PDA

View Full Version : Round 1, Pats and Brandon

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-17-2014, 10:46 AM
What do you guys think are the keys are to win this series?

If I were to start, Id say applying pressure on their defence and peppering the young goalie. Pulock and Roy are going to log most of the minutes and they cant have any easy shifts. Roy in particular I can see shying away if he gets hit everytime he touches the puck.

Though at the same time we have to stay out of the box. Although we havnt been good at that, esp against Brandon, I can trust Cameron will have done some detail work on containing the Brandon powerplay when its needed.

Getting our defence and Wapple back is a good first sign before things get going. Stevenson too. It would be tremendous if Steel can become a sort of Point from MJ for us in this series while Stephenson and Klimchuk are being watched.

witness
03-17-2014, 11:08 AM
To me this is going to be the series to watch in the first round. One teams weakness seems to be the other teams strength.

1. Pats subpar PK against the Wheat King's good PP
2. Wheat Kings subpar 5 on 5 play against the Pats good 5 on 5.

I think the keys for Regina to win are:
- the play of MacAuley (I think that Wapple is at least another 7 - 10 days away)
- the play of the black and blue brothers (3rd line). D'Amico, Christoffer and Carter have to do what they do. Bang. Make things hard on the Brandon D. If they can outplay the Brandon 3rd line, then I think the Pats will win.
- the Pats PK has to be better.

Fight Guy
03-17-2014, 12:04 PM
All I have to say is that if the Pats play THEIR 60min game with some bodies back, I dont think Brandon has much chance. I say that because if the Pats are playing their game, most teams have loads of trouble even getting possesion. Thats how the Pats are able to play the elite teams the way they have. If they can stay out of the box too, that would be super.

Thing about Steel so far, is that he has gotten limited time playing with the top players, which is where he will find success at his age and with his set of skills. Being out there with Wagner and Kammerer all the time, you're not going to do a whole lot. If he could get some time with better players or on the PP, im pretty sure he would become more of a factor. He not getting much confidence playing with inexperienced players who havent done too much this season. Wagner has improved butt loads, but still not the same.

patsdude114
03-17-2014, 12:16 PM
The Pats defense is going to have to keep Peter Quennville in tact, he has had success against us all year long especially this final weekend. A lot can be said about a great PP with Brandon has, as stated above we need to stay out of the box something that has been a problem all year long although those total number of penalty minutes are abit inflated due to the Pats having 75+ fighting majors (I will get the exact numbers when I get back on my laptop instead of on my phone).

I have some confidence in MacAuley if he has to play a few games in this series, let's be fair to him here this weekend our defense was patched together infront of him. He did play a very solid game on Friday night I can't blame 1 of those goals on MacAuley he has for the most part elimitated that 1 or 2 bad goal a game which could of easily resulted in us having at least 5 more wins this year if not a few more.

Playoffs is the time we see which players are able to up their game & which guys are just castoffs. I really hope Wagner gets a fair shot I truly feel he can be a difference maker in just the way he plays & competes. He loves to skate hard & hit everything he could make it real tough on some of the Brandon defensemen. We are a bigger team then Brandon is upfront which may benefit our defense, Brandon has the edge with bigger defensemen though but no one who is truly tough to play against. Roy, Pulock & Pilon are all pretty soft type defensemen, imo Pulock has tons of skill but needs to get abit meaner to really be effective at the next level.

Last but not least Christoffer could be a very key player in either the Pats success or non success. He needs to just play hard & not hurt the team with some bad penalties that he has been taking the last couple of weeks. He plays the junk yard dog style & can get under a players skin easily, he reminds me a lot of Tanner Eberle in MJ both are known to be effective players but also known to hurt their team as well with bad/needless penalties.

patsdude114
03-17-2014, 01:16 PM
The PK numbers here... 1st off I will say I know in mid feb we were around the 6th for the most times short handed but not anymore lol

LETH 341
REG 333
SEA 333
EDM 333
POR 332
SPO 330

No one talks about EDM POR or SPO taking so many penalties mainly due to them being able to kill them off. Also Brandon isn't a good PK team either only 1.6% difference from us to them were 3rd last they are 5th last.

We finished 2nd in most penalty minutes in the league as well but in those minutes are exactly 75 fighting majors 4th most in the WHL behind only LETH SEA MJ

If we were half decent at killing penalties this wouldn't be a big concern the thing is I think we look for the offensive chance too much when short handed which hampers our ability to actually kill off a penalty. We finished tied for 1st with most short handed goals with 17 along with Portland.

sbtatter
03-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Posted this on the Bdn site, if you're interested at all, it would be interesting to see the same for your line combos and def pairings

Just a few average numbers per line for the team if line combos stay the same, goals, +/-, PIM per line per game

McGauley/Nejezchleb/P Quenneville 1.2gpg -0.5 1.8pim/g
Gabrielle/ J Quenneville/ Hawryluk 1.1 gpg +0.3 3.2pim/g
Bukarts/Robinson/Meullier 0.7gpg -/+0 1.4pim/g
Coulter/Lisoway/Lindgren 0.4gpg -0.4 0.9pim/g
Pulock/Pilon 0.5gpg -0.2 0.7pim/g
Roy/Hunter 0.2gpg -0.1 1.9pim/g
Waltz/Green 0gpg -0.1 1.7pim/g

RWAH
03-17-2014, 02:50 PM
More ststs for what they are worth
Looked at both teams record agains the playoff teams only but included both Red Deer and PA. Brandon 15 wins and 35 losses G/F 165 and G/A 210 Regina Pats 20 wins and 30 losses, G/F 149 and G/A 199

Those same stats from Christmas are Brandon 7 wins 18 losses G/F 77 and G/A 95 Regina 12 wins and 13 losses G/F 74 and G/A 94

It all will be water under the bridge by April 1st

RWAH
03-17-2014, 03:14 PM
Just so no one misses I just read on Phii's blog they want every one to wear red to both week end games.

sbtatter
03-17-2014, 04:58 PM
More ststs for what they are worth
Looked at both teams record agains the playoff teams only but included both Red Deer and PA. Brandon 15 wins and 35 losses G/F 165 and G/A 210 Regina Pats 20 wins and 30 losses, G/F 149 and G/A 199

Those same stats from Christmas are Brandon 7 wins 18 losses G/F 77 and G/A 95 Regina 12 wins and 13 losses G/F 74 and G/A 94

It all will be water under the bridge by April 1st

Bdn clearly did well against weak teams, went 8 and 0 vs the Warriors! Struggled with above 500 teams

Bighat
03-17-2014, 04:59 PM
Everyone will be back but wapple he is still a week away hopefully he'll be back late in the series. I have the pats winning in 6 games just a little deeper up front and we should have 6 solid dmen back.

patsdude114
03-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Bdn clearly did well against weak teams, went 8 and 0 vs the Warriors! Struggled with above 500 teams

Pats were 8-0 against MJ & SAS... were both in the same boat with doing well against the crap teams and struggled against above .500 teams

RWAH
03-18-2014, 08:25 AM
The teams are tied with 19 wins each against the bottom 5 teams. Brandon on a 34 win season minus 15 against the teams in the playoffs is 19. Regina on 39 wins and 20 against the play off teams equals 19

The interesting stats are the second half numbers

Shooter
03-18-2014, 03:25 PM
Any Updates?

patsdude114
03-18-2014, 04:29 PM
Any Updates?

Here was some line combos posted on page 1 for the WKs by sbtatter

McGauley/Nejezchleb/P Quenneville
Gabrielle/ J Quenneville/ Hawryluk
Bukarts/Robinson/Meullier
Coulter/Lisoway/Lindgren
Pulock/Pilon
Roy/Hunter
Waltz/Green

As for Pats lineups this is the best I can do since our coaching staff tends to make tweaks to each line at times it seems.....this is what id like to see anyways

Stephenson/Hunt/Stevenson
Leier/Klimchuk/McVeigh
Christoffer/Hansen/D'Amico
Gay/Wagner/Steel or Brooks

*would love to see the odd shift Wagner replace Hansen

Zgraggen/Burroughs
Sinitsyn/Williams
Schacher/Harrison or Reagan

extras
Mumby
Zimmer
Krammerer

sbtatter
03-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Yeah, thats the Bdn line combos I'm guessing at, unless Nolan Patrick is kept around. Coulter likely keeps his spot ahead of Kitt then Schmyr. But I haven't been down to the rink to see the combo's they have practicing together

patsdude114
03-18-2014, 04:57 PM
just alittle info for us WHL fans if your interested in watching the Raiders vs Rebels tonight for the tie-breaker game. The promotional code is whlplayoffs

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-to-webcast-tie-breaker-game-for-free

chopper
03-19-2014, 02:03 PM
I see that Saskatoon got first pick in the draft but that will be forwarded to Brandon. It was part of an earlier deal which had them exchanging draft picks if Saskatoon's was higher this year. McCrimmon has to be happy with that development. Apparently it's only the first time Brandon has ever had the 1st overall pick in the bantam draft. Congrats to them. Maybe that shows the success they've had.

I believe the Pats will pick 13 in each round. I'm sure they will pick but they may slide down a little if the right deal is there.

The Pats will be in the middle and there should still be some great choices, if they are smart.

In 2010 Alex Forsberg went #1 while Comrie went #13 and Sam Reinhart went #15

In 2011 Point went #14 and Bleakly #21. In 2012 Nick Merkley went #9, so just never know.

In 2011 we went for numbers. We gave up our 1st round to MJ for two second rounders (Schoiler and Ortynsky) Had we selected in the 1st round we had access to Blake Penner, Connor Bleakley, or Jordan Papirny. Things that make you go uuuhhhmmm! I believe that was the last year of the Ripplinger Reign!
IMO all teams make mistakes but the best teams make the fewest.

patsdude114
03-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Sounds like the Regina Pats are going to be getting a league fine for having our practices closed off not only to the general public (which is allowed) but also blocked all access from media to watch the practice which is against league rules as media I guess is always allowed access no questions asked.

My guess is will be about a $500 fine nothing major about 25 tickets worth in sales.

chopper
03-19-2014, 02:23 PM
Sounds like the Regina Pats are going to be getting a league fine for having our practices closed off not only to the general public (which is allowed) but also blocked all access from media to watch the practice which is against league rules as media I guess is always allowed access no questions asked.

My guess is will be about a $500 fine nothing major about 25 tickets worth in sales.

Yup...some panty waist reporter got his nose out of joint. IMO if they have to allow them in, they should get to designate where they can sit....how about designating the top row of the East end???....it may be manditory to let them into practice but the team and Exhibition Association should be able to assign seating as they deem appropriate:D

patsdude114
03-19-2014, 03:12 PM
It was prob Vanstone that guy just looks like a whiney little b.... Ill stop there lol anyways doesn't really effect anything, although I do enjoy going down & watching them practice from time to time get to see a different side of the game that the avg hockey fan doesn't notice or tend to care about. You get to see a lot clearer on what they are really trying to do & it looks great when you see it drawn up in practice & then you actually see it on the ice.

Anyways isn't it saturday yet? Like damn it already its been way to long since we have seen playoff hockey again I'm getting impatient lol

sbtatter
03-19-2014, 03:18 PM
It was prob Vanstone that guy just looks like a whiney little b.... Ill stop there lol anyways doesn't really effect anything, although I do enjoy going down & watching them practice from time to time get to see a different side of the game that the avg hockey fan doesn't notice or tend to care about. You get to see a lot clearer on what they are really trying to do & it looks great when you see it drawn up in practice & then you actually see it on the ice.

Anyways isn't it saturday yet? Like damn it already its been way to long since we have seen playoff hockey again I'm getting impatient lol

Don't forget to wear red!
Sounds like there will be a fan bus coming from Brandon, Pats are the closest palyoff opponents Bdn can get, beats going to Alberta!

patsdude114
03-19-2014, 03:39 PM
Wearing red should be easy for me since I wear red for a jacket anyways but will most likely drag out the jersey for playoffs, been debating about maybe getting the new red jersey as well.

Also curious what is the WK's charging for your fan bus?

chopper
03-19-2014, 03:46 PM
It should be fun for fans from both sides. The weather is getting nice. Playoffs are in the breeze and there will be some fine hockey. My only concern is how ready the walking wounded will be. Nobody is saying anything but I'm still hoping for the best.

patsdude114
03-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Well the weather is getting colder for the weekend -11 for friday & saturday not including windchill.

As for the walking wounded as long as we get Williams & Burroughs back we should be fine, as important as Stevenson is we still have a very strong forward group that should be able to manage til he can play.

chopper
03-19-2014, 05:21 PM
I think everyone is wanting to get this show going. Every extra day sounds like "healing" to me. The good thing is that with every passing day all of the guys are getting healthier and ready to come back. I think they will all start coming back as the series goes along. Having extra d-men back will get Hanson back onto that #3 line which has been so good. If Stevenson can play all of the forward lines will be back in tact. Lets hope that's how it goes.

Trevor
03-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Wearing red should be easy for me since I wear red for a jacket anyways but will most likely drag out the jersey for playoffs, been debating about maybe getting the new red jersey as well.

Also curious what is the WK's charging for your fan bus?

I seem to recall hearing it would be $50, probably dependent on a minimum number of seats sold. But don't hold it against me if I'm wrong.

patsdude114
03-20-2014, 03:40 PM
just a quick congrats to Chandler Stephenson on making the 2nd team All-Star :D

Not other Pats member was up for any awards, at first thought Cameron would be up for Coach of the Year but when you look at MH in Clouston he gets the nod forsure due to no Shinkaruk all year (minus 18 games) & really outside of Valk they don't really have any true WHL star type players. They basically only had 1 19yr old forward all year (again minus Shinkaruk for 18games) a very young team thru and thru so in my opinion very hard to argue with this choice all things considered....

Fight Guy
03-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Just read that if the series goes to a game 6, it will be held in Dauphin. Probably the best move for Wheat Kings fans. Short drive for them and their money stays in Manitoba.

Also...seems the Pats have won the Eastern WHL Marketing / Business Award... yaaay...lol

patsdude114
03-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Just read that if the series goes to a game 6, it will be held in Dauphin. Probably the best move for Wheat Kings fans. Short drive for them and their money stays in Manitoba.

Also...seems the Pats have won the Eastern WHL Marketing / Business Award... yaaay...lol

ya I can see why they would want to play it anywhere else but in MJ or Saskatoon.... it wouldn't feel like a home game for them at all, even if it means not a big gate return $$$ anyone know how big the Dauphin rink is?

Fight Guy
03-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Credit Union Place in Dauphin seats 1,763. Funny thing is, if the game is played, the Wheat Kings better hope the Dauphin hockey fans that come out don't wear their home team, the Royals, jerseys. Their colours are red, blue, and white and resemble what the Pats used to wear before the last logo/jersey refresh.

patsdude114
03-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Ouch that will be a major hit at the gate even if they sellout the building, I guess just hoping they all cheer for BRN is better then money I guess. Either way its a tough situation for the WKs but I guess they should be lucky that its only game 6 (if it gets there) & not both games 3 & 4

sbtatter
03-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Ouch that will be a major hit at the gate even if they sellout the building, I guess just hoping they all cheer for BRN is better then money I guess. Either way its a tough situation for the WKs but I guess they should be lucky that its only game 6 (if it gets there) & not both games 3 & 4

You're bang on with all your points!
If it gets to game 6 the crowd up there would be very pro Bdn with Hawryluk and Pulock playing their AAA hockey out of Dauphin. Should be able to fit 1700 sitting and 700 standing, so 2400, usually 1st round Bdn only draw around 3500 at home so it could be worse. If they went to MJ, it would be a smaller crowd and pro regina.

drummermajor
03-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Credit Union Place in Dauphin seats 1,763. Funny thing is, if the game is played, the Wheat Kings better hope the Dauphin hockey fans that come out don't wear their home team, the Royals, jerseys. Their colours are red, blue, and white and resemble what the Pats used to wear before the last logo/jersey refresh.

It's the Dauphin Kings, not Royals.

I don't think the colours will be an issue. Any time I've gone to CUP, I've never seen a lot of team jersey's being worn. In face most MJHL fans are pretty tame that way for team support.

http://www.tourismdauphin.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Credit-Union-Place-RBC-Cup.jpg

mjw22
03-21-2014, 01:51 AM
You're bang on with all your points!
If it gets to game 6 the crowd up there would be very pro Bdn with Hawryluk and Pulock playing their AAA hockey out of Dauphin. Should be able to fit 1700 sitting and 700 standing, so 2400, usually 1st round Bdn only draw around 3500 at home so it could be worse. If they went to MJ, it would be a smaller crowd and pro regina.
We hate regina more than Brandon

sbtatter
03-21-2014, 06:48 AM
We hate regina more than Brandon

Ha! But more Pats fans would get to MJ than WK fans.
I do love that new rink in MJ though, great facility

Fight Guy
03-21-2014, 07:40 AM
It's the Dauphin Kings, not Royals.

I don't think the colours will be an issue. Any time I've gone to CUP, I've never seen a lot of team jersey's being worn. In face most MJHL fans are pretty tame that way for team support.

http://www.tourismdauphin.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Credit-Union-Place-RBC-Cup.jpg
Yep, my bad. I had looked at the teams page probably 10 minutes before that post, too. Not sure how I screwed that up...lol.

And ya, the colours shouldn't be an issue at all. They'll be cheering for the home team if the game happens. I just thought it was funny that the teams jerseys and colours are similar to the Pats. I used to go to Weyburn Red Wings games and there were always a decent number of fans wearing team jerseys... but they were all game worn jerseys from auctions every season. But, when those people wear those to the games all the time, it adds up to a lot in the crowd. I'm guessing a majority of Junior 'A' teams don't sell team jerseys as merch.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-21-2014, 09:11 AM
so to recap...

is Wapple going to be available? How about Stevenson? things have been pretty quiet it seems about all of that.

Fight Guy
03-21-2014, 09:32 AM
They're trying to stay as quiet as possible. For this, they are being fined for locking out media to their practices. Cameron has said that's he's real happy about the line-up he'll have come the weekend, so maybe he slipped up a bit and knows more than they have released to the public. We'll find out tomorrow night! Finally almost game day!!

Bighat
03-21-2014, 10:38 AM
I heard they have 2 new players skating with the team. There olinemen from the thunder 6'4 and 6'5 respectively and just kidding. Let's get this thing started. In phoenix going to miss the first 2 games.

RWAH
03-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Way back in history, they tried that with Bob Polley (then playing with the Rams) but he couldn't skate good enough to catch the other players to fight. hahaha
ONE MORE SLEEP

sbtatter
03-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Way back in history, they tried that with Bob Polley (then playing with the Rams) but he couldn't skate good enough to catch the other players to fight. hahaha
ONE MORE SLEEP

WK's tried it a few years ago with Jordan Hale!! Unrelated topic, is it true that Sheets is working in the oil fields this winter, or is that just a twitter rumour?

RWAH
03-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Is fact Sheets is working for a trucking company in the oil patch. Was on CTV news. Guess he need cash until the NFL training camp.

sbtatter
03-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Is fact Sheets is working for a trucking company in the oil patch. Was on CTV news. Guess he need cash until the NFL training camp.

Geez, the CFL mustn't pay much, wonder what the average wage is?

Sttop
03-21-2014, 05:52 PM
If sheets were to come back to the cfl next year he would be over 200 k for half a year work not to bad

nivek_wahs
03-21-2014, 05:59 PM
ONE MORE SLEEPWith that being said..... Bob Poley did end up playing in 25 regular season games games and all 11 playoff games.

mjw22
03-21-2014, 06:01 PM
Ha! But more Pats fans would get to MJ than WK fans.
I do love that new rink in MJ though, great facility

Most if not all MJ fans that would go would cheer for WK'S
Hope WK's beat the pansies lol

chopper
03-21-2014, 08:08 PM
With that being said..... Bob Poley did end up playing in 25 regular season games games and all 11 playoff games.

Thanks for the little trip down memory lane. I was there for a number of those games. It was both comical and effective. Nobody wanted to mess with him that's for sure.

Thanks for the good job chronicling the Pats history, trivia, etc., and after all that's what this sites about.

nivek_wahs
03-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the little trip down memory lane. I was there for a number of those games. It was both comical and effective. Nobody wanted to mess with him that's for sure.

Thanks for the good job chronicling the Pats history, trivia, etc., and after all that's what this sites about.It's unfortunate that I wasn't around to see Poley suit up for the Pats, the team picture for that season was hilarious.

.... I've been working (and still am) on a Regina Pats all-time schedule and summaries, as well as all-time records against the opponent (amongst other Pats stuff).... it's been a rather interesting undertaking especially since the Pats have played over 4300 regular season games and 700+ playoff and Memorial Cup playoff games. Some very interesting information available.

But it's playoff time! Rock The Red!

RWAH
03-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Yes Kevin you are correct Bob P did play the season out. I was just making lite of the other post that we were recruiting Thunder players. And Bob could skate, not well but well enough to keep the other teams honest. I think he played midget hockey back in the Mike Kartush days.
ONE MORE SLEEP

chopper
03-21-2014, 10:44 PM
It's unfortunate that I wasn't around to see Poley suit up for the Pats, the team picture for that season was hilarious.

.... I've been working (and still am) on a Regina Pats all-time schedule and summaries, as well as all-time records against the opponent (amongst other Pats stuff).... it's been a rather interesting undertaking especially since the Pats have played over 4300 regular season games and 700+ playoff and Memorial Cup playoff games. Some very interesting information available.

But it's playoff time! Rock The Red!

Kinda off the topic here but I think I still have complete sets of the first two issues of Pats player cards. In one set they had the Cooper-Alls:) Dale Derkatch on a player card..LOL

Thanks again for all your good work.

Bighat
03-21-2014, 11:56 PM
I remember when we played kelly handy and stuck him in front of the net no one could move him. He was a regina ram aswell.

RWAH
03-22-2014, 08:46 AM
HURRAY HURRAY ITS GAME DAY!!!
Any one looking for Red . I was in Cosco last night and they had both ladies and mens tops for $19.95. Ladies were a sweat material with a zip and mock neck and cuffs with thumb holes. Mens a micro-fibre jacket with a hood, and a half shade off fire engine red.
ROCK THE RED

patsdude114
03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
GAME DAY!! Can't it be 7pm yet?

Can't wait to watch our 3rd playoff game in what 6yrs, omg how freaken sad is that let's hope this becomes a regular thing year after year being in the playoffs. Something like Kootenay's streak of 16yrs would sure be nice but not looking ahead then 7pm tonight.

GO PATS GO!

chopper
03-22-2014, 01:24 PM
GAME DAY!! Can't it be 7pm yet?

Can't wait to watch our 3rd playoff game in what 6yrs, omg how freaken sad is that let's hope this becomes a regular thing year after year being in the playoffs. Something like Kootenay's streak of 16yrs would sure be nice but not looking ahead then 7pm tonight.

GO PATS GO!

Hallelujah.......never any truer words spoken.

sadly....I remember when we were elite, consistently elite. IMO most of our recent past troubles are directly linked to who our GM was at the time.

Lets drop the puck:)

nivek_wahs
03-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Hallelujah.......never any truer words spoken.

sadly....I remember when we were elite, consistently elite. IMO most of our recent past troubles are directly linked to who our GM was at the time.

Lets drop the puck:)The lack of playoff appearances isn't a great thing when trying to "win over" Riderville. Win = fans, win more = more fans, win consistently = bigger fan base that will stick around, even through the not so good times. The team needed to be consistent and make it feel like they could make a run or two over the last many years but it wasn't just this regime...

Unfortunately it's been a long time since the Pats have been considered close to elite... unless I missed something, the last time the Pats played more than 13 games in the playoffs it was 1983-84. Yes I said it 1983-84, I was 5.

patsdude114
03-22-2014, 02:28 PM
Unfortunately it's been a long time since the Pats have been considered close to elite... unless I missed something, the last time the Pats played more than 13 games in the playoffs it was 1983-84. Yes I said it 1983-84, I was 5.

wow & I was just turning 2 during that season lmao maybe im the jinx maybe they will have success again when I pass on lmao

Fight Guy
03-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Sounds like there are under 1000 tickets left for the game tonight. Should actually be pretty packed tonight, even if it isnt sold out. Hopefully the Pats can get the crowd in to the game early. I have a feeling this could end up being a greasy first couple of games, physicality wise. Not long now!!

Update: I guess under 700 tickets left now.
*Update: Under 500 now.

RWAH
03-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Recent playoff history was only 2 seasons ago and, with out the over the top penalty for a slew foot and suspensio we would of at least had one more home games. Hope the players learned and will not be doing stuff 50 feet behind the play.
ROCK THE RED
GO PATS GO

Bepoleon
03-22-2014, 04:17 PM
Looking forward to todays game. It will be my little ones first playoff game.

The last exciting and successful playoff run I've witnessed was way back in 1993, (not including the mem cup. that was exciting but we didnt fair to well in the playoffs against Calgary).

I have faith that this team can make it to the second round, if lucky and healthly maybe conference final.

GO PATS! ROCK THE RED!

mjw22
03-22-2014, 09:36 PM
Brandon wins lol

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-22-2014, 09:39 PM
yeah they did. how did moose jaw do tonight?

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-22-2014, 09:43 PM
...so when is wapple coming back? Im assuming it wont be by tomorrow.

mjw22
03-22-2014, 09:46 PM
yeah they did. how did moose jaw do tonight?

Not too good too cold to golf lol
Mind you we've played a ton of post season games over the last 10 yrs. I guess missing out 2 yrs in a row happens. As a pat fan im sure you know the feeling.

RWAH
03-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Just like the home opener, Mcauley had s**t up his neck. Can't wait until he can calm his nerves. Fuhr gets the start tomorrow and hope Wapple can steal one in Brandon.
The whole team played sloppy. not in the systems, not using their line mates, not supporting the puck, not a team game each player trying to do to much.
In the second when we were physical even after the whistle that was when we were the best so we better keep that style and attitude for the whole game tomorrow.

patsdude114
03-22-2014, 11:09 PM
This just in the Pats call up Chapman & send MacAuley home! Ah what a nice dream that would be....

The 1st 4 goals were all scored glove side & only P. Quenneville's goal was actually a good goal. This loss is fully on MacAuley no questions asked, outside of the P. Quenneville & Pulock goal there was no other goal that BRN actually earned, 3 softies & 1 gift off the Zgraggen turnover. By no means did BRN dominate this game like the scoreboard would show, we actually had more territorial play then they had.

Can someone tell Boston Leier that the net is 2ft lower then what he is shooting. He had 4 great scoring chances tonight & each time he sent the puck high over the net, give that guy a damn straight blade maybe he will hit the net again. We had 3 or 4 deflections in the 1st 10mins of the game the score was still 0-0 when we had 2 of them, had 1 of those went in we may of seen abit of a different outcome.

The worst call of the year was made tonight on that phantom boarding call on Sinitsyn, Bukurts went down like he was shot but then skates past the Pats bench laughing & taunting the bench. That was just a good hard check for playoff hockey, I rarely complain about the refs & other then that call have no problem with any other call or non call made tonight on both sides.

Fuhr better get the start tomorrow night he looked really good in there tonight after MacAuley well nevermind not going to comment anymore about him. But 1 last thing I loved how the fans were booing when Cameron was up to his musical goalies again, the booooos that were coming out when MacAuley came back in were priceless. I know this is junior hockey & these are just kids but these kids want to be treated like minor pros (at least that's what the CHLPA thinks they are) then by rights we as fans have the right to booo

chopper
03-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Like you said PD114 there are some douche bags on this site. They come from all over but there seems to be a higher percentage in MJ...why is that?

When Cameron seen 1 shot - 1 goal he should have pulled MacAuley plain and simple. He sucked going down the stretch and got pulled in Brdn last game. I haven't seen any poorer performance in a big game in quite a while. Don't wait until 4 have gone in to make a move.

Poor poor effort all across the board.

mjw22
03-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Like you said PD114 there are some douche bags on this site. They come from all over but there seems to be a higher percentage in MJ...why is that?

When Cameron seen 1 shot - 1 goal he should have pulled MacAuley plain and simple. He sucked going down the stretch and got pulled in Brdn last game. I haven't seen any poorer performance in a big game in quite a while. Don't wait until 4 have gone in to make a move.

Poor poor effort all across the board.

Lol harsh on both accounts . Not like your team has seen a lot of play off action in the last 4 yrs .bad case of play off nerves in front of a crowd the size they normally dont play in front of .:D

sbtatter
03-23-2014, 07:37 AM
I think everyone knows that the teams are pretty even, so whoever gets the best goaltending likely takes the series. Bdn got it Sat night, see who gets goaltending tonight.
Did Steel or Patrick have any influence on the game?

chopper
03-23-2014, 10:17 AM
The teams are very close and in fact last nights game was very close. It started out with the Pats all over Brandon with a couple great chances including hitting the post from the slot. Then Haryluk picks up the puck from a bad angle and beats MacAuley. He wasn't screened but was too deep in his crease. For the next 5-6 minutes the life was sucked out of the Pats and Brandon scored a couple more. In my mind three of the four were real bad goals. We outshot Brandon but were down 4-0 In the second period the Pats outshot and outscored Brandon 3-1. In the third period Brandon outshot and outscored the Pats 1-0.

Had we got anything resembling goaltending in the first period, I'm quite sure the score would have been real close. Much like he started the season and much like his first game back form the Christmas break, MacAuley soiled the sheets. Fuhr did a good job in his work the rest of the way. While he should get the call I'm thinking MacAuley is back in, and I'm not a fan of that move.

Brandon was the better team on the night and deserving of the win. While the Pats have a few things to clean up, I firmly believe goaltending sunk them.

patsdude114
03-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Brandon was the better team on the night and deserving of the win. While the Pats have a few things to clean up, I firmly believe goaltending sunk them.

I couldn't agree more then that comment. After the 1st 2 goals MacAuley let in the team went & gave him a wack on the pads like saying hang in there keep us in this on the 3rd & 4th goals there was nothing.

longtimejrfan
03-23-2014, 12:49 PM
McCauley crapped the bed as he is an average goalie at best. In his time with the Tigers most of the saves he made were because of his size and pucks just hitting him. Very little athleticism and off his angles a lot. As for the comment about Leier shooting over the net, he was the same way with the Tigers. I loved the work ethic but he would get tons of chances and not be able to hit the net.

patsdude114
03-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Yes his work ethic is amazing sometimes he looses focus & miss handles the puck as well (prob the most by any member of our team) I'm not saying he isn't a good player but he could be so much better if he just worked on a few things &/or stayed more focused.

I still say we handled our goaltending situation wrong at the start of the year, Sacher was by far better in camp & the starting job should of been his to lose instead of just handing it over to an unproven Jr A guy. Everything Sacher did the year before meant nothing during his progression & that's wrong on so many counts. Oh well we have Wapple now even though he is hurt at the absoluate worst time of the year.

Come on Pats we can beat these guys if we get a couple saves, Fuhr better be in the net tonight. He played extremely well coming in last night. He's got such a great glove hand you could even notice it during warm ups before the playoffs started plus I had went to a practice before the BRN home & home series he flashed the leather a few times then too.

RWAH
03-23-2014, 03:55 PM
PD114 you and I agreed to disagree on this a long time ago (At he start of the season). IMO Sacher did not earn the starting job in training camp and in fact IMO he was the poorest of the three we had in camp. At the end of the year he was only the backup in Lethbridge.
I agree that MacAuley cost us the game last night and I do hope Fuhr is the starter tonight but don't rewrite history. Better yet Wapple is dressed and set to go.

witness
03-23-2014, 04:10 PM
It is easy to hang the goat horns on MacGauley. Two questionable penalities and a couple of bad give aways and that is the game.

I didn't think the Brandon goaltender was great. But, when they needed some big saves they got them in the first period. The Pats didn't. The players have to have confidence in the tender to bail them out. MacGauley has been unable to do that.

I don't know if you are doing MacGauley a favor if you do start him. I think his confidence shot

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Macauley better already have his plane tickets booked. His fault or not, the team simply doesn't play confident infront of him. Ride Fuhr the rest of the way if we have to.

Teams like Brandon expect to advance at least once every year, no matter how young their team is...while we are just content with being there at all and don't know what to do once it all starts, and it shows. This series and its probable outcome goes to show that we really are far from establishing a culture of winning.

...or maybe its just the parker curse. 20 years now of this crap.

BigCat20
03-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Can anyone explain the situation between Gabrielle & Christoffer........why 18 minutes for Christoffer?

booboo
03-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Can anyone explain the situation between Gabrielle & Christoffer........why 18 minutes for Christoffer?

What is happening to the Patsies in the first two games? No defence and no goaltending?? Where are the excuses from the Pats fans?:dead:

JMoney1988
03-23-2014, 10:41 PM
What is happening to the Patsies in the first two games? No defence and no goaltending?? Where are the excuses from the Pats fans?:dead:

So what you are saying Booboo is the Regina Pats played like the Toronto Maple Leafs?

mjw22
03-23-2014, 11:29 PM
I thought ppl were saying this was going to be close series. :confused:

patsdude114
03-24-2014, 12:16 AM

It was very clear that Christoffer was being the bonehead out there once the score really got out of control. He hit J. Quenneville along the Pats bench when the puck was deep in the zone already & then followed him thru the netural zone & punch punched him in the face real good twice before Gabrielle came in there was nothing wrong with the 18mins he got & it was fully expected.

I have zero problems with the reffing tonight cause it wouldn't of freaken mattered anyways we didn't win 1 damn battle anywhere on the ice. This team is done in 4 games and even if we win 1 game in BRN who the hell cares. I left tonight after the 2nd period I haven't left that early in a game due to poor performance since the year we won like 12games.

We can blame MacAuley all we want for tonight but this loss has nothing to do with him tonight. This team has checked out since we clinched 1st, imo the only player who really seems interested in playing is Klimchuk but hey once were done on friday night (saturday at the latest) he will be on the 1st flight to Abbortsford to play/practice with the Heat, hell who knows maybe the Flames may even give him a game or 2 in the big show too since he is signed anyways.

chopper
03-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Shocked...dazed....offended. The fact that Brandon is up 2-0 doesn't offend me, because when teams are this close it can happen. The way this team has failed to compete is what offends me deeply. Had they played two tight games or lost in OT you would know there were two teams giving their all. There was only one team giving their all....Brandon!

The Pats claimed they had their own cryptonite. It was easily exposed as goaltending, turnovers and discipline. They had been issues all year and will kill you in the playoffs. MacAuley was just Ok tonight but even giving up a couple stinkers he may have been one of the better players on the ice. The forwards and defence were that bad. I put these losses squarely on Cameron and Lang. I will elaborate later.

I refuse to accept the Pats are as poor as they've shown. Had they been this bad during the season they wouldn't have made the playoffs. You can't however ignore the box scores and the fact they have been outscored 14-7. This team wasn't ready to play and compete. To have them ready is someones responsibility. I am so:censored:disgusted.

Bighat
03-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Chopper I totally disagree, if a player can't get up for a playoff game himself then coach sure as he-- isn't going to. How is this langs fault, we were projected to finish 2nd last he made a few trades and boom 1st place. The players have to get their heads into it and play, the coach can't play for them. We blame the coach too often for the players on ice performance.

chopper
03-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Chopper I totally disagree, if a player can't get up for a playoff game himself then coach sure as he-- isn't going to. How is this langs fault, we were projected to finish 2nd last he made a few trades and boom 1st place. The players have to get their heads into it and play, the coach can't play for them. We blame the coach too often for the players on ice performance.

That's fair but you are missing some key points. The directive from the higher ups was to play an up tempo run and gun game. They threw defence away and this team has never shown an ability to play a sustained defensive game. Never! If you forget defence what you get is what you saw. Lang chose to trade for an unproven goalie who was released outright by the Med Hat Tigers. We actually gave up a draft pick to Calgary for him. He is a poor goalie and the Tigers cut him loose and their losses quickly. When push came to shove he reverted to his old habits. We didn't have the required depth in goal for most of the season and when Wapple went down, we were toast..

We were very high in the league (#3) in penalties taken and not just fighting majors. Look at last night with Christopher getting 8 minutes in minors in one play without taking a major. That's a total lack of discipline and it has happened all year and now in the playoffs. There are guys who have put themselves in front of the team. THAT is the coaches job to stop and modify that behaviour and he didn't all year. How can you expect it t change in the playoffs? When Conacher was here he sat out Weal for a team breach. It sent a message and that team played well all season and into the playoffs against a powerhouse MJ team.

Unforced errors have plagued us all year, now they're killing us. The coaches had 72 games to correct that. For most of the season we were giving up more goals than we were scoring which is clear evidence that the team had not been trained to focus on defence. I doubt Don Hay would have put up with the discipline and no defence type play. Coaches have to correct bad habits and tendencies. If they don't you play close to a period each game shorthanded.

This was an 85 point team. In 2012 we had 82 points and finished 7th which is more realistic. Any other year we're between 6th and 8th in the conference. That's about three spots from where we were predicted to finish. The trades that were made were to get us into the playoffs. There were 6 new players from the opening day roster. That's 25% turnover and a major overhaul. The 2nd seed was the result of a pathetically weak division. Nobody remembers pennant winners except here in Regina. The things that are killing us now were correctable but not now. I haven't seen too many teenage boys who were self motivated. They are not pro players. They need something to buy into and proper preparation. I don't put much of this on the players.

RWAH
03-24-2014, 11:55 AM
Chopper and PD 114 you both are correct a real disapointment. Brandon beat us with more speed, more compete and desire, and better goal tending, although the loss on Sunday was not only the tenders fault.
In the third periods combined Brandon out shoot us 26 to 15. You are starting the third period trailing but the opposition out works you, that says it all about your desire and compete. Selfish needless penalties to give Brandon the momentum, to stall any pressure you generate.
The last home league game and Brandons last min tie and OT win. How much did that bruise our physic and build their confidence.

chopper
03-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Chopper and PD 114 you both are correct a real disapointment. Brandon beat us with more speed, more compete and desire, and better goal tending, although the loss on Sunday was not only the tenders fault.
In the third periods combined Brandon out shoot us 26 to 15. You are starting the third period trailing but the opposition out works you, that says it all about your desire and compete. Selfish needless penalties to give Brandon the momentum, to stall any pressure you generate.
The last home league game and Brandons last min tie and OT win. How much did that bruise our physic and build their confidence.

You are so right about that game. There were playing with desperation and we were not that night. I could be wrong but had we won that game in regular time, Brandon would have been eliminated from playoffs due to their lower win totals between PA and Red Deer. We would have faced Red Deer or PA. Just the same we won 3 of 4 games here this season and should have at least split. We simply put were not prepared to compete. We didn't get the goaltending we needed and things got worse from there. We had 14 penalties and just around 32 minutes shorthanded. That equates to half a game. That is way too much but we kept on taking needless penalties. That should have been corrected long ago. So many issues that cost us, and sadly most preventable. Our whole season seems to be boiling down to a chintzy pennant.Boy did this come off the rails.

Bighat
03-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Goaltending was addressed during the season (wapple) defence was an Achilles heal from day 1 of camp and we made 2 trades to improve our d but still it's not very good (small). The lack of discipline I think is from our lack of size, which I think lang has addressed over the last 2 drafts. The schedule is a cop out we played the same teams as everyone else did in our division. We need to play uptempo do to our strength is our forwards and speed, we need to get that first save to help our D.

chalk_one_up
03-24-2014, 08:29 PM
Anyone know the injury status' of Roy and P. Queneville?

patsdude114
03-24-2014, 08:36 PM
You can win games in the playoffs without your top goal scorer but you cant win on a consistent basis without your top goalie... & it is showing in this series already. The team plays completely different when Wapple is in the net compared to MacAuley, they have more confidence that he will come up with the big save if they make a mistake with MacAuley they play to not turn the puck over cause they lack confidence in him.

These 2 home games have been very frustrating as a fan to watch, so much promise to only be let down so much. It would be different if we were down 2-0 to BRN had out team actually competed but when they don't even come out and compete that's what is tough to swallow.

chopper
03-24-2014, 08:57 PM
Goaltending was addressed during the season (wapple) defence was an Achilles heal from day 1 of camp and we made 2 trades to improve our d but still it's not very good (small). The lack of discipline I think is from our lack of size, which I think lang has addressed over the last 2 drafts. The schedule is a cop out we played the same teams as everyone else did in our division. We need to play uptempo do to our strength is our forwards and speed, we need to get that first save to help our D.

Wapple should give us quality goaltending for the next two years. We need to have a back-up that the team feels good playing in front of. Completely agree we didn't get big enough and we need to for next season. We have some bigger guys coming but they a ways away from being impact. We need to acquire two big quality veteran d-men for next season. We absolutely need a couple of real good shut down guys. We will have to give up something good but lets look how Brandon builds a club. look at the size of Portland, Calgary, Edmonton and Kelowna. They all have huge defences that can move the puck. They win a lot. We may also have to add a couple veteran forwards who have some size. Preferably a roster of not more than three forwards under 6 ft and not more than one d-man. We also need to fix the PK and good start would be to take 20% fewer penalties.

RWAH
03-24-2014, 10:13 PM
The teams you mentioned all, at some point took their lumps, traded their elite players for young up and comers and drafted very well. Those are all things we have not done. At the trade deadline this year and last, most posters were in favor of selling and building for the future but we did not do that. We have improved our scouting but if you don't have picks it is not much help. I think its safe to say, as it was in January and is still is, that this year it is likely the conference final will be Cal and Edm so we should have been proactive to trade some of our top players. The elite teams you mentioned have all had periods when they sold and stocked young players and picks and the Pats have not done that, not in Brent P time and not in Chad L time. Each year we tweek trade (some good and some not so good) just to be average. Maybe next year we can get a kings ransom for Klimchuk and break the cycle

chopper
03-24-2014, 11:55 PM
None of the elite teams have gone through anything like the Pats have. None have taken the lumps we have. They have had for the most part ongoing success with very few and brief down times. We have perpetually rebuilt with mostly the wrong type of players. We've been through so many rebuild cycles. Talk about lumps. Kelowna has only missed playoffs once in 19 seasons with four trips to the Memorial Cup and a win, Calgary has missed playoffs three times in the same 19 years and had three consecutive first place finishes. Portland only five times in like 30 years but won a couple Memorial Cups and a couple trips to the Memorial cup. Edmonton has missed two of their first three years but have been on fire after that. Most of these teams never got the top picks in the bantam drafts, so their recognition of horse flesh has been superior.

Kootenay usually make some big trades each season and they have never missed the playoffs since they moved from Edmonton. They had a few trips to the Memorial Cup and have won it. Each team builds a little differently.

Much like a lot of posters I felt we could have moved a couple name pieces for some stud d-men etc. I think we would have still made the playoffs. A few less goals but giving up far less. I doubt we would be doing any worse than we are now. I don't believe for one second there were no trading partners. It's my belief the Parkers wanted a couple gates in the playoffs and suggested that no moves be made. The for sale sign was never put out. I wouldn't have a problem if the likes of Klimchuk or others were moved to re-tool our defence. We now have a good goalie for a couple years so we better build a more stellar defence in front of him. Much better than we now have since defence wins championships.

chopper
03-25-2014, 10:00 AM
When you give it some thought, it's somewhat telling that we're talking about next season when this one isn't over yet. Like most fans I've had a lot of interest sucked from me. We had two quick games here and didn't even really get a chance to cheer much. Our season could be gone in a blink with no more home games until next season. It all seems a little surreal. Brandon hasn't played much different that they usually do, but we have done absolutely nothing. Goaltending - no, compete - no, discipline - no. Only question left seems to be why.

RWAH
03-25-2014, 11:07 AM
That is what I am saying We year after year tweek trade and never get ahead in talent or picks. We are still in the shadow of the Brent P days when we were not good judges of talent and were not successful drafting and developing talent. All the elite teams you mentioned build from within and when they are contenders trade up for the final push. Trading young talent or picks for players just to make the playoffs is not good for the long term success of the team.
Not that many years ago Portland was the basement of the WHL. Edmonton had three very good drafts when they came into the League.
IMO the Pats have improved the scouting and talent judging. IMO the PPL is much better than a few years ago but we are weak in draft picks as a result of the tweek trades. Im am not sure we develope the player as well as other teams do. I noted that Kelly M had Patrick playing the PP but he also had a 4 goal lead so had less restrains than trailing in the game.
I guess its that for the last 12 or 15 year we have be preoccupied with trying to be in the top 8 and in the playoffs and not focused on becoming an elite team. Short term not long term.

chopper
03-25-2014, 11:56 AM
That is what I am saying We year after year tweek trade and never get ahead in talent or picks. We are still in the shadow of the Brent P days when we were not good judges of talent and were not successful drafting and developing talent. All the elite teams you mentioned build from within and when they are contenders trade up for the final push. Trading young talent or picks for players just to make the playoffs is not good for the long term success of the team.
Not that many years ago Portland was the basement of the WHL. Edmonton had three very good drafts when they came into the League.
IMO the Pats have improved the scouting and talent judging. IMO the PPL is much better than a few years ago but we are weak in draft picks as a result of the tweek trades. Im am not sure we develope the player as well as other teams do. I noted that Kelly M had Patrick playing the PP but he also had a 4 goal lead so had less restrains than trailing in the game.
I guess its that for the last 12 or 15 year we have be preoccupied with trying to be in the top 8 and in the playoffs and not focused on becoming an elite team. Short term not long term.

I couldn't agree more. They have been more preoccupied with getting a couple gates in playoffs that nothing else mattered. This year we were poised to make some noise at the trade deadline but didn't. Some will say we got a pennant but really!! Saskatoon got one last year as well. Who cares right. Tidbit here: the WinterHawks won the Memorial cup in 98 which was a couple years after Parker took over here. 99 and 200 they were poor(2 years). 2001-2006 they were very good. 2007-2009 (3 years) they were poor again but in 2010 they were turned around again with a couple finals and a League Championship last year. They are one of the favourites again this year. In less time than Parkers have been here Portland have been national champions, down a couple years, back up excellence, down a few years, and no back up to defending league champions. My question is why can't that be us?? We seem to be more concerned about the moment as opposed to how do we get to excellence. Picking Miller and Favreau in back to back years didn't help. I firmly believe if we would have had Bob Green in here as GM, today we would be what Edmonton is, or Mike Johnston in Portland. There have been good hockey guys available but BP always felt he was their equal...not! I am just at a loss.

Speaking of Saskatoon I see that they've cleaned house. GM and Coaches gone.

RWAH
03-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Brent P as a GM for the 15 or so years he was, did little to build the team in the long term. His heart was in the right place but he was not astute enough judge of talent, either players or staff. He became too close to players and would not trade them when the trading was good.
However for what the Parker family took over, both Russ and Brent have made a big change in the franchise in marketing and community involvement and at the time maybe saved the team for Regina and not have another buyer moved it.
As a side: this could be whats happening in Stoon

patsdude114
03-25-2014, 03:56 PM
There is no doubt that the Parker's still run the show here just now its Russ instead of Brent. Russ wanted some playoff revenue this year as I do believe the team is sold and will be announced during the offseason. He got roughly an extra 200-300k from the playoffs (advertising, tickets, box seats,ect) you can bet your a*s that he is hoping for the Pats to win 1 game in BRN to get 1 more game out of the playoff revenue.

This all ties back into not doing what was right and trading Stephenson, Stevenson & Leier.... You cant tell me PA wouldn't of rather had more scoring power instead of adding Craig into their lineup. Im sure Seattle would of preferred 1 of them over Maxwell as well.

We all know money talks but with this franchise they just don't get it on to how to make more money in the long run. The Parker's better sell (which I do believe they have) us fans deserve it.

chopper
03-25-2014, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=patsdude114;195367]

This all ties back into not doing what was right and trading Stephenson, Stevenson & Leier.... You cant tell me PA wouldn't of rather had more scoring power instead of adding Craig into their lineup. Im sure Seattle would of preferred 1 of them over Maxwell as well.

Absolutely on point! Let me muse here for a bit ok guys:)

For each of these guys we get a 1st round draft pick (this years or last years draft) OR a dandy 18 year old plus a 2or3 rnd draft pick. Additionally we would have had to take back the trading teams 20 year olds. We would have received two very serviceable players for the balance of the season. We would have had a nice booty of players and/or draft picks.

The Stephenson/Stevenson pair would have been a tough pill, but the return would have helped us for years. Leier's play has really tailed off in the 2nd half and I'm not sure his loss would have been critical.

I would have still done the Wapple deal as he will be one of our back bones for two years. McVeigh maybe! Strengthening up our goaltending and defence may have been the net result. I think a strong goalie, tougher defence, and some scoring by committee would have still got us into the playoffs considering the weakness of the division.

Considering our playoff performance to date, little would have been lost. Two home playoff gates is all, Russ wanted that money very badly. If they go out in four as it appears, the fans will want blood anyway. Doing what is financially strategic does not equate to doing what was organizationally strategic. Make a little cash on the playoffs and then unload it. I don't think we the fans factored into the equation whatsoever

patsdude114
03-25-2014, 08:29 PM
Leier's play has really tailed off in the 2nd half and I'm not sure his loss would have been critical.

I had said long ago on Roddy's blog that Leier is not a goal scorer hell he even admitted it in the LP I believe it was in late November and I got my arse chewed off for that comment.... the guy scored a measly 7goals after trade deadline, yes he has great work ethic but he is not a goal scorer by any means. When the defenses started to get tighter in the second half he pretty much disappeared off the goal scoring chart.

chopper
03-25-2014, 09:36 PM
The entire 3rd line usually works its butt off...classic case and I seen it hundreds of time....5'!0" guy puts up good numbers in the first half..come the 2nd half ...they often are ineffective. It's about size.

patsdude114
03-25-2014, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't say its all about size especially when it comes to junior hockey, a lot of small guys continue to put up numbers no matter what part of the year it is. It comes down to skill really, Leier has some skill but by no means is an elite 20yr old he gets by on work ethic alone. Don't get me wrong he does a lot of good things on the ice but he lacks finish when the checking starts to get tigher.

Look at Point, Hawryluk can even throw Dyson Stevenson as only 1 measly inch (same weight) separates him & Leier. These players scored still regularly in the second half as they did in the first half, these guys have finish in their game & always have.

One thing that is promising with our recent drafts is that we have some size coming up as well as goal scorers. As much as Lang didn't trade away assests that we have this year (which I'm sure came from higher up) let's be thankful that he didn't trade away any prospects that could hurt us more in the long term. Yes he is missing a few picks this year but as long as they select quality in the 1st & 2nd rounds the draft should still be a success. Then we should be trading Klimchuk next year as we should recoup what we didn't have in this draft & then some

chopper
03-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Klimchuk's situation is interesting and in the air I think. He could be moved on draft day, moved at deadline, kept all season or possibly play in Calgary. I don't think he's ready but you just never know. If skating school brings him to acceptable NHL standard and he impresses, anything can happen.

He looks to be the only star forward they have coming back, and that may not be enough. We will need to play a stingy defensive game and stay much more disciplined than this year.

We need to put a stop to giving up 2nd and 3rd round draft picks i.e. Leier, Pilton (and others) when the only intent is to shore us up to make playoffs. We should reserve those types of trades for where we are contenders and need that extra piece.

If Klimchuk is all we have coming back we need to move him to shore up other areas, and the develop the like of Kroeker, Steel, Cole and Smith. Maybe we get lucky and find a Sherback. The thing is that we the fans aren't really factored into the equation. If he returns they very well may keep him all season. It's a soap opera which will begin soon.

patsdude114
03-26-2014, 05:08 PM
On sportscage report is Wapple is getting the start tonight :)

huge news for the pats

Fight Guy
03-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Wow...was surprised to just hear that myself. Also surprised to hear MacAuley was scratched for the night. Hope Wapple is ready to go. Definitely good news if he can play as well as he did before the injury.

Bighat
03-26-2014, 08:21 PM
Well put a fork in us were done.

mjw22
03-26-2014, 08:53 PM
All the way to MJ when the pat fans jumped off the bandwagon :D

brandonboy
03-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Just a heads up something is going on in one of the dressing rooms, paramedics ambulance and a lot upset looking ppl. Haven't heard which room yet just heard dressing room.

drummermajor
03-26-2014, 09:03 PM
It was the Wheat Kings. Didn't stick around to see what was going on out of respect for privacy. The stretcher was out and ready to be used when I left.

Bighat
03-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Please keep us posted.

drummermajor
03-26-2014, 09:27 PM
According to twitter. Jayce Hawryluk had chest pains and collapsed.

witness
03-26-2014, 09:36 PM
WOW!!!
Hope he is ok

RWAH
03-26-2014, 10:54 PM
All the best to Jayce Hope he is OK He will be in my prayers

chopper
03-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Just read on Harder's blog the young man is in hospital resting comfortably...that's a good sign.

As far as the game is concerned it was the result I expected. Cameron is obviously miffed that they played well for 15 minutes and made it 4-1, and then took their foot of the gas. They couldn't regain their momentum. It called not playing a 60 minute game.

Once again the likes of Stephenson, Leier, and some others aren't doing much. Our best players are not being our best players.

Wapple asked to play but I'm betting he wasn't really ready, much like Stevenson. They are character guys who wanted to help their team. I know that character doesn't extend to some other players on this team.

This will be over in four....thank god for small mercies..

brandonboy
03-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Just read on Harder's blog the young man is in hospital resting comfortably...that's a good sign.

As far as the game is concerned it was the result I expected. Cameron is obviously miffed that they played well for 15 minutes and made it 4-1, and then took their foot of the gas. They couldn't regain their momentum. It called not playing a 60 minute game.

Once again the likes of Stephenson, Leier, and some others aren't doing much. Our best players are not being our best players.

Wapple asked to play but I'm betting he wasn't really ready, much like Stevenson. They are character guys who wanted to help their team. I know that character doesn't extend to some other players on this team.

This will be over in four....thank god for small mercies..

It looked to me Wapple was playing obviously hurt.

patsdude114
03-26-2014, 11:56 PM
All the way to MJ when the pat fans jumped off the bandwagon :D

that was me falling off the couch in shock of how little effort this team puts forth when it really matters. As much as I want to see this team succeed I really don't want them to win on Friday night as id rather have a bigger rebate towards my season tickets next season then having to sit thru another game of little effort and little care.

sbtatter
03-27-2014, 07:49 AM
Wapple's playing on 1 leg, watch the 5th goal, he doesn't even try to push off and get across the crease, credit him for trying, but cameron should probably be putting someone else in if it doesn't improve. If klimchuk scores on that shorthanded break away, game over.
Regina's PP looked dynamite in the 1st. And they had a really aggressive 3 man forecheck going that prevented Bdn from exiting their own zone with the puck. Stopped doing that in the 3rd which i thought was a mistake, because then bdn was able to exit the zone and mount some offence.
And some classy guys on this forum, putting some good thoughts Hawryluks way, kudos to you.

chopper
03-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Wapple was 7-10 days away. He isn't ready now as I got some intel. Win or lose you go with Fuhr or MacAuley. MacAuley mainly got you to the dance and to put him in the stands just rubs me the wrong way. I have never been a MacAuley fan but this makes me feel badly. That is of course if he isn't injured as well.

They didn't play 60 minutes but a least they competed somewhat. The fans seen what they are capable of when they compete. We didn't see that here for the first two games. To a great extent this is about our best players not really showing up. -2,-3,-5 tells you all you need to know.

What we need is answers but I'm sure we will only get excuses.

sbtatter
03-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Win or lose you go with Fuhr or MacAuley. MacAuley mainly got you to the dance and to put him in the stands just rubs me the wrong way. I have never been a MacAuley fan but this makes me feel badly. That is of course if he isn't injured as well.

We talked about this last night at the game, if MacAuley isn't injured, not dressing him is really throwing him under the bus, and if Wapple can't go Friday night, now Cameron has to start Fuhr and MacAuley as back up is likely not the happiest guy in the world.

patsdude114
03-27-2014, 01:19 PM
The Pats made their bed with their goalie situation back when they traded for a Jr A guy who could never stick it out in the WHL with 2 other teams. Fuhr is by far more ready then MacAuley ever was, when Fuhr was with VAN he was thrown into the fire at a very young age (very few goalies are ready at age 17) plus throw in on a very sh*tty VAN team that ended up the worst team in the league. It shot Fuhr's confidence fully which is why back when Sacher left the team Fuhr said he wanted stay in the SJHL and work on his game and gain confidence (kudos to him for looking at his own development instead of just jumping at the chance to get back into the WHL). Also one last thing about MacAuley imo who cares if he isn't the happiest guy on the bench on Friday he wont be back next season anyways.

I know we are dealing with kids here and all but I really don't want to see MacAuley play another minute in the Pats crease. I really don't care if we lose on Friday anymore, this team has played with zero heart in the playoffs.

Someone should tell Stephenson that pro hockey likes winners not players that just do enough to win a few hockey games in the regular season. The way he has been competing since March 1st WSH wont be offering him a contract and he will find himself back in junior hockey next season. Which I don't know if that's good or bad for the Pats lately. He can be the best player on the ice like he was against Calgary & Victoria but then he still has those moments where he could barely be a 4th line player. Hell im surprised he even won the offensive zone faceoff after our timeout in the final minute.

Bighat
03-27-2014, 02:27 PM
That's what me and chopper have been talking about the last month and 1/2 about Stephenson (likes to float a lot) then turn it on, not a complete game he'll be back next.

chopper
03-27-2014, 04:15 PM
Here are some interesting stats from the WHL;

Paprirny 888 sv%
Wapple 800
MacAuley 778

FUHR................. 920% (albiet small sampling)

I firmly believed that FUHR should have got a shot with Macauley backing up. To play a hurt guy and sit out you regular is merely a desperation move. From the onset I have never felt that MacAuley was WHL calibre. There were many more options available to the Pats.

Fuhr earned the right to sink or swim and what the heck did it matter. After those first two games is there anybody out there that actually thought the Pats had a chance? Losing not one but two home games sunk them.

There is a lot of different possibilities for next year. There seems to be a prevailing belief that the Pats have been sold, or are about to be. What happens I guess depends on who owns the Pats...thinking of Slapshot..lol

In my mind there has to be a new direction taken. It's no longer good enough to just figure the A+B+C will make a line, and we can go on like that until we have enough to ice a team. Stephenson may be hard pressed to get a contract. I wouldn't want to see him back. I'm looking to trade for a stud d-man and a pick. He isn't a clutch guy like two years ago when Stevenson outscored him in the playoffs. I think you want to impart a stronger work ethic on your young guys. If he is sent back we may have to do something similar with Klimchuk, but for a different reason. We need some young talent.

Over the last two decades we have done thing the same way (BP STYLE) or a variation of it with chicken s__t results. Our returning next seasons 17 and 18 year olds do not appear to be elite. At least they're not as 16 and 17's this year. There could be some evolving but that's still a wait and see. We simply need youngsters with some higher end talent.

RWAH
03-28-2014, 09:15 AM
I am as big a Pat fan as we all are. A season ticket holder for more than 15 years. And as dissapointed, as us all, with the effort at home in the two games. However:
I do NOT believe the team management and coaches would play (Wapple or Dyson) if they were not cleared by the medical and training staff in todays game it is not take an asspirin and get out there. With out a doubt, having been in the stands for two weeks, Wappel lacked game conditioning.
A tenders stat (save percentage) is an indication of the tenders talent and the team in front of him and there is no doubt that the team that played the two home games did not play very well. How many of those 14 goals were tic tac toe plays, how many were shots from the prime slot with out any D-man harassing the shooter. Its a chicken and egg question good teams make good goalies and good goalies make good teams.
As for next year: one problem is too many 95 born (19s) 10 returning and the cycle (tweek trade) to solve this and a loss of a few draf picks in the years to come. Enough rambling I'm going to clean my golf clubs
PS
Hope springs eternal: a win tonight , a win at home then the next game is a road game for both teams.

chopper
03-28-2014, 03:50 PM
I think we're all more than a little taken aback by what's gone on in this series. I think the operative word is frustrated. Brandon has clearly been the better team, but where has our team been hiding. We've been hammered twice at home and gave up a 4-1 lead on the road. Sadly a core group of guys took a week off. Losing is one thing but not giving your all and losing is something else. If it's time off they crave no worry because they will have plenty very soon.

Oh well one game to go and what the heck.... no lead in hockey is safe:rolleyes:

patsdude114
03-28-2014, 06:26 PM
well ordered this game on the webcast hopefully get to watch a 'good game' still a very cheap price to get the game on webcast even if you turn it off after the 1st period lol

go pats go im still a die hard fan and I want to at least see them win a game or 2 which is still possible but it starts to tonight.

Bighat
03-28-2014, 08:49 PM
Another horrible effort it looks like tonite, well at least I get a big credit for next year. Too many penalties again.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-28-2014, 08:51 PM
is it an upset if nobody is surprised? what a pitiful organization.

hope steel got some experience at least. maybe once he turns 19 and is a blue chip prospect, we can perhaps win our first game in the second round since 20 years ago.

mjw22
03-28-2014, 08:52 PM
Nana na na Nana na na hey hey GOOD BYE :D

patsdude114
03-28-2014, 09:01 PM
what a piss poor performance for the entire series in 4 games only Wapple showed up for 2 games (his only 2 games played)

our 2 20yr olds Leier & Zgraggen were flat our garbage what a disgrace they were the entire series.... away after give away, then fall down over and over again, or over handling puck trying to do too much like usual. The guy I feel most sorry for is Stevenson the guy busted his arse his entire junior career with the Pats and finally gets a chance on a team to possibly make some noise in the playoffs and he breaks his hand before the season ends.

kudos to BRN you couldn't tell what line was on the ice be it line 1 or line 4 they all played the exact same way, played as an entire unit no matter who was on the ice.

good luck in the 2nd round....btw Patrick is gonna be a gem prob turn out better then Steel will with a big reason behind that being able to play with a deep team for years to come.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
03-28-2014, 09:03 PM
says the fanatic mascot chaser of the team who got swept by the pats in the regular season.

mjw22
03-28-2014, 09:06 PM
says the fanatic mascot chaser of the team who got swept by the pats in the regular season.

And your team won exactly 0 more play off games than us:clap:

chopper
03-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Last time I checked you actually have to get to the playoffs before you can lose a game in the playoffs.:p

mjw22
03-28-2014, 09:39 PM
Last time I checked you actually have to get to the playoffs before you can lose a game in the playoffs.:p

Ya not something pats fans are too familiar with in last 10 yrs.but ya got a nice banner lol. See ya next year:p

Trevor
03-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Kudos to Wapple, it was quite obvious he wasn't anywhere near 100% but still played a pretty good game.

chopper
03-28-2014, 11:19 PM
Kudos to Wapple, it was quite obvious he wasn't anywhere near 100% but still played a pretty good game.

From what I chose to watch, it's absolutely true that he wasn't a 100% but he hung in and battled. He got the hardest working player of the game by Pats radio. As a fan I only wish there were some others on the Pats who would have shown the compete he did. Brandon won in four and they deserve kudos for the series win.

We Pats fans are struggling to figure out *** went wrong. Why this didn't end up being a 6 or 7 game series. Fans on both sides would have never predicted this and were gearing up for a long hard fought affair. Very perplexing.

Trevor
03-29-2014, 07:42 AM
From what I chose to watch, it's absolutely true that he wasn't a 100% but he hung in and battled. He got the hardest working player of the game by Pats radio. As a fan I only wish there were some others on the Pats who would have shown the compete he did. Brandon won in four and they deserve kudos for the series win.

There were times last night, especially after one left to right cross crease save Wapple made in the 2nd where it was an obvious struggle just go get back to his feet. And after that save when the play was out of the Regina end he was barely putting weight on his leg even. Combine that with the absolute stinger he took off the right shoulder in the first that had him hunched over for a few seconds and he played his heart out last night.

patsdude114
03-29-2014, 03:03 PM
There were times last night, especially after one left to right cross crease save Wapple made in the 2nd where it was an obvious struggle just go get back to his feet. And after that save when the play was out of the Regina end he was barely putting weight on his leg even. Combine that with the absolute stinger he took off the right shoulder in the first that had him hunched over for a few seconds and he played his heart out last night.

Im going out on a limb here for next year that Wapple may be 1 of the very few bright spots the Pats will have, he will be our goalie next season and the season after I see another Matt Hewitt in his dedication to this franchise along with his work ethic and spectacular saves

chalk_one_up
03-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Im going out on a limb here for next year that Wapple may be 1 of the very few bright spots the Pats will have, he will be our goalie next season and the season after I see another Matt Hewitt in his dedication to this franchise along with his work ethic and spectacular saves

Without him last night, the game could have been 9-1, but a healthy Wapple throughout this series ensures that this series isn't a sweep, not sure about a Pats win, but it would have been closer.

Bighat
03-29-2014, 06:11 PM
We're not going to be a bad team next year.

witness
03-29-2014, 07:27 PM
The Pats will be ok next year.
They lose a lot, but also gaining some high end talent.
They will be better on defence, set in goal, it is just replacing the scoring

patsdude114
03-29-2014, 11:27 PM
The Pats will be ok next year.
They lose a lot, but also gaining some high end talent.
They will be better on defence, set in goal, it is just replacing the scoring

We have no #1 center as let's be honest McVeigh isn't a #1 center & Steel won't be ready for for that sort of exposure especially early on in the year. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see it.

We have 3 strong wingers returning in Klimchuk, Hunt & Gay neither 1 are amazing skaters though. I don't think Christoffer or D'Amico are good enough to be 20yr olds, I like both players game but not impact enough for a 20yr old spot. Mabye D'Amico sticks around for abit just due to him being a center til the 20yr old cut down happens.

Our defense has 3 returning 19yr olds in Burroughs, Williams & Schacher also I hope Reagan can step in with a bigger role as well. I truly can not believe that Reagan didn't play 1 playoff game & only 27 reg season games, I thought we were still rebuilding???? Do the Pats even consider using Sinitsyn as a 20yr old euro?

I hope guys like Wagner & Kroeker (I think I spelt that wrong) can be a surprise next season. Also mybe a pure goal scorer like Elmer can find success under Cameron's creativeness offensive style of game plan. Does Fuhr compete for the backup job behind Wapple & go with 2 19yr old goaalies?

I personally think there are more question marks going into next season then there was at the start of this years training camp. I guess we got to look forward to the draft now & then our summer caamap in June ti think its June anyways)

witness
03-30-2014, 09:02 AM
I had a hard time understanding your assessment of Klimchuck's skating. He has NHL speed and top end WHL skill. Hunt's skating is fine. Gay is not a great skater, but has some great hands. Chandler really wasn't a #1 center. You would like a center to win more face offs. I like D'Amico, he does a ton of the intangibles. I like the development of Brooks last year. He really improved in his own zone and I liked his compete level. Wagner has proven to me that he can play a regular shift.

Starting this season the Pats had one defence men that was a top 4 guy (Burroughs) and an unproven Euro. Williams has been great since Christmas and is a legit top 4 guy. Sinitsyn would be a nice return. Schacher is also able to be a top 4 guy. I likes Harrison's improvement and Reagan can be a regular. And there are a couple of younger guys ready for the WHL.

Bighat
03-30-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm with you witness there is nothing wrong with klimchucks skating, and next year he will be stronger. You'll see more of a team game next year 4 lines rolling. I can see dimicao and Christopher being back as 20 yr olds. Our defence will be better and goaltending will be strong. If Stephenson comes back we will be pretty deep up front, we should have 2 16 year olds and 3 additional 17 yr olds. There will be trades and 1 new euro.

chopper
03-30-2014, 10:10 AM
It appears that some people have forgotten that we just had sand kicked in our face by a faster, committed, and more talented Brandon team. A lot of players being projected to return played a big role in our demise. We had a ton of guys with horrible +/- in a short series. Just saying bring this guy back and that guy back, do a few tweaks and we're good to go?

The management and coaches talked about compete, character, and failing to play defence. They talked of making changes to add what they needed. They talked of speed, size and the intangibles. The pieces that need to be added won't be in the 16-17 age bracket. I think a lot of people may be surprised at some of the names moved before or at the beginning of next season.

Bighat
03-30-2014, 12:21 PM
I won't be surprised because there is a plan and we just happened to have a better year than we were suppose too, some people forget that and have their sights set too high. This organization is building for steels 18 year old year. A couple of tweaks like this year well fine then but we have the kids coming up and I know that we're not going to mess with that.

witness
03-30-2014, 12:42 PM
And give Brandon some credit. Way deeper up front than a majority of teams. Their weakness was the backend and inconsistent goaltending. The backend was way better. I would even say played over their heads.
And let's put things into prospective. The Pats will be better than MJ and Saskatoon. PA and Kootney will be rebuilding. Lethbridge lacks leadership and character to be a contender. I am not sure what Edmonton will have. I think that MH and Brandon will be good. That would put the Pats in the middle of the pack.
This year they overachieved, which is a nice change.

patsdude114
03-30-2014, 01:46 PM
I had a hard time understanding your assessment of Klimchuck's skating. He has NHL speed and top end WHL skill. Hunt's skating is fine. Gay is not a great skater, but has some great hands. Chandler really wasn't a #1 center. You would like a center to win more face offs. I like D'Amico, he does a ton of the intangibles. I like the development of Brooks last year. He really improved in his own zone and I liked his compete level. Wagner has proven to me that he can play a regular shift.

Klimchuk has worked on his skating a lot I have never denied that, he is a north south skater not very agile at all he has became a good skater but not a great skater by any means. As for his skill yes he has skill but he doesn't dominate on a regular basis like a lot of 1st round picks do still in junior, which is why he will be back next season.

As for Hunt he is basically the same as Klimchuk is but Hunt is way stronger down low then Klimchuk is, I really think a NHL team will take a chance on Hunt in the very late rounds or at least a FA tryout somewhere.

Gay yes we all know his skating is not that great, he isn't that strong along the boards but that is something that he can improve by improving his all around strength during the offseason. Yes he has great hands which he displayed to us Pats fans at different times throughout the year, if he can become more consistent with that he can be a quality 19yr old forsure in this league.

With D'Amico like I said before I like a lot of things about his game and yes he does a lot of the intangibles like you stated but in the end when it comes down to a 20yr old you need them to be impact guys, guys who will put up at least 50pts for you and I don't see that in D'Amico or Christoffer (who I also like his game a lot too) these guys are role players guys you want as 18 or 19yr olds not 20yr olds. Like I said in a previous post I could see D'Amico sticking for abit as a 20yr old just cause he is a center and we lack depth in that position imo he was our best faceoff guy this season.

The Brooks comment yes he got a lot better but I think Steel takes his spot on the depth chart as either the #2 or #3 center. Brooks hasn't done enough to be really considered as a 18yr old next season. His offensive game is no where close to how they talked about him when they drafted him. If it comes down to ice time between 3 vets between guys like Brooks, Zimmer or Wagner id rather see Zimmer & Wagner get all that ice time instead of being in and out of the lineup.

I get that not everyone views things the same my opinions are different then the next one's as are yours compared to another guy. Neither opinions are wrong as everyone seems to bring up good points in there opinions on players.

chopper
03-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Most teams don't usually build around "one" players 18 year They tend to build around an age group. IMO they will try to acquire younger assets that will be able to support Steel when he is 18-19. A number of years back we took Brett Miller and Dominic Favreau in back to back 1st round drafts.They were both busts so you just never know. You can never be sure about a single player so you need to have more than one talented player in the depth chart.

This team at the beginning of the season was headed where they were predicted to go. Ad in Leier, Zagraggen, Schacher, Wapple, McVeigh not to mention Hanson, recalling D'Amico etc. This roster was completely reworked about 1/3 and that's the reason we were able to overachieve. I don't think there is anybody who thinks without those trades we would have made the playoffs? We still have to pay with draft picks for those guys. Was this a true reflection of what we had or what we acquired. That's for speculation I guess.

Last season we had Stephenson, Stevenson, and Klimchuk as top forwards with two being drafted. We have only Klimchuk coming back this year who could be called a top forward. Gay and Hunt are good players but not top end talents. While they both scored in the playoffs there were bad defensively as well. The 17 year old group is very weak (nobody on CS list) so our 18 year old (96's) coming back which should be the backbone of our team is very poor and troubling. Unless there there are some profound moves based on what we have, the Pats will be in a dogfight to make the playoffs. But then again we may go and bring six or seven guys, although that game plan hasn't worked yet.

Brandon wasn't special they simply competed and outworked us. Both the coach and the GM gave that as the reason for the loss. Lack of grit, compete etc are something they will address I'm sure. The fact they've identified some players who didn't compete is very concerning. It speaks to what type of character we have, at least some guys and I'm sure they will be gone.

booboo
03-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Most teams don't usually build around "one" players 18 year They tend to build around an age group. IMO they will try to acquire younger assets that will be able to support Steel when he is 18-19. A number of years back we took Brett Miller and Dominic Favreau in back to back 1st round drafts.They were both busts so you just never know. You can never be sure about a single player so you need to have more than one talented player in the depth chart.

This team at the beginning of the season was headed where they were predicted to go. Ad in Leier, Zagraggen, Schacher, Wapple, McVeigh not to mention Hanson, recalling D'Amico etc. This roster was completely reworked about 1/3 and that's the reason we were able to overachieve. I don't think there is anybody who thinks without those trades we would have made the playoffs? We still have to pay with draft picks for those guys. Was this a true reflection of what we had or what we acquired. That's for speculation I guess.

Last season we had Stephenson, Stevenson, and Klimchuk as top forwards with two being drafted. We have only Klimchuk coming back this year who could be called a top forward. Gay and Hunt are good players but not top end talents. While they both scored in the playoffs there were bad defensively as well. The 17 year old group is very weak (nobody on CS list) so our 18 year old (96's) coming back which should be the backbone of our team is very poor and troubling. Unless there there are some profound moves based on what we have, the Pats will be in a dogfight to make the playoffs. But then again we may go and bring six or seven guys, although that game plan hasn't worked yet.

Brandon wasn't special they simply competed and outworked us. Both the coach and the GM gave that as the reason for the loss. Lack of grit, compete etc are something they will address I'm sure. The fact they've identified some players who didn't compete is very concerning. It speaks to what type of character we have, at least some guys and I'm sure they will be gone.

The Pats came as close to the WK as they are going to get for the next 3 or 4 years. If you look at the prospect lists of both teams, there is no comparison. The WK best players this year other than Pulock were their young guys. What about your young guys? I'm sorry, no I'm not, but you guys are going to be bottom feeders next year.:clap:

Bighat
03-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Boo boo we'll see what the future brings I wouldn't start counting your championships just yet.

booboo
03-30-2014, 09:19 PM
Boo boo we'll see what the future brings I wouldn't start counting your championships just yet.

I know one thing though and that is we'll be eating the Patsies lunch next year. No one said anything about championships----all that was mentioned is the WK future looks a lot brighter than the Pats.:clap:

mjw22
03-30-2014, 09:49 PM
I know one thing though and that is we'll be eating the Patsies lunch next year. No one said anything about championships----all that was mentioned is the WK future looks a lot brighter than the Pats.:clap:

Hell our future looks brighter than the pats lol

patsdude114
03-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Hell our future looks brighter than the pats lol

You & I both know that the Warriors are in terrible shape moving forward, another restart to the rebuild with tons of underachieving players. So many small prospects have been chosen lately. MJ's entire season was frustrating where as the Pats had a playoff run that was frustrating. Outside of Point there really isn't much in MJ coming back, Rodewald should be a quality 20yr old & Paulic should provide some hope unless the defense takes another step backwards then it won't matter who is in goal again.

We all think our team looks good on paper with prospects coming up but time & time again us fans are let down by underachieving kids but in the end we are dealing with kids & you never truly know what your going to get. Brandon by far is returning the best team in our division. Outside of a handful of players that whole team returns & will be a year older. No team has 2 can't miss NHL prospects coming in at age 16 like Brandon does in Patrick & Clague. Clauge was so good in preseason he should of played the entire year in the WHL, from all understandings he dominated the AMHL this year & not meaning in total points just his overall play but points he put up as well as a Dman.

chopper
03-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Your certainly entitled to your opinion.:)

Bighat
03-31-2014, 10:17 AM
MJ future looks brighter, did you look at your roster and picks. How about your coach (he's a bueat) and Brandon looks good on paper but the games still have to be played. I don't count 15 yr old kids can't miss 1st rounders till they have played a couple of seasons. Most scouts had steel as the best player in the draft well let's wait and see, he might be or he may not progress. I've seen too many can't miss players turn into average players. It's ball season and the next exciting day for the pats will be the draft. Bye all.

chopper
03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
MJ future looks brighter, did you look at your roster and picks. How about your coach (he's a bueat) and Brandon looks good on paper but the games still have to be played. I don't count 15 yr old kids can't miss 1st rounders till they have played a couple of seasons. Most scouts had steel as the best player in the draft well let's wait and see, he might be or he may not progress. I've seen too many can't miss players turn into average players. It's ball season and the next exciting day for the pats will be the draft. Bye all.

No truer words spoken Bighat. Us mere mortals don't have the psychic powers to know how many games any team will win next season. Things can change in a hurry and often do. Brandon's strength lays with their good crop of 96's which is admittedly better than ours. One or two moves could change all that. We may not be as good as they are next season but I think we should let the players/games decide that.

mjw22
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
You & I both know that the Warriors are in terrible shape moving forward, another restart to the rebuild with tons of underachieving players. So many small prospects have been chosen lately. MJ's entire season was frustrating where as the Pats had a playoff run that was frustrating. Outside of Point there really isn't much in MJ coming back, Rodewald should be a quality 20yr old & Paulic should provide some hope unless the defense takes another step backwards then it won't matter who is in goal again.

We all think our team looks good on paper with prospects coming up but time & time again us fans are let down by underachieving kids but in the end we are dealing with kids & you never truly know what your going to get. Brandon by far is returning the best team in our division. Outside of a handful of players that whole team returns & will be a year older. No team has 2 can't miss NHL prospects coming in at age 16 like Brandon does in Patrick & Clague. Clauge was so good in preseason he should of played the entire year in the WHL, from all understandings he dominated the AMHL this year & not meaning in total points just his overall play but points he put up as well as a Dman.

you may have wanted to say ANOTHER frustrating play off run :o. I think we finnish higher than ppl think. lol To the guy who commented on here about our coach look at yours BLOWN out in 3 of 4 games .

chopper
03-31-2014, 03:31 PM
you may have wanted to say ANOTHER frustrating play off run :o. I think we finnish higher than ppl think. lol To the guy who commented on here about our coach look at yours BLOWN out in 3 of 4 games .

I'm not going to dignify your rude comments as I think they speak for themselves. If your pointing out that we didn't have a successful playoffs and there is frustration, that should be obvious. Our team was blown out in three games and that information can be obtained from the box scores on the WHL site.

I'm sure our frustration is shared by Calgary this year. They had 103 points and were eliminated by a banged up Kootenay team with 83 points.

Last year Saskatoon with 94 points was knocked out in four games by the Hat who had only 75 points.

Every team either has or will experience something like this at some point. There is no doubt frustration throughout the team and it's fans. The Pats were the best team in the WHL East Division during the regular season, and will get the Pennant for that accomplishment. I guess not too bad for a team picked to finish last in the conference.

mjw22
03-31-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm not going to dignify your rude comments as I think they speak for themselves. If your pointing out that we didn't have a successful playoffs and there is frustration, that should be obvious. Our team was blown out in three games and that information can be obtained from the box scores on the WHL site.

I'm sure our frustration is shared by Calgary this year. They had 103 points and were eliminated by a banged up Kootenay team with 83 points.

Last year Saskatoon with 94 points was knocked out in four games by the Hat who had only 75 points.

Every team either has or will experience something like this at some point. There is no doubt frustration throughout the team and it's fans. The Pats were the best team in the WHL East Division during the regular season, and will get the Pennant for that accomplishment. I guess not too bad for a team picked to finish last in the conference.

I was referring to the Pats play off history over the last 20 yrs not just this year. The coaches comment was to big hat. Before you knock someone elses coach or team get the facts. Our coach took us to the conf finals the last time we finished 1st in the east and we didnt get upset like the teams you mentioned. Our play off success over the last 10 years eases the frustration of missing them once in awhile.

Trav
03-31-2014, 07:23 PM

Can't see ur team being that much better next yr then this yr unless ur GM makes some big trades like now. Can't expect Howden to just come in and be ur team's savior lol.

mjw22
04-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Can't see ur team being that much better next yr then this yr unless ur GM makes some big trades like now. Can't expect Howden to just come in and be ur team's savior lol.

if he doesnt he'll be gone lol now not trolling but MJ roster vs Reg . klimchuk 30 Hunt 21 Gay 19 Christoffer 13 McVeigh 11 Hansen 8 D'Amico 6 Brooks 4 112 goals MJ Point 36 Rodewald 28 Eberle 22 White 16 Gore 11 Uhrich 9 Dupprreault 6 McCarthy 6 134 goals thats both teams top 8 you may get stephenson back so that would be a slight edge to reg. I dont see your D as any better than MJ's . goalies about equal although we have a top back up in Sawchenko. Interesting to see how these teams do next year. did we underachieve or did you overachieve :)

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-01-2014, 03:29 PM
dude get the hint already.

Its one thing when the person taunting this team is actually funny about it, but you are about as amusing as Polio. People are consistently telling you to take a hike, and on top of that, the mods have banned you for this same thing before. Twice. Yet you still don't comprehend, and you linger around like a bad fart. You are essentially Steven 2.0.

When you make your ultra funny pat jokes, turn down the douchiness or keep it in the busy mj side of the forum.

mjw22
04-01-2014, 04:20 PM

Its one thing when the person taunting this team is actually funny about it, but you are about as amusing as Polio. People are consistently telling you to take a hike, and on top of that, the mods have banned you for this same thing before. Twice. Yet you still don't comprehend, and you linger around like a bad fart. You are essentially Steven 2.0.

When you make your ultra funny pat jokes, turn down the douchiness or keep it in the busy mj side of the forum.

whats your problem :confused: just comparing rosters as some thought we'd be worse than the Pats next year when I dont see much difference stat wise . but whatever :)

brandonboy
04-02-2014, 11:05 AM

Why even feed that troll? The guy is clown, he has never offered anything of insight or useful ever on this site.. Just don't reply to him ever and and he can't pull you or anyone into his delusional little world.

sbtatter
04-04-2014, 07:48 PM
I forgot to mention a couple interesting things after handshakes the other night. Stephenson shook everyones hand, then waited and seeked out Gabrielle and out his arm around the rookie and patted him on the back. Nice touch by the veteran. And Cameron took extra time when Hawryluk got to him, obviously talking about Hawryluks hospital stay.
Steel didn't play much, no impact, but even though he's small, he didnt seem scared of contact out there. Unbelievable difference in size between Patrick and Steel though
Ok, enough being nice to the Pats, normal service resumed, Pats suck!!!

chopper
04-05-2014, 01:25 PM
I forgot to mention a couple interesting things after handshakes the other night. Stephenson shook everyones hand, then waited and seeked out Gabrielle and out his arm around the rookie and patted him on the back. Nice touch by the veteran. And Cameron took extra time when Hawryluk got to him, obviously talking about Hawryluks hospital stay.
Steel didn't play much, no impact, but even though he's small, he didnt seem scared of contact out there. Unbelievable difference in size between Patrick and Steel though
Ok, enough being nice to the Pats, normal service resumed, Pats suck!!!

The pats have been a classy organization over the years. It's good to see that it continued in the handshakes after the series. Brandon deserved to be congratulated.

Young Patrick is a big kid and looks to be the real deal. I'm not too concerned about Steel because he got limited time, and the team was trending downward. Jordan Eberle didn't play for us as a 15 year old. As a 16 year old he scored 28 goals and had 55 points. He wasn't any bigger than Steel when he first came here. If Steel comes close to what Eberle did as a 16 year old I think most Pats fans will be pretty happy with that.

sbtatter
04-05-2014, 03:10 PM
The pats have been a classy organization over the years. It's good to see that it continued in the handshakes after the series. Brandon deserved to be congratulated.

Young Patrick is a big kid and looks to be the real deal. I'm not too concerned about Steel because he got limited time, and the team was trending downward. Jordan Eberle didn't play for us as a 15 year old. As a 16 year old he scored 28 goals and had 55 points. He wasn't any bigger than Steel when he first came here. If Steel comes close to what Eberle did as a 16 year old I think most Pats fans will be pretty happy with that.

I'd say, 28 goals as a 16 year old is pretty uncommon! If Steel turns out to have a dub carrer like Eberle, that's great for Regina

mjw22
04-05-2014, 06:06 PM
I'd say, 28 goals as a 16 year old is pretty uncommon! If Steel turns out to have a dub carrer like Eberle, that's great for Regina

Point 24 goals 57 pts as a 16 yr old . The small guys can put up good numbers and Steel may be the next one. Would still like to see the dub allow some toughness back in the game .

chopper
04-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Point 24 goals 57 pts as a 16 yr old . The small guys can put up good numbers and Steel may be the next one. Would still like to see the dub allow some toughness back in the game .

Point has also been projected to be a later 1st round pick which is a credit to his ability. He is also the only East Division player selected for the U18 so far, which again speaks well of his ability. Petan and Leipsic are also smaller guys that are both drafted. The trick seems to be finding two at the same time. Most teams struggle to do that. Those two guys would change any team they might be on. Tie Domi in London is a 5'9" 1st round pick and a Petan type player.

I agree that there should be some toughness brought back into the game just to keep things honest. Unfortunately they may be going in the same directions as the unicorn.

mjw22
04-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Point has also been projected to be a later 1st round pick which is a credit to his ability. He is also the only East Division player selected for the U18 so far, which again speaks well of his ability. Petan and Leipsic are also smaller guys that are both drafted. The trick seems to be finding two at the same time. Most teams struggle to do that. Those two guys would change any team they might be on. Tie Domi in London is a 5'9" 1st round pick and a Petan type player.

I agree that there should be some toughness brought back into the game just to keep things honest. Unfortunately they may be going in the same directions as the unicorn.

I agree on the toughness issue the PC crowd is taking over.Pretty bad when a player gets a 5 game suspension in the OHL and the word bullying is used in the explanation. Sadly hockey is no longer a tough sport .

mjw22
04-05-2014, 11:23 PM

I agree on the toughness issue the PC crowd is taking over.Pretty bad when a player gets a 5 game suspension in the OHL and the word bully is used in the explanation. Sadly hockey is no longer a tough sport .This passive almost non contact hockey is the biggest deviation from what WHL hockey was know for tough hard nosed players.May also explain the drop in attendance.