 PM
Awesome Valcourt flash-mob on the promo by the two female Raiders fans!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Great effort. Very satisfied with many performances.

-Wapitikev

patsdude114
03-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Was a major chore trying to get the game for free using my existing account...finally got in during first intermission. Thanx WHL. No thanx Nuelion.

I got auto signed out during 1st period missed about 10mins of 1st along with 2 goals was pretty choked.... but was a good game to watch as a hockey fan, was back and forth all game long. PA put tons of pucks on net good luck against EDM even if you guys don't beat them the 2 possibly 3 home playoff games will help with the bottom dollar in PA :)

Wapitikev
03-18-2014, 09:34 PM
The two games will go a long way to erasing the financial deficit that would have been.

-Wapitikev

Bighat
03-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Pa in 6 games. Sleeping giant.

puckdad
03-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Pretty obvious when Edmonton doesn't even post the winning goal on their video replays that there was a botched icing call that resulted in Edmonton's 4th goal. These officials have got to stop assuming the period will end uneventfully when they don't whistle down an obvious call in the last 10 seconds of a period, just because they're ready for the intermission break & don't want to skate the length of the ice for another face-off. That goal with 4 seconds left in the 2nd when everyone in the building and watching online knew the play was dead was a killer & affected the outcome of the game.

BillyBean
03-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Pretty obvious when Edmonton doesn't even post the winning goal on their video replays that there was a botched icing call that resulted in Edmonton's 4th goal. These officials have got to stop assuming the period will end uneventfully when they don't whistle down an obvious call in the last 10 seconds of a period, just because they're ready for the intermission break & don't want to skate the length of the ice for another face-off. That goal with 4 seconds left in the 2nd when everyone in the building and watching online knew the play was dead was a killer & affected the outcome of the game.

The icing call was botched. However, we can make excuses for a game that's in the books or we can find solutions. I watched the game and that 1 blown call was not the cause of the loss.

On one of the goals against the puck is dumped into the Raiders corner and Andrlik (as he has done all year) refuses to go into the corner 1st to take a hit to make a play. Instead he lets the EDM player go into the corner 1st, tries to hit him, misses and boom the puck is in the net. On 2 of the other goals Big Mac is spinning like a ballerina net front, watching the puck move through the crease, instead of taking a man stick on stick.

The shots were 43-24 in favour of Edmonton. Chevy had a hell of a game in relief. The bottom line is that the Raiders 3,4,5 D (they don't even play Coghlan more than 2 shifts a period) were no match for EDM F's. DZ coverage was back to where it was in losing streak. EDM had long periods of controlled play in Raiders DZ through either controlled entry or dump entry. When we do have the puck, the Raiders need to have more controlled entry and less dump entry so that they can establish periods of puck control in the OZ (which of course means puck isn't in their DZ). They in essence are playing a passive forecheck game/trap on EDM. Dumping the puck is a waste of time if that is how you are going to forecheck. Controlled OZ entries are the way to go. They need more production out of the Raiders F's. We cannot rely on the 1st and maybe 2nd F lines all the time.

Score aside - the Raiders were outplayed both in scoring chances and shot attempts.

I really hope they are able to turn it around in today's game. Hope Chevy continues his turn around.

Sttop
03-23-2014, 12:15 PM
There's no doubt Edm is the better team . basically a team with 6 star players and good role players that can lay a hit . to hack on two rookie defencemen that are forced into playing 25+ mins game is wrong. Without those 2 the raids have no sniff of playoffs. Both played very well in the blades and rebels games. If you think rookies without playoff exp aren't going to make mistakes quit watching because it will continue. Unless craig is able to play the kids have to eat to much ice time in to many situations .

BillyBean
03-23-2014, 01:04 PM
There's no doubt Edm is the better team . basically a team with 6 star players and good role players that can lay a hit . to hack on two rookie defencemen that are forced into playing 25+ mins game is wrong. Without those 2 the raids have no sniff of playoffs. Both played very well in the blades and rebels games. If you think rookies without playoff exp aren't going to make mistakes quit watching because it will continue. Unless craig is able to play the kids have to eat to much ice time in to many situations .

Not hacking at all. Was simply responding to post that said a botched icing call was the cause of the loss. The loss of course was not caused by botched icing call but was caused by multiple factors - as they always are...

I agree totally with your comments that the young D (and F's) are doing their best in the situation they have been placed in. Truth is, they made mistakes that did not cause the loss by themselves but were one of many things that led to the loss.

If you've read some of my previous posts you'll know I am not a big fan of the Raiders systems that have been implemented, nor am I a big fan of the results the systems have achieved, nor am I a fan of the player management.

Think about how good those young D (or F's) could be playing now (when it counts) if they were allowed to play bigger minutes earlier in the year (when it didn't count as much).

Perfect examples are Aaron Irving (1st rnd - 9th overall) and Dysin Mayo (3rd rnd - 57th overall) of the Oil Kings. These are 2 young 96 D men that were groomed throughout the season with appropriate minutes and situational play. Dysin Mayo had 1G, 1A and was +3 in yesterday's game. Then there is Ryan Pilon (1st rnd - 3rd overall) D 96 1G, 1A +2 in yesterdays game. Travis Sanheim (9th rnd - 177th overall) and Ben Thomas (3rd rnd - 45th overall) 96 D D from Hitmen who combined had 1A and were +4 yesterday. Jordan Steenbergen 96 D and Troy Murray 97 D in Kootenay. Brett Pollock 96 F OilKings (2G, +1) last night 25G,30A +18 during year (5th rnd, 97th overall). I guess young D and F's if developed properly can contribute to a team!

Your point is well taken; Guhle, Big Mac, Andrlik and even Coghlan are doing their best for how they were managed and developed. I just think it could have been wayyyyyyy better. It's not just the D either. Quinney, Genarro, Zaharichuk, Vanstone, Leverton -could be or could have been significant depth contributors as younger inexperienced players - if given development ice-time throughout the year. Its not just games played but number of minutes and situational play.

The Raiders have been wound so tight this year and focused on wins and losses that they have forgotten that their still needed to be development of young talent for later in the year and years to come. I get it - this was a make or break "do or die" year and they made tough decisions. They fired the old coach brought in a new coach, made big trades at trade deadline, made tough decisions with going with an older team. They were pegged to be tops in the Eastern Conference at the beginning of the year. But in the end they finished in a tie-breaker fighting for last place in the Eastern Conference. I would say that the decisions didn't work as well as had been hoped.

I'm glad that the Raiders are in the playoffs - but I am also a realist. This season currently cannot be judged as a success based on realistic expectations and team depth. Going a few rounds in the playoffs may help BUT I hope the fan base gets over their playoff "high" when it is done and looks at the season in an analytical fashion.

Next year they have 7 20 yo - of which 4 or more will have to be moved. That's a quarter to a third of the roster. The rest of the younger players haven't seen enough situational or enough minutes of ice to really warrant calling them veterans next year. The mistakes you see now by the younger players will be the mistakes that you will see at the beginning of the year. The team will be younger and more inexperienced next year unless some innovative off-season trades happen.

The current players are the product of their environment. They are what they are. I just don't want to hear that a ref's call caused us to lose the game.

I want the Raiders to kick butt in the future but blaming superficial things doesn't get to the root of the problem and certainly won't help in fixing them.

Go Raiders!

Sttop
03-23-2014, 03:09 PM
I couldn't agree more. Quinney and Gennero are the prime example. THey hasn't progressed since training camp. But haven't been given the opportunity or playing time. Both should have been key players next year. As for 20 year old next year I would think Bruno plays it different then most expect. I have a feeling he keeps Danyluk, Brooks and Braid. Odd choice's I know but I think he keeps Brooks and Dany for work ethic and good all around play. I think they need Braid up front as well. But most importantly Hart,Conroy , and Lange would fetch decent returns via trade. I could see Conroy staying if Leon is back though. Let's just cross our fingers the 20 year old goalie experiment is over.

puckdad
03-23-2014, 03:58 PM
Fact is that with the icing call, the 4th goal doesn't happen. In both the Raider's wins in Edmonton, they were outplayed, outshot, & outchanced, similarly to Game 1 of this series, but still managed to squeak out a win. I agree with everything else in your post, especially the statement that our systems all season long do not seem to match the skill set of this group of players.

Wapitikev
03-25-2014, 10:17 PM
At the risk of repeating myself, the WHL should be extremely proud of the quality of it's on-ice officials.

-Wapitikev

BillyBean
03-26-2014, 09:08 AM
At the risk of repeating myself, the WHL should be extremely proud of the quality of it's on-ice officials.

-Wapitikev

Need solutions, not excuses! I see that on social media everyone is saying that the refs didn't make several calls that would of given the Raiders PP's that would have led to them winning the game? I guess it's a big conspiracy of the WHL against the Raiders? I guess everyone has a crystal ball that showed them the outcome?

I see in the media that these excuses are coming from the management on down. That's great leadership from the top and a perfect way to lead by example! It is precisely this kind of rhetoric that will prevent this franchise from ever becoming successful.

It is this "blame the refs crap" that is taking away from what was a good/gritty performance by the Raiders players. Don't get me wrong I don't like the calls anymore than the next fan but *****ing doesn't change a thing.

The refs were the same for both teams and I saw several missed calls that could have gone against the Raiders. The Raiders were 0-3 in their PP last night and although odds say they would be due if they had more PP's we really don't know that for sure.

If the fans want to vent their anger maybe the should use that energy in asking the question of why a team that was supposed to finish within the top 3 of the Eastern Conference had to play a playoff tie-breaker to finish 8th and end up playing (and possibly being swept by) essentially one of the 2 best teams in the WHL in the first round of the playoffs.

It's not the refs fault that the Raiders are where they are. The fans need to start asking quality hockey questions as to why this season was not as successful as last season. Changes were made last year because last year was "not successful". Yet this year they have a worse record and most likely the same playoff result yet I assume there was a greater monetary investment in coaching with a more high profile former NHL coach.

Fans need to think of an iceberg. What they r seeing is the tip of the iceberg and they need to cut through the rhetoric and ask questions to see how much crap is below the waterline. Otherwise expect the Titanic for the next few years.

westbeach55
03-26-2014, 09:29 AM
who cares where we should have been. (if that's the case then oilers should have the cup right now) Were here to support the team now and the off season is when changes can be made. and if you think that reffing was of whl standards you need to open your eyes. Bbylow and Willams. 3 helmets knocked off the raiders no call, two hand slash takes stick out of hand not called. and yes there were calls for the oil kings not called and why were they not called ???????

Landon
03-26-2014, 01:00 PM
There are players that simply need to be better. For all you big Mack lovers I agree he has improved over the year but not to the point where he should be playing as much as he is. IMO he shouldn't be playing PK, PP or 4 on 4. I was in Edmonton for both games where he was picked apart. Last night on the goal to make it 3-3 he was dangled out of his shorts to say the least. Andrilik needs to be way better then he has been (TAKE THE HIT TO MAKE THE PLAY ITS PLAYOFFS.)
On edmontons 2nd goal it was a 3 on 2 because the Raider forward didn't hustle to pick up his man.
The Raiders need to come tonight with a full 60 minutes and a few players need to dig a little deeper....and STEP UP!!!!!!

Sttop
03-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Stewy got dangled on that 3rd goal. But the player had to come in out of the corner to score and shouldn't have had room except chevy went down 5 Sec early. And the winning goal chevy went upstairs to get a beer or something. Leon's line missed a good 6 1 timers for goals as well. Yes stewy shouldn't be playing as much as he as he is. But He's our 4th best dman

Raider Believer
03-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Need solutions, not excuses! I see that on social media everyone is saying that the refs didn't make several calls that would of given the Raiders PP's that would have led to them winning the game? I guess it's a big conspiracy of the WHL against the Raiders? I guess everyone has a crystal ball that showed them the outcome?

I see in the media that these excuses are coming from the management on down. That's great leadership from the top and a perfect way to lead by example! It is precisely this kind of rhetoric that will prevent this franchise from ever becoming successful.

It is this "blame the refs crap" that is taking away from what was a good/gritty performance by the Raiders players. Don't get me wrong I don't like the calls anymore than the next fan but *****ing doesn't change a thing.

The refs were the same for both teams and I saw several missed calls that could have gone against the Raiders. The Raiders were 0-3 in their PP last night and although odds say they would be due if they had more PP's we really don't know that for sure.

If the fans want to vent their anger maybe the should use that energy in asking the question of why a team that was supposed to finish within the top 3 of the Eastern Conference had to play a playoff tie-breaker to finish 8th and end up playing (and possibly being swept by) essentially one of the 2 best teams in the WHL in the first round of the playoffs.

It's not the refs fault that the Raiders are where they are. The fans need to start asking quality hockey questions as to why this season was not as successful as last season. Changes were made last year because last year was "not successful". Yet this year they have a worse record and most likely the same playoff result yet I assume there was a greater monetary investment in coaching with a more high profile former NHL coach.

Fans need to think of an iceberg. What they r seeing is the tip of the iceberg and they need to cut through the rhetoric and ask questions to see how much crap is below the waterline. Otherwise expect the Titanic for the next few years.

Exactly! Think of the BOD. The buck stops with them. If history means anything they will probably reward Bruno with another contract!
The city and fans deserve better. The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different result.

Raider Believer
03-26-2014, 09:35 PM

-Wapitikev

Agreed

Sttop
03-26-2014, 10:48 PM
I think we need to find a players coach. Players today are to soft to respond to anything else

the voice
03-26-2014, 11:02 PM
So much talent from top to bottom. Do not be surprised when the dominos start to fall. There will be no less than a dozen changes by fall. One reason. So sad.

Raider Believer
03-27-2014, 12:27 AM
I think we need to find a players coach. Players today are to soft to respond to anything else

I've been saying this for 3 or 4 seasons now. The old school coach is not going to be effective with young players who have many more options and are represented by agents.