PDA

View Full Version : Sam Steel

witness
02-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Steel's team lost yesterday in double overtime. Luc smith (another Pats' prospect) scored the winner. His Midget season is done.

How long does Regina wait to bring him in? The Pats are down a couple of forwards. Good news that Hunt is expected to skate this week, but I think he is still out for at while. The Pats will give him time. Leier is expected to skate this week and if things go well should be back in the line up next week.

Do they bring him in now or wait until the playoffs? I guess a lot depends on school arrangements.

Fight Guy
02-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Wow...didn't see that coming! Good to see Steel was back in the line-up too and had two goals and an assist in those three games. I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up here before the playoffs. I'm sure Lang wants him practicing as soon as humanly possible.

chopper
02-24-2014, 06:08 PM
That's some epic development. Sherwood Park looked like a stacked midget team.

If the injured players return there likely wouldn't be any room for Steel, however I think they would still bring him in if they could because other wise he has no meaningful hockey left.

I think Steel could make their PP a lot better than it is. He could possibly put in some 4th line minutes. Probably bring him in to practice at a higher pace and spot use him after that.

Fight Guy
02-24-2014, 06:35 PM
He'll be brought in to practice and to play a bit. Depending on how he adjusts to the next level will likely determine how much playing time he gets. If he were to go out there and show that he can be an impact player at this level, he will probably unfortunately bump another player down. In the end, this is a nice little problem to have. How much he plays all depends on how he adjusts.

patsdude114
02-24-2014, 08:51 PM
I remember during pre-season when they sent Steel back down that Cameron believed he could of played and been an impact player at age 15 had the rules allowed him too.

Look for Steel to be here by the end of the week, heck tomorrow nights game against LETH would of been a perfect game to get him in to see how he could adapt. Im sure he jumps ahead of Zimmer & Krammerer & he would definitely appear on our #2 PP unit on the wing

patsdude114
02-24-2014, 09:09 PM
Steel's team lost yesterday in double overtime. Luc smith (another Pats' prospect) scored the winner. His Midget season is done.

where did you find the info for this? Cuz on the AMMHL site it says there regular season doesn't end til Feb. 28th??

nivek_wahs
02-24-2014, 09:32 PM
where did you find the info for this? Cuz on the AMMHL site it says there regular season doesn't end til Feb. 28th??

Pats Facebook page.

The AMHL season ended February 17 if you go to the website it shows the scores.... link: http://www.amhl.ab.ca/finals.php

Fight Guy
02-24-2014, 09:37 PM
I looked at the league site under 'schedule' I think. Eitherway, look under the headers and find playoffs. There you can see all the games played over the weekend and have the score sheets available.

I didnt want to say he'll get in to any games this week, but if he got into the MJ game on Saturday, that would be ideal. And ya, i think Zimmer the first odd man out if Steel comes in. I remember seeing him play at the beginning and he only looked out of place because of his size...but that's it.

My guess is he'll be brought in slowly, like Schacher and McVeigh, so he gets used to the systems. Then, if he can keep up, he'll prob be dressing every game once in the line-up. Im confident he will come in and do good with the older players and experience they have. Should be another weapon up front before regular seasons end.

...unless, of course, him getting here takes longer than we're all hoping.

chopper
02-24-2014, 10:54 PM
When you look at size, Kammerer is only about 150 soak and wet. In the pre-season Steel was deadly on the PP and didn't look too bad on his regular shifts. He operates well in small spaces much like Weal did. He can really thread a pass and did so on a back door goal. This kid will improve your PP quickly.

patsdude114
02-24-2014, 11:50 PM
Pats Facebook page.

The AMHL season ended February 17 if you go to the website it shows the scores.... link: http://www.amhl.ab.ca/finals.php

Ok thanks cause when I clicked on the schedule for regular season it showed games til feb 28th unless they just keep adding games to that part insteaad of under the playoff area. Unless I was on the wrong site which is possible too lmao

Either way this is great news for the pats I'm sure Lang calls him up soon, if his parents agree to it due to school.

sbtatter
02-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Can't wait to see how steel adapts to the dub, and see if he proves KM wrong in passing him over for the far bigger but less dynamic Nolan Patrick.
Patrick had a decent season in AAA, fought some injury issues as well. Patrick has some skill as well, finished as top rookie scorer and 3rd overall, even ahead of the highly touted Howden who was in his 2nd season. Patrick was playing on the 3rd best team in the league, Howden on the 4th, And we can safely assume that Mb AAA isn't as strong as Ab AAA, just due to population, so impossible to compare Steel and Patrick's AAA seasons imo.
http://www.mbaaamidget.ca/leagues/stats_hockey.cfm?leagueID=16053&clientID=4667

patsdude114
02-28-2014, 01:53 PM
Can't wait to see how steel adapts to the dub, and see if he proves KM wrong in passing him over for the far bigger but less dynamic Nolan Patrick.

I don't know about that, it wasn't like Maguire & the 3rd (if I recall a 3rd was involved in it as well) sweetened the pot for us to take Steel over Patrick anyways...plus with that said I had a couple conversations with Mr. Steel & he had said the Pats told them that they were selecting Steel weeks before the draft, Lang just did what he could to show interest in Patrick with KM to see what he could get out of him

sbtatter
02-28-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't know about that, it wasn't like Maguire & the 3rd (if I recall a 3rd was involved in it as well) sweetened the pot for us to take Steel over Patrick anyways...plus with that said I had a couple conversations with Mr. Steel & he had said the Pats told them that they were selecting Steel weeks before the draft, Lang just did what he could to show interest in Patrick with KM to see what he could get out of him

I think it was listed as a conditional draft pick, have to wait and see what that actually is i guess! I actually feel better if how you explained is the way it went down, that way if Steel turns out better Bdn don't look so stupid!

chopper
02-28-2014, 02:30 PM
McCrimmon couldn't have passed him over if he wanted to. The Pats had the 2nd overall pick and Brandon didn't pick until 4th. PG actually picked ahead of Brandon. Lang simply floated it out in the media that they were taking Patrick. It got McCrimmon to play a hand so that Lang wouldn't take Patrick. A little gamesmanship.

McCrimmon did some of his own when he absolutely robbed Lethbridge on the Clague deal.

patsdude114
02-28-2014, 03:00 PM
I think it was listed as a conditional draft pick, have to wait and see what that actually is i guess! I actually feel better if how you explained is the way it went down, that way if Steel turns out better Bdn don't look so stupid!

I could be wrong but wasn't that the pick the Pats used to select Luc Smith? I know the Pats didn't have a 3rd rd pick leading into draft day but they got 1 somehow I thought it was from Brandon but could be wrong (wouldn't be the 1st time)

Also im just going by from what Mr. Steel had said to me, I hope he is at the Pats game tonight again as well and ill buy him another beer

witness
02-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Maguire was the compensation for not picking Patrick.

Lang then flipped Maguire for a 6th round.

Still a good deal for the Pats. They got the guy they wanted, plus an asset.

Fight Guy
02-28-2014, 05:01 PM
The draft list says we got the pick from Spokane, who traded it to Brandon along with Kalus, Gardner, and a 5th rd in '13 for Alessio Bertaggia. In the transactions, it says it was Maguire for a conditional pick, but the Pats DID in fact get that Spokane pick(Luc Smith pick) from Brandon in the deal as well.

Also, sounds like we will see Steel in the line-up tonight.

booboo
02-28-2014, 06:23 PM
McCrimmon couldn't have passed him over if he wanted to. The Pats had the 2nd overall pick and Brandon didn't pick until 4th. PG actually picked ahead of Brandon. Lang simply floated it out in the media that they were taking Patrick. It got McCrimmon to play a hand so that Lang wouldn't take Patrick. A little gamesmanship.

McCrimmon did some of his own when he absolutely robbed Lethbridge on the Clague deal.

Agree, Brandon did not have a shot at Steel even if they wanted, but to say the Patsies got the guy they wanted and extra from the WK is silly. I'd bet Lang would have taken Patrick if he could get him to report. Good play by him to get KM to pony up to avoid taking Patrick, but remember Maguire was pretty hopeless and I'll bet KM is waiting to pounce on Lang when he gets a chance.:groovy:

patsdude114
02-28-2014, 06:57 PM
Patrick would of reported it was just a mind game to stay in MB is all, believe me when saay the Pats got the guy they wanted after they won the draft lottery, a lot of WHL scouts said Steel would of went 1st ovr had he been another 2inches taller & 10lbs heavier

sbtatter
03-01-2014, 08:30 AM
Good conversation guys. How did Steel look last night? Is he any bigger?

chopper
03-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Patrick would of reported it was just a mind game to stay in MB is all, believe me when saay the Pats got the guy they wanted after they won the draft lottery, a lot of WHL scouts said Steel would of went 1st ovr had he been another 2inches taller & 10lbs heavier

Your right on that point. The Pats had talked to Patrick and he has a connection to Regina. He would have reported. The Pats also got a 3rd round pick from Brandon for not taking Patrick which they never were in the first place. They took a 6'4" centre (Luc Smith) with that pick. They also got a pick out of Swift for Maguire.
Smith scored the winning goal in double overtime that put out Steel's team. All in all it was pretty good haul.

booboo
03-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Your right on that point. The Pats had talked to Patrick and he has a connection to Regina. He would have reported. The Pats also got a 3rd round pick from Brandon for not taking Patrick which they never were in the first place. They took a 6'4" centre (Luc Smith) with that pick. They also got a pick out of Swift for Maguire.
Smith scored the winning goal in double overtime that put out Steel's team. All in all it was pretty good haul.

You actually believe Patrick was going to report to Regina----dream on. Patrick's connection is with Brandon as his dad played there.

sbtatter
03-02-2014, 03:35 PM
So how's Steel looked in his first 2 games? What line is he on? Any PP time? Has he grown since training camp? Joining the dub at the end of a season in a pennant chase must be difficult for a 15 year old imo