PDA

View Full Version : Soft Hockey

Quarter Century Fan
02-02-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm not sure what the rest of the fans are seeing but it seems we are playing too soft. At the beginning of the season we would dump the puck in when other teams would try to shut down their blue line, fight through the checks then forecheck aggressively to get the puck back.
The last few games have looked like we play no contact hockey!! Soft and Boring!!:dead:

franchise
02-03-2014, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure what the rest of the fans are seeing but it seems we are playing too soft. At the beginning of the season we would dump the puck in when other teams would try to shut down their blue line, fight through the checks then forecheck aggressively to get the puck back.
The last few games have looked like we play no contact hockey!! Soft and Boring!!:dead:

Lamb's shortcomings are getting exposed. No observable system, Honka plays pond hockey, line matching at home puts his 3rd and 4th lines out against Med Hats first and second reducing his own first and second line ice time by more than half. Worse than that though that is like saying to his top 6 "you aren't as good as them". Against PG it was nothing but a fire drill gone wrong. Defense-men sliding around the ice taking themselves out of the play all night long. Changing up line-mates on a whim and not recognizing good chemistry when it shows itself. The pp looks like it is just trying to get someone to score from the point. That's all well and good if you hit the net or have someone in front but the shots are getting blocked and no one is in front. Its not as if the are actually using the umbrella, you can see the hesitancy from the players because they have had either no instruction or negative instruction.

This team has no direction and even less structure. Its too bad because they have as much talent and ability up front and in goal as anyone. If they are to make the playoffs and advance at all it will be because they get great goaltending and the players simply ignore the Coaches.

trucker
02-03-2014, 08:41 PM
I kinda like that lamb plays our 3rd line against other teams top lines actually. Mackay and company play a good shut down game! When Lamb first got here I (as well as many other posters on here) complained because we only rolled with our top two lines. And to me, that's how you burn players out and lose hockey games. Championship teams win because all players play. Not just the top two lines. I don't think you need to play top lines against each other if you don't have too. And I don't think that shows a lack of confidence in our top lines either. Indeed the opposite, I feel! That shows the players that the coach has confidence in them all. Whether it's roll players, point getters or whatever, we are a team and each player plays a vital roll in the teams success. Depth on any team is so crucial and we are finally seeing that here.
I am not trying to criticize your views in any way though, we are all entitled to opinions! And quit honestly I never thought I'd be praising Lamb, but he has made a lot of positive changes to this team. I was, at the time, quite concerned the way the board awarded him with another contract, but so far so good I'd say. Let's hope we will finally get a good run into the playoffs this year!

Quarter Century Fan
02-04-2014, 10:13 PM
I enjoyed how the Broncos were playing until about the trade deadline. Since then they have been playing uninspired and unwilling to take a hit to make a play or to hit anyone. They are not a skilled enough group to get away with that in my opinion.
Tonight the struggling PA Raiders even beat us and they were 2 - 10 in their last 12 games.:o

Quarter Century Fan
02-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Well, that was a much better played game against Brandon on Sunday night. It would be nice if the referees would allow bodychecking without giving charging penalties though. Maybe that's why there is so little bodychecking in the league these days.:o

Harvest
02-11-2014, 11:44 AM
I dont agree with truckers comments about how the mckay line had been a great shut down line. Teams had learnt after the first 20 how to match them. Teams top lines were loving that match up. Now with putting cave back there its really put a threat of scoring there that wasnt there before, teams were able to not worry about that line playing offensive at all. None of the top teams in the league have shut down lines, shutdown pairings yes not lines. The checking penalties is a result of the mcrimmon advantage. He must have dirty pics on alot of people. Seen two really good games in a row now, keep it rolling.

sbtatter
02-12-2014, 02:09 PM
It would be nice if the referees would allow bodychecking without giving charging penalties though. Maybe that's why there is so little bodychecking in the league these days.:o

I second this post. If you saw how Hawryluk was suspended for 2 games on Burrows back in Dec, you'd swear hockey was now a non contact sport. The refs are ruining it with these penalties on fair open ice hits

franchise
02-12-2014, 02:15 PM
As far as penalties go, between their egos and their inability to separate what appear to be personal vendettas from their professional (and boy do I use that term lightly with these three) responsibilities on the ice, I cannot fathom how they are not called on the carpet by the league. I have personally watched as these three stooges have ruined game after game in a manner which they seem almost certainly to have planned prior to taking the ice. I just cringe when I see them assigned to a game I am about to watch.

JMoney1988
02-14-2014, 10:37 PM
As far as penalties go, between their egos and their inability to separate what appear to be personal vendettas from their professional (and boy do I use that term lightly with these three) responsibilities on the ice, I cannot fathom how they are not called on the carpet by the league. I have personally watched as these three stooges have ruined game after game in a manner which they seem almost certainly to have planned prior to taking the ice. I just cringe when I see them assigned to a game I am about to watch.

Don't forget about Derek Zalaski, he seems to hate everyone

trucker
02-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Another game lost. Another game in which we could have gained valuable points, that we will want back and need at the end of the season. Tired of inconsistent play from this team. Not sure what is going on. We are a team that needs to finish at the top of the division. We are definitely good enough to achieve that. Players need to start finding a way.

franchise
02-18-2014, 06:28 PM
Another game lost. Another game in which we could have gained valuable points, that we will want back and need at the end of the season. Tired of inconsistent play from this team. Not sure what is going on. We are a team that needs to finish at the top of the division. We are definitely good enough to achieve that. Players need to start finding a way.

These guys play like they are left to their own devices. And I suspect they are.

dodywood4ever
02-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Pretty sad when Odgers is the only one who seems to care then gets 2 shifts per game. This is a soft, uninspired team that is destined for an early playoff exit. Look no further than the head coach. Guy just stands there with his arms crossed no matter what happens. Team has zero identity or system. Lamb was and still is an awful hire and this team will go nowhere with him behind the bench.

sbtatter
02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
How's Gawdin (sp) working out this year? What player could you compare him to?

dodywood4ever
02-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Gawdin has got huge upside. Wicked shot. Not sure who I would compare him. Ulmer with more speed maybe? He is going to be a top player in this league.

franchise
03-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Gawdin has got huge upside. Wicked shot. Not sure who I would compare him. Ulmer with more speed maybe? He is going to be a top player in this league.

I can see Gawdin wearing the C at some point in his career, but only if he learns about his own end of the ice. He has the size and skill but he seems to get lost in his own zone. His dash 11 is actually a pretty good stat in this instance. But really, as a rookie, who doesn't?