PDA

View Full Version : Central Scouting Mid Term.

RWAH
01-13-2014, 01:02 PM
WOW Not a Pat in the top 215 North American skaters and not a Hurricane not company to be proud of.

patsdude114
01-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Name 1 Regina Pats player that should be listed? its no surprise really as a lot of us on here have even stated that our 17yr old group is very weak and there isn't 1 17yr old on our roster who even deserves to be rated

chopper
01-13-2014, 02:32 PM
WOW Not a Pat in the top 215 North American skaters and not a Hurricane not company to be proud of.

Actually I think three Hurricane prospects made the grade:

Ried Duke....#65
Taylor Cooper....#148
Chase Phelps....(playing in USA high school, Played in Ivan Hlinka tourney) #162

PD114 is totally correct when he says there isn't a 17 year old (96) worth being on the list. It's concerning because they are one of our heavy building blocks for next year. There is simply nothing there. The scouting staff will have to pull a rabbit out the hat. Saskatoon picked up Ty Mappin for a conditional 7th. I saw this kid in the Alberta Bantam AAA all-star game. He was dominant. They got him cheap. Didn't make Everett this year. 17 points as a 16 year old which was twice as many as Brooks.

I think things could have been done different but we got the team we got. McVeigh will hopefully be a 20 yr old player that doesn't require us to trade a draft pick to improve our forward group. Christopher, D'amico are auditioning. I like them both. I think Sinitsyn is a distinct possibility but he would end up being a 2 headed monster.

The 2011 draft was an unprecedented failure. Not having a 1st round pick in 2012 didn't help. There has to be a crazy turnaround with our 97 forwards (Zimmer and Wagner) or I don't see much next year. Maybe Kroeker and Cole can come in and have great seasons. I guess if they were special they would have been here this year as opposed to the two we have, or in addition to. Reagan will likely be our highest rated 97.

All in all those two years 96, 97 are pretty thin. We seem to patch-work our lineup every fall. It's usually good enough to get us playing somewhere around .500 hockey. It may be a while until we a couple guys in the top 50 of CSS.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
01-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Im a little surprised hunt isn't on there. He is having a decent season considering injuries and all that.

Pats have sent more players to the NHL than any other team. Im fine with one year without that, especially since next year might be different.

Bighat
01-13-2014, 09:01 PM
97 is not thin at all. We have 3 16 year olds on the team and there good ones, we have 2 more that could have made it but you can't have too many. We traded a 16 year goalie who is going to be a good one. You guys are making too much of the 17 year old class, with a couple of moves next year we can bolster the roster.

chopper
01-14-2014, 11:53 AM
IMO our 97's are indeed very thin! The average points per 97 forward in the WHL is 9.9 to this date. That includes best to worst teams. A team like Vancouver has two kids who have 24 points together. So it's not like it's just Barzal or Merkley or the best teams. The number of games played is varied. One of our guys has 2 points and the other has 0. That would seem to put them pretty far behind the curve. While they are good skaters neither has shown any touch around the net. Schneider has nothing to do with the Pats after being a late call up and traded. Reagan is our most highly rated 97, the only one. Our hope for 97's may lay with Kroeker and Cole. Kroeker leads his league in scoring but Cole has struggled in Midget AAA'. Hopefully one of these guys emerge as a bona fide player. A big part of this predicament is not having a 1st round pick in 2012 (Marincin deal)

Shooter
01-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Some 1997's in the WHL league doing well because they play regular and are played shift by shift game by game, infact some boys on PP in some systems.

Those are the kids with points! The players logging 1-4 shifts per game and dress every 2nd or 3rd game will not get many points! Studies show confidence is today's #1 key to players success most have it stripped before the know it. Some coaches read body language and some don't care as they are hired to be fired. Development comes from playing situations and getting opportunities and this can move you forward or backwards as a player and this is the hockey curve to measure!

As far as the AAA prospects do not judge games on all points as the transition to the WHL is about skating, passing, competing, and team needs. Some AAA point leaders including: Ty McLean tore the league Saskatchewan AAA apart and not sure where he is playing now.

Hockey is development and you learn and get development from playing and competing.

Shooter
01-14-2014, 05:45 PM
97 is not thin at all. We have 3 16 year olds on the team and there good ones, we have 2 more that could have made it but you can't have too many. We traded a 16 year goalie who is going to be a good one. You guys are making too much of the 17 year old class, with a couple of moves next year we can bolster the roster.

Cole and Steele looked WHL ready at Macs Calgary Tourney! Cole on fire again after arm trouble. Both prospects will be in lineup next season and will add to offence.

patsdude114
01-14-2014, 05:47 PM
I didn't know a point/game player in midget is considered to be struggling

Here are a few of the players stats I could find playing Midget...
FORWARDS

Adam Berg
26gp 5goals 5assists 52pims (2PPG)

Rykr Cole
28gp 12goals 18assists 46pim (5PPG 2SH)

Jacob Elmer
37gp 20goals 29assists 16pim

Liam Finlay
16gp 13goals 24asssits 4pim

Colton Kroeker
22gp 18goals 26assists 20pim (4PPG)

Jared McAmmond
25gp 7goals 2assists 12pim (2SH)

Bryar Ortynski AJHL
33gp 3goals 0assistts 2pim (I said last year he had no business being in the WHL & by these terrible stats I would say he will be dropped soon)

Dane Schioler MJHL
28gp 7goals 10assists 80pim (1PPG)

Luc Smith
17gp 2goals 2assists 16pim (courtesy of Daniel Fink since I couldn't find nothing on Smith at all)

Sam Steel
14gp 7goals 16assists 8pim (2GWG 3PPG)

Brady Third
26gp 4goals 3assists 22pim (1SH)

DEFENSEMEN

Kendall Fransoo SJHL
39gp 0goals 1assist 39pim

Jared Freadrich
33gp 2goals 10assists 24pim

James Hilsendager
26gp 2goals 11assists 54pim

Brendan Kallis
25gp 3goals 2assists 53pim

Nikolas Koberstein AJHL
41gp 4goals 9assists 89pim (1PPG)

Ryan Krushen
23gp 3goals 6assists 26pim

William Lovell
30gp 2goals 8assists 4pim (1PPG)

Nathyn Mortlock AJHL
23gp 3goals 4 assists 16pim

Brady Pouteau
28gp 2goals 8assists 14pim

Liam Schioler
41gp 3goals 11assists 80pim

A few guys are having some very strong seasons in midget hockey some as 15yr olds some as 16yr olds....hopefully guys like Elmer, Kroeker, Steel & Cole can benefit from strong seasons & come to the next Pats camp with a lot of confidence & have some sort of impact with the Pats even at a young age.

Bighat
01-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Our 16 year olds hardly play, you can't judge them by points alone. Wagner and Zimmer are going to be 2 very good power forwards in this league for years to come.

patsdude114
01-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Look at Ty Mappin for instance he was the 7th ovr pick for his draft year played as a 16yr old for EVT and had some success but couldn't crack the roster this year and still wasn't recalled by Saskatoon after they traded for his rights for a 7th round pick.

Every player progresses in a different way, some take longer to see any sort of potential... take a look at Connor Gay for instance he was never selected in the Bantam Draft and really hasn't had any success at all until this season. If my memory serves me correct as well Dryden Hunt was also a list player & is 1 of the important players within our franchise moving forward, him & Gay will both be quality 20yr olds for us.

I believe Cameron is doing a great job putting Zimmer, Reagan & Wagner in positions to succeed which will help with confidence. Last year Brooks played a lot of minutes that he just wasn't ready for due to injuries last year & I believe it hurt his confidence and his development. I for one wish Wagner would get dressed alittle more then he has, I think he plays his role pretty good forechecks hard and throw's his body around.

RWAH
01-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Changing tack slightly: but talking about developing this years draft players. What are the thought of playing some of the 15 for their 5 games allowed. Bouroughs (spelling) came in at the end of the year when he was 15 and that helped him next season. If the East Division standings stay tight they may not want to play the 15 year olds. I know any of the drafted players can play after their season is over but do you think we will see them before that. mostly Steel Schoider and Smith as APs
Others comments always appreciated

patsdude114
01-14-2014, 10:31 PM
We will see Steel joining the team when his midget season is done, he has been battling shoulder injuries this season so they want to be very careful with that when putting him into the lineup against bigger strong guys. As for Smith & Liam Schioler their bigger kids could prob take alittle more abuse even at 15/16yrs old (both Smith & Schioler turn 16 next week, Steel in early feb)

For the most part though the older players are pretty good when they do go into the corner's with the AP players, I remember the 2 games that Jayden Halbgewachs played in Regina with the Warriors when he went into the corner's against the older Pats defensemen they were very easy on him...im sure that's a normal thing league wide though, to just do enough to force him to make a play instead of risking hurting him with how a player would be against an older guy.

Honestly I'd be more interested in seeing Kroeker play with us then Steel or Elmer

Fight Guy
01-15-2014, 06:23 AM
As far as the AAA prospects do not judge games on all points as the transition to the WHL is about skating, passing, competing, and team needs. Some AAA point leaders including: Ty McLean tore the league Saskatchewan AAA apart and not sure where he is playing now.
I completely forgot about him. Did a quick search. Has 10 goals and 20 assists in 36 games with the Weyburn Red Wings.

Shooter
01-15-2014, 09:51 AM
With the Pasts making a run in playoffs they will be looking at 16-17 year olds and Steele if shoulder is healed up 100%. Cameron will want players that can compete and play both sides of puck for playoffs run! Steele, Cole, Kroker, Schoiler likely the guys!

What is the playoff outlook snap shot projections for match up in our division?

Home ice could play a factor as most series may go distance as parity is close and will be the Power Play that wins series and the Pats have the tools for a dynamite PP.

Even strength most teams very close!

chopper
01-15-2014, 11:27 AM
Playoffs are decided by conference. We no longer use the division bracket. It would go 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 etc. Right now the teams are so close that you would be hard pressed to even take a guess. Obviously it would be best to finish top 4. For the East division it would mean at least home ice in the first round. After that it's back to conference rankings. In my mind winning the division and being #2 in the conference or being #7 in the conference. You don't want #8 and facing Calgary or Edmonton right off. At #7 you know you will face an East division team. The East is so close anything can happen. In 2008 after the Pats won the East and placed 2nd in the division, they we dispatched in 6 games first round by the Broncos.

You can't sugar coat it; if the Pats don't fix their PK a bunch they will be done quickly should they make the playoffs. Special teams will make or break you in the playoffs. Rankings themselves will change on a daily basis due to the extreme parity.

patsdude114
01-15-2014, 12:25 PM
I agree finishing 2nd or 7th is where the Pats want to be possibly even 4th or 5th finishing 6th will basically get you a date with EDM or CGY so really imo the only positions you don't want to finish is 6th or 8th EDM & CGY are the class of the Eastern Conference play them in the 2nd round fine no big deal. But between SC REG PA KOO MH BRN RD all those teams are so close & very little difference between each team would make for long series between any of those match ups.

As for the PK on the bright side it has been much better since xmas so there is progress there. I have noticed too that since I have b*tched a few times on Phil's blog about Cameron putting Hansen as the centerman on the PK he hasn't been taking those draws much as of late. Not saying I'm the reason why by any means but it just didn't make sense as Hansen is by far our worst player in the faceoff circle hell I'd rather see Zimmer taking the draws.

chopper
01-15-2014, 01:01 PM
I agree finishing 2nd or 7th is where the Pats want to be possibly even 4th or 5th finishing 6th will basically get you a date with EDM or CGY so really imo the only positions you don't want to finish is 6th or 8th EDM & CGY are the class of the Eastern Conference play them in the 2nd round fine no big deal. But between SC REG PA KOO MH BRN RD all those teams are so close & very little difference between each team would make for long series between any of those match ups.

As for the PK on the bright side it has been much better since xmas so there is progress there. I have noticed too that since I have b*tched a few times on Phil's blog about Cameron putting Hansen as the centerman on the PK he hasn't been taking those draws much as of late. Not saying I'm the reason why by any means but it just didn't make sense as Hansen is by far our worst player in the faceoff circle hell I'd rather see Zimmer taking the draws.

Who knows..maybe your griping got through:). The penalty kill has been better as of late and it's something they will want to focus on the rest of the way. If you win the draw and possession in your end, you shorten the PK by 30 seconds. Hanson's played well lately but face-offs aren't his strong suit. I hope McVeigh is decent on the draw since that would be a real help to our PK. Last year McCoy was good on draws but this year not so much. I notice McCoy isn't showing up on Kelowna's roster and he's red-X'd on the skaters roster?

patsdude114
01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
The way I look at the PK is it was so brutal during the 1st half of the year that there is only 1 way to go & that's up......I mean could it actually get any worse then it was? Now I'm sure the answer to that could be yes but god let's hope not

patsdude114
01-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Here is a quick update on Luc Smith's stats courtesy of Daniel Fink... its the last updated stats he has of him

Luc Smith
17gp 2goals 2assists 16pim (courtesy of Daniel Fink since I couldn't find nothing on Smith at all)

*I also updated it on page 1 but thought id make a post of it as well incase your fellow posters don't look backwards in a thread*

chopper
01-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Here is a quick update on Luc Smith's stats courtesy of Daniel Fink... its the last updated stats he has of him

Luc Smith

*I also updated it on page 1 but thought id make a post of it as well incase your fellow posters don't look backwards in a thread*

I am musing here but it might be nice to see Kroeker and Smith as #3 & #4 centres on the team next season. Both boys will probably be close to 6'4" by this fall. It's just food for though but I like the possibility:) I know Smith doesn't have good numbers but he is big and can handle the older guys ok. At camp he looked like a WHL type player. Skating a little iffy but I really liked him.

patsdude114
01-15-2014, 02:42 PM
Smith's skating actually improved a lot from the summer camp to training camp so 1 can hope that he is still working on improving it, but I mean he still skated better then McCoy did