PDA

View Full Version : Pats Off Season - draft, trades, moves etc?

chopper
04-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Hey guys got any thoughts regarding our off season. I guess the bantam draft is next on the agenda. I was only able to see the top ten but we draft #13. Does anyone know of a more detailed list of prospects?

Coaches and management seem to be very displeased about the lack of compete shown by a number of players. I'm betting those guys will be toiling for another team next year. There may not be a lot of movement but I'm kinda thinking there may be quite a few. In light of the rather weak playoff performance. I still think poor goaltending was the catalyst that got everything off the rails and it snowballed from there.

Our top returning forwards appear to be Klimchuk, Gay and Hunt. Stephenson remains a possibility but I'm thinking a deal gets done. There is a perceived lack of depth at talented forwards, so some could be moved to strengthen up our younger talent pool and support pieces. The eye may have to be on the future.

Weigh in guys and have some fun with this. Thoughts - Ideas?

patsdude114
04-02-2014, 09:32 PM
Nikolas Koberstein will be getting dropped from our 50PL & moved into the college list at the start of next season. To bad too as he has the size and skill that we could of used to move forward. PLus he is part of that '96 group. I was looking at some stats and I seen the [C] around his name in the stat sheet as a committed player so I dug abit deeper and found this...

http://www.ajhl.ca/media-centre/news-archives.html?newsID=3940

chopper
04-02-2014, 11:06 PM
The 96's are getting thin. I don't see Mumby coming back. He was scratched a lot down the stretch and three games in the playoffs I think. Brooks point totals dropped this year to 11pts from 12pts in his rookie year. I don't think he's shown enough to return.

I often thought we should have made a play for Michael Holub 6'1" - 190 lbs. He was drafted in the 3rd round as a power forward. Ty Mappin had more points than Brooks in his rookie year (17pts) and has a lot of upside. He never fit in with Constantine this season. Both Lethbridge and Saskatoon respectively got these guys very cheap. Kammerer is a 96 but I again am not convinced he will be asked back. 0 pts, small, and not a ton of upside. IMO We can't afford an 18 year old project. I could be wrong but I don't see it.

Many years ago we brought Ron Flockhart in from a Jr A team in Revelstoke BC. I think we need to beat the bushes and leagues coast to coast to perhaps find some pieces to help us in that age bracket. 96's are the back bone to WHL teams this year.

RWAH
04-03-2014, 10:55 AM
I have two comments for next year.
We have too many (95s). ten in total and two are tenders.
We have only 4 tenders on the PPL and MacAuley will not be back as a (94) so we have only three. Two 19s and a 16. Chapman was the fourth best tender in his midget league this season but IMO to have him as a backup and play 15 to 18 games will not help develope him as much as playing midget as a starter and getting 30 or 40 or 50 games.
So once again, a few tweet trades, the loss of some mid to late round draft picks and the merry-go-round just keeps on spinning.

chopper
04-03-2014, 01:51 PM
So once again, a few tweet trades, the loss of some mid to late round draft picks and the merry-go-round just keeps on spinning.

There are no truer words spoken and it's prophetic about the merry-go-round. We have tried so many ways to turn this ship around except the way the other winning franchises do. I have often wondered why we wouldn't use non returning assets to assemble as much 17 year old talent, and younger prospects as we possibly can. We could then supplement them with some older guys, and 20 year olds. Let them develop through a season and then hit the ground running with an abundance of high end talent the following season. As that group moves through their 18 and 19 seasons, you would have something special. I hope some lessons were learned last season and something different emerges. The concept of limping out into the regular season, waiting a month and then start adding 5-7 players between then and the deadline doesn't work. It hasn't in the past and didn't last year. We need to start think outside the box for a change. Hopefully they do.

patsdude114
04-03-2014, 05:54 PM
I have two comments for next year.
We have too many (95s). ten in total and two are tenders.
We have only 4 tenders on the PPL and MacAuley will not be back as a (94) so we have only three. Two 19s and a 16. Chapman was the fourth best tender in his midget league this season but IMO to have him as a backup and play 15 to 18 games will not help develope him as much as playing midget as a starter and getting 30 or 40 or 50 games.

Why even bother trading for a 17 or 18yr old goalie when we know Wapple will be here for 2 more years. Chapman will be the backup at age 17 and be ready to play as a 18yr old (hopefully). Fuhr is nothing more then a backup goalie anyways so why not just use him as a 19yr old backup & save ourselves a draft pick for a fill in backup until Chapman is more developed?

I fully agree Chapman needs to stay in midget next season and play as many minutes as possible. At 16yrs old there is no need to have him on the roster as sitting on the bench will do him no good.

Krammerer better not return next season yes they drafted him as a project but that project failed terribly. If he would of put up 15-20pts then by all means bring him back to see if he could build on that.

chopper
04-04-2014, 01:12 PM
I have mixed feelings regarding the backup goalie, but no way should we be giving up picks to get one. We have used 16 year olds in the past successfully, in fact we were using Schneider before we traded him. It now looks like he will be carrying the load for Med hat next season. It can be done on a good defensive team. If Chapman is not kept I think Fuhr should be given a decent shot at backup. That is provided he wants that role as a 19 year old. Maybe a 17 or 18 year old emerges from somewhere.

IMO the following look like pieces that will or should be moved. I think some of them could be used to get draft picks or upgrade our 96 talent. That is kind of a laugh since three of them are 96's.

MacAuley - obvious
Christopher (doesn't have the toughness to fill Stevensons role barely 5'10")
Brooks - hasn't progressed, fewer points than his rookie year
Mumby - limited progression. A bit undersized. Not strong
Kammerer - project that failed. Should have used Cole or Kroeker in his spot

A lot has to do with Stephenson and Klimchuk. I think Klimchuk will be back but I'm not sure about Stephenson. I think he will get a contract but they still have to find a place for him in the AHL. If he were returned to junior I think it's a toss up if they would keep him or trade him for assets. He was very poor in the playoffs so you don't know.

patsdude114
04-04-2014, 02:11 PM
I have mixed feelings regarding the backup goalie, but no way should we be giving up picks to get one. We have used 16 year olds in the past successfully, in fact we were using Schneider before we traded him. It now looks like he will be carrying the load for Med hat next season. It can be done on a good defensive team. If Chapman is not kept I think Fuhr should be given a decent shot at backup. That is provided he wants that role as a 19 year old. Maybe a 17 or 18 year old emerges from somewhere.

The thing with Schneider though is they had every intention of having him play midget this season but due to Sacher leaving the team and Engel not working out they were forced to bring him in from midget.

IMO the following look like pieces that will or should be moved. I think some of them could be used to get draft picks or upgrade our 96 talent. That is kind of a laugh since three of them are 96's.

MacAuley - obvious
Christopher (doesn't have the toughness to fill Stevensons role barely 5'10")
Brooks - hasn't progressed, fewer points than his rookie year
Mumby - limited progression. A bit undersized. Not strong
Kammerer - project that failed. Should have used Cole or Kroeker in his spot.

No one takes a chance on MacAuley in the WHL, he will be flat out released soon (if he hasn't been already). He is not worth a 20yr old goalie spot on any team in this league, he will be back into his comfort zone in Jr. A where he will prob excel & be 1 of the best goalies in the SJHL (again). I doubt any team would even consider giving a 10th rd pick for him.

Brooks you may be able to get a 3rd or 4th for him at most but again he hasn't really progressed much and is very small, most small guys in this league have skill that separate them that make them become an asset to a team.

Mumby be lucky to get a 5th or 6th round pick for, very weak skater only play he excelled in was pinning a guy along the boards. Hes a very smart kid and has some good hockey sense just his skating really hurts him.

Krammerer I do believe/hope will be flat out released back into the euro draft. I doubt any team has any interest in him as he showed no offensive flare at all this year and his 3pts shows it.

Christoffer I do believe has alittle trade value to some team but I do think he will be with us at training camp to battle it out and maybe see if he can find his offensive game right away. He does have some skill and competes to his fullest every shift. He is a lesser version of Stevenson.
Stevenson scored
16goals as a 19yr old
15goals as a 18yr old

Christoffer scored
13goals as a 19yr old
11goals as a 18yr old
Now by no means would I think that Christoffer would put up 30goals as a 20yr old but in all honesty did anyone truly think Dyson would score 38times this past season? I highly doubt it. If Christoffer could score 20-25 that would be a good 20yr for most teams.

A lot has to do with Stephenson and Klimchuk. I think Klimchuk will be back but I'm not sure about Stephenson. I think he will get a contract but they still have to find a place for him in the AHL. If he were returned to junior I think it's a toss up if they would keep him or trade him for assets. He was very poor in the playoffs so you don't know.

I fully expect Klimchuk to be back as a 19yr old as well, the Flames will be picking in the top 3 (no less then 4th depending on who wins the draft lottery) whoever they select will leap Klimchuk on the depth chart unless its a defenseman they draft but defense wasn't the Flames problem this past season it was scoring goals. At 1 point this year they had 4goals in a span of 9 games.

As for Stephenson if/once he gets that contract from WSH he will not be back, this is the same team that kept Mitchell up as a 20yr old and by no means was his offensive game ready for pro hockey. The NHL has an agreement with the ECHL to fill in their rosters as well and guess what that becomes the CHL's quality 20yr olds, more then 1/2 the time the NHL don't care if its the best for that player or not they could careless if they ruin a player who will never see a NHL game. As long as they fill there commitments of getting players for the ECHL that's all that they care about.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Someone told me once that you cant spell scrappy without crappy. We could learn from that.

I think that even if put band aids on this spot and that spot, the constant is that we desperately need toughness AND size. No more mitchells or stevensons being the final fix. Unless we find the second coming of Rypien(RIP), we need(not just want) a large power forward or even just an enforcer that intimidates the other team. Especially if we don't want Steel to be the next victim of another team playing overly confident in a break from difficult matchups.

When we had Myles Stoesz, this team had a swagger that I havnt seen since. Those guys are good for team morale and confidence even if they don't QB the PP. Yeah I know its a league for wimps now where pathetic things like players get suspended for bullying happen, but if we have an honest to god physical threat on the team, not only will other teams dial it back but our players will be more confident knowing someone like that has their backs.

It worked for Brandon when they had that douchebag Ferland pile driving Weal, and it works for Medicine Hat now. You think their 5'8 runts would be fore checking like that if they didn't have Doty on the bench or big dmen like lewington? And do you think punks like hawryuk would make liberal headshots if they had to actually be accountable from those guys instead of a time out for a few minutes or couple games? He would curl up in the fetal position and probably quit hockey Pilton-style to throw lead rocks for some poopbutt Manitoba rink.

And its why Edmonton will go to the final pretty much untouched. Moroz is a player I want, but probably wont get. Even the soft Broncos have Lernout now that Nedomel isnt there now.

What I would like to see is a 20 year old picked up, and the three others likely in the running to fight for another spot. A new defenceman too to fill in for the Russian, and then I want to see them make a pitch for an established big penalty minute leader.

Better yet, I want them to travel back in time and get Teubert back. This team misses that presence.

RWAH
04-04-2014, 03:12 PM
To trade you need another team wanting what you are offering so I don't see any trade for Kammerer, Mumby or Brooks unless we are talking about and to Lethbridge.
SAJ I fully agree every team needs toughness, enough to keep the other teams honest and enough to give your team swagger. Along those lines we listed a Robbie Fulton, 6' 5'' and 235 lbs and a 100 pim in Midget (big and an attitude) I thought we were moving that way, but he was dropped from our PPL???
On size both Smith and Schoiler are 6'2'' or more but again young, they will be impact player in a year or two

patsdude114
04-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Along those lines we listed a Robbie Fulton, 6' 5'' and 235 lbs and a 100 pim in Midget (big and an attitude) I thought we were moving that way, but he was dropped from our PPL???

I really thought Fulton had a spot on this team moving forward, he is the exact type of player that this franchise is missing.... a big physical bruising type defenseman. Every shift he had during training camp he scared the opposition (among his peers) going into the corners. He was willing to drop the mits every shift & I believe he did twice as well if my memory serves me correct. Yes his skating and skill set had issues but those things can be worked on I mean my god we still kept Mumby on this roster Boogaard'd

chopper
04-04-2014, 06:00 PM
A Robbie Fulton type player is exactly the type we need to keep on our back end. He would be a work in progress but after he beat he snot out of a couple guys, he would get a lot more space. Our players would know they have him around to take care of business. Of all the tough guy forwards out there I can't remember a single one coming into the league that wasn't a work in progress. Edmonton has Mitch Morosz who might be an exception. They also have Brandon Baddock who may be as tough as Morosz. Keegan Kanzig wishes he didn't meet him. Nobody pushes the Oil Kings around.

Stevenson was a tough kid since when he played one game here as a 16 year old. He got into a tough scrap, and you knew he would be valuable. He was a natural leader on this team and as he went so did the team. He was our leading scorer in the four game playoffs with MJ. He was a middleweight who did all our heavyweight work. Honestly he is handful but not a true heavyweight but at 6' maybe -185 he wasn't big enough to be a true enforcer.

Christopher is a valuable player but he is only 5'9-5'10 -185 so he simply isn't big enough to be an enforcer. He is tough kid who came along as a player but I have never seen any leadership qualities in him. He could be a gritty winger who may score 20 goals and have 100+ minutes in penalties. He tends to be quite undisciplined taking a lot of minor penalties. As a 20 year old will he be an impact 20 year old???? Sinitsyn, McVeigh, , D'Amico appear to realistically be the other 20 year olds we will have back.

Sinitsyn would take up both a 20 yr spot and an import spot. He was poor down the stretch and playoffs. His brain fart probably kept the team from eliminating Brandon on the last home game of the regular season. He is offensively gifted but you need to play defence, and he was an adventure in that role. Even if he's available I don't know if they keep him. Risky!

D'amico - his numbers were close to Christopher's while playing fewer games. he is bigger and skates well. Hits hard. not a fighter.

McVeigh - ??? not convinced yet

I would call this bunch just adequate but nothing close to exceptional. Depending on what's around things could really change up a lot.
With Steel, Kroeker, Smith, and perhaps Cole coming on stream this season I think obtaining some toughness should be a priority. I'm talking guys that are 6'3 - 200 and will scrap. one on defence and two up front. Hand could be in the equation but he is so fragile with all his concussions. He is also rather slight at 6'3' -185. It could be one fight and out for the season. I think we want genuine tough guys who can play and are durable enough to last the season.

I think we will be pretty young next year so we better look after these kids coming in.

booboo
04-04-2014, 06:50 PM
You guys are living in a "I hope world". You had your chance this year to make some noise in the playoffs and sh'' the bed. Do you really think you will have a good team next year with all your underachievers back? Dream on. What 17 or 16 year olds do you have that are top prospects?? If you don't get Klimchuck and C. Stephenson back next year you are in deep doo doo.:dead:

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
04-04-2014, 07:14 PM
I guess they better all retire then since trying is basically the first step towards failure.

Instead we should all support the mini wheats, since they'll need all the help they can get against a real team. No amount of cheapshots or yapping from McCrimmon will get them that series, especially without the opposition goaltender handing away games.

Brandon will get pummelled and you can continue chasing mascots, and looking for negative attention on other teams' forums.

booboo
04-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I guess they better all retire then since trying is basically the first step towards failure.

Instead we should all support the mini wheats, since they'll need all the help they can get against a real team. No amount of cheapshots or yapping from McCrimmon will get them that series, especially without the opposition goaltender handing away games.

Brandon will get pummelled and you can continue chasing mascots, and looking for negative attention on other teams' forums.

Your name suits you. I'll remind you next year about your poison

LongTimeFan
04-04-2014, 09:06 PM
To trade you need another team wanting what you are offering so I don't see any trade for Kammerer, Mumby or Brooks unless we are talking about and to Lethbridge.

I agree there is hope for you dealing with Lethbridge. If you package those three together, you can probably pick up their first round pick this year and next, although you may have to throw Beukeboom in to top it up.

patsdude114
04-04-2014, 09:12 PM
I agree there is hope for you dealing with Lethbridge. If you package those three together, you can probably pick up their first round pick this year and next, although you may have to throw Beukeboom in to top it up.

those 3 packaged together still wouldn't even get you a 5th or 6th round pick, also we don't have Beukeboom anymore he played in PG this year. LETH would have zero use for those players anyways.

LongTimeFan
04-04-2014, 09:18 PM
those 3 packaged together still wouldn't even get you a 5th or 6th round pick, also we don't have Beukeboom anymore he played in PG this year. LETH would have zero use for those players anyways.

LOL, I was being sarcastic. Did you happen to see the trades they made with Brandon? If there was ever a possibility to trade a player who's no longer on your roster, it would be to Lethbridge!

chopper
04-04-2014, 09:50 PM
You guys are living in a "I hope world". You had your chance this year to make some noise in the playoffs and sh'' the bed. Do you really think you will have a good team next year with all your underachievers back? Dream on. What 17 or 16 year olds do you have that are top prospects?? If you don't get Klimchuck and C. Stephenson back next year you are in deep doo doo.:dead:

Feel free to post anytime...providing you can conduct yourself like a mature individual, as difficult as that may be.

There is no point referring to you in any derogatory terms... I'm sure you've heard them all before and are accustomed to them.

Your ability to tell the future is uncanny, and impressive.. however best served on the Brandon site that nobody cares about.

Have a nice summer:)

chopper
04-04-2014, 10:16 PM
LOL, I was being sarcastic. Did you happen to see the trades they made with Brandon? If there was ever a possibility to trade a player who's no longer on your roster, it would be to Lethbridge!

I'm thinking Lang should be talking heavy with Robson. Considering how little it took for him to move down in the draft last year. He might take MacAuley, Kammerer and our 13th for his 2nd overall pick.:)

patsdude114
04-04-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm thinking Lang should be talking heavy with Robson. Considering how little it took for him to move down in the draft last year. He might take MacAuley, Kammerer and our 13th for his 2nd overall pick.:)

Now this post I caan see the sarcasm in.........

booboo
04-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Feel free to post anytime...providing you can conduct yourself like a mature individual, as difficult as that may be.

There is no point referring to you in any derogatory terms... I'm sure you've heard them all before and are accustomed to them.

Your ability to tell the future is uncanny, and impressive.. however best served on the Brandon site that nobody cares about.

I guess "denial" is not just a river in Egypt. We'll see who is right.

chopper
04-05-2014, 09:39 AM
I guess "denial" is not just a river in Egypt. We'll see who is right.

Very clearly your someone who needs constant validation. So let's make you happy and complete you. Based on your ability to see into the future we'll call you "right"..OK. It seems you have a need to be right so now that you've been validated, please go away. You don't seem to get your not wanted on this forum, so please do us all a favour and spend your time elsewhere. We the less informed will learn to do just fine without you.

booboo
04-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Very clearly your someone who needs constant validation. So let's make you happy and complete you. Based on your ability to see into the future we'll call you "right"..OK. It seems you have a need to be right so now that you've been validated, please go away. You don't seem to get your not wanted on this forum, so please do us all a favour and spend your time elsewhere. We the less informed will learn to do just fine without you.

I take it you own/run this forum for Patsies fans to fantasize about what could be in the real world. Have a good summer also. Just jerking your chain man Relax.

chopper
04-05-2014, 01:39 PM
Now this post I caan see the sarcasm in.........

I have my moments..LOL:D

Watched the Portland WinterHawks last night on Shaw and man did they destroy Victoria. I know Kelowna was rated #1 in the CHL but I don't see how they get by the Hawks. They are back defensively as quickly as they are on offence. The D makes one or two quick passes and they are gone. Everything starts with their outlet passes. Quick passes from the D to forwards in motion. It's really nice to watch and something to admire. They operate more like a basketball team.

They are truly elite and in my mind something to emulate.

chopper
04-05-2014, 11:45 PM
I haven't see any of the Kelowna/Seattle games but I have watched the WinterHawks/Royals. That Portland team looks like a machine to me. And yes Adam Rossignol is on the roster and playing a regular shift...lol

patsdude114
04-06-2014, 12:51 AM
And yes Adam Rossignol is on the roster and playing a regular shift...lol

You would of thought that Portland could of found a better 20yr old to fill in that spot. I mean heck even ex-Pat Ouellette is 10times the player as Rossignol is, im sure there is more then a few names out there that they could of used instead of Adam

chopper
04-06-2014, 10:17 AM
You would of thought that Portland could of found a better 20yr old to fill in that spot. I mean heck even ex-Pat Ouellette is 10times the player as Rossignol is, im sure there is more then a few names out there that they could of used instead of Adam

Ya..I about fell off my couch when I seen him out there.

I was most impressed when the interviewed Don Hay on the Shaw broadcast. He said the Giants were going to take a page out of Portland's book. He said they were going to be more of a puck possession team next season. Not going to do as much chasing.

The thing that impressed me most was Hay saying that his whole organization had to be better. He said scouting has to be better, players have to be better prepared, but the thing that stuck the most was he said the "coaching" has to be better. Coming from one of the best in the CHL that was very eye opening. This guy continually is looking for ways to get better.

On Cameron's exit statement, he didn't seem to take a lot of ownership as to what went wrong and what he could have done better. It's worth listening to. I'm willing to give him some slack but it wasn't what I wanted to hear. Don Hay is in Portland studying an elite team. Where is our guy, golfing in Florida? There was something in that whole message about commitment to excellence.

Bighat
04-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Our coach is not golfing in Florida and what does watching Portland play help turn our organization around. Portland was horrible for years then drafted well and spent money on getting American college players and boom they are good. The pats are heading in the right direction with chad lang in charge.

patsdude114
04-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Our coach is not golfing in Florida and what does watching Portland play help turn our organization around. Portland was horrible for years then drafted well and spent money on getting American college players and boom they are good. The pats are heading in the right direction with chad lang in charge.

our coach will be in florida very soon he lives down there in the summer...he talks about setting roots down in regina but yet come offseason he is gone but really I don't blame him though I would pick florida over regina too

chopper
04-06-2014, 12:27 PM
With the upcoming Bantam Draft I thought you guys might find this interesting. These are our picks this year and the next two drafts. I don't know if it's just me but it looks pretty darn thin. This is the price for bringing in hired help, and you thought BP was the only guy who traded away draft picks...LOL. We had a real deep draft last year and it would have been nice to follow up with another this year. However it looks like we only have three picks in the first six rounds. In my mind with only Klimchuk appearing to be returning, I think I would look at a trade or two for young talent and picks. Go with a young fast team and add some muscle.

2014 Bantam Picks:

Round & picks

1st = 1
2nd = 1
3rd = 0
4th = 0
5th = 1
6th = 0

7th, 8th, 9th, 10 = 1 pick each round

2015 Draft

1st = 1
2nd = 1
3rd = 1
4th = 0
5th = 0
6th = 0

7th, 8th, 9th, 10 = 1 pick each round

2016 Draft

1st = 1
2nd = 0
3rd = 0
4th = 1
5th = 0

6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th = 1 pick each round

patsdude114
04-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I'm not so concerned about not having a couple 3rd or 4th round picks, teams are really built with the 1st & 2nd rounders. Yes at times you luck out with some good gems in the mid to late rounds but as long as we got the 2 main picks not such a huge deal.

Yes in 2016 we have no 2nd round pick which we will need to recoup somewhere or get another 1st round pick that year instead. Our scouts are just going to have to make quality selections, quality is always better then quanity. Last year our top 3 picks were all quality players & very well could have all 3 on our roster next season (which hope is the case).

I really hope we go with a young roster next season & not return all these 19yr olds. Guys like Kroeker, Berg, Cole should all join Wagner, Zimmer, Reagan on the roster & then Steel, Liam Schoiler, Smith & Elmer (1 of the most purest goal scorers in midget last season) should all be on the roster. Wapple may very well earn every save he makes next season but its time this franchise went extremely young & put winning on the back burner for a season or 2. Trade Klimchuk before the WJ's hell even before the season to get the maxed return possible on him. Hell maybe BRN would want him for this yrs 1st ovr pick & another assest since BRN willl have a very strong roster next year & should run away with our division. Guys like Hunt & Gay could be moved as well later in year even though they would be 20yr olds as well, Hunt imo would have the best return between those guys. I would love to see our team as young as MJ was this year but with hopefully a better result.

Bighat
04-06-2014, 02:35 PM
I know our coach has a house in Florida, but I still don't get what watching Portland play helps our team. Hell Carlyle watched winnipeg play last nite and that didn't help the leafs lol. If we get Stephenson back next year we will be a top 4 team in our div.

sbtatter
04-06-2014, 04:05 PM
What do you guys think Stephenson and Klimchuck are worth in a trade?

mjw22
04-06-2014, 05:26 PM

Klimchuk our 1st and Halbjewachs or a prospect

patsdude114
04-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Klimchuk our 1st and Halbjewachs or a prospect

we def do NOT want midget Halbjewachs we have had enough small scared players on our team the past 10yrs

mjw22
04-06-2014, 06:14 PM
we def do NOT want midget Halbjewachs we have had enough small scared players on our team the past 10yrs

Seeing that Klimchuck is 1 yr player as I doubt hes back as a 20 yr old a 1st and a prospect may be the price.

patsdude114
04-06-2014, 06:21 PM

If Stephenson was to come back next year he would easily be top 3 in the 20yr old category. He still hasn't signed which is abit alarming imo but who knows what's going on there... I don't see him back next year but if there was a move to a legit contender I think then the chances could increase with him being back....what could the Pats truly get for him though as of right now though jack squat as no team would want to risk paying a big price for him to not return. But nothing less then a 2nd rd pick and a prospect 16 or 17yrs old.

As for Klimchuk if it is in the cards to trade him or not (which I hope it is) legit top 5 pick a quality 16yo &/or 17yo....something like this would look good....

TO BRN
Klimchuk

TO REG
1st ovr pick
Gabrielle ('97) or Lindgren ('96)
Tanner Kaspick (2nd rd 2013 pick)

I mean lets be realistic no way in hell will KM ever part with Clague or Patrick...just throwing coins into the wish fountain here lol but in all seriousness here that is the type of return that Pats would need

Seeing that Klimchuck is 1 yr player as I doubt hes back as a 20 yr old a 1st and a prospect may be the price.

yes that will definitely be the bare min of the price for him but I would be 1 pissed off fan if we got that little twerp from you guys for him, but really I would never see MJ being interested in adding him anyways so I think we would be safe there

sbtatter
04-06-2014, 06:42 PM
How about Schmyr and Dakota Boutin for Klimchuk?
Kaspick and Gabrielle are likley untouchables, along with Patrick and Clague

patsdude114
04-06-2014, 07:36 PM
How about Schmyr and Dakota Boutin for Klimchuk?
Kaspick and Gabrielle are likley untouchables, along with Patrick and Clague

Schmyr is too small for us we are already a franchise that needs to address size.

Fine if Gabrielle is an untouchable send Lindgren then but Kaspick needs to come :P obviously this is all armchair GM talk.... but I would love to see us move Klimchuk to a team that could use him for a deep playoff run next year and we get some prospects back in return 1 that can step in right away and 1 that needs some development/grooming as a young kid (like a Wagner type) plus 1st rd pick (doesn't need to be 1st ovr pick with whoever we trade with)

sbtatter
04-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Schmyr is too small for us we are already a franchise that needs to address size.

Fine if Gabrielle is an untouchable send Lindgren then but Kaspick needs to come :P obviously this is all armchair GM talk.... but I would love to see us move Klimchuk to a team that could use him for a deep playoff run next year and we get some prospects back in return 1 that can step in right away and 1 that needs some development/grooming as a young kid (like a Wagner type) plus 1st rd pick (doesn't need to be 1st ovr pick with whoever we trade with)

In all reality, it's tough to trade within the division, even though CL and KM are friends. Fun to speculate though!

patsdude114
04-06-2014, 08:35 PM
In all reality, it's tough to trade within the division, even though CL and KM are friends. Fun to speculate though!

hey come on BRN & STOON do it all the time lmao

mjw22
04-06-2014, 08:58 PM
hey come on BRN & STOON do it all the time lmao

Not anymore Km's new b**ch resides in Leth. Lol

chopper
04-06-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm not so concerned about not having a couple 3rd or 4th round picks, teams are really built with the 1st & 2nd rounders. Yes at times you luck out with some good gems in the mid to late rounds but as long as we got the 2 main picks not such a huge deal.

Yes in 2016 we have no 2nd round pick which we will need to recoup somewhere or get another 1st round pick that year instead. Our scouts are just going to have to make quality selections, quality is always better then quanity. Last year our top 3 picks were all quality players & very well could have all 3 on our roster next season (which hope is the case).

I really hope we go with a young roster next season & not return all these 19yr olds. Guys like Kroeker, Berg, Cole should all join Wagner, Zimmer, Reagan on the roster & then Steel, Liam Schoiler, Smith & Elmer (1 of the most purest goal scorers in midget last season) should all be on the roster. Wapple may very well earn every save he makes next season but its time this franchise went extremely young & put winning on the back burner for a season or 2. Trade Klimchuk before the WJ's hell even before the season to get the maxed return possible on him. Hell maybe BRN would want him for this yrs 1st ovr pick & another assest since BRN willl have a very strong roster next year & should run away with our division. Guys like Hunt & Gay could be moved as well later in year even though they would be 20yr olds as well, Hunt imo would have the best return between those guys. I would love to see our team as young as MJ was this year but with hopefully a better result.

I talked briefly with the GM when I picked up my playoff tickets. He was very big on Luc Smith and i suspect he will be here next year. He was described to me as a leader who would be the top power forward in the league within two years. He's already 6'3" -185 and Colten Kroeker (6'3") won the scoring title in the CSSHL Prep Division (58 pts in 28 games) Elmer had (25 pts in 23 games) He was #12 in scoring in the CSSHL Elite 15'a but this group has some of the best kids from coast to coast. He is a goal scorer. Liam Schoiler (Winnipeg) is already around 6'2-6'3" -200 lbs out St Marry's Shattuck. I read he may have been one of the top three D-men taken last draft.

The young guys are our future and it's pretty bright. We just have to bridge the next couple years. If Klimchuk is the only elite forward we have back it seems like a no brainer they move him however they may not until the deadline (get more from a contender). Plus for four months it would give Steel someone to get him acclimated to the League. I say lets go real young, add a few knuckle draggers and see what happens. It's the only way to stop this add a few pieces - give up draft picks - mentality. Lets face it a lot of these guys are available because some other team doesn't have room for them on their teams. They have better already. If we make any trades we should look at adding a couple higher end veteran d-men, since Wapple may need all the help he can get.

chopper
04-06-2014, 10:01 PM
Not anymore Km's new b**ch resides in Leth. Lol

LOL.......that's too funny:D

chopper
04-06-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure we can ever undervalue later picks in any draft. When I look at who may make our team next year it's surprising. These are all key parts. A kid who won his league's scoring title, a kid who finished just out of the top 10, a kid who was 4th in goaltending in his league, and a kid who will be playing in the Telus Cup pretty soon. If we hadn't had 3rd to 7th round picks we would never have got any of these guys. I'm not a fan of trading away too many picks, even in the so called lower rounds.

We're still recovering from the disastrous 2nd round of 2011

Cole - 3rd
Wagner & Zimmer 4th
Kroeker 7th
Smith 3rd
Elmer 6th
Chapman 7th

RWAH
04-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Chopper if you got the draft picks from "Smallthoughtsatlarge" missing is the Mark Macoy trade. We picked up Kelowna 5th in 2016 for Marc.
Sorry about taking so long to post this but have the file at work so needed to wait till Manday.
Agree with your last post: it is time to stop trying to trade for a few peices and giving up 2 or 3 drafp picks (stop the merry-go-round) Go young and talented acquire some picks add some muscle to protect the young players. Take your lumps for a year or two but then you should be able to compete with the top 4 or 5 teams and for more than one year.
IMO Chad L is moving in that direction. He has improved our talent evaluation , our drafting, our PPL is light years ahead of 3 years ago. The coaching developes players beter, and style of play is entertaining.

witness
04-07-2014, 11:19 AM
There are other pick up drafts that have been over looked.
in 2015 there is two additional 6th rounders with the Volek trade to RD and the Maguire trade to SC.

there is going to be some movement in the protection list. The scouts have been able to come up with a couple of guys that have been a value. Schneider was a list player that the Pats were able to turn over for some assets. Berg was a list player and looks like a good prospect. Too bad that Finlay has committed to the US college route. I am interested to see how Krushen and Lovell compete at training camp. Both seem to have decent seasons and are cash in the bank for the future (both will be 16 next year).

I think that Liam Schioler is ready for the WHL jump. I thought there was good development in Reagan and Harrison. I agree that maybe Mumby might be the odd man out. Or do they maybe flip a guy like Williams for more assets??

I disagree with most posters on Brooks. I guess I just see something different. I don't know if he will ever bring the offensive game that apparently everyone expected. But, I saw a huge growth this year. He is a smaller guy, but I liked his competitiveness. I think he had the realization of how hard you have to work to be a player in the league. Here is a guy that when he was younger success was fairly easy for him.

It is tough for young guys that have been scorers their whole career to move to another role. Some adjust better (Wagner) than others (Zimmer).

chopper
04-07-2014, 11:44 AM
Chopper if you got the draft picks from "Smallthoughtsatlarge" missing is the Mark Macoy trade. We picked up Kelowna 5th in 2016 for Marc.
Sorry about taking so long to post this but have the file at work so needed to wait till Manday.
Agree with your last post: it is time to stop trying to trade for a few peices and giving up 2 or 3 drafp picks (stop the merry-go-round) Go young and talented acquire some picks add some muscle to protect the young players. Take your lumps for a year or two but then you should be able to compete with the top 4 or 5 teams and for more than one year.
IMO Chad L is moving in that direction. He has improved our talent evaluation , our drafting, our PPL is light years ahead of 3 years ago. The coaching developes players beter, and style of play is entertaining.

Good post RWAH and no I didn't get the McCoy pick. Good catch. I am just wondering aloud here if we would still get the pick, even though he didn't report? However I guess he may next year as a 20 year old. However when I looked at their roster they had him X'd off with one of those red X's. Usually means not with the club.

Last year we over achieved and it was a nice change. Without all the acquisitions I doubt we do as well. All of the acquisitions were costly in a sense. What I mean is we now have to pay for them. It would be nice if we could get to a point that when we make additions they would be to supplement an already contending team. Not adding pieces so you can squeak into the playoffs.

There truly is some real good young guys coming on stream next year and I say lets go with it, take our lumps and develop something very special. Like I said before add a few knuckle draggers, and try to strengthen the defence. We then hold on for the ride, stick behind the young guys and reap the rewards in a couple years. With Klimchuk being our only feature forward we will be hard pressed to make the playoffs even with Gay and Hunt. We are needing to increase our speed and it could mean moving some vets who don't have that attribute.

chopper
04-07-2014, 12:31 PM
There are other pick up drafts that have been over looked.
in 2015 there is two additional 6th rounders with the Volek trade to RD and the Maguire trade to SC.

there is going to be some movement in the protection list. The scouts have been able to come up with a couple of guys that have been a value. Schneider was a list player that the Pats were able to turn over for some assets. Berg was a list player and looks like a good prospect. Too bad that Finlay has committed to the US college route. I am interested to see how Krushen and Lovell compete at training camp. Both seem to have decent seasons and are cash in the bank for the future (both will be 16 next year).

I think that Liam Schioler is ready for the WHL jump. I thought there was good development in Reagan and Harrison. I agree that maybe Mumby might be the odd man out. Or do they maybe flip a guy like Williams for more assets??

I disagree with most posters on Brooks. I guess I just see something different. I don't know if he will ever bring the offensive game that apparently everyone expected. But, I saw a huge growth this year. He is a smaller guy, but I liked his competitiveness. I think he had the realization of how hard you have to work to be a player in the league. Here is a guy that when he was younger success was fairly easy for him.

It is tough for young guys that have been scorers their whole career to move to another role. Some adjust better (Wagner) than others (Zimmer).

Your right about the Maguire pick. I'm unsure on the Volek pick because it was a conditional pick as was the one for Stephen Hak. The Maguire pick may just pay off a previous owed debt. Then we have to pay MJ another pick in the 2016 draft if Hanson plays as a 20 year old. The bottom line we're still going to be short a lot of picks at this point. There may be some small changes yet.

I think the Pats want to get a little bigger on the back end, and not many teams carry two d-men under 6'. Obviously Burroughs is the captain and a point producer. We have some bigger guys in the wings and Hand may still be in the mix. We could move Williams and Mumby for picks IMO.

With Virtanen going to be a #1 round pick I wonder if the Hitmen would be interested in Klimchuk. After a 103 point season and going out in the first round Calgary were bitter and wanted the new season to start right away. It would be nice to see Beck Melenstyn and something else to come here. Having another elite forward in the 98 mix would be outstanding.

patsdude114
04-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I think the Pats want to get a little bigger on the back end, and not many teams carry two d-men under 6'. Obviously Burroughs is the captain and a point producer. We have some bigger guys in the wings and Hand may still be in the mix. We could move Williams and Mumby for picks IMO.

With Williams finally producing some points from the backend (goals especially) there may be some value on him now. Prior to xmas I would think he had no value at all as he wasn't turning into that point producing Dman that he was pegged to be out of bantam/midget.

As for Mumby I think we would be paying someone to take him, he really has very little upside to him. It may be cruel to say when dealing with kids but let him take his 2yrs of schooling paid and let him play in the SJHL where he is more suited. He's a very smart kid let him benefit from the schooling.

With Virtanen going to be a #1 round pick I wonder if the Hitmen would be interested in Klimchuk. After a 103 point season and going out in the first round Calgary were bitter and wanted the new season to start right away. It would be nice to see Beck Melenstyn and something else to come here. Having another elite forward in the 98 mix would be outstanding.

I also was thinking of this last night when watching a boring show with the wife last night (things I think about when wasting my time watching TV), I thought if BRN didn't want to pony up anything worth while (like Kapsick) go bang on the door of the Hitmen & see what you can get from them. Im sure the Flames would love him playing with the Hitmen where they can watch his every move throughout the year. If nothing happens there, Lang has Mr. Sutter on speed dial as well (many trades between them over the years) to add a guy like Klimchuk to play with Bleackley. Or maybe the Oil Kings would want another elite player to play with Lazar as next season will be his last (if the Sens even return him).

After reading around that this year's draft is not that deep or have much high end talent maybe BRN would consider moving that 1st ovr pick for a legit guy who should put up close 100pts (especially on a deep talented team like BRN will have). Lang has traded for the 1st ovr pick before back when he was with MJ to land Howden, he is not afraid to make a big move. But with the #1 kid ranked out of Winnipeg does KM want to give up on him? BRN always seems to have a deep pool of MB kids, they always seem to find the list kids too that turn out to be solid players. Maybe the Sask teams need to start turning rocks over there alittle more.

Bighat
04-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Don't forget we have 1 maybe 2 euro picks to use on scoring forwards. I think we're going to have a solid team next year.

patsdude114
04-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Euro picks are so hit and miss though, they are worse then bantam picks...unless you have a top 10 pick with euros and have a great inside word on 1 its a bigger crap shoot then drafting 14/15yr olds

chopper
04-07-2014, 03:33 PM
We have to get lucky on a Euro at some point you would think. Saskatoon knew nothing about Sherback and took a flyer on a guy. We need to do that and hope for a miracle..LOL I think Kalus/Tolpeko were the last two we had that were difference makers.

Last year we took Liam Shoiler and Brady Poteau out of Manitoba (both big d-men). Our travelling scout (#2 guy) is out of Manitoba. I think we're starting to have a bigger presence there. Now we want a Brendan Leipsic out of there in the 7th round like Portland did.:)

nivek_wahs
04-07-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm staying out of the discussion for now. I agree with some points but disagree with a lot more than I agree with.

Anyway, the Pats have updated their "In The System (http://reginapats.com/inthesystem)" on their website. Here's some new names....

G - Tyler Brown
6'0" 151lbs
Born - March 29/97
Hometown - Winnipeg, MB
13-14 Team: Winnipeg Wild (MMHL)
How acquired: List
Stats: 22GP 20-2 with a 1.49 GAA and a .938 Sv%

LD - Andrew McCann
6'0" 163lbs
Jan 15/97
Hometown - Calgary, AB
13-14 Team: Calgary Canucks (AJHL)
Stats: 38GP 6-5-11 50PIM

F - Sean Richards
5'10" 170 lbs
Born - Dec 15/98
Hometown - St. Albert, AB
13-14 Team - St. Albert Flyers (AMMHL)

LW - Riley Woods
5'7" 145lbs
Born - June 25/98
Hometown - Regina, SK
13-14 Team - Regina Capitals (SSMAA)
Midget AA Stats: 34GP 26-32-58 8PIM
Midget AAA Stats: 6GP 3-1-4 0PIM (Regina Pat C's Reserve Player)

chopper
04-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the update Kevin. The Riley Woods kid has some impressive numbers in Midget AA. Actually more than 2 points per game. His midget AAA numbers are not too shabby either. I think Brown had a nice showing at the Regionals in PA.

There is a wide array of views on what to do and where to go, which is both stimulating and thought provoking. I was in the rink the last time we played in a league final. I never though I'd become an old man waiting for it to happen again. After three ownerships and three decades with virtually no success, it's safe to say something isn't working. The template used for the last 20 years or so is simply put "not acceptable", and I think anyone should be able to see that. Nobody can know the correct way of doing things until someone delivers a champion here. Here's to hoping:)

patsdude114
04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
F - Sean Richards
5'10" 170 lbs
Born - Dec 15/98
Hometown - St. Albert, AB
13-14 Team - St. Albert Flyers (AMMHL)

His Stats are this...

36gp 24g 27a 51pts 60pim

mjw22
04-07-2014, 05:37 PM
When Lang was here we had MB kids usually big dmen.

chopper
04-07-2014, 06:36 PM
When Lang was here we had MB kids usually big dmen.

Lang has done a good job finding D-men out of MB. Last draft he found two real big boys in the 2nd and 4th rounds. MJ has had good luck getting both of the Howden boys, so it's a market that thief McCrimmon can't hog...LOL

Bighat
04-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Pats added 2 more big dmen aswell.

RWAH
04-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Kevin Thanks for the update. Glad to see a tender added as I am not in favor of 2 19 year old goals, one gets pissed (Sacher) and leaves to be a starter in tier two or traded. At 19 if they are not a starter they have a lot less chance to play pro.
I for one would be interested in your thoughts and opins.

patsdude114
04-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Pats added 2 more big dmen aswell.

Am I missing something here? Who's the 2 big Dman you talk about? McCann is far from big at 6'0 163lbs as a list player

nivek_wahs
04-07-2014, 11:08 PM
Am I missing something here? Who's the 2 big Dman you talk about? McCann is far from big at 6'0 163lbs as a list player
Probably means Krushen and Lovell? They've been on the list for a while but maybe Bighat missed them along the way? Maybe?

patsdude114
04-08-2014, 11:09 AM
I guess that makes sense that he prob missed them since early January when they were listed. But with that said they are far from big, sure they are about 6'2 but have zero weight behind them, can be as big as they want in height but if they have no weight to them its no different then having a 5'10 guy.

On a different note looks like Hunt has made the CSS at 144th which makes him possibly a late 4th to somewhere in the 5th round. I said over a month ago that a NHL team will take a chance on Hunt after missing all of last year he missed a year of development and had a fantastic season for a guy who played 2games last year. The kid is strong as hell down low, even guys like Pulock had problems knocking him off the puck down low.

chopper
04-08-2014, 11:29 AM
On a different note looks like Hunt has made the CSS at 144th which makes him possibly a late 4th to somewhere in the 5th round. I said over a month ago that a NHL team will take a chance on Hunt after missing all of last year he missed a year of development and had a fantastic season for a guy who played 2games last year. The kid is strong as hell down low, even guys like Pulock had problems knocking him off the puck down low.

Hunt is actually 144 (210) of North American skaters. There are 210 skaters rated in North America. There are 140 rated from Europe. When you combine North American and European skaters it changes the equation. There is now perhaps 350 players in the mix. It looks like he could possibly be a 7th round selection if a team likes his stuff. As long as he is one of the top 210 he could make it.

patsdude114
04-08-2014, 12:13 PM
ahhh yes your right forgot to add in the euro skaters, I thought he was ranked alittle high from what I was figuring out lol

Hunt is actually 144 (210) of North American skaters. There are 210 skaters rated in North America. There are 140 rated from Europe. When you combine North American and European skaters it changes the equation. There is now perhaps 350 players in the mix. It looks like he could possibly be a 7th round selection if a team likes his stuff. As long as he is one of the top 210 he could make it.

Ok but now on alittle more important stuff.....

did anyone else read the Lang article today and find what he was saying about adding pieces (grit & bigger on the backend) alittle alarming????

Bigger Dmen tend to cost a lot in terms of picks, I mean Schacher for instance costed us (2) 5th rd picks (1 in 2015, 1 in 2016) & its not even like he is anything special. Yes I do like Schacher he is a steady stay at home type guy who does have some toughness just doesn't use it much. But if you add a guy with that size again hopefully abit more skilled its going to cost you a lot more then (2) 5th's

I fully understand that the Pats brass wants to build on last season's regular season success but with that said at what cost??

Another thing when reading that article is it almost seems like Lang would be happy to bring back Sinitsyn as a 20yr old euro if he doesn't turn pro. Now im not fully against that by any means I mean he put up 44pts along with 10goals (he could of had more if he shot more early in the year) he was 1 point off to be in the top 20 for defensemen scoring. Yes at times he was abit scrambly defensively but it was like night and day from his defensive game at the start of the year compared to at the end of the year. So yes his game did develop defensively & he logged a ton of ice for us as well.

Im pretty sure since he is going to be 20yrs old that the Pats do not have to drop him to make a 2nd selection in the euro draft (assuming we cut ties with Krammerer). One thing I do hope for though no matter if he is back or not is I hope we draft another Russian from the euro draft. Look at the Russians that were in our league this season they all had a lot of skill no matter what their age was. I mean look at even Sleptov in MJ that kid has a lot of skill at age 17, he skated well and had a very good slap shot (just like Sinitsyn)

patsdude114
04-08-2014, 12:44 PM
20yr olds
Stephenson
Sinitsyn
McVeigh
D'Amico
Christoffer
MacAuley

19yr olds
Klimchuk
Hunt
Gay
Hansen
Burroughs
Williams
Schacher
Hand
Wapple
Fuhr

18yr olds
Mumby
Brooks
Krammerer
Harrison
Mortlock
D. Schioler

17yr olds
Reagan
Wagner
Zimmer
Kroeker
McAmmond
Ortynski
Finlay
Cole
Berg
McCann

16yr olds
Steel
L. Schioler
Smith
Pouteau
Freadrich
Elmer
Chapman
Third
Krushen
Lovell
Richards
Woods

I really think the Pats should cut ties with Hand we really do not need (4) 19yr old defensemen & possibly (1) 20yr old. I also do not think we need to keep any of our 18yr olds besides Brooks & Harrison, I'd much rather see those spots opened up for guys like Kroeker, Berg, Cole, & our 16yr old class.

As for a backup goalie yes ideally we don't want a 19yr old backup in Fuhr but with that said do we really have a goalie ready to step in and be a backup? I guess we will see how this Tyler Brown kid is at spring camp, I know myself I'd much rather see Chapman develop 1 more year in midget playing a ton of minutes. Lets remember Chapman didn't play in the top midget league in Alberta as he was in the AMMHL not the AMHL.

chopper
04-08-2014, 12:51 PM
PD114 your analysis seems pretty solid. I think there is a need to cut down our goals against which was pretty high, even factoring out the fights. With a good goalie and a stout defence you can become tougher to play against. If the young forwards are creative and gifted some of their mistakes can be compensated by a good D.

I also agree that I like the idea of a Russian forward. A lot of teams in the CHL have good luck with them. It's my understanding we can draft two from the Import draft and bring Sinitsyn back to camp as well. We then need to declare two for our opening roster. If you draft two good ones it might open up some trade possibilities. I wouldn't mind Sinitsyn back if they can work on his defensive game which I'm sure Dallas wants. He can rush regularly but he needs to learn to pick his spots. He can't be doing it all the time.

I agree that we need to be very cautious in what were getting and what we're giving away. I sure don't like giving up a third for Pilton and that's what we have to do. I think that one deal Lang would like to have back. Too big a price. Giving up picks for kids who did little for your team, and are no longer with the team sure bites.

Perhaps CL is factoring in Hand (still a project in my mind) along with a couple rookies. I still think we need to big vets back there but they also have to be puck movers as well people movers. If it can be done by moving some expendable assets that would be fine. Giving up more draft picks is a bit sketchy in my mind.

chopper
04-08-2014, 02:35 PM
Just went back and re-read Lang's article. The more I read it the more I liked what he feels we need. Size, grit, and speed. The fact he mentioned speed was really important to me. It seemed to me we needed more speed from the outside to put pressure on opposing d-men. A lot of teams like to get one or both of their d-men in the rush. If you have fast transitional speed you can catch them out of position for breakaways. Portland gets a ton of these.

Speed and size can cut down on your penalty totals. The need for some grit is obvious. I actually liked what I read. Now if he can be creative in getting the pieces as he call them, then all is good.

The 20 year old situation is still in flux. If for any reason Stephenson and Sinitsyn came back, the landscape changes again. I think last year Alex Roach was sent back to Calgary with a contract in place, and that's how we got Zagraggen. I think Brassart also had a contract. We had Colton Jobke who played here as a 20 year old with a contract. It could happen, just saying.

What would really be nice is to have someone emerge as a difference maker. A camp invitee, a list player, a castoff from another league, an american player or import. Someone who comes out of nowhere to make a statement. Wishful thinking but you can always hope.

patsdude114
04-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Just went back and re-read Lang's article. The more I read it the more I liked what he feels we need. Size, grit, and speed.

Oh I loved that he said this cause it is a glaring flaw within our organization, just the only thing I didn't like in that article was how he was wording it to go find the needs. Let's face it those needs are every teams needs, can never have too much of either & those needs COST to get if you cant draft/list it within your organization.

chopper
04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Oh I loved that he said this cause it is a glaring flaw within our organization, just the only thing I didn't like in that article was how he was wording it to go find the needs. Let's face it those needs are every teams needs, can never have too much of either & those needs COST to get if you cant draft/list it within your organization.

Yup...that's always the question, how do we pay for things.

As incredible as it sounds were we to get back Stephenson and Sinitsyn there would a potential of moving McVeigh or Christopher and possibly both. Even if we got one back I think there would still be a player moved (20 yr old). That could fetch some of what Lang seeks.

If he wants to get bigger on the back end that could mean the likes of Williams could be moved. He would't keep two smaller d-men. That could no doubt fetch CL some pieces. If Hand is healthy perhaps there might be a deal in the making.

Since we draft at #13 if CL doesn't or can't get something he wants by then, he may move down 5-6 spots and pick up some of these pieces. Sometimes 12-20 doesn't yield much difference. Bleakley was taken at the bottom of the first round and Hayden Fluery was taken at the bottom of the 2nd round(we could have had both..lol)

There could also be a good old fashioned hockey trade. The chances of getting much from the spare parts is slim, but hey you never can tell.

Bighat
04-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Hand will retire

patsdude114
04-08-2014, 09:03 PM
Hand will retire

he was here for the 2 home playoff games and sounds like he wants to attempt a come back like Hunt did... so who knows what will happen, from a Pats roster perspective retiring would be the easier choice of not having to trade him or release him after a tough year

Bighat
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't think hand will have a choice in the matter, too many concussions. I like hand but he wouldn't be able to come back and play that physical style.

chopper
04-09-2014, 09:48 AM
I don't think hand will have a choice in the matter, too many concussions. I like hand but he wouldn't be able to come back and play that physical style.

I tend to agree with this. He needs to be rugged and drop the mitts and that's not good for him going forward. After all his health and well being come first. These multiple concussion things can plague one for life. It's difficult to build continuity and to compete when a guy is continually in and out of the lineup. It's a difficult situation but IMO the Pats might be better served going with a different option.

patsdude114
04-09-2014, 10:51 AM

Believe me I agree with you on this which rarely happens me agreeing with anything you say. He was sat out just like Hunt was laast year as a precaution & like Hunt last year he was symptom free just after xmas. Hunt's parents didn't want him to play again but he chose to try it again, & yes there was a big scare back in Feb with another high hit on him.

All I'm saying is until its announced we can't really assume anything.

chopper
04-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Believe me I agree with you on this which rarely happens me agreeing with anything you say. He was sat out just like Hunt was laast year as a precaution & like Hunt last year he was symptom free just after xmas. Hunt's parents didn't want him to play again but he chose to try it again, & yes there was a big scare back in Feb with another high hit on him.

All I'm saying is until its announced we can't really assume anything.

We all know what assume means..LOL, and yes you never know in sports. Anything can and usual does happen.

I just don't want the team to put themselves in a position of having a guy in and out of the lineup like he was this past season. If he plays for us we need a built in insurance policy. I'm wondering why the team would risk it if you don't need to.

The Pats are going to need size yes, but they also need someone who can be a puck mover. That isn't a strong suit of Hand. He may not be what they are heading toward.

Cameron is one of the four WHL coaches running the USA Combines for the League. I expect him back, and its a good chance to scope a market we have to get into. We need to tap into the US talent like other teams are doing with success.

Based on his comments I suspect Dixon is looking for greener pastures. McGuigan's wife and family stayed back in the Maritimes and I'm betting against him being back. He like Dixon want to be Head coaches. There are just so many open spots.

All the GM's say a lot of the same stuff but keep their true agenda under wraps. The shooting will start for real on draft day. I'm certain deals are already brewing.

chopper
04-10-2014, 10:46 AM
I just read #3 of 4 articles Harder has published in the LP. There seems to be some double speak around his defensive corps. On Tuesday CL talked of getting bigger and harder to play against and getting pieces. Now CL is saying he may be able to do it from within. The article mentions Hand and I think we have to agree that one is a longshot. It's mentions Mumby hasn't been able to really establish himself as a starter. A change of scenery might be in his best interest.

They are very high on Liam Schoiler but apparently he hasn't signed with the team. You wonder if this has to do with Dane Schoiler, who apparently is a cousin and still not cracking the lineup. Usually they have these things well investigated and checked into before they draft a kid. Sure hope this isn't another one on the College list.

I still think that they are going to need two big d-men with a puck moving ability and people moving ability. I'll bet that's still in the cards.

patsdude114
04-10-2014, 11:21 AM
I hope the Schoiler family doesn't look too far in how we handled Reagan this year & think that will happen to Liam as well. I did think we handled Reagan terribly this year only dressed for like 27games is pretty pathedic if you ask me.

I for 1 really liked hearing that they are very interested in having Sinitsyn return as a 20yr old Dman as long as Dallas doesn't keep him in the pro ranks or of course if the KHL doesn't offer him money to play. He really improved a lot all season long but let's be fair the guy had only played 13games in the 2yrs before he came here, that's a lot of development missed on the defensive side of the game. He still doesn't take off with the puck nearly as much as his skill level should let him, he makes 1 or 2 forecheckers miss then has tons of ice to skate but he stops skating a lot & looks to pass.

sbtatter
04-10-2014, 11:30 AM
I hope the Schoiler family doesn't look too far in how we handled Reagan this year & think that will happen to Liam as well. I did think we handled Reagan terribly this year only dressed for like 27games is pretty pathedic if you ask me.

I for 1 really liked hearing that they are very interested in having Sinitsyn return as a 20yr old Dman as long as Dallas doesn't keep him in the pro ranks or of course if the KHL doesn't offer him money to play. He really improved a lot all season long but let's be fair the guy had only played 13games in the 2yrs before he came here, that's a lot of development missed on the defensive side of the game. He still doesn't take off with the puck nearly as much as his skill level should let him, he makes 1 or 2 forecheckers miss then has tons of ice to skate but he stops skating a lot & looks to pass.

He could be a dominant d-man in the dub next season, big body and big skills

chopper
04-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I agree Sinitsyn can rush the puck, but I do know they want to work on his coverage a lot more. He had over 40 points and if he comes back will be way over that. He needs to use the lead pass better too. Dallas could have sent him to their farm club but he returned to Russia without a contract. I am also worried he may sign on to the KHL, make money and stay. Cameron however states he doesn't think he is ready for minor pro yet (AHL or ECHL) so KHL?? The guy just went through his rookie year in Major Junior.

Schoiler was talked about as the best d-man from Manitoba and in the top 3 in the draft. A few scouts have said it's amazing he was available in the 2nd round. St Mary's Shattuck has a good program but we got to get this kid signed. Hate to lose out on blue chips.

patsdude114
04-10-2014, 01:08 PM
He could be a dominant d-man in the dub next season, big body and big skills

Yes he does have the potential to be a dominaate Dman in the whl, he showed flashes of it this past season where he was by far the best player on the ice for both sides but it wasn't consistently enough.

I remember him saying in the LP when he 1st got here that he wants to play in north america instead of back in russia which was why he came he to play in the ncaa which maybe he should of came straight to the CHL instead. The thing I love most about his game is when he does have the puck taken from in the defensive zone he battles to get it back & more times then not he does get back. Without looking it up since I'm not home to do so easily on the laptop but I think during late jan early feb he had slightly over a point/game over like a 13 game period (something along those lines anyways). Skill wise he was our most skilled defenseman just not defensively but he made huge strides.

chopper
04-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Hey friends! Just read the 4th instalment in the LP regarding the teams forwards. By reading the comments, it almost looks like we need nothing and all is well in Patville. What about all this fail to compete we heard about after the 4 game sweep by Brandon?

Who could have ever thunk the Kootenay Ice could do what they have? They started the playoffs missing Bozon and two of their d-men. They didn't have 12 forwards. They beat Calgary and look to be doing it to Med Hat. They have Deschaneau, Rienhart, Philp and Franko as stars. However they have also been doing it with guys like Vetterl, Cable, Zabrosky, McPhee and Dirk. This team doesn't have many household names on it's roster. Kootenay know to play as a team when it comes the playoffs. Amazing what speed can do!

Now back to the Pats. There was much to do about the lack of compete and bad goaltending in the first round. I read where they want more grit and be harder to play against. I just hope the team doesn't undervalue speed. When you look out West at Portland-Kelowna, they are both swift skating teams. In the East Edmonton is a big very fast skating as are Kootenay and Medicine Hat. There is a clear message in all this. I sure hope we get it.

patsdude114
04-11-2014, 03:12 PM
I for one never once thought the Ice were a fast team, just as an entire team they all play the exact same way built around their systems. When you have an entire group buy into the same thing good things happen no matter who you have on the roster. They also have alittle extra motivation to play for Bozon & im sure the coaches are using every inch of that showing how hard he fought for his life & the least his teammates can do is fight for every inch they can get on the ice. The Ice also have 2 goalies going, 1 slips up the other comes in and picks the team up, something we didn't have.

I truly feel that the Pats lack of effort came souly on the piss poor play of MacAuley. That 1st shot of series in the back of the net was the start of the year all over again. Once we went to BRN it didn't matter if Wapple was back or not the entire team had mailed it in already from the lack of confidence shown in the 1st 2 games from the goaltending.

From the sounds of it Cameron is looking forward to having Krammerer back next year especially if he can add another 15lbs or so. Krammerer is a good skater and does have some skill he was a young kid in a new country I get that fully im also sure in and out of the lineup as a euro doesn't help confidence much.

I don't recall from camp but does anyone remember how Kroeker, Cole & Elmer were as skaters? If we have some good younger skaters coming up why bother bringing in others from around the league. Myself I would rather have a year of struggling again but showing signs that we are building in the right way with a younger group.

nivek_wahs
04-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Hey dude,

It's Kammerer. K A M M E R E R.

That is all.

patsdude114
04-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Hey dude,

It's Kammerer. K A M M E R E R.

That is all.

yep your right it is Kammerer and ill still use krammerer he didn't play enough games for me to get the spelling right

chopper
04-11-2014, 06:10 PM
yep your right it is Kammerer and ill still use krammerer he didn't play enough games for me to get the spelling right

Kammerer or Krammerer either way just not enough upside for a 96. We already have a sketchy group of 96's. Since there is a possibility that Sinitsyn could be back as a two headed monster, Is Kammerer as our best option for the other import spot? IMO we would be have been ahead if we had used Schoiler or Cole in that spot. That I have no doubt about. They commit for a year to these hockey federations but if the guy doesn't produce it hurts the hockey club. It costs money and a developmental spot. I will never bend from my belief that if an import isn't helping your team, that spot should be had by a Canadian kid.

Talked to a friend about Woods. He is bigger now than reported but has all kinds of speed and skill. Could be a sleeper.

Bighat
04-11-2014, 06:15 PM
I like max and I think he will help us the next 2 years.

Trav
04-11-2014, 07:37 PM

You had no problem spelling some others players names right who played less games then Kammerer did lol.

nivek_wahs
04-11-2014, 09:45 PM
Chandler Stephenson is poised to sign with the Capitals. He's agreed to terms (decent contract too) as per Greg Harder.

http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2014/04/11/stephenson-signs-with-caps/

chopper
04-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Chandler Stephenson is poised to sign with the Capitals. He's agreed to terms (decent contract too) as per Greg Harder.

http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2014/04/11/stephenson-signs-with-caps/

All in all this is very good for both Chandler and the Pats. Based on their financial commitment I agree that they will be looking to find him a spot in the pro ranks. It also serves notice that the Pats still produce a lot of good pros. I read on Phil's blog that Dyson was close to signing a contract. If someone takes him and works with him he will play in the NHL. I hope his gets done soon as well.

chopper
04-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Now that Stephenson's deal is done the likelihood of him returning as an overage has all but evaporated. I think a lot of folks including myself, felt there might be a reasonable chance of that. With the money paid on this deal I think we can put that thought to bed.

It now means that Sinitsyn is the most impact 20 year old coming from our roster. Hopefully he's back this season. We're losing 40% of our goals by graduation and we need to find a way to get some back. Having Sinitsyn back is important since I believe we need to have a stronger focus on defence this season over last. Good teams are built from the goal outward, so having a strong defence will be crucial. A few less goals scored but seriously cut down goals allowed. Just look at the defences of the final four this playoff year.

This development has in my mind shifted the focus back to going with a pretty young lineup this season. Steel, Kroeker, Cole, Smith and L. Shoiler are are reported as being big pieces so maybe it's time to inject them, and start working towards the 2-3 year goal.

Shooter
04-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Chopper yes all top WHL teams that contend and are built to WIN have one thing in common: They can skate and manage the puck at the same time with their hockey IQ and their line mates and chemistry built. Todays goals are hard to come by and chemistry is the factor and building lines that compliment each other = RESULTS. The top teams in the league play a fast brand of hockey with dump and chase last resort but manage the puck and GAME.

Columbus Blue Jackets in the NHL built their team on speed and are teaching defence and are a team that is exciting to watch and improving!

chopper
04-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Chopper yes all top WHL teams that contend and are built to WIN have one thing in common: They can skate and manage the puck at the same time with their hockey IQ and their line mates and chemistry built. Todays goals are hard to come by and chemistry is the factor and building lines that compliment each other = RESULTS. The top teams in the league play a fast brand of hockey with dump and chase last resort but manage the puck and GAME.

Columbus Blue Jackets in the NHL built their team on speed and are teaching defence and are a team that is exciting to watch and improving!

I think we're on the same page or at least I hope so:) I have studied winning teams and how they play. I include Portland, Kelowna, Edmonton, Medicine Hat, Halifax, Windsor and London. The forwards all skate well either fast or quick and they play a puck possession game. Defence is usually big, tough, mobile and make a great first pass. All these teams focus on defence first which makes them terribly difficult to play against. It's not hard to see. Just look at who's still standing in the WHL.

The Portland players are very aware of their goals against and take great pride in their defence. I read an article a few years back where Kelly McCrimmon said that having speedy forwards helps more on defence than offence. Fast skaters can stay with their checks to prevent plays and never allow outnumbered situations. When turnovers happen and they do, the quick players bring the fast offence and constantly put pressure on the other team.

IMO we need to inject our young talent into the lineup and become a quick strike and possession offence. Guys like Wagner and Zimmer are very fast and could become very dangerous wingers with their speed. Hopefully our GM is looking at the final four and taking notes. In order to get where they are, we need to be what they are!

We need to start in goal where we are pretty good, out to defence where we need to re-work it with both size and puck movers, then hand it to a bunch of young but talented forwards who learn to be special. It seems over the last decade we have never had enough special players at any one single time. Lets put something in place where we have four or five. We need kids who are smart, have high hockey IQ's, and have great speed or quickness. Time to follow the template of championship clubs.

RWAH
04-17-2014, 08:59 PM
The other point is the elite teams build from within. They scout well, draft well and develop the young players. They also, and we missed the boat more than once on this, they trade assets in the years that they are not top 4 or 5 and stock up for the years they will be top 4 or 5. when you need to shop for that one piece to put you in the top 1 or 2 you need something in the cupboard to barter with.
IMO we are headed that direction. our scouting is better, our drafts have been better and our player development is better. I do think we should have been more pro-active to trade Leier, Stevenson and Stephenson this year and recovered some young guns and picks. hopefully we will be trading this season.

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL YOU POSTERS

chopper
04-19-2014, 09:07 AM
The other point is the elite teams build from within. They scout well, draft well and develop the young players. They also, and we missed the boat more than once on this, they trade assets in the years that they are not top 4 or 5 and stock up for the years they will be top 4 or 5. when you need to shop for that one piece to put you in the top 1 or 2 you need something in the cupboard to barter with.
IMO we are headed that direction. our scouting is better, our drafts have been better and our player development is better. I do think we should have been more pro-active to trade Leier, Stevenson and Stephenson this year and recovered some young guns and picks. hopefully we will be trading this season.

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL YOU POSTERS

Pretty much agree with all of the this. The scouting has to be top drawer which it wasn't always in the past. When you look at the final four in the WHL, and the likes of Colorado, Detroit, Columbus and Montreal you see what speed is doing. Speed and quickness in our lineup is long overdue.

In order to get rolling last season we needed to trade for six players and had to give up picks to get them. The net result is that our position at the draft table for the next few years is somewhat compromised. We are short a lot of good picks, and you can't win that way. When you need to turn over a third of your team to be competitive you know you have a problem.

Even with our returning offence we won't be deep or terribly experienced. We have a few assets that need to be turned into needed pieces going forward. About 10 years ago we were setting up with a bunch of young guys on a rebuild. Our manager got impatient and traded most for big slow guys in the 07-08 season. We lost in the first round and started our downhill spiral. We haven't tried a rebuild since. All the trades of picks for veterans we've done since haven't netted anything worthwhile. It should have been the other way around.

IMO what we gained by keeping our assets this last season isn't worth what we would have gained by trading them. We could have received the same return Saskatoon did from PA and Swift Current. My how that would have improved our situation for this season and the ones to come. It would have been the catalyst to turn us into an elite organization. With as weak as the division was I think we could have still made the playoffs. We couldn't have done any poorer in the first round with a bunch of kids!!!! Another missed opportunity.

Owners know it's easier to sell a winning club. GM's know they need to keep the owners happy. Coaches are trying to build resumes and winning is what they need to show. We need an organization at all levels that is committed to a 2 or 3 year rebuild and stick to it come what may. The necessary people and commitment need to be in place for this process to to reach actualization.

patsdude114
04-19-2014, 04:18 PM
Even with our returning offence we won't be deep or terribly experienced. We have a few assets that need to be turned into needed pieces going forward. About 10 years ago we were setting up with a bunch of young guys on a rebuild. Our manager got impatient and traded most for big slow guys in the 07-08 season. We lost in the first round and started our downhill spiral. We haven't tried a rebuild since. All the trades of picks for veterans we've done since haven't netted anything worthwhile. It should have been the other way around.

Yep I remember that season well, we went with 5 quality 16yr olds in Logan Pyett, Ian Duval, Ryan McDonald, Justin Bernhardt & Craig Schria when all was said and done only Pyett wasn't traded (also didn't play as a 20yr old) all the rest had played as 20yr olds in the league and all developed into solid players. Bernhardt was even a 104pt guy as a 20yr old where McDonald put up 99pts (101pts as 19yr old).....Had Dumbass Parker not traded those guys when they would of been all 19 we would of also had 42goal man in Eberle as a 17yr old....funny how all our problems end up with the word Parker in the convo.....

I truly feel that if Lang is serious about rebuilding this franchise properly we need another year like that where was can insert 4 or 5 16yr olds into the roster Steel, Smith, L. Schoiler, Elmer & Pouteau or Freadrich (Freadrich would be like a Pyett all offense) would fit the bill along with some 17yr olds like Cole, Kroeker, Berg, Kallis or Hilsendager & if at all possible Finlay. These types of bold moves is what this franchise needs to really rebuild into something special in a few years, all these fill in pieces that happen every year just isn't making us a special team year in & year out.

chopper
04-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Yup...the fab five! If they had hung on to these guys for one more season and along with Eberle, we may have had something special. Neither Parker nor Hunt subscribed to team speed. Trading for guys like Elder, Watt, DePape and others made the team one of the slowest in the league. They didn't realize Terry Simpson hockey had disappeared years before. I hope our current management realizes it.

Crush Kill Destroy
04-22-2014, 07:20 AM
Yep I remember that season well, we went with 5 quality 16yr olds in Logan Pyett, Ian Duval, Ryan McDonald, Justin Bernhardt & Craig Schria when all was said and done only Pyett wasn't traded (also didn't play as a 20yr old) all the rest had played as 20yr olds in the league and all developed into solid players. Bernhardt was even a 104pt guy as a 20yr old where McDonald put up 99pts (101pts as 19yr old).....Had Dumbass Parker not traded those guys when they would of been all 19 we would of also had 42goal man in Eberle as a 17yr old....funny how all our problems end up with the word Parker in the convo.....

I truly feel that if Lang is serious about rebuilding this franchise properly we need another year like that where was can insert 4 or 5 16yr olds into the roster Steel, Smith, L. Schoiler, Elmer & Pouteau or Freadrich (Freadrich would be like a Pyett all offense) would fit the bill along with some 17yr olds like Cole, Kroeker, Berg, Kallis or Hilsendager & if at all possible Finlay. These types of bold moves is what this franchise needs to really rebuild into something special in a few years, all these fill in pieces that happen every year just isn't making us a special team year in & year out.

The large point totals that you have included appear to be the penalty minute totals for those players for those particular seasons.

patsdude114
04-22-2014, 04:43 PM
The large point totals that you have included appear to be the penalty minute totals for those players for those particular seasons.

lmao your right I did wow an honest mistake a quick correction there lol

Bernhart
92pts as 20yr old
57pts as 19yr old

McDonald
63pts as 20yr old
59pts as 19yr old

thanks for pointing that out I was using hockeydb when I got my info and looked under the wrong column

chopper
04-24-2014, 05:00 PM
lmao your right I did wow an honest mistake a quick correction there lol

Bernhart
92pts as 20yr old
57pts as 19yr old

McDonald
63pts as 20yr old
59pts as 19yr old

thanks for pointing that out I was using hockeydb when I got my info and looked under the wrong column

Still what great crop of 19 and 20 year olds we would have had. Include Ian Duval who went on to play in the memorial Cup with Kelowna. Then add in a high scoring 17 year old by the name of Eberle we could have made some noise. Instead we got Depape, Watt, Elder and others. We didn't want them unless they were big and couldn't skate. A pennant and a first round punt. We were on the cusp of something really good and dismantled it.

patsdude114
04-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Still what great crop of 19 and 20 year olds we would have had. Include Ian Duval who went on to play in the memorial Cup with Kelowna. Then add in a high scoring 17 year old by the name of Eberle we could have made some noise. Instead we got Depape, Watt, Elder and others. We didn't want them unless they were big and couldn't skate. A pennant and a first round punt. We were on the cusp of something really good and dismantled it.

hahaa ya the great additions by Parker with those players were....

Troy Ofukany
Mike Reich
Kaspars Saulietis
Kirt Hill
Myles Stoesz (although he was 1 tough customer)
Michael MacAngus
Josh Elder

& the guys we traded to get these players were....

Justin Bernhardt
Ryan McDonald
Derek Hulak (the 1 good trade Parker did do for a kid was trading this guy back home)
Ian Duval
Jason MacDonald
Brayden Metz

ontheice
04-25-2014, 10:42 PM
I have been watching Portland, Kelowna and Edmonton, and all three have a similar approach. They all have and number of skilled fast players, most around 5'10", one larger power forward on each of their top two lines, and larger dmen that can move the puck quickly to the skilled guys, allowing quick transitions.

The Pats need those fast skilled forwards! Don't need to look just at top to draft rounds, as the WHL drafts so young, it is usually your rounds 8-14 that provide the biggest surprises! Lots of examples past and present.

RWAH
04-26-2014, 09:54 AM
the nature of the beast is that the early drafts are expected to do well so it will be the late picks that are the surprises. If you track the draft, there is a large percentage of the first two rounds that play in the league and the percentage goes down as the rounds go up.
You are correct that with the draft so young and players having more than one avenue to travel that there are exceptions to that., but you can't build a team with 8th to 12th round picks.

patsdude114
04-26-2014, 12:21 PM
I have said before that as long as we make due with our 1st and 2nd round picks this year we will be ok out of this draft. Now don't get me wrong if we can pick up a pick or 2 that we're missing all the power to Lang with that. He has done a great job with list players, as Long as the ones he has lists can come in and compete fr jobs and push the draft picks, but if they are just bodies then we have a long ways to go.

Just curious was Hunt and Gay listed by Lang? Or was the the old bum of a GM? I'm not sure on Hunt but I'm pretty sure Gay was listed by Lang anyways.

Another what week or so until the bantam draft, I'm fully expecting Lang to make at least two trades at the draft.

chopper
04-26-2014, 01:49 PM
the nature of the beast is that the early drafts are expected to do well so it will be the late picks that are the surprises. If you track the draft, there is a large percentage of the first two rounds that play in the league and the percentage goes down as the rounds go up.
You are correct that with the draft so young and players having more than one avenue to travel that there are exceptions to that., but you can't build a team with 8th to 12th round picks.

I agree with this take. Teams are built with the premise that their top picks (rnds 1-2-3) are successes. A number of years back we took Miller and Favreau in 1st rnd back to back drafts. Neither worked out and that set us back 4-5 years. Then you have the 2011 draft where we gave up our 1st rnd pick for two 2nd rnd picks and they haven't worked out. Then there was losing a pick outright on the Marincin deal. These types of moves kill you, plain and simple.

Late round and list players sometimes can help as secondary pieces but you won't win a championship with a team built on low picks. You still need these picks to fill in the holes. Late round picks sometimes materialize but they are usually flyers a team guesses with. Eberle was one, Liepic and Severson also come to mind. It really helps a team when this happens, but it rarely does.

Kroeker was a 7th rnd pick who was a late bloomer but won his league (CSSHL) scoring title last season and at 6'2" he will make the Pats this year. Elmer is a scoring machine who was taken in the 6th round and has a got shot to play for us down the road. Continually trading away your 3rd to 6th round picks can be crippling. The Pats need to stop doing that.

On another note I have been watching the Telus Cup games and have been paying attention to our prospects there. Liam Finlay has been playing great and this kid is a dynamic player. Ryker Cole on the other hand was far less than impressive.

I also agree with "Ontheice". That is how great teams are being built and if the Pats hope to get to that stature is they need more skill and speed up front, along with big puck moving d-men. Bob Green built Medicine Hat that way. He then took it to the Oil Kings. Johnston has built the WinterHawks that way as has Kelowna. You will note that Victoria which was built with big, rugged players could not handle Portland's speed and they ended up getting clobbered. I heard Don Hay say on a Shaw broadcast that he wants to turn the Giants into the same type of team....look at the successful teams and model after them.

patsdude114
04-26-2014, 05:05 PM
We lucked out with Kroeker in the 7th rd but then again nothing is set in stone yet he may not have any who success only time will tell. Same can be said with Elmer as well, he is a pure goal scorer but does his minor days continue in the junior ranks?

Every junior team needs their 1st 2nd & 3rd rd picks to come thru and be impact roster players by the time they are 18 without that it is hard to have any type of success. Teams usually get 1 or 2 roster players who become quality/decent players drafted from the 4th rd and beyond. Not too often do list players work out but when they do it's grand to an organization.

RWAH
04-26-2014, 10:50 PM
PD114 it is 5 days to the bantam draft. This coming Thursday May 1

patsdude114
04-26-2014, 10:59 PM
PD114 it is 5 days to the bantam draft. This coming Thursday May 1

Thanks I knew it was coming up soon

chopper
04-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Thanks I knew it was coming up soon

I checked the list we have against the official WHL top 10 and they are very close indeed. I would share the list with the guys here but I can't format it properly, and I'm far too lazy to hand write and type:)

IMO we're ok @# 13 since guys like Point and Reinhart were taken 14 and 15 respectively. If a few players drop there might be a gem available. If the Pats can't get someone they've targeted they might even trade down 4-6 spots in order to get some missing picks.

They may even move a roster player or two at the same time. Lang has said he wants to get bigger on the back end. That could mean guys like Mumby and Williams might be available. Regardless of who, I agree with you there likely should be some moves.

sbtatter
04-27-2014, 05:02 PM
I checked the list we have against the official WHL top 10 and they are very close indeed. I would share the list with the guys here but I can't format it properly, and I'm far too lazy to hand write and type:)

IMO we're ok @# 13 since guys like Point and Reinhart were taken 14 and 15 respectively. If a few players drop there might be a gem available. If the Pats can't get someone they've targeted they might even trade down 4-6 spots in order to get some missing picks.

They may even move a roster player or two at the same time. Lang has said he wants to get bigger on the back end. That could mean guys like Mumby and Williams might be available. Regardless of who, I agree with you there likely should be some moves.

You guys got a link to the spot on the WHL site that has the top prospects listed?

nivek_wahs
04-27-2014, 06:30 PM
You guys got a link to the spot on the WHL site that has the top prospects listed?

I think they are using this....

http://westernelitehockeyprospects.com/bantam-prospects/wehp-release-top-10-april-player-rankings.html

patsdude114
04-27-2014, 06:32 PM

No its a PDF file im not too computer techy to get it to convert so i can copy and paste it for all to see... its like the top 260 guys for the upcoming draft and the top 100 kids for next years draft also (which im sure has very little merit as it will change tons next year as all the kids get a year older)

here is the top 22 i posted off this PDF file on the other whl board (that has all those crazy americans on it)

Stelio Mattheos RW 6'1 174lbs
Winnipeg Monarch WPG AAA
32gp 53g 50a 103pts 28pim

Jordy Bellerive C 5'10 170
NSWC PCAHA
no stats on him

Brendan Semchuk C 5'11 160
Kamloops Jardine OMAHA
no stats on him

Nolan Kneen D 5'10 160
NSWC Winterhawks PCAHA
no stats on him

Justin Almeida C/LW 5'9 135
NSWC Winterhawks
no stats on him

Michael Rasmussen LW 6'1 170
OHA PREP
59gp 41g 46a 87pts 123pim

Jaret Anderson-Dolan C 5'10 155
Edge Mountaineers PREP
50gp 67g 36a 103pts 10pim

Scott Walford D 5'11 174
OHA PREP
50gp 11g 35a 46pts 34pim

Jake Leschyshyn C 5'10 154
Saskatoon Stallions SBAAHL
31gp 31g 28a 59pts 69pim

Zane Franklin C 5'9 175
Lloyminster Heat AMBHL
27gp 47g 42a 89pts 65pim

Jantzen Leslie D 6'1 174
Llyodminster Heat AMBHL
30gp 15g 25a 40pts 63pim

Dylan Plouffe D 5'11 170
Sherwood Park Flyers AMBHL
33gp 22g 36a 58pts 76pim

Josh Brook D 5'10 155
Notre Dame Hounds SMAAHL
29gp 6g 17a 23pts 50pim

Josh Paterson RW 6'1 170
Edmonton SSAC AMBHL
32gp 46g 51a 97pts 10pim

Max Martin D 5'11 178
Winnipeg Monarchs WPG AAA
31gp 18g 41a 59pts 30pim

Dominic Schmiemann D 6'2 160
Notre Dame Hounds SMAAHL
30gp 3g 12a 15pts 76pim

Ian Scott G 6'2 164
Calgary Northstar Sabres AMBHL
6-15-1 3.12GAA .916SV%

Jarrett Tyszka D 6'1 154
Langley Eagles PCAHA
no stats on him

James Malm C 5'9 150
BWC Bruins PCAHA
no stats no him

Dawson Holt C 5'9 165
Saskatoon Generals SBAAHL
26gp 35g 38a 73pts 42pim

Ethan King D 6'3 196
POE PREP
47gp 5g 29a 34pts 46pim

Ryan Peckford C 5'11 174
Spruce Grove Pac Saints AMBHL
33gp 28g 32a 60pts 44pim

There is enough info for the 1st round, i have a list of the top 260 players for the upcoming draft. I just put the info on here so if any mistakes on stats and such are not my fault

patsdude114
04-27-2014, 06:38 PM
I think they are using this....

http://westernelitehockeyprospects.com/bantam-prospects/wehp-release-top-10-april-player-rankings.html

that is what were using but what were using goes a lot more in depth then just the top 10 for each age group

sbtatter
04-27-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the links and lists guys, much appreciated!

patsdude114
04-29-2014, 11:37 PM
Big day tomorrow for the Regina Pats and Prince George Cougars in getting the sales of their franchises approved. Ha I almost think that the WHL will be finally happy to have nothing more to do with the Parker's, even though Brent was out of the picture if Russ had not sold the team before his expiry date came around I'm pretty sure that Brent would of been the onto guy again even if his mother was still around. So this sale assures the league they never have to deal with Brent again as he wasn't a very likes guy when he was the GM.

Our first major step in turning this franchise around begins tomorrow after the meeting.

Go Pats!

witness
04-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Patsdude,
Are you able to share the rest of the list???

From my take:

If Leschyshyn happens to be available for the Pats, take him! Don't think it is likely. He has been listed consistently in the top 10 and I believe he will be taken there.

The one that is interesting is Josh Brook out of Notre Dame. Didn't hear a lot about the kid in November, seems to be a fair amount of talk about him now.

chopper
04-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Patsdude,
Are you able to share the rest of the list???

From my take:

If Leschyshyn happens to be available for the Pats, take him! Don't think it is likely. He has been listed consistently in the top 10 and I believe he will be taken there.

The one that is interesting is Josh Brook out of Notre Dame. Didn't hear a lot about the kid in November, seems to be a fair amount of talk about him now.

I have the list as well but I can't format it into something that I can post here. PD114 has posted the top 22 and it's pretty much right on, depending on various teams needs. Max Gildon out of Texas is the top d-man in the draft and Baron Thompson out of Omaha is one of the top forwards. The question is how many WHL GM,s are going to risk taking either of these kids? They are prime candidates for the USA development program. Some kids will rise in the draft and others will fall for whatever reason. The Pats will simply need to see what's available at #13. There is also a chance they could move down some spots to acquire some mid round picks.

patsdude114
04-30-2014, 04:37 PM
ok I figured out a way for all to see this draft list... I hope this works and that I did it right

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51XPkz-vNwQdUU2TVlic2VkNGs/edit?usp=sharing

that link should have the file uploaded and anyone who clicks on the link can view it as I have the sharing set to public (for a short time frame prob a couple weeks)

chopper
04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
ok I figured out a way for all to see this draft list... I hope this works and that I did it right

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B51XPkz-vNwQdUU2TVlic2VkNGs/edit?usp=sharing

that link should have the file uploaded and anyone who clicks on the link can view it as I have the sharing set to public (for a short time frame prob a couple weeks)

It worked good man. Check out #240 and #245. Even if it's Tier 2 those are some healthy numbers.

witness
05-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Worked for me, too.

Thanks Man!
Makes the day a little more interesting to have a list of names in front of you.

On a side note, it is a little disappointing to see the lack of local boys on the list.

patsdude114
05-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Hopefully you guys can keep me posted of at least our top 2 picks and any trades that we may make today as I gotta drive dump truck today.

Fight Guy
05-01-2014, 09:31 AM
Pats take goaltender Jordan Hollett from OHA.

Jordan Hollett G OHA Prep 6’2 175 Mar 31/99 23-4-0 1.74 6SO

Kind of cool that you can watch the draft live on WHL.ca. One thing I thought was interesting, is that they took awhile to go up and announce their pick, like they really weren't ready or sure what they should do. Didn't expect them to pick a goalie in the first round. Sounds like a pretty decent goalie though.

chopper
05-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Kind of cool that you can watch the draft live on WHL.ca. One thing I thought was interesting, is that they took awhile to go up and announce their pick, like they really weren't ready or sure what they should do. Didn't expect them to pick a goalie in the first round. Sounds like a pretty decent goalie though.

Ya I noticed that too. It looks like there may have been some disagreement on the pick. When McMullen was talking to Peter Loubardias after the pick, he talked of it being a consensus of the scouts and pretty high to pick a goalie. I got the sense he wanted to pick a forward and there were some very good ones available. In the 2nd round we picked Erick Gardiner out of Humbodt who is a C/LW and averaged about 2 points per game. The sucky part is now we are shut out for the next two rounds.

RWAH
05-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Second round pick
Erik Gardiner Centre Humboldt, Sask. 5.11 160 Humboldt Broncos..

he will need to gain some weight at 160 lbs he is amoung the lightest drafted thus far

chopper
05-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Gardiner is a brother to Ried Gardiner of the PA Raiders.

patsdude114
05-01-2014, 11:43 AM

I'm definitely not a fan of using a 1st round pick on a goalie at the junior level. They take longer to develop and very seldom do teams use a 20yo goalie even if they don't go pro

RWAH
05-01-2014, 01:10 PM
How many times has Chad l said "we need to get bigger"??? We have only 3 picks in the first 6 rounds and we take a tender and 2 skaters under 6 feet. Looks to me that we are NOT meeting the goal of getting bigger
PD114 I agree whats with taking a tender in the first half of first round and look at the 23 pick Eathen King a 6ft 4 in 210 lb D man (is that not what we wanted)
I'm no scout or GM and only time will tell

patsdude114
05-01-2014, 01:21 PM
For what it matters I will be sending the pods an email regarding this drive as a paying season-ticket holder I think so far this years draft step backwards. I know the email will be pointless but it makes me feel better and in the end that's all that matters (looking out for #1) lol

RWAH
05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Only 3 weeks and we get a look at this steller crop of draft picks. Spring camp is set for May 24 and 25.

SectionNDeserter
05-01-2014, 02:13 PM
How many times has Chad l said "we need to get bigger"??? We have only 3 picks in the first 6 rounds and we take a tender and 2 skaters under 6 feet. You do know that those players under six feet will be considerably bigger in a year and a half when they are eligible to play for the Pats, right?

patsdude114
05-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Yes I agree they will be abit bigger by the time they are able to play in the league bu when this franchise has been small for the last 20yrs it would be nice to see a draft of mainly 6'0 or bigger players. That's what I would assume he is getting at Anyways with the smaller kids being drafted.

RWAH
05-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Yes they will grow bigger but they will not be 6 foot 4 and 210 lbs and E King is right now as a 14. What will he be in two years? What will all the 6 foot plus players (drafted by the other teams) be in the 2015/16 or 2016/17 season. There are exceptions, and the odd player that has a dramatic growth spurt between age 14 and 16 but most are maxed at 2 more inches and 40 lbs.
Like I said I am no scout or GM and only time will tell.

witness
05-01-2014, 03:49 PM
and there are a number of 6' 14 year olds that have topped out at 15.
Not enough skill and could no longer dominate with just size.

I don't mind drafting a goaltender in the 1st round, as long as he is a 3 year starter. From the reports Hollett is a good one. I think the hesitation was some of the quality left on the table that the Pats scouts didn't expect.

Not as deep of draft as last year. I would only expect 2 or 3 of these players will make the Pats. Where I would expect 4 or 5 from last years draft.

RWAH
05-01-2014, 04:02 PM
What the league rule. and the PPL do you have some time to add these drafts and drop some or does it need to be done by the end of the week. Or What? You can move your 20 off the 50 man PPL and have a seperate college list. Just wondering

chopper
05-01-2014, 04:27 PM
I have always preferred bigger teams and I do believe there was more size available, I think not having a 3rd or 4th round pick may have impacted that somewhat.

I looked at the Portland WinterHawks, a franchise I consider to be the most elite and best in the league;
Leier 5'11"
Leipsic 5'10"
Bjorkstrand 6'
Petan 5'9"
De'Leo 5'10"
five of their d-men are exactly 6', one 6'2" and one 6'3"

We Drafted;
Hollett 6'3"
Gardiner 6'
Bruce 5'10" -(165 pim)
Welke 5'9"
Cox 6'2"
Ewart 6'1"
Haden 5'8"
Sandstrom 6'1"
Holmes 5'10"

I think Haden was rated at somewhere around #30 so for him to be available in the 9th round I think they had to take him. Welke was in the 7th round and he had been rated much higher. Not having 3,4 rnd picks and to find those two guys available at those rounds is astounding. Cox is already 6'2" and Gardiner is 6' so both of those guys should be well over 6' by the time they ever play here. All the d-men should be 6' or better.

If the 5'10" guys get to around 6' and the 5'8 guys get to around 5'10" we might be OK. Haden and Welke have speed and skill which is something we are sorely lacking. Hard not to take them if they are available. I have no idea why they took Holmes as he is not huge and had like 2 goals in Bantam last season.

The thing is if we can put 4 or five speed skill guys together at the same time maybe we could start to look at how the WinterHawks do it. Time will only tell how these drafts work out. Like I said I like bigger teams but you can't win without some speed and skill.

patsdude114
05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
After seeing the actual size of all the players we selects maybe it's not so bad after all. First look at them is at spring camp which I will be attending for the 2nd year in a row then training camp which will be #4 in a row for me.

So no trades today by the pats then?

chopper
05-01-2014, 06:02 PM
and there are a number of 6' 14 year olds that have topped out at 15.
Not enough skill and could no longer dominate with just size.

I don't mind drafting a goaltender in the 1st round, as long as he is a 3 year starter. From the reports Hollett is a good one. I think the hesitation was some of the quality left on the table that the Pats scouts didn't expect.

Not as deep of draft as last year. I would only expect 2 or 3 of these players will make the Pats. Where I would expect 4 or 5 from last years draft.

I agree with this. I think this draft was more of a crapshoot than anything else. I talked to a couple guys in the biz and they said after about #15 all bets were off. You might get as good a player in the 5th round as 2nd round.

Obviously Steel, Smith, and Schoiler (if he signs) are all can't miss prospects and a couple more are close. This draft it seems that perhaps Hollett is the only one. Again time will tell. However it appears like the Pats may have stolen Haden (9th) and Welke (7th). It would be nice to compliment Steel with another of similar ilk. MUch like Petan and Liepsic..:)

nivek_wahs
05-01-2014, 06:06 PM
After seeing the actual size of all the players we selects maybe it's not so bad after all. First look at them is at spring camp which I will be attending for the 2nd year in a row then training camp which will be #4 in a row for me.

So no trades today by the pats then?I'm not sure of the actual deals but there were two "pick for pick" deals. I believe Lethbridge and Swift Current were involved.

chopper
05-01-2014, 09:37 PM
The Pats switched with Lethbridge to get a 6th round pick today. They gave them our 6th in 2015. A few trades like Cote to Red Deer, Gaudet to Kamloops and Forsberg to Saskatoon was the biggest. Nothing important involving us.

I think it's worthy to talk about the Pats and a few other teams being reluctant to draft USA players. It's a resource that is available and we are not using whatsoever. A number of teams took flyers on players but not us. Long term that will need to change.

I suspect it has to do with our recent lack of real success and the limited draftees we've had in the last couple years. Portland's great and prolonged success makes them an easy sell. We are not at that level yet but hopefully one day will be.

American kids will come to the prairies like Emerson Etem did in Medicine Hat along with Mike Modano years ago in PA. This year Tommy Vannelli played in the Hat, so these kids will come if the program is top notch and the selling presentation is first class.

Vancouver took Max Gildon in the 3rd round. If he wants to play in the WHL at some point it's either Vancouver, or Vancouver will get a 1st round pick for him from some other team. Either way they come up on top. It's a good strategy that has paid off before.

I hope this organization becomes elite again at some point. Perhaps then we might be able to make the occasional bold move. IMO with the numbers of USA players being made available we will have to become players at some point or risk handcuffing ourselves.

patsdude114
05-01-2014, 11:00 PM
I wouldn't want to see us waste to high of a pick on a USA born player just due to the fact that the CHL really isn't on there radar to play in, anything higher then a 5th round pick imo is too high of a pick to waste on them. With the USA kids the main goal is obviously NCAA as its the American way to get scholarships, they want to play hockey while they get an education where here in Canada its play hockey first get your schooling after. Neither way is wrong its just the way of thinking is all.....

My question though with the WHL education fund is that fund valid for the USA players to go to US Colleges or do they have to attend a Canadian school?

chopper
05-01-2014, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't want to see us waste to high of a pick on a USA born player just due to the fact that the CHL really isn't on there radar to play in, anything higher then a 5th round pick imo is too high of a pick to waste on them. With the USA kids the main goal is obviously NCAA as its the American way to get scholarships, they want to play hockey while they get an education where here in Canada its play hockey first get your schooling after. Neither way is wrong its just the way of thinking is all.....

My question though with the WHL education fund is that fund valid for the USA players to go to US Colleges or do they have to attend a Canadian school?

They can attend a college of their choice. The OHL and QMJHL are already ahead of us when it come to American born players. They take US born players in the top rounds of their priority selection. The WHL has been slow to react to the new realities. Not all players are going to get scholarships, not all have S.A.T scores that will get them free rides. The sheer volume of players that are attending combines is growing exponentially every single year. A lot of teams have already reacted to this, and we need to as well.

It's already known that larger numbers are coming available every single year. It isn't going downward. The WHL and member teams have to produce more glitzy videos for kids and parents. They need to promote their brand by using professionals to prepare and distribute these packages. Promote the fact that Tyler Johnson is in the running for the Calder Trophy. Within a few years USA kids will be selected routinely in the first three rounds. It's a resource we can't afford to ignore.

chopper
05-02-2014, 12:12 AM
I see that Don Hay is returning to Kamloops to coach the Blazers. I'm betting he will have a pretty big say in the player personnel he wants. This is going to substantially strengthen the Blazers and he will right the ship there. The question that remains in my mind is; how long before they are back in the Memorial Cup? Rhetorically I'm saying not too long at all. He did wonders with them before and I'm of a mind he will do it again before very long.

chopper
05-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Having had a day to digest the draft I think as a whole we did ok. While conventional wisdom says we could have waited a bit to take a goalie, Hollett looks to be the real deal. You never know the true value of goaltending until you don't have it. Playoffs this year!

To get two skill guys in Haden and Welke in the late rounds really offset the loss of 3rd and 4th picks. They should have never been there. Roche-Setoguchi(Lethbridge) should never have fallen to the 5th round. For various reason kids sometimes get lost in the draft.

If we get a stud goalie, a d-man, and two forwards this will have been a very successful draft. IMO the scouting staff deserves credit. It allowed our GM to escape a bad situation in good shape. Now it's up to the kids to put the work in to get to the next level.

Now Lang has to firm up his coaching staff, assess his roster, and look at what he needs for the upcoming season. Lang said he wants to get bigger on the back end. If they go with a younger lineup some genuine toughness will be needed. Lots of work left to do.

patsdude114
05-04-2014, 03:14 PM
Totally off topic here with the Pats but how on earth does Steven Papp get to ref in the WHL Championship? He is such a horrible ref he has problems keeping up between 2 terrible WHL teams let alone 2 WHL Elite teams.

Also is there not any US born officals in our league that could of been selected as well?

http://www.whl.ca/article/championship-series-officials-announced

chopper
05-04-2014, 04:32 PM
The Eliteprospects site has a synopsis of the recent draft. They felt Saskatoon, Vancouver, Lethbridge, and Brandon had done very well. They were NOT very complementary with the Pats draft, saying in part we took some people too high. I assume they are talking about our 1 and 2nd round picks. Listening to McMullin it seemed as if he was tepid to our picks. He didn't seem enthused with our first pick and said the second pick was a good player but played with inferior players in a weaker league. He said our pick Ewert likely wouldn't be a top four guy but maybe 5-6!! Really!! We can find and list bottom 5-6 d-men anytime so why draft them?

I get a sense he wanted to pick a top forward/d-man with the pick Speculation here; Josh paterson was one of the leading scorers in the Alberta Bantam League with like 100 points and is 6'2"??? (Saskatoon stole him in 2nd rnd) Zane Franklin was the leading goal scorer in the League and he could have been had in the 2nd round (rated 10th overall). In the 5th and 6th rounds there were some very good goalies still available.

Overall not much commentary or hype over this draft as opposed to last. With these new picks I wonder if anyone knows when the Pats will need to update their 50 man ppl? Lang did say he had offers at the draft to either move down or do something involving players. He further stated that some of the groundwork for future trades had taken place.

There is always a surprise or two when the League announces it's final officiating crew.

Shooter
05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Do not get sold on elite prospects site unless they are now actually watching players. A game sheet is not an accurate accessment on a player.

If this New DRAFT goalie is an elite stud starter at age 17-18 it was the right pick however goalies take some grooming! If it was not for Bob Gainey's leadership the Montreal Canadians would of gave up on Mr. Carey Price when he was struggling infact he got benched for playoffs but the best of the best Managers believe in their vision.

It would be no surprise if the Pats clean house and start with their new owners vision shortly. With the proper marketing initiatives they can get the people in the stands with a roster that is rebuilding for sure with the right leadership.

Many of the WHL teams are 1st class all the way from on ice to off ice with nutrician, game in house meal planning and preparing for games. Yes 10-20 percent better performance = success! I believe the new ownership will be 1st class all the way and Regina will become a place where players will want to come soon like the Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver teams.

GO RIDERS

chopper
05-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Do not get sold on elite prospects site unless they are now actually watching players. A game sheet is not an accurate accessment on a player.

If this New DRAFT goalie is an elite stud starter at age 17-18 it was the right pick however goalies take some grooming! If it was not for Bob Gainey's leadership the Montreal Canadians would of gave up on Mr. Carey Price when he was struggling infact he got benched for playoffs but the best of the best Managers believe in their vision.

It would be no surprise if the Pats clean house and start with their new owners vision shortly. With the proper marketing initiatives they can get the people in the stands with a roster that is rebuilding for sure with the right leadership.

Many of the WHL teams are 1st class all the way from on ice to off ice with nutrician, game in house meal planning and preparing for games. Yes 10-20 percent better performance = success! I believe the new ownership will be 1st class all the way and Regina will become a place where players will want to come soon like the Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver teams.

GO RIDERS

Don't know too much about Eliteprospects but 16 of their top 22 finished in the first round. A few teams went off the board but overall they were pretty accurate. Teams always have specific players or needs in mind.

I do agree that running a team as a professional entity brings results. A year or so back we had a strength and conditioning coach on staff. I don't know if he still is but we seriously need that as well. Portland employs a "skills development" coach (some european guy I think) to work with players. He developed skating, passing, and stick handling drills for the players to work on each practice, and he checks in on them personally every so often to see what progress has been made. Some teams are now doing this and it is something we should definitely consider. A nutritionist should be working with billets to ensure proper nutrition even if it means coughing up a bit more money for the food requirements.

I have no problem with the current staffing however every new owner wants to put his own stamp on his team. It should be noted our current GM likes to trade picks to bring in players, much like BP did. We went to this draft missing our 3rd and 4th round picks. We made a trade to get one in the 6th. Next draft 2015 we are again missing a number of picks, and in 2016 we are nearly picked clean. We have very little at that draft. All of the guys we should have traded to rebuild and get those picks, are gone. We have very little elite product left to trade in a recovery attempt. At some point these guys are going to clean house and start the way they want to.

patsdude114
05-06-2014, 05:17 PM
I have no problem with the current staffing however every new owner wants to put his own stamp on his team. It should be noted our current GM likes to trade picks to bring in players, much like BP did. We went to this draft missing our 3rd and 4th round picks. We made a trade to get one in the 6th. Next draft 2015 we are again missing a number of picks, and in 2016 we are nearly picked clean. We have very little at that draft. All of the guys we should have traded to rebuild and get those picks, are gone. We have very little elite product left to trade in a recovery attempt. At some point these guys are going to clean house and start the way they want to.

Lang basically did the exact same thing as Brent Parker did always trading picks to get players which leads me to believe that he was being told to do this sort of stuff for the ownership group could try to enjoy some extra playoff revenue even if only 2 games...same old past ownership group no matter who was the GM.

I have very little doubt that Klimchuk will be traded this season to recoup picks and a prospect as well...could even see Williams being moved as well as he prob has some decent trade value since he was actually having some success last year in the numbers side of the game plus his defensive game really improved a lot....you could even see a guy like Hunt being moved around trade deadline as he could become 1 of the better 19yr olds in the league (who are not a 1st or 2nd round pick) if he keeps progressing like has 1 would think he would be able to return a mid tier prospect and a 3rd rd pick (maybe even a better pick then 3rd)

Hey never know maybe we draft the right euro & we find another Nikita Scherbak to give us some more offensive power....haha hey stranger things have happened

Bighat
05-06-2014, 09:45 PM
We won't be trading any of our top players, we will have 1 of the stronger teams this coming year. The following year is where we will struggle. We have a group of 16-17 yr olds that will play well next year but will have a strong veteran leadership aswell.

patsdude114
05-07-2014, 12:19 AM
I don't see where you see 1 of the stronger teams this coming season...I hope your right but I just don't see it....we don't have anyone to get Klimchuk the puck as we are very weak down the middle. I don't see McVeigh being the guy Klimchuk needs & realistically we can not expect Steel to be that guy either at age 16 (hopefully he can be though)

If Sinitsyn doesn't return as a 2oyr old (which from the sounds of it Lang & Cameron are more then willing to use a 20yo euro) that leaves us with Christoffer D'Amico McVeigh as 20yo not a very strong group by any means.

IMO our defense is getting worse then it was last season with losing Zgraggen & most likely Sinitsyn. Our defensive zone play was a sore spot all year long and when we got Zgraggen it got better but we will be right back to where we were before we got him. We can hope that Reagan is ready to play a much bigger role but with him getting such little in game experience there will still be a big learning curve for him, Harrison improved all season long and should be able to take on a bigger role in our top 4 as he will be paired up with either Burroughs or Williams.

I personally think there are more question marks for next season then we had at the beginning of last season.

RWAH
05-07-2014, 02:47 PM
This is off topic but what are your thoughts about Sioux Falls on the USHL drafted Owen Sellinger (Mikes son) and on the Blades PPL ???

chopper
05-07-2014, 03:28 PM
This is off topic but what are your thoughts about Sioux Falls on the USHL drafted Owen Sellinger (Mikes son) and on the Blades PPL ???

Sillinger and Lipon were dropped from the Blades list the other day.

I agree with PD114 that it will be difficult for us this season. I can't imagine how we can be one of the top clubs. 40% of our goal scoring graduated. With exception of Klimchuk the rest of the returnees can only be tagged as journeymen players. A lot of them benefitted from playing with those departed guys. Defence was weak last season and so far no reinforcements have been acquired. Wapple should give us decent goaltending but he will face a lot of rubber. No 40 goal guys on this roster.

I think using 6 or 7 young guys along with three good 20 year olds, and an upgraded defence will perhaps give us a shot at a playoff spot. MJ just got another 20 year old d-man so that might make Scott Cooke available. He is the kind of guy we need to look after the young guys. Without trading assets (no more please!) we are not deep enough to be contenders. So we might as well go young and start building to be one in a couple years. Making six trades and losing picks to win an 85 pt pennant isn't the way to go.

patsdude114
05-07-2014, 07:22 PM

Any thoughts on the Pats listing Owen Sillinger since by the sounds of it Mike has some ties to this new ownership group. Hell I wouldn't be against listing Lipon either he is a small spark plug who has offense in his game, drop Ortynski and add Lipon makes sense.

chopper
05-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Any thoughts on the Pats listing Owen Sillinger since by the sounds of it Mike has some ties to this new ownership group. Hell I wouldn't be against listing Lipon either he is a small spark plug who has offense in his game, drop Ortynski and add Lipon makes sense.

I counted the Active and In The System players which = 56. I believe the dropped players haven't been removed from the list yet. If that's the case I don't know who the Pats would drop to add more players. They usually keep a spot open for emergencies.

Lipon is the best bet as he has WHL experience and worth a look. His brother JC didn't bloom until a growth spurt at 18/19. Owen Sillinger didn't put up huge numbers for the the Pat C's last season and is really small. The USHL may be best his development.

With MJ trading for Wedman(20yr) they will likely go withe Eberle and Rodewald as their other 20's. That should make Cooke available and someone the Pats might look into. IMO he would fill a big need and be a good fit for the team with Stevenson's departure.

Shooter
05-08-2014, 10:42 AM
The real question is Mike Sillinger going to be coaching the Pats along with Jamie Heward and a couple other X Pats. I guess we will find out sooner than later! The Pats will be rebuilding as their track record does not lie and the young rebuilding Wheat Kings dominated them in playoffs. The new owners will be instrumental in the process and putting the right leadership into place with all staff and management.
There could be some changes after the spring meetings regardless who has contracts!

chopper
05-08-2014, 11:36 AM
The real question is Mike Sillinger going to be coaching the Pats along with Jamie Heward and a couple other X Pats. I guess we will find out sooner than later! The Pats will be rebuilding as their track record does not lie and the young rebuilding Wheat Kings dominated them in playoffs. The new owners will be instrumental in the process and putting the right leadership into place with all staff and management.
There could be some changes after the spring meetings regardless who has contracts!

I recently read that Chad Lang will be the GM here next season. I have no idea what the terms of reference will be, or what direction he will be given from the new owners or what his mandate is. I have to believe that the new owners will have some goals and objectives in place for him as well as everyone in the organization. Often new owners will go with the status quo until they educate themselves. There is a learning curve even for a previous player like Lumbard as he's 30 years removed from the League.

Sillinger had a long journeyman type career in the NHL but never had any credible coaching background after he retired. Heward has been with Swift Current the last couple years but doesn't have much of a coaching resume. Just because you played in the NHL doesn't in any way mean you are qualified to coach a Major Junior team in 2014. Any owner that wants success needs to hire people with a history of winning and coaching at either the WHL or NHL level. Hiring a local alumni because of name recognition is a quick way to go downhill. Hiring of someone like Mike Johnston in Portland was a professional move by the new owner of the Winterhawks. Hiring buddies or non-proven coaches is a trip down loser lane. We will soon find out if the new owners are serious or not.

SectionNDeserter
05-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Hiring a local alumni because of name recognition is a quick way to go downhill.See: Edmonton Oilers

patsdude114
05-08-2014, 01:25 PM
THAT^^^^^^^^

is soooo true and not something I want to happen with our organization at all.

Our coaching is not the problem, Cameron is by far the best coach we have had since the Preston/Mollenken days....& that's no lie

chopper
05-13-2014, 09:02 AM
I watched the WHL final and one has to take your hats off to the Oil Kings. They looked down and out after two games but really came to life. It was a contrast of two styles but very good good hockey. The big, fast, defensive Oil Kings against the small, fast, and offensive Winterhawks. I think the Oil Kings will do well in London this weekend.

A few teams have been busy in the trade market but overall a bit slower than usual I think. Probably it will start to pick up pretty soon. Usually we make some off season deals but it's been quiet so far. Lang talked of re-working his defence and adding toughness.

patsdude114
05-13-2014, 04:51 PM
A few teams have been busy in the trade market but overall a bit slower than usual I think. Probably it will start to pick up pretty soon. Usually we make some off season deals but it's been quiet so far. Lang talked of re-working his defence and adding toughness.

My guess is Lang is going to wait and see where some of our '98 are in the spring camp to see how their development is and see if they will push/compete for jobs this fall.

Liam Schioler I know they want on the roster but they still haven't gotten him signed yet either. So time will tell with him...

Brady Pouteau I believe is a work in progress he has some size but im sure another year in midget will do him better.

Jared Freadrich he has a lot of offensive upside to him but is he skilled enough to make an impact at all? His is a very small Dman after all

Ryan Krushen, William Lovell are all list players where us fans have yet to see them at a camp so I highly doubt any of us have any sort of an opinion on them yet.

Anyone know the exact date on the Spring Camp yet?

chopper
05-13-2014, 10:48 PM
My guess is Lang is going to wait and see where some of our '98 are in the spring camp to see how their development is and see if they will push/compete for jobs this fall.

Liam Schioler I know they want on the roster but they still haven't gotten him signed yet either. So time will tell with him...

Brady Pouteau I believe is a work in progress he has some size but im sure another year in midget will do him better.

Jared Freadrich he has a lot of offensive upside to him but is he skilled enough to make an impact at all? His is a very small Dman after all

Ryan Krushen, William Lovell are all list players where us fans have yet to see them at a camp so I highly doubt any of us have any sort of an opinion on them yet.

Anyone know the exact date on the Spring Camp yet?

Liam Schoiler is a highly rated d-man/prospect. His reluctance to sign is concerning. If he were marginal or smaller perhaps Tier 2/NCAA might be a good route. He's a big body skilled d-man who could evolve into a top rounds NHL pick. It will hurt if he doesn't sign.

I watched Jared Freadrich at main camp last year and really liked his game. He thinks the game well, doesn't panic and makes a real good first pass. In my mind he stood out and looked like a player. His drawback is he is a bit small. Lang says he wants to be bigger and tougher so that could hurt his chances. If Land truly wants to be bigger, I see the moving of Williams and Mumby as distinct possibilities. Hard to imagine he would trade two smaller guys and then add another, however Freadrich may have sprouted up a bit.

RWAH
05-15-2014, 12:36 PM
PD114 the spring camp startes on Friday May 23 but the on ice starts on Saturday May 24 at the co-operators . There are Sunday sessions as well.

Im with you I don't see any trades until after the spring camp fot two reasons. They can see the developement of the prospects. the GM and the new ownership can mesh their respective philosophies, goals and plan.

chopper
05-15-2014, 01:26 PM
I just read a tweet that Curtis Hunt is to be named the GM/Head Coach of the Ft McMurray Oil Barons of the AJHL. I never saw Curtis leaving the area but I guess the money must be good. Additionally he gets to be the GM as well which lets him build his team the way he wants to.

patsdude114
05-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Good job for Curtis Hunt, although I never was a Hunt fan doesn't mean I wouldn't wish him the best. He was a big under achieving coach, played way too defensive (if there is such a thing)

Thanks for the info for the spring camp for next weekend, I for one really look forward to it.

patsdude114
05-20-2014, 09:55 AM
So the Yorkton Terriers won the RBC Cup this weekend, my question is are the Pats going to get the rights to their goalie again this season? I mean that goalie won the national title right so he must be ready to face WHL calibre shooters now right? I mean MacAuley was right :rolleyes:

RWAH
05-21-2014, 11:52 AM
PD114 that good. But don't hang the goat horns only on MacAuley. I recall a few losses that were the result of our awsome de-fence. He didn't turn out as well as hoped and seamed to regress as ther season progressed, but he won 25 games for us and in November was in the top 10 tenders in the league.
This season we don't need to find a tender with Wapple, Fuhr, Chapman and Brown all reporting to camp.

patsdude114
05-21-2014, 02:06 PM
It was total sarcasm RWAH sorry if you didn't pick up on it... Yes MacAuley had some alright games for us and more then a few very terrible games. He was in the top 10 at one points yes but the old saying "the sun shines on a dogs a*s once in awhile" seems fitting. I was never a MacAuley fan from the first time I saw him in camp, I tried to like him but I just couldn't prob has a lot to do with I knew he wasn't WHL calibre from the get go. He was a big body who blocked shots, it wasn't cause of his ability....just another patch for the Parker era

PD114 that good. But don't hang the goat horns only on MacAuley. I recall a few losses that were the result of our awsome de-fence. He didn't turn out as well as hoped and seamed to regress as ther season progressed, but he won 25 games for us and in November was in the top 10 tenders in the league.
This season we don't need to find a tender with Wapple, Fuhr, Chapman and Brown all reporting to camp.

RWAH
05-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Yes I knew it was sarcasm and it was good. Just don't think all the blame lays at his feet.
A correction from an earlier post when I thought that this week ends camp had only Sat and Sun ice sessions but I see from Phil's blog the ice sessions are Friday at 6:00 Saturday at 10:00 and Sunday at 10:00. I hope to take in Friday and Sunday sessions but please post your observations.

patsdude114
05-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Yes I knew it was sarcasm and it was good. Just don't think all the blame lays at his feet.
A correction from an earlier post when I thought that this week ends camp had only Sat and Sun ice sessions but I see from Phil's blog the ice sessions are Friday at 6:00 Saturday at 10:00 and Sunday at 10:00. I hope to take in Friday and Sunday sessions but please post your observations.

All good RWAH I never put all the blame on MacAuley just saying he was a patch job that they hoped had worked out better. He at best was a WHL backup not a starter & his numbers showed it especially from Dec. 1st til the end of the year.

patsdude114
05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats host their annual Spring Prospects Camp this weekend (Friday, May 23rd – Sunday, May 25th) at the Cooperators Centre. The weekend features prospects from the 1998 and 1999 born age groups and acts as an orientation for prospects new to the organization.

“From a hockey staff perspective it’s a real good opportunity for us to interact, not only with the players, but with the parents and the families,” said Pats Senior VP and General Manager Chad Lang. “We’re dealing with a smaller group, 20 players will be here, so it does allow us to spend more time one-on-one with these kids and show them what our program is all about.”

The 1998 age group includes 2013 2nd Overall pick Sam Steel who played 7 games (Regular Season/Playoffs) with the Pats in 2013-14 as well as forwards Luc Smith (2013 – 3rd Round) and Jake Elmer (2013 – 6th Round) and defencemen Brady Pouteau and Jared Freadrich (both 2013 – 4th Round). List players Sean Richards, Riley Woods, William Lovell and Ryan Krushen will also be in attendance.

The 1999 age group makes its debut in Regina this weekend featuring 2014 13th Overall selection Jordan Hollett, the first goaltender to be taken by the Pats in the opening round of aWHL Bantam Draft. Hollett is joined by nine new Pats including forward Erik Gardiner (2014 – 2nd Round) and defenceman Riley Bruce (2014 – 5th Round).

“From the players side, it’s a relaxing atmosphere,” Lang continued. “We just encourage them to have fun, enjoy it. There’s no pressure, it’s about building relationships with those that are in their peer group that are Pats prospects and getting an understanding of what it takes to have success at the Western Hockey League level.”

All on-ice sessions are open to the public.
Friday, May 23rd 6:00 p.m. @ Cooperators Centre
Saturday, May 24th 10:00 a.m. @ Cooperators Centre
Sunday, May 25th 10:00 a.m. @ Cooperators Centre

patsdude114
05-21-2014, 02:38 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/uploads/assets/WHL_REGINA_EN_SITE/Spring%20Camp%2014%20Roster.pdf

there is a PDF file of the spring camp roster.... incase you do not have a program to open a PDF file hopefully this will help

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B51XPkz-vNwQWUpBak5wM25Hd0U/edit

RWAH
05-23-2014, 09:08 PM
watched an hour and a bit and offer these opinions
Best DMan was Freadrich. He handle the puck well and made good passes out of the zone (tape to tape). Its drills and not a game but he was the best of the crew.
Best Oman was Smith (Steel not included) did the drills flawlessly, good shot, strong on this skates.
Did not stay to see any physical play or one on ones, only puck and break out drills.
Coaches stopped the drills more than once to emphasize details and doing it right and at full speed. Good to see that, set that attitude at the start and keep it through the 4 or 5 years they play here

any one else get by the rink.

patsdude114
05-23-2014, 10:45 PM
I made not out today and was pleased to see how last years class has improved a lot (which is expected)

Steel was by far the best (which was to be expected) outside of him Smith was very noticeable and not just cause he is 6'4 now also Elmer really stood out as did Richards, Holmes and Gardnier.

On defense I thought Pouteau was by far the best followed by Freidrich and Lovell, even Krushen looked good as well to round out the list guys.

After watching Hollett we definitely have a solid 1-2 punch in the years to come with Chapman and him. Steel had problems scoring on Hollett all evening and even more so during the 3on3's...... It took Elmer to end things on Hollett for the night.

I really think Elmer has a great shot at making the team we could have 3 quality 16yr olds this season in Steel, Smith & Elmer.....Elmer being the pure goal scorer between the three. I really hope the pats go very young this year use 4 or 5 16yr olds all year along with Kroeker, Cole and possibly Berg to go along with our 97's from last season.

IMO on forward unless your name is Klimchuk, Hunt or Gay I want to believe every spot is wide open. Guys like Christoffer, D'Amico are just not contributors enough to be 20yr olds, McVeigh I'm not big on much but he is the best 20yr old we have coming back. Hansen plays a good 2way game but for what he brings offensively Wagner could do the same thing and then use that spot for a younger kid. Kammerer and Brooks need to step up early next season as well, Kammerer showed some offensive flare at times last year so hopefully being a year older he is able to take on some offense now.

We have 5 forward positions wide open this year for the taking, since Leier, Stevenson, Stephenson all moved on due to age and pro commitments and Christoffer, D'Amico not being quality 20yr olds to keep. I think we will have a bigger roster turnover then normal, due to some better drafting in recent years. I still think Klimchuk will be traded at some point during the season, best return on him would be trade him early so he doesn't get the rental status on him.

Time to build something special for the years to come in Regina

chopper
05-24-2014, 01:26 PM
Liam Schoiler is a highly rated d-man/prospect. His reluctance to sign is concerning. If he were marginal or smaller perhaps Tier 2/NCAA might be a good route. He's a big body skilled d-man who could evolve into a top rounds NHL pick. It will hurt if he doesn't sign.

I watched Jared Freadrich at main camp last year and really liked his game. He thinks the game well, doesn't panic and makes a real good first pass. In my mind he stood out and looked like a player. His drawback is he is a bit small. Lang says he wants to be bigger and tougher so that could hurt his chances. If Land truly wants to be bigger, I see the moving of Williams and Mumby as distinct possibilities. Hard to imagine he would trade two smaller guys and then add another, however Freadrich may have sprouted up a bit.

I just got back from watching the prospects. Smith, Elmer and Steel set themselves apart as expected. IMO smith was far and away the best player out there. Elmer and Steel were also quite good. Those are the three 16 forwards I would be wanting to keep.

Freadrich was the best d-man out there. It's too bad that his size may restrict him. Poteau was very good as well. I haven't seen Schoiler and wonder if I ever will? Right now Frearich and Poteau seem to be the best 16 d-men we have.

Both goalies had their moments today but in my mind neither were lights out. It's way too early to tell with these guys. They usually develop slower.

As for 15 year old's I thought Haden and Sandstrom had moments. Holmes showed some compete and skill considering he was such a late pick. Hollett will have to be considered our best 15 year old.

IMO both Steel and Smith are locks with Elmer very close as well. Schoiler will be if he comes. Poteau or Freadrich have a shot. Having two young centres that are 6'4" (Smith)and 6'3" (Kroeker) is very intriguing. Can't wait for main camp.

patsdude114
05-24-2014, 02:13 PM
I agree with everything chopper said above there are only 5 skaters worth while as 16yr olds and the 3 forwards should be given every chance to make this years team. It's hard to get a reading on the goalies as 95% of the shots they face are 1on1 shots, some goalies are better at reading plays then 1on1 shots (a good example is kipper who retired from the flames)

Could tell Cameron was getting very frustrated with a few players, some hat were not grasping basic drills.

RWAH
05-24-2014, 07:22 PM
Appreciate the post for us souls how could not make it out to watch. Please post again if you are out to Sundays workout

patsdude114
05-25-2014, 12:02 PM
Today was a much better all around day for drills, the prospects came out more prepared to execute the drills right from the get go.

Got to see more 1on1 battles today and the hit of the spring camp goes to Krushen on Third today as Krushen stepped up on Third with a nice shoulder and Third ended up looking up at the roof.

Hollett just keeps on impressing but as did Chapman all weekend as well. I don't recall the Pats having 2 quality guys between the pipes with a 1yr age gap in years.

Elmer and Steel really seem to work well together in drills, maybe that can translate into scrimmage success together as well come rookie camp and into main camp. Elmer really grew over the course of the year think it was said in in his interview that he grew 4inches and over 10lbs of weight gain as he now 6'1 160....Steel really showed his strength as well, plus he had one 1on1 deke move that left all the parents in my area going 'oh wow' including myself...definitely wouldn't be a move he could pull off on a 19 or 20yr old Dman but non the less just showing off his pure skills.

patsdude114
05-25-2014, 12:25 PM
inserting the 16yr olds who were on our roster last season as well, only listing guys imo who have a legit shot at making the roster this season

FORWARDS 1997
Austin Wagner
6'2 180lbs (not sure if the Pats updated that info at the end of the year)

Rylee Zimmer 1997
6'1 160lbs (not sure if the Pats updated that info at the end of the year)

Colton Kroeker 1997
6'2 175lbs (hasn't been updated since last year's training camp, may be bigger yet)

Adam Berg 1997
6'0 170lbs (hasn't been updated since last year's training camp, may be bigger yet)

Rykr Cole 1997
5'10 160lbs

Jacob Elmer 1998
6'1 160lbs

Luc Smith 1998
6'4 205lbs

Sam Steel 1998
5'11 168lbs

DEFENSE
Brady Reagan 1997
6'3 200 (not sure if the Pats updated that info at the end of the year)

James Hilsendager 1997
6'0 170lbs (hasn't been updated since last year's training camp, should be bigger)

Brendan Kallis 1997
6'0 155lbs (hasn't been updated since last year's training camp, should be bigger)

Ryan Krushen 1998
6'2 173lbs

William Lovell 1998
6'3 195lbs

Brady Pouteau 1998
6'2 187lbs

Liam Schioler 1998
6'2 194lbs (hasn't been updated since last year's training camp, should be bigger..also needs to get signed)

There are finally some big kids in our system and it looks very promising that we should have guys like Kroeker, Smith, Wagner & Elmer on our roster. Smith needs to work on his skating stride abit but his size and strength should help him compete with even with his lack of skating. Being on the ice basically 5-6 days a week in the WHL will help his skating a lot.

RWAH
05-25-2014, 06:25 PM
I would include "Freadrich" as being in the mix to compete for a roster spot this fall. IMO he was the best skater of the Dmen there. I watch and counted 11 consecutive out passes that were tape to tape and most he was moving forward making the pass. He is smaller but is strong on his skates very hockey smart.

patsdude114
05-25-2014, 06:45 PM
He a good puck mover don't get me wrong but with Burroughs and Williams already both being under 6ft I don't see the need for another 1 as a 16yr old being there. Freadrich isn't one of those high octane offensive defensemen that it would benefit him being a PP guy as a 16yr old. So IMO another year of midget is what he needs to gain strength, log tons of minutes and be ready as a 17yr old to step in and take over for the loss of 1 of the 20yr old defensemen that we wont have (Burroughs/Williams)

patsdude114
05-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Regina, Saskatchewan - Regina Pats Senior VP and General
Manager Chad Lang announced today the team has signed goaltender Jordan
Hollett to a Standard WHL Player Agreement.

Hollett was the Pats first selection (13th Overall) in the 2014 WHL Bantam
Draft back on May 1st. The 6'3", 176 lbs goaltender played with the
Okanagan Hockey Academy in 2012-13, posting a record of 23-4-0 with a 1.75
GAA and six shutouts. Hollett is the first goaltender to be selected by the
Pats in the first round since the Bantam Draft's inception in 1990.

"I'm so, so excited," commented Hollett. "It's a big accomplishment, the
work only starts now. I'm so excited for today, and tomorrow it's back to
work." {Audio Attached}

The Langley, B.C. native has been invited to B.C. Hockey's U16 Camp as the
first step towards being selected to play for Team British Columbia at the
2015 Canada Winter Games in Prince George.

"We're extremely proud that (Jordan) is excited to be a member of this
hockey club, today's a great day for our organization," said Chad Lang. "As
good as he is on the ice, he's a tremendous young man off the ice. He
carries himself like a pro; he's very committed to becoming a Regina Pat and
putting in the effort to ensure that he gives himself every opportunity as a
16-year old to crack this lineup." {Audio Attached}

The signing comes after Hollett participated in the Pats Spring Prospects
Camp this weekend in Regina.

Daniel Fink
Director of Media and Communications
Regina Pats Hockey Club

chopper
05-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Freadrich is a fascinating prospect. He could be described a bit of a "tweener". His offensive skills are great and he plays real smart defensively. The problem is his size as a d-man goes against what Lang says they are building. It's a conundrum for them for sure.

When I was out Saturday, he was the best d-man out there in my mind. I was sitting with an ex-coach of the Pats and he said the same thing. Like me he liked him last fall as well. We both felt he hadn't been on the weights quite enough to thicken out, but he's good.

I agree with PD114 that we can't use another undersized d-man this year, especially with Schoiler and Poteau likely in the mix. IMO I think Lang may trade Williams for some of the pieces he needs. That may open up a spot for a smaller guy.

Now that the Memorial Cup is over, the action re: coaches, trades, etc should start to pick up a lot. I didn't see McGuigan there for Spring Camp which makes me wonder. I got a sense he wasn't happy being that far from home, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

The pats have plenty on their plate. Is their coaching solidified? are they going to be players at the Import draft? (I think they have to) what trades can they make? Is Scott Cooke available?..LOL, what type of direction are they going to go as an organization?

Spring Camp is the time for a rejuvenation, hope for the future. The team still has to have direction and game plan to go forward with and try to be competitive next season. The youngsters are still a few years away from being "the guys". Lang will need to be busy.

patsdude114
05-26-2014, 02:55 PM
On Saturday and Sunday by far Friedrich was the best Dman but on Friday evening I thought Pouteau was the best one. Friedrich is a great skater and good puck mover as a 16yr old but like chopper said goes against everything Lang said he wants to build the defense into....I just think if he is not ready to be a PP guy and make an impact there is no reason to keep him around this season.

The Pats will be making a selection in the euro draft no matter what, since Sinitsyn is a 20yr old we are allowed to make one selection without it effecting our euros (so we could have 3 in camp) with Kammerer returning if he doesn't make a big enough impact at camp and the new euro is better Max could lose his spot if Sinitsyn is kept in junior for more grooming (still no contract for him from Dallas).

chopper
05-26-2014, 03:34 PM
On Saturday and Sunday by far Friedrich was the best Dman but on Friday evening I thought Pouteau was the best one. Friedrich is a great skater and good puck mover as a 16yr old but like chopper said goes against everything Lang said he wants to build the defense into....I just think if he is not ready to be a PP guy and make an impact there is no reason to keep him around this season.

The Pats will be making a selection in the euro draft no matter what, since Sinitsyn is a 20yr old we are allowed to make one selection without it effecting our euros (so we could have 3 in camp) with Kammerer returning if he doesn't make a big enough impact at camp and the new euro is better Max could lose his spot if Sinitsyn is kept in junior for more grooming (still no contract for him from Dallas).

Notwithstanding his obvious talents I see Freadrich returning to Midget or even Jr A. Maybe Huntsy will groom him for a year..:) Spending a year playing in tough competition and heavy on the body building will do him wonders.

I agree that Max will have to show more than he did the last year. I want to like him as a player but it just hasn't happened. Some guys like him a lot but unfortunately I don't see it. I hope he comes back hard and proves me wrong. He will have competition though.

Sinitsyn will hopefully be back. I think he needs it and hopefully Dallas does as well. That will throw the 20 year old situation into a frenzy for sure. That pretty much leaves D'Amico, McVeigh and Christopher as the pick list. IMO not the strongest group to pick from, at least using the argument that 20 year olds need to be impact players. They may keep two of the three or they may do something completely different based on needs. Maybe a 20 yr old tough guy is needed or a 20 yr old stud d-man. We need some toughness.

RWAH
05-26-2014, 09:09 PM
To be a devil's advocate. It is not logical to send your best d-man to play midget for grooming, he's been there, done that and is now your best in the age group. If they had a rack in the dressing room and stretch him 4 inches then by all means.
There was not a lot of opportunity at spring camp but I did not see him being physically beat. IMO as a d-man he was the best skater, best passer, best playmaker and the smartest. We will see at main camp if his size is an obstacle that can not be overcome. Here's hoping he uses the summer to work the weights and get as strong as he can without sacrificing his speed.
On Sunday doing the battle drill he and Pouteau were scored on so had to skate to the east goal line and back. Freadrich was 2 strides in front at the goal line.
Main camp will be the decider, and as Chopper posted it gives the GM some trade options

patsdude114
05-26-2014, 09:37 PM
If Friedrich doesn't make the Pats (which I doubt he will) he will be back in midget.... Jr. A rarely takes on 16yr olds....what would be ideal for junior hockey teams but would be another expense and prob a pricey one is if each team could have their own midget team where their prospects all play, would give all the prospects more time playing together and develop under the same systems as the big club plays... be no different then the NHL having their AHL farm team....I fully get that its a pipe dream that will never happen.

But back into reality now..... our 20yr old situation I think looks weaker then how our 20yr old situation looked at this time 1yr ago today. Last year this time we had going into camp....Stevenson Ouellette Sylvegard Fenske (no 2 expected Stevenson to have as great of a season as he did as a 20yr old) now this year our 20yr olds to date are Christoffer Sinitsyn McVeigh D'Amico which I think is a lot weaker then last years group at this time.... I left out Stephenson cause I think I got a better chance at winning the lottery then him coming back as a 20yr old.

patsdude114
05-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats Senior VP and General Manager Chad Lang announced today the team has signed forward Luc Smith to a WHL Standard Player Agreement.

Smith was the Pats’ 3rd round pick (60th Overall) in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft. The pick the Pats used to select Smith was acquired in a trade with Brandon for Draft Day Considerations.

“It’s a good experience,” said Smith. “I know the hard work starts now, this is a big step in my career and I’m enjoying this day for sure.”

Smith suited up in 35 games for the St. Albert Sports Raiders of the AMHL in 2012-13. The 6’5”, 202 lbs forward totaled 11 points (8G, 3A) and 48 penalty minutes in the regular season to go with 5 points (2G, 3A) and 26 penalty minutes in ten playoff games.

“I think it’s an exciting day,” commented Pats Director of Scouting Dale McMullin. “Luc’s a big bodied player which is the type of lineup we’re trying to build here. He’s a great kid with good family so it’s a good day.”

The signing comes after Smith participated in the Pats Spring Prospects Camp this weekend in Regina.

Bighat
05-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Our 20 year situation is away better than last year Christopher will score 25-30 goals and is better then oulette, mcveigh will score 25-30 and at this time last year we would say he was more skilled then Stevenson, and demico or dimtri are both head and shoulders above fenske. Does freidrick remind anyone of perry Johnson and if so he was a small dman who didn't get burnt and he used his smarts to his advantage. What about those blue jays.

chopper
05-26-2014, 10:41 PM
I hope they give Freadrich a good look at main camp. There have been a lot of smaller d-men over the years that were under 6' and did pretty well. Names from the past NHL like Orr, Borque, and Chelios come to mind. Not many teams would say no to Krug or Spurgeon so there is a niche for this type of players. He is 5'10" and many kids have a late growth spurt. Chase Harrison started last season at about 5'10" and grew to 6'1" over the season. Anything can happen. The real question is whether or not his skills translate at the higher level.

I don't in any way feel our 20 year olds are impact. McVeigh isn't even close to what Stevenson was. We would have gladly taken 20 goals from Dyson but he got 30+, and he also had over 100 pim fighting and sticking up for his team mates. You will never get that from McVeigh. D'Amico is a useful contributor but at best a 3rd liner. Christopher in my mind is the only guy that has a serious shot at staying. He could score 20 goals and have 100 penalty minutes but he is only about 5'9"-180. He can't be considered a heavyweight or genuine tough guy, especially up against the big boys. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring in a big tough 20 year old forward, and perhaps another d-man. When the smoke clears Sinitsyn may be the only one we keep.

patsdude114
05-27-2014, 12:38 AM
Our 20 year situation is away better than last year Christopher will score 25-30 goals and is better then oulette, mcveigh will score 25-30 and at this time last year we would say he was more skilled then Stevenson, and demico or dimtri are both head and shoulders above fenske

wow if they both score that many we may have some of the best 20yr olds in the league again. I personally feel if they both make the team and stick all year long I think we would be lucky to get 30goals combined between the 2...the biggest knock on Christoffer when it comes to goal scoring is he is very streaky, he will be hot for 7 or 8 games and then will go 15-20 with nothing. He does a lot of good things on a regular basis but also takes a lot of very bad penalties.

Also weren't you one of the guys defending Fenske every time I bashed that useless tit on here during his final year here and last seasons training camp?? I knew from the get go he would not be a 20yr old in the WHL but so many were getting ready to prove me wrong...which never did happen. But yes I agree that D'Amico and Sinitsyn are miles ahead of of Fenske (which doesn't take much)

Does freidrick remind anyone of perry Johnson and if so he was a small dman who didn't get burnt and he used his smarts to his advantage. What about those blue jays.

I remember Perry Johnson even though I was a small kid when he played here before we traded him to Spokane (if my memory serves me right). It is very hard to compare today to that day and age of junior hockey. I like Freidrich a lot don't get me wrong he is just way to small even smaller then what Burroughs was at age 16...I don't think with the way we play defense there is room for Freidrick this season, I mean we had Reagan on our roster at age 16 and he didn't even meet the 40 game quota that 16yr olds are suppose to play (which I do believe his quota dropped abit due to his injury he had for a couple weeks) he played only 27games and rarely hurt us when he did play...for those of you who love the +/- stat he was a +2 (myself I hate that stat as your only as good as your weakest link on the ice).

I hope my opinion on Freidrich comes back and bites me in the arse...I really do cause all that means is he is excelling and makes the roster. I agree with chopper's comment made earlier that if Williams gets traded for younger assets or picks that it will open the door for Freidrich then, but if he doesn't look at Pouteau to make the squad over Freidrich but if Schoiler gets signed neither guy makes it as a 16yr old as that spot goes to Liam.

Bighat
05-27-2014, 11:41 AM
Ya I supported fenske, but something happened to him he lost his edge. He wouldn't fight, get dirty, I mean he could have been the piece we needed to make us bigger. I like the way the 3rd line played last year and I think they could have a big year as a 2nd unit.

Shooter
05-27-2014, 01:12 PM
The 20's will be moved if the right deal comes along over summer however more likely to see mid September to early October and then could be packaged up!

I expect the Pats to pick up 1 policeman for on ice security that will play a
role in the rebuild.

Look for the backend to be the first strike this summer.

Come Fall camp there will be a majority of roster spots up for grabs. Looks like a handful locked unless the coaching staff is changed.

Look for the Pats to be in total rebuild this season with the return on investment and development in 2017.

It looks like Lang will now have the authority to manage and plan per his and the new owners vision. The key question is will the new ownership be committing to a long term deal with Lang and coaching staff?

This must be dealt with or the plan will not work to the capacity it is intended. Hockey =hired to be fired.... and a process is needed.

patsdude114
05-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Ya I supported fenske, but something happened to him he lost his edge. He wouldn't fight, get dirty, I mean he could have been the piece we needed to make us bigger. I like the way the 3rd line played last year and I think they could have a big year as a 2nd unit.

I think his lack of interest to fight after his 18yr old season is the big reason I grew to hate him. He didn't bring enough to the ice to not fight and play bigger then he already was. If your going to be as big as he was (6'1 220 very thick player) you need to do more then just play the body, you can play the body all you want but unless you drop the mitts once in awhile you don't put fear into anyone.

As for our 3rd line last year of D'Amico/Christoffer/Hansen yes they were a solid line for us and unless they show right from the get go that they can be that same line but also score on a more regular basis I don't see the reason in keeping the (2) 20yr olds just to have a checking line. In this league 20yr olds need to be more effective then just checkers and in reality that is what all our 20yr olds are... checkers at best....sure keep 1 of them but cant keep all 3 by any means even 2 is 1 too many imo...

The 20's will be moved if the right deal comes along over summer however more likely to see mid September to early October and then could be packaged up!.

Really package them up to where? Jr. A??? no 1 is going to pay for these guys we have, they are glorified checkers at best. Only McVeigh truly has some value and offensive spark to him but that was so few and far between when we traded for him.

Look for the Pats to be in total rebuild this season with the return on investment and development in 2017.

This is what im hoping happens as well, being a long time season ticket holder of watching mediocre teams has been going on far too long. Lang has this team going in the right direction after 3 pretty good drafts now, its time to start using these guys as much as we can to let them all develop together.

I still believe Klimchuk is going to be traded before he leaves for the WJs camp. He is the only piece we have worth anything in value for a good return to bring in the needed prospects.

It looks like Lang will now have the authority to manage and plan per his and the new owners vision. The key question is will the new ownership be committing to a long term deal with Lang and coaching staff?

The thing with the new ownership group is none of them are actually true hockey guys besides Lombard who used to be a goalie for the Pats & Wheat Kings. So its not like they know a lot of 'hockey people' to put their own people in place. I truly believe they are going to be leaning heavily on Lang & Cameron & putting all the trust in them.

RWAH
05-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Im for going young and a full scale rebuild.
If we upgrade the 20s we will loose a few 3rd to 5th round picks and we end up short of players and assests to trade for the younger players. Having said that as poorly as I did, here is a count of 20s on some of the other teams
Edm 3 forwards / 3 defence , Port 3f / 3d , Hat 2f / 2d , Cal 5f / 1d , Kel 4f / 2d , Koot 3f / 2d , Van 6f / 1d , swift 3f / 1d , Vic 3f / 2d , Sea 7f / 2d , Eve 3f / 1d , PA 6f / 1d...
Looks like Cal, Van, Sea, and PA would be the place to look for a forward. Port or Edm for a d-man, but they will want to see who sticks in the pros before they make any trades

patsdude114
05-27-2014, 08:30 PM
I was actually looking at Seattle's roster earlier today they have some decent 20yr olds who for the most part will all be back prob minus the 2 euros (they may keep one as a 20yr old) also Seattle could easily have the best undrafted 20yr old goalie in the WHL next season in Kozun plus could have the most offensive defensemen in the league as well with Theodore... early on Seattle could easily contend for the US Division, maybe they could be a team that would look at adding Klimchuk to play with Barzal & Gropp maybe a guy who could come the Pats way in a package is Lane Pederson &/or Kaden Edler who are both Saskatchewan boys as well.

Kaden Edler
http://www.smaaahl.com/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=3433&leagueID=9165&teamID=384048&playerID=1086348

Lane Pederson
http://www.smaaahl.com/leagues/rosters_profile.cfm?clientID=3433&leagueID=9165&teamID=384052&playerID=1087425

Not saying SEA is looking to add a star player or not but its always fun to look at prospects and to help add to our prospects. I don't see Lang making any trades til the euro draft takes place to see what he drafts and goes from there.

RWAH
05-27-2014, 10:20 PM
from "Small Thoughts" a break down of the Schenn trade. if we could get some thing like that for Klimchuk

A look back at the Schenn trade

This is interesting....how well has that Brayden Schenn trade worked out for the Brandon Wheat Kings, three-plus years after it was made?

To recap the trade, on January 10, 2011 Brandon traded Schenn (who had just been returned to the WHL from the Los Angeles Kings), along with a 2012 3rd round pick, to Saskatoon for the rights to prospects Tim McGauley (who had been Saskatoon's 1st round pick in 2010) and Ayrton Nikkel (who had been Saskatoon's 2nd round pick in 2010), plus Saskatoon's 1st round and 2nd round picks in 2011, their 1st round pick in 2012, and Saskatoon's 2012 1st round import pick.

To break down what happened with those picks...
•Brandon used the 2011 first round pick to select goaltender Jordan Papirny.
•Brandon used the 2011 second round pick to select forward Jayce Hawryluk.
•Brandon traded the 2012 first round pick to Victoria (along with Jordan Fransoo and Dakota Conroy) to acquire Kevin Sundher. (Victoria used the pick to select Chaz Reddekopp)
•Brandon traded the 2012 first round import pick to Edmonton (Edmonton used it to select Edgars Kulda) for a 2012 5th round bantam pick. Brandon then traded that 5th round pick to Everett for Geordie Maguire.

McGauley, Papirny, and Hawryluk are on the Wheat Kings roster today. To further break down what happened to the others...
•Brandon traded Ayrton Nikkel to Everett for Nick Walters. They then later traded Walters, along with Taylor Cooper and the rights to Tanner Browne, to Lethbridge for Ryan Pilon and the rights to Colt Conrad.
•Brandon traded Geordie Maguire to Regina in exchange for Regina agreeing not to use the 2nd overall pick in the 2013 bantam draft to select Nolan Patrick. Regina took Sam Steel at #2 and Brandon took Patrick at #4.

So if you want to break down what Brandon has to show for Schenn today, it is:
•Tim McGauley (21 goals and 60 points in 68 games last year, will be 19 next year)
•Jayce Hawryluk (24 goals and 64 points in 59 games last year, will be 18 next year, likely NHL top-60 pick this year)
•Jordan Papirny (earned starting goaltender job last year at 17, .900 sv% in 46 games, will be starter next year and year after that most likely)
•A large part of Ryan Pilon since I don't think Taylor Cooper was a key to the deal for Lethbridge and Tanner Browne / Colt Conrad is a wash since neither is in the WHL and neither are committed to the WHL yet either.
•Some part of Nolan Patrick being a Wheat King. If they hadn't gotten Patrick then they'd still have Maguire and likely Steel instead, so I'm not sure how big this is. Depends how Patrick vs Steel perform in their careers I guess.
You also have to factor in the performance they got from Nikkel, Walters, Sundher, and Maguire during their time with the Wheat Kings.

Saskatoon and Schenn, meanwhile, were swept in the 2nd round of the 2011 playoffs. That ended Schenn's time in the WHL.

chopper
05-27-2014, 11:36 PM
I think Sinitsyn will be back as a 20 year old which leaves room for two more. I also believe they will use one spot for a policeman. MJ has Rodewald, Eberle, Cooke and they just acquired Wedman from Spokane. It would seem to make Cooke the odd man out. He is the kind of kid we need here to perform the policeman function with our young guys. We will get enough from either McVeigh or Christopher to pay for a player like Cooke.

Burroughs, Reagan, Sinitsyn, Schacher, Harrison, Mumby, Williams and perhaps Hand?? would be our returning d-men. Assuming they want to inject one or two young d-men, there will need to be some moves. Since I don't know Hand's status I still see two d-men on the move. Right now I'm thinking Williams and Mumby (yes I think some team will take an 18 yr old d-man) If Hand returns they will either have to trade him or Harrison to make some room. I think we will have enough trade bait to get assets and upgrade our 20 year old situation if we want. I don't think we will need to trade picks away.

Lang may move Klimchuk but I suspect it may be closer to the deadline when you can get the most. Also it will provide our young star (Sam Steel) with someone to play with while he's learning the ropes. You can't surround a thoroughbred with Clydesdales.

I am thinking and hoping we go with a younger group this year. We will however need some genuine heavyweight toughness injected into our lineup to ride shotgun. That may be our biggest need.

patsdude114
05-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Only way I'd have any interest in Cooke off MJ is if we went young if we don't he would be more of a wasted 20yo spot then some of the guys we already have coming to camp. Plus it's not even like Cooke is that tough anyways, sure he isn't afraid to drop the mitts much like Stevenson but Cooke doesn't so that great in fights if you watch his history in hockeyfights.com

It's not like we lacked toughness last year we were one the top teams in fighting majors. Sure we had no legit true tough guy but let's remember very few teams use these types of guys anymore as kids just are not as tough as they used to be. I think a guy like Wagner could really start turning a few heads with his power forward type game, he is big and strong who can skate. If he starts dropping the mitts to give himself more space we could have a big gem in the making. He got into a few scraps and did fairly well.

chopper
05-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Based on our returning depth and talent level, I don't see how we could be headed anywhere except younger. We have Klimchuk+ couple of guys who may score 20 goals if all went right. Our future lays with the younger guys and they need a policeman out there or they will be run out of buildings. In time I think Smith will be a tough customer but not really as a 16 yr old. We need to find and trade for value players. I doubt Lang will be allowed to trade so many picks away any longer. No more going to the draft empty handed.

Dyson wasn't that big but he was a gamer, but he had shoulder and other injuries because of it. He fought a lot because no one else would or could. We had a number of fighting majors but weren't a real tough team, something Lang wants. Cooke is a good option . He will drop them and he shows pretty well. I believe he had two with Stevenson last year and each won one. Nobody in our current group has shown the propensity to drop the mitts. Exception might be Christopher and he's too small and perhaps Hand but he usually loses and gets concussed doing so.

No mistake we had better have toughness in the lineup as all other eastern divisions teams will. MJ has Eberle, Cooke, Jensen, Wedman and a couple others. They"ve a pretty good looking defence which will include some huge and tough boys. At this point we are neither tough enough up front or on the back end. IMO we need two guys of that ilk. I have seen what happens to a young team when they don't have capable guys to stand up for them. Talented tough teams usually do well - the Blackhawks are finding that out.

patsdude114
05-28-2014, 01:41 PM
First off I highly doubt MJ will trade Cooke to Regina, they don't want to face a guy who is willing to drop the mitts at any time 8 times a year, especially one that they already had. If MJ has no use for him this year I'm sure they will trade him out west just so we can't grab him. Not saying Lang has or doesn't have any interest in him.

When you look around the league the pure tough guys are disappearing, teams are leaning more towards team toughness. Guys like Wagner and Reagan are going to have to start trying to intimidate the smaller players out there. I like a goodnight just like the next guy but there is zero reason to keep a plug around like Cooke. Part of the reason MJ got him was to bring some excitement back in the building of having a guy who is willing to fight. And it worked I mean every time I went to MJ I waiting to see what that kid would do next to get into a fight. If anything he is entertaining but IMO not worth a 20yo spot.

chopper
05-28-2014, 04:03 PM
I don't disagree that MJ doesn't like to trade with Regina, but we have in recent past and MJ did pretty well. They got a 30 goal guy and he's returning this year. We got a utility player who if he plays as a 20 yr old, we have to give MJ another draft pick. They did OK.

I'm sure Lang is interested in Cooke but at what price. Sometimes teams will end up doing 3-way deals with each getting what they want. There are a few tough guys but they don't come cheap. Most teams know the value of that type of player. Edmonton has Moroz and Baddock who are both super tough. You don't win championships without that type of player, plain and simple.

I foresee the Pats having having as many as 6-7 raw rookies this year. For them to grow they need to be looked after. They need to know that someone has their backs. I don't know who it will be or where they come from but we absolutely need to find a player or two who will ride shotgun this season. We looked after Eberle and Weal until they found their niche. A guy like Steel needs the same.

SectionNDeserter
05-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Only way I'd have any interest in Cooke off MJ is if we went young if we don't he would be more of a wasted 20yo spot
Cooke is pretty greasy too, I don't know if Moose Jaw would want to trade him to a division rival where they would have to play him a bunch of times over the course of the season.

RWAH
05-31-2014, 06:03 PM
From Phils blog. this speaks volomns about our scouting and drafting.

Six Regina Pats prospects have been invited to their respective provincial summer development camps for the 2015 Canada Winter Games.

Forwards Gary Haden, Zachary Cox and Robert Holmes will all attend camp for Team Alberta.

Goaltender Jordan Hollett has been invited to Team B.C. camp.

As well Forwards Erik Gardiner and Carson Welke are listed among the 42 players for Saskatchewan's Camp.

The 2015 Winter Games will take place in Prince George February 13th to March 1st.

Posted by Phil Andrews at 2:57 PM No comments:

patsdude114
06-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Being invited is awesome for each kid don't get me wrong but let's see how many of out prospects actually make their respective teams. Making it means your among the top 20-23 players in your age group for the province right now it's just being among the top 40 or so skaters which is still good but as they should be when being drafted into the WHL.

I for one wasn't impressed with Cox at all, he reminds me a lot of Brady Third....... Big kid but lazy and lacks to grasp the drills handed out (details). I hope Cox took a lot from this spring camp and helps him focus more to become a better player, cause Third IMO sure didn't from last years camp to this years spring camp. IMO only way Yhird will ever play in the WHL is if he is willing to hit and fight at any time.

chopper
06-02-2014, 11:36 PM
It looks with the hiring of Bob Woods, the Blades have sought out another ex-NHL assistant coach to run the club, much like Portland did. If he brings the same success there as the Winterhawks have had then the Blades fans will have lots to be happy about.

It used to be that guys wouldn't come back to the WHL from the NHL, it would be the other way around. It seems there is a growing movement in Major Junior to seek out and attract these type of candidates back to the WHL, OHL, and QMJHL respectively. Guys like Woods and Johnston have current experience at the NHL level and no doubt have many contacts at many levels. This seems to give them a leg up recruiting from USA programs and dealing with European agents. It's good to see these NHL assistant coaches looking at returning to the WHL as opposed to leaving and trying to get there.

chopper
06-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Geez...it's been ultra quiet on the home front here. Virtually nothing except the owners wanting to do up a code of conduct thingy (ala Rider style I guess). I hope winning is the most important component in their repertoire. If not it would be concerning to me. You can put up a clock, a few new promotions, new TV monitors, more hot dogs etc; but it won't matter if you don't have contender type success on the ice. I know a couple of the advisors and I think they are in pretty good hands.

We know Cameron should be back but nothing about the status of any assistant coaches. No trades and in fact nothing to keep the fans engaged and interested. It would be nice to get a little something going.

nivek_wahs
06-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Geez...it's been ultra quiet on the home front here. Virtually nothing except the owners wanting to do up a code of conduct thingy (ala Rider style I guess). I hope winning is the most important component in their repertoire. If not it would be concerning to me. You can put up a clock, a few new promotions, new TV monitors, more hot dogs etc; but it won't matter if you don't have contender type success on the ice. I know a couple of the advisors and I think they are in pretty good hands.

We know Cameron should be back but nothing about the status of any assistant coaches. No trades and in fact nothing to keep the fans engaged and interested. It would be nice to get a little something going.They have owned the team for 9 days. Give them a chance.

chopper
06-09-2014, 10:54 PM
They have owned the team for 9 days. Give them a chance.

Here is an excerpt from comments in the LP;

In the process of devising their game plan, the Pats are well aware of an established formula which suggests that winning cures all.

Marquart wishes it was that simple.

"Every organization in the WHL - or the CHL for that matter - has an objective to win," he noted. "That's the easy part to simply state, 'We want to win.' But how do we go about doing that? How do we embrace ourselves in the community? What do we expect out of our employees and of us as an ownership group in terms of a code of conduct - the way we conduct ourselves in the community? I know it sounds simple but it's not that simple. If it was, everybody would be doing it."

Now the Parker's did a good job of "embracing the community" and the organization is heavily in the community. The Players are good role models in the community. This has been the case for nearly the past 20 years. So are they trying to re-invent the wheel? We don't need anymore fluff than we already have. We need a team that consistently wins like Edmonton or Portland.

When an owner says he wants to win but doesn't know how to get there, it's not awe inspiring in my mind. A code of conduct won't do it. I've probably been around longer than most posters and have seen five ownerships which included the WHL. The last time there was any real buzz in this community surrounding the Pats was in the early 80's under the Pinder ownership. They knew how to get to a winning culture. They hired Strumm, who just happened to be on the new Portland's advisory team. Little wonder they became good quickly.

The real way to change over to a better culture is winning. It management, coaching, scouting, and player personnel. It has very little to do with abstract codes of conduct and mission statements. The Riders have found that out!

patsdude114
06-10-2014, 03:24 PM
I for one am not expecting anything to happen during the summer months. Makin a minor trade is not going to peek fans interests into our team, right now it's all about the Riders and that won't change until training camps start up for our sask teams.

We won't truly start to see any progress within our franchise until these recent drafts start to develop. We've had 3 goo drafts in a row now along with some quality list players added, but let's remember they are only between 17-15 years old now and unless they are elite players they don't usually start showing their development until they hit 18, outside of Steel most will be only avg player with maybe a star thrown in as Steel should turn into an elite player.

Yes we have Kroeker coming who put up league leading numbers in midget but that doesn't mean he will do the same in the WHL anytime soon.

I really don't think the Pats are going to be anything special this year even if we do go with an older group. Which is why we need to go young and prob get the same results battling for 7th 8th 9th 10th in the conference. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it especially with our weak '94 & '96 group.

Remember sometimes no news is good news, Lang has never been a trader during the summer months since he has been here.

chopper
06-10-2014, 03:50 PM
PD114 I'm with you about going younger. At the end of the day for us it's the only common sense route. Trading high picks for older guys should be done when you have a contender and want to strengthen some area. We'll do better in the end with a younger lineup..

RWAH
06-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Agree with Chopper developing goals and objectives and mission statements will not translate into wins but it may change or strengthen the culture inthe room and make it easier to recruite or sign your draft picks. Agree with PD114 the Riders are the topic now and it will not get exicited until camp. Agree with both and sure hope we go young. It would be great to be top contenders in 17, 18,and 19 if we miss our 2 playoff games in 15 its a small price. If the CHL and Hockey Canada do not turn the M Cup into a cash grab (like they have the world juniors, hosted in NHL size arenas only) expect these owners to be bidding to host the 2019 M Cup

Fight Guy
06-10-2014, 06:23 PM
If the CHL and Hockey Canada do not turn the M Cup into a cash grab (like they have the world juniors, hosted in NHL size arenas only) expect these owners to be bidding to host the 2019 M CupI have a feeling 2019 will be handed/offered to Regina...

RWAH
06-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Don't bet on it!!! Edmonton is also looking to host as quote in the Edmonton Sun a few weeks back. By 2019 they will have their new arena so they have two NHL size arenas

patsdude114
06-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Sadly it's (hosting the memorial cup) probably the only way we will ever get to see a chance at a championship during our life time with this franchise. I'm holding hope that things get better with this new ownership group but I'm facing reality ever since I've been born some 32yrs ago now the pats have had little to none success so I'm still pretty skeptical. In the end the Pats are my team and I'll cheer for them thick and thin (even if it is more thin then thick).

So with he recent selections of the top 60forwards and top 36Dmen for a development camp for the U17 and the Pats having 2 prospects selected for it I think it puts even more pressure on Lang to get Liam Schoiler signed and committed to this franchise. Him and Sam Steel together can really get this franchise going in the right direction but we need both not just Steel.

Fight Guy
06-11-2014, 08:52 PM
Don't bet on it!!! Edmonton is also looking to host as quote in the Edmonton Sun a few weeks back. By 2019 they will have their new arena so they have two NHL size arenas
No bets...just a feeling. Though, I never even considered the new Edmonton rink being ready but, it all depends how they want to go about the 100th Memorial Cup. Do they want possible high profit of an NHL venue, or do they want to go with historical and military background?? Guess we'll find out in...four-ish years?? ...lol

On another note, just read on the WHL site that the WHL will be implementing the "wild card" format for the playoffs starting this coming season. I have no problem with this.

RWAH
06-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Fight Guy you are absolutley right the awarding of the 2019 M Cup will be $$$ verses History and Tradition.

I like the new playoffs with a wild card and playing within your division for the first 2 rounds. I think that will be better for ticket sales and louder arenas. I am not in favor of the league finals playing a 2 - 3 - 2 format. If the lower placed team gets a split in the first two games they can win the league championship at home in the next three games. The first (overall) team could see only two home games. IMO that format gives the lower team an advantage

patsdude114
06-12-2014, 08:34 PM
I am not in favor of the league finals playing a 2 - 3 - 2 format.

Thats 2-3-2 format is ONLY if a East Division team makes it to the league final, it has to do with extreme travel. Its been like that for years now and there is nothing wrong with it when you consider of the 4 very small market teams in our division (MJ, PA, SC, BRN)

RWAH
06-12-2014, 11:17 PM
I know its to reduce travel cost, but I still don't need to like it. It can penalize the home fans of the higher placed team by playing the majority of games at the lower team. IMO the league has a (cost of doing business) and playoff travel is just that, If they don't want to travel to Brandon or Swift in the playoffs then move the franchises. It is not fair to take fees and royalties from the teams year after year then penalize them in the playoffs because they are harder to travel to. In fact I think a series of Kamloops vs Swift are closer than Portland vs Edmonton

patsdude114
06-13-2014, 06:40 PM
if anything the 2-3-2 format favours the higher ranked team as lets face how often is a league final over in 5 games... as lets face it games 3 & 4 are already in the lower seeded building already 1 more game is not going to effect the outcome of the series....having games 6 & 7 is a far greater advantage to the higher seeded team anyways (as it should be)

RWAH
06-13-2014, 10:38 PM
We can agree to disagree, that thinking is not supported by fact. If the 2 - 3 - 2 format was an advantage to the higher ranked team the NHL would use it and the WHL would on all the rounds. The only reason is to save travel expense.

patsdude114
06-14-2014, 12:25 AM
We can agree to disagree, that thinking is not supported by fact. If the 2 - 3 - 2 format was an advantage to the higher ranked team the NHL would use it and the WHL would on all the rounds. The only reason is to save travel expense.

Of course it is to save travel but don't kid yourself if it still doesn't favour the higher seeded team. Anyone would rather play the 2 toughest games in a series (games 6 & 7) at home. It's has zero to do with the NHL and I'm sure if a team had te choice to play a tradition series or this format a lot of teams would chose the 2-3-2 format especially if your the higher ranked team.

In the end each team still gets the same amount of home games if the series goes the distance. The league itself is NOT responsible for the championship series travel expense cost and not should it be. Small market teams like mentioned above can't afford to pay flights back and forth and over again when their rinks are under 4000 (for the most part).

Also it doesn't effect is fans at all so really we have zero say, the GM's and board members agree to this so they don't see no issue with it so why should we.

RWAH
06-14-2014, 10:14 AM
The 2 - 3 - 2 format is the same for a 4, 6, or 7 game series but favor the lower rank team in a 5 game series. The traditional series the higher team get 3 home games as opposed to the lower having 3 home games in the 1 - 3 - 2 format. This is only in the final series but the finals were 5 game series in (1996 Brn vs Spo) (1999 Cal vs Kam) (2001 Red vs Por) (2005 Kel vs Brn) (2011 Koot vs Por)
It is what it is. We will not change it . I still do not like it.
I do like (very much) the wild card and the fact the first 2 rounds are played within the division.

patsdude114
06-14-2014, 06:39 PM
This is only in the final series but the finals were 5 game series in (1996 Brn vs Spo) (1999 Cal vs Kam) (2001 Red vs Por) (2005 Kel vs Brn) (2011 Koot vs Por)

Out of those above series you mentioned only 2 of them would go to the 2-3-2 format. The BRN vs SPO and BRN vs KEL would be the only ones. The rest would be the traditional 2-2-1-1-1 type. The 2-3-2 only effects out division if one makes it to the league final.

I love the wild card setup as well it's better then the old divisional way where they had the top 4 make it no matter if a team in the other division was better. I think the last time they had the divisional playoffs I believe it was lethbridge who missed even though they had more points then out divisions 4th place team and that caused issues which made them go to conference play.

chopper
06-15-2014, 02:54 PM
If we were in a situation where we had to play a 2-3-2, I for one would be happy!!!:D

The bottom line is that you need to be an elite organization with elite teams; in which case it doesn't matter what the format is. Good teams don't care. I doubt that Edmonton, portland or Kelowna are too concerned. If we ever get to that point we won't care either.

patsdude114
06-15-2014, 04:43 PM
If we were in a situation where we had to play a 2-3-2, I for one would be happy!!!:D

The bottom line is that you need to be an elite organization with elite teams; in which case it doesn't matter what the format is. Good teams don't care. I doubt that Edmonton, portland or Kelowna are too concerned. If we ever get to that point we won't care either.

well put lol couldn't careless how the series goes... we could get the 1st 2 games and home and then play the remaining 5 on the road and I still wouldn't care lmao

chopper
06-17-2014, 11:15 AM
My goodness it looks like MJ is increasing the size of their team in a big way, at least on the back end. They added Jensen at the deadline @ 6'4", then the recently traded for Wedman @ 6'3" and they just traded for Adam @ 6'6". I know that Jensen and Adam can play but don't know much about Adam other than he's 19, a vet, and big.

I thought that's what Lang said he was going to do!

patsdude114
06-17-2014, 01:34 PM
Apparently this Adam guy is as soft as Mumby is and from other Warrior fans on the gone but crazy white board is just a body for some completion in camp.

Looking at Adam's stats alone 127gp 4g 7a 46pim I would assume from his glaring 46pim he is a soft 6'6 200 ponder.....oh ya and apparently from other comments is he cant skate either lol oh the white board it is so easy to get those guys excited lol

But chopper I do agree that isn't that what Lang wanted to do this offseason is improve our defensemen size?? so far we got the exact same guys coming back that were there after the 4 game sweep.

sbtatter
06-17-2014, 01:38 PM
If Lang wants to get big he should take Green from the Wheaties;)

patsdude114
06-17-2014, 01:44 PM
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/121864

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/118717

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/121883

there are 3 of the 4 fights Adam was in this past season (the other 1 was just a scrum along the boards and a fans head was in the way the entire time) these 3 fights were all clear cut losses and I think 2 of them he didn't even land a punch. I don't think we as Pats fans really care that this big guy at 6'6 isn't coming to the Pats and to the Warriors instead.....Williams looks like he has more toughness then Adam

patsdude114
06-17-2014, 01:50 PM
If Lang wants to get big he should take Green from the Wheaties;)

ok deal and we will send you Mumby in the procress so you guys can cut him instead of us.......at least Green shows some will to get his nose dirty and being tougher to play against

chopper
06-18-2014, 08:48 AM
I don't have too many issues with Lang at this point, but he is behind where he normally is. After a weak playoff display he identified and stated some shortcomings with one being the size of our defence. I for the most part concurred with his assessment.

He wanted to make us harder to play against. Solely based on moves to date, that hasn't happened yet. I have to believe that he still feels that way and will make the necessary adjustments. Based on history it's unusual to not see any moves by Lang to this point.

information coming from the Pats has been minimal and most season ticket holders/fans don't feel too engaged. This is the time to be building hype etc with fans but it doesn't happen. A mid summer open house etc would be a nice thing. Maybe coffee & donuts :)

Bighat
06-18-2014, 09:52 AM
It's not hockey season, take time and enjoy the summer. Blue Jays in first place football starting, chad will pick his deals when the time comes.

Fight Guy
06-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Ya, it's football season now. Won't be a whole lot of hype around the Pats till later on. Hell, there's barely even any hype for the up coming Rider season!! If the QCSEG can build some hype around the Pats AT ALL before the season starts, my hat will be off to them.

I'll still check the site out every day, but I don't expect to see much happen at all. Even if all I see is the same thing posted over and over and over again by the same few posters, worded a bit differently and maybe with a tiny bit more info each time, I'll still read it...lol.

chopper
06-18-2014, 04:33 PM
What summer? :)

patsdude114
06-18-2014, 04:56 PM
What summer? :)

I was thinking the same thing... this has been the worst spring for me and my business in 4yrs now too wet to do much then we get a couple good drying days and boom more damn rain....things better change soon this construction season has been terrible so far