PDA

View Full Version : blades cougars trade

wango tango
06-10-2014, 09:53 AM
http://saskatoonblades.com/article/blades-acquire-rights-to-goalie-collin-olson

have to guess if olson does come, and why make the trade if you don't think he will, it will mean trombley is out. the team won't carry two twenty year old goaltenders.

Trav
06-10-2014, 10:10 AM
I think it's a pretty good deal. Low risk possible high reward

patsdude114
06-11-2014, 08:59 AM
It doesn't really make a lot of sense to trade for this guy with zero commitment but more importantly why not develop a younger goalie while the entire team is developing. There is nothing wrong with Trombley as a 20yr old goalie he kept the Blades in a lot of games last year, I highly doubt you can blame any loss on him as te Blades were just that bad all around last season.

Only way this trade makes any sense is if they can get him committed and then around trade deadline moving him to a contender for hopefully a better prospect then what you have up to get him. But that's banking a lot that he is actually showing promise to other teams who would actually want him. I think this is more of a trade to just get Woods feet wet, if it works out he looks like a new mastermind in Saskatoon if it doesn't there is little harm as the prospect paid to land him is nothing special.

saskatoonblades123
06-11-2014, 09:24 AM
The trade makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons:

1. Trombley did keep the Blades in lots of games last year, but he was also basically good to allow at least 1 bad goal per game.

2. If Olsen commits, he's a massive upgrade over Trombley, even if the kid has never played in the WHL.

3. Yeah, he's 20, but it basically buys the team 6 months to a year to find a true future goalie if Olsen commits. There are no studs in the system that will be WHL-ready in the next year to 18 months, so this gives the team the time to try and sort that problem out.

4. Not only that, but this kid is good enough to possibly take them to a playoff spot next year. For me, a deal like this could be one that takes a 10th placed team to a 6 or 7 seed.

5. It's low risk, potential high reward if you can make the playoffs. Looking at the potential depth chart, I don't think Lakusta was ever going to crack Saskatoon's regular roster.

Trav
06-11-2014, 10:29 AM
The Blades wanna make the playoffs this year to get the fans back in the seats. In order to make the playoffs, they need a strong starter, Olson would provide that. Yes he's never played in the league but he'd be an instant upgrade on Trombley who did okay but I don't think he can lead the Blades to the playoffs. Trevor Martin will then have time to develop as the backup and be the starter when he's 19. I like the two 15 yr old's the Blades picked this year. Hopefully they both have a good midget season this year and one of them can step in to a backup role next season.

At the least, the guy doesn't report, at the most, if he comes, like it's been said already, he could be prime trade bait at the deadline or he could give the Blades a chance during the regular season.

wango tango
06-11-2014, 10:45 AM
ok with the deal, see how it works out.

improves a position of weakness. olson's solid.

buys the team time to evaluate tenders in the system, or start to groom a youngster for down the line.

here's hoping it's just the start of trying to get players from places where they didn't look or care to work on.

it's another small signal of good changes happening.

curwie
06-11-2014, 12:05 PM
From the blades press release.... "The deal also has future considerations heading to Saskatoon as part of the trade" Maybe some what of a conditional deal based on Olsen reporting?

BigCat20
06-11-2014, 04:56 PM
I have to think they have a commitment for Olsen! If not, then future considerations would make more sense if he reports with a high pick just to speak to him. That's why I think they have a hunch he will report. I wonder if this Kustra kid didn't show well during development camp & was deemed replaceable.

As for Trombley, he played well to start the yr. 2nd half not so much, maybe too many games......be surprised if he finds a job this year in the whl.

curwie
06-11-2014, 10:53 PM
I have to think they have a commitment for Olsen! If not, then future considerations would make more sense if he reports with a high pick just to speak to him. That's why I think they have a hunch he will report. I wonder if this Kustra kid didn't show well during development camp & was deemed replaceable.

As for Trombley, he played well to start the yr. 2nd half not so much, maybe too many games......be surprised if he finds a job this year in the whl.

Lakusta looked okay at spring camp. It's more than likely a move because of the depth at the defensive position. We have a lot of young guys waiting and what only 2 or 3 spots available depending if they decide to keep David Nemecek. Kustra is a kid we just drafted this year. He's still with the team.