PDA

View Full Version : First place

RWAH
02-15-2014, 09:22 AM
A gut it out win in PA. Wapple saved their bacon. Still lapses in effort and a real weak PK almost cost them the game.
Do like the line we now have and looking forward to tonight and Mondays game. Have a chance to get a lead in first place.

chopper
02-15-2014, 11:11 AM
There were three reasons the Pats won this game: Wapple-Wapple-Wapple!

He may not have got a star in the game but without him we lose it plain and simple.

I watched in disbelief as we gave up 4 PP goals. We had a 5 minute PP and didn't score. Our specialty teams were brutal as was our discipline. We scored a couple fluke goals in the game including the tying goal. We managed to gut our a win, even after Draisatl had a penalty shot in the OT, and then stones them in the shoot out. Believe me when I say it was all Wapple.

RWAH
02-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Says something about the league and the homers in PA when Wapple did not get the first star as he made the largest influence in the outcome of the game. I think the league need to look at the people and the method of awarding game stars

Bighat
02-15-2014, 12:19 PM
It's pretty amazing what a good goalie does for the confidence of a hockey team. We now have 3 really strong lines. Phil said last nite he would like to see the 3rd get a chance on the pp. tonite should be one hell of a game with a fast pace. Can Wapple play every game this weekend? Our 20 year olds next year look like Christopher, demico, and mcveigh that's not bad when you consider where we started at the beginning of the year for 19yr olds.

chopper
02-15-2014, 02:06 PM
I'm pretty sure Wapple will go again, and in fact I bet he's looking forward to it. MacAuley had extreme trouble with Swift Current at the start of the season so odds are they won't use him against the Broncos. It should be a great game but with both teams going back to back, you never know. The discipline and specialty teams simply must be better than last night. It was painful to watch. Hoping for better tonight.

patsdude114
02-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Great to see us in 1st place finally no matter how long we stay there for, no 1 gave the Pats a chance this season. I figured we'd be battling between 7th & 9th (which could still happen if we hit a losing streak) getting Wapple was about 7months too late, Lang should of got him from MJ although I'm sure MJ didn't want to trade us a promising 18yr old goalie to begin with.

As for 20yr olds, I agree with the 3 players listed above but I do think that if for some reason Synitsyn ends up here in training camp we gotta take him over D'Amico. Let's face it Synitsyn hasn't really played a lot of hockey in the last 3yrs & may get reassigned back to junior for the reason alone. I'm not saaying its a forsure thing but I'd rather have him as a 20yr old Dman then D'Amico (even though I have always liked the guy) Synitsyn has been 1 of our best Dmen since after xmas, he moves the puck so good, has a cannon of a shot (which he needs to use more), skates like the wind. Remember prob 10+yrs ago we had a 20yr old russian by the name of Tolpeko & that seemed to work out pretty good for us

Fight Guy
02-15-2014, 03:09 PM
It was actually eight seasons ago. That's when the Pats had Kalus also. Kalus really should have been sent back that next season. What a waste.

Wapple is money. He will, with out a doubt, start tonight. The game is just too important. Same goes for Monday afternoon against Brandon. MacAuley will probably get a start on Wednesday in S'toon. I don't think Wapple needs any pushing from MacAuley. The way he has been playing, he will be leaned on while MacAuley will give him a break here and there.

I won't compare this time to the last time these two teams played at all. I've been excited for this one as they haven't played since the first week of October. They played them three times up to that point, which all those games were before the Pats found their chemistry and got used to and bought into Cameron's systems. The Pats were a much different team back then. With Swift being at the top of the division for so long, I really wanted to see how these teams match up at this point in the season. Much like the start of the season, they play each other three times with in about two weeks again.

The PK against PA has been bad all season. It's they're Achilles heal with the Raiders. So many times in the past, they have killed the Pats on the PP. Last night was no different. One bright spot was the 5on3. They defended very well, up until the Raiders got the one extra pass across that stopped everybody and left the wide open net to be scored on. The way things are going though, they only have to worry about them once more this season. It's been looking like PA will be lucky to catch Red Deer for the last spot, and I'm pretty confident the Pats aren't going to plummet out of the playoffs.

patsdude114
02-15-2014, 03:58 PM
I couldn't recall the exact year but I knew it had to be around the 10yr mark & yes Kalus was such a waste of talent after BOS took to the AHL at age 19, oh the memories of him he was a pure goal scorer.......wonder what he could of turned into had he played 1 more year of junior to work on his defensive game.

Anyways I got to miss this all important game tonight & it pisses me off since gotta haul snow tonight. I think the exact same as you fight guy with wondering how we will match up against swifty now, at the start of the year our players were still learning new systems & we had a big question of who would still make the team where swift had a very vetern presence of a top 6 returning plus 1 of the top Dmen in our division in Heatherington.

Go Pats I will be listening on the radio if the damn AM radio wants to work properly in my dump truck, wish we were like MJ & used crystal clear FM radio.

mjw22
02-15-2014, 04:18 PM
was there a football game on when the Ice were in town maybe a concert lol
3700 fans show up not a lot better than MJ PA SC whos combined pop isnt half your cities. Maybe the Pats wont be around in 10 years. when we were in first we had sellouts lol:groovy: enjoy the snow

sbtatter
02-15-2014, 04:40 PM
I couldn't recall the exact year but I knew it had to be around the 10yr mark & yes Kalus was such a waste of talent after BOS took to the AHL at age 19, oh the memories of him he was a pure goal scorer.......wonder what he could of turned into had he played 1 more year of junior to work on his defensive game.

Anyways I got to miss this all important game tonight & it pisses me off since gotta haul snow tonight. I think the exact same as you fight guy with wondering how we will match up against swifty now, at the start of the year our players were still learning new systems & we had a big question of who would still make the team where swift had a very vetern presence of a top 6 returning plus 1 of the top Dmen in our division in Heatherington.

Go Pats I will be listening on the radio if the damn AM radio wants to work properly in my dump truck, wish we were like MJ & used crystal clear FM radio.

Been a good winter to have a snow removal contract!

patsdude114
02-15-2014, 05:24 PM
was there a football game on when the Ice were in town maybe a concert lol
3700 fans show up not a lot better than MJ PA SC whos combined pop isnt half your cities. Maybe the Pats wont be around in 10 years. when we were in first we had sellouts lol:groovy: enjoy the snow

Our crowds have been crappy for the entertaining hockey we have been playing, but 3700 for the gaame against KOO was pretty good considering the snow storm Regina had during the day.

A lot of people just refuse to support the Parker's anymore I know between 5-10 people alone & I'm sure others know different people as well.

Been a good winter to have a snow removal contract!

Hasn't been that great here in Regina, avg at best I'd say

Fight Guy
02-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Ya, missing the playoffs 4 of 5 seasons, even with great players, is going to hurt ya. Especially when thats the worst stretch in decades. Fans have come out on select nights, and each time they disapointed. Add on the Parker hate with the Pats in first by one point in a very tight division...ya, not a lot of people are going to come out. If the Pats put some more wins together here and create some space between Swift and Brandon, people may want to see what's up and come out some more. Hopefully anyway.

Bighat
02-15-2014, 10:42 PM
That was an awesome game tonite we outplayed them all nite. We should have won but we played 65 strong minutes. The line combos look set and the 4 th line looked good aswell. We still look for the cute play too much instead of shooting but I can't complain about the effort.

chopper
02-16-2014, 12:01 AM
It was a good effort but there were still enough mistakes to lose. Burroughs wasn't very good tonight. He didn't challenge Black on the first goal and Cave went around him like a pylon on the second goal. In what was going to be a tight game, those are enough mistakes to lose. He might as well have hauled Cave down rather than get beat like a rented mule.

We had a lot of shots but again fired a lot of long range shots. We didn't get many second or third shots from rebounds. We also didn't get enough traffic once again. Our best players weren't our best players tonight. Leier over handled the puck and lost it numerous times. Stephenson was the only one who seemed to have any jump on the first line. I'm not thrilled with Klimchuk's effort or production. I've seen this many times; get a contract and a big head to match. Right now he is back on the #1 line but still playing like his heads up his donkey.

The good out of the game is that our line combos seem to be pretty stout. The 3rd and 4th line scored even strength. The down side is this was a 3 point game we should have had. It was missed opportunity.

RWAH
02-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Agree with you Chopper a good effort lastnight and a lost opportunity. Klimchuk in the last three or four games has missed a lot of chances. to slow on the shot or not strong on his stick. Last night he missed a simple tip in and at the end of the game on a partial break tripped on the advertising paint and lost the puck. IMO we out played them but they out goal tended us. Im sure the first goal Wapple would want back, the shot was from the outside of the face off circle

chopper
02-16-2014, 12:09 PM
Agree with you Chopper a good effort lastnight and a lost opportunity. Klimchuk in the last three or four games has missed a lot of chances. to slow on the shot or not strong on his stick. Last night he missed a simple tip in and at the end of the game on a partial break tripped on the advertising paint and lost the puck. IMO we out played them but they out goal tended us. Im sure the first goal Wapple would want back, the shot was from the outside of the face off circle

I'm a big Wapple fan but I do agree with you that the first goal was a bit of stinker. He was on his knees early deep in his net and didn't challenge the shooter at all. In his defence Burroughs played that poorly and should have engaged Black much earlier. And no the shot was not deflected like Andrews suggested. I had a clear view and it was a good shot but very stoppable. I got a sense that maybe Wapple is a bit tired or least he looked like that to me at times. Remember how blasé he was on some shoot ins and long range shots. He seemed to be unsure what to do and had to freeze up a couple times. He just seemed a little off.

The last few games when Klimchuk was on the 2nd line he seemed out of sorts and you could hear a lot of F-bombs coming from him. He is now back on the 1st line and I heard F-bombs from him again last night. He wasn't very good in PA either. He needs to find his game again and like you say be more aware and play much stronger than he has as of late.

I really like the line combos and hope they can stay together. That 3rd line are*turning into beasts. D'Amico is 200 Lbs, Hanson is 195 Lbs, and Christopher is close to 190 Lbs. They can move and they are tough to handle. There is something to be said for big bodies. In the playoffs a line like this will be invaluable. Gay seemed to play better and more relaxed on the 4th line without the pressure of being top six. He is now the top guy on the line with Brooks and was very effective. Depending on the situation they can use Wagner, Zimmer or Kammerer as the third guy. It was a good looking line with Wagner on it.

The Pats can still punch their own ticket. They must continue finding ways to win like maybe improving the PP and PK. The same effort and a few less mistakes and they should do OK. First place is nice but it's not the end all be all. Hitting the playoffs clicking on all cylinders is more important. I wouldn't be upset with #7 either.

RWAH
02-16-2014, 12:33 PM
As you know I am a MacAuley fan but do agree that Wapple played his way to # 1. Through all of it Wapple has been very casual, appears almost disinterested, during warm ups so it is hard to read any change in him pregame. Hoping it is just tired and the two tenders can feed off each other and both can play at this level. Will be interesting to see who starts on Monday. I am not saying that Wapple's play pushed him out of the crease but if MacAuley could recover his November form we would have two capable tenders so neither would not get over worked.

patsdude114
02-16-2014, 01:27 PM
I for 1 have not been happy with Klimchuk's play both as a Pats fan & as a Flames prospect (sadly I'm a Flames fan) him & Leier have both tailed off in the second half of the year. Teams get tighter defensively in the second half & its not aas easy, the true elite players still find a way to produce (see Stephenson). This is the exact reason why Klimchuk will not make the Flames as a 19yr old, he will be back in a Pats uniform to work on his game & dominate like how true junior elite players do.

Let's also remember th Wapple is only 18yrs old most 18yr olds are not ready to carry the load game in & game out as a starting goaltender in this leagueit takes a lot of mental toughness to be the every day guy. Look for MacAuley to start against Brandon, I haven't seen Wapple play the last 2 games at home due to snow work I'm just going by what you guys are saying & sounds like the mental game is getting to him abit.

chopper
02-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Competition between the goalies is good, and I wouldn't mind seeing macAuley against Brandon on Monday. I think big Mac has to get some game form back again because you never know what could happen at any time. PA really physically roughed up Wapple on Friday despite the win. They crashed into him and at one point he was down. That resulted in a 5 min penalty to PA. Additionally he hasn't been the full time starter in either MJ or Medicine Hat. His stamina might need some building up. A tweak or injury can de-rail a team if they don't have two competent goalies. MacAuley helped get the team to where it is and needs to get some game action soon. Having two sharp capable goalies is nothing but good.

chopper
02-16-2014, 04:41 PM
I for 1 have not been happy with Klimchuk's play both as a Pats fan & as a Flames prospect (sadly I'm a Flames fan) him & Leier have both tailed off in the second half of the year. Teams get tighter defensively in the second half & its not aas easy, the true elite players still find a way to produce (see Stephenson). This is the exact reason why Klimchuk will not make the Flames as a 19yr old, he will be back in a Pats uniform to work on his game & dominate like how true junior elite players do.

Let's also remember th Wapple is only 18yrs old most 18yr olds are not ready to carry the load game in & game out as a starting goaltender in this leagueit takes a lot of mental toughness to be the every day guy. Look for MacAuley to start against Brandon, I haven't seen Wapple play the last 2 games at home due to snow work I'm just going by what you guys are saying & sounds like the mental game is getting to him abit.

Klimchuk has to be a big factor if the Pats are going to do anything down the stretch. I have seen this happen so very many times before. A kid get a big contract and signing bonus in the middle of the year and his play drops like a stone. He thinks he has made it and doesn't need to put out anymore. Take a look at Stephenson now; he's working his tail off because he wants a contract from Washington. If he continues what he's doing then no doubt at seasons end he will be signed. There is the difference.

Last year Klimchuk was money. He was scoring winning goals regularly and at time carrying the team. Stephenson on the other hand wasn't that good a lot of the time. I remember Klimchuk scoring the winning goal in Victoria last year late in the game. I believe he had another winner out there. I sure hope he gets his head straight and starts playing the way he is supposed to.

sbtatter
02-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Klimchuk has to be a big factor if the Pats are going to do anything down the stretch. I have seen this happen so very many times before. A kid get a big contract and signing bonus in the middle of the year and his play drops like a stone. He thinks he has made it and doesn't need to put out anymore. Take a look at Stephenson now; he's working his tail off because he wants a contract from Washington. If he continues what he's doing then no doubt at seasons end he will be signed. There is the difference.

Last year Klimchuk was money. He was scoring winning goals regularly and at time carrying the team. Stephenson on the other hand wasn't that good a lot of the time. I remember Klimchuk scoring the winning goal in Victoria last year late in the game. I believe he had another winner out there. I sure hope he gets his head straight and starts playing the way he is supposed to.
Getzlaff and Schenn suffered from this problem

patsdude114
02-17-2014, 02:51 PM
There is definitely a long list of players that sign mid season in junior and their play just tails off. Klimchuk is just another name added to that list, they get the big signing bonus money and its like the rest of the year doesn't matter. There is no way in hell he will make the Flames as a 19yr old, whoever they draft this coming year will be ahead of Klimchuk.

Looks like Hunt may of sustained another concussion from the big hit Waltz laid on him. I didn't like the look of his rush from the get go he isn't agile enough he was like a sitting duck with the puck at top speed, the type of player he is he needs to chip it in once hitting the red line. Sometimes these kids have to learn the hard way, I hope he doesn't have another concussion but he looked extremely woozy after being on the ice for almost 5mins

RWAH
02-17-2014, 05:20 PM
The WHL is acting on hits to the head and that was one. I will not be surprised to see a supplemental suspension for that hit. If he is concussed he may be through for the season and that is too bad as he was playing very well.
On the Klimchuck watch that was a better game for him, more effort, more speed and smarter with and without the puck. Maybe his ego is back to normal size. Good to see him score so that monkey is off his back.

Fight Guy
02-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Had to miss this one for some OT. Wish I hadn't :p

I couldn't believe how loud the crowd was on the radio after they announced the Waltz/Gay penalties. They were drowning Phil and Fink out! From what I've heard so far, sounds like it was a decent forearm/elbow Hunt took to the head. I'll have to wait for the highlights or till the fight goes up on HockeyFights to pass my own judgement. I really hope it didn't take Hunt out for the season though. He's having way too good a season for this to happen.

chopper
02-17-2014, 05:50 PM
The pats played well. The hit to Hunt was a high hit to the head and in my mind targeted. The refs were telling Cameron they didn't see it. Four sets of eyes and nobody seen it. That's their job isn't it? At the start of the 2nd period Cameron was telling Crich the kid had a concussion by pointing to his head. All Crich could do was shrug his shoulders. 4000 fans saw and let the refs know about it. I certainly hope nobody attempts to justify that type of hit. In my mind the pi_s ant League never does anything meaningful with these hits anyway. Maybe the only way to deal with these head hits is to keep the offender out until the injured player returns. That sounds about right to me.

My main concern is Hunt who is having a great season and really deserving of being a top six forward. I hope this doesn't keep him out too long.

witness
02-17-2014, 05:55 PM
I think you guys are being a little hard on Klimchuk. He has been snakebit for the past couple of weeks. But, I thought the effort has been there the last 3 games. I think that whole line has had a down couple of weeks. On the plus side is the play of the third and forth lines. Leier's line is not generating a ton of chances, but has had great puck possession in the offensive zone.

Losing Hunt is going to hurt. Not only this year, but next year. If he is concussed, I think his career is done. I feel bad for the kid.

sbtatter
02-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Maybe the only way to deal with these head hits is to keep the offender out until the injured player returns. That sounds about right to me.

If the league found a way to police it properly, I like the idea of intentional head hits/hitting from behinds, the offender is out at least as long as the player injured.
Also, another radical option would be for the offending player to be out of the current game, and the team with the injured player gets to pick another opposition player to be out for the rest of the game, that would make players accountable to their team-mates.
Didn't see todays incident so can't comment on it. Waltz is likely Bdn's most physical player.

chopper
02-17-2014, 06:22 PM
I don't think anyone has been too hard on Klimchuk. In fact on the post game show they talked about him being "perimeter" in the last several games, and that's correct. He was more physical and doing the things that got him to where he is. He was engaged, physical and fast. Hence a goal and assist. That's how he needs to play.

Hunt's injury is a bad situation for us since we now have to find someone to play with Leier and McVeigh. We have to keep the third line in place as they're a really good line. The fourth line started to look good. Now there is bunch of change plus the loss of a very good player. Very unfortunate situation.

RWAH
02-17-2014, 06:34 PM
Chopper not to defend the league but since January there has been 4 players suspended for major penalties for hits to the head, totaling 9 games and there has been 4 supplemental suspensions but the reasons are not clarified. The SS,s are for incident were a penalty was not called. I think we will see a SS on this incident.

Fight Guy
02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Saw the hit on the news earlier. They even went ahead and played it in slow motion right after. Looks like Waltz' elbow missed Hunt, but got him with his shoulder. He cut in to lay a punishing hit and he brought his arm up through the head after the initial contact. It was definitely a dirty play that didn't have to end up the way it did. He still could of hit him without going high. Definite suspension.

chopper
02-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Chopper not to defend the league but since January there has been 4 players suspended for major penalties for hits to the head, totaling 9 games and there has been 4 supplemental suspensions but the reasons are not clarified. The SS,s are for incident were a penalty was not called. I think we will see a SS on this incident.

I get what your saying and understand it. What i'm saying is that the WHL as well as all the other Leagues have to recognize the seriousness of the situation. I am not entirely convinced they do, notwithstanding the penalties that have been imposed to date. The average seems to be a 3 game suspension. The punishment still doesn't fit the crime.

When Burroughs was concussed earlier this season the offender got two games and we lost Burroughs for 7 or 8 games. That's not much of a deterrent! So now do we send out a 3rd or 4th line guy to take out a teams top player. We get 3 or 4 games and their guy is out 2 months? I would hope we're a classier organization that that. After Brayden McNabb hit Joey Hishon in the Memorial Cup, Hishon took 1&1/2 years to fully recover. McNabb got two games.

I have long said if the WHL and other junior leagues don't handle, eventually it will end up in the Courts. There is already a class action suit started in the NHL and when a kids professional chances are taken from him due to a head hit, many people and organizations can look at legal action. If the WHL acts with due diligence and imposed a penalty like SBTATTER suggests, I'm betting this reckless behaviour would stop immediately. Otherwise if I can knock out one of your star players and my guy gets three or four games, who comes out ahead providing you take the morality out of it?

sbtatter
02-17-2014, 09:38 PM
The Burroughs hit is contoversial, it's debatable whether it should have been a suspension, that was an open ice hit with no malice, no high arm, Burroughs bent over and put himself in harms way. That's the trouble with invoking big suspensions, there's different types of hits, there's the ones from behind with intent that Hawryluk did to Zaggregan, and there's the one on Burroughs that was totaly a hockey play. No wonder the leagues having trouble with them because we see the same play and have differing views about them

RWAH
02-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Are you suggesting we have GM and coaches in the WHL that would condone or encourage one player to injure another; to head hunt? I'm not sure I can buy into that. The players themselves, in this day of social media and the number of times the players play or train together, at the Subway, Prospect, U17, U18, World Junior, NHL camps, trades and at off season training facilities. The community is only approx. 550 players.

Bighat
02-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Let's go get a goon for the rematch (one of the big thunder kids should be able to skate) just like the old days.

patsdude114
02-18-2014, 02:12 PM
here is a link to the hit that Waltz delivered on Hunt, definitely a very high hit looked like it was the shoulder and missed with the elbow though but even shoulder hits to the head are penalties

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/122511

chopper
02-18-2014, 02:29 PM
It was deliberate targeting of the head. It looks more like a forearm since you typically lead with your arm, but targeting with your shoulder is just as bad. It sure as hell wasn't a "hockey Play" and Hunt wasn't putting himself in a "vulnerable" position.

patsdude114
02-18-2014, 03:13 PM
I highly doubt it was a diblerate blow to the head, if that's the case Hunt would still be laying on the ice with the speed he was travelling. I really thought Hunt was going to chip it in once he hit the red line, with his speed & strength he would of been the 1st on the puck.

Let's face it Hunt isn't the most agile player, he's a north south skater & strong down low. He was a sitting duck once he hit the blue line, he did put himself in a vulnerable position he wasn't playing within his limitations. By no means am I defending the high hit, sad to see a guy get hurt on any play. I bet Waltz gets no more then 3 games more realistically 2 games.

chopper
02-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Your damned right it was intentional. In case you weren't there Hunt was on the ice for a hell of a long time. The guy comes across and then goes up high on him. How the hell is that not targeting? The reason his shoulder was up is because his elbows were up. You can't seriously suggest that this was incidental collision or that Hunt somehow was responsible because of his speed? Hunt had every right to be carrying the puck across the blue-line. If the guy keeps his arms down it's a clean hit but he didn't did he? Are you saying the malice of the hit is dependent on the time the player lays on the ice?

It was a goddam dirty hit that may put out a key component of our team for the season. The length of the suspension is irrelevant. One of our key guys is injured and possibly out a long time. We're going down the stretch shorthanded. I am ticked off that an irresponsible hit has put out a 17 goal scorer, and sure as hell not going to put any of this on him. I pay to see the best possible product and now that's been compromised. I am not going to be an apologist for an irresponsible player.

sbtatter
02-18-2014, 05:15 PM
I don't think any GM/coach is going to ask players to hurt other players. In fact, concussions have been bad for Bdn lately, Seaman, Bukarts, Hawryluk and Quenneville just to name a few in the last season and a half.
In my mind, the obvious hits from behind are easy to increase suspensions on. The obvious high hits to the head should be penalized tougher. The hard part in my mind is when a player puts himself in a vulnerable position a split second before an opposition player is about to hit them, don't have time to slow up and hit the vulnerable guy in the head, how do you take that out of the game without taking away all hits?
Brandon has faced supplemental discipline 3 times so far this season for a total of 6 games. They have been the recipient of 5 infractions against for a total of 9 games.
Regina has faced supplemental discipline 4 times so far this season for a total of 5 games and $500. They have been the recipient of 4 infractions against for a total of 9 games and $500.
Obviously if Waltz gets suspended that will even things up for Bdn. But hopefully it illustrates that Brandon aren't an overly aggressive team, in fact their PIM's are only 738 against Regina's 1034.

sbtatter
02-18-2014, 05:19 PM
I forgot to add that the video for the Waltz hit is pretty fuzzy, but from a poor vantage point I'd be more inclined to say that was a suspendable hit than Hawryluk on Burroughs

RWAH
02-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Chopper I am glad you clarified.
The WHL has listed the discipline TBD on Waltz for the game

chopper
02-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Chopper I am glad you clarified.
The WHL has listed the discipline TBD on Waltz for the game

No problem buddy. You and I are both loyal Regina Pat fans hoping for the best from our team. These situations don't help much. Unfortunately no matter how few/many games they give the offender, our guy will be out much longer than that.

patsdude114
02-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Last time I checked even Pats players are allowed to get hit when they have the puck, & yes that means big hits as well. Waltz picked his spot cause Hunt put himself in a vulnerable position to be stepped up on, unfortunately the hit was high.

Its called being aware of your surroundings, all the elite players are aware they don't put themselves in these situations at this level. Like I've said before if Hunt chips it in like I fully expected him to do on his rush he finishes that game injury free, he tried to get too cute & go end to end where his skill level isn't quite there yet (& may never be as that's not the type of player he is).

You can be pissed off all you want to be about the high hit, yes its unfortunate that these things happen but there is some responsibilty on the player getting hit as well. If you don't think that's true then you need to stop watching hockey. Any player who tries to go end to end there is always that risk of taking a big hit & it just so happened yesterday. Try watching a hockey game as a khockey fan' 1st & a Pats fan second, you'll see a whole new side to the game.

Like I said its unfortunate the hit was high & Hunt got another concussion on the play. There is a big difference with a hit like this then a hit from behind where the player is at no mercy. A simple chip before he hits the blue line & this hit doesn't happen.

Your damned right it was intentional. In case you weren't there Hunt was on the ice for a hell of a long time. The guy comes across and then goes up high on him. How the hell is that not targeting? The reason his shoulder was up is because his elbows were up. You can't seriously suggest that this was incidental collision or that Hunt somehow was responsible because of his speed? Hunt had every right to be carrying the puck across the blue-line. If the guy keeps his arms down it's a clean hit but he didn't did he? Are you saying the malice of the hit is dependent on the time the player lays on the ice?

It was a goddam dirty hit that may put out a key component of our team for the season. The length of the suspension is irrelevant. One of our key guys is injured and possibly out a long time. We're going down the stretch shorthanded. I am ticked off that an irresponsible hit has put out a 17 goal scorer, and sure as hell not going to put any of this on him. I pay to see the best possible product and now that's been compromised. I am not going to be an apologist for an irresponsible player.

mjw22
02-19-2014, 12:55 AM
too much speed in the game . Players are in better condition now bigger faster.So with nothing to slow them down from blue line to blue line guys carrying the puck (hunt) get smoked .They still get hurt even on clean hits along the boards or in open ice. Put the red line back in and the neutral zone speed slows down. With the way they call obstruction now it would still be fast just not stupid fast.

chopper
02-19-2014, 02:19 AM
Last time I checked even Pats players are allowed to get hit when they have the puck, & yes that means big hits as well. Waltz picked his spot cause Hunt put himself in a vulnerable position to be stepped up on, unfortunately the hit was high.

Its called being aware of your surroundings, all the elite players are aware they don't put themselves in these situations at this level. Like I've said before if Hunt chips it in like I fully expected him to do on his rush he finishes that game injury free, he tried to get too cute & go end to end where his skill level isn't quite there yet (& may never be as that's not the type of player he is).

You can be pissed off all you want to be about the high hit, yes its unfortunate that these things happen but there is some responsibilty on the player getting hit as well. If you don't think that's true then you need to stop watching hockey. Any player who tries to go end to end there is always that risk of taking a big hit & it just so happened yesterday. Try watching a hockey game as a khockey fan' 1st & a Pats fan second, you'll see a whole new side to the game.

Like I said its unfortunate the hit was high & Hunt got another concussion on the play. There is a big difference with a hit like this then a hit from behind where the player is at no mercy. A simple chip before he hits the blue line & this hit doesn't happen.

I dont' think you have the qualifications to tell me what I should or shouldn't watch. In fact now I am dead certain you don't. Your totally off base to suggest that Hunt was in any way responsible for his injury. Players of all skill levels are in vulnerable situations almost every shift. That in no way means that this is a open invitation to take them out with a high head shot. Game in and out players try to beat guys along the wall; it's called possession hockey. Game in and out players get smacked along the wall. Maybe we should put out a memo to these players telling them to dump and chase. Otherwise they are at risk of having an idiot come up and give them a high head shot.

I'm sure Hunt thought he had a lane he could get through with speed. The worst that would happen is he would get rubbed out along the wall..wrong! I doubt he anticipated that someone was going to smack him upside his head and lay him out AND NOW your saying he contributed to his injury? Really ? Maybe you should tweet Hunt and tell him how he contributed to his head shot OR better yet email Chad Lang and tell him your observations.

The powers that be want to take illegal hits out of the game. They don't want to take hard hits out of the game. They're trying to take the crap out of the game. They want hard hits not head hits. It's a cop-out to say a player put himself in a vulnerable position because players are always doing that. In some cases it's the only way they stay on a team. No player can know what situation might be where someone drives them from behind or comes up high and concusses them. Players are always trying to be aware of their surroundings, but even pros don't always exercise that judgement. Hunt knew what he was up against but he didn't know that someone was going to victimize him with an illegal hit. If the guy keeps his elbows down he simply knocks Hunt on his butt. Good hit. This hit had nothing to do with his surroundings. Blaming him is like victimizing a victim with 20/20 hindsight. It's incorrect and deplorable.

I guess people are free to support whatever team(s) they choose. I'm too old to change so I'll stick with the Pats.

patsdude114
02-19-2014, 03:17 AM
Bored at almost 3:15am I have just watched this replay about 30 times over and over again pausing it in and out just as the hit was about to be delivered... Waltz had him lined up perfectly if Hunt stays along the wall but Hunt at the last second cut to the inside to avoid the hit which would of been clean along the wall, as players do all the time when they misread a play just try to get a piece of the guy hoping to knock him off stride to limit a scoring chance just so happens that Waltz went high (which does need to get out of the game, no one is questioning that) even if Hunt does get around him he has no where to go with Roy & Lisoway within a stick length or 2 from where Hunt would of ended up....like I said before Hunt had no where to go the smarter play would of been to chip it in & still keep possession down low as he easily would of been the 1st guy on the puck with the speed he was going. Also take a look there is 3 Pats forwards all within a 10ft radius (if not less) 1 not even moving its the perfect time for a Dman to step up to attempt a big hit (hopefully clean).

Chopper your a pissed off Pats fan from the hit I get it, no 1 has said the hit was legal by any means. Waltz had the support around him to take the risk to go for the big hit on a sitting duck player with no where to go (the replay itself shows this) a player like Stephenson, Klimchuk, Leier, Pulock, Point ect would of been aware of this and did a simple chip play to avoid the possible bit hit. Now before you freak out thinking that im saying its Hunt's fault im not saying that at all, all players need to be aware of the position's they are putting themselves into.....90% to 95% of big hits happen due to poor judgement of the puck carrier, the poor judgement in this play was Hunt not noticing that there was 3 Pats forwards all in a 10ft area with 1 not moving at all he needed to chip that puck in ask any coach or good hockey mind what needed to be done as soon as he hit the red line. So yes there is some fault on Hunt for this big hit happening, not the high part of the hit though.

sbtatter
02-19-2014, 07:34 AM
too much speed in the game . Players are in better condition now bigger faster.So with nothing to slow them down from blue line to blue line guys carrying the puck (hunt) get smoked .They still get hurt even on clean hits along the boards or in open ice. Put the red line back in and the neutral zone speed slows down. With the way they call obstruction now it would still be fast just not stupid fast.

That might be a good option MJ

chopper
02-19-2014, 08:44 AM
It's reassuring to know we both agree that (a) it wasn't a legal hit and (b) your not saying it was Hunt's fault.

I have always believed in trying to make good decisions on the ice, and being aware as much as possible. Players from all teams put themselves in vulnerable situations virtually every shift. It's an inherent part of the game.

The x-factor is the intent and actions of the player on the other side. Waltz had support so his intent and only purpose in coming over was to put some hurt on someone. Let's be honest here; if he hits Hunt on the logo and doesn't go high, it's a perfectly good solid hit. I have no issues with that kind of heavy hit, and I assume neither would Hunt. Unfortunately it's the old x-factor.

Could Hunt have made another play - absolutely; did Hunt know he could get smoked and knocked on his butt - absolutely; did Hunt expect he would take a head shot that could contribute to the end of his hockey career - absolutely not.

I'm choosing not to assign any blame to Hunt for playing hard and doing what he thought was right. There are always risks of taking lumps from hockey hits. I am of a mind that his injury could have been avoided if another player had respected him, and not taken advantage of him with an illegal hit. It was so unnecessary! Because of Hunt's history this is a very sad and difficult situation for him. He may have to be sent home like Tye Hand. Central scouting was looking at him but now with this third concussion it changes things. All one can do is hope the best for him. Now we get to play without one of our top six forwards.

chopper
02-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Ok guys let's get back to the future. Not much future in the past. As far as a replacement for Hunt on that second line, are there any thoughts?

I had originally thought about moving Gay up to that line but I'm not sure he has the speed to play with McVeigh and Leier. Here's something out of left field but is there any possibility that Kammerer could be a fit with them? OR perhaps Brooks?

Obviously I can't see breaking up the 1st or 3rd lines which have been so effective. The 2nd line needs a forward and the 4th line can be cobbled together with what's left.

Is there a chance one of the on-the farm guys could be of some help?

Thoughts............

RWAH
02-19-2014, 03:55 PM
Kammerer is fast enough and I think has good vision on the ice and that move could really help in his developement. When he has played I thought he was good with his defencive responcibilities. don't think he would hurt the line but may do help in the o zone.
Any thoughts on the big bodied 16s Wagner or Zimmer

RWAH
02-19-2014, 04:01 PM
this could be a new thread but :
Stoon and then a tough Fri and Sat. Hope the boys are focused. if they take the game to casual Stoon could beat them. And the week end will need two 60 minute games. Be good to get 4 points out of the 3 games, and could need it to keep first.

chopper
02-19-2014, 04:32 PM
Kammerer is fast enough and I think has good vision on the ice and that move could really help in his developement. When he has played I thought he was good with his defencive responcibilities. don't think he would hurt the line but may do help in the o zone.
Any thoughts on the big bodied 16s Wagner or Zimmer

Wow....that's pretty bold but you know I like it.

Leier and McVeigh are not wall guys but a big body like Wagner has shown he will grind. Kammerer on the other hand is only about 150 lbs soak and wet. Maybe too many of the same type on one line. It would sure speed up Wagner's development.

Yes I agree with you a new thread is needed....

patsdude114
02-19-2014, 04:56 PM
Well reading on Hunt it sounds like it was just a precaution with a possible concussion but they are following the WHL's protocol for concussion's & he will miss tonight & there's a chance he could practice on Thursday

As for possible replacements be it for 1 game or 10 games Krammerer has the speed to keep up but I'm just not sure if he is the guy for tht line. I was hoping after the WJ's he would of came back with more confidence & ready to take on a bigger role but that hasn't reaally haappened. Brooks or Zimmer I wouldn't mind trying on that line, heck even the thought of Wagner a big strong guy who skates hard every shift & likes to hit just don't think he has the confidence for that line. I'm sure we will see Gay back up on that line & Wagner/Zimmer/Krammerer will rotate in and out til Hunt returns (if he does) plus remember midget is coming to a close & starting their playoffs soon so that means the possibility of Steel, Kroeker, Berg would be nice to get them into a couple regular season games before our playoffs start.

RWAH
02-19-2014, 05:23 PM
to bring midgets up full time there midget team must be through for the year (league and playoffs). They can come up as associate players to a max of 5 games

chopper
02-19-2014, 05:38 PM
i've been hoping like you that Kammerer would start impressing me but he really hasn't. I know what they've said about a project, but bringing in an import project is a little iffy in my mind.

I also agree that Gay will probably get the nod but I am liking the using of Wagner more and more. It would sure accelerate his development if he got the call.

chopper
02-19-2014, 05:41 PM
to bring midgets up full time there midget team must be through for the year (league and playoffs). They can come up as associate players to a max of 5 games

Once they're done playoffs can they not play unlimited number of games? I thought that's what Point did a couple of years ago but I could be mistaken.

patsdude114
02-19-2014, 05:48 PM

And that's why I said their season's are coming to a end & there is the possibilty of them being available. There is also a way around that rule as well due to enough injuries to a roster after a certain date, look at Connor Bleakley he played like 20 games as a 15yr old during the year RD had all there injuries like we did last year.

sbtatter
02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Be nice for you guys if Steel's team tapped out in the playoffs and you could bring him up for the playoff run, similar to Point 2 years ago and Kane in Vancouver a while back

Fight Guy
02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Kammerer could easily play with Leier and McVeigh. You don't often get to see him use all his speed and skill, but when he does, it can be a little mind blowing. Forget which game it was, but Kammerer took the puck through the neutral zone into the opponents end, and the speed and puck handling he used was pretty incredible, I thought. It was finished off with either a slow shot on the net or he passed it away. Some playing time with some vets could help out his confidence and get him taking plays to the net and taking meaningful shots. If he's a project, then they should work on it. He's not going to develop if he's playing with rookies younger than him. He's learning with them, but he needs to learn how to work his skills in this league. Especially if this "project" is only around for two more seasons. He could potentially be a deadly forward, but he needs to learn how.

My prediction for tonight's second line... Leier McVeigh Gay ...lol. Though if the Pats get off to another big lead, I'm sure we'll see a lot of the younger players get playing time with the top lines. So I wouldn't be surprised to see Kammerer play with Leier and McVeigh at some point. ...unless he's scratched...lol

Fight Guy
02-19-2014, 06:51 PM
Also, not too sure if Steel will get to play with the Pats this season, even if his team craps out early. He hasn't appeared to play a game since he got hurt at the Mac's. If that's the case, then I'm guessing he is done for the season so he can be healed and ready for Pats camps in the off season. He will be making the jump with out a doubt next season, and he's going to want to be ready. If this theory is true, then that's really good for us. Was really hoping he would be our "Point" this off season though.

chopper
02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Also, not too sure if Steel will get to play with the Pats this season, even if his team craps out early. He hasn't appeared to play a game since he got hurt at the Mac's. If that's the case, then I'm guessing he is done for the season so he can be healed and ready for Pats camps in the off season. He will be making the jump with out a doubt next season, and he's going to want to be ready. If this theory is true, then that's really good for us. Was really hoping he would be our "Point" this off season though.

I would agree with this take. Steel hasn't been heard from after scoring at a 2 point per game pace early in the Midget season. He gets hurt at the Macs and we hear nothing.

If he's not ready perhaps someone like Kroeker might be interesting. When I last checked he was leading his League in scoring. A big centerman 6'2'' or more and around 180 lbs. As a 97 he may be a bit more ready.

RWAH
02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
Listening to the game and surfing the blogs and found this od taking note from the PG paper and its good on a 12 year old http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/opinion/letters/hockey-player-shows-courage-1.858784

Fight Guy
02-19-2014, 09:58 PM
I would agree with this take. Steel hasn't been heard from after scoring at a 2 point per game pace early in the Midget season. He gets hurt at the Macs and we hear nothing.

If he's not ready perhaps someone like Kroeker might be interesting. When I last checked he was leading his League in scoring. A big centerman 6'2'' or more and around 180 lbs. As a 97 he may be a bit more ready.Steel would easily have lead his league if he had played all 35 games.

patsdude114
02-19-2014, 10:03 PM
If were talking about young prospects here is a interesting stat here involving Elmer (pats 6th round pick)

he plays for Edge School for Athletes in the Elite 15s division & his stats at 23gp 25pts but he got a 1 game call up to the Varsity Team (2 divisions higher) & in 1 game he has 2g4a

http://www.csshl.ca/leagues/stats_1team.cfm?leagueID=15269&teamID=380185&clientID=4542

here is the link to his normal team http://www.csshl.ca/leagues/stats_1team.cfm?leagueID=15269&teamID=380182&clientID=4542

Fight Guy
02-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Greg Harder answered our queries about Steel in today's Leader-Post...

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/pats-hockey/Harder+Steel+could+finish+season+with+Pats/9528280/story.html

patsdude114
02-20-2014, 02:25 PM
What sort of playoff series length's does midget play? For some reason I have thought best of 3 1st round with best of 5 the rest of the way. Best of 7 just doesn't seem to fit for how many games they play in the regular season at 54 where if it was best of 7 in playoffs a team could possibly play 28games just over half of the regular season length.

As much as I'd love to see Steel in a few regular season games & playoffs think realisticly Kroeker should get a shot before hand. He's a year older & put up a tremdous season at the hockey school he attended (think it was Delta).

Fight Guy
02-20-2014, 02:44 PM
What sort of playoff series length's does midget play? For some reason I have thought best of 3 1st round with best of 5 the rest of the way.That's exactly how it works.

patsdude114
02-20-2014, 02:48 PM
I guess my thoughts were right again :P I mean for once lmao :bounce:

chopper
02-20-2014, 03:11 PM
I guess my thoughts were right again :P I mean for once lmao :bounce:

In one breath I would love to see Steel here for a bunch of games, however that Sherwood Park team is strong and could quite easily be the Pacific rep at the Telus Cup. The other breath says that if they did make it to the Canadian Championship I would try to take in all their games at Moose Jaw. That would be a treat.

Kroeker has been such a huge and pleasant surprise. A big kid that can play; how great is that. The CSSHL likely doesn't have an onerous playoff schedule so he might be available. Having one of those kids around for while might really give them a quick start to next season.

patsdude114
02-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Well tonight all the cards fell the Pats way to pad their lead as 1st place in the East Division. A pats win (3-2 over VIC) a wheat kings loss (5-4 to CGY) & a broncos loss (4-1 to EDM) the pats now have a 6pt lead over SC & 8pt lead on BRN, I don't think many people predicted the Pats to be in this position as everyone basically predicted us to miss the playoffs (which could still happen if we have a big collaspe which I doubt will happen).

We still have some big games against both SC & BRN so a lot can still happen so its far from over. Another big game tomorrow night against another top WHL team in the Calgary Hitmen. I think we will need Leier back in the lineup to have a better shot at beating the Hitmen again, I haven't heard what sort of injury does he have that he wasn't dressed tonight?

Tonights game I was very impressed with Sinitsyn's game he has been taking his game to a different level as of late I still wish he go lead the rush alittle more though he has the skills to do it, he makes a guy or 2 miss and creates open ice but then dishes the puck off and stops skating himself.

Also funny how our PP looks better with 3 forwards 2 defensemen but I bet when Leier is back into lineup he goes back onto the point :confused:

chopper
02-22-2014, 02:52 PM
Leier has concussion.

patsdude114
02-22-2014, 03:06 PM
great so 2 of our top 6 forwards now have concussions any time frame on either guy? Really not expecting to see Hunt back in a Pats jersey ever again just due to 3 concussion's in a 1yr span

Fight Guy
02-22-2014, 03:23 PM
"Concussion like symptoms - day to day" is what I saw. Not sure how long that will be, but sure does suck. I recall Leier leaving the Saskatoon game. I forget what had happened, but hopefully it is just "day to day".

Last night , the Pats proved they can play against a top team with key players out. Some people are saying the Royals didn't start playing until the 3rd, but that's because the Pats gave up their momentum to them and let them play their game. That Pats sat back and played too defensively. They let them control the play up till the second Royals goals. After that, the Pats went back to hard checking and play making, and that's what slowed the Royals down again. Last night was a great game. If the Pats can keep playing these full to near full 60min games, and Wapple can step up when the Pats do have a lapse in their play, I think we are in for a surprise come spring. The Pats just need to keep up this rate of play and the young guys need to keep playing well and getting better, as they have.

patsdude114
02-23-2014, 04:58 AM
We always get too defensive when trying to lock down a lead instead of keep playing with what was working for the 1st 40mins once we started to play like we did in the 1st 40mins we controlled the final 4mins of play again & didnive the Royals much.

I missed the game against the Hitmen as I was hauling snow but listened on the radio as best as AM radio comes in with the dump truck (which isn't good) & sounds like the Pats got a full effort from all 20 guys. Listening to the pregame show before I started work the Calgary head coach said he believes the Pats will be the dark horse in the playoffs as a lot of teams tend to over look them.

chopper
02-23-2014, 12:15 PM
I think we all have to be pleased with 4 points over the weekend. I would have taken two, three would have been a bonus, but four is great!

The real upside besides the points are the quality minutes the young guys are getting and not hurting the club. When we're back to full strength (or close) we should be an even deeper team. Hunt and Leier are huge cogs in the machine.

I agree with other posters we were very good, but often make games closer than they need to be. The elusive 60 minute game is still a work in progress.

On Friday we sat back for about half the third period and good teams will capitalize if you do. With about seven minutes left we started playing our game again and cruised to the win. On Saturday we were clearly the better team for 40 minutes. In the third they amped it up and we had no answer other than Wapple. I believe that their superior size and strength was a big factor. We had a hard time with their bigger players. We looked really tired.

We took 14 penalties over the two games and that equates to 28 minutes (half a game) even if they don't score one you. The lack of discipline is wearing out our penalty killers. Those guys are usually on the PP as well, plus their regular shift. Coach Dixon said last night that at least half of the penalties were retaliatory or lazy penalties. This is an area that needs to be cleaned up fast. It can't continue. Therein probably lays the reason our guys looked so tired in the third period last night. Our top players were most affected.

If this team would (a) put in a full 60 minutes and (b) stay out of the box, there isn't a team out there we can't compete with. If we continue to take 14 penalties per two games, this could all go for not!

Fight Guy
02-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I sorta hinted to the notion in an earlier post saying "we could be in for a surprise", but with the way the Pats have outplayed the hell out of their opponents that are right around them in the standings, and winning close, hard fought games against the top teams, the Pats are easily the biggest darkhorse out of the East.

They still have to get better at not taking bad penalties (though some of the calls and non calls last night were a little strange...looking in Byblows direction) and just sticking to their game instead of letting their opponent gain momentum. When the Pats play they're game, most teams have been having a lot of trouble playing against them and aren't able to do what usually makes them successful. We saw it twice this weekend, both in the 3rd periods. Though I have to say, when Calgary stepped it up, the Pats had a lot of trouble getting them out of their end. Calgary only has two players under 6', and they definitely powered through our defenders when trying to get the game back. Have to give the Pats credit though. They threw numerous good hits again. Seeing the smaller guys like Brooks throw hits consistently is really good too.

Brings me to the young guys again. At this point, when they play, they don't hurt us at all. They have developed quite nicely and seem to have no problem making good decisions. The only downer has been Zimmer, and don't really mean that to deeply. He has looked fine out there, but he is the one young guy who is quite small. He has speed and puck skills, but he lacks some confidence getting around other teams big defenders. I'd say this comes from several attempts at trying and getting knocked off the puck or being forced to get rid of the puck. Once he grows a bit and gains some weight, he will start to have more success. I really hope he can get a goal, even an assist, before the season is over. He works hard every shift and deserves some return. The rest of the young guys are pretty big. Reagan may turn into a beast yet! I always forget he's 16 when he's on the ice because of his size and his smart play.

Has been mentioned in the past, but I remember when we were all scratching our heads at the Rodewald/Hanson trade. Well, Lang knew what he was doing. He works hard every shift and he's such a good defensive offenseman. I can see him getting an 'A' next season. The Schacher trade wasn't so much to make the team better than it was to replace the big bodied Hand. After a slow start, he has been solid. Rarely makes a mistake and uses his long stick and big body very well. I mean, he could use his body more violently, but what he does works. Can see how he came from Victoria after playing them Friday. We got one of the smaller dman from them...lol. McVeigh hasn't been getting on the score sheet much, but his play and experience out there has been great. Not much bad to say about him. And Wapple has been Wapple :D

Just thought I would touch on some of the trades as they have all been solid thus far. No need to touch on Leier. Rarely do we go a season and not be upset with a trade or two, but honestly, Lang has made it really difficult to complain. He has made great moves and, from the looks of it, may have drafted very well too.

From here on out, with the exception of the Edmonton game, every game is very winnable. I'm excited to see how the Pats play the Oil Kings next week. The last test against an elite team. As long as the Pats continue to play these good games, they should have no trouble getting that East Division banner.

That's all for my occasional rant.

chopper
02-23-2014, 04:49 PM
This team has developed a junk yard dog mentality and they will be a hand full regardless who they play. I also know that beating these big talented teams over a seven game series will be a severe test. If they stay disciplined it is doable.

The Pats employed a strength coach last season and I wonder if they have him on staff this year. Does anyone know? I'm of a mind that it's an absolute must. Brendan Gallagher's dad does it for the Vancouver Giants and it produces results. They are as strong of a team as there is, and are near impossible to win battles against. IMO our younger guys have to spend more time in the weight room building upper body strength. It will reap big dividends.

Thoughts: Hanson has found a role he really likes.
Sinitsyn seems to play better the bigger the games are.
Should someone other than #22 being taking the defensive zone draws for the #1 line?
Regardless of our penalty numbers, are we getting the short end of the calls? Last night with a minute to go one of our guys carrying the puck around the Calgary net is hooked right down in front of both refs and no call; what's with that?

Fight Guy
02-23-2014, 05:02 PM
I didn't see it straight on, but when Burroughs cross checked the Calgary player in front of Wapple, the Hitmen player went down in a heap and seemed like a pretty weak call. Then at the end, when the Pats were pressuring, Stephenson is trying to go behind the net to make a play with the puck and his blatantly hauled down. Then seconds later, Klimchuck was interfered with and taken to the ice right in front of the ref when the play wasn't even near them. Plus the one tripping call on the Pats was pretty terrible. But, Byblow was one of the refs last night, and that pretty well always means we're going to be in tough. Though he did seem to give us the better calls a couple games this season, though that could have been because we were playing Saskatoon, and I think they have more trouble with him than we do.

I believe it was the Swift Current game last week when the Bronco player was on top of the Pat player, driving his elbow into his head while on the ice. He was on top of him for a minimum five seconds, fans screaming for a call. Finally, long after it should have been, a penalty was called. I don't get how you can let that go on for so long. He was standing there watching the whole thing happen too.

At least the Pats have done a good job of over coming some of these bad calls.

Bighat
02-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Have to agree all the trades have worked out, agree Hanson with an A next year. Just remember guys were doing this with 2/3 of our second line out. The boys were pretty tired in the 3rd last nite.