PDA

View Full Version : memorial cup fell short (no surprise)

wango tango
01-21-2014, 03:46 PM
http://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/province-cuc-on-hook-for-memorial-cup-shortfall-1.1648519

when you're about 6 thousand fans short of a sell out every game, not meeting the profit guarantee is to be expected.

patsdude114
01-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Being a Saskatchewan resident this payment from the Sask Govnt really pisses me off a lot. The Blades ownership at the time made a bid on this tournament with thinking they would sell out every single game and what a joke that is to think that. I mean come on they couldn't even sellout any of the Blades games during the tournament but yet they put in this stupid bid thinking they could profit all of it back... no wonder why Brodsky sold so fast he didn't want to have to answer the questions of why such a big bid to begin with

The roster alone at the time they won the bid didn't say Memorial Cup contender at all let alone such an outrageous bid... The Blades of avg 9,000 or so fans for each Memorial Cup game but maybe they should of based their bid on no more then 11,000 or 12,000 at each game.

curwie
01-21-2014, 11:46 PM
That's what you get for gouging fans with crazy ticket prices and putting together a team that had no hope of winning the tournament. Surprised they made out as well as they did. Still made approx 2.5 million dollars.

chalk_one_up
01-22-2014, 09:37 AM
That's what you get for gouging fans with crazy ticket prices and putting together a team that had no hope of winning the tournament. Surprised they made out as well as they did. Still made approx 2.5 million dollars.

I attended a few Memorial Cup games (no way was I paying what they were asking for a tournament package) and I think one game was $54 to see Portland and Halifax. Sure the game was good, not $54 good. That also didn't include any beverages, program or food; had I purchased any of those (I did purchase the program), we're now looking at $70+ for that one game alone. I met a hockey friend there, but had I taken the entire family, that's over $200 for one game. That isn't to say that it broke the bank because it didn't, but let's defer back and see this for what it actually was, which was a junior hockey game. Sure it was on the grandest stage, but that shouldn't matter, it's still teenage amateur players. I love junior hockey, but it's getting a little more expensive to invest into. To take my family of 3 to a Raider game is nearly $70. I believe I attended several Rider games for less than $45 each, a Blue Jay's game for $48 (sitting opposite to first base) and took in a Minnesota Twins game for $37.

I also believe that the figures produced will go a long way in this tournament not being held in Saskatoon again. The committee will look at these numbers and will know better. It's too bad that the Blades and Saskatoon didn't get the outcome from this tournament. It's also a shame that the Blades haven't been able to draw attendance figures like their building would allow them to, and it's also a shame that the Blades' roster didn't even resemble the type of personnel that would constitute a Memorial Cup roster. This thing had disaster written all over it.

W_T_F
01-22-2014, 05:50 PM
I attended a few Memorial Cup games (no way was I paying what they were asking for a tournament package) and I think one game was $54 to see Portland and Halifax. Sure the game was good, not $54 good. That also didn't include any beverages, program or food; had I purchased any of those (I did purchase the program), we're now looking at $70+ for that one game alone. I met a hockey friend there, but had I taken the entire family, that's over $200 for one game. That isn't to say that it broke the bank because it didn't, but let's defer back and see this for what it actually was, which was a junior hockey game. Sure it was on the grandest stage, but that shouldn't matter, it's still teenage amateur players. I love junior hockey, but it's getting a little more expensive to invest into. To take my family of 3 to a Raider game is nearly $70. I believe I attended several Rider games for less than $45 each, a Blue Jay's game for $48 (sitting opposite to first base) and took in a Minnesota Twins game for $37.

I also believe that the figures produced will go a long way in this tournament not being held in Saskatoon again. The committee will look at these numbers and will know better. It's too bad that the Blades and Saskatoon didn't get the outcome from this tournament. It's also a shame that the Blades haven't been able to draw attendance figures like their building would allow them to, and it's also a shame that the Blades' roster didn't even resemble the type of personnel that would constitute a Memorial Cup roster. This thing had disaster written all over it.

I couldn't help but notice you didn't mention how much it would have cost for you to go to an NHL game. You'd be lucky to come away with one arm left...and that's just to go see the Oilers or Flames!!! Hockey is totally treated different here than anywhere else in the world. It's like "they" know it's our drug, those bastards!!!!

mjw22
01-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Apparently a drug less and less are taking if you look at WHL attendance. I went to 2 games 2 ticket and food simply a rip off. Its amateur not pro ppl

chalk_one_up
01-22-2014, 10:42 PM
I couldn't help but notice you didn't mention how much it would have cost for you to go to an NHL game. You'd be lucky to come away with one arm left...and that's just to go see the Oilers or Flames!!! Hockey is totally treated different here than anywhere else in the world. It's like "they" know it's our drug, those bastards!!!!

Big NHL fan here, but it's an overrated product for the price. Funny you mention this, I was on Ticketmaster looking for tickets today for a game in March, and...NOPE, won't be attending any NHL games with prices like that.

What is it with ****ty teams hiking up the prices, I mean, at what point does it make any sense? I guess as long as idiotic fans continue to shell out for a terrible product, I guess they can charge a King's ransom.

wango tango
01-24-2014, 03:18 PM
http://www.lfpress.com/2014/01/21/saskatoon-models-bars-more-clubs-from-hosting-cup

a few thoughts in no real order...

as much as i don't like the idea of the prince alberts, lethbridges, swift currents, kootenays, etc of the whl not having a chance at landing a memorial cup as host, i like the idea of those teams taking a financial hit without big chl paydays from the memorial cup even less.

you could argue if smaller market franchises across the chl need the big payouts from events like the memorial cup to stay afloat there is a problem with the business model.

live sports are in a fight for their ticket sales revenue lives. against the tv. why leave the comfort of your home, with cheaper beer, better seats, a huge screen, great sound, and no distractions.

the memorial cup as an event has its flaws. the chl would do well to address and fix them. no easy fix though.

Madmax
02-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Big NHL fan here, but it's an overrated product for the price. Funny you mention this, I was on Ticketmaster looking for tickets today for a game in March, and...NOPE, won't be attending any NHL games with prices like that.

What is it with ****ty teams hiking up the prices, I mean, at what point does it make any sense? I guess as long as idiotic fans continue to shell out for a terrible product, I guess they can charge a King's ransom.

Just came back from Phoenix. Watched the Penguins last Saturday. Bought 4 tickets down behind the Pittsburg net 12 rows up for $65.00 each. Was cheaper than the Memorial cup tickets here. We bought the tickets from a Coyotes ticket broker. The game was also sold out. Never buy from Ticket Master if you don't have to.