PDA

View Full Version : Broncos vs Tigers

trucker
03-18-2014, 04:48 PM
This series is going to be a tough battle, however I like our chances on advancing to round two. The broncos have more depth thru the lineup than the Tigers. Also, if Eetu is on top of his game, then we also have a slight edge in the crease as well. Hoping for a split in Medicine Hat! A tall task as it is a hard rink to play in.
Seems difficult to get, or find any articles, news paper writings or blogs or anything of the like to prepare fans for the upcoming series!! Any suggestions? Other thoughts? May have to rely on this site for all playoff related opinions.
Go Broncos!

Quarter Century Fan
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
I think this will be a good and close series provided the Broncos will bump the Tigers when they get the chance. From what I've seen of the Tigers they have a slight edge on speed, especially their top line. They are a small line though so I think we could stall their offence if we can hit them. As far as goaltending I think we will be closely matched but would give the Broncos an edge on defence. Broncos in 6!! :)

longtimejrfan
03-18-2014, 07:23 PM
You would say the Broncos have the better defence when the Tigers gave up 34 fewer goals playing in what is arguably a tougher division.

Quarter Century Fan
03-18-2014, 09:03 PM
I am comparing the two teams and what I have seen when they play each other with the exception of the one game. I think we have seen considerable improvement with several of our defencemen when they had to assume larger roles and more playing minutes midseason. What's your prediction for the series?

longtimejrfan
03-18-2014, 09:12 PM
to be a very close series, probably 6 or 7 games. Interesting stat, both teams were 30% against each other on the power play in the season series but over all the Bronco pp was better throughout the year. Broncos are a bit deeper up front and the Tigers may have the edge on defence. Being a Tiger fan I'm going with the Tigers in seven:)

patsdude114
03-19-2014, 12:02 AM
You would say the Broncos have the better defence when the Tigers gave up 34 fewer goals playing in what is arguably a tougher division.

I have to agree with this statement fully, the Tigers have more defensive defensemen where the Broncos are defense are more offensive minded. This is the reason the Tigers brought in Vannelli lets see if he can still bring it after signing his 1st NHL contract. Outside of Lernout the Broncos defense is not tough to play against, this is where the Blue Jackets are looking for Heatherington to make that next step, yes hes a good puck moving defensemen but he lacks physical play for a guy his size.

As for the goaltending I think you gotta give the edge to Langhamer, he has a better GAA & both goalies have basically the same SV% Langhamer .913 Etu .914 & when you consider the teams MH had to play on a more regular basis not sure how you cant give the edge to him.

As much as I want to see 2 Saskatchewan teams heading into the 2nd round I just don't see the Broncos winning this series....I say Tigers in 6

trucker
03-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Not so sure if I agree with your comments about us having easy defence to play against. Honka is offensively minded but Heatherington and Martin are defensive defensemen with good first pass vision. Heatherington an NHL draft pick and Honka and Martin both expected to go in the early rounds. That shouldn't sound too easy?!?
Goaltending? I guess I can see you giving the edge to them but both are world junior tenders and both have the potential to win the series.
As far as having two saskatchewan teams make it to the 2nd round, the Broncos have the better chance than the Pats. Brandon proved that in your final two games. Pats had a poor winning record against teams ahead of them in the standings. But Brandon too. But your team is not going to dominate the wheat puffs.
Other than the PA and Edmonton series, with Edmonton likely to sweep, the rest of the matchups can go any way and won't be surprised at any outcome. Broncos need to win in six cause a 7th game in Medicine Hat would be tough win!
So I say Broncos in 6.

Quarter Century Fan
03-19-2014, 06:32 PM
I think what several posters might mean with their comments about the Tigers having a better defense is that they're defensively better at shutting down the opposition. That may be, but we have three defensemen that bring a lot of offensive upside and will contribute offensive points in this series. If you evaluate the two team's defensemen considering that I think we have a slight edge. ;)

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
03-19-2014, 07:01 PM
This should be one crazy/fun series with how similar these two teams are, and of course the long standing rivalry. Wouldn't be shocked at all if it took 7 games to decide a winner, hopefully this year Graham Black is to us what Tyler Ennis was for the Tigers a couple of years ago.

Nothing like the playoffs to pull this guy out of retirement and back on the message boards. Go Broncos!

Bighat
03-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Medicine Hat in 7
Regina pats in 6
PA raiders in 7
Calgary in 5

You heard it hear first.

trucker
03-19-2014, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=Bighat;195241]Medicine Hat in 7
Regina pats in 6
PA raiders in 7
Calgary in 5

You heard it hear first.

That could happen. Don't think PA is taking out Edmonton though. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

trucker
03-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Congratulations to Julius Honka on being named to WHL All Star Second team!! Looking forward to seeing more Honka magic in the playoffs!

longtimejrfan
03-23-2014, 12:55 PM
about the coaching staff over playing certain individuals but I think we've found a staff that does it even more. Broncos basically played 4 d men and 8 forwards in the two games and in both games by the end there were mistakes being made just because guys were flat out tired. Honka's a great player but those 2-3 minute shifts were taking its toll and Black for the most part was out every other shift.

Two well played games though with great goaltending by both guys. Should be two good ones back in Swifty this week.

trucker
03-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Wish I could have made it to those games in the Hat! It sounded like it was entertaining hockey! I am not sure how Lamb rolled the lines, but when he first got here I was pretty sure he had just one line!! Lol I thought this had changed in the last two seasons, but again...I wasn't there to say otherwise.
The Tigers really have us against the wall now and the next game is a MUST win! I am confident in our team and feel we can roll out two wins here now, but it won't be easy.
Hoping for a full house on Tuesday and Wednesday to help cheer on the team!

Quarter Century Fan
03-25-2014, 10:39 PM
Good win tonight!! The Broncos are having some problems matching the energy of the Tiger's number one line though. I still think we need to hit their top line to slow them down. I realize they are quick and elusive but we did have ample opportunity to check them and didn't do it.
I hope we begin tomorrow night and skate to another big win. Go Broncos!! :clap:

trucker
03-26-2014, 07:11 AM
Sweet win Broncos!! Not a lot of room out there! Sure is tight hockey an "sustained pressure" is not so somethin that either team is able to accomplish! Gonna be another tough game tonight. I feel we haven't seen the best hockey that we are able to play yet. We seemed scared to make mistakes in the 1st and 2nd periods.
Eetu played outstanding and I'm sure he will be again tonight. Burns and Heatherington are dominant beasts out there and I'm hoping for a few more players to join in that list tonight!!
Go Broncos!! Kick the kitties back to the Hat tonight!!

trucker
03-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Great game tonight Broncos!! Huge win!!
Nice to see the real Graham Black back! DeBrusk with another game winning goal and a solid game....again for Eetu!! Honka and Heatherińgton showing another game of dominance, makes for a great playoff recipe!!
Good work boys!!
Gotta think momentum has shifted in this series!!

Quarter Century Fan
03-27-2014, 08:55 AM
Agreed! A real gutsy performance by the Broncos tonight!

Only judging by our two home games this week I still think we are more talented on defence than the Tigers. They lost their discipline when Graham Black was skating around them all night too.
If only Coda Gordon was watching the rest of his linemates and the Broncos team and tried to put in the effort the rest of the team gave.
We still have trouble containing the Tigers number one line with their speed... need to hit them when we have a chance.

All in all, I though it was the most entertaining game this year. Even beats the comeback win against the Oilkings. :):)

trucker
03-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Medicine Hat news published a story of how Graham Black and Colby cave both took a run at their goalie. Didn't know false reporting was allowed? I have as much use for lying reporters as I do for their goalie....none! Hope to see a lot of Bronco jerseys in the Medicine Hat and Give a two bit news team some other reason to publish a story other than this made up garbage.
Typical Tiger fans...boooo hoooo for you, "my city gets fludded, our whl team deserves better"...must have us confused with someone that cares! Haha

franchise
03-28-2014, 01:58 AM
Agreed! A real gutsy performance by the Broncos tonight!

Only judging by our two home games this week I still think we are more talented on defence than the Tigers. They lost their discipline when Graham Black was skating around them all night too.
If only Coda Gordon was watching the rest of his linemates and the Broncos team and tried to put in the effort the rest of the team gave.
We still have trouble containing the Tigers number one line with their speed... need to hit them when we have a chance.

All in all, I though it was the most entertaining game this year. Even beats the comeback win against the Oilkings. :):)

Don't know whats goin on with Gordon though has never had a lot of speed but he use to compete and battle and was at least playing smart. Right now its like they are shorthanded when hes out there. He is just floating. He really needs to find his game. Lamb must see just how ineffective he has been. If he's playing hurt then Lamb has to move someone healthy up to that Burns line that can at least keep up. Like Gawdin. He's skilled, big enough, and is fast enough and looks like he's giving everything he has. Burns has been a stud so far but last game it looked like he was alone out there at times.
Go get em in Med Hat boys and then put them out of their misery back home!

trucker
03-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Wow! This series is coming down to the wire! Sounded like we played a solid road game till the start of the 3rd.
Gonna have to win in the Hat now to advance and play the Ice.
Big game 6 at home now and hoping for a loud crowd! Gonna send the kitties back home to play game 7.

Quarter Century Fan
03-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Must win tonight!! Go Broncos!!

Also, please play much grittier, especially against the Tigers first line or we will probably not advance. ;)

trucker
03-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Well it always stinks losing, but we didn't go down easy! A valiant effort on behalf of the Broncos! Good work out there in this series and you made our city proud! Hope to have most everyone back next year!
Thanks Eetu! You will be missed! Hope you consider Swift a second home!
Thanks Graham! We will miss you as well as your determination!
Thanks Nathan! You were a much needed player and we enjoyed having you!
Go Kootenay! Won't ever stop hating Medicine Hat!

Quarter Century Fan
04-02-2014, 11:46 AM
I'm still in mourning but I guess it's time to suck it up and accept our loss to the Tigers.
Congratulations to the Tigers who proved to be the better team in this series.

Best of luck to the graduating Broncos and best of luck in your futures, whether in hockey or elswhere.

Now it's time for football!! Go Riders!! :clap:

franchise
04-02-2014, 05:07 PM
was winnable. But when guys that have scored a combined 127 goals during the regular season go missing, its not. Black showed up for one game. Gordon, Cave, and Merkley? not at all. These guys have some soul searching to do. Merkley is the poster child for that. He just never ever made an effort when body contact was necessary. When the going got tough he left. The only guys who showed heart and desire were Laurikainnen and Burns. Both those guys gave the team a chance to win every single game. I don't even think they would have made the playoffs without Burns.
Gawdin played hard as did a few others but cripes, where were Black, Gordon and Cave?
Debrusk, 17 years old, made every shift count and I thought Heatherington played his game. But every time a Honka shot was blocked, which just seemed like every time he took one, it was a fire drill gone wrong trying to get back. Black and his linemates were busy taking 2 minute shifts and rarely did get back once the puck was turned over.
I really hope some of these guys learned the lesson. Play like you are determined to win, not like you hope to.

One goal from any of Cave, Merkley, Gordon, and this series would have been a real series. It's just a shame these guys didn't elevate their game like expected.

Kudos to Eetu and Burns. Examples for everyone.

trucker
04-02-2014, 07:28 PM
was winnable. But when guys that have scored a combined 127 goals during the regular season go missing, its not. Black showed up for one game. Gordon, Cave, and Merkley? not at all. These guys have some soul searching to do. Merkley is the poster child for that. He just never ever made an effort when body contact was necessary. When the going got tough he left. The only guys who showed heart and desire were Laurikainnen and Burns. Both those guys gave the team a chance to win every single game. I don't even think they would have made the playoffs without Burns.
Gawdin played hard as did a few others but cripes, where were Black, Gordon and Cave?
Debrusk, 17 years old, made every shift count and I thought Heatherington played his game. But every time a Honka shot was blocked, which just seemed like every time he took one, it was a fire drill gone wrong trying to get back. Black and his linemates were busy taking 2 minute shifts and rarely did get back once the puck was turned over.
I really hope some of these guys learned the lesson. Play like you are determined to win, not like you hope to.

One goal from any of Cave, Merkley, Gordon, and this series would have been a real series. It's just a shame these guys didn't elevate their game like expected.

I don't agree with much of anything you wrote....at all! I do agree that Gordon wasn't in this series, but a lot of times in playoffs, players play injured and we fans don't know because it's not disclosed to us. So I was giving Gordon the benefit of the doubt thinking he was possibly injured.
This was a super defensive series. No room on the ice for wide open offense. Black wasn't quit as effective the first half of the series but made up for it in the last half.
I felt as though the whole team bought in and doesn't deserve the harshness.
However you are TOTALLY able to think and post what you think!!!! Just my opinion Franchise.
Gonna be a valuable experience for our team down the road.

Harvest
04-03-2014, 08:44 AM

I agree Merkley and Gordon were bad, very bad but i don't think the same is true with cave or black. Black had a rough game one but after that was one of our best. Cave was consistently put in a defensive responsibility role and I thought played well most if not all series. The one I really dont get you criticizing is Gawdin. The kids 16 in a 18-20 yr old league. He played as well as can be expected from a 16 year old given the ice time he was. Watching this series I couldnt believe how smart debrusk is both offensively and defensively.

franchise
04-03-2014, 12:14 PM
I think I said he played hard. I could have expanded on that and he is well on his way to becoming a feature player. As for Cave, there is some truth in what you say but he spent the majority of his time on the top 6 along with pp time. He was more snakebitten than absent. Just couldn't finish.

franchise
04-03-2014, 10:22 PM
and Gawdin will be names we hear quite a bit in the next couple of years. I don't think I've ever seen a player who is a better example of what a little confidence can do for you , and who seems so coachable as Debrusk at this age. Looking at the returnees the immediate future is bright for the Broncos. I don't think there is a decision to be made on the 20 year olds next year with Shmoorkoff the odd man out. Bow is a solid goalie in his own right and the D just keep getting better - though I hate flogging a dead horse, Honka has a lot to learn in both ends of the ice. I keep seeing him turning that puck over at the blue line or getting his shots blocked. And then he makes a rush up ice that makes everything seem so easy. Removing the bad decisions is a Coaching issue. Too many of the same errors. His upside is there.
I think Merkley, Cave, and Gordon all learned something this series but I wouldn't be surprised to see Merkley shopped. He is one of those guys that will put up numbers when someone else does the work but when it comes right down to the nitty gritty he'd rather be golfing.
Depending on what happens with the drafted players - and from their play I would say they will all be back - The team has a bright future. Problem is so do does Regina and Brandon....