PDA

View Full Version : Pats sprinting down the home stretch....

chopper
03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
It's getting down to the wire and we lead the division. Not many of us would have thunk it especially after the terrible start. Most of the experts had us just above Saskatoon for the basement of the conference. Now according to Alan Caldwell we are 3.5 games away from winning the pennant and #2 seed.

There are obviously a lot of reasons like Leier and Wapple but there are a couple other lesser ones. At the Christmas break Williams was -17 and it wouldn't have hurt my feelings to move him. Since then he is a plus 17 and back to 0+/-. A good non trade there. Schacher has come in a done a real solid quiet job. Not fancy but effective. D'Amico has come back and is playing great hockey. He has 22 points which is just one short of McVeigh, in fewer games and a better plus/minus. The gritty winger they needed was obtained without having to trade any assets.

The next 10 days or so are going to be extremely interesting. It's good to see some battles down the stretch.

patsdude114
03-04-2014, 12:30 PM
IMO as well D'Amico is by far our best faceoff guy next in line to him is Stevenson...I've been really disappointed with the lack of development in the faceoff circle for Stephenson I would love to see his numbers in the faceoff circle my guess is he is only winning faceoffs around the 40% range and even that might be alittle too high. Steel was 2 for 5 in MJ at 15yrs old he even beat Point once as well (something Chandler struggles with every faceoff)

I really don't think McVeigh has been given a fair shot to excel here in Regina, he has looked good on the 4th line and at times when he was given a bigger role during games due to another player not going that night. I know its a team concept and all but I think we do gotta tread water alittle thin here as he may not want to come back as a 20yr old next year if he isn't going to have a role on the team bigger then what he was in MedHat, as of right now I would say he will be Klimchuk's center next year to start the year.

The thing I like most about this season as we have seen a lot of development with the younger/inexperienced players... players like Sinitsyn, Brooks, Harrison, Reagan, Wagner, Zimmer, Gay, Hansen, Williams but with those names mentioned could even go as far as listing down even our top end players (Stevenson, Stephenson, Klimchuk, Leier) as well have really took big strides this season.

This coaching group does exactly what junior coaches are suppose to do and that's develop talent for the next level. Look at the career years our 20yr olds are having, now I get also as a 20yr old they are expected to produce they sit 9th & 11th in 20yr old scoring. I don't think many of us would or predicted Stevenson to score as many goals this season as he has his entire WHL career, right now has 35g entering this year he had 37 career goals. Boston Leier falls into the same story as well he has 31g this year and had 35 career goals. I really do think Cameron needs to be the Coach of the Year for the Eastern Conference but I don't think he beats Dave Lowry as the WHL Coach of the Year. There is a great article on Lowry and the Royals in that CHL magazine.

chopper
03-04-2014, 02:09 PM
That's a real good assessment of our progression this year. There is also a glimpse into possible pieces for next season. I hope we can continue with the mantra the Pats have of wanting to get bigger. Kroeker and Smith would fit that bill nicely. There I go being a cigar store GM again:) Hopefully steel fleshes out at 6' 175lbs. I get a sense that we are only a season or two from becoming a perennial elite franchise in the conference.

RWAH
03-04-2014, 02:32 PM
Agree with both of you: we have seen a lot of improvement in all the players. Chad L has improved the team with out selling the farm.
This year we have the tough end of the schedule to complete. Swift has Edm and Red Deer and then 4 games against the bottom three teams in the conference. Should EDM win (with out any loser points) the number becomes 5 points and those will need to be earned by the Pats. The six games to earn them are EDM, LETH,KOOT,PA,BRN2. Doable but only with hard work.
Has anyone got any info on Robby Fulton who was in camp but dropped from the PPL. He was about 6ft 4in and 230lb as a 16 and played with an attitude. I can't seam to find any 2013/14 stats on him or even where he is playing

patsdude114
03-04-2014, 03:48 PM
Not sure what happened to Fulton I really thought his size would benefit him for staying on with the Pats at least in the 50PL, I do remember in camp though he didn't handle the puck very well which is somewhat regular with a big hulking kid like that. I almost feel we dropped him too early without letting him develop some puck skills first. I mean come on we had what 2yrs of Fenske not able to control a puck there was at least abit of potential for Fulton to maybe develop that skill.

If Steel fills out to that 6'0 175-180 range he should become a very high 1st round pick for the NHL, sometimes drafting too good at this level can hurt you ie look at RD when they drafted RNH.

chopper
03-04-2014, 04:05 PM
No idea what happened to Fulton but the Pats listed two 98 D-men in Krushen and Lovell so it may have simply been list adjusting.

I know it's a real trap trying to guess what teams you should beat, and ones that will be extra tough. While Swift seems to have the easier schedule, they pretty much have to run the table. Edmonton is elite tough, Red Deer has Bartosak and playing in Red Deer will be a challenge. Red Deer is clawing and fighting to make a playoff spot. They won't be easy. I believe they have lost two or three times to Saskatoon this year, and MJ has beat them this year. This could be MJ's swan song this year.

If the Broncos run the table and the Pats collapse over the next 10 days or so, they didn't deserve to get 2nd seed. I don't think that's going to happen. I won't predict but I think we should be OK.

RWAH
03-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Chopper I agree with the run the table and we callaspe, we do not deserve the #2 seed. its that Swift final 4 game could be against a lot of midget and APs if those teams want to get a start on training camp. We need Pat wins and not Swift losses to stay in first. The Pats can do that by playing the way they have in February. 60 minuet high tempo games. Easy to say but may be hard to do.

chopper
03-04-2014, 05:38 PM
There is always a risk that teams won't play it out but that is something we can't control. What we can control is winning our own games. The way I see it our goal should be to run the table, and we are most capable. We need three wins and a loser point and it's all over. Then it doesn't matter what Swift does whatsoever. If they were to lose tonight that number goes to 2 wins and a loser point. I think Cameron will have the ready to do what they need to.

sbtatter
03-04-2014, 08:29 PM
Regina have the division won easily.
SC will finish 6th, Bdn 7th and PA 8th. Regina home to Bdn in a series that will be all home wins. That's my guess!!

Bighat
03-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Swift current aren't going away easy.

franchise
03-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Swift current aren't going away easy.

Down 3-1 with 7 minutes left or something like that and they pull a rabbit out of the hat. Kept checking the WHL site off and on and thought I was misreading it. The Broncos are a handful. The Pats are a big handful. And Brandon another handful. Maybe the division isn't as lame as its stats. And whats up with P.A.? 9 goals tonight? Gonna be interesting.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-04-2014, 10:23 PM
I think SC has it honestly. I see us being lucky if they lose two of their last 5 games(mjx2, leth, toon, and red deer). They got over their big hurdle here, and we face a likely pissed off Edmonton team tmrw, which was a tough enough prospect already.

We also get Brandon back to back and they've been a spoiler team for as long as I can remember regardless who they got or who we got.

Cal or Edm have 1st and 3rd, and Med Hat has 4th wrapped up. Youd think us or swift have 2nd or 5th with Kootenay faltering to 6th and then Brandon will face the division leader. I guess it isn't right to complain about things being ideal considering how often this franchise has made the playoffs the last few years.

franchise
03-04-2014, 10:48 PM
I think SC has it honestly. I see us being lucky if they lose two of their last 5 games(mjx2, leth, toon, and red deer). They got over their big hurdle here, and we face a likely pissed off Edmonton team tmrw, which was a tough enough prospect already.

We also get Brandon back to back and they've been a spoiler team for as long as I can remember regardless who they got or who we got.

Cal or Edm have 1st and 3rd, and Med Hat has 4th wrapped up. Youd think us or swift have 2nd or 5th with Kootenay faltering to 6th and then Brandon will face the division leader. I guess it isn't right to complain about things being ideal considering how often this franchise has made the playoffs the last few years.

Seems to me Toon Town has had the Broncos number lately, at least enough to make it tough (and I have a soft spot for the Blades this year - I just really admire Struch). Something isn't quite right in Edmonton and I think the Hitmen win the conference easily. Never been a fan of Edmonton's Coach and I do like Williamson in Calgary. Every time I hear Laxdal after a loss its always about his team sucking, choking, mailing it in, etc. He's thrown more of his own people under the bus than Don Cherry. Not once have I heard him give credit to another team.
Edmonton plays a patient game and aren't nearly as skilled as the Pats. Seriously. It's a mind game. As for Brandon that one is a problem. They are just as likely to go on a tear and beat everybody. Interesting indeed.

patsdude114
03-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Wasn't expecting SC to beat EDM tonight at all & not what the Pats wanted at all, the Pats will have their hands full tomorrow night now as EDM donlose 2 in a row often. We are getting Leier & Hunt back so hopefully that will help & give us some much needed energy to start the game & with alittle luck maybe jump out to an early lead.

If the boys want 1st place bad enough they just gotta remember the cards are in their hand first its up to them to do something with them. That's win 4 games of our final 6 games. Not an easy task especially with who we play but it can be done, let's start tomorrow night with a big win over another top team.

franchise
03-04-2014, 11:02 PM
“We got sloppy making turnovers and soft, and it resulted in goals,” said Oil Kings head coach Derek Laxdal. “When we shoot ourselves in the foot, we do a good job of it.

As for his top line:
"They created a lot, but they were on for the winning goal against, so if you play that well, you need to come back the other way too,” Laxdal said.

patsdude114
03-05-2014, 12:53 AM
Yep he is a arrogant prick which is why he has not got a pro job yet & if he doesn't change how he comes across may never see a pro job. Just wait til they go into another rebuild he will blow a gasket with losing lots after having so many winning seasons.

sbtatter
03-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Yep he is a arrogant prick which is why he has not got a pro job yet & if he doesn't change how he comes across may never see a pro job. Just wait til they go into another rebuild he will blow a gasket with losing lots after having so many winning seasons.

He is arrogant and so is his teams attitude. They don't know how to spell the word class, let alone what it means

patsdude114
03-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Roughly an hour and a half til puck drop at the Brandt Center, hoping tonights game is another treat to watch like the Victoria & Calgary game (altho I missed the cgy game) with the same result would be fanfreakentastic. Since SC beat these guys last night I do believe it puts ALOT of pressure on us to beat them as well, especially with going on the road for 2 in LETH & KOO

We need 3 wins plus a loser point somewhere to make sure we clinch 1st in our division, that is of course if SC wins out the rest of the year (which I hope to hell they don't) with the schedule that SC has its really making this fan look over his shoulder in the standings seeing how many different ways things can work out. Either way it is coming down to the final weekend against BRN for us & MJ for SC...I highly doubt things will be settled before then.....with any luck for us come that weekend BRN will have 7th spot all locked down with no room to move up or down and the odds of them sitting a few guys may be greater & they will be just as happy to close out the year with no more injuries as they get ready to face the Pats in round 1 ;)

chopper
03-05-2014, 10:47 PM

The Pats have painted themselves into a corner. Just got back from the game and geez the ride up the #11 was crappy, just about as crappy as the Pats effort. In two of their last four games the Pats have not given the required effort. It started out a week ago with a home and home and they let Swift get 3 out of 4 points. Now that Swift has beat Edmonton and we sucked against them it's going to be tough. The Broncos have five games to make up 3 points.

Our defence was brutal with Sinitsyn and Williams playing ungodly bad. Two direct turnover goals, and another soft coverage goal were just gifts to the Oil Kings. The owned us all night, and when they ramp it up we had no answer. Our first line was MIA. Hunt was good as was Wagner. MacAuley was pretty decent after Wapple got knocked out the game. After that not much push back by the Pats.

The Broncos are playing like they believe and we're playing like were choking. I think that win over Edmonton on Tuesday may have sealed our fate. It's still doable but not playing the way they did tonight.

RWAH
03-05-2014, 11:10 PM
Real tough game for Sinitsyn he was responsible for 2 goals. It was like before Christmas, no puck support, no team play, cycle the puck to long. Edm turned up the pressure in the second and we could not or did not respond. I missed the post game any word on Wapple

chopper
03-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Harders blog suggests Wapple right leg is injured. The extent wasn't available but he was under some distress. Hopefully he isn't out too long. Regardless where we end up they need him for the playoffs.

If they don't get 2nd seed they need to try to at least get 5th place. That would mean facing Medicine Hat. That's better than Edmonton or Calgary.

The "cuteness and excuses" surrounding Sinitsyn's mistakes is starting to wear thin. Williams was back to old habits when I thought he had changed. Now a -3 d-man. All in all our defence is our real achilles heel, and it has been so most of the year. There is much wrong with our defence but that's a discussion for another time.

Cameron was quite uncomplimentary about his teams heart and effort (Harders blog) This is twice in a week and he is quite right. Unfortunately that's a bad turn to take considering the situation they are in and what they're supposed to be fighting for.

sbtatter
03-06-2014, 07:41 AM
Was Steel playing last night?

chopper
03-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Steel didn't play last night and may not play too much if the Pats think they have a shot at 2nd seed. They got Hunt back (2 goals) and Leier (2 assists) so Steel was one of the guys squeezed out.

sbtatter
03-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Steel didn't play last night and may not play too much if the Pats think they have a shot at 2nd seed. They got Hunt back (2 goals) and Leier (2 assists) so Steel was one of the guys squeezed out.

Nolan Patrick and Tanner Kaspicks teams are 1 loss away from elimination so Bdn may have them to call on soon. Clagues team is onto the next round.

patsdude114
03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
I personally don't think Williams had a bad game at all, was 1 of our better Dmen behind Burroughs. Zgraggen was very bad last night well but no 1 was as bad as Sinitsyn was, Williams +/- was a direct fall back on how brutal Sinitsyn was, I told my buddy in the afternoon after reading the article on Sinitsyn in the LP told him 'watch after his head has swelled from media attention he will crap the bed tonight' which is exactly what happened.

That collision in the crease looked pretty bad for Wapple but the OK player was driven into the ned it was a good non call by the refs, can't recall who the Dman was I want to say Mumby but could be wrong.

EDM makes you skate you arse off in the D zone, half the time they don't even care about setting up a play they just ring the puck around the wall for the Dman to pinch down to maintain pressure, their such a good skating team & they know where to puck the puck where the defensive coverage has no chance at getting it.

chopper
03-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Yup it was Mumby who caused that collision, although the Edmonton player made no attempt to get out of the road. Although it doesn't matter I've seen guys called for the same thing.

Sinitsyn's head was completely up his behind. He always wants to over handle or beat a couple guys before making a play. All he had to do on Baddocks goal was make one simple pass and we're out of our end. These gaffes were acceptable early in the year. However one would have thought by now he would have figured it out. Either one quick lead pass or chip it out.

Edmonton's forecheck game is based on it's team speed. They are clearly a faster better skating team than us. As you say Zagraggen wasn't good, but Schacher and Mumby also struggled. Our D had a tough time with Edmonton's speed. Overall our D was substandard. Our forwards couldn't get back quick enough to help at times.

Our forecheck was slow and compete level almost non-existent. Their D moved it out of their zone effortlessly all night. If your going in deep to forecheck you better have speed to get back if you lose possession. Against these fast teams we may have to employ a little more defence first based strategy. Two years ago when they went to the Memorial Cup we won all four regular season games from them. Conacher took their speed out of them with his system. Maybe time to look at a variation of that.

Fight Guy
03-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Harder is reporting that Wapple has suffered a badly sprained ankle (but no breaks or tears) and a possible concussion. Pats are hoping he will be able to return in time for playoffs, but have no clue yet. Fuhr will back up MacAuley this weekend. If the weather prevents him from making it in time for tomorrows game, Kurtis Chapman will be called up.

patsdude114
03-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Harder is reporting that Wapple has suffered a badly sprained ankle (but no breaks or tears) and a possible concussion.

If he is out for any length of time our chances of possibly winning a series goes out the door. MacAuley could prob sneak out a win or 2 but I don't think over a 7 game series he has what it takes.

Just curious was Harrison still unable to play last night? Cause wow having Mumby play over Harrison doesn't make a lot of sense especially when you know how good of a skating team the OKs are.....if Sinitsyn doesn't give them 2 goals last night it more then likely a different game. Not saying it would of mattered as maybe the OKs press that much harder to get the lead. I think the biggest problem with Sinitsyn's gives away's last night was the time they happened. I mean we just go up 1-0 & 12secs later its tied, had we made them earn that tieing goal it may of been a different story.

chopper
03-06-2014, 06:49 PM
If he is out for any length of time our chances of possibly winning a series goes out the door. MacAuley could prob sneak out a win or 2 but I don't think over a 7 game series he has what it takes.

Just curious was Harrison still unable to play last night? Cause wow having Mumby play over Harrison doesn't make a lot of sense especially when you know how good of a skating team the OKs are.....if Sinitsyn doesn't give them 2 goals last night it more then likely a different game. Not saying it would of mattered as maybe the OKs press that much harder to get the lead. I think the biggest problem with Sinitsyn's gives away's last night was the time they happened. I mean we just go up 1-0 & 12secs later its tied, had we made them earn that tieing goal it may of been a different story.

There are a lot of good points in this post PD114.

- I prefer Harrison over Mumby any day. Harrison is a bit bigger and a lot stronger plus he competes harder and is defensively much better. He is usually in good position and is also a puck mover. Maybe he handles Bertolucci better than Mumby did, with a better outcome.

- MacAuley doesn't battle as hard as Wapple, doesn't move laterally as well as Wapple, and isn't near as good on shootouts. MacAuley will have to backstop the Pats if they hope to get 2nd seed, and perhaps further. The next week tells if he does. I'm not feeling too at ease about this happenstance. Now we will see what MacAuley is made of. I think our chances took a big blow.

- When Sinitsyn turned over the puck and they scored you could see the life get sucked out of the team. And instead of knuckling down he fell apart and was useless all game. Those easy goals probably meant the difference of at least getting a loser point or not. Instead of a 3.5 magic number it could have been reduced to 3. Sometimes little things mean a lot.

Fight Guy
03-07-2014, 04:45 AM
I really don't like that Harrison hasn't been playing. I hope there is a good reason he isn't playing and not just sitting out in place of Mumby. Harrison is the better, more effective d-man. Mumby has shown in the past couple games why he hasn't been playing all that much the past month. Harrison isn't listed as injured or sick, so this makes me wonder.

patsdude114
03-07-2014, 10:50 AM
On the opening faceoff when we won the draw back to Zgraggen & he tripped over the blueline & gave the OK's an early 2on1 chance I knew it was going to be 1 of those nights.

Let's remember this the Regina Pats organization were talking about here, we never make things easy on ourselves. If there's a hard way to do something bet you dollar that we are taking that route. I do think we still have 3 very winnable games & with any luck squeak out a loser point in KOO or 1 of the other games. Actually SC can just damn well lose 2 games make it easier on us lol although with how their playing I don't see it happening, they have a mission to reclaim 1st & have the schedule to do it

chopper
03-07-2014, 01:13 PM
This is something we will have to do for ourselves as opposed to what someone might do for us. Laxdal said something interesting in the last pre game interview by Andrews. He said he wants his team playing well down the stretch and they will finish where they finish. He goes on to say no matter where you finish in the standings, you still have to win in the playoffs.

I have seen teams get so emotionally invested in the 1st place run that they tank in the first round. It happens at every level. We have to firm up our lines, tighten our defence, and play really well down the stretch. The standings will be what they will be. Play well and things should take care of themselves.

Fight Guy
03-07-2014, 09:33 PM
Well, Harrison is dressed tonight instead of Mumby and already looks better. Steel and Wagner get the call over Zimmer, Kammerer and Brooks. Wagner has been great and gotta love he's only 16. A little surprised Brooks was scratched. Not sure if healthy or not, but could probably use a night off either way. He's been playing a lot.

Hurricanes maintained pressure on the Pats at the beginning of the second with some PP time, but it was all for none as D'Amico set up Christoffer shorthanded on a 2-on-1. Two more goals followed shortly after and Williams put them up 5-1 with six seconds left in the 2nd. Hoping Steel gets some extra playing time with this lead. He seems to have learned the systems well and has been in position too cycle the puck good too. He's been playing with Wagner and a veteran. Might get a chance with the first or second line again.

Turns out on the first goal in the 1st, when Stephenson got the puck up to Klimchuk, he took a pretty big hit as he let the puck go, but stayed on his feet. Hasn't played since. Hopefully nothing serious. He kinda flailed awkwardly when he got hit, but looked harmless.

patsdude114
03-07-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the update fight guy :) as I just woke up from some stupid shifts of pushing/hauling snow. Work til 5am sleep for 4hrs then go move snow for condos & apartments til 6pm, was sooo tired & we haven't even started hauling our commerical sites yet gonna be a solid 3 maybe 4 nights of hauling. I remember u saying last year you do/did something with snow removal as well? For some reason I remember u mentioning something aabout the snow dump site......

Anyways I have been very impressed with Wagner lately, that end to end rush he had against EDM late in 3rd when he rang it off the bar was a quite impressive rush, he has been taking off a lot lately, he is going to be a gem of a PWF as he builds more strength & confidence as he gets older. I'll say this now as I can't recall who it was back in training camp I think yes he is a 5th rd pick who looks like he is going to turn into something, but with that said its still fairly rare it happens like that.

Fight Guy
03-07-2014, 10:40 PM
I work for the city and often drive semi when we're removing bridge decks and guard rails, and sometimes the main removal. Been stuck on a sander a lot of this season though.

Hopefully precautionary, but Williams and Burroughs both left in the 3rd. Williams was checked right in the numbers by Derko and his head bounced straight off the glass. Two good camera angles, one from the side that looked really dirty. Worst part was, it was the 'Canes Hit of the Game. Though in return, Williams got 2nd Star as he had a good game. He may have a concussion though. 2 minutes boarding on the play. Burroughs got hit by the Pats bench and went down awkwardly. They're saying it could be a concussion now though. Our defensive fears are coming true...

Sounds like Stephenson will play tomorrow night. If Williams and Burroughs can't go, I'm guessing Hanson moves back to defense against the Ice. He can play solid back there and will help out being that short handed while Mumby gets back in. I'm guessing Brooks will play too. Pats are finally healthy up front and can afford to move Hanson back. That's what I'd do anyway. If the stars align and Lethbridge somehow pulls off the upset over Swift Current, and the Pats can knock off Kootenay, 2nd seed could be locked up just like that! Not counting on that though.

patsdude114
03-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Terrible news if 2 of out top 3 Dmen are out with concussions, really going to test our depth now if this is the case. I agree that Hansen needs to be moved back to the blueline if this is the case, hes a bigger body that can handle guys down low.

chopper
03-08-2014, 12:30 AM
It was a rather dirty hit on Williams and should be reported for supplemental. Not that it really matters since Lethbridge isn't going anywhere, and Derko sitting really doesn't mean much.

I hope the injuries aren't too serious but who knows. They reported on the PBP that Williams may have more of a neck issue as opposed to concussion. Burroughs situation is up in the air. I have long worried that our defence was quite small, particularly since two of our top guys are well under 6'. When I look at the elite teams their D are usually huge. They are people movers and puck movers. Not too many 6'3" d-men go down with concussions. A guy hates to break up the third line but I think I feel more secure with the bigger Hanson on the back end.

I watched until I couldn't stand the terrible feed (again) Good in the first but didn't score but 1 goal. Got a shorty and a PP on our way to four in the second. We didn't score in the third and played rather poorly. There are still too many needless penalties. Cameron said if the players don't take it to heart they will be out of the playoffs quick. After a shaky first period MacAuley was pretty decent the rest of the way.

Since Swift lost tonight the magic number is 1.5. Their fate is still in their own hands but this steady stream of injuries is going to eventually hurt. Should be an incentive to play very defensively and stop these needless penalties 200 feet from your goal.

Fight Guy
03-08-2014, 12:52 AM
I actually forgot about Reagan on the back end too. I'd almost take him over Mumby with Hanson still moving back. He had the night off too.

What looked like Brandon being alone in 7th spot has turned into Brandon almost out of a playoff spot. PA and Red Deer are really pushing for that last spot. PA knocked off Calgary tonight and Red Deer did us a huge favour. Tomorrow night, Brandon and PA play and I suspect PA will take that game. If so, they will leap frog Brandon into the last spot with a game in hand. Red Deer and PA have battled so hard they have battled themselves BOTH into the playoffs.

chopper
03-08-2014, 09:09 AM
They will likely have a patchwork defence tonight. Reagan is 6'3" and about 200 lbs so yes if we have to, let's use him. Hanson can eat up minutes on the back end as well. I think we have to worry more about defence than offence right now. If we play it tight with five guys back and stay out of the box, we have a shot at a point.

RWAH
03-08-2014, 10:05 AM
To clarify the points we need three points but if they are all loser points and SC wins their last 4 we will be tied and both with 38 wins. Then the tie breaker is record against each other so SC gets 2nd. We need 3 points with a win or 4 loser points.

chopper
03-08-2014, 11:06 AM
Yup one win and one loser point is what we need. Considering the Pats are a .600 team over the season I'm thinking we should be able to split our last four games. Nothing is given but we do have two home games coming up this week. We have to view it that it's in our hands and we won't be concerned about SC.

We're a little wounded now but that can sometimes make a team very dangerous to play against. We have to take the junk yard dog mentality into the game tonight. Who knows maybe we could have this this won by the time the nights's over.

patsdude114
03-08-2014, 12:20 PM
The lack of fire power for KOO could play in our favour only RD has scored less then them for eastern conference playoff teams. Its time for Stephenson's line to finally come out ontop between star lines, something they haven't been able to do for the last 2 weeks or so. KOO doesn't give you lots as their a very good defensive team, depth wise I do believe we have more offensive punch through our lineup, its time for us to prove it.

I do believe if we play our style of game for 60 minutes we can beat anyone in the league as we have proved it in the past. Time to prove it again & put ourselves in a great position to clinch 1st in the division. This pats fan will be listening on the radio tonight while hauling all the damn white stuff

RWAH
03-08-2014, 01:02 PM
The last weekly report shows Koot with 5 players injured or ill, yet last night beat MH and scored 5 goals. Need a 60 min high tempo game tonight. a rapid and relentless for check, pressure their D. And stay out of the penalty box. MacAuley need to find his November form.

chopper
03-08-2014, 11:41 PM
This was a tough game in many respects. The defence played pretty well and didn't give up an even strength goal. MacAuley was good. So why did we lose?

After two periods we had only 9 shots on goal. You can't win anything with that. We picked it up in the third but too little too late. Watched the game on webcast and we played two periods on the perimeter. As soon as we started driving the net and shooting we started to carry the play. Two needless penalties cost us two goals, and we went 0-6 on our PP. Very clearly the forwards didn't help us tonight. A real lost opportunity. Don't much like our very defendable PP. Time to put Zagraggen in front of the net and go old school.

I guess we'll see what this week brings.

RWAH
03-09-2014, 06:24 PM
Chopper: Agree with all of your post. The Pats can play with any team in the conference if they play 60 min. and stay in their structures. They just go through the motions at times not competing.
On another note . When was the last time, with three game remaining, there was so many possibilities for playoff positions. Pats and Swift 2nd, 5th or 6th: Koot 4th or 5th; Red Deer, Brandon and PA 7th, 8th or golf. Hope for a win this week.

chopper
03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
LOL...this will prove to be an interesting week and it keeps the interest up in the league all over. There will be a couple hungry teams coming here in Brandon and PA so I hope we're a bit more determined than Saturday night. I would sure like to see us polish this thing off with a 40 win season.

We are clearly not in the elite status of some teams in this league, but winning a pennant would mean a great deal and be a building block. The experience and winning culture would be something the young guys could use going forward. After being in the crapper for about six years the Portland Winter Hawks started by making the playoffs and continually built on that. Look at where they are today. Just read where the Kootenay Ice have made the playoffs for 16 consecutive seasons. They have a Memorial Cup, League, conference and division titles along they way. They moved from Edmonton a few years after Parker bought this franchise here. When you compare their success to ours it's a real indictment of the Parker regime. Sadly they are on the brink of losing their franchise.

At 2nd or 7th I have felt all along we could possibly win one round. Finishing 5th or 6th wouldn't be ideal. In any given game we can beat anyone, however that's why they play best of seven. Winning four of seven from any of the top four in the Central Conference would be a huge task. The Pats best avenue for any playoff success is to finish 2nd seed.

I am acutely aware of our limitations but we have punched our ticket to the dance. We will find out shortly who is on our dance card.

Shooter
03-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Special teams will be the difference in playoffs and those teams that have elite coaches that put in the time and energy to make sure the puck is managed with a potent POWER PLAY! Teams are rewarded and will move on series by series with a great PP! Team discipline is a must and is something that is controllable and has to be enhanced.

Last but not least a goaltending can steal games or series and teams with game breaking goaltenders have a chance to win any night in the WHL, which is the scary part of hockey at all levels!

What Pats players are banged up right now?

We need boys healed up to be ready for battle game 1 of playoffs and if healthy lets put money on the Pats!

Anyone know the Power Play-Penalty Kill Rankings for our conference?

Pats can win their conference if all parts of the machine are greased and working!

patsdude114
03-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Pats can win their conference if all parts of the machine are greased and working!

I don't think anyone has ever thought this, we are so far from saying those words it isn't even funny. Getting into the 2nd round would be a huge step in the right direction for our franchise, our biggest problem is not putting in 60minute efforts we have played 69 games and we still cant put a full game in that will be our Achilles heel come playoff time.

chopper
03-10-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't think anyone has ever thought this, we are so far from saying those words it isn't even funny. Getting into the 2nd round would be a huge step in the right direction for our franchise, our biggest problem is not putting in 60minute efforts we have played 69 games and we still cant put a full game in that will be our Achilles heel come playoff time.

That pretty much tells the story. You notice elite teams in this League playing as hard in the last minute as the first. At times we look like we're making headway but then regress. That will be our downfall along with poor special teams. When we get 19 shots in the 3rd period and really carry the play it shows capability, however a total of 9 shots in the previous two shows the opposite. Your right about what were really capable of. This team can be exciting and frustrating at the same time. The inconsistency shows we haven't arrived at elite status yet.

A sour note is that Phil the Thrill is reporting that that Burroughs and Williams sat out practice today with head injuries. If it's concussion that's real bad because there is a seven day protocol I believe. Andrews had said on the broadcast that Williams looked like a whiplash. Cameron said that Burroughs got the wind knocked out of him and both were sat for precautionary reasons. I for one hope on the positive side but with these two gone, it puts our aspirations in deep jeopardy.

patsdude114
03-10-2014, 06:42 PM
As long as Williams & Burroughs are ready for Game 1 in playoffs I can live with them being out all week. Guys like Schacher, Harrison & Mumby just have to step up & prove that they belong in the defensive picture for next season. There are games where Schacher looks like he can dominate with his size & strength & then games where it just seems whatever he does doesn't work.

Williams & Burroughs are big loses to our blueline they log so many minutes pretty much 90% of the time 1 of these guys are on the ice. I know there is a lot of talk/dislike towards Williams on this board from a select few, I've always stood behind him except for maybe 2 or 3 games where he was just flat out horrid. Williams does a lot of small things right, he's 1 of those players in his minor league years who got by on his talent alone & never really had to learn the defensive side of the game. You can fault minor league parent coaching for that he is still learning each & every day & that won't change. Yes he makes mistakes out there but he does way more good things with or without the puck then he does bad things.

I personally believe Williams is ahead of Burroughs in development WITH the puck where Burroughs is better without the puck. Which is a fully based on Burroughs learned a lot about the defensive game as a 16yr old playing as much as Reagan is this year. Williams was playing AAA with the Pat C's at 16 where his main development there was still offense first. If there had been room on our team that year for both Williams & Burroughs I think we would be in a much better situation defensively then we currently are.

chopper
03-10-2014, 10:05 PM
I agree with some aspects particularly how valuable both those guys are to our current roster. Additionally whether we end up 2nd, 5th or 6th doesn't really matter. You still have to win in the playoffs. Having them healthy for the first round is the most important issue.

A quality d-man has to be two things; a people mover and a puck mover. You can be both if your a big body, but you can rarely be both if your a smaller body. That's why most of the better d-men in the NHL are both big and mobile. Both Williams and Burroughs are key cogs in our defence, however I don't rate our defence in the top 10 of the WHL. The D is serviceable but not great.

Smaller d-men seem to get hurt more often than the bigger guys. Last year both Williams and Burroughs spent time on the injury list. This year Burroughs has been out a couple of times and now Williams again. The season is long and the smaller guys just seem to break down more as the season progresses. When I look at the top three teams (points) in each conference There are only two teams of those six who use one guy under 6'. Stadel and Hicketts and mainly on the PP. Nobody in the top three of the Eastern Conference use anyone under 6'. None of those six teams uses two guys under 6'.

Of the top 20 scoring d-men in the League only 2 are less than 6'. The only one in the top 10 is Honka thanks to his quick start. Most of the guys are 6'1" to 6'3" who are at or near the top. Neither of our two offensive guys even makes top 20. When you look at how championship calibre teams build their defence, the Pats might be wise to copy their foot print.

Bighat
03-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Our recent d draft picks are 6' or taller. I've been against Williams all year and I admit he's had a good second have but he still isn't strong enough, he gets beat to the net way too much.

patsdude114
03-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Our defense has always been small as Parker never quite got it, thankfully Lang is in the process of changing things but it doesn't happen over night. Both Burroughs & Williams would be on other teams top 4 but would be more so #3 or #4 guys. Outside of Schacher really have no true BIG Dman, Reagan will mature into a big strong mobile Dman but he is still a solid year away from making a true impact.

More so the real problem with today's game is there is just no respect on the ice anymore for anyone. Look at our key injuries this year 3 hits of resulted in injuries & suspensions, Williams just recently was a dirty hit as well I'm not sure if Derko got anything for it as I haven't had much time to look as I keep forgetting too. Part of this problem can be directed at having no tough guy, I mean not many guys are afraid to have to fight Stevenson. Yes pound for pound he is 1 of the better fighters in the league but he doesn't scare anyone if they have to fight him. You look back at when MJ got Cooke he's a big kid, can skate, hit, fight sure he's not a great 'hockey player' but he could of had a key role on a team like ours playing 4th line minutes & still capable of moving up a line.

chopper
03-11-2014, 10:31 AM
I recently posted about the lack of respect some of these players have for the other guy. A three or four game suspension means little if your guy is out ten games. I haven't seen a suspension handed out all year that means anything in the way of deterrent.

I agree that the Pats need to find a couple guys like Cooke come next season. Pound for pound Stevenson @ 6' 185 lbs is as tough as they come, however he is not a heavyweight. Moroz @ 6'3" 215 lbs won a decision over him the last time they were in Edmonton. Stevenson then missed two games with an injured shoulder. He is one of the few who has done a job for the Pats but they need to find replacements for next season. They could very well have quite a few younger, bigger guys in the lineup but need someone to ride shotgun over them for a year. After Stevenson perhaps Christopher but again he is even smaller. Nobody on our defence appears to be a genuine tough guy.

IMO it's tough to figure where Burroughs and Williams would fit on the various teams depth charts. We have to remember these guys are big pieces on a mediocre defence. Brown was a big star on MJ's defence but he is just a piece on a quality defence in Victoria. A lot of the elite teams simply don't utilize undersized d-men. There is every likelihood they wouldn't even be on those teams. I think the Pats are heading towards a bigger defence and in fact a bigger team overall. Having two big centre like Luke Smith and Colten Kroeker is very encouraging. A lot of the d-men they have recently drafted were already at 6' on draft day. Many of these guys are puck movers. I think Lang and the new scouting director really get it.