PDA

View Full Version : Next year

BigCat20
03-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Think we can pretty much say this yr is wrapped up! So thinking of changes for next year. Here's my thought:

1) coaching & gm change - new ownership group will prob make some changes even though contracts of Lorne, Dave & Curtis will not expire this year. Have no idea who they would be looking at to even fill theses.

2) Goaltending - definitely need to find a young goalie to come in next year, most likely by trade. Ones on protected list are not whl calibre. So Moodie being most likely to be moved.

3) Defense - think we have some good young d moving next yr. Ottenbreit(Siemens like) & Reid(Elliot like) should be locks. With Nickel, Kirichenko & Thomson back & Nogier returns from shoulder injury, is a decent start. I think with the Blades having a euro pick between 7-9 overall, it would be best used & release Nemechek. He hasn't progressed much, been healthy scratched a bunch & continually makes the same mistakes.

4) Forward - looks like only one loss up from with Sanvido graduating. Chances of a few more moves. Think Smyth, Mappin, Sloboshan, Braid & Odelein will get long looks.

Any thoughts........?

franchise
03-13-2014, 12:44 AM
I have now heard from more than three sources (all of whom I would describe as reliable and none of whom is currently under psychiatric care or chemical maintenance) that Colin Priestner - flappy bird playing, folk singing, blue sock wearing, visionary, managing partner, ten percent owner, and all around goof ball is seriously considering taking on the role of GM. Were this not so idiotic it would be funny. Sad thing is it is a very real possibility.

Trav
03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
God help us if that's what happens.

I'll also say I won't be surrpised if there's a new coaching staff behind the bench next season, just a hunch.

curwie
03-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Honestly I can't believe they let Curtis Lescyshen walk. What the hell were they thinking? I mean the guy only has 20 years nhl experience? Honestly, I believe this group is destined to fail and fail bad. Let the hockey guys make hockey decisions and these guys can go sell cars, or play tennis, or do something they are good at. Almost makes me wanna puke. If they axe Dave Struch after one year then it shows they weren't prepared to give him a fair shake.

JMoney1988
03-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Well another season is in the books and we finished 16-51-2-3, I didn't go to many games due to school, however tonight's game was the best one so far, 8872 fans rocked out...., even though we lost 6-4, we outplayed the Raiders by far. The only knock on this game tonight was the work of Kirk and Vetter, missing calls on both teams, don't know what to call, especially late in the game, Graham gets tripped, no call, Raiders come back and score............

Trav
03-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Honestly I can't believe they let Curtis Lescyshen walk. What the hell were they thinking? I mean the guy only has 20 years nhl experience? Honestly, I believe this group is destined to fail and fail bad. Let the hockey guys make hockey decisions and these guys can go sell cars, or play tennis, or do something they are good at. Almost makes me wanna puke. If they axe Dave Struch after one year then it shows they weren't prepared to give him a fair shake.

This is what happens when there's new ownership. New owners come in and put in their own people, whether it's right or wrong, fair or not, changes happen. We've seen it before with other teams, we'll likely see it with the Blades and once new owners take over PG we'll see it there to.

I really don't have a big problem with changes, providing the changes benefit the team obviously.

I'm not a big fan of the new ownership but they do have loads of money so if they spend money on the team and find ways to get top end players to come here like Portland does and they win WHL championships, it'll be hard for anyone to criticize them then.

Dwight Schrute
03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Kinda ridiculous to hold the whole crowd hostage and force them to stay for the player awards . By not announcing 50/50 or other prizes(must be in attendance to win)
I wasn't the only one grumbling

As for the game the blades outplayed pa and should have won

Blade11
03-16-2014, 10:21 AM
I don't think we need to start firing coaches just yet. That's not the problem. The problem was that we lost most of our players playing last season, so these new players aren't used to playing with each other. I think we need one more season to see how we play before firing anyone.

sbtatter
03-16-2014, 10:30 AM
We're hoping Saskatoon win the draft lottery and Lorne M gives Bdn 1 more gift from the Bdn/Blades trading!

patsdude114
03-16-2014, 09:12 PM
I have now heard from more than three sources (all of whom I would describe as reliable and none of whom is currently under psychiatric care or chemical maintenance) that Colin Priestner - flappy bird playing, folk singing, blue sock wearing, visionary, managing partner, ten percent owner, and all around goof ball is seriously considering taking on the role of GM. Were this not so idiotic it would be funny. Sad thing is it is a very real possibility.

This sounds like the Parker's all over again & lord help you if that's the case, get ready for 15+ yrs of terrible franchise running. The Priestner's sound a lot like the Parker's they both have tons of money and both want their sons in high positions within a hockey franchise. The only thing the Parker's were good at was marketing the Pats and increased our season ticket holders drastically other then that nothing good came from them

curwie
03-16-2014, 09:31 PM
This is what happens when there's new ownership. New owners come in and put in their own people, whether it's right or wrong, fair or not, changes happen. We've seen it before with other teams, we'll likely see it with the Blades and once new owners take over PG we'll see it there to.

I really don't have a big problem with changes, providing the changes benefit the team obviously.

I'm not a big fan of the new ownership but they do have loads of money so if they spend money on the team and find ways to get top end players to come here like Portland does and they win WHL championships, it'll be hard for anyone to criticize them then.

Trav, I don't think we will see Portland hiring a guy like Dean Clark in the near future. :) Also the money the Priestners have doesn't mean **** when it comes to recruiting players.

Trav
03-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Trav, I don't think we will see Portland hiring a guy like Dean Clark in the near future. :) Also the money the Priestners have doesn't mean **** when it comes to recruiting players.

You know with the exception of PG and Kamloops, Dean Clark doesn't seem to be that bad of a coach. When he coached in PG, can u really blame him for the the team's failures? No cuz that team has been ****ty for years and years lol.

Money spent on the team plays a role in drafting players. With the amount of money they have, Molleken should be able to scout imports as well as American players. I heard awhile back that Brodsky didn't put a whole lot of money towards scouting. Dunno if that changed in the last while but hopefully it did.

Madmax
03-16-2014, 11:23 PM
This sounds like the Parker's all over again & lord help you if that's the case, get ready for 15+ yrs of terrible franchise running. The Priestner's sound a lot like the Parker's they both have tons of money and both want their sons in high positions within a hockey franchise. The only thing the Parker's were good at was marketing the Pats and increased our season ticket holders drastically other then that nothing good came from them

Way to many Hobby owners coming into the league now. If this turns into a situation like the Parkers did to the Pats the Credit Union Center will be empty.

curwie
03-18-2014, 04:37 PM
You know with the exception of PG and Kamloops, Dean Clark doesn't seem to be that bad of a coach. When he coached in PG, can u really blame him for the the team's failures? No cuz that team has been ****ty for years and years lol.

Money spent on the team plays a role in drafting players. With the amount of money they have, Molleken should be able to scout imports as well as American players. I heard awhile back that Brodsky didn't put a whole lot of money towards scouting. Dunno if that changed in the last while but hopefully it did.

I just wonder why he's had to make a living selling cars lately if he's such a good coach?

Regarding scouting. We added a US scout. Other than that, unless I'm mistaken, the scouting staff is the same staff Molleken had in place for years.

Trav
03-18-2014, 04:59 PM
I just wonder why he's had to make a living selling cars lately if he's such a good coach?

Regarding scouting. We added a US scout. Other than that, unless I'm mistaken, the scouting staff is the same staff Molleken had in place for years.

I wasn't saying he was a great coach, jus saying I didn't think he was that bad of a coach. If Struch does get the axe, he wouldn't be my first candidate to replace him, I'd rather hire someone whose been now...someone like Steve Hamilton from the Oil Kings.

Yes they hired a US scout and it sounds like they've hired at least one other scout...Dan Tencer in Edmonton, one of Colin Priestner's buddies. You'll see on Dan Tencer's twitter that he's a member of the Blades scouting staff.

My guess is, the Blades scouting staff may look different before next season starts.

curwie
03-18-2014, 09:50 PM
I wasn't saying he was a great coach, jus saying I didn't think he was that bad of a coach. If Struch does get the axe, he wouldn't be my first candidate to replace him, I'd rather hire someone whose been now...someone like Steve Hamilton from the Oil Kings.

Yes they hired a US scout and it sounds like they've hired at least one other scout...Dan Tencer in Edmonton, one of Colin Priestner's buddies. You'll see on Dan Tencer's twitter that he's a member of the Blades scouting staff.

My guess is, the Blades scouting staff may look different before next season starts.

It will be interesting. I didn't know about Dan Tencer. Thanks for that.

Heard tonight from a acquaintance of the Sloboshan family that Wyatt will probably sign on for next season. That would be huge if true.

wango tango
03-18-2014, 09:51 PM
i think there will be a lot different about this team next season. i'm guessing the entire coaching staff, management, and a lot of the scouts will be gone. ownership now has a chance to put their stamp on the team, we'll see if that is good or bad.

brandon can switch first round picks with saskatoon, they are absolutely going to do that, there's a 19.1% chance they could end up with the #1 overall pick courtesy of that deal.

the blades has also traded a 2014 1st round pick, which must be the one they swap with brandon, to vancouver, so they don't have a first round pick this year at all in the end, despite being the 3rd worst team in the league.

they also traded their 2015 1st rounder to spokane. if the blades are as bad again next year as they were this year, that could be another lottery pick. maybe #1 overall.

missing these picks is going to set the team back for a long time. i don't blame the priestners for wanting to do things differently. because if needing to add so many pieces is necessary, you failed to put together the kind of team to win a memorial cup in the first place. it is time to do things differently. hopefully equals more playoff success than fans have 'enjoyed' around here for what 20 years or more?

curwie
03-18-2014, 09:59 PM
i think there will be a lot different about this team next season. i'm guessing the entire coaching staff, management, and a lot of the scouts will be gone. ownership now has a chance to put their stamp on the team, we'll see if that is good or bad.

brandon can switch first round picks with saskatoon, they are absolutely going to do that, there's a 19.1% chance they could end up with the #1 overall pick courtesy of that deal.

the blades has also traded a 2014 1st round pick, which must be the one they swap with brandon, to vancouver, so they don't have a first round pick this year at all in the end, despite being the 3rd worst team in the league.

they also traded their 2015 1st rounder to spokane. if the blades are as bad again next year as they were this year, that could be another lottery pick. maybe #1 overall.

missing these picks is going to set the team back for a long time. i don't blame the priestners for wanting to do things differently. because if needing to add so many pieces is necessary, you failed to put together the kind of team to win a memorial cup in the first place. it is time to do things differently. hopefully equals more playoff success than fans have 'enjoyed' around here for what 20 years or more?

Some good points here.

However, Lets not forget that they got a great return this year on many players they traded for last year. This team is in pretty decent shape in regards to the next 2 drafts. No way we finish dead last next year. My guess is we have about 25 wins next year. The year after next, we will be contending for the east division and 3rd or 4th in the conference.

Honest question wango, would you like Colin Priestner as the gm?:o

BigCat20
03-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Don't understand why everyone keeps bringing up the Walker trade. Yes , Brandon gets to swap picks.......but even if that wasn't included in the deal, the Giants would get that pick in the Burns deal. So it really only hurt Van!

Interesting to read in the paper that Lorne still has 2 yrs left on his deal. Wonder if Priestner's are interested in paying him 300,000 +/yr to sit at home! Funny that Mike says they will have exit meeting with Dave on Friday & have decision then. It a done deal, Curtis already said he's coaching with the Blazers next yr. Dave & Jerome done too! Sad.......seeing Jerome has been with the Blades for what, over 20 yrs & Dave over 12(playing, coaching).

I can't believe Mike would even allow Colin to take gm role. Maybe after being in the business for 10 yrs. Needs to gain respect of other owners, gms in the league first. Seems to work for the Rockets.......but Hamilton played in the league & has the best #2 in Frey.

Trav
03-19-2014, 12:22 PM
It'd b great if Wyatt Slobeshan signs. Hearing that he was at the fitness testing the other day is a positive. The guy is considered one of the top 97s that wasn't in the league last yr.

curwie
03-19-2014, 04:40 PM
Don't understand why everyone keeps bringing up the Walker trade. Yes , Brandon gets to swap picks.......but even if that wasn't included in the deal, the Giants would get that pick in the Burns deal. So it really only hurt Van!

Interesting to read in the paper that Lorne still has 2 yrs left on his deal. Wonder if Priestner's are interested in paying him 300,000 +/yr to sit at home! Funny that Mike says they will have exit meeting with Dave on Friday & have decision then. It a done deal, Curtis already said he's coaching with the Blazers next yr. Dave & Jerome done too! Sad.......seeing Jerome has been with the Blades for what, over 20 yrs & Dave over 12(playing, coaching).

I can't believe Mike would even allow Colin to take gm role. Maybe after being in the business for 10 yrs. Needs to gain respect of other owners, gms in the league first. Seems to work for the Rockets.......but Hamilton played in the league & has the best #2 in Frey.

Great post. Especially the part about Colin taking the time to learn the ropes first. That takes years to do, not one year.

Rockets1231
03-19-2014, 04:40 PM
(Best Prof. Farnsworth impression) Good news everyone!
The Blades won the lottery so you have the first overall pick. Now someone told me that the Blades traded their first round pick this year already, can anyone confirm that?

Anyways, someone mentioned a comparison to the Rockets with Hamilton being owner and GM. I think everyone should remember that that success did not come overnight. There were a lot of average years immediately after moving from Tacoma before Kelowna became a powerhouse team in the early to mid 2000s. Now granted the Rockets have only missed the playoffs once since moving to Kelowna, but to build success takes time, no matter who's in charge. Living in Saskatoon right now I hear a lot of Blades fans saying how they did to do this or that to become successful, like its only one little thing, but the fact is the Blades missed their shot over the past 5 years when they were at the top of the league. Now if they want to clean house, fans can't expect a new coach or GM to instantly move the Blades from the 3rd worst record in the league to a team which will compete with the Oil Kings and Hitmen for the conference next year. It took Kelowna nearly 10 years to become a serious contender for the title and during that time there were a lot of bumps and bruises for Bruce. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, no matter who the Blades choose as the next GM, and especially if it's a rookie, give the guy at least 4 or 5 years to figure things out.

JMoney1988
03-23-2014, 08:36 AM
(Best Prof. Farnsworth impression) Good news everyone!
The Blades won the lottery so you have the first overall pick. Now someone told me that the Blades traded their first round pick this year already, can anyone confirm that?

Anyways, someone mentioned a comparison to the Rockets with Hamilton being owner and GM. I think everyone should remember that that success did not come overnight. There were a lot of average years immediately after moving from Tacoma before Kelowna became a powerhouse team in the early to mid 2000s. Now granted the Rockets have only missed the playoffs once since moving to Kelowna, but to build success takes time, no matter who's in charge. Living in Saskatoon right now I hear a lot of Blades fans saying how they did to do this or that to become successful, like its only one little thing, but the fact is the Blades missed their shot over the past 5 years when they were at the top of the league. Now if they want to clean house, fans can't expect a new coach or GM to instantly move the Blades from the 3rd worst record in the league to a team which will compete with the Oil Kings and Hitmen for the conference next year. It took Kelowna nearly 10 years to become a serious contender for the title and during that time there were a lot of bumps and bruises for Bruce. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, no matter who the Blades choose as the next GM, and especially if it's a rookie, give the guy at least 4 or 5 years to figure things out.
Yes, Brandon gets the first pick.