PDA

View Full Version : Off season

shop2
03-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Ok they are done. Who answers. McFee obviously is not active in club development. Coach is far worse then previous obvious to all fans does not use assistant coaches. GM breaks own rule of building through draft by sending a top ten player in trade for the worst 20 yr old in PA s history. Dutchak as a board of director in charge of hockey was a spear head in dumping young and hiring Clouston. Whom has proved to be a collasal mistake these comedy of errors cannot repeat year and year out and expect to maintain a team in PA as a 25 yr season ticket holder I wish sometime at some level wound be accountable. Look at Brandon as an example. They will be top in the east and challenge nationally for the next 5 yearsAnd Pa will suck saskatoon finally made a break from losers.4matbe it's time do Pa
C

Raiderfan8
03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Clouston signed on for two season and Bruno is under contract for next year as well. PA does not have the money just to simply fire these guys and pay there salary for the following year so don't expect to see many changes in that department.

As far as the team goes Bruno will have some interesting choices to make. I fully expect Morrissey and Draisitl to be back next year. The biggest changes will be our 19 year olds. Who to keep and who to trade/let go.

After watching the last few games I am under the opinion that Conroy, Hart and Lange will be back with the team. Danlyuk may see a trade out west for a late round draft prospect, Perreaux will most likley play Junior A hockey his final year, Brooks and Braid will be good trade bait and I expect them to go for players/prospects at the WHL draft. Braid will bring the biggest return as he will probably be the Toughest player physically in the WHL next season.

I mentioned it in a previous post near the deadline but I don't think we are going to be all that bad next season. My early team prediction will be the following. Again there may be a few changes depending on the 20 year olds and if we get any players in return.

Gennaro, Draisitl, Conroy
Quinney, Hart, Gardiner
Zaharichuk, Leverton, Vanstone
Dylan Stewart, Dylan Williamson ,Sean Montgomery
Caleb Seaman

Lange, Morrisey
Stewart, Guhle
Andrlik, Riddle
Paivarninta

McBride
Parenteau

the voice
03-27-2014, 09:32 AM
The bigger question is can the team afford to keep the coach? And I don't mean money wise.

Dwight Schrute
03-27-2014, 09:50 AM
What costs more their deals or the continued disappointments and management errors ?

Sttop
03-27-2014, 09:58 AM
A couple changes to your roster. The raiders have 2 real good kids coming to spring camp . and from what I seen they look like first round talent . maybe bruno maybe made up for the kryski mess. Also look for aderlik to be dropped after Leon comes back. I would imagine Bruno takes the best impact dman or goalie in the first round of the euro draft

the voice
03-27-2014, 10:27 AM
I suspect we've seen the last of Leon. Rumblings are he'll play pro in nhl or overseas. Maybe even go home this spring and finish the year if someone holds his rights. I imagine his hockey dad has all bases covered. If he's back in fall, we better not waste the season. If the roster has changed over too much and in rebuild mode, then he can be traded for a boatload. Morrissey would also bring a good return. Quickest rebuild ever.

Raiderfan8
03-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Any names on the american's? If it's Jon Richards and Jaden Anderson I would disagree.

chalk_one_up
03-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Clouston signed on for two season and Bruno is under contract for next year as well. PA does not have the money just to simply fire these guys and pay there salary for the following year so don't expect to see many changes in that department.

As far as the team goes Bruno will have some interesting choices to make. I fully expect Morrissey and Draisitl to be back next year. The biggest changes will be our 19 year olds. Who to keep and who to trade/let go.

After watching the last few games I am under the opinion that Conroy, Hart and Lange will be back with the team. Danlyuk may see a trade out west for a late round draft prospect, Perreaux will most likley play Junior A hockey his final year, Brooks and Braid will be good trade bait and I expect them to go for players/prospects at the WHL draft. Braid will bring the biggest return as he will probably be the Toughest player physically in the WHL next season.

I mentioned it in a previous post near the deadline but I don't think we are going to be all that bad next season. My early team prediction will be the following. Again there may be a few changes depending on the 20 year olds and if we get any players in return.

Quinney, Hart, Gardiner
Caleb Seaman

Lange, Morrisey
Stewart, Guhle
Andrlik, Riddle
Paivarninta

McBride
Parenteau

Missing Yaremchuk and Coghlan (was traded for, so I doubt they will do away with him. I actually think Paivarinta will get a look but will be sent to play AAA, while Riddle or Stewart might be that 7th guy) from that list and as for Leon and Josh, I wouldn't hold your breath on them returning. Josh will get every opportunity to make the Jets' roster and Leon, depending on who drafts him, they could bring him along if they feel he is best suited for the NHL. That and I too have heard that Europe is another option being heavily weighed if the NHL doesn't pan out this fall.

AAAScout
03-27-2014, 04:49 PM
Leon and Josh couldn't possibly hate coach more, neither will be back.

I think they should keep Bruno, pay him double and clouston as well, will be good for organization.

that's my attempt at reverse psychology cause they never do what I want to see lol

Bighat
03-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Can't take a goalie in the import draft.

Sttop
03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Ya thought of that after. Retarded rule.

Raiderfan8
03-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Maybe we trade Leon and Josh. Would be interesting to see what we could get.

Wapitikev
03-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Ya thought of that after. Retarded rule.Agree.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-28-2014, 12:25 AM
Maybe we trade Leon and Josh. Would be interesting to see what we could get.If you don't trade McNeill and Ruopp then you don't trade Leon and Josh...unless you find yourself a seller at the Jan 2015 trade deadline...players of their calibre will bring a huge return no matter when they are moved, so waiting has no down-side. Plus, erasing a huge chunk of your offense doesn't exactly inspire confidence in your 18yo & 17yo (or maybe 16yo -- Weaver) goaltenders heading into the start of the season.

As far as Josh and Leon not playing here in the fall, they would either have to make their NHL squad or sit out/play in Europe if they didn't return to the Raiders...once a player has signed a WHL contract, they are prohibited from playing AHL until they finish their 19/20yo season...both are 19 this year.

I'd be interested to hear the name of a Euro league that Leon (or Josh) might play in where they will get top minutes as 19yos against elite talent in order to develop as their NHL teams (and agents) will want them to. If Europe was a valid option, then every agent and NHL team would be moving their 19yo drafted players there...Correct me if I'm wrong, but the list of drafted 19yos, let alone 1st round picks, who've fled to Europe instead of returning to the CHL after not making their NHL team is pretty darn short.

And no agent or NHL team is going to let 1st round picks sit out because they'd rather pout than play in PA...and both Leon and Josh are too smart to do that in any event.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-28-2014, 12:26 AM
Leon and Josh couldn't possibly hate coach more, neither will be back.

I think they should keep Bruno, pay him double and clouston as well, will be good for organization.

that's my attempt at reverse psychology cause they never do what I want to see lolHeh.

Good one.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-28-2014, 12:57 AM
As far as the team goes Bruno will have some interesting choices to make. I fully expect Morrissey and Draisitl to be back next year. The biggest changes will be our 19 year olds. Who to keep and who to trade/let go.Agree that Josh and Leon will be back...not so sure it will be that hard to choose our 20yos.

After watching the last few games I am under the opinion that Conroy, Hart and Lange will be back with the team. Danlyuk may see a trade out west for a late round draft prospect, Perreaux will most likley play Junior A hockey his final year, Brooks and Braid will be good trade bait and I expect them to go for players/prospects at the WHL draft. Braid will bring the biggest return as he will probably be the Toughest player physically in the WHL next season.On the 20yo front, you don't keep Hart if you want Gardiner to buy-in, particularly considering Hart's market value. So that means keeping either Brooks or Danyluk instead.

The only real question in my mind is: do you keep Conroy or trade him and keep both Brooks and Danyluk because they work their behinds off? Leon might have something to say on that subject.

Quinney, Hart, Gardiner
Caleb Seaman

Lange, Morrisey
Stewart, Guhle
Andrlik, Riddle
Paivarninta

McBride
ParenteauAgree that we won't suck with the top 9 forwards and the top 6 D-men you list, although I'd expect to get at least one new top 6 forward after selling 4 19yos, in addition to various draft picks, unless the talent pool for 20yos is really deep this fall.

List magic could easily add a #6 forward or even more easily bump some of the 10-13 spots off the bottom.

Andrlik may be hard pressed to survive the Import Draft.

Just based on experience and age I'd give Verrall or even Kipling (someone who can score in Jan and Feb...what a concept!) the edge over Paiver this season for the #7 spot...he's going to be a really good d-man but I can't see him cracking the lineup as a 16yo...there are likely other prospects with a better outside chance as well.

With another influx of 17yo and 18yo rookies, the team will get younger again this fall but:

- We will still score with the players you listed (even substituting Brooks and Danyluk for Hart and Conroy). Breakout seasons coming for Gennaro and Quinney.
- The D-corps is shaping up to be the deepest we've had in maybe a decade (looking far better than it did going into last season, losing Ruopp and but keeping Busenius and Johnston in the top 4). Stewart and Ghule will be fun to watch as they get better over the course of next season. Agree they could be the second pair by Christmas.
- We have three quality goalie prospects in our system (counting Weaver)...time to show some faith in two of them.

...now off to research how the prospects did this past season...

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
03-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Nicolas Jensen played in Sweden as a 19 year old after 2 season in the ohl. It helped him. That might be a similar situation for draisatl.

the voice
03-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Leon is too big, too strong, too good to return. Nashville, Florida, Buffalo, or God forbid Edmonton, will use his services next year. Or at least Europe if that's allowed. The team was built to win this year and take advantage of Draisaitl and Morrissey. Pretty lofty expectations to think we'll replace 7-10 players from this past roster and not miss a beat and get better. There was tons of different types of talented players on this squad. Expect to see all who move on or get traded to have career years next year. Question is who? And why?

Sttop
03-28-2014, 02:04 PM
I think personally that Leon is gone. Last year only the 3rd overall pick didn't play in the NHL from picks 1-6. But the year before only 1st and 3rd overall played in the NHL. As for Morrissey it sounded to me like he said his goodbyes after last game

Wapitikev
03-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I think personally that Leon is gone. Last year only the 3rd overall pick didn't play in the NHL from picks 1-6. But the year before only 1st and 3rd overall played in the NHL. As for Morrissey it sounded to me like he said his goodbyes after last gameHe was saying goodbye to guys he won't see again...none of the 20yos and 4 of the 19yos won't be back and Leon might make the NHL...that's 25% of the team.

That doesn't mean Josh won't be back.

Truba is already there ahead of him and their AHL team has a number of quality Defence prospects ahead of Josh on the depth chart, 4 (half of their AHL roster) played at least 1 game for the big club this season (Postma played 4 of the last 5 of the season, 13 all-together). All those prospects are taller and heavier than Josh, so he'll need to add about 15 lbs of muscle to compete with the bigger forwards he will face at any higher level (which he certainly can do over the summer). Unless Winnipeg sells off a bunch of current D-men and prospects (or trades Josh's rights), we'll see him back here for one more season.

Sure, Leon is tall, strong and a good passer compared to WHL defensemen, but:

- his skating is not good enough for the NHL...the last 2 seasons he looks like he's dragging a piano in the second half...he has no explosive, breakout speed...yet.
- he may be strong enough to stay on the puck while being harassed by most WHL defensemen, but they are small and un-aggressive compared to the average NHLer. While this may be an argument for him NOT staying (he'll only get that experience at a higher level) a slower forward who is not used to being crushed at the blue line and against the boards by bigger defensemen is not going to properly develop in the NHL as a 19yo...more likely he'll get hurt.
- his shooting is still a work in progress...he has a ton of talent but is still working on his accuracy during split-second game-conditions.

...Leon should get a 10-game look by whoever drafts him but only a truly desperate team would risk rushing/ruining his development in those key areas by keeping him for the entire season. Sure there are some of those out there, but the odds of Leon not making the NHL this fall are better than making it, IMO.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Nicolas Jensen played in Sweden as a 19 year old after 2 season in the ohl. It helped him. That might be a similar situation for draisatl.Ok...but he's not exactly a household name and he wasn't drafted by Vancouver (or any NHL team) in the 1st round (although he was drafted by a KHL team in the third round...but he didn't report).

The list is still very short and undistinguished.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
03-30-2014, 02:30 PM
...The team was built to win this year and take advantage of Draisaitl and Morrissey. Pretty lofty expectations to think we'll replace 7-10 players from this past roster and not miss a beat and get better.Don't think we'll get better...just don't think that we'll have a huge flop from Dec 1 - to Feb 15th this season like we did the last three. If josh and Leon return, which I've already commented on, that should put us about the same as last year, points-wise.

There was tons of different types of talented players on this squad. Expect to see all who move on or get traded to have career years next year. Question is who? And why?The ones who leave/get traded may have career years (they better...their 20yos) but will need to figure out how NOT to mail in half their games from December to Feb 15th in order to do so...but so will the ones we keep.

-Wapitikev

the voice
03-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Would be great if he's back. The key word is development. That's what scares me.

the voice
03-30-2014, 02:47 PM
As for mailing it in, you couldn't be more wrong.

Wapitikev
03-30-2014, 03:26 PM
As for mailing it in, you couldn't be more wrong.So what do you call a complete lack of effort, 2 seasons running, from almost everyone who was 19 this season?

They didn't lose all those games in December and January and early February both this year and last year because they were trying too hard. You can't lay all those games on Chevy.

-Wapitikev

Trav
03-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Ok...but he's not exactly a household name and he wasn't drafted by Vancouver (or any NHL team) in the 1st round (although he was drafted by a KHL team in the third round...but he didn't report).

The list is still very short and undistinguished.

-Wapitikev

Jensen was drafted 29th overall in 2011 (1st round) by the Canucks

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32422

Wapitikev
03-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Jensen was drafted 29th overall in 2011 (1st round) by the Canucks

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=32422Apologies...was looking at the Player Bio and History section at the bottom of the page (it's not listed there, only at the top).

Still...a list of one is a very short list.

-Wapitikev

the voice
03-30-2014, 06:44 PM
So what do you call a complete lack of effort, 2 seasons running, from almost everyone who was 19 this season?

They didn't lose all those games in December and January and early February both this year and last year because they were trying too hard. You can't lay all those games on Chevy.

-Wapitikev

Where did that come from? Never would lay it on Chevy or any of the players. Anyhow, I'll crawl back into my hole and wait for the summer to unfold. Complete lack of effort? Really? I enjoyed your posts over the years and for the most part agree on your viewpoint. This one baffles me though. This was a very good team. Rankings at the start of the year were likely warranted. So what happened? Figure it out. Goodbye.

patsdude114
03-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Where did that come from? Never would lay it on Chevy or any of the players. Anyhow, I'll crawl back into my hole and wait for the summer to unfold. Complete lack of effort? Really? I enjoyed your posts over the years and for the most part agree on your viewpoint. This one baffles me though. This was a very good team. Rankings at the start of the year were likely warranted. So what happened? Figure it out. Goodbye.

The Raiders were brutal 2yrs in a role for the teams they had, they under performed in back to back years. I would say the coach has a huge reason behind this but also falls onto the players as well as there was a lot of talent on both teams.

Morrissey will be what 19yrs old next year? Or was he that this year I don't recall & on my phone don't feel like looking it up.

Trav
03-31-2014, 06:46 AM
The Raiders were brutal 2yrs in a role for the teams they had, they under performed in back to back years. I would say the coach has a huge reason behind this but also falls onto the players as well as there was a lot of talent on both teams.

Morrissey will be what 19yrs old next year? Or was he that this year I don't recall & on my phone don't feel like looking it up.

There's a couple teams who have under performed the last couple years. You got the Blades before this year have done squat in the playoffs for 2-3 seasons in a row, you got the Raiders who fell apart this year and last year and Regina fell apart this year. Found it interesting that this is the 21st season that a non Sask WHL team will win the WHL title. Probably be awhile yet b4 a Sask team wins it....Yes Morrissey will be 19 this year.

Wapitikev
04-21-2014, 11:45 PM
Congratulations to Raiders prospects Verrall and Yaremchuk on their goals today in the first Telus Cup game for each of their teams.

Verrall gave the Generals the tie, at even strength in the third, on a fluke-bank off a McDonalds player at the side of their own net.

Yaremchuk's was the 2nd (and winning goal) for the Minto's, on their first powerplay of the tournament. Left all alone in front for Boutin to feed him a nifty pass, Y-chuk put his own rebound over the sprawling Toronto goalie.

Hope they carry that confidence into Raiders spring camp.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
04-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Found it interesting that this is the 21st season that a non Sask WHL team will win the WHL title.Yes, that's 21 straight years since Swift won the championship in 1993 (although the Eastern Division Wheat Kings won it in 1996).

It's also been 8 years and counting since an East Division team has won the Conference (MJ in 2005-2006).

-Wapitikev

BillyBean
04-23-2014, 02:08 AM
Congratulations to Raiders prospects Verrall and Yaremchuk on their goals today in the first Telus Cup game for each of their teams.

Verrall gave the Generals the tie, at even strength in the third, on a fluke-bank off a McDonalds player at the side of their own net.

Yaremchuk's was the 2nd (and winning goal) for the Minto's, on their first powerplay of the tournament. Left all alone in front for Boutin to feed him a nifty pass, Y-chuk put his own rebound over the sprawling Toronto goalie.

Hope they carry that confidence into Raiders spring camp.

-Wapitikev

Yaremchuk picks up assist in todays game and now sits at 1G, 1A for Telus Cup.

Verrall scores beautiful backdoor goal on PP tonight for Generals. 2nd goal in two games.

After 2 games Verrall is leading D men for points in Telus Cup. He and Yaremchuk are tied for 4th in Telus Cup points totals.

Good news for Raiders and continued success in tournament.

BillyBean
04-26-2014, 10:11 PM
Congrats to Yaremchuk on todays semi-final hat trick

Raiderfan8
04-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Bantam Draft starts up first thing tomorrow morning. Does PA make any trades for more draft picks? Any thoughts what direction the team goes and does it start tomorrow?

the voice
04-30-2014, 09:17 AM
Time to crank it up. What's the consensus? Hope the picks have been researched and are willing and able to wear green. Bruno has tough choices regarding his overagers. They all bring something different and valuable to the table. I look at each one and try and decide which one fits or helps the team consistenly and I hate to see 4 go no matter which ones. I suspect some will be gone by later tomorrow. Hope the returns fit whether players coming in or draft picks in exchange. Best market value is now. Whoever they are they will be missed, and it will take til next october-november to realize if the choices were correct or mistakes.

puckdad
04-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Gotta hope Bruno does better in this draft than the last one. Raiders dont have a lot of picks unless some deals have been made. here is a list of PA's picks, courtesy of Alan Caldwell's blog:
Round 1: 9th Overall Pick
Round 2: No picks; PA pick traded to Saskatoon in the Valcourt/Busenius deal
We had an additional 2nd Round pick from Calgary, but that went back to Calgary in the Riddle/Brooks/Winther deal
Round 3: 52nd Overall Pick
Round 4: 74th Overall Pick
Round 5: Traded an acquired pick (from Saskatoon in the Bus/Valcourt deal) to Saskatoon in the Shane Gwinner deal
96th Overall Pick
Round 6: MH Will Use this Pick - Traded Our Pick(118th Overall) to MJ in Shane Gwinner Deal - MJ Dealt this pick to MH in Spencer Jenson deal
127th Overall Pick (From MH in Busenius/Hart Deal)
Round 7: Traded our pick to Victoria for Dakota Conroy
141st Overall Additional 7th Round from Red Deer via Saskatoon in the Craig/Dea/Johnston deal (Saskatoon had acquired from red Deer in the Sutter/Pochuk deal.
PA traded Another 7th Round Pick to Kelowna via Kamloops in the Cheveldave/Kryski Deal (Ouch!) Kelowna had acquired from Kamloops for a pick in the 2012 Import Draft.
8th Round; 162nd Overall Pick

So, We are going to" Build From Within via the Draft"
Hope Springs Eternal.
Looking for a few Home Runs in tomorrow's draft.

BillyBean
04-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Gotta hope Bruno does better in this draft than the last one. Raiders dont have a lot of picks unless some deals have been made. here is a list of PA's picks, courtesy of Alan Caldwell's blog:
Round 1: 9th Overall Pick
Round 2: No picks; PA pick traded to Saskatoon in the Valcourt/Busenius deal
We had an additional 2nd Round pick from Calgary, but that went back to Calgary in the Riddle/Brooks/Winther deal
Round 3: 52nd Overall Pick
Round 4: 74th Overall Pick
Round 5: Traded an acquired pick (from Saskatoon in the Bus/Valcourt deal) to Saskatoon in the Shane Gwinner deal
96th Overall Pick
Round 6: MH Will Use this Pick - Traded Our Pick(118th Overall) to MJ in Shane Gwinner Deal - MJ Dealt this pick to MH in Spencer Jenson deal
127th Overall Pick (From MH in Busenius/Hart Deal)
Round 7: Traded our pick to Victoria for Dakota Conroy
141st Overall Additional 7th Round from Red Deer via Saskatoon in the Craig/Dea/Johnston deal (Saskatoon had acquired from red Deer in the Sutter/Pochuk deal.
PA traded Another 7th Round Pick to Kelowna via Kamloops in the Cheveldave/Kryski Deal (Ouch!) Kelowna had acquired from Kamloops for a pick in the 2012 Import Draft.
8th Round; 162nd Overall Pick

So, We are going to" Build From Within via the Draft"
Hope Springs Eternal.
Looking for a few Home Runs in tomorrow's draft.

I believe from the 95 age group Bantam draft there were 10-11 picks made and only Josh Morrissey has any connection to Raider team. In the 96 age group Bantam draft there were 10 picks and only Gardiner, Vanstone and next year Parenteau have any connection to the Raider team. That is 17-18 players/draft picks in 2 years that are no longer on the Raiders 50 PPL. In terms of building of team via draft many draft prospects don't seem to be sticking with Raiders.

puckdad
04-30-2014, 01:57 PM
2010 Draft also had Tyler Dea, who was strung along last year until he was traded to Saskatoon. That's not a great record of finding "That Ace in the Deck of Cards" and looking for a "Diamond in the Rough" in the mid-late rounds like Bruno said on last night's CTV Sports Feature.

BillyBean
04-30-2014, 02:05 PM
2010 Draft also had Tyler Dea, who was strung along last year until he was traded to Saskatoon. That's not a great record of finding "That Ace in the Deck of Cards" and looking for a "Diamond in the Rough" in the mid-late rounds like Bruno said on last night's CTV Sports Feature.

Thx - I "forgot" about Dea.

I think last years 22-23 man roster had 5-6 listed players that the Raiders had added over the last few years (not through draft). Although all I have access to is Alan Caldwell's 50 PPL - I have subtracted people I know are not on the list anymore and added a few that I know of. The result is that it appears that a third of the Raiders current 50 PPL are listed players.

puckdad
04-30-2014, 02:30 PM
Interesting to see just how few players have been drafted & developed from within who are still with the team;
2009 Draft - Lange, Danyluk
2010 Draft: Morrissey
2011 Draft: Gardiner, Vanstone, Yaremchuk (Parenteau? Finnson? Lacquette?)
2012 Draft: Guhle, Gennaro, McBride( A number of others may crack the lineup as 17-year-olds)
2013 Draft: A stretch whether any will have the talent to play as 16-yr-olds. I think only Paviarinta & Williamson have committed.

BillyBean
04-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Interesting to see just how few players have been drafted & developed from within who are still with the team;
2009 Draft - Lange, Danyluk
2010 Draft: Morrissey
2011 Draft: Gardiner, Vanstone, Yaremchuk (Parenteau? Finnson? Lacquette?)
2012 Draft: Guhle, Gennaro, McBride( A number of others may crack the lineup as 17-year-olds)
2013 Draft: A stretch whether any will have the talent to play as 16-yr-olds. I think only Paviarinta & Williamson have committed.

Your right.

I believe Finnson and Lacquette are no longer on 50 PPL. Based on Telus Cup media they have been replaced with lists Verral and Kipling at 96 age group. Parenteau still on list from what I understand and should be one o 2 goaltenders next year unless BC makes a trade for 20 yo G that he has done in past.

puckdad
04-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Verrall I like, along with Riddle: there's a good 17-year-old (Riddle Next Year) and 18-year-old (Verral next year) defense prospects. Kipling, not so much. Likely a Kindesley Klipper next year. Doesn't think the game very well and prone to glaring defensive gaffs. None acquired through the Bantam Draft, though.

BillyBean
04-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Verrall I like, along with Riddle: there's a couple of good 17-year-old (Next Year) defense prospects. Kipling, not so much. Likely a Kindesley Klipper next year. Doesn't think the game very well and prone to glaring defensive gaffs.

Maybe begs the question of how many rounds the draft should be. Maybe 5 rounds are enough to get all of the quality players at time of the draft. Let the rest have time to develop in Midget etc. and then list them so that you know what you are getting as oppose to "projecting" 2 years earlier. Kids drafted through the 5-10 rounds don't really seem to pan out and maybe teams are doing them a disservice in the long run.

Anyway its gonna be fun to watch draft tomorrow. I think there will be a few trades as BC needs to trade 4 20 yo's as he has 7 on his list right now. Hopefully get some team depth or picks in return.

puckdad
04-30-2014, 03:25 PM
1994's
Chance Braid 6'1" 206 7G, 17A, 24Pt, -21, 93PIM
Calder Brooks 6' 185 15g, 16A, 31Pts, +3, 14PIM
Dakota Conroy 6'1" 181 30G, 31A, 61Pt, -2, 24 PIM
Shane Danyluk 5'11" 195 7G, 17A, 24 Pts, -15, 29PIM
Jayden Hart 6'2" 209 14G, 28A, 42 Pts, -9, 66PIM
Sawyer Lange 6' 195 7g, 44 A, 51 pts, -7, 30PIM
Carson Perreaux 6'3' 195 18G, 11A, 29 Pts, -18, 41 PIM

Who do you keep? Who will bring a good return?

the voice
04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
So when does the action start? Midnight tonite or as soon as first draft pick is announced? This was the year to go deep. It's going to hurt losing Valcourt, Cheveldave, Craig, plus 4 more 20's...(not even mentioning Leon...oops, I done said it). Plus any others that may go. Verrall, Kipling, Parenteau, Yaremchuk etc. will be thrown into the fire and be expected to replace the void to some extent. That's a tall order. Would be nice to get a decent 18-19 year old for any overagers to help fill spots for now. That could be tough to do. Will take some wizardry.

BillyBean
04-30-2014, 03:43 PM
1994's
Chance Braid 6'1" 206 7G, 17A, 24Pt, -21, 93PIM
Calder Brooks 6' 185 15g, 16A, 31Pts, +3, 14PIM
Dakota Conroy 6'1" 181 30G, 31A, 61Pt, -2, 24 PIM
Shane Danyluk 5'11" 195 7G, 17A, 24 Pts, -15, 29PIM
Jayden Hart 6'2" 209 14G, 28A, 42 Pts, -9, 66PIM
Sawyer Lange 6' 195 7g, 44 A, 51 pts, -7, 30PIM
Carson Perreaux 6'3' 195 18G, 11A, 29 Pts, -18, 41 PIM

Who do you keep? Who will bring a good return?

Conroy and Lange would probably bring the best return. I believe they will keep Conroy as "bait" to bring Leon back if he has a choice. Lange will be needed on D if Morrissey doesn't come back or requests a trade. Brooks was brought in through trade as 19 yo so you would assume they have interest in him. Hart played reasonably well down the stretch but has been inconsistent. Danyluk can be an effective 2 way forward. Perreaux is a big body who can put points on the board. Braid can be a physical presence but was inconsistent.

The other important question is who wants to come back?

I think Perreaux, Braid, Danyluk, Brooks or Hart will be moved with Lange, Conroy staying and one of Brooks or Hart.

puckdad
04-30-2014, 03:55 PM
"Who wants to come back?"
That's the elephant in the room.
If Bruno elects to bring Clouston, who was despised by virtually every player, assistant coach, and Raider staff member (except the one who has the same name as a Sacha Baron Cohen movie) back as coach, I don't think a single player will want to endure another season like they just went through.

the voice
04-30-2014, 06:58 PM
From what I gather, the board must be sticking with the status quo. So we move on. We live with what happens. I'm sure whoever gets moved from that list will have stellar years. Bruno should get something for all of them. They will make a difference on teams elsewhere. Guaranteed. Just as they would if given a chance on this team.

Raiderfan8
05-01-2014, 09:25 AM
We drafted a goalie with the 9th overall pick? ***. Ian Scott from Calgary Northstars.

raiderfan1818
05-01-2014, 09:39 AM
That's really strange? We know have 4 goalies all 1 year apart that seem to be ready to play very soon? I assume a trade or two is going to happen, this just doesn't make sense to me?

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 11:35 AM
That's really strange? We know have 4 goalies all 1 year apart that seem to be ready to play very soon? I assume a trade or two is going to happen, this just doesn't make sense to me?Don't count your Weaver before he hatches...he's still a long way from signing a WHL contract with the club. While he looks quite good, he might end up only being on the list to keep him off someone else's until he commits to NCAA.

Parenteau(18) is skilled but will be done in the WHL before McBride(17) or Scott(15) and may never become a top goalie in the WHL.

Seeking a successor to Mcbride was a necessary move.

Dale likes to pick goalies high in the draft; Parenteau was a 3rd and McBride was a 2nd. Since teams can no longer draft euro goalies, increased emphasis on a goalie, this year, does not seem too big a stretch (in hindsight), so they went and got the guy they wanted.

I'd be surprised if we choose a goalie before the third round, next spring, though.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 11:47 AM
Relieved that we pick a d-man with our 3rd round (2nd) pick.

EliteProspects.com has his stats for 13/14 as 29games 19pts 44pims and lists him @ 6'2" 196lbs.

Hoping for another Ruopp might be unrealistic, but...

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 11:57 AM
So, Josh Mazer scored 127 points in 61 games for Penticton Tier2 last season with 70 PIMs...6ft 185 lbs.

Hope he has half that talent against AAA Midget goalies next season.

I can just imagine what Drew Wilson will come up with for a last name like Mazer.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 12:17 PM
I think Perreaux, Braid, Danyluk, Brooks or Hart will be moved with Lange, Conroy staying and one of Brooks or Hart.Conroy, Lange and Brooks/Danyluk should stay.

Hart has more value than Brooks or Danyluk and you don't keep a guy who you suspended for punching the future team Captain.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Does anyone know what the 20yo market is like this coming season...flush with talent or shallow?

Don't have time to do my own survey.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Another big blueliner, Prefontaine, seems to have some scoring talent and has more PIMs than games played. Seems to have grown a couple of inches this season (could be a typo I suppose)...
6'1" or 6'3" are both fine, though.

Hope he continues to play hard and score in Midget next year.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
05-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know what the 20yo market is like this coming season...flush with talent or shallow?

Don't have time to do my own survey.

-Wapitikev

2009 (1994-born, current 20-yr-olds) was a banner year in the bantam draft. Lots of top-end talent, especially on defense. 7 of the top 11 picks were defensemen, including Pouliot, Rielly, Griffin Reinhart, Dumba, Walters, Gaudet, Seth Jones. Probably the deepest draft year that I can recall for a long time. The downside for the WHL this year is that most of these kids are drafted to their NHL teams, & won't play junior hockey this year. There will still be lots of quality kids in the league, though, so 20's will not command too high a trade value, unless a team is looking to fill a particular void, or covet a particular player.

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 01:52 PM
Heidt is not a terribly big d-man but put up points and had more that 2PIMs per game.

Parker Kelly...over a point per game this season and more than a minute in PIM per game...had 3 points/game in the playoffs this season. Hope he's fast because he's not big.

-Wapitikev

raiderfan1818
05-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Wapitikev-

Good points on the goalies and I agree with you except this move will almost guarantee Weaver doesn't sign here. It's too big a risk for him now. Not many undrafted American goalies playing in front of 1st round, 9th overall picks. Why would he sign for a year or two at most to probably be replaced or traded, even if he is very good. I realize he could come in and earn the job, but the risk is to big now in my opinion.

Plus I think when the WHL is trying to get some American kids and this happens it hurts the clubs reputation and seems a little sketchy, of course we don't know what's happening behind the scenes, so I'm no sure. Just an outsiders perspective.

My understanding is that Weaver will and does have a lot of options, but he was serious about playing for the Raiders.

I guess we wait and see.

Fun conversation though.

puckdad
05-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Am I reading a misprint, or did we just use the 9th overall pick to draft a goaltender with a total of 6 wins?

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Am I reading a misprint, or did we just use the 9th overall pick to draft a goaltender with a total of 6 wins?Actually he had only 5 wins in 22 regular season games on a team that finished 12th out of 22 league teams...his other win was one of his three playoff games. He was 5th in the league for save percentage. Looks like 2 of his 6 wins were by shutout. He was also named goalie of the year for the South Division of the Albert Bantam AAA League.

We also took D-man Zack Hayes from that same bantam team.

On the Calgary North team that won the Alberta Cup (along with Hayes and another pick today, forward Chris Monden) Scott was undefeated in three games and was the winning goalie in the championship game.

An interesting anecdote is that both the Northstar Sabres and the Calgary North team jerseys are mostly green.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
05-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Wapitikev-

Good points on the goalies and I agree with you except this move will almost guarantee Weaver doesn't sign here. It's too big a risk for him now. Not many undrafted American goalies playing in front of 1st round, 9th overall picks. Why would he sign for a year or two at most to probably be replaced or traded, even if he is very good. I realize he could come in and earn the job, but the risk is to big now in my opinion.

Plus I think when the WHL is trying to get some American kids and this happens it hurts the clubs reputation and seems a little sketchy, of course we don't know what's happening behind the scenes, so I'm no sure. Just an outsiders perspective.

My understanding is that Weaver will and does have a lot of options, but he was serious about playing for the Raiders.

I guess we wait and see.

Fun conversation though.If Weaver is as good as his stats this season, he should have no trouble beating Parenteau for the backup job this fall despite being only 16.

At 16 he is not ready to be a starter in the WHL, no matter how good he is.

McBride is still very young at 17 and will be very good for decent stretches (as he was this winter) but whoever is backing him up will see far more games next year than McBride did this year, so there should be ample opportunity for Weaver to showcase his skill...maybe even steal the job.

On the other hand, if McBride plays lights-out this season he will certainly be NHL drafted next fall and could possibly make the NHL as an 18yo (slim chance but still a chance)...so whoever is the backup this season would be the favourite to be the starter for 2015/16.

Either way, Weaver will have ample opportunity to showcase his skill for his own pre-draft year in 15/16......being considered one of the best of an amazing pipeline of young goalies will never hurt one's draft-position. I hope Weaver doesn't talk himself out of the great chances he'd have as a Raider.

So, while Dale and the scouts are obviously high on Scott, he cannot play as a 16yo until fall 2015...and even then he will not be ready to start...Weaver should have no fear of being supplanted by Scott next year...and if Weaver is the starter, we'll need Scott to be the backup.

But, if Weaver and McBride are still 1 and 1a in 15/16, Scott's development won't be hurt by playing another year in the xJHL (didn't seem to hurt Parenteau any this season).

You always want to have a great goalie tandem and, while our Defense seems deeper going into this season than at any time since 04/05, we are still far from the top of the list of elite defensive clubs in the league, so great goal-tending will be required this season if we are not going to be sellers at the trade deadline.

Of course, if Weaver does talk himself out of coming here, then Parenteau will get the chances that Weaver passes up.

Which wouldn't hurt my feelings, either.

Whatever way this slices, I don't see a downside.

As you say, it should be fun to see how it plays out; particularly if Weaver comes to camp intent on proving he deserves to make the team.

-Wapitikev

the voice
05-02-2014, 07:28 AM
A bit surprising picking a goalie at 9, but without a second round pick they likely figured their highest ranked goalie wouldn't be there. Derkatch made a good point that they don't want to get caught having to trade away high picks for goalies as in past. True enough. If they can recoup some higher picks to add forwards and d men in next year's draft that will build a team in front of our new goalie. I believe it's a strong draft next year also. Now they need to add some game ready 18-19 year olds to replace some twentys. Otherwise they'll get a bucket of bolts in fall or lower picks the longer they hold on to them. All in all as good a draft as can be expected. It's a crap shoot. Not many ever stick, as posted earlier.

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Sooo the Canucks just drafted big Mack.

the voice
06-28-2014, 02:01 PM
Now that is a surprise. Great kid and someone has really pushed this feel good story and promoted Stewy. Definitely getting some backing and support. With the talent that is going undrafted or even uninvited to pro camps, this team is not developing players to use their talent. Something is wrong when players come out of midget with enough talent to make the WHL but then are moulded to fit a system or structure to benefit the coach or team, therefore sacrificing their own careers. All players should still be allowed to play his game within the team play and not only the chosen few. Otherwise you alter what a player has done or can do and they end up being a warm body. This should be a wake up call.

Wapitikev
06-29-2014, 12:35 AM
Now that is a surprise. Great kid and someone has really pushed this feel good story and promoted Stewy. Definitely getting some backing and support.Great to see Mackenzie getting credit for coming such a long way so quickly.

And good-on the Raiders for recognizing and developing him over the last two seasons.

With the talent that is going undrafted or even uninvited to pro camps, this team is not developing players to use their talent. Something is wrong when players come out of midget with enough talent to make the WHL but then are moulded to fit a system or structure to benefit the coach or team, therefore sacrificing their own careers. All players should still be allowed to play his game within the team play and not only the chosen few. Otherwise you alter what a player has done or can do and they end up being a warm body.So, players shouldn't have to learn a system and become competent at all aspects of the game...they should just be able to do what their good at?

That's a great way to prepare them for the NHL...after all, there are no team systems there...no team wants two-way, defensively responsible players.

What NHL team is going to accept that as an excuse for why a major junior player's performance wasn't better in his draft year?

This should be a wake up call.
Yes. For all the players that think that they can take 11 weeks off and then only show up for the last 3.5 weeks of the season and still get drafted or invited to an NHL camp.

Why do you keep giving the players a pass and blaming someone higher up than them?

-Wapitikev

the voice
06-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Ok. Not what I mean but twist it around and hammer the players all you like. My point is the players are given the playbook and aren't allowed to throw in their natural talent. I'm retiring as I see no point in going head to head wth my own team's fans. Just giving opinions. That's all. Go Raiders.

Wapitikev
07-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Ok. Not what I mean but twist it around and hammer the players all you like. My point is the players are given the playbook and aren't allowed to throw in their natural talent. I'm retiring as I see no point in going head to head wth my own team's fans. Just giving opinions. That's all. Go Raiders.I'd say that the players found quite a few ways to make their natural talent shown in the last 15 games...with no noticeable change in the "system".

How exactly is it "hammering" the players by pointing out that they played under the same system from December 1st to Feb 16th as they did from Feb 17th to March 18th. Yet the team achieved 10 wins in those last 15 games and only 9 wins in the 30 games prior to that...under the same system?

If the system does not allow them to achieve, then how, exactly, did they go from a 0.333 record in 30 games to a 0.700 record in the last 15 (tie-break included)?

I wouldn't be so quick to defend the players who appeared to be coasting from December 1st to Feb 16th...NHL team-scouts certainly do not seem to be...they look for compete-level and taking a 30 game nap does not spell "relentless competitor".

I may not be a huge fan of stifling defensive systems either, but the record speaks plainly for itself...and lets not forget the Dec 1 onward performance of many of those same players last year...when they were not burdened with the current system. Steve Young was fired for their, now strikingly familiar, lack of effort that season, despite finishing with the best single season winning % of any Raider team since 2004.

We seem to agree on a number of points in the past and likely will in the future. But insisting that the players take a steaming portion of the responsibility for the last two second-half collapses seems to be one area where we are destined to disagree.

Go Raiders!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Without any spring camp to whet my appetite for Raiders hockey, I've been anxiously awaiting the CHL import draft (tomorrow) to see what our 24th overall pick nets us. Last year we chose Andrlik @ 37th...Leon in 2012...Knutsen in 2011 @ 15th...I'm hoping for a top 6 forward this season, preferably one who likes doughnuts less than Knutsen did .

I've learned through the grapevine that there is no plan for a rookie camp this fall and that main camp will start early, probably due to the additional exhibition games in Alberta.

Friday August 22nd is the date I've heard for main camp. The first game in Lethbridge is the following Friday.

In past years, I've enjoyed the smallatlarge (http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/) prospect roundups, but he announced earlier in June that he was having trouble getting the post bantam draft lists for each team...and he hasn't given any hints since then of how things are going. Hope someone got him what he needed.

Working on my points-prediction for the coming season as well.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
And the Euro is:

Simon Stransky, Czech Republic, LW, 5'10", 167lbs, 17yo this December.
GMS-GLS-AST-PTS-PIM--+/-
37-20 -31-51-42-27

...for his U18 team this season as a 16yo. Point per game player at the WHC-17 for Czech Republic.

Younger brother of Mat Stransky from the Blades/Calder Cup winning AHL Stars.

Comparable stats (or better) to Mat's last year in the Cze Republic for the same team(s).

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Good choice...and Thomas will be able to help him learn English.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
07-03-2014, 03:25 PM
FYI the preseason games are not in Alberta vs Lethbridge & Calgary. Regina is hosting a 4-team preseason tourney with the Pats, Raiders, Hitmen & Hurricanes attending. The other games are home & home with Saskatoon & Regina.

Wapitikev
07-04-2014, 02:31 PM
Cool...could be time for a roadtrip to Regina.

On another front, good to hear that Gardiner received an invitation to Minnesota's development camp. I'm projecting a breakout for him this year (80 points) and I expect him to wear the C in 2015/16.

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
07-06-2014, 07:32 AM
Cool...could be time for a roadtrip to Regina.

On another front, good to hear that Gardiner received an invitation to Minnesota's development camp. I'm projecting a breakout for him this year (80 points) and I expect him to wear the C in 2015/16.

-Wapitikev

That would be a big increase in points for him, from 44 to 80 plus. I guess it's possible, but only if he plays top line and #1 PP

Wapitikev
07-07-2014, 03:06 PM
There are two positions open on the top line this fall (although Reid is probably only suited to the wing). He was scoring at approximately a 90 point pace until December 1st of last year. Unfortunately, when most of the forwards took a scoring nap from December 1st to Feb 17th (much like they did the year before) Reid either drank the same cool-aid or got stuck with line-mates who did. The jury is still out on that one.

Having gone un-drafted, Reid has a tad bit more to prove this year than he did last year when he already had a ton to prove but was stuck behind a sea 19 and 20yos. He now knows that strong two-way play is important to getting drafted, but by itself it is not enough.

If he is the player that I believe he is, he'll be at 80pts next winter...and his line-mates will be grateful.

How about the Pats, this season...who's due for the biggest jump in production from last year, SB?

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-07-2014, 03:20 PM
Congratulations to Jayden Hart for getting invited to the NJ Devil's development camp.

Good to see his work and skill being recognized.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Began putting these prospect lists together last month, and then decided to wait for Alan's SmallThoughtsAtLarge annual prospects listing...which unfortunately is not up, yet.

So I'm posting what I have and I'll revise it if any juicy prospects are revealed when Alan has time to put up the recent list...or if some of these players are no longer listed.

Keep in mind I haven't seen any of these kids play since camp last fall (some of them never) and I'm not a scout, so I'd be interested in hearing what others think about these players.

Forwards:

With the looming departure of Leon Draisaitl, the graduation of Valcourt, and the required departure of 3 more of the 5 20year old forwards (Dakota Conroy, Carson Perrault, Shane Danyluk, Calder Brooks or Jayden Hart), there will likely be 5 spots open for incoming forwards in the fall...assuming all the returning forwards under 20yrs old keep their jobs and the team keeps 14 forwards on the active roster, like last season.

16yos: the Raiders could carry 2 16yos this fall...looks to be some depth there

Player (drafted/listed)-Height-Weight-GMS-PTS-PIMS

Dylan Williamson* (4th round) 6'-159lbs-20-17-38 CSSHL (BC)
Luke Coleman* (5th round) 6'1"-195lbs-35-45-46 Minor Midget AAA
Sean Montgomery (6th round) 5'8"-165lbs-35-37-2 Midget AAA
Michael Clarke (8th round) 5"10'-175lbs-37-37-70 Minor Midget AAA
Jaden Anderson (10th round) 5'7" 134lbs-5-0-2 Omaha U16
Jon Richards (list) 5"11'-165lbs-22-55-16

*=signed WHL education contract

Williamson and Coleman are the tallest of the incoming 16 yos. Williamson played 20 games in the BC Canadian Sports School Hockey League for Pursuit of Excellence, to end the season, and had the 5th best points/game on his team, as a rookie (only rookie in the top 5). Coleman, led his team in scoring and weighs what an aspiring WHL forward should weigh...however he failed to stick in AAA Midget this year and played minor midget instead for Red Deer, so I'll wait and see where he's carrying that weight.

The most interesting 16yo (and also the least likely to report, let alone stay for the pre-season) is Jon Richards from Detroit Lakes. Last winter, Richards went 2.5 points per game and had a 95% shooting percentage...unfortunately he is just starting grade 11 in the US...so the likelihood of him reporting for camp is not very high...but it would be great to see him stack up against Williamson and Coleman.

Montgomery and Clarke are also coming off good years but are smaller than Williamson and Coleman.

Anderson is good but did not play much this winter and I cannot find out why, so he is a wildcard going into camp...but unless he grew 6 inches since last fall, he will likely take another year in the states to complete his grade 11.

Should be interesting to see who reports to compete for a spot @ camp.

...if the Raiders use 2 16yos this fall then there are 3 spots for the 17s and older...

17yos:
Simon Stransky (1st round import) 5'11"-168 lbs-37-51-42 Czch U18
Dylan Stewart* (5th round) 6' 170lbs-33-27-26 Midget AAA
Caleb Seaman (9th round) 6'-168lbs-30-15-73 SMAA
Danton Davis (list) 5'11"-181lbs-35-41-34 Midget AAA

Stransky will play this year...even if Leon Returns. With stats slightly higher than his brother Mat's last year in Czech U18, and with a +26 +/-, Simon is going to have every opportunity to succeed in PA.

Stewart had a decent camp last year and is coming off a decent performance in his second year of Midget. Probably the best of a shallow talent pool at this age.

Seaman could bring grit to the squad but may have trouble scoring a-la Tim Vanstone.

Danton Davis is intriguing due to his not coming to camp last fall. He led his midget team in scoring last winter and could be physically strong enough to make the jump to the WHL...assuming he is still on our list.

Stransky and Stewart should get an opportunity...unless Davis shows up to compete for Stewart's spot.

18yos:
Ryan Duret (invited to camp '13) 5'9"-165lbs-39-44-6 SMAA
Cole McCarton (invited to camp '13) 6'2"-190lbs-32-43-49 MMHL
Josh Passolt (listed) 5'10"-?-25-33-16 US High School
Bobby McMann (listed last year) 6'1"-181lbs-54-22-22 AJHL

McCarton played acceptably in camp last fall and is coming off another good year of midget. He should be one of the front-runners to capture a roster spot this fall at this age-group.

Passolt is rumoured to be reporting to camp and motivated to make the team, now that high school is complete.

McMann, though listed, did not attend camp last fall...will he have the desire to do so after a decent year as and AJHL rookie (approx 10th in Rookie scoring)?

Duret was invited to camp last fall...may not be able to translate his Minto success to the WHL.

With one, maybe two spots open at this age-bracket, competition should be fierce. McCarton has the edge, but if McMann reports with a year of experience playing against men as a JHL rookie instead of a Midget senior like McCarton, it could be an interesting camp.

Passolt will fight tooth and nail for a spot as well.

19yos:
Brayden Atkinson (invited to camp '13) 6'5"-209lbs-24-29-20 PJHL
Luke Mahura* (2nd round) 5'9"-168lbs-56-26-50 AJHL

Brayden was memorable from camp last year for his size...but his WHL ship may have sailed.

Luke Mahura did not progress on the stat-sheet during his second year in the AJHL. Undersized to face WHL Defensemen he is unlikely to make the team without showing something at camp beyond what he has demonstrated in the past.

...So, without any list magic or players coming back to us in trades for 20s, it looks like we could have a couple of new 16yos, a couple of new 17yos and one new 18yo.

If we add players aged as above the distribution amongst our forwards would be:
2-16yo
3-17yo
4-18yo
3 19yo
2 20yo

I'm looking forward to see who is actually still on the current list and who was added since last fall.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Continuing on with the prospect lists put together last month...I'll revise things if any juicy prospects are revealed when Alan has time to put up the recent list...or if some of these players are no longer listed.

Once again, I haven't seen any of these kids play since camp last fall (some of them never) and I'm not a scout, so I'd be interested in hearing what others think about these players.

Defense:

Graham Craig graduated at the end of last year. Thomas Andrlik will be back if Leon stays in the show, Ryan Coghlan will have difficulty making the squad. Finally, unless the Jets trade one of their top-4 d-men in order to make room for Josh, he will be back here for one last season.

So, assuming that the financially frugal Jets keep the 7 d-men the have already signed for next season, Josh will return to PA and Leon probably won't. If so, the Raiders will have 5 returning d-men...meaning there there are only 2 roster spots to fill if the team carries 7 d-men like last season.

There are a number of D-men in the system (Kipling-18, Coghill-17, Griffiths-16, Boulton-17, Turanski-16) that all need more time to develop (and some need to get taller and/or stronger).

That leaves Verrall, now 18, Riddle-17 and Paivarenta-16 as the real contenders to crack the lineup this year. The first two are listed @ 6'2" and 6'5" for Paves.

D-men seem to take longer to develop, so the early money would be on Verrall and Riddle...it will be interesting to see how things play out at camp.

Assuming that Paves sees another year of junior/midget, the age distribution of our defense will be:

1-17yo
2-18yo
3-19yo
1-20yo

Could be the strongest returning Defense corps we've had since the middle of the previous decade.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Listing Cole Weaver last summer was a stoke of genius. He appears to be extremely talented. Weaver is the wild-card in the crease coming into camp this fall.

He turns 16 this year and will likely decide to stay in the US to finish grade 11 (and maybe even 12, next year). PA is a long way from Minnesota for a 16yo. Plus his NHL pre-draft year isn't until 2015-16...so he may not feel pressure to put in the time, this year, that would guarantee him a larger role next fall.

But, IMHO, if Weaver wants to be NHL drafted, then NOT coming to PA this fall would be a huge mistake...what better way to showcase your talents for NHL scouts (who will already be coming to see McBride) than by challenging McBride for the starter's job during McBride's own NHL pre-draft season, this fall and next winter?

Of course, the coaches may not want to risk the kind of drama/distraction that such an intense competition could cause...

If Weaver comes this fall, I believe he can outplay Parenteau for the the backup job. If Weaver stays in (or returns to) the US, for whatever reason, then we will have Parenteau and McBride here, this fall.

Either way, I'm happy with our goal tending going into the pre-season.

A note on Matt Zentner, who was on the Raider's list forever (and could still be for all I know). Never having seen Zentner play, I was always curious over the last 3 years as to how good he was. After all, he had Telus Cup experience, just like Parenteau, whose skills I was familiar with.

Last winter, both Matt Zentner and Rylan Parenteau played their first year of JHL (Matt was in the AJ and Rylan was in the SJ).

Matt had a 2.30 GAA and a 0.907 save%, and played 13 games...almost as many games as the more senior tender on his team. Matt finished with the best stats on his team, which finished tied for 6th in a 16 team league.

By the time last season was over for Rylan Parenteau, he had played 41 regular season games, had stolen the starter's job, and finished with a 2.72 GAA and a 0.926 save%...on the 2nd to last-place team in the SJHL. Rylan is a year younger than Matt.

In past years, whenever I would wonder about how good one was compared to the other, a friend would tell me, "Forget Matt Zentner...Parenteau is a far better goalie."

While I'm sure Matt Zentner is a talented goalie, I'm now very glad that Rylan wants to be a Raider and not at all concerned that Matt does not seem to be so inclined.

All the best Mr. Zentner.

Here's hoping we see McBride, Weaver, Parenteau, and the new 15yo, Ian Scott when camp starts on Aug 20th.

...talk about an embarrassment of riches.

Good work, Dale and Bruno.

-Wapitikev

Thatshockey1965
07-16-2014, 11:49 AM
What is your thoughts on the season?

Agreed goalies look good but very young.
Forwards look large and skilled with decent speed.
Draisailt... outstanding
Zaharichuk will be a improved
Gennaro should have a good year
Gardiner will be a force
Vanstone will be much improved.

How about the D though.
Morrissey back?

Wapitikev
07-20-2014, 08:32 AM
What is your thoughts on the season?

Agreed goalies look good but very young.
Forwards look large and skilled with decent speed.
Draisailt... outstanding
Zaharichuk will be a improved
Gennaro should have a good year
Gardiner will be a force
Vanstone will be much improved.

How about the D though.
Morrissey back?Settle in...here comes a long-winded answer.

Josh's return is only one of two key factors to the team's future, this season.

Unless Winnipeg trades one of their top 4 defensemen (or there is a significant injury to one of them in the pre-season), Josh will be back for the coming WHL season...Winnipeg already has 7 NHL defensemen under contract for the coming season and I don't think a budget conscious team like Winnipeg will burn a year off of Josh's entry level contract by having him sit in the stands like Minnesota did with Dumba last year. If he returns he'll be told to add as much muscle as possible to his 6-foot frame in order to better handle power forwards in the NHL, next fall.

If Josh does not return, our fans will see a lot of bad defense until our younger veterans and rookies develop enough to fill the gaps, in the aggregate. There's no telling how long that would take, but odds are good that it would be a significant chunk of the season.

Leon is not expected back however (by me), barring an injury. He will be given every opportunity to succeed as the Oilers 2nd line center, as per Edmonton's long-standing tradition of moving their 1st round draft pick-forwards into the NHL far too early. I wish him all the best...he'll need it.

My thoughts on the coming season have been developing for quite some time...normally I've predicted the next season's results between March-May...but this season has more to consider than just who will fill in for the departing players and hoping there are no significant injuries.

The real story of this coming season (and the most important factor for the team to succeed) is an unpopular topic but is the elephant in the room: the last two years in a row, the team was under 500 for the 30 games between Dec 1st and Feb 16th. Last season they were well under 500 in that span.

Some will cry unfair at that and offer up lots of reasons ranging from international championship hangovers, injuries, changes in minutes played, goaltending, coaching, etc, etc.

Regardless of the excuses, those slumps happened in both 12/13 and in 13/14...with many of the same players...despite two different coaches.

The team's record is an inescapable legacy, no matter which way the finger is poiting.

3 or 4 of the senior players who "stuggled" badly during that span in the last two seasons will depart, seeing that we can only keep 3 20yos.

On the other hand, some still remain on the roster and will likely be with the team as 20yos at least until the trade deadline and possibly beyond.

This year's team is no longer top-heavy with 19 and 20yos from previous campaigns, however. The three 19yo forwards on the squad this fall were not here 2 seasons ago (one wasn't even here last season). It could be argued that the 18s and 17s this fall were held back last year by older, slumping line-mates ahead of them on the depth chart and by reduced minutes, as the vets were leaned-on more and more heavily in the second half.

Will the 19, 18 and 17 yo players repeat poor examples set for them by senior players in the previous campaign (or two)...OR...will those young players become leaders, take the team on their shoulders, and accept that the success or failure of this season is their responsibility?

The BC road trip, coming in December this year, could be just what the doctor ordered to cure the December blahs from the last two years...particularly if it sparks the team like the US road trip did last season.

So...to start this season:

We should be far more solid in goal than in the second 1/2, last year.

Up to 5 of the 7 defensemen from last season are returning. There is just enough talented prospects to fill the 2 gaps left when veterans move up the depth-chart in camp. There will be some growing pains while that is sorted out during September and October but things should be on-track after that. A more physically powerful Josh Morrissey will do nothing but good for the Raiders D this year.

Forwards, with the addition of Stransky and the veterans moving up the depth chart (including draft hopeful Gennaro) and the addition of (likely) 2 incoming 16yo rookies, should see goals-for in the first 30 games within spitting distance of what they were the previous year.

So...what are the chances of the Raiders finishing with as many points this season as last?

If Josh returns and the team breaks their legacy-of-slump for the 30 games following Dec 1st...then I'm predicting 85 points (or more) this season...overall a better season than last year.

If, on the other hand, the team repeats their 30-game legacy-of-slump after Dec 1st, then the team will be lucky to get 70 points, will likely miss the playoffs and deal a heavy blow to the draft hopes of players like Gardiner, Gennarro, Ghule and McBride...regardless of whether Josh returns.

...so here's to hoping that each player commits to making this season a success for their "team" instead of coasting and then pointing at someone else for why they didn't play well.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Without the benefit of seeing who performs at camp, and considering that Leon looks not to return but (at this point) Josh looks to be back, here are some possible line combinations for the coming season.

Forward:

Brooks(20)* OR Quinney(19) / Hart(20) / Conroy(20)
Quinney(19) OR Stransky(17) / Tkatch(19) / Gardiner(18)
Leverton(19) / Gennaro(17) / Williamson(16) OR Coleman(16)
Zaharichuk(19) / McCarton(18) / Coleman(16) OR Williamson(16)

Stewart(17), Vanstone(18)

Hart will stay until Leon has played his 10th NHL game...until the 20yo decision day, Brooks and Hart will get a ton of time on the top line...because 1 of them needs to be traded/dropped. If the 20yo drop day comes before October 27th then Brooks will be be the likely casualty.

Brooks' departure will mean a huge opprtunity for Quinney or Stransky.

Overburdened with Left-shooting Left-wingers the lineup is going to have to convert some lefties to the right side after the second line.

Highly motivated (in his pre-NHL-draft season) Gennaro will be playing for the second line center spot.

At 6'2", McCarton has a great opportunity to anchor the 4th line...otherwise Zaharichuk and Vanstone will share that role.

The team has so few right wingers, Conroy's job is likely safe this fall, but Gardiner would probably love to make his way onto the top line this year without shifting to Left Wing...and he has something to prove.

Defense

Morrissey(19) (mid October) / Lange(20)
Ghule(17) /Stewart(19)
Andrlik(19) / Riddle(17) or Verrall(18)

Unless Paivarenta improved markedly on his skating from last fall, Verrall will win the last spot on the D-corps this season barring any trades or list magic. Paves could be retained as the 7th D-man, to start the season, until Josh returns...similar to what was done with Stewart 2 seasons ago.

Ghule is playing to be drafted (and needs to prove something after his U18 development camp snub) and Stewart needs to continue developing if his new NHL-dream is going to come true. Both will see time with Lange during the pre-season and the beginning of the regular season (until Josh has played his 9 games in the NHL and the Jets return him). When not with Lange, they will get regular 2nd line minutes. Assuming Josh returns in October, Ghule and Stewart will be ready to play the second pair for the rest of the year...excelling by season's end.

That means that Andrlik would be on the second line until Josh returns, when he bumps down to the third pair with Verrall or Riddle, depending on the situation. If Stewart or Ghule falter, they'll find themselves on the third pair and Thomas would keep his second line slot.

Goal:

McBride(17)
Parenteau(18)

Weaver(16) is very good but I can't see him committing to the Raiders until high school is done for him in the US...if even then.

When McBride stumbles, Parenteau will be there to pick up the slack and give the team a chance to win. I hope the pair is used in tandem instead of the team leaning always on one or the other.

-Wapitikev

Crush Kill Destroy
07-21-2014, 06:39 AM
...a budget conscious team like Winnipeg...

-Wapitikev

That's at least the second post in which you have referred to Winnipeg as a budget-conscious team. Not true.

You may want to note that Winnipeg has the wealthiest owner in the NHL in David Thomson, and no other owner is even close. His family is ranked as one of the wealthiest in the world with a fortune estimated at anywhere between $16-$25 billion.

Wapitikev
07-21-2014, 08:33 AM
While Mr. Thompson is incredibly wealthy, he has obviously not given Mr. Cheveldayoff an unlimited budget.

The Jets are living within the constraints of their market and rink...they do not spend like drunken sailors because their owner is willing to eat huge losses. Just take a look at how they operate...

They are relatively quiet during free agency, each year.

Their Salary total is 23rd in the 30 team league (according to capgeek.com)

They do not rush draft picks into their system (and waste a year of their entry level contract...Schiefle) unless they know they are physically ready.

Instead of making trades for and signing marquee players, they are refusing to trade players that do not seem to want to be there (Kane) unless they get excellent value in return.

They are exercising patience to develop their team by ensuring that WHL draft picks and AHL players are ready to play in the NHL before they are promoted.

While that all makes Mr. Cheveldayoff a smart GM, it also looks an awful lot like he is trying to develop a solid foundation for a good team in the future...while minimizing current losses and bring his team's expenses in under a budget.

So, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, what is it, usually?

-Wapitikev

BillyBean
07-21-2014, 04:15 PM
I agree in part with Kevin.

However, I believe a more pertinent question is: "How long and for how many games will the Raiders have the services of Josh Morrissey this year"?

Josh is eligible to play 9 games prior to a decision being made on him staying with the Jets. Based on his great play in St. John's during the playoffs you can guarantee he will get the full look from the Jets. The problem is that the 9 games do not have to be consecutive in nature. Then you take into account the Jets will be looking at other players, along with injury problems and Josh could be with Jets longer than 9 consecutive games.

The Jets season starts October 9th and 9 consecutive games would take until October 28th. If They keep Josh 9 games and the games are consecutive this would be the earliest he would be back to PA. By this time Josh would have missed the Raiders 1st 15-16 games.

Then you have to take into account that Josh will be at the WJHC which means he will miss another 7-8 games at Xmas to early New Year.

Then, of course you have the trade deadline......

Potentially, Josh may only be with the Raiders for 15-20 games for more than half the season - or even less if his 9 games are not consecutive.

Presumably, the Raiders are going to have to give serious consideration to trade Josh at the trade deadline to get value back for the future of the Raiders - otherwise, they get nothing because Josh will not be back the following year.

Or do the Raiders consider a Dumba like trade earlier in the season to benefit the team both this year and in years to come?

If the Raiders struggle out of the gate without Josh or Leon does Josh request a trade to a team that has a higher degree of chance of being successful. How do you refuse for a player that has done a lot for the Raiders both on and off the ice?

The fall will be extremely interesting!

Wapitikev
07-21-2014, 05:11 PM
I agree in part with Kevin.

However, I believe a more pertinent question is: "How long and for how many games will the Raiders have the services of Josh Morrissey this year"?

Josh is eligible to play 9 games prior to a decision being made on him staying with the Jets. Based on his great play in St. John's during the playoffs you can guarantee he will get the full look from the Jets. The problem is that the 9 games do not have to be consecutive in nature. Then you take into account the Jets will be looking at other players, along with injury problems and Josh could be with Jets longer than 9 consecutive games.

The Jets season starts October 9th and 9 consecutive games would take until October 28th. If They keep Josh 9 games and the games are consecutive this would be the earliest he would be back to PA. By this time Josh would have missed the Raiders 1st 15-16 games.

Then you have to take into account that Josh will be at the WJHC which means he will miss another 7-8 games at Xmas to early New Year.

Then, of course you have the trade deadline......

Potentially, Josh may only be with the Raiders for 15-20 games for more than half the season - or even less if his 9 games are not consecutive.

Presumably, the Raiders are going to have to give serious consideration to trade Josh at the trade deadline to get value back for the future of the Raiders - otherwise, they get nothing because Josh will not be back the following year.

Or do the Raiders consider a Dumba like trade earlier in the season to benefit the team both this year and in years to come?

If the Raiders struggle out of the gate without Josh or Leon does Josh request a trade to a team that has a higher degree of chance of being successful. How do you refuse for a player that has done a lot for the Raiders both on and off the ice?

The fall will be extremely interesting!Agreed.

I did address injuries as a possible reason for Josh staying in the Peg this fall...but you are certainly right...they could sit him for an unlimited number of games without adding to the 9 game limit...but they didn't do that with Scheifle so I don't see them doing that with Josh. If Josh was injured, would (could) they keep him on the roster?

Good catch on the 9th NHL game date-deadline...wonder what the 9-game mark is for the Oilers (not that I think there is any hope of them sending Leon back).

There would be about 16 games (give or take a game) between his return (if his 9 Jets games are consecutive) and his departure for the Team Canada World Junior Camp (depending on whether it starts on the Dec 8th as it did last year).

Assuming that Canada plays for gold, Josh would be finished sometime around the 4th of January. The WHL trade deadline is probably on the 8th or 9th next year so, if Josh is traded, he would probably suit-up for only one Raider game between the WJC and any trade (Jan 7th home game vs MJ).

So, even if Josh returns to PA this fall and never misses a game due to injury, he may only play about 18 games (25% of a season) for the Green White & Gold...and only 8 of those would be at home if he is traded at the deadline.

It should be a VERY interesting season, indeed.

As far as a trade goes, if the Jets don't play Josh consecutively in a majority of the first 9 games, then a Dumba-like trade would certainly be in order. But if the Jets play him for 9 and then send him back, I cannot see his stock falling between now and the trade deadline, so odds are he will not be dealt until then..unless an amazing deal falls into Bruno's lap in the meantime.

If the team was not in a playoff position going into the trade deadline, you would of course trade Josh, particularly if he requested one.

While I would miss Josh playing for our team, Bruno tends to get good value in an overwhelming majority of his trades, so I'm not overly worried about what would be coming back to the Raiders in return.

Which could make the remainder of the season even more interesting.

Good discussion, BB.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Leon's 9th game would be on October 27th vs Montreal in Edmonton.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-21-2014, 05:28 PM
So, in light of the recent discussion, I'm adding the following prediction to the previous two predictions of 85 or 70 points.

If the team can play 0.500 hockey (or better) from December 1st to Feb 16th, BUT josh is traded at or near the trade deadline, then the team will finish with 75 points.

Of course all three of those predictions are based on Josh returning after 9 games.

-Wapitikev

Dwight Schrute
07-21-2014, 07:20 PM
While Mr. Thompson is incredibly wealthy, he has obviously not given Mr. Cheveldayoff an unlimited budget.

The Jets are living within the constraints of their market and rink...they do not spend like drunken sailors because their owner is willing to eat huge losses. Just take a look at how they operate...

They are relatively quiet during free agency, each year.

Their Salary total is 23rd in the 30 team league (according to capgeek.com)

They do not rush draft picks into their system (and waste a year of their entry level contract...Schiefle) unless they know they are physically ready.

-Wapitikev

The jets don't spend because they aren't a desirable nhl location for a free agents. Think vanek would sign there ? If morrisey outplays their top 6 dmen then they will make a move. All he has to do is outplay the guys in front of him.

Trouba played at 19 Kane at 18 burmistrov at 18 bogosian at 18 sheifle was given his chance at 18&19 and it wasn't worth a elc year for the lockout shortened season.

Wapitikev
07-21-2014, 11:25 PM
The jets don't spend because they aren't a desirable nhl location for a free agents. Think vanek would sign there ? If morrisey outplays their top 6 dmen then they will make a move. All he has to do is outplay the guys in front of him.

I totally agree...that's why I said "unless Winnipeg trades one of their top 4 defensemen".

That can happen any time before October 28th.

I do not think Josh is physically strong enough this fall to play as Winnipeg's 5th or 6th D-man. In addition, Winnipeg's 5th - 7th d-men already earn less per year, or the same in Trouba's case, as Josh would...so it is cheaper to play them, this year, until Josh is more physically ready, next year...waiting another year to activate his ELC.

Trouba played at 19 Kane at 18 burmistrov at 18 bogosian at 18 sheifle was given his chance at 18&19 and it wasn't worth a elc year for the lockout shortened season.Bogosian, Kane, and Burmistrov were all under a different GM and regime in Atlanta, so are not great indicators of what the current GM and player development staff will decide.

Trouba was considered physically ready for the NHL last year @ 19years (and yet he was injured).

Yes the shortened season may have held Scheifle back a year as a 19yo, but he still wasn't rushed in as a 18yo, despite the 9-game look.

Cheveldayoff has never played an 18yo draft pick. Could he this year? Sure. Will he? We'll know by October 28th.

-Wapitikev

Thatshockey1965
07-22-2014, 08:28 AM
Well thanks for the update on the Raiders. Agreed in my opinion that Morrisey is the key. Gulhe is no Morrisey. Not even close and will never be. Goalies are very good in my opinion. Scoring will be a question mark as it will be for all the Saskatchewan teams. Cant see anyone challenging Brandon this year

Wapitikev
07-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Well thanks for the update on the Raiders. Agreed in my opinion that Morrisey is the key. Gulhe is no Morrisey. Not even close and will never be. Goalies are very good in my opinion. Scoring will be a question mark as it will be for all the Saskatchewan teams. Cant see anyone challenging Brandon this yearI'm not worried about our offense prior to December 1st...the team still has players who can score and are not from Germany.

Yes, our defense without Josh will be the area of most concern for the 1st quarter of the season. Good goaltending is one thing, but you need to limit shots-for and we are likely to have trouble in that stat without Josh.

Ghule is extremely intelligent and should round out to be very good defensively and offensively...but, like many D-men, he is taking longer to develop than Josh (who is a gifted player in all areas except physical strength).

If Stewart improves as much this season as he did last season, he could be truly formidable in 2015, think 18yo Harrisson Ruopp in physical skill. I'm very interested to see how much his foot-speed improved in the off season.

A lot of the team's fortunes this season will hinge on the speed of the development of Ghule and Stewart, to say nothing about how much Riddle, Verrall and Paivarenta contribute as the year goes on.

If they all develop as expected, the team will be extremely sound, defensively and in goal, in 2015/16.

Here's hoping they all get there by Christmas, this season.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-24-2014, 12:10 AM
It will be a shame not to have to play against Bartosak or Laurikainen this fall and, if memory serves, Langhamer is playing in the AHL, so no more euro goalies in the WHL Eastern Conference. Darn.

We've already discussed how McBride(17) and Parenteau(18) look pretty talented, on paper.

If Wapple(19) is the #1 in Regina, do they keep MacAuley as a 20yo?

Same situation on Brandon...if Papirny(18) is the #1, do you keep Honey(20)?

Saskatoon could have a very good goalie in Olson, for this one season, if he reports. A Hurricanes prospect, Charlotte (AHL) already has their two goalies locked in for the coming season and the Florida Everblades also seem to be flush with goaltenders. But, Charlotte used 9 goalies last season and the Everblades used 8, so Olson may not spend all year in Saskatoon. Would Saskatoon keep Trombley as the 20yo backup?

Fun useless trivia...the Everblades had Jesse Deckert play 9 games for them last season as a sophmore and 11 the previous year as a rookie.

MooseJaw has Paulic(19) and Sawchenko(17) as their tandem.

Swift Current needs to fill some big shoes with Laurikainen's departure. They have Bow and a prospect in Child, but are decent numbers in Major Midget for one year enough to be a backup in the WHL? Dillon is apparently gone NCAA. So do the Broncos pick up a 20yo goalie? Lots of questions from the outside looking in.

Have I missed anyone?

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
07-24-2014, 07:14 AM
As an FYI, Bdn are not keeping Honey, Logan Thompson or Evan Robert (both 17) will back up Papirny

Wapitikev
07-24-2014, 08:02 AM
As an FYI, Bdn are not keeping Honey, Logan Thompson or Evan Robert (both 17) will back up PapirnyI suspected that. Teams don't usually spend a 20yo spot on a backup.

I'll have to look them up since I'm unfamiliar with either of them.

Prior to camp which one do you think is most talented/ready to play: Thompson or Robert?

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-24-2014, 08:29 PM
The only one he has up tonight is Edmonton...I'll post back about it when PA goes up.

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
07-25-2014, 12:53 PM
I suspected that. Teams don't usually spend a 20yo spot on a backup.

I'll have to look them up since I'm unfamiliar with either of them.

Prior to camp which one do you think is most talented/ready to play: Thompson or Robert?

-Wapitikev

Bare in mind I'm an awful judge of goalies because I thought deSerres was better than Hayes yet they basically platooned the season, and I thought Liston was going to be a winner!!
Thompson appears to have average regular seasons and stellar playoffs. Robert seems more skilled, but he's a Minnesota boy so who knows if he will play junior or NCAA. I'd say Robert's got more potential, but Thompson more likely to play here..... I imagine papirny will get 75% of the games

Wapitikev
07-26-2014, 10:39 PM
The PA list is up.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-27-2014, 12:16 PM
Prospects detailed in my previous post that were listed last year but are not this year:

16yo: Jon Richards; Jaden Anderson
17yo: Danton Davis
18yo: Bobby McMann
19yo: Luke Mahura

Camp invites last fall that are not listed:

18yo: Ryan Duret, Cole McCarton
19yo: Brayden Atkinson

...so, the odds of any of them showing up to camp this fall are pretty slim.

The only one of those I thought had any shot at making the team was McCarton as our 4th center...alas it appears that will not happen.

None of the other prospects have a hope of playing center for us this fall unless Rylan Free plays a mile over his stats at camp, so Vanstone and Zaharichuk will probably take turns filling that role.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
07-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Weeding out the NCAA committed(or already playing) and the 15yos, the following are players we may see at camp, sorted by zone, then age.

* = has signed a WHL education contract

Forwards

Name (drafted listed) height weight Gls Pts PIM League Position(for forwards)

16yo:

Coleton Booth (listed spring 2014) 6'1" 185 24-17-10 CSSHL midget Forward
Michael Clarke (8th round, attended main camp 2013) 5"10'-175lbs-37-37-70 Minor Midget AAA C
Luke Coleman* (5th round, attended main camp 2013) 6'1"-195lbs-35-45-46 Minor Midget AAA LW
Austin Long (listed fall 2013) 5'10" 174 19-37-52 Minn High-School C
Sean Montgomery (6th round, attended rookie camp 2013) 5'8"-165lbs-35-37-2 Midget AAA RW
Kylan Shea (listed fall 2013, attended main camp 2013) 6'1" 170 32 16 24 Midget AA C
Dylan Williamson* (4th round, attended main camp 2013) 6'-159lbs-20-17-38 CSSHL LW

17yos
Jacob Nystrom (listed fall 2013) 5'6" 168 4 1 8 Minn Midget AAA Forward
Caleb Seaman (9th round, attended main camp 2013) 6'-168lbs-30-15-73 SMAA RW
Dylan Stewart* (5th round, attended main camp 2013) 6' 170lbs-33-27-26 Midget AAA LW
Simon Stransky (1st round import) 5'11"-168 lbs-37-51-42 Czch U18 LW

18yo:
Rylan Freed (listed fall 2013) 5'9" 165 36 53 24 Midget AAA C
Josh Passolt (listed fall 2013, attended main camp 2013) 5'11" 170 25 38 28 Minn HighSchool LW

Defense

16yo:
Brandon Griffiths (7th Round, attended rookie camp 2013) 6'1" 205 15-2-45 Sask AA Midget
Cody Paivarenta* (3rd Round, attended main camp 2013) 6'5" 35 11 62 AAA Midget
John Stampohar (listed spring 24) 6' 175 3 2 n/a Reebok HighPerformance Final 54 tournament
Noah Turanski (9th round) 6' 2" 205 13 7 2 CSSHL midget

17yo:
Brennan Riddle* (Cal 1st round) 6'2" 175 38 21 50 Midget AAA

18yo:
Rhys Kipling (listed spring 2013, attended main camp 2013) 6'2" 185 41 12 66 Midget AAA
Chris McKay (listed spring 2014) 6' 4" 200 35 12 116 AAA Midget
Ben Verrall* (listed fall 2012, attended main camp 2013) 6'2" 188 36 9 49 Midget AAA

Looking for Grit...
McKay led the league in penalty minutes but appears to have no fighting majors. Hope to see him at camp...wanting him to be less like Yaworkski and more like Ruopp.

Caleb Seaman will also be an interesting one to watch, notching 73 PIMs in 30 games. The fact that he plays RW on a team overflowing with LWingers doesn't hurt him either.

Michael Clarke is a surprise as well...70 PIM in 37 games says grit for a guy who is only 5'10"...doesn't appear to be any majors for him, either. Probably too young (and a tad small) to crack the lineup as a tough guy this year...will be one to keep an eye on for next year.

Also interested to see who gets invited to camp that is not on the list...only 25 days until camp opens.

-Wapitikev

Sttop
07-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Life without Josh and Leon ? I just wanted to see what it could look like and heres a couple of ideas. Idea 1 was the best possible lineup. Idea 2 is what should probably happen if they don't come back (but wont)

Top lineup

Stransky- Hart - Conroy
Quinney - Gennero - Gardiner
Leverton - Tkatch - Passolt
Zaharichuk - Vanstone - Williamson

Stewart - Coleman

Lang - Anderlik
Stewy - Guhle
Riddle - Coghlan

Verrall - Paivarenta

Mcbride - Parentau

Rebuilding lineup

Stransky - Brooks - Gardiner
Quinney - Danyluk - Perreaux

Stewart - Coleman

Aderlik - Guhle
Mack - Riddle
Coghlan - Verrall

Paivarenta

I don't think Bruno will be able to get anything near what Brooks and Danyluk are worth. They would both be great 20 year olds for a rebuilding team. Hart , Conroy and Lange would be far more sought after by other teams giving us back valuable assets .....but remember this is just if its life after Josh and Leon. if they are back I see a strong team

Wapitikev
07-28-2014, 12:12 AM
Life without Josh and Leon ? I just wanted to see what it could look like and heres a couple of ideas. Idea 1 was the best possible lineup. Idea 2 is what should probably happen if they don't come back (but wont)

Top lineup

Stransky- Hart - Conroy
Quinney - Gennero - Gardiner

Stewart - Coleman

Lang - Anderlik
Stewy - Guhle
Riddle - Coghlan

Verrall - Paivarenta

Mcbride - ParentauI was just going to repost my possible lineups with Vanstone as the 4th center...now that McCarton is a think of the past.

I can easily see Gennaro as the second center.

Passolt could win that spot on the 3rd...or he could be badly outplayed at camp.

Other options could be Seaman, a natural right winger whose hands are not as soft but who plays more physical, or Freed who may have to shift to RW...or a 16yo like Williamson

Unless Coghlan has improved in a number of areas in the off-season, I cannot see him holding onto a regular roster spot this fall...a likely trade candidate.

If McKay comes to camp and shows he can skate, he would likely get a shot at that 6th d-man spot as Paivarenta is brought along slowly in October/November, like Stewart was 2 seasons ago...either showing speedy improvement or getting sent back like Stewart was.

Rebuilding lineup

Stewart - Coleman

Aderlik - Guhle
Mack - Riddle
Coghlan - Verrall

Paivarenta

I don't think Bruno will be able to get anything near what Brooks and Danyluk are worth. They would both be great 20 year olds for a rebuilding team. Hart , Conroy and Lange would be far more sought after by other teams giving us back valuable assets...I missed where Gennaro would go...traded?

People who pay more attention to these things than I do claim that there will be a lot of 20yos available this year, so Hart/Conroy/Lange may not yield as many assets as 20yos would in past years, but the return would certainly be better than for Perreaux/Brooks/Danyluk.

And I'm a huge fan of defensively sound, hard working players, so it would be great to have Brooks and Danyluk back for one last season.

So, assuming Conroy/Hart/Lange go, and that we get draft picks or young assets for them, then the forwards would probably be a mess, change a lot during the season, and look something like:

Stransky - Gennaro - Gardiner
Quinney/Brooks - Tkatch/Brooks - Williamson/Perreaux
Leverton/Quinney - Danyluk - Williamson/Perreaux
Zaharichuk - Vanstone - Passolt

Stewart, Coleman

But, even if we rebuild, I don't see us trading Lange (despite his defensive struggles during January for the last 2 campaigns). Depth in the d-zone for 2015/16 and going forward is projecting better than it has for a decade...but the younger D-men on the roster this season will need some leadership...to say nothing of insulating your 2 young goalies.

If indeed there are more than the usual number of 20yos on the market this year and Lange would bring less than say Craig did last season, then I'd keep Lange (until the trade deadline, at least) even if a rebuild was underway.

I'd release Perreaux instead, freeing playing-time to develop the younger forwards even more for next season.

...but remember this is just if its life after Josh and Leon. if they are back I see a strong teamStrongly agree...and that Leon comes back by October 16th so we could keep Brooks instead of Hart.

...but having them both back, especially by October 16th, is pretty wishful thinking.

As I've said, having only Josh (even for only 25% of a season prior to the trade deadline) will make the Raiders a strong team, even without Leon...they'll just have to play 0.500 hockey from Dec 1st to Feb 15th.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-01-2014, 04:37 PM
The u17 Development Camp roster has no Raiders 16yos on it.

...but Jake Kryski is there.

Ironically, PA made the list because the roster shows the draft team and position of each player.

Looks like Pairvarenta and the rest of the 16yos have their work cut out for them this fall.

On the bright side we won't lose anyone to the U17s in December.

:(

-Wapitikev

puckdad
08-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Added toughness & size on the back end with the signing of Hunter Warner today. Countdown to camp.

Wapitikev
08-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Added toughness & size on the back end with the signing of Hunter Warner today. Countdown to camp.Have been impressed with Warner's size and stats for a few years now, but disappointed he was never at camp...looking forward to seeing where he will land in the lineup.

Just over 2 weeks until camp.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-06-2014, 12:43 PM
...Ben Verrall, Ryan Coghlin and Thomas Andrlik may have their work cut out for them at camp.

If Josh does not return, we have at least 2 spots open in the top 7 and Coghlin's is by no means secure.

So, with 3 possible spots, the current shortlist is:

16yo Cody Paivarenta (3rd Round in 2013 bantam draft) is signed to WHL ed contract and will be given an opportunity to make the squad.

17yo Brennan Riddle (Cal 1st round 2012 bantam draft) is also signed and will have an even better chance to make it through camp with a roster spot.

18yo Chris McKay (listed spring 2014) is newly listed and will be evaluated against some tough opposition.

18yo Ben Verrall (listed fall 2012) has a whl contract and, unless things have changed for him in the last 12 months, is highly motivated to make the team.

19yo Hunter Warner (listed fall 2012) may only get this one chance to make the squad, so he'll be giving it everything he has...a nice 19yo birthday present (on September 21st) if he is successful.

Other players will likely be at camp to try their luck, but will have to play well over their stats to be contenders over the 5 listed above.

...unless more list magic happens in the next 2 weeks.

Rumours continue to spread.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Had a few minutes to kill between jobs so I did some online scouting (not stalking...honest) for Hunter Warner.

A scouting report from June 10th...pre-NHL draft (he was eligible this spring)...from the theHockeyWriters.com (http://thehockeywriters.com/hunter-warner-2014-nhl-draft-the-next-ones/) suggests he is strong when battling for the puck and willing to take on the toughest in the league (and not lose) but needs more work on his skating and puck control in his zone.

Interesting that, on the Fargo Force (the team he finished last season with), he had the most accurate shot in their skills competition on Feb 9th. The youtube interview is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NtfLXHWJzg)...reminds me a little bit of Harrisson Ruopp.

His nickname is Hunter "The Hitman" Warner (after he signed a Waterloo fan's jersey as Hitman)

Was ranked 206th among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting on April 8th, but went undrafted...looks like we'll have a second player with something to prove for next summer's draft.

After the draft, he was invited to the Wild's 2014 Development Camp with...yes...Reid Gardiner.

For a guy who is supposed to have puck control issues he had a sweet stick-handling goal in the whole-team shootout for team white. Gardiner tried a similar move at higher speed for team green but lost the handle.

Tony Dean, Minnesota Wild blogger at hockeybuzz.com, lists Warner in his "played well and should be proud of their effort" category at the Camp.

...now I'm even more interested to see how he compares at camp.

Could develop into a good player in Dave's hands, just like big-Mac has, but the Raiders may only have Warner for this year...both Warner and big-Mac will be 20 next fall and AHL eligible.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-13-2014, 02:07 PM
...can hardly wait for scrimmages to begin on the 22nd.

-Wapitikev

Raider Believer
08-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Kev, you keep making mention of a potential 'rebuild' .. A rebuild of what? The team has made the playoffs and a quick first round exit twice in Bruno's time as coach/manager. How many years has it been now? Rebuild usually means a fairly high degree of success followed by a rebuild of younger players. PA hasn't had a high degree of success for a long, long time. Last season I let you make your usual optimistic prognostications. But sorry, this year I must say something. My prediction: well out of the playoffs, with or without Josh who is not ready physically and therefore will be back, a good player but not going to make the Jets roster this year.

Wapitikev
08-14-2014, 03:42 AM
Kev, you keep making mention of a potential 'rebuild' .. A rebuild of what? The team has made the playoffs and a quick first round exit twice in Bruno's time as coach/manager. How many years has it been now? Rebuild usually means a fairly high degree of success followed by a rebuild of younger players. PA hasn't had a high degree of success for a long, long time. Last season I let you make your usual optimistic prognostications. But sorry, this year I must say something. My prediction: well out of the playoffs, with or without Josh who is not ready physically and therefore will be back, a good player but not going to make the Jets roster this year.I was not talking about rebuilding. I was replying to Sttop who had a Rebuilding Lineup of players that we would field if we were to trade our best 20yos (Hart, Conroy and Lange) and Genarro.

Rebuilding lineup

Stewart - Coleman

Aderlik - Guhle
Mack - Riddle
Coghlan - Verrall

Paivarenta

...That was the post immediately before the one you are jumping all over me for. Sttop was talking about rebuilding, I was not. I was playing along with his "what-if?" None of my posts before or after my reply to him have mentioned it. In fact that post is the only time since 2012 (other than this post) that I have used that word.

As far as PA not having a high degree of success for a long time, I agree...1997 was the last time the Raiders made the playoffs three years in a row. In fact, the team has only made it out of the first round 1 time since 99-2000.

For the Record, Bruno has been GM for 6 drafts and has now made the playoffs three times, not 2 times. And the team had enough points for 8th in 08/09, but lost the tiebreak to Edmonton. So, while I'm not ecstatic that the team had enough points to make 8th place 4 years out of 6, I'm not ready to close the book on this GM yet.

Yes all 3 playoff appearances were 1st round exits.

As far as the last 2 seasons go, I've already gone on record that the 30 game slumps from Dec 1 to Feb 16 are the reason that we ended up playing a strong team and losing in the first round. With two vastly different coaches, the only common factors were many of the same players and the same GM...my finger points at the former .

You predicted on may 1st of 2013 that we would miss the playoffs in 2014...a prediction that almost came true if not for the timely return to form by a number of players for the last 15 games (including the tie-break).

I predicted on May 2nd 2013 they would finish with at least 80 points in March and that such a result would be needed for 8th...they had 75 and got 8th, so my prediction was wrong as well.

You are predicting, again this season, that the team will miss the playoffs.

I predicted on July 20th, if the team does not take a 30 game nap after Dec 1, that the players that Bruno has on the team this fall, with Josh (but not Leon) will get 85 points.

If a number of players take another 30 game nap, then with or without Josh the team will be lucky to get 70 points and will likely miss the playoffs.

On July 21st I predicted that if Josh stays in the NHL until October 28th and is then traded at the WHL trade deadline that the team will get at least 75 points again this season as long as they don't take a 30 game nap after Dec 1st.

If we miss the playoffs without taking a 30 game nap after Dec 1st, then I suspect the BOD will not renew Bruno's contract and thereby grant your long-standing wish that Bruno begone.

What I want to know is this: will you admit you are wrong about Bruno if we make the playoffs next March and he becomes the first GM in 17 years to get the team to the playoffs for three years in a row?

If not then what will it take?

-Wapitikev

Wildeyes
08-14-2014, 01:32 PM
according to the PAnow news. “There have been some discussions with [Shane] Danyluk and [Carson] Perreaux about potentially looking at playing Junior-A.”

And Joshua Pasault is not reporting to PA this year with a possibility that he comes next year.

Wapitikev
08-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Shane Danyluk has cleared WHL waivers and will play BCHL this season. Story on the raider website (http://www.raiderhockey.com/article/danyluk-clears-waivers).

RandyJackson
08-20-2014, 10:42 PM
I see this scenario as a total disaster. True, I don't know all of the specifics behind Danyluk's decision to leave the Raiders to play Jr. A, a lesser caliber of a league. But from where I'm standing it looks like a fairly telling sign that there is a toxic environment right now created by the combination of Campese and Clouston. It has to be pretty hard times when Shane, our hardest working player and potential captain of the Raiders this year, would rather play less competitive hockey than wear the "C" for Prince Albert during his final season. Now not only do we lose one of our most positive presences and performers, but we also receive absolutely nothing in return from a likely trade candidate that would have brought in some decent return from a playoff contender. This could certainly add some complications come time to make official roster decisions following main camp and preseason.

Wapitikev
08-21-2014, 01:03 AM
I see this scenario as a total disaster. True, I don't know all of the specifics behind Danyluk's decision to leave the Raiders to play Jr. A, a lesser caliber of a league. But from where I'm standing it looks like a fairly telling sign that there is a toxic environment right now created by the combination of Campese and Clouston. It has to be pretty hard times when Shane, our hardest working player and potential captain of the Raiders this year, would rather play less competitive hockey than wear the "C" for Prince Albert during his final season. Now not only do we lose one of our most positive presences and performers, but we also receive absolutely nothing in return from a likely trade candidate that would have brought in some decent return from a playoff contender. This could certainly add some complications come time to make official roster decisions following main camp and preseason.I'm pretty sure that it wasn't Shane who "chose" to play less competitive hockey...as you say he is a very positive person. He wouldn't choose to leave if there was a roster spot available for him. But look at the depth chart: out of 5 20yo forwards from last year we can only keep 2...Shane was 5th in points of those 5 players. Carson Perreaux had more points and there is no way the team would keep Carson over Hart, Conroy or Brooks...so it is pretty tough to justify keeping Shane.

Was Shane really going to play on one of the top 2 lines this season, not including the penalty kill? I don't think I've ever seen a 20yo on a WHL team that plays a regular shift on the 3rd line.

As far as "decent" return goes, Shane just cleared waivers and none of the other 21 WHL teams wanted him...so there was no return to be had. If you were GM of a WHL team, why would you trade assets during the summer instead of waiting until October 16th and then get him for nothing if you had an open 20yo spot?

As a big fan of hard working defensively responsible players, I think it sucks that there is no room in the lineup for Shane this fall, and I also think it sucks that we'll get nothing for him when another team picks him up in mid-October. He's been one of my favourite players for the last three seasons, but the 20yo rule is what it is.

Interesting fact...compared to his first 27 games, Shane's points per game went up 35% in the 30 games after Dec 1st...and another 55% over that during the last 15 games...so he improved steadily all season.

Of course Shane's points/game during those last 15 games was only slightly higher than Brook's...but Brooks' was pretty much the same all season, 53 games prior to Shane catching him in March.

I hope that Shane lands somewhere in the CHL on October 16th (or sooner). He was one of the best penalty killers in the WHL last season and I know he'll be successful wherever he plays this season.

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
08-21-2014, 07:07 AM
Was Shane really going to play on one of the top 2 lines this season, not including the penalty kill? I don't think I've ever seen a 20yo on a WHL team that plays a regular shift on the 3rd line.

-Wapitikev

Trivia point, bdn had two 20's last year who played regular 3rd line, Robinson and Meuiller. 1st line was McGauley, Nejezchleb and P Quenneville, 2nd line was J Quenneville, Hawryluk and Gabrielle.
Then those 2 guys played 3rd line with Bukarts

Dwight Schrute
08-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Well I'm not super optimistic about this upcoming season. I would have looked to deal hart and Conroy.
Since according to Bruno the market price for a quality 20 is a recent first round bantam pick :)

Wapitikev
08-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Well I'm not super optimistic about this upcoming season. I would have looked to deal hart and Conroy.
Since according to Bruno the market price for a quality 20 is a recent first round bantam pick :):p Good one.

Not goalies but still pretty funny.

-WK