PDA

View Full Version : Job Opening - Calgary Hitmen

The_Vulk
07-27-2005, 07:05 PM
Job Opening, Play by Play / Public Relations Manager - Calgary Hitmen (http://www.whl.ca/headlines/?id=3117)
Created: Jul 27, 2005

The Calgary Hitmen Hockey Club is seeking an experienced individual to be our radio play by play announcer and to hold the dual role as our Public Relations Manager.

The job responsibilities would include the following:

Media Relations
Coordinate all special events
Organize player appearances and community events
Handle Donation/Request letters
Volunteer Coordinator
Hitmen Web Site
Hitmen Kids Club
Hitmen Booster Club liaison
Game Day Notes
Radio Play by Play

Hitmen1
07-28-2005, 08:06 PM
What has happened to Mark Stiles?

Scout
07-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Wow, what a plate full. Thats a job and a half.

Scout

Sammy
07-29-2005, 02:47 PM
might as well have put in:

Operating the Zamboni
Working the Concession
Driving the Bus

iamcdn
07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm sure those jobs are to be designated by the person hired for the job.
It is not humanly possible to take care of game day operations AND do play-by-play at the same time. I sure hope that's what Calgary was thinking, because "Game Day Operations Manager" is a heavy load with just that title.

EDIT: I was thinking game day operations, but it actually read special events. However, there are still many aspects in game day ops that were listed in that job description.

ScottyWazz
07-31-2005, 01:48 AM
Thanks for coming out Mark Stiles.

Ergo
07-31-2005, 08:34 AM
Job Opening, Play by Play / Public Relations Manager - Calgary Hitmen (http://www.whl.ca/headlines/?id=3117)
Created: Jul 27, 2005

A lot of these jobs used to be done by Charla Odgers when she was with the Hitmen. A replacement was hired to replace Charla until she came back from maternity leave and seemed unable to maintain Charla's pace. Their contract was not renewed after the year was up.

Charla elected not to return to the Hitmen. I don't believe the Hitmen ever truly appreciated how hard Charla worked for them and how much she actually did until she left.

Now it appears they have tried to add her duties to Mark. Is it possible he told them to stuff it?

The_Vulk
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Well, with the Calgary Flames back on the ice this year, the number of games that will be needed a radio play-by-play will be once more very limited.

(Still wondering about the web-casting thou.)

The Hitmen (and the Flames) never realized what a valuable person Charla was to the organization, and the fans.

Ergo
08-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Well, with the Calgary Flames back on the ice this year, the number of games that will be needed a radio play-by-play will be once more very limited.

(Still wondering about the web-casting thou.)

The Hitmen (and the Flames) never realized what a valuable person Charla was to the organization, and the fans.

I'm not sure that very limited would be correct. It seems that pre-strike we got the majority of games broadcast. It was only those nights that conflicted, that we lost out. My guess would have been about 20 games at most. However I have been know to be wrong before. :D

By the way. Does anyone know where Mark has gone or what he is doing?

Couldn't agree more in regards to Charla. A huge asset to the organization that went largely unrecognized. I'm not sure where she is now but I hope they appreciate her.

Hitmen1
08-02-2005, 04:38 PM
Couldn't agree more in regards to Charla. A huge asset to the organization that went largely unrecognized. I'm not sure where she is now but I hope they appreciate her.

Not a 100% certain but I believe she is the head of the marketing department for the AJHL.

The_Vulk
08-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Not a 100% certain but I believe she is the head of the marketing department for the AJHL.
That she is.

According to http://www.ajhl.ca/

Marketing:
Charla Odgers
Phone/Fax: 403 257-9532
marketing@ajhl.ca

Ergo
08-03-2005, 07:55 PM

Just did a quick check of the Hitmen and Flames schedules. The are 21 dates were the two teams are playing on the same day.

One of those is definitely not a conflict as the Flames game is 2:00pm and the Hitmen game would be in the evening. The other is a possible non conflict as the Flames game is a 1:00pm start the Hitmen game could be an evening game or an afternnon game.

So I would say that a potential 51 possibly 53 broadcasts is much more than a limited amount of games. It seems to me that is about what we had for all nine of the seasons pre-strike. :thumb: :thumb:

The_Vulk
08-04-2005, 04:52 AM
...So I would say that a potential 51 possibly 53 broadcasts is much more than a limited amount of games.
But not all were broadcast. (We had baseball. :burningma )

According to the frig magnets:
2003-04: 46
2002-03: 43
2001-02: 48

But since we are at the home games, I'd only count the road broadcasts, as they are the ones we'd be missing the games to.

2003-04: 20
2002-03: 17
2001-02: 22

Ergo
08-04-2005, 07:38 AM
But not all were broadcast. (We had baseball. :burningma )

According to the frig magnets:
2003-04: 46
2002-03: 43
2001-02: 48

But since we are at the home games, I'd only count the road broadcasts, as they are the ones we'd be missing the games to.

2003-04: 20
2002-03: 17
2001-02: 22

You can't just choose to eliminate the home games just because YOU are there and don't listen.

As you state according to the fridge magnets 2003-04: 46, 2002-03: 43, 2001-02: 48 that is more than 50 percent. That's hardly "very limited".

Hittman
08-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Almost a week now since anyone has had anything to say on this......

It's been brought up a couple of times, and no ones had an answer, but I'll try again. What happened to Mark Stiles? He's still on the team and station websites, not sure if that means anything, but no one seems to know anything about what's up with him. Fired, quit, different title with the team?

How about the new broadcaster+PR guy? Anyone hear any rumours out there as to who their hire may be or if they found their man yet?

The_Vulk
08-10-2005, 04:09 PM

It's been brought up a couple of times, and no ones had an answer, but I'll try again. What happened to Mark Stiles?
Don't know.

Have not heard any rumours.

If he did leave the Organization voluntarily or forced out, it would be improper for that Organization to be giving out reasons, etc.

Just that they have an opening, here are the job specifics/requirements, etc.

Ergo
08-10-2005, 05:32 PM

It's been brought up a couple of times, and no ones had an answer, but I'll try again. What happened to Mark Stiles? He's still on the team and station websites, not sure if that means anything, but no one seems to know anything about what's up with him. Fired, quit, different title with the team?

How about the new broadcaster+PR guy? Anyone hear any rumours out there as to who their hire may be or if they found their man yet?

I wouldn't bother with the Hitmen website. It has always been out of date. I don't believe it is a very high priority item with the organization. It seems that someone sold them on the idea that they had to have one but they really don't have a clue what to do with it.

Mind you the organization as a whole is extremely poorly run and has gotten a whole lot worse since Charla left.

However I would still very much like to know what happened to Mark and where he has gone, if only to wish him the best of luck in his new job whatever that may be.

Hitmen1
08-24-2005, 11:29 PM
However I would still very much like to know what happened to Mark and where he has gone, if only to wish him the best of luck in his new job whatever that may be.

I sent an email tonight to see what is up with Mark. Hopefully I will hear something. Has anyone else heard anything?

Hitmen1
08-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Here is is the response I got from the Hitmen.

Mike,
Mark Stiles has moved down the hall and joined the Calgary Flames
marketing department. He will have a role in the broadcasting of Flames
PPV games.
As for the Hitmen we will be announcing a new play-by-play voice within
the next couple of days.
Regards,
The Calgary Hitmen Hockey Club

Best of luck to Mark with his new job!

Ergo
08-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Here is is the response I got from the Hitmen.

Mike,
Mark Stiles has moved down the hall and joined the Calgary Flames
marketing department. He will have a role in the broadcasting of Flames
PPV games.
As for the Hitmen we will be announcing a new play-by-play voice within
the next couple of days.
Regards,
The Calgary Hitmen Hockey Club

Best of luck to Mark with his new job!

Ahhhh at last an answer. Thank you very much for letting us know.

All the best to Mark hopefully we'll see him once in while at the 'Dome.

Looking forward to seeing who the NEW voice of the Hitmen will be.

Ergo
08-26-2005, 03:17 PM
Just received the Hitmen Insider via email.

Hitmen Press release (http://www.hitmenhockey.com/mediareleases/MEDIA_REL/comments.cgi?discussion_no=1&subject_no=266)

The_Vulk
08-26-2005, 04:50 PM
For Immediate Release : Friday, August 26, 2005

Calgary, AB – Calgary Flames President & CEO / Calgary Hitmen Governor Ken King announced today Brad Curle as the club’s new Broadcast / Communications Coordinator.
Brad relocates to Calgary from Lethbridge where he worked as the voice of the Lethbridge Hurricanes. In his role with the Hitmen, Curle will be the team’s radio broadcaster on the FAN 960 while having overall responsibility for the effective representation of the organization with the public. He will be charged with the creation and execution of community relations initiatives and will be the main contact person for all media.
Former play-by-play broadcaster Mark Stiles has joined the Calgary Flames marketing department as the Corporate, Key Account Manager and will also continue his work on the Flames pay-per-view broadcast team.
Flames pay-per-view broadcast team?

So long as the Hitmen don't go with a similar PPV.

Ergo
08-26-2005, 06:52 PM
For Immediate Release : Friday, August 26, 2005

Flames pay-per-view broadcast team?

So long as the Hitmen don't go with a similar PPV.

So long as the Hitmen don't go with a similar PPV. You should have put smiley after that one.

No chance of that ever happening.

ScottyWazz
08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Looks like the Flames will be going the route of the Canucks buy charging for home broadcast against some rivals.

Brodie's Gal
09-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Had lunch with Mark the other day and he's doing Marketing with the Flames. Sorry if this is old information but I'm just passing through! :)

Nielson11
09-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Congrats on getting Brad Curle as the new play-by-play guy.

He's the best the league has.