PDA

View Full Version : Biggest home & home of the year

patsdude114
02-26-2014, 12:15 PM
This home & home against the Broncos starting tonight in SC is a huge series, could be the 1st rd match up as well so these teams better get used to seeing each other lots. The Pats haave yet to beat these guys this year dispite some great games, that will change during this home & home we will win at least 1 of these games.

Ideally as a Pats fan would love to see us win them both & have a 12pt lead on them which would assure us 1st in our division easily but igoing to be realistic here & just hope for a split & stay 8pts up on them with us in the drivers seat for 1st in the East Division.

We have a bad habit of playing down to teams level's who are much lower then us in the standings. Look at the game last night against LETH the 1st 11mins we played even worse then the Canes the media timeout I could hear Cameron crystal clear up where I sit & the Pats took over the game from there scoring on the very next shift & again & again & again....... We tend to play better against the better teams which makes for some great entertaining games for us fans to watch.

Go Pats! 1st place can be all ours by the end of this weekend with 3 more wins added into our 5 in a row already.

Bighat
02-26-2014, 12:42 PM
It's going to be tough with 2/3 of our 2nd line out. Any word if hunt or Leier will be ready for the weekend.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-26-2014, 01:16 PM
I think we will split the home and home. I don't see us being as motivated after winning a game 8-0 and being on a 5 game tear, than the team that's back at home and on the verge of losing any chance of claiming 2nd place.

Especially without Leier. We have to feel the absence eventually. Hopefully Im wrong.

plus swift's goaltending has killed us all year.

witness
02-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Any word if hunt or Leier will be ready for the weekend.

Hunt is no where near ready. I will suspect that they will hold him out until playoffs (if they don't shut him down all together). The fact that he was planning on skating this week is way better that I would have suspected after the hit.

Leier is closer. Listed as day to day. but, if he was only going to start skating this week, then most likely he will not be available for the weekend. the protocol is that the player has to be symptom free for 7 - 10 days. So if he was only starting to skate this week then he is another week away.

RWAH
02-26-2014, 03:22 PM
I bought the last five games on web cast so looking forward to watching tonight.

We need to build a lead in the standing. The last week of the schedule Swift plays Stoon , MJ MJ and we have PA, Brn, Brn. Stoon and MJ playing for pride while PA and Brn could be playing for a post season spot or to position themselves away from Cal or EDM in the first round.

From March 1 to 8th Swift plays Leth (2) Edm, Brn, Red D 3 games at home and 2 road. The Pats MJ, Leth, Edm, Koot with 1 home and 3 road games

Swift has a little easier schedule but if we keep playing as we have of late it will not matter.

Will be a great finish to the regular season and a build up to the playoffs.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-26-2014, 07:33 PM
...why does phil Andrews always have to say "(player) up on a dare"?

just something you notice after awhile that every single player who gets the puck is apparently up on a dare(?). Someone should tell him that saying that isn't mandatory.

patsdude114
02-26-2014, 10:54 PM
I will cut us abit of slack tonight without 3 top 6 forwards and also missing a top 4 Dman as well.... we didn't come out prepared that's forsure it was almost like the players had it in their minds that without so many key pieces to our lineup that we were screwed before the opening faceoff... that may of been the case but at least put in the effort to make it look like you want to make a game of it.

Hopefully come Friday Klimchuk & Sinitsyn are back in the lineup, maybe with abit of luck Leier as well but I doubt that one

chopper
02-27-2014, 12:19 AM
I will cut us abit of slack tonight without 3 top 6 forwards and also missing a top 4 Dman as well.... we didn't come out prepared that's forsure it was almost like the players had it in their minds that without so many key pieces to our lineup that we were screwed before the opening faceoff... that may of been the case but at least put in the effort to make it look like you want to make a game of it.

Hopefully come Friday Klimchuk & Sinitsyn are back in the lineup, maybe with abit of luck Leier as well but I doubt that one

I agree that some slack is deserved but no too much. If Swift beats us this Friday, we will be scratching to hold onto our position. Nobody gives a crap that we have injuries or how we're surviving. The definition of sympathy can be found between two other words.

In addition watching like I always do is that a few things came to mind.
1. we weren't ready to go, not moving feet and no effort.
2. goaltending wasn't there
3.refuse to play defence
4.still far too damned many needles penalties - another 7 tonight

Even without some players we did enough things wrong to lose anyways. Tripping, check from behind, holding, hit to the head, unsportsmanlike conduct (talking) are all either lazy or stupid penalties.

A great coach once told me that even if you can't score, anyone can play great defence. It's all about hard work, commitment, determination and discipline. In games like these when your shorthanded you have to win them 2-1. You need a strong commitment to playing defence and we didn't have that.

If we're going to win the pennant we may have to do it without some pieces while they are healing. We can concede defeat like we seemed to tonight, or we can do what we need to do in order to win in another way.

Fight Guy
02-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Was only able to catch some of this one on the radio. Didn't sound too great. Heard the pre-game and when they said Klimchuk and Sinitsyn were out, I knew that was going to hurt them. That's almost one entire top line. Sounded like they played better in the third.

Leier and Hunt will be back before regular seasons end, and Steel is expected here within days. I really want to see him get into a game here. Maybe even in time for the game in MJ Saturday, which would be nice as I'll be making the drive for the game.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Pats+awaiting+reinforcements/9556218/story.html

chopper
02-27-2014, 10:49 AM
I have the webcast package but only watched two periods and a bit of the third. It was easy to see we weren't ready to go. A couple shifts in the first and a bit in the third when Swift called off the dogs. We took seven penalties and four were for hooking, tripping, holding. The obstruction fouls were a clear sign we weren't skating. The other three for checking from behind, head shot, and unsportsmanlike were completely unnecessary. This is a continuing problem the Pats better fix. With or without extra bodies we played very poorly. Cameron was pretty upset from his comments on Harder's blog. He has every right to be and he needs to fix the problem(s) in the teams game.

It would be nice to see Steel and perhaps get to see him on the occasional shift. I think he will help our PP (0-5 last night). They need to condition him and make sure his wrist is properly rehabbed. The pace and intensity is pretty high at this time of the season. He will need to be protected somewhat and I hope they ensure that. He can't be looked on for too much but he may add some depth as well as provide some help in selected situations.

patsdude114
02-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Great to hear that Steel will be here soon, I'm very sure he will be here Friday evening & will dress for Saturday's nights game in MJ (that ill be at as well) as for Hunt & Leier both great news to hear.

RWAH
02-27-2014, 11:03 AM
The web cast was not good. Streaming frose a number of times, Camera was behind the play, Late coming back from commercials and showing commercials during the play. Really not sure it was worth the 5 something it cost.
As for the game ans as posted the Pats were not ready at the start but good to see the 3rd period effort and hope that carries over to Friday and Sat.
The remaining schedule favors Swift so Friday is very important.

chopper
02-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Some of the webcasts are very good yet others suck. Swift current is poor as is Kootenay. There are real good out of Edmonton, Calgary and even Saskatoon. It seems that some of the equipment being used at smaller venues isn't up to speed. My computer is top notch and all the settings are good but I still got a stupid amount of buffering and freezes. I then send it wireless to a 50" TV in the basement. I had to go upstairs and reboot a number of times and it really sucks.

I think we should let the WHL people know that these webcasts aren't up to snuff and need to be improved likely with better local equipment.

patsdude114
02-27-2014, 02:17 PM
Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats Senior VP and General Manager Chad Lang announced today the organization has elected to recall forward Sam Steel (’98) from the Sherwood Park J. Ennis Kings of the AMHL. Steel was the Pats’ 2nd Overall pick in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft. The skilled forward was made available to join the Pats after Sherwood Park was eliminated from the AMHL Playoffs by the St. Albert Sports Raiders.

Steel played 14 league games and tallied an impressive 23 points (7G, 14A) to be one of the AMHL’s top scorer before injuries hampered the remainder of his season. In three games at the Mac’s Midget Tournament in Calgary, Steel totaled five points (4G, 1A) in three games. Steel returned to the lineup for the AMHL playoffs where he scored twice and added an assist in the best of three series against St. Albert.

Steel is expected to join the Pats today and begin practicing with the club to acclimatize to the WHL.After a practice day today, the Pats return to action Friday against the Swift Current Broncos as they look to add to their lead atop the East Division Standings. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.ca or the Brandt Centre Box Office. For Group Ticket information, call the Pats Office at 306-337-1538.

Daniel Fink
Director of Media and Communications
Regina Pats Hockey Club

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-27-2014, 02:27 PM
"SAM STEEL UP ON A DARE" - Phil Andrews

patsdude114
02-27-2014, 03:34 PM
"SAM STEEL UP ON A DARE" - Phil Andrews

I guess I don't listen to the radio broadcasts enough to get this inside joke or whatever it is.... even when I watch games on webcast I always listen to the home team anyways as I like to hear the other opinion on the game at hand see which announcers are the true homers and such...imo by far the best guys are either MH Tigers or MJ Warriors guys for being non homers

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
02-27-2014, 04:30 PM
There's nothing wrong with being a little biased. These guys are paid to be biased, you know, and hold a certain allegiance depending on who pays them. Yeah its kind of fake but its a whole lot worse to be so reversed-biased that they become full of **** trying to please everybody's delicate sensibilities(if you ask me).

Rod Pedersen was pretty one sided, but he knew what he was talking about, had energy and interesting commentary. That's more important than giving the other team so much unnecessary credit you sound like Barney in a sing-a-long giving everybody hugs.

..and if you mean Gallo from MJ as far as one of your favorites, excuse my while I throw up in my mouth. To say he is an obnoxious tool would be a dramatic improvement.

chopper
02-27-2014, 05:40 PM
I wish our php guy would dial it down a notch, particularly when the opposition scores. He screaming like some school girl. Ticks me off. Scream when we score if you want but dial it down when the other team does. Most announcers especially those in the States really dial it back when the opposition scores but amp it up when the home side does.

patsdude114
02-27-2014, 10:01 PM
..and if you mean Gallo from MJ as far as one of your favorites, excuse my while I throw up in my mouth. To say he is an obnoxious tool would be a dramatic improvement.

Yes I do mean Gallo, im not sure if you have watched a webcast from MJ before but him and the color guy you can hear talk during the radio time outs & such while the broadcast is going on, they comment on little things while off air from the radio that is a treat to hear. When the radio is back on-air though he gets alittle more biased but that is to be expected.

As for the American guys there was only 1 teams broadcasters I actually enjoyed listening too and that was the Seattle guys, the rest seem very uneducated with the game of hockey imo

patsdude114
02-28-2014, 10:15 PM
There can't be 1 hockey fan who left that game saying this game wasn't a heck of a hockey game even if you are a Broncos fan. Looks like we may of found another very effective line that line of Brooks/Gay/Wagner looked extremely good rarely were they ever playing in the defensive zone they really took it to the Broncos.

I thought Gay's first goal was something special but that OT winner was just insanely sweet could easily be the highlight of the night on TSN if they inculded junior hockey games. Wapple made 2 very big saves the shift before off Black which was huge to set Gay up for the game winner.

Any idea why McVeigh was scratched? When Leier Hunt & McVeigh all get reinserted into the lineup we could very well be a big dark horse come playoffs. Leier & McVeigh know what it takes to win in the playoffs & should become differenece makers for us.

Another solid game by what I guess their calling 'the grind line' of Hansen/D'Amico/Christoffer ever since that line has been put together the Pats have just been climbing up the standings & should become a bigger force once playoffs hit. Christoffer had a heck of a game himself hitting everything that moved he really got under the skin of Black & Honka.

I can't just praise everyone tonight, tonight Klimchuk costed us 2 goals, the 2nd goal he stopped back checking on Burns & to make matters even worse Sinitsyn didn't step up either but if Klimchuk doesn't quit skating Burns doesn't get that space to score. Klimchuk's second hiccup was the needless icing call he took to try & hit Stephenson for a breakaway, he paniced/got too excited & didn't realise how much time he really had to get the puck up to Stephenson, tired line after faceoff plus a very lucky bounce off the end wall for a tap in for Gordon.

Fight Guy
02-28-2014, 10:29 PM
Brooks, Gay, and Wagner looked really good out there. I wanted to see Steel get a few more opportunities, but he probably will tomorrow night. Can't argue going with Wagner the rest of the game on that line. If they can play like that every night, that's four solid lines. Have to see them play together again to see if it wasn't just the one game. Gay's goals were phenomenal! The first one was nice, but the winner was just stupid! We know he has great hands, but DAMN!!

As for McVeigh, I never caught why he was scratched, but I wonder if he didn't get sick also. Unless something happened in the game in Swift Current?? Harrison had been playing great and he was scratched also. I think I heard Reagan was sick last game too. Might be something going through the room. If that's the case, at least it's happening now and not in three weeks...

Bighat
02-28-2014, 11:09 PM
Mcveigh healthy scratch, time for him to step up. This is his eye opener.

Fight Guy
02-28-2014, 11:16 PM
Mcveigh healthy scratch, time for him to step up. This is his eye opener.
Must have been been pretty bad in Swift Current. Catch why Harrison was out?

RWAH
02-28-2014, 11:24 PM
Great win, a character builder and late in the year when it counts. My negative is Chandler ( I won't try the last name . If I get the PH or F wrong I'll be ragged on) He seems to have an attitude. Selfish, he only matters. whining to the Ref. lipping the other players. What three penalties tonight

Thought the coach shortened the bench a lot tonight. It worked we won but those two lines were looking tired

witness
02-28-2014, 11:40 PM
To be fair to Chandler, a couple of phantom calls. That has got to be the worst officiating crew I have seen all year. Missed offsides, waved icings, inconsistent penalities.
I liked the effort, but I think the Pats are not deep enough on the backend to be overly effective in the playoffs. And they can't win a face off

Fight Guy
02-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Hoping Leier and/or Hunt will be ready by Wednesday and get some more regulars back in the line-up. Stephenson has been like that all year, but has been taking penalties more so lately. He hasn't been quite as lazy as games in the past, but it's not good the way he's been taking stupid penalties. He took some really long shifts tonight too. Playing tired can make you take penalties. With a full line-up, the Pats would have probably walked all over them like the last home game, even though they lost that one. First and second line were played a lot tonight. If the third line didn't play the way they did tonight, we don't win the game. Really only played three lines all game, just rotating Wagner, Zimmer, and Steel through the third line. Wagner obviously emerged as the guy to go with in the 3rd. I think I saw Kammerer once in the first period too. Scoresheet shows he played, but I can barely remember seeing him at all.

Fight Guy
02-28-2014, 11:47 PM
To be fair to Chandler, a couple of phantom calls. That has got to be the worst officiating crew I have seen all year. Missed offsides, waved icings, inconsistent penalities.
I liked the effort, but I think the Pats are not deep enough on the backend to be overly effective in the playoffs. And they can't win a face off

Have to agree, another bad night of officiating. Didn't help that most of the face-offs, the puck bounced a foot off the ice toward the Bronco player...lol. I noticed it a few times in the 3rd anyway.

patsdude114
02-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Both benches were shortened a lot in the 3rd period, not just ours by any means. This always happens this stage of the season come the 3rd period in tight hockey games. You play your older more mature type players over the inexperienced guys (or guys who just are not going on that certain night).

As for the defensemen comment, our defense is no worse then SC defense at least our defensemen wanted to throw checks outside of Lernout their defense just swing their sticks around. The puck possession game we try to play on a game to game basis helps our defensemen out a lot by not having to play countless minutes in our own end without the puck. If we got a key injury on our backend then yes we could have a glaring hole but with that said Schacher is capable of playing more quality minutes though & he does keep his game very simple.

I think we gotta start giving Williams a lot of credit for his improved defensive play. The kid finished the month of February +13 & had 2g10a him and Sinitsyn have become a pretty reliable defensive pairing for the ts...Sinitsyn himself has had a very good month as well with 3g10a +10 & imo both have gained a ton of confidence and are starting to lead the rush a lot smarter as well.

Fight Guy
03-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Been meaning to mention Williams and Sinitsyn a few times. Sinitsyn has been pretty decent all season, but has been very good through February. I remember at the beginning of the season when we thought Williams had to go. Well, he seems to have turned out pretty damn fine. He has been very solid and I have complete confidence in him leading a rush and playing in the offensive zone. His game has improved loads over the season. Makes me happy he'll be around next season. The one sour spot on defense, for me, is Mumby. He's not a bad player, but he just isn't the most effective. I don't think he saw much ice in the 3rd either. It would be nice if Hand weren't gone for the season.

The one thing that is extremely good about all these players playing well and playing under Cameron all year, that next season, they will all know from the get go what they need to do to be successful. They know his systems work and should be able to carry it into next season, especially if they can put together a nice playoff run. If Conacher coached this season, the Pats would, at best, be battling for the last playoff spot. Looking back on his first season, it's kinda sad that he came out as the East Coach of the Year compared to what Cameron has done with the team this season. Though, have to give Conacher credit for changing the culture in the room and for bringing Cameron in in the first place.

chopper
03-01-2014, 12:16 AM
This was a real gutsy win and our 2nd and 3rd lines were the main reasons for the win. Out 1st line did squat because our centerman was simply crap. He couldn't win a draw for his life, coasted all evening, hung onto the puck too long, and was terribly undisciplined. When he gets abuse he doesn't take it so he responds or reacts. Last game in Swift a tripping and talking penalty. Tonight he was somewhat undisciplined as well. He got away with a couple as well. He is a "me" player who doesn't really like defence. I expect he will play in the minors for quite a spell until he learns how to skate every shift and play hard defence.

You could tell the lack of our true 2nd line is starting to hurt. Congrats to those who stuck to the plan and showed they weren't afraid of hard work. I also agree that our defence is suspect, probably because they are quite undersized.

The will only go as far as Wapple can carry them.

Bighat
03-01-2014, 12:01 PM
Reagen and Harrison have the flu and Leier and hunt are both ready to go but I suspect they won't play till the last week of the season. They'll get 2-3 games before the playoffs. I like the way the defence is playing. I have to give Williams credit he is playing well, the difference he is playing aggressive more like Burroughs. You add a goalie you have confidence in and you can play more on the edge. We will have 4 lines playing strong heading into the playoffs, we could make a run.

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 12:36 PM
If it wasn't for Chandler Stephenson the Pats wouldn't be sitting where they are in the standings, he creates so much open ice for whoever his linemates are at the time. He has that game breaking potential each & every time he is on the ice. Stephenson is at his best when he is engaged into the game which at times does lead to penalties, not 1 of his penalties hurt us last night so not really sure what the problem is or hate on for the player is all about.

You wanna talk about a player who was lazy in the defensive zone last night take a look at Klinchuk there is a prime example of a very lazy player defensively. He has so much to learn just like Stephenson did, I will say he does need to get better at faceoffs but with that said all of our centers are not very good at the draw I personally think D'Amico is our best.

This team would look so much different without Stephenson in the lineup cause Klimchuk is far from ready to be the go-to-guy & dominate on a nightly basis. Yes he's a good player but he is not going to beat you much 1on1. Yes Stephenson took a couple bad penalties in SC but the game was over in the 1st we didn't have the guns to match the Broncos & I'm sure it was very frustrating as a player as I know it was frustrating as a fan to watch. This team is not used to losing anymore, we expect to win each & every night a lot of that can be because of the addition to Boston Leier into our dressing room but also towards Head Coach Cameron as well. The long time Pats players such as Stevenson, Stephenson got used to accepting losing so now when we lose it gets to them (as it should).

Going to MJ today for the game at times I think I'm abit crazy to go in this stupidly cold weather but hey I'm a die hard fan & its a fun time in MJ especially sitting in the box seats away from the aloof the MJ hooligans ;)

RWAH
03-01-2014, 12:37 PM
IMO no team in the east conference will win a 7 game set against Edm or Cal so a run will be the second round. I will however enjoy watching Edm or Cal for 2 or 3 games in April. Hell I will just enjoy going to the rink in April, that has not happened for more than a decade. Having said that it is contingent we do not end the season in 6th or 8th. If we do we will be watching the 2 or 3 games in March.

RWAH
03-01-2014, 12:50 PM
PD114 My comment was not that Chandler is not the best player on this team. I note a change in him that is not team. I think he is still a very good player and creates many scoring chances for his line and is our best player it seems a change in attitude (selfish) (self centred) it appears in his body language.
I agree with out him we would be sucking to make the playoffs.

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 12:56 PM
PD114 My comment was not that Chandler is not the best player on this team. I note a change in him that is not team. I think he is still a very good player and creates many scoring chances for his line and is our best player it seems a change in attitude (selfish) (self centred) it appears in his body language.
I agree with out him we would be sucking to make the playoffs.

Sorry RWAH the comment wasn't really towards you I should of quoted but didn't it was more towards Chopper's comments on Stephenson

Bighat
03-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Don't be surprised if we don't shock the world against either calgary or Edmonton.

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 01:26 PM
Don't be surprised if we don't shock the world against either calgary or Edmonton.

I don't think were good enough to knock out either CGY or EDM in a 7 game series we may win 1 or 2 games but in the end I their deep talent would just take over...im trying to be as realistic as possible, we would definitely need all cards on deck for a series with them... Also don't take Red Deer to lightly either (if they hold onto that spot) being a rival series you never know what could happen plus RD has a great goalie who could steal an entire series.

chopper
03-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Sorry RWAH the comment wasn't really towards you I should of quoted but didn't it was more towards Chopper's comments on Stephenson
I really don't what the hell your talking about, and I wonder if you do. If you were at the game you would have seen Klimchuk skating miles last night, much like he has in the past while. He couldn't last Wednesday since he was sick. Last night Stephenson coasted all night and played disinterested, much like what has been posted here. He produced nothing the last two games (biggest games of the year). He was undisciplined last night and Wednesday as well. He is expected to be one of our best players. Your best player has to be your best player. Who the hell said he wasn't a useful and valuable player? Who? He did play quite selfish and coasted all night long. Klimchuk has the same +27 that Stephenson does but has played fewer games. Had he played the same number of games his rating would be much higher, so don't talk defence to me. He was playing decent even when he wasn't scoring and the coaches acknowledged that fact. Klimchuk is the hardest worker on that line and not worthy of your dribble.

Because you don't seem to understand how penalties hurt a club, Stephenson got out of the box at 12:09 and we got scored on at 12:24. We were unable to get tired pk people off the ice and they score 15 seconds later. He then at the 12:24 mark takes another penalty with Burns after he went after Burns. It was coincidental but took him away from the team for another 2 minutes. Off for nearly 4 consecutive minutes and got scored upon. Just a little lesson for you about the game of hockey.

I don't know how stating facts equates to hating a player. If that's your take all I can say is your full of s__t. You want to put words in someone's mouth? Go elsewhere!

Bighat
03-01-2014, 03:19 PM
I agree totally chopper I said the same thing last nite about chandler. As for the playoffs anything can happen injuries, pressure, and good old MO. I've seen teams get hot and win series they shouldn't have.

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Ok old man do I need to refresh your head on the 2 glaring mistakes Klimchuk made defensively which resulted in 2 goals????

The Burns goal go watch the replay Klimchuk gave up quit pressuring him from behind & let Burns walk right in to pick his spot, now with that said Sinitsyn didn't step up either so they are both at fault but back side pressure means a lot as well.

Now for the 2nd goal where Klimchuk slipped up which was right after Stephenson's penalty ended, klimchuk paniced to get the puck up ice to Stephenson for a breakaway he didn't realise how much time he really had to make the play up to Stephenson.

Simple mistakes by Klimchuk costed us 2 goals, it happens to blame Stephenson is just flat out retarded. The ref's made a lot of phantom calls on both sides & missed a lot on both sides as well. So before you talk sh_t to me get your facts straight first as well old man. There my opinions just like you have your own opinions, you may not agree with mine aat times, just like I don't agree with yours at times as well.

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Also I didn't put any words into your mouth, I just didn't agree that he was as lazy as you say he was. You get pretty excited when someone doesn't agree with you hey lol

chopper
03-01-2014, 03:44 PM
I agree totally chopper I said the same thing last nite about chandler. As for the playoffs anything can happen injuries, pressure, and good old MO. I've seen teams get hot and win series they shouldn't have.

Thanks. it's refreshing to know there are people who get. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who spotted that (I was thinking maybe I was too old). It's been a trend in the last couple of games and it was articulated. I don't hate anyone and I never said such a thing. Some people like to single this old man out.

The playoffs are a different animal. They may work ok for us in that Referees tend to call fewer penalties, and our pk isn't working real well right now. As long as the walking wounded return we have a shot. Everything goes through Edmonton and Calgary so you really don't want them first round. If we can hang on to 2nd seed then I think we have a shot at winning a round. After that all bets are off. Wapple will be the key for us. Playoff goaltending is what usually separates two evenly matched teams.

chopper
03-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Ok old man do I need to refresh your head on the 2 glaring mistakes Klimchuk made defensively which resulted in 2 goals????

The Burns goal go watch the replay Klimchuk gave up quit pressuring him from behind & let Burns walk right in to pick his spot, now with that said Sinitsyn didn't step up either so they are both at fault but back side pressure means a lot as well.

Now for the 2nd goal where Klimchuk slipped up which was right after Stephenson's penalty ended, klimchuk paniced to get the puck up ice to Stephenson for a breakaway he didn't realise how much time he really had to make the play up to Stephenson.

Simple mistakes by Klimchuk costed us 2 goals, it happens to blame Stephenson is just flat out retarded. The ref's made a lot of phantom calls on both sides & missed a lot on both sides as well. So before you talk sh_t to me get your facts straight first as well old man. There my opinions just like you have your own opinions, you may not agree with mine aat times, just like I don't agree with yours at times as well.

Burns was Sinitsyn's man and he let him get around him. Wapple was beat short side high, too deep in the net. I would chalk that one up to Sinitsyn and Wapple on that play.

Klimchuk made an attempt to get the puck to Stephenson. It doesn't always work out, but he tried. He had just finished killing a penalty and was gassed.

Stephenson has less than 50/50 chance of scoring at any rate with the way the Broncos goalie was playing. It surely wasn't a guaranteed goal. I doubt anyone would chalk that up as a lost goal.

If Klimchuk would have taken a little off his backhand, maybe it wouldn't have hit the crossbar either.

I don't see how Klimchuk can to taken to task on either play and I doubt the coaching staff did, but feel free to do so. Insightful opinion is always welcome.

I post this with a Caveat; being an old man (over 50) I probably need to get glasses....... it's a tough getting old.

RWAH
03-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Just before we all start thinking we can make the league final. In the last 20 years only once a team that finished lower than 3rd has played in the league final. That once was Kootney just a few years ago who finished 4th (by one point) but with 4 wins more than 3rd (looser points). It has only been recently that the division winners are seeded 1 and 2 so for most of the 20 years it was based on regular season point seeding. With that system would seed us as 5th not second.
Just saying its playoffs and anything can happen but history is not on our side

chopper
03-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Also I didn't put any words into your mouth, I just didn't agree that he was as lazy as you say he was. You get pretty excited when someone doesn't agree with you hey lol

From what I've see and read I'm not alone in that category.

I sure you're disgusted with yourself for commenting that someone has a hate on for a player, and then reference it to a post made by me. One could call that whatever one chooses.

I'm an old man and a Christian, so I forgive you.....hey LOL

chopper
03-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Just before we all start thinking we can make the league final. In the last 20 years only once a team that finished lower than 3rd has played in the league final. That once was Kootney just a few years ago who finished 4th (by one point) but with 4 wins more than 3rd (looser points). It has only been recently that the division winners are seeded 1 and 2 so for most of the 20 years it was based on regular season point seeding. With that system would seed us as 5th not second.
Just saying its playoffs and anything can happen but history is not on our side

Your right about the realities of seeded teams and the playoffs. The odds of a team seeded below 4th in the conference advancing are slim indeed. A team that is soaring going into playoffs might have an outside chance, but that's why they play seven game series. In a seven game series the talent and depth of a greater team usually prevails.

It would be monumental for any East Division team to make it to the Conference final let alone League final. It will be a great day when we finally see an East Division "League Champion". There has been much talk on why the East Division has fallen on such hard times. For the Pats it would be a huge step to win one round again. I think we can do it if we finish 2nd or 7th seed. There is some talent here but I think the overall depth, particularly on defence, isn't enough to go any further. Anything can happen but you have to go back to the stats.

Fight Guy
03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
You guys both make good points. Stephenson HAS been taking some bad penalties, but like PD114 said, when you get used to winning and things don't work out for you, you get frustrated. We saw it in the Victoria and Calgary games. When they couldn't get their **** together when the Pats were playing their 'A' game, they were getting selfish and doing stupid things. Only they seemed to have the refs on their side when doing so...lol. Also, like I said, Stephenson has been a bit lazy all season. He showed it last night but also showed great second efforts at other times, like when he broke up the partial breakaway. It's no different than Weal at 19.

The goal you guys are arguing over is all three their fault. Klimchuck could have easily put in a second effort and kept with him and took him to the outside, in which Sinitsyn would have probably got parked in front of the net. But because Klimchuck let up and watched the play unfold, Sinitsyn had to take the man, which I really didn't think he did too much wrong. Wapple is to blame too as he had no chance of making the save in the position he was in. If he's up on his feet(pretty sure he went to his knees), the net is blocked.

The third goal, Klimchuk did panic a bit, but that was both his and Stephenson's fault. Chandler pretty well just stood there while waiting for a pass while Klimchuk seemed to want to get him while he was moving. If he would have started skating, he probably wouldn't have missed the pass, and he gets the break. The goal that DID happen, was the perfect bounce behind the net. Wapple is good at getting across, but the back door play has been hard on him. That's not completely his fault as that guy should be covered, but still.

Fight Guy
03-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Oh ya, as for the playoffs, history is history. Not saying the Pats have a good chance at the Final, but I don't think enough credit is being given. We've seen what the Pats can do with a full or near to full line-up when they play 60mins. You can look at the standings all you want, but it tells you what teams have done through 72 games. If the Pats had the line-up they have now, with lines in place like now, and playing full 60min games under Cameron like they do now, where do you think the Pats would be in the standings??

It might be hard for some people to believe, but this Pats team, right now, is one of the best teams in the league. Maybe not all the best players, but Cameron has been getting everything he can out of pretty well all the players, something McCrimmon has been doing for years. I'm not going to get to deep into it as I need to leave to get to Moose Jaw, but I, for one, think the Pats have the ability to surprise some people come playoff time. The way the Pats have played, they SHOULDN'T have any problems in the first round. (I'm fully confident Regina will hold on to top spot in the East)

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm sure glad FightGuy remembers the 2nd goal better then Chopper does :)

Burns never did go around Sinitsyn, as Sinitsyn was at fault as well as he didn't step up as he was more so guarding the front of the net & by the time he realised Klimchuk bailed on the backcheck it was too late.

Its ok to have favortie players & think they can do no wrong at times its nice to take those rose colored glasses off & watch the entire play. I'll agree that yes at times Stephenson takes the odd shift off but even the shifts off he does take very rarely does it ever come back & burn us as he is always in good defensive position even when he is coasting. Just remember elite plyers know where to go as they see how the play is developing.

chopper
03-01-2014, 07:02 PM
I guess everyone see things slightly different. But for the sake of accuracy Klimchuk was looking for the guy coming into the slot. If Sinitsyn challenges Burns like Klimchuk thought he would, his only play was a pass into the centre ice area. Who was there you say? The centre man is supposed to come down the middle. Which centerman bailed early? Who was looking to take his spot? Sometimes what you think your seeing may not be what it is. More than anything I would put the goal mostly on Wapple, and he's a favourite of mine. You can not give up short side goals, as they will kill you.

chopper
03-01-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm sure glad FightGuy remembers the 2nd goal better then Chopper does :)

Burns never did go around Sinitsyn, as Sinitsyn was at fault as well as he didn't step up as he was more so guarding the front of the net & by the time he realised Klimchuk bailed on the backcheck it was too late.

Its ok to have favortie players & think they can do no wrong at times its nice to take those rose colored glasses off & watch the entire play. I'll agree that yes at times Stephenson takes the odd shift off but even the shifts off he does take very rarely does it ever come back & burn us as he is always in good defensive position even when he is coasting. Just remember elite plyers know where to go as they see how the play is developing.

Post your thoughts on the game tonight as I understand you will be there. It's too cold and I'm too old so I will watch it on the 50"

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Just got word from both Hunt & Leier that they are both back on Wednesday night against EDM

Bighat
03-01-2014, 08:06 PM
The brass might keep them out till the weekend. I heard there both healthy so let's hope.

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 09:06 PM
The brass might keep them out till the weekend. I heard there both healthy so let's hope.

I'm just going by what they both told me as they are sitting right below me in club seating at the game tonight.

Fight Guy
03-01-2014, 09:16 PM
They'll want them in the line up versus Edmonton.

Bighat
03-01-2014, 10:04 PM
Did we get any injuries tonite, game sounded rough.

patsdude114
03-01-2014, 10:22 PM
Did we get any injuries tonite, game sounded rough.

I'm not 100% sure but Schacher got his bell rung pretty good midway in the 1st & only played 1 more shift after that, not sure if its hurt or just sore & kept him out since we already had a nice cushion in the score.

As for the game itself the refs were really the story on both sides, there was zero flow to this game which does favour the road team more times then not as the crowd gets taken out of the game then (not that mj fans have a lot to cheer about). A lot of players were coasting to the victory tonight as we are a much more talented team then the Warriors (wow its been a lot of years since we have been able to say that). Steel had a couple good chances to score tonight his best chance came in the 2nd period where he had space to make a move on the goalie I was at the opposite end of the rink it looked like the puck started to roll on him as he was getting ready to shoot. Wagner had another very strong game he took a lot of shifts toinight with Hansen & D'Amico even after Christoffer served his time for his fight.

chopper
03-01-2014, 10:55 PM
That may have been the worst webcast I have ever witnessed. Just plain brutal and a waste of few bucks. From what I was able to see it seemed like the refs could only see blue from the mid point of the second period. At one point we were way ahead on pp's but after we got up 5-1 it seemed like they were officiating based on the score. Not to say we didn't earn many of them.

Listened to Cameron on the post game show. They were trying to congratulate him on making the playoffs but he wasn't having any of it. He was very upset over taking 10 penalties and offered up an ominous scenario. he said words to the effect; that he was very unhappy, that the coaches were talking to the players daily and did before this game. He said they have six games to fix this problem or post season success would be a difficult.

RWAH
03-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Chopper agree the webcast was the s**ts. How can these teams overlay display ads over the game. I guess ad revenue is more important than subscription revenue. I for one paid for these last five games but will not be buying next season. After the last game I took your advise and e-mailed the webcast company and will again today.
On the game side it was brutal refereeing. called cheap s**t and no call on dangerous stuff. That caused the 17 minuets to Christoffer.
The Pats secure 1st with the magic # of 4 Pat wins or Swift losses. With looser points we need 8 points or Swift does not get 8 points from their 7 remaining games (14points).

chopper
03-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Chopper agree the webcast was the s**ts. How can these teams overlay display ads over the game. I guess ad revenue is more important than subscription revenue. I for one paid for these last five games but will not be buying next season. After the last game I took your advise and e-mailed the webcast company and will again today.
On the game side it was brutal refereeing. called cheap s**t and no call on dangerous stuff. That caused the 17 minuets to Christoffer.
The Pats secure 1st with the magic # of 4 Pat wins or Swift losses. With looser points we need 8 points or Swift does not get 8 points from their 7 remaining games (14points).

Yup it sure wasn't worth the money. I am going to send in another complaint as well. Poor equipment and overlaying ads for a full minute while play is going on. How many times do you want to see the 50/50 totals..lol. I bought the season away package and they told me it would improve by next season. I would say about 75% of the webcasts have been acceptable. The other 25% were garbage. There are a lot of us Pats fans who like to watch the away games but don't want to pay for beers and wings every time at the PBSB..lol, and they have the same video issues. I for one would gladly share my webcasts with any good Pats fan at no cost. It's always there.

So 2 Pats wins and 2 Bronco losses should do it right? If they ended up tied in points who would get it. Head to head the Broncos are ahead but the Pats may end up with more wins. Right now it"s 37 Pats and 32 Broncos. Would the team with the most wins take the pennant?

The team will try to win it and I think they can. It's not the end all be all if they don't. In 07-08 the Pats won the pennant but were knocked out in 6 games by Swift Current in the first round. A lot people felt they expended so much energy and emotion gunning for the pennant, that they ran out of gas in the playoffs. Swift has played us pretty well and maybe better than most. I still don't think they are that deep, and will fade out down the stretch. The last time they beat us here in the SO, we went on a tear and they wilted. Maybe they will again, at least I hope so.

RWAH
03-02-2014, 12:57 PM
I am not sure of a tie breaker but 8 points gives us 88, 1 point more than swifts possible 87.
I remember the Swift playoff series. It opened here with Swift winning the first game and the Pats the second. I took the bus trip to Swift, Pats won the first there. The second in double overtime with an open net Eberly shoots and Yonkman in desperation dove across and the puck went off the top of the goal stick and over the net. Swift scored a few minuets later and we never recovered and they won the next two. The seat I had in Swift I had a perfect angle for the shot and miracle save. That game tied the series 2 each but broke the Pats spirit.

chopper
03-02-2014, 02:38 PM
Yes that was a heartbreaker, however to this day I didn't feel we responded too well considering the series was still tied. I have my thoughts why and it had a lot to do with team make-up and leadership. There were a lot of teams in the conference that season with over 90 points. Heck even Lethbridge had 96 points. There were only 5 points between Swift and us so it very close. Much like this season.
It would sure be a boost to have home ice in the first round because it is so close.

Bighat
03-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Realistically we need 3 wins to clinch second but it's that race for 7th that concerns me. I don't want to play pa.

Fight Guy
03-02-2014, 03:31 PM
About the webcast complaints, I don't know why you'd complain about how it's been for the past number of seasons. They use the in house feed that's shown on the big screen. You're always going to be stuck with adds, and it can be annoying when you see the 50/50 on the screen while play has resumed, but it is what it is. Unless you're having issues with the picture itself or connection issues, I wouldn't bother. I've had trouble with that once this year when the Pats were in S'toon. They were having major buffering issues and they were aware of it and it was fixed before the end of the 1st period. Also, really surprised by people complaining about Moose Jaw. They play numerous replays every play almost. I know their adds will over lap every now and then, but I'm really surprised you guys are saying it's one of the worst. I have to disagree. I've never watched it, but I feel bad for anyone who watches a game online from the Brandt Center...

Haven't been to a game in Moose Jaw where the arena was half empty. That was really weird last night. Decent number of Pats fans made the trip though. This was a terrible game to watch. Refs took any flow away from it and they were pretty bad in general. Both teams didn't know what was and wasn't penalty through the first two periods. Not to mention, I haven't seen a double minor for holding in my life either. Takes me back to when Dougherty got an "Unnecessary Roughness" penalty against Swift Current one season...lol.

As for the tie breaker, the team with the most wins gets the spot. If still tied, goes to head to head results, which is where the Pats would be hooped against the Broncos. I also wouldn't compare the last pennant and the playoffs to this seasons pennant and playoff runs. This team is playing a much better game than the somewhat stacked team we had that season. This is a whole different team, and has a whole different feel to me. I'm not going to do any comparing, except maybe to that Kootenay team that got better throughout the season and became hard to be at the end. That team crossed my mind earlier in the season already, when the Pats started to appear to play better and better every game. Weren't playing any 60min games yet, but they got there.

I've forgotten what a full Pats line-up looks like. It's been a couple weeks now and Wednesday might be the closest we've seen to one in awhile. Those games the Pats would dominate. Now with top players out, the Pats continue to win. I feel like a lot of people aren't able to see what the Pats have really got going right now and are too fixated on the past. But, if those people want to worry, they can go ahead and worry. I still think these Pats may surprise a lot of people.

Fight Guy
03-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Realistically we need 3 wins to clinch second but it's that race for 7th that concerns me. I don't want to play pa.
Pats are fine against PA, as long as they don't take any penalties...lol. PA has killed the Pats on the PP all season. Those PP goals were the difference in a number of games this season. But things are really tight in those last few spots. It's nice that the Pats aren't in the thick of it this time around.

chopper
03-02-2014, 04:57 PM
I have been in contact with Neulion who handle the webcasts for the WHL. They have admitted to a number of significant issues, most of which are correctable. They also said that they hope to have them addressed by later this season or next for sure. Buffering appears to be one of the big concerns. Sometimes rinks don't upgrade their equipment in a timely fashion.

Two seasons are never the same for any team. in 07-8 there were 8 teams that finished with a .600 record or better in the conference. It was a much stronger conference. Moose Jaw got the final (8th) spot with a .611 w/%. You needed to be better to get to where you wanted to go.

This year the weak east division has weakened the conference. In the conference there are only 5 teams with winning % over .600. We are at 606% and the only east division team above .600. In all honesty I think it's difficult to use the East division as barometer for success. IMO I think it's healthy to respect the teams and be a little concerned going into playoffs. After all we haven't had the upper hand on any team we're likely to play in the 1st round. Outside of Calgary and Edmonton I doubt that any of the outcomes would be considered a surprise. They will in all likelihood be real hard battles.

I agree that if the Pats gets healthy and knocks of a Calgary I would definitely consider that a surprise. It is doable but it would be a surprise.

patsdude114
03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
The Pats magic number to clinch 1st in the division is 4...be it 4 wins or 4 loses by the Broncos or anything in between that adds up to 4 as long as it favours the pats side...

We get EDM on the second game in as many nights which could favour us slightly (if we take advantage of it) they've been in a dog fight with the Hitmen lately for the top spot in the conference which can get tiring on the mental side of the game. We should be adding in a lot of excitement into our lineup from a players perspective but that can also work against us too thinking things will come easier by adding in Leier & Hunt.

The Pats should have 4 30goal scorers this season when was the last time the Pats had that kind of scoring depth?? & the answer is 1997-98 when we had 4 40+goal scorers that is a very long freaken time to have that sort of scoring depth..

chopper
03-02-2014, 07:32 PM
We certainly got some snipers and also have a staggering 11 players with 30+ points. Right now the offence can seemingly come from anywhere. I think this team is capable of anything it puts its mid to. A lot of the wins lately have been gritty tough wins. That's what is to be expected in the playoffs.

I have two modest concerns; can we keep our needless penalties under control? Will our defence be able to hold up? I hope Schacher isn't out for any prolonged period, and it would be nice if a couple guys could get some rest before playoffs start.

patsdude114
03-02-2014, 08:02 PM
The only way I see anyone getting any rest before the playoffs is if we have the 2nd seed all locked down. A guy like Stephenson, Burroughs & Williams could definitely use a game or 2 off before the playoffs start up, other guys like Klimchuk, Leier, Hunt have been hurt and got time off already due to those injuries.

The stretch run should be fun and very interesting each and every day ;) lets hope tonight the WKs beat the Broncos and then on Tuesday the Oil Kings pull thru for us and beat the Broncos as well.... as I type this out the WKs are up 1-0 in the 2nd period :D

patsdude114
03-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Well so much for that... those damn WKs couldn't even help us out alittle bit (& helping themselves) by beating the Broncos...instead they lose in a SO those pricks!!

booboo
03-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Well so much for that... those damn WKs couldn't even help us out alittle bit (& helping themselves) by beating the Broncos...instead they lose in a SO those pricks!!

Boy, I wish the WK play you guys in the first round of the playoffs. We would have a good chance against you Patsies.:groovy:

patsdude114
03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Boy, I wish the WK play you guys in the first round of the playoffs. We would have a good chance against you Patsies.:groovy:

Ya & we'd have a great chance advancing past the WK's as well, outside of Pulock the WK's defense is pretty weak. Roy shows some flashes but hit him a few times & he plays scared after which is sad since he is a Flames prospect (sadly my fav team). Also that big czech baby you guys have is very easy to get off his game, start chripping him & give him little wacks before every faceoff & he goes out & takes 4 needeless penalties (typical euro). I will say though the WK's have some good young talented players that would make it a good series.

booboo
03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Ya & we'd have a great chance advancing past the WK's as well, outside of Pulock the WK's defense is pretty weak. Roy shows some flashes but hit him a few times & he plays scared after which is sad since he is a Flames prospect (sadly my fav team). Also that big czech baby you guys have is very easy to get off his game, start chripping him & give him little wacks before every faceoff & he goes out & takes 4 needeless penalties (typical euro). I will say though the WK's have some good young talented players that would make it a good series.

I agree it has the potential to be a good series----determined by goaltending in my opinion. I will have to admit that the Pats have played very well this year and I take my hats off to them. I think they get us this year but we get them next year.

patsdude114
03-03-2014, 08:34 PM
I agree it has the potential to be a good series----determined by goaltending in my opinion. I will have to admit that the Pats have played very well this year and I take my hats off to them. I think they get us this year but we get them next year.

Yes I agree that you guys will have the upper hand in the yrs to come forsure, KM has set the franchise up nicely I still don't understaand how in the hell he got LETH pick to select Clague after he lready snagged Patrick. In goal you seem to already use Paprney (prob spelt that wrong) more then Honey, thankfully Lang set us up nicely for a possible 2 more yrs in goal with Wapple, the Pats do have quality 18yr olds that a lot of teams tried to get from us this year they all should be even better next year as well. Good times ahead for both franchises I'm sure