PDA

View Full Version : Goodenow Resigns!!!

Beaner
07-28-2005, 11:25 AM
from, http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1122568316195_117977516?hub=topstories,

Goodenow quits as NHLPA executive director
CTV.ca News Staff

Bob Goodenow resigned as the executive director of the NHL Players' Association on Thursday.

"I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to serve the players over the past 15 years and to have had the support of a tremendous staff at the NHLPA. I wish the players every success under the new CBA," Goodenow said in a release.

The decision came after discussions with Goodenow, 52, and the Executive committee about the future of the NHLPA.

"With the conclusion of the negotiations and the ratification of the new agreement, the parties concur that this is an appropriate action for the future," Goodenow says in a statement.

His replacement has already been named, and will be Senior Director of Business Affairs and Licensing Ted Saskin.

In a statement released Thursday, Saskin said he will continue to serve the players, as he has done with Goodenow for almost 15 years.

"I plan to continue to serve them by building on the strong base that Bob created at the NHLPA," the statement reads.

The president of the NHLPA, Trevor Linden, praised the leadership of Goodenow.

"He has been a tireless advocate for the players and he dramatically improved the players' situation in every respect. Bob built the NHLPA into a first class organization and we are all very grateful to him," Linden said in a release.

Goodenow is leaving after reaching a deal with the National Hockey League that placed a $39-million US salary cap on teams, which he had earlier refused to even consider.

He succeeded Alan Eagelson as executive director in 1992, and still had three years left on his contract. It's reported that Goodenow earned $2.5 million US a year.

So Quit before he got turfed?

I'm a bit surprised it sure sounded like he was going to stick around.

Triton
07-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Now Bettman's turn.

Jovorock
07-28-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm surprised that Goodenow resigned and walks away from $2.4m for 3 years? It doesn't matter that you don't like the deal, it's what the players wanted. It's not what he wants, that doesn't matter.

Scout
07-28-2005, 01:35 PM
The way he handled negotiations on behalf of the N.H.L.P.A. i think he thought best to step down before he got axed. He handled the negotiations poorly and got his a** kicked by Bettman. Now it will be interesting to see how many players who were afraid to say anything during the strike start throwing daggers at him.

Scout

The_Vulk
07-28-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm surprised that Goodenow resigned and walks away from $2.4m for 3 years? ...
That is before HIS 24% rollback. :evil:
He and all the other non-players in the union should also take that same paycut.

All I can say is that it came more than a year late for the great game of hockey.

Goodbye Goodenow! :groovy:

WHEATMAN
07-28-2005, 04:50 PM
one down one to go, hopefully bettman starts packing his bags and maybe we can get a real commisioner who actually knows the game!

Jovorock
07-29-2005, 06:19 AM
one down one to go, hopefully bettman starts packing his bags and maybe we can get a real commisioner who actually knows the game!
And a commisioner that cares about the game!

The_Vulk
08-01-2005, 05:31 PM
I think Bettman has done what the Owners asked him to do.

Expand revenue and market awareness (especially in the States), and recently, with the new CBA (and cost certainty).

Having come from the the NBA, Bettman has proven invaluable to the NHL. And when the NHL truly shows its offensive side on the ice and being able to make the game once more affordable to the average family (ok, so I might be dreaming here - at least we have the WHL/CHL for this).

Hockey (and the NHL) is far better with Bettman than without.

(The same could not be said about Goodenow.)

Ted Saskin has shown he can do the job with the PA (and the media!)

Bettman and Saskin will bring glory and excitment back into the NHL.