PDA

View Full Version : WHL Awards

JMoney1988
04-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Congrats on Nelson Nogier getting the WHL Scholastic Player of the Year – Daryl K. (Doc) Seaman Memorial Trophy. I'm a little disappointed that Nikita Scherbak didn't win rookie of the year here is why he didn't win:

WINNER: Nick Merkley – Kelowna Rockets
A product of Calgary, AB, Merkley made a big impact in his first seasons with the Rockets(finished year 57-11-4). The 16-year-old center scored 25 goals and 33 assists for 58 points in 66 games, finishing tied for fifth on the Rockets and third among all WHL rookies in scoring. His 25 goals and 58 points led all 16-year-old players while his +24 rating placed him sixth among first-year players. Selected by the Rockets in the first round, ninth overall, in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft, Merkley also scored four game-winning goals during the 2013-14 season, tying him for first among rookies. Merkley is eligible for the 2015 NHL Draft.

I will now compare Nikita's stats/overall: A product of Moscow, Russia, he made a big impact in his first season with the Blades(rebuilding season, finished 16-51-2-3). The 18 year right winger scored 28 goals and 50 assists for 78 points, finishing first on the Blades and first among WHL rookies in scoring. He also had -6 rating which puts him 2nd on Blades. He was selected 3rd last in the WHL Bantam Draft, he also led his team in powerplay goals, pt/g, etc. Scherbak is eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft.

I not saying Merkely didn't deserve to win, hopefully I don't sound too bias and I realize it's not all based on stats, but in this case, it kinda does. Did they pick him, because he was drafted higher? Did they pick him, because of the team he was on and how they did? Did they pick him because he is a better overall player? I'm curious to know how they pick their winners for these awards.
What do you everyone think, should Scherbak have won instead of Merkley?

SectionNDeserter
04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
I not saying Merkely didn't deserve to win, hopefully I don't sound too bias and I realize it's not all based on stats, but in this case, it kinda does. Did they pick him, because he was drafted higher? Did they pick him, because of the team he was on and how they did? Did they pick him because he is a better overall player? I'm curious to know how they pick their winners for these awards.Probably had a lot to do with Merkely having a good season, and more importantly, being two years younger.

Trevor
04-30-2014, 06:36 PM
Merkely is 16, Sherbak is 18, that's the difference maker right there.

Madmax
05-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Was great to see Nelson get the scholastic award, but you would never know he won it by the article in the Starphoenix. Let the young man have his day in the spotlight and do the interview, and as the owner go stand in the corner and keep a lid on it. That's just brutal.