PDA

View Full Version : Blades announce Bob Woods as new GM and Head Coach

Trav
06-01-2014, 05:32 PM
https://twitter.com/bladeshockey/status/473245204896825344/photo/1

Never heard of the guy but he seems to have a pretty good resume and comes from the Anaheim Ducks organization which isn't a bad thing. Hopefully he can hire two good assistants.

Nook
06-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Won a Calder Cup in 2009 as the head coach of the Hershey Bears, too.

Doesn't look like the type of coach you'd really want to have a disagreement with.

It'll be interesting to see how he handles the GM tag.

Trav
06-01-2014, 06:01 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/capitals-watch/2011/dec/1/bob-woods-joins-bruce-boudreau-anaheim-ducks-caps/

Good read on Woods after he and Boudreau were let go in Washington and then hired right away in Anaheim.

The Blades will be hiring an assistant GM so I'd imagine until he gets his feet wet in the WHL, Woods will be relying on the assistant for awhile.

Curious to see who he brings as assistant coach's.

curwie
06-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Wow do I feel old now. I remember Bob from his Nipawin Hawks days in the sjhl. He spent 1 year there before moving on to the Brandon Wheatkings. Real solid hire!

patsdude114
06-02-2014, 02:17 PM
I think this is a really good hire for the Blades....hes a Saskatchewan guy which I would assume he just wanted to come home back to his roots after being in the show for a few years as an assistant coach. Im not so sure about making him the GM as well but I guess time will tell how that plays out, I guess as long as he has a good relationship with his head scout things will work out in the end.

Good on the Blades hopefully this helps the process of their rebuild.

Madmax
06-02-2014, 02:35 PM
I think this is a really good hire for the Blades....hes a Saskatchewan guy which I would assume he just wanted to come home back to his roots after being in the show for a few years as an assistant coach. Im not so sure about making him the GM as well but I guess time will tell how that plays out, I guess as long as he has a good relationship with his head scout things will work out in the end.

Good on the Blades hopefully this helps the process of their rebuild.

I agree its a good hire, but only as a head coach. I said when they fired everyone that they would bring in a strong head coach with zero GM experience. Make no mistake, this is Jr's team and he will be running it. The scouting staff will be the next phase to be thinned out and new people brought in. Also we have to remember that this is a team that Lorne and Jarrod Brodsky setup for the future. The new ownership group had next to nothing to do with it. This will be an exciting team in 2 years unless they screw it up.

patsdude114
06-02-2014, 03:14 PM
As much as everyone makes fun of Mollenken for some of his trades he made with Brandon he made a lot of very good trades last season to help with the rebuild. He never made one trade that crippled the Blades organization, he would of been a perfect GM to keep around for a few more years as I am very sure he would have the Blades back at the top of the East division in a couple years.

Madmax
06-02-2014, 04:26 PM
As much as everyone makes fun of Mollenken for some of his trades he made with Brandon he made a lot of very good trades last season to help with the rebuild. He never made one trade that crippled the Blades organization, he would of been a perfect GM to keep around for a few more years as I am very sure he would have the Blades back at the top of the East division in a couple years.

Your right. I have always thought Lorne's strength was as a GM. Even when he was in Weyburn with the Wings he was a motivator that struggled with the X's and O's of the game. Not much changed over the years. I would think if he was going to get back into Jr. hockey it would be as a GM only. He would do a very good job with it. Maybe P.A?

patsdude114
06-02-2014, 08:01 PM
He isn't even that bad of a coach though either I mean he had some out-standing seasons as the Blades bench boss. Now yes I know he couldn't win in the playoffs but lets face it he always wanted a big slow team when he coached and that doesn't win in junior hockey come playoff time. You need a right balance which maybe he was guilty of.

Anyways I hope this coach puts the Blades in the right direction, im thinking he will be in for a shocker though as he is dealing with teenagers now and not men who are playing hockey for a pay check to put food on the table for their families (NHL and minor pro a lot different then the CHL).

Trav
06-02-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't think Woods will be in for a shocker, You can bet he'll be hiring guys that have or are working in the WHL to assist him in different areas. He already said he wants to hire more scouts. I think they have around 6-7 right now. I think ideally a team should have 15. Portland has around 20 or so.

I think the Priestners have shown their committed to winning, I think a lot of Blades fans were unsure of them at first, including me but this hire will hopefully go a long way in helping bring fans back.

Of course this could all blow up but after hearing what NHL players have said bout Woods, he seems to be just exactly what the Blades need. I like that he's offensive minded and isn't defense first.

Madmax
06-03-2014, 03:44 PM
The assistant coaches are always the good guys in the NHL. Just ask any player and they will tell you. Head coaches not so much. I'm ok with Woods as the head coach as I believe he will bring something to the table. I just don't see him being the GM with Jr. hanging out and having the final say in everything. Hobby ownerships don't work. Ask a Pats fan.

Uknownothing
06-04-2014, 06:15 AM
The assistant coaches are always the good guys in the NHL. Just ask any player and they will tell you. Head coaches not so much. I'm ok with Woods as the head coach as I believe he will bring something to the table. I just don't see him being the GM with Jr. hanging out and having the final say in everything. Hobby ownerships don't work. Ask a Pats fan.

I think this a great hire.As for Jr it looks like he is surrounding himself with good people because he wants to learn.Parker just already thought he knew it all,example not trading Eberle when he had a chance to help the team in the future.These teams need to be treated and run like a business and the Blades are NOW taking those steps with the people they are bringing in.

Madmax
06-04-2014, 09:12 AM
I think this a great hire.As for Jr it looks like he is surrounding himself with good people because he wants to learn.Parker just already thought he knew it all,example not trading Eberle when he had a chance to help the team in the future.These teams need to be treated and run like a business and the Blades are NOW taking those steps with the people they are bringing in.

Well I guess time will tell.

patsdude114
06-04-2014, 08:58 PM

Parker was already the GM for close & maybe more then 13yrs (not wanting to go do the math) when the Eberle situation came up. Parker did surround himself with good people like Mollenken & Preston and still failed to realise *** he should do when it came to rebuilding and having the right piece to rebuild with.....

So moral of the story is just cause Jr is surrounding himself with good people doesn't mean jack crap when it all comes down to it. Lets see how Jr's ego is after 7-10 years as mark my word he wants to be a GM in this league but im thinking his daddy isn't letting him until he understands the game more. That was the Parker's mistake in giving the GM duties to their son as soon as they bought the team and was ran like a circus on the hockey operations side for years.

Uknownothing
06-05-2014, 06:37 AM
Parker was already the GM for close & maybe more then 13yrs (not wanting to go do the math) when the Eberle situation came up. Parker did surround himself with good people like Mollenken & Preston and still failed to realise *** he should do when it came to rebuilding and having the right piece to rebuild with.....

So moral of the story is just cause Jr is surrounding himself with good people doesn't mean jack crap when it all comes down to it. Lets see how Jr's ego is after 7-10 years as mark my word he wants to be a GM in this league but im thinking his daddy isn't letting him until he understands the game more. That was the Parker's mistake in giving the GM duties to their son as soon as they bought the team and was ran like a circus on the hockey operations side for years.

I guess teams like Portland and Edmonton who have surrounded themselves with good and quality people doesn't mean nothing? (a few league and Memorial cup champions)Mabey they surround themselves with better people than the Blades and Pats?Well I guess they have because they have something to show for it. But like its was said time will tell.

patsdude114
06-05-2014, 02:18 PM
I guess teams like Portland and Edmonton who have surrounded themselves with good and quality people doesn't mean nothing? (a few league and Memorial cup champions)Mabey they surround themselves with better people than the Blades and Pats?Well I guess they have because they have something to show for it. But like its was said time will tell.

hahaha no crap time will tell I see another person who loves to state the obvious lmao I guess welcome to the site your off to a great start

Trav
06-05-2014, 05:51 PM
hahaha no crap time will tell I see another person who loves to state the obvious lmao I guess welcome to the site your off to a great start

Colin Priestner has already stated that he has no interest in being the GM. From what I've been told, they seem to prefer a duo role rather then one guy for each position.

Madmax
06-07-2014, 08:04 PM

How does Portland and Edmonton compare to Saskatoon? A team can surround themselves with very good people but it doesn't mean they will be successful if they aren't allowed to do their job. Like I said ask any Pats fan. Jr. has stated he doesn't want to be the Gm, but will have the final decision on everything. Really? How does that work?

Uknownothing
06-08-2014, 10:21 AM
How does Portland and Edmonton compare to Saskatoon? A team can surround themselves with very good people but it doesn't mean they will be successful if they aren't allowed to do their job. Like I said ask any Pats fan. Jr. has stated he doesn't want to be the Gm, but will have the final decision on everything. Really? How does that work?
Portland and Edmonton don't compare to Saskatoon but I bet Edmonton's owners have a big say in what goes on with their team remember who owns them.Right at the moment what team wouldn't want to follow what two successful teams are doing.
I'm not sure what owner doesn't have a say on what goes on with its team,mabey some more than others but as long as the team is successful and entertaining for the fans who cares.Besides Priestners haven't even owned the team for a year yet its hard to pass judgement on the direction they are moving .Who's to say your new owner for the Pats doesn't take the same approach as the Blades then what?especially after what happened in the playoffs for the Pats. I think its a good thing for both the Pats and Blades to have new ownership, new ideas and different approaches.
GO BLADES GO:groovy:

Madmax
06-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Portland and Edmonton don't compare to Saskatoon but I bet Edmonton's owners have a big say in what goes on with their team remember who owns them.Right at the moment what team wouldn't want to follow what two successful teams are doing.
I'm not sure what owner doesn't have a say on what goes on with its team,mabey some more than others but as long as the team is successful and entertaining for the fans who cares.Besides Priestners haven't even owned the team for a year yet its hard to pass judgement on the direction they are moving .Who's to say your new owner for the Pats doesn't take the same approach as the Blades then what?especially after what happened in the playoffs for the Pats. I think its a good thing for both the Pats and Blades to have new ownership, new ideas and different approaches.
GO BLADES GO:groovy:

Maybe they do have a say, but other than the community owned teams, all have extensive Hockey experience either as a high level player, coach, general manager or all of the above. Minor hockey is where kids develop their skills to move on to the next level. It is also where coaches and GM's develop their skills to move on to the next level. You don't start in junior hockey. If you want a real good example of how Hobby Ownership works, just look at Regina and the Pats for the last 15 years or so. Disaster is the best way to describe it. By the way, I am not a Pats fan. I have probably had season tickets for the Blades, up till now, since before you where born. LOL :D

Trav
06-08-2014, 07:37 PM
There's always going to be decisions made that don't sit well with a fan or employee when a new ownership group takes over, just part of the business. Last week, Les said on a Edmonton sports show that the Priestners realize they made mistakes last year and have admitted to it. Now, I'm not a big fan of the ownership group but I'm willing to give them a chance. I think it's pretty retarded to compare them to the Parkers already. They got the money so as long as they spend it wisely and hire good good assistant coaches and scouts and the team gets back on track, I'll support them. Mike Priestner has the final say (not his son) and he's already said that this is Bob Woods's team so hopefully he lets Woods do his thing.

Jack Brodsky was involved in many of the big decisions that Molleken made over the years, so Mike Priestner isn't the only one.

See what the owners do this year, they hired a legit coach so gotta give them credit for that.

Uknownothing
06-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Maybe they do have a say, but other than the community owned teams, all have extensive Hockey experience either as a high level player, coach, general manager or all of the above. Minor hockey is where kids develop their skills to move on to the next level. It is also where coaches and GM's develop their skills to move on to the next level. You don't start in junior hockey. If you want a real good example of how Hobby Ownership works, just look at Regina and the Pats for the last 15 years or so. Disaster is the best way to describe it. By the way, I am not a Pats fan. I have probably had season tickets for the Blades, up till now, since before you where born. LOL :D

Sorry for calling you a Pats fan, and I don't know how old you are but I have been a season ticket holder to the Blades for 28 years and counting and seen a lot of good times and bad times and very bad times. I know as Blades fan I am going to give the new ownership a chance before I pass judgement on them and continue to buy season tickets and cheering loud for the team. It seems like you are already displeased with the new ownership in their very very small time of running the team so mabey its time to cash in your tickets and sell me your team jersey, I could always use a 12th one.LOL

patsdude114
06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
If you want a real good example of how Hobby Ownership works, just look at Regina and the Pats for the last 15 years or so. Disaster is the best way to describe it. By the way, I am not a Pats fan. I have probably had season tickets for the Blades, up till now, since before you where born. LOL :D

It's sad but so true, my beloved Regina Pats had hobby owners with no real drive to actually have success. I hope the Blades and the Pats have success with the new ownership groups. If my for the owners themselves but for us fans who pay with our hard earned money.

Trav
06-13-2014, 05:52 PM
For now it's just a rumor but Rod Pederson posted on his blog that he's heard that Bob Woods has been in talks with former PA Raider and Moose Jaw Warrior coach Steve Young about an asisstant coaching position with the team. Wouldn't be a bad hire I don't think.