PDA

View Full Version : Pats fire Cameron/Dixon and McGuigan not returning

patsdude114
06-24-2014, 11:06 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/article/pats-announce-changes-to-coaching-staff

Crofter
06-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Did not see the is one coming, although I'm guessing this has something to do with buy-in to some new organizational priority.

Cameron is my favorite recent coach, and I hope they get someone else who plays an exciting brand of hockey and gets players to overachieve. I don't agree with this treatment, but the team does need to make changes and it's unfortunate the Cameron was a casualty.

patsdude114
06-24-2014, 11:18 AM
I woke up this morning to 6 texts from friends saying the Pats coaching staff was fired... I thought it was some plot to f*ck with my mind but sure enough I log onto the pats website to see if it was true and yep to my shocking discovering they have been fired/let go.

I really thought Cameron was the right choice moving forward with all his coaching back ground in the pro ranks, he did a lot of very good things this past season as his 1st year as a WHL Head Coach. He really developed younger guys to take that step forward. This past season was the best brand of hockey I have watched at the dome since 2001

My only thought on this is maybe there is a prime past NHL guy wanting to come here and be the coach. Maybe a guy like Sillinger & Heward to be our coaching staff, although imo that may be a step backwards with a guy who has no coaching experience and then a guy like Heward who doesn't have a lot of experience at all. A buddy of mine who played in the sticks on rose tournament and who took part at the golf tournament said he saw a lot of talk with Sillinger and Marquart & Lumbard....not saying anything is behind that could just of been friendly conversation.

I guess lets wait and see who will be our next Head Coach now

Crofter
06-24-2014, 11:27 AM
My only thought on this is maybe there is a prime past NHL guy wanting to come here and be the coach. Maybe a guy like Sillinger & Heward to be our coaching staff, although imo that may be a step backwards with a guy who has no coaching experience and then a guy like Heward who doesn't have a lot of experience at all. A buddy of mine who played in the sticks on rose tournament and who took part at the golf tournament said he saw a lot of talk with Sillinger and Marquart & Lumbard....not saying anything is behind that could just of been friendly conversation.

I guess lets wait and see who will be our next Head Coach now

I'm thinking you're right. It's going to be a guy with name recognition, because I don't think the Pats can sell tickets this year on what looks like a real youth movement and rebuild. Next coach has to be a fan-friendly name.

RWAH
06-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I have no idea what prompted the firing of Cameron or the resignation of the Dixon and Mc Guigan I thought Mc Guigan would go back to the Maritimes as he sounded homesick all year. I'm with one of the other posters it must be a new structure and he could not agree. Dixon is an astute mind for the game and a quality teacher. Camerons game style was a pleasure to watch'(puck possession and quick transition.)
As for the next coach, the team need a coach with experience as a coach at this level or higher and a teacher with a lot of patience. An inexperienced coach will be a large step back. They tried that with Durcatch a few years ago. Sillinger or Hewart may be assistant coaches but hopefully not the head job.
I view this as a half strike against the new owners

puckdad
06-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Wow - this news is a shock.
Cameron always seemed positive about the team and engaged with his players. Had some goaltending issues that didn't help him out in the W/L column, but overall a great coach & leader who coaxed the best out of most of his players.

So Cameron, a player's coach who got his team (in what was projected to be a rebuilding year) to overachieve last year & win a Division Banner (forget about playoffs - that team wasn't built for a playoff run, and Wapple was injured) gets fired.

PA has an arrogant, obtuse little Hitler of a coach who alienated his players, fellow staff, and local media, and guided his team (that was predicted to at least win the Division & at one point was ranked nationally in the top 10) to an 8th Place playoff spot. And he still has his job.

Doesn't seem right.

Shooter
06-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Shooter Right on Money in Early May 2014. Some serious house cleaning. What is next?

patsdude114
06-24-2014, 03:59 PM
I guess some of us wanted Regina Pats major news and now we have gotten our wish although this wasn't the type of news we expected.

Here is a poll that can be done on the CBC news site if anyone is interested.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/regina-pats-fire-head-coach-malcolm-cameron-1.2685782

Madmax
06-24-2014, 04:10 PM
I guess some of us wanted Regina Pats major news and now we have gotten our wish although this wasn't the type of news we expected.

Here is a poll that can be done on the CBC news site if anyone is interested.......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/regina-pats-fire-head-coach-malcolm-cameron-1.2685782

Sorry to see this happen. Enjoyed watching the Pats last season for the first time in a long time. Guess Lorne Mollekin has sold his house in Saskatoon and has relocated close to Regina. Maybe just the timing?

patsdude114
06-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Both assistants were not returning to the team, Bill McGuigan resigned on June 5th due to his father being ill back home. Josh Dixon was not going to sign a new contract before the new season as he wants to explore other possibilities my thoughts as a Head Coach.

With Cameron having only 1 year left in his deal it didn't make a lot of sense to hire on 2 new assistant coaches which are always multi year deals and then have the uncertainty of not keeping the same Head Coach after this season. Financially this move makes a lot more sense now as if the Pats did not resign Cameron to a new deal they would ultimately be firing the 2 assistants for a new Head Coach (if it went that way).

Makes a lot more sense after hearing Lang

chopper
06-24-2014, 04:55 PM
I did not see this coming! Holy Hanna I was expecting a significant trade to give us something to talk about. I feel bad for Cameron as he was a hell of a coach and a nice guy. I suspected the other guys were not coming back. But wow!

Sillinger or Heward...no way!!!! Neither have enough credible coaching experience at this level. Sillinger has none and Heward a couple seasons in SC. Josh Dixon is a better option if they were looking for a great young coach. Something else is brewing I'm sure.

The new guy will be someone with a great track record of winning at this level OR higher. He will be a very recognizable name because they will want to reassure fans after this move. Cameron was a very well liked coach by the fans.

There are some big names with great experience out there. The firing of Cameron wasn't Lang's work I'll bet. I wouldn't be surprised if the next coach has the abilities to be a GM at some point. With all this house cleaning I doubt Lang is feeling too secure.

patsdude114
06-24-2014, 05:20 PM
Sillinger or Heward...no way!!!! Neither have enough credible coaching experience at this level. Sillinger has none and Heward a couple seasons in SC. Josh Dixon is a better option if they were looking for a great young coach. Something else is brewing I'm sure.

Its not that im fully against a possibly of Sillinger as a Head Coach (which I doubt will happen anyways) I mean look at other past NHLers who have had success as a Head Coach with no/to little coaching experience before guys like Patrick Roy, Scott Walker as examples. But I doubt Sillinger will give up on his Oilers job

The new guy will be someone with a great track record of winning at this level OR higher. He will be a very recognizable name because they will want to reassure fans after this move. Cameron was a very well liked coach by the fans.

There are some big names with great experience out there. The firing of Cameron wasn't Lang's work I'll bet. I wouldn't be surprised if the next coach has the abilities to be a GM at some point. With all this house cleaning I doubt Lang is feeling too secure.

A proven track record would be great to have a solid name in the hocket world. This firing of Cameron makes a lot more sense now due to the information that was release during the press release and on Sports Cage from Lang.

chopper
06-24-2014, 06:10 PM
There are a few instances where NHL players go directly into coaching and do well, but they are few. Guys like Babcock, Hitchcock, Gallant, Dejardins, Vignault, Trotz etc etc, and many more cut their teeth in Junior, minor pro and then the Show. In some instances some of them want to return to junior. I have a feeling that the next coach here will have a pedigree and history of winning. They tried that with Derkatch with bad results and no Pats Alumni has ever done well here as a coach, except perhaps Bob Turner. As I said I believe the next HC will have very notable accomplishments, and may soon be the GM as well.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-24-2014, 07:23 PM
im not all that surprised.

This is not necessarily an indictment of Cameron's job. We all know goaltending primarily killed our playoff hopes. When you get new ownership, youll usually get new coaches and some new players.

...But when you have a franchise that has become famous for losing, and somehow consistently found new ways to lose over almost 20 years, you want to do what you can to wash away any perceived stain left behind from the last mess. I doubt this is all they end up doing, and its about time too.

chopper
06-24-2014, 09:36 PM
im not all that surprised.

...But when you have a franchise that has become famous for losing, and somehow consistently found new ways to lose over almost 20 years, you want to do what you can to wash away any perceived stain left behind from the last mess. I doubt this is all they end up doing, and its about time too.

I have no doubt that your spot on regarding that point...... Lang hired Cameron and it was painful listening to him try to defend todays developments. I think it was equally hard for him to try and explain how his bosses went over his head to dismiss his guy. Usually if the GM is happy with the coaches performance that's the end of it. Not with these guys. He was stammering and sounding pathetic. I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall. The GM is supposed to run the club but it's clear the owners are. Not a good business model.

Crofter
06-24-2014, 10:45 PM
I have no doubt that your spot on regarding that point...... Lang hired Cameron and it was painful listening to him try to defend todays developments. I think it was equally hard for him to try and explain how his bosses went over his head to dismiss his guy. Usually if the GM is happy with the coaches performance that's the end of it. Not with these guys. He was stammering and sounding pathetic. I'm sure he sees the writing on the wall. The GM is supposed to run the club but it's clear the owners are. Not a good business model.

It's too bad for Lang, but working for the Parkers he was the public face of some other questionable decisions. That said, I can also see the case for Cameron's dismissal, even though he did a good job. At some point a new regime makes changes, and maybe it's best that they happened quickly.

I suspect a credible coach and a center ice scoreboard will soothe the hardcore fans, and maybe attract some of the softer supporters. At the same time, I hope the new ownership group understands that they really need to fix the culture of this team - and part of that is recognizing that rolling out a new coach every year-and-a-half is something that has to stop.

I just hope the coach isn't some retread that was here before. Most of them were part of that culture of losing.

Bighat
06-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Strike 1 for the new owners stepping on your GM'S toes. Horrible desicion to fire Cameron and if the reason is he has 1 year left and new assistants that's bs. He has been the best coach we have had in years, should have gave him a new 3 year deal. This year is going to be a gong show ( will the real gm please stand up) whose really running this team. Chad lang may aswell step down tomorrow and save face because there is no way he will survive the year. By the looks of today jerry jones is running the pats.

patsdude114
06-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Chad lang may aswell step down tomorrow and save face because there is no way he will survive the year. By the looks of today jerry jones is running the pats.

Easy for fans to say that but I can assure you hes making a 3 figure salary and it puts food on the table for his family.

Im going out on a limb and saying that im sure the Parker's told Lang to promote within and hire a cheaper assistant last season. So that would leave a pick between Cameron and Dixon last year, im sure this time around the ownership group will be willing to put their money where their mouths are to hire a good name coach.

Lets see what we get for a Head Coach before we really start calling out the owners and or GM....imo we are going young this year anyways so lets grow the team within with a younger type of a coach a guy like Struch (or however the hell you spell his name the guy who coached Saskatoon last year) could be a prime candidate for the job, imo he had the Blades playing an up tempo game last year but just lacked talent to win games.

chopper
06-25-2014, 06:20 AM
This isn't about putting bread on the table, it's about running a hockey organization. Hockey people are often hired to be fired. Any credible organization hires a GM to run hockey operations, and he in turn hires his staff. He selects, hires and fires his staff. Ownership doesn't interfere and go over his head to fire people unless they have no confidence in their GM?? Lang couldn't justify anything in his presser yesterday. It was ludicrous plus he sounded totally ridiculous; pressed by reporters he couldn't justify his own statements.

If we wanted a young coach to go with the youth movement, we had Dixon who is recognized by many (including Hockey Canada) as one of the brightest young coaches in the business. That assertion looks like bs to most. Bill Gallacher who owns the Portland Winterhawks did it right. He hired a coach/GM and turned the hockey over to him to produce results. They were a young group but hired a 45 yr old coach. I would say the results have been good. It had nothing to do with a younger type coach as we had one in Dixon!

I believe this was the start of a purge which many think isn't over and I concur. One has to believe that the Pats know this was a somewhat unpopular and questionable move. The new HC will likely be someone with a proven record of winning coaching at this and perhaps the NHL level. Most would be terribly surprised if it wasn't a bigger name. He has likely already been picked and the announcement should be pretty quick. I would expect he will be bringing a coaching staff with him. Time is of the essence to a great extent.

Shooter
06-25-2014, 10:41 AM
It looks like the writing is on the wall and evident the ownership is in control and has a plan. The next step may be scouting staff and GM and then the engine is overhauled or rebuilt. This is normal in the hockey business and I expect the table to be wiped clean and the announcements happening shortly with the new ownership and strategic operations plan. This action had reason and looking forward to the upcoming Pats NEWS.

patsdude114
06-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Chopper I agree with your comments fully and if hadn't been for Dixon not going to resign a new contract we wouldnofbhad the same coaching staff this season. This love is flat out a business move has nothing to do with the hockey side of things. With 1yr left on his deal and now having to hire 2 new assistants which would be min 2yr deals and with nothing saying they would offer a new contract to. Cameron why hire 2 with odds of having to fire them after the season anyways. Makes more sense to fire 1 then to fire 2 which would cost more money in the long run.

I for one am not happy about this firing but running my own business I do understand more on the business side of things more now then I did say 5yrs ago. I'm going out on a limb here and say that I doubt Lang will be fired next unless it happens today as it makes zero sense to have him hire another coach but then to fire him afterwards as well.

Crofter
06-25-2014, 12:46 PM
I doubt Lang will be fired next unless it happens today as it makes zero sense to have him hire another coach but then to fire him afterwards as well.

I don't think Lang is in much danger of losing his job, but he might see his responsibilities change. Most of new "name" coaches are Head Coach/GM.

RWAH
06-25-2014, 01:08 PM
I was at the Brandt Centre yesterday and Chad L stated the process to hire is he would gather the resumes make a short list and the group (owners and GM will interview and decide), Not a very successful business model. We just finished 15 years with the owner (Brent P) trying to run the show and have zip, in fact a negative, too show for that.
The coaches (Josh and Malcolm) that have been allowed to move on or terminated are both top notch coaches and top notch people. To find , at this late start, replacements that are upgrades will be very difficult.
Both are good teachers, good communicators and bright minds in the game of hockey.
I hope it is not a move to hire friends or alugnus (poor spelling)

dsquared
06-25-2014, 04:12 PM
I just hope the coach isn't some retread that was here before. Most of them were part of that culture of losing.

***! -This firing makes us look like the Lethbridge Hurricanes. We might as well start a count down on Lang - I predict he will Be gone this time next year...

chopper
06-25-2014, 04:36 PM
I understand what you are saying PD114 but I think the lack of hockey experience is starting to show. They may have good business experience but very limited hockey backgrounds. I also wonder if the "advice" they are receiving from their advisors is solid and astute enough for this endeavour. Hicke and crew were all successful business guys but that didn't end well. Perhaps a better course of action would to have let Lang make his own decisions until his contract expired OR ELSE fire him and everyone else and start ground up. They made him look foolish and inept.

Using alumni hasn't worked well in the past and shouldn't be a criteria for any coach of the Pats. I hope that they can some way fix this situation they have created. I do feel sorry for Cameron and Lang. They are both being used a sacrificial elements. It can be a dirty business.

Bighat
06-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Lang doesn't need this job to feed his family, he could make more money outside of hockey trust me. Hockey is his passion and the way the new owners have treated him in this situation is disgraceful. No sense having a gm, this team is going in the wrong direction what statement does this give potential coaches and GM'S. You have 5 bosses which one do you listen to.

chopper
06-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Good insight Bighat. Other than perhaps the Giants and Americans, I am not aware of a multi-owner situation in the WHL that is very successful...five local owners each wanting to put his stamp on this team could be problematic. There should be one and only one person with whom the GM liaises with. The current situation is one of disarray and reflects badly on the new owners. Chad saying he will collect names but they will choose as a group, really? That's solely the GM's job most places, isn't it? Not a great business model.

I've read comments by Marquardt, Lumbard, and Semple on various mediums. Is there going to be enough ink for everyone? I remember when the Hicke group owned the team and nearly every trade had to clear at least three guys. Their tenure wasn't real successful. Parker controlled as GM and later from afar as president. Evidently now more of the same. Any coach/GM worth his salt won't put up with this stuff. What do the prospects/families think? It makes a person wonder what we can expect in the new hires.

Now the speculation starts as to who the new HC will be and what the status of Lang will be. I hope this gets done sooner than later.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-25-2014, 08:53 PM
I feel that the situation is a little different when the ownership is in year one. Rather than being underhanded, they are well within their rights when they are reviewing all the aspects to the organization to change some of the staff around if they don't like the way it looks before things actually get started. Why should they write off a year just to honor previous agreements if they don't like way things look going forward?

It certainly sets the tone and perhaps the intent was to send the message that mediocrity has consequences and they aren't fooling around... though maybe I am just being devil's advocate.

dsquared
06-26-2014, 08:38 AM
It certainly sets the tone and perhaps the intent was to send the message that mediocrity has consequences and they aren't fooling around... though maybe I am just being devil's advocate.

I disagree - this a simple/Semple, business decision. It can`t be a case of mediocrity - with the Pats finishing first and injuring their no 1 goalie just in time for the playoffs. Cameron had them overachieving and playing as well as any Pats team in the last 7-8 years.

As I understand the logic behind the decision; It was simply one to clean house - they didn`t want 2 new asst coaches on different contract cycles than the HC. (Although the creative thing would be to renegotiate Cameron`s contract to sync up with the new assts.) It sounds like they were intending to blow everything at the end of next season and pull a Saskatoon and bring in new staff. The 2 asst coaches would have been tossed overboard next year. So what we are left with is the new owners moved up their coaching plan by a year.

RWAH
06-26-2014, 08:56 AM
Just thinking out loud!
Mark Habsheid (spelling ) is available and could be very good Coach/GM. He is from Swift Current.
Not sure he would come here if the ownership structure is as convoluted (spelling) as it apears.

chopper
06-26-2014, 09:38 AM
One thing should be cleared up. Cameron didn't do anything to be fired and in fact there is a strong case they should have built around him. He was popular, competent and had the team playing exciting hockey well above their talent level. It would have been interesting to see what he would have done with some depth of talent. This had nothing to do with contracts; that's all bs plain and simple. You don't fire a first year head coach with a winning record and a pennant. He would be a good candidate for Portland's job. Ownership wanted their own guy(s) and that's all there is to it. They should been forthright and said as much instead they concocted a bunch of malarky. They didn't have the stones to call it as it is. Anyone with a lick of sense can see that.

One has to think that either someone made themselves available to them, or they they have had their eye on some guy they really want. Now the speculation starts as to who it will be, and what the front office dynamics will be.

Habscheid would likely come here but likely not as solely a coach. I agree that what I'm going to say next sounds nuts but there has been a name that has surfaced more than once. It's not my rumour!

Lorne Molleken's name has surfaced a number of times. I heard it just after they bought the club. That was confirmed by a respected local hockey guy I have coffee with. I suggested his "best before" date had come and gone. My friend then said there are not too many coaches out there with 600 wins. It puts him with royalty both in the WHL and CHL. Although I doubt it, this name keeps coming up like a bad rash. My main reason for scepticism is that he like Habscheid, probably wouldn't want to coach without being GM...again it's just a name I've heard quite a bit. Tim Hunter and Perry Pearn were in the running for the Saskatoon job. Now with Vancouver and Portland needing coaches the best available candidates will have other opportunities...

RWAH
06-26-2014, 12:58 PM
"Chopper" you are right it was a dastardly deed and only to get their own men at the coaching helm. The owners were not up front and left Chad L blowing in the wind. That does not boad well for the future of the Pats. A coach or GM or coach/GM can not work for 5 owners at the same time, The ownership structure need to be lead by one.
You are also correct that it is probable neither Habscheid or Molleken would be interested with out both coach and GM as the offered. My worry is the Head Coach will be an alungi with limited or no experience and that will be a giant step bachwards.
It will be interesting, a number of posters have commented that they may turn their season tickets in for a refund, if this is a gong show, and I have concidered the same with my 4 tickets.
I'm betting that Portland even with two young assistants will move one up to head coach. If Green was still there it would be a sure thing.

patsdude114
06-26-2014, 04:22 PM
I really don't think it was so much the owners idea from the get go to get rid of the coaching staff. I think the business side of it caught up to the situation more, for whatever reason of Dixon not accepting the offer he was given (maybe the money wasn't up to par) it makes zero sense to keep a coach around with 1yr left in his contract when you have to go out and hire 2 new assistants. No assistant coach is going to sign on with a 1yr contract so they would both be at a 2yr min for a deal then throw in not sure if Cameron would of been offered a contract extension after this season, if he wasn't (for whatever reasons) then you got to fire 2 assistants due to the whoever the new Head Coach may of been wanting his own guys.

Had the new owners already talked with someone who they thought was better moving forward you would think that an announcement would of been made already since everything was already in the works.

I firmly believe that this was nothing more then a financial move made with the best interest of the state of the franchise. Just cause the Semple's for example have a crap ton of money doesn't mean they want to throw it away either, they haven't built one of Canada's Top 50 Companies by making bad business moves.

Also the ones Lang answers to for the hockey side of things are Anthony Marquart & Todd Lumbard. The Semple's were the big money people in this transaction & Lumbard is just another strong name in the Regina Business Community. Everyone is so quick to blame Lang but lets look at the facts when he took over this team as a GM he had NOTHING to work with and a ownership group that wouldn't allow him to trade Weal or Stephenson.

Lang had to rebuild thru the draft only, trading away assets could of sped that up a lot but he was unable to do that due to the ownership group always wanting 1 round of playoff money. There is no questions about it Klimchuk will be traded this year & if Hunt continues to get better each day like he did last season wouldn't surprise me if he is moved as well...could even throw Wapple into there too if a team is looking for goaltending insurance.

Rebuilding thru the draft only is a painfully slow process especially when you had little to work with when he took over. It doesn't matter who is the Head Coach this year we are going to be battling for a wild card spot and still most likely will come up short. We are going to be a much younger team this year, which im sure we will have no less then (3) 16yr olds and 4 or 5 rookie 17yr olds to go along with the (3) 17yr olds we had last year.

I for one will be happy then a pig in mud if we finally go this young again, there is no room on this team for guys like D'Amico or Christoffer at age 20 as they will just be halting development of the younger guys like Wagner, Zimmer, Kroeker, Steel, Smith also guys like Hansen and most likely Brooks as well. I strongly feel with a new coach now coming in Brooks will be in tough to keep a spot.

There is a very strong group of 16 & 17 year olds waiting to crack this roster and some vets are going to lose their jobs plain and simple.

Bighat
06-26-2014, 04:42 PM
You offer Cameron a contract extension for what he did last year, this was a move to get rid of him and chad lang no bones about it. They want there own guy, I get it but don't blow smoke up our a$$es. The idea he has 1 year left on his contract so let's fire him sounds and is ludicrous. Who ever believes that should get some help. Toronto fired both assistants and kept the coach oh oh I guess he's going to be the only coach on the bench this year. That comment has to be one of the lames excuses I've ever heard. Go blue jays go. I'm not commenting to anyone's comments here that's a reference to the crap they gave chad to say.

RWAH
06-26-2014, 05:18 PM
PD114 you are way off base. Cameron deserved a contract extension. Dixon got low balled so walked. Even with replacing two assistance coaches Cameron and Lang have the contacts that that would not have been difficult. For sure Marquart and Lumbard do not have the hockey contacts or expertise to pull this off. They may be great business men but they are not experienced junior hockey people. The model going forward is Marquart, Lumbard and Lang are the hiring committee, and we know who has the votes that count the most, and it is not Lang.
As far as the team going young I agree with you this team will, but IMO Cameron and Dixon would have been very good coaches for a young and developing team.
As Bighat said. QCS&E want to have your own people as the coaches, they have 7,500,000.00 reasons that they can do just that, but be up front and don't blow smoke were the sun don't shine.
I agree with you that Chad L had little when he got here and has improved the talent on the team and on the PPL.
Here's hoping the 2014/15 and beyond coaches are an up grade and not back on the merry go round we have been on for the last 15 years

dsquared
06-26-2014, 06:51 PM
Just thinking out loud!
Mark Habsheid (spelling ) is available and could be very good Coach/GM. He is from Swift Current.
Not sure he would come here if the ownership structure is as convoluted (spelling) as it apears.

His name has come up in the past - I believe he wants an interest in any team he gets involved with

RWAH
06-26-2014, 07:00 PM
dsquared you are right , that just jogged my memory. He may have changed since then. We will see.
My fear is a past player, or friend of the owners with no or limited experience

patsdude114
06-26-2014, 07:01 PM
You offer Cameron a contract extension for what he did last year, this was a move to get rid of him and chad lang no bones about it. They want there own guy, I get it but don't blow smoke up our a$$es. The idea he has 1 year left on his contract so let's fire him sounds and is ludicrous. Who ever believes that should get some help. Toronto fired both assistants and kept the coach oh oh I guess he's going to be the only coach on the bench this year. That comment has to be one of the lames excuses I've ever heard. Go blue jays go. I'm not commenting to anyone's comments here that's a reference to the crap they gave chad to say.

So let's give him a contract extension after one season? That seems pretty logical hey.

Ha and your comment about firing the assistants in Toronto is just plain retarded one guy in the bench ya you make a lot of sense. Maybe baseball is more up your alley cause your hockey comments have always been weak. Enjoy watching the jays slip out of the race yet again.

Don't get me wrong I liked Cameron as a coach as much as the next guy he had a great season but also let's remember all the talk during the year about how bad out record was against the clubs above .500 if I recall bighat you were one the guys who always brought that up, then we gt swept out in the 1st round. Sure we had injuries but we didn't even put up a fight. Those 2 reasons alone are enough to not give a contract extension. If Dixon had returned the coaching staff stays in tact besides billy and gets a replacement.

sbtatter
06-26-2014, 07:17 PM
From the outside, Cameron looked like a good coach, so I'm glad he was let go!

Bighat
06-26-2014, 07:38 PM
Last I checked jays still in 1st so I would say they haven't slipped out of the playoff race. My comments have you read yours ( no sense signing a coach for more than 1 yr ) . Cameron's track record is success, we could have hired any assistant coaches. Yes I know baseball inside and out but I do know a lot about hockey and business too. I think you should phone coach chamblin because he signed a 3 yr extension and his assistants only signed 2 yrs I guess this means he's going to get fired after 2yrs. Ouch. Really :o

chopper
06-26-2014, 09:29 PM
From the outside, Cameron looked like a good coach, so I'm glad he was let go!

Ouch...LOL:) ! That hurts but it's the truth. The one thing i've learned from my life's work is that "people don't always mean what they say, and the don't always say what they mean". People often lie about things and when cornered they do the two step, and say their words were taken "out of context".

My take is that everybody capable of counting to 10 knew McGuigan wasn't coming back, and that included the new owners. They also knew long before his resignation date. That left Dixon and Cameron. If you don't want someone back then all you need to do is insult them with an inappropriate raise in a contract offering. That makes it easy now with just Cameron on base. They only had to pay out one salary and viola; a clean slate.

I appreciate there is some disagreement on this point; however I firmly believe that the contracts expiration dates and new recruitment of a/coaches had little to do with this recent development. I listened to Lang's reasoning and it became more outlandish each time I listened. He was very uncomfortable trying to make the excuses. Cameron was his hire and he said his position was to steer the course. He didn't want to get rid of Cameron. I believe this was extremely difficult on him personally.

If a high end young coach was being considered, we had Josh Dixon available who is highly thought of as a brilliant young coaching mind. This however was not what they wanted, and that is very upsetting. We will hear about Dixon in a positive way very soon.

It is my belief that this was a deliberately orchestrated power play to oust the coaching staff. I have a strong held belief that this was planned early and the plan executed by a man in a lame duck position as GM (not his call). It would have been a lesser insult on our intelligence just to man up and say they wanted to start fresh and were relieving everyone of their duties. That's the appropriate and forthright way to do business. All they had to say is they were exercising their prerogative.

I agree with some of the posters who are wary of implementing alumni into senior positions before they are ready. I don't know of any alumni who is a "can't miss" quality applicant. We've tried this before with very limited success. I only hope ability and a proven track record are the criteria used to select the new coach(s). Anything less is a disservice to the fans. After all Cameron did spoil us with exciting winning hockey, a winning record and a pennant. It will be interesting to see the new face who will obviously have some level to equal. After all the bar has risen and been set.

RWAH
06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
"Chopper" Well said.

patsdude114
06-26-2014, 11:00 PM
Last I checked jays still in 1st so I would say they haven't slipped out of the playoff race. My comments have you read yours ( no sense signing a coach for more than 1 yr ) . Cameron's track record is success, we could have hired any assistant coaches. Yes I know baseball inside and out but I do know a lot about hockey and business too. I think you should phone coach chamblin because he signed a 3 yr extension and his assistants only signed 2 yrs I guess this means he's going to get fired after 2yrs. Ouch. Really :o

I think you need to go re-read what I put I never once said the bolded area...and what does Chamberlin have anything to do with Cameron? You bounce around more then anybody on here, try to keep on 1 topic are we talking hockey football or baseball here?

Anyways there is my post again about the contract stuff where I said no assistant coach is going to accept a 1yr deal...... and my reason for saying that is they like job security as well

I really don't think it was so much the owners idea from the get go to get rid of the coaching staff. I think the business side of it caught up to the situation more, for whatever reason of Dixon not accepting the offer he was given (maybe the money wasn't up to par) it makes zero sense to keep a coach around with 1yr left in his contract when you have to go out and hire 2 new assistants. No assistant coach is going to sign on with a 1yr contract so they would both be at a 2yr min for a deal then throw in not sure if Cameron would of been offered a contract extension after this season, if he wasn't (for whatever reasons) then you got to fire 2 assistants due to the whoever the new Head Coach may of been wanting his own guys..

Bighat
06-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Okay and I say give Cameron an extension like chamblin and then you get assistant coaches. Come on man it's easy to follow. All sports intertwine in ideology. By the way great signing by the blades.

Trav
06-29-2014, 12:04 AM
Something smells fishy down in Regina and maybe the truth will never come out as to why the coaching staff resigned and got fired. How hard would it have been to have giten Cameron an extension? Don't think it would've been hard at all. New owners don't appear to have gotten off to a good start there especially since they made themselves disappear on the day it all went down.

They may wanna learn something from the Blades. With the latest hires in Saskatoon, I think the Priestners are earning some points after a first bad impression. True the season hasn't started yet and the Blades might not be a good team again this year but I think they'll be better then most people think. Lang better make a big hire though it seems like the owners will have a big say in who is hred.

patsdude114
06-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Okay and I say give Cameron an extension like chamblin and then you get assistant coaches. Come on man it's easy to follow. All sports intertwine in ideology. By the way great signing by the blades.

I know how sports work bighat but why on earth give Cameron an extension due to one season. A season where we had a losing record to teams above .500 if it wasn't for us dominating MJ & Stoon we would of been under .500 even if we would of split those series against them we would of been around the .500 mark. You cant reward for mediocre, yes the hockey was more entertaining and we did see improvements but down the stretch we were not great and in the playoffs we were flat out terrible. You can blame injuries all you want to Wapple and Stevenson but we were not even in one game of the 4 games played. How can you give an extension for that?

This season would of been a make it or break it season for him even with his coaching staff back. The more I think about it the more I think the right move was made, yes last year we had a good season but really at the expense of MJ & Stoon. Our division was by far the weakest in the entire league and we barely won our division with SC right down our throats. We were 5-4-1 to close the season out thank god we played LETH twice and MJ in there to help us clinch.

Let's see who we hire and go from there maybe we get a better name and all around head coach then Cameron then none of us will care that Cameron was let go (or at least I wont)... I do think Cameron is a good coach don't get me wrong but with that said he benefitted from being in a weak division and imo that does not warrant a contract extension after 1 season of being the Head Coach

RWAH
06-30-2014, 12:01 AM
PD114 I agree with the right hire and a on ice improvement we may soon forget Malchom, but give the man his dues. All year lots of posts on the board were how the team lacked talent in every age group. The just completed NHL draft and every team in the east division had one or more player drafted except the Pats (zero). You have posted that you see some of the veterans not making the team this year because the 16 year old rookies have more skill. Hockey Canada has both Malchom and Josh on there radar as elite coaches. It was the coaching this past season that earned the division pennant. (I agree the division was very weak) but for all the teams. The Pats were the only east division team to boast a winning record on the US swing. Coach Cameron has a winning record at all the levels he's coached. IMO he should have been given a contract extension.

My worry is the management structure, that the GM will short list candidates and the GM and multiple owners will be the decision makers. My fear is that alumni and past friendship are weighted more than experience, past record, coaching style and connections in the hockey community. The things that should be considered when hiring a head coach

As I started this post "the right hire and all will be forgotten

chopper
06-30-2014, 06:46 AM
You ask a HC to primarily do one thing; WIN; and Cameron did just that. He was a rookie HC in the WHL and won nearly 40 games, a pennant, and brought back an exciting on-ice product long missing in these parts. It had been nearly a decade since our last pennant.

Last year Cameron had been selected to coach Team West with Dixon being his assistant. Hockey Canada has recognized these guys. Dixon was supposed to coach Team Saskatchewan and will be coaching with Canada's U18. Winners and recognized coaches. How freakin much more do you want? If you read the LP article Dixon didn't want to go and was blindsided by his treatment. He had obviously been expecting a better (and deserved) contract to stay with Cameron. They screwed him over and then did so to Cameron.

Regina is a coaches graveyard and now add two more casualties. It appears Cameron and Dixon didn't golf and coffee enough with the owners to suit their liking. Effort and performance don't appear to be criteria enough with this group. It looks like Parker's 2.0

To repeat myself this had nothing to do with contracts but everything to do with who the new group wanted and didn't want. They didn't have the stones to do what the Priestner's did in Saskatoon. Terminate everyone and start fresh, regardless of record and results.

There are some good candidates out there but there are also two other teams needing coaches. Both Portland and Vancouver are much more desirable spots, especially in light of Regina's history of treating their coaches shabbily. The names read like a litany of who's who. Make no mistake and I know this for a fact, many coaches have refused to come here simply based on that fact alone. There have been front line guys who wouldn't work for the Parker's. Recent actions put the new regime at risk of being viewed the same way.

I worry that Marquardt and Lumbard have solicited too much advice from local segments of Pats Alumni. Most of whom are self serving and nothing invested. I might add none of whom have won a pennant recently. There are a number of good candidates with a winning resume who would be a good fit. In light of the team's reputation handling coaches, it might be tough to attract them. After all we couldn't seem to find the money to retain one of the brightest young coaches around, could we? Will we settle for second best?

Now what? Recent new names that have surfaced with other teams are Perry Pearn, Glen Gulitzan, Tim Hunter, Jim Hiller and couple others. Then there are the recycles like Habscheid, Clark, Young, Hunchak, Dyck, and how could we forget Lorne Molleken. I for one don't see where any of the aforementioned are better than what we had! My dark horse in the race is Molleken who could handle GM duties, which I'm sure will be needed soon. If ownerships lives and dies by the word of the alumni, they will have a rough losing ride.

Bighat
06-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Very good posts rwah and chopper, I just think we lost 2 of the brighter young minds in the game. Good coaching is beating the teams your suppose too, when you loose to the lesser teams that's what determines your season. In any SPORT.

patsdude114
06-30-2014, 01:29 PM
The comments about the Hockey Canada thing... do we not forget that a guy by the name of Curtis Hunt was once on the Hockey Canada radar as well....once his pro stint was over he came back then was never offered a new contract and hasn't found a coaching job since.

We can say all we want about Cameron won during his time here as a HC but there was also a lot of you who were hard on him as well due to our terrible record against teams over .500 (which was a losing record). The pennant basically came down to the Pats having a better record then the Broncos against MJ & Stoon as the Broncos if I recall correctly lost 2 to MJ and 1 to Stoon (without checking but I do remember they lost a couple games to them)....also we couldn't play defense for the life of us as well as couldn't stay out of the box which is not a way to be a successful team or HC

Its been a very fun debate about how we all seen Cameron as a HC everyone has made valid points. I for one wish he wasn't fired as I did enjoy his brand of hockey being played but with that said the more I look into it im also fine with them firing him as well.

I think it comes down to more giving it a fresh start with the coaching staff, and Lang im sure will be on a short leash but we all know that Lang really wasn't pulling the strings under the Parker's cause all they cared about was 1 round of playoff money. Lang has been forced to rebuild souly threw the draft with no help of being allowed to trade stars for the right pieces (high draft picks and quality prospects) which leads me to believe that he will not waste a lot of time once the season gets going to move Klimchuk to prove to the owners that he isn't afraid to trade a star but just wasn't allowed too before. I think Klimchuk will end up in CGY with the Hitmen as they will be the top of the class in the Central Division lead by Virtanen, Lang, Chase, Rankin, Sanheim, & Thomas there is also reports that Tambellini will be back in junior as well.

I would think we will hear what coach we are hiring by Thursday or Friday after the euro draft on Wednesday

chopper
06-30-2014, 05:52 PM
I will be the first to admit that last season I didn't like our lack of discipline (even though some suggested it was just our fighting majors), our special teams, and our inability to play sound defence. Being 25% better in each area would have meant several more wins.

Cameron, Conacher, Hunt, Derkatch, Lowes, Molleken, Tisdale, Shockey, Preston, Johnston! - Looks like a coaching graveyard to me. Preston&Molleken found other HC jobs but aren't working now, and I think Conacher did. Hunt just got a Tier 2 gig. All the rest..nada!

All the feelings on the last firings have been articulated but in the end it's a moot point.! It's done & over and now it's time to locate the next victim:) I mean HC..LOL. I hope the owners put aside all this alumni bs when it come to selecting the new HC of the Pats.

I feel it's incumbent on the owners to make a hire that shows commitment to providing long term success. I want to see a proven winner take the helm and be allowed to select his own assistants. The sooner they get back to operating from a correct structure and model, the sooner fans will buy back in. At this juncture handing this job to an unproven entity is feeding him to the wolves i.e. Derkatch! Because of the turmoil we need a strong steady hand. We need ownership to stay out of his business and allow him to coach.

patsdude114
06-30-2014, 07:26 PM
A lot of our total minutes was due to fighting majors but we still were also up the top 5 for most PK chances as well, to go along with a brutal PK all season long. As nice as it was to watch how we played offensively there was never any progression on how we played defensively. Is that on Cameron or McGuigan or both of them? Either way our defensive side of the game sucked arse and that's putting it lightly.

Anyways this is the last post I am making about the old coaching staff (hopefully)..... wont comment anymore about coaches until the new Head Coach is hired :)

Also on a side note the Pats signed Jacob Elmer today which is a no brainer and I fully believe he will be a building block along with Steel... Im sure we will hear a lot in the future years to come... Scoring Elmer assist to Steel

http://www.reginapats.com/article/pats-sign-prospect-forward-jacob-elmer/163314

chopper
06-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Elmer appears to have a lot of offensive upside and I hope he has a shot at getting a roster spot. Good teams find about three kids in one age bracket and go with them for a few years. We have always had one star but nothing to support him with i.e. Eberle - Weal..

The plan should be to find a couple more to grow along side of Steel for a few years. Elmer and Smith come to mind as other 16 year olds. Signing Elmer is a start but I want to hear of them signing Schoiler. I'm still anxious over not getting his signature to date.

There is a lot that needs to be done and a lot that requires a coaches involvement. After the upcoming import draft they really have to get down to brass tacks. I would hope they don't drag out this process for too long.

The team needs a coach and an identity ASAP. Dependent on the coaching style and philosophy, it can impact the type of trades and players the Pats need to acquire. A coach needs to be familiar and comfortable with what he is given to work with. Get Er Done!

Bighat
07-01-2014, 08:18 AM
He's a 6th round draft pick how can he be a building block, someone said 2 years ago on here only the top 3 rounds pan out the rest aren't going to make an impact. Your all over the place on your comments.

patsdude114
07-01-2014, 12:36 PM
haahahaa see your old memory is going again as I had said very few pan out which is still the case..... go do your research on how many actually pan out and there is nothing saying Elmer is going to either but there is hope .

all your comments make me laugh when you direct them at all, half the time you cant remember crap that was even said so you just throw words in there so it makes sense to you

chopper
07-01-2014, 12:41 PM
I don't know who you are referring to but I stand by my comments. I liked Cameron and wish he would have been retained. I think he and his staff could have done a better job in a few areas, and I'm convinced they would have this season. As a fan and a season ticket holder I am still upset at how it was handled and I feel badly for Cameron, Dixon and even Lang. There is nothing we can do except hope for the best going forward. There will be a new coach and we have to hope all due diligence is exercised going forward.

I think the comment PD114 made about building block refers to the fact that another player from that draft class is signed. He may not make the team this year but at least he committed to them. We drafted Koberstein, he wouldn't sign, then gets drafted to the NHL.

Late round picks can emerge. Eberle was our "2nd" pick of the 7th round. I think Leipsic of Portland was also a 7th rounder as was Severson of Kelowna. Then you look at our 2nd round of 2011 and only Brooks on our roster (barely). You just never know do you?

In 2011 if we hang onto our 1st rnd pick we could have taken Bleakley. With our 2nd round pick we could have taken Fluery. Two 1st round NHL'ers. Point is you never know who will be a player. Nothing we got in the 2nd round was worth didly! It also doesn't matter where you draft a kid if he doesn't sign. Schoiler is a good prospect but it won't mean a thing if he doesn't sign with us. Probably anybody who signs a contract can be referred to as a building block. I hope we can get a few more picks signed and delivered.

Bighat
07-01-2014, 02:09 PM
No it was for patsdud114 who changes is point a view more than a women lol. What do you guys think we're looking for in the import draft.

chopper
07-01-2014, 02:42 PM
Oh geez....the Import Draft. That is one strange animal. It seems that we have not had great success overall over the years. Dealing with agents, who will come and who won't. Tough to guess on that one.

I think they will take one guy for Sinitsyn even though I feel he will be back. They can then look at the new guy as compared to Kammerer. He is a bit of an enigma and I really don't know if he will be a player or not.

The Czech's are keeping more of their kids so I expect a Russian guy. The whole thing is very strange. I wish teams had the option of an extra overage for an Import.

Other news..MJ are now looking for a coach as well.

patsdude114
07-01-2014, 04:27 PM
No it was for patsdud114 who changes is point a view more than a women lol. What do you guys think we're looking for in the import draft.

hahaha you just have problems following along is all, you will twist any comment around so it makes sense in your own head lmao anyways its ok bighat you keep the comedy hour priceless around here

as for your comment/question that does make sense I hope we do select another Russian as they are far more talented with the puck then the rest of the euro's that come over. Look at the 3 Russians alone in our division last year they all had great puck skills and could shot the puck hard, Sleptov may of played on a bad MJ team but he has some really good skills and prob 1 of the better shots from the point last year on his team. Oh & bighat guy that was from the point not better then Point

chopper
07-02-2014, 10:41 AM
The pats pick 97 born D-man Sergey Zbrovsky from Russia. He is 6'4.5" and over 200 lbs. Phil is saying it's an insurance policy in the event Sinitsyn turns pro. Since defense was a problem last season it could be a strengthening move. They were looking for a big puck moving d-man. Now what if Dallas returns Dimitri? Should prove interesting.

RWAH
07-02-2014, 11:33 AM
The import rules will not allow the Pats to trade Zborovski he can only be put on waivers if Dimitri is returned to the Pats. How ever either Dimitri or Max could be traded as they have been in the league a year..
Interesting that I think there are 5 teams that could have three imports if the first round NHL draft picks or the 20s are returned to junior so the value of trading an import may be reduced. This year draft picks can NOT be traded only released and put on waivers

chopper
07-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Good info to know! I had no idea other than the no goaltender thing. I can't see them paying release fees, agent fees, transportation etc if there was a strong likelihood they will only end up releasing him. There must be some sort of a backup plan surrounding this.

He had 16 pts in 27 games which is fairly stout. In fact more points than Max put up. If Sinitsyn plays pro then Zbrovsky will play for us. If they send Sinitsyn back, it will be a dog fight for the other spot. Personally I think Max will be in tough to hang onto his spot..

patsdude114
07-02-2014, 12:45 PM
The pats pick 97 born D-man Sergey Zbrovsky from Russia. He is 6'4.5" and over 200 lbs. Phil is saying it's an insurance policy in the event Sinitsyn turns pro. Since defense was a problem last season it could be a strengthening move. They were looking for a big puck moving d-man. Now what if Dallas returns Dimitri? Should prove interesting.

If Sinitsyn is returned im all in favour of letting Kammerer go, this Dman's size is what we need lets just hope he isn't soft as hell.... I think having Sinitsyn back would help this kids transition into the junior game

here is his tweet after being selected to the pats

"Thank you very pleased that @WHLpats chose me. Will try very hard to benefit this team and win her Cup"

Bighat
07-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Didn't take long for Dixon to find a new home, at this rate were going to start the season with an empty bench. Why? Because no one wants to coach here that's why.

patsdude114
07-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Didn't take long for Dixon to find a new home, at this rate were going to start the season with an empty bench. Why? Because no one wants to coach here that's why.

Hahaha you have the answer to everything don't you, I would think most fans would want this process to take abit of time as it shows your not just hiring the first name who contacts you. If you think no one wants to coach here you are crazy any coach other there who needs a job will look at any chance they can get to receive that pay check. Don't expect a head coach to be names until around the 15th

In the paper today there was some names mentioned who have applied for the job and also an additional name that they expect to have a conversation with very soon. The names mentioned are very strong candidates for the job in Ward, Hiller, Mollenken and hopefully Hunter. Either name IMO is a bigger name then Cameron and with that said I hope Cameron gets the job in Moose Jaw although I would expect if he does get the job there he won't be able to hire his own assistants due to MJ not having a big pocket to spend from and firing the assistants they have to hire new ones I doubt are in the Warriors financial plans.

Interesting times in the league with a lot of head coaching spots available.

Bighat
07-04-2014, 06:38 PM
I do have the answers and the candidates are old and recycled. You want some new excited blood in here. Here's the facts 1) chad lang will be gone next year and write this down if we struggle out of the gate he will be fired early this year, 2) the new coach will be a coach/gm material, 3) assistant coaches will be alumni, 4) Cameron will be a head coach this season in the dub. I don't agree with all these facts but let's see what happens. Oh and the contract off Dixon received was a joke.

chopper
07-05-2014, 10:37 AM
The fact Dixon got signed to three year deal in Swift shows that it wasn't a money issue. We could have resigned him if that had been in the plans. They could have resigned Dixon, hired Cassan, and they would have had a great coaching staff.

This was about ego and wanting to hire friends. It's cronyism at it's worst and will negatively impact the team. A lot of people went all starry eyed with the new owners, however I expressed caution. I've seen the multi owner thing before and it didn't work.

In fact there are not many if any, successful WHL ownership groups. Tri-City and Vancouver may be exceptions. When you have five guys they all want their say and involvement. That mostly leads to too much involvement. Good GM's and coaches usually shy away.

Below is my speculation and guessing about the HC's

Kelowna: will likely announce Danny Lambert. I would be surprised if it went any other way.

Vancouver: I'm guessing Gulatzan or Hiller

Portland: Since it's HC/GM I think either Hiller or Perry Pearn. Maybe Gulitzan.

Moose Jaw: I'm guessing Cameron since he was short listed last time. They would be wise to make that hire.

I agree with quite a bit of what Bighat says even though I don't like where this is heading. I think the owners know they screwed up and are looking for someway to mitigate the damage they've done. I doubt any competent experienced HC will come here, just because of the goofiness. Unless they can convince Hiller to hold his nose and they pay him enough dough, I doubt he comes. The new coach will be TOLD who his assistants are. I expect one of them will be Heward. I don't think Sillinger gives up his gig. The other will be someone like Cassan(not a bad choice).

Regina: I'm thinking Lorne Molleken in an expanded role.

There is only one experienced quality guy and that's Hiller. I really see him in a dual role in Portland. With over 600 wins in the WHL I think they will have a hard time ignoring Molleken, plus he's a Regina guy. Of course this could all blow up and they may hire some people from out in left field.

Bighat
07-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Chopper like your thinking. I also would like to point out if Lorne is hired his brother will most likely be hired as dir of scouting and I think our scouting dept is finally top again and that would be a set back. I think james will be an assistant coach and that would be a good move.

patsdude114
07-05-2014, 11:52 AM
I personally feel its going to be between Mollenken and Troy Ward which I hope its Ward over Mollenken. Also no coach which was listed in the paper is going to accept not being able to hire their own assistant coaches, they are all experienced coaches be it in the WHL or in pro hockey and they will not agree to that im very sure of

chopper
07-05-2014, 12:44 PM
That's some real good dialogue there you guys. If it were between Ward and Molleken, then I for sure would pick Ward. While Lorne has done a lot of winning, he hasn't had any playoff success. That's where you separate excrement matter from fat meat. Playoffs!

I also agree strongly that our scouting and drafting is improving by leaps and bounds. Hiring Molleken would bring Doug on board, and the end of our roving scout.(worked for Lorne before). There would be other changes which would set us back.

All I know of Ward is that he has been coaching in Abbotsford for the last few seasons. You expect he would have some skills dealing with youngsters. The best way to succeed is to entice a proven commodity away from another organization that is elite!

Since that isn't likely to happen it all about getting the best of what's left. IMO the best candidate is Jim Hiller, great record, coach of the year, a lot of playoff success etc. Vancouver also know that as does Portland. Both I would say more are more desirable spots.

The fact that the ownership group has let it be known that they are going to be severely "hands on", it will limit the quality of candidate you and get and "keep". If they get known as a "Parker-esque" type organization, I can't say that I yield great results.

They have a decent young manager but I can't see him co-exisisting within the structure much longer. When you see him and listen to him, he sounds reserved and defeated. One can only hope the unexpected happens and we get something that ignites the fan base.

patsdude114
07-05-2014, 01:10 PM
IMO Lang always sounds reserved and defeated (your words chopper) he rarely shows any emotion when dealing with the media hes a real laid back guy which is prob a big reason for how he is during his interviews.

As for Ward here is his coaching record he has a lot of pro experience has even been an assistant coach in the NHL for 3 seasons....he has dealt with younger players before in his early years of coaching when he was at the U. of Denver as well when he was in the USHL...he has never had a losing season (he had a losing record when taking over midseason)

I firmly believe he is the best choice on the table and his past coaching experience speaks for itself

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=56932

Bighat
07-05-2014, 05:19 PM
I personally would like to see chad mercier as head coach especially after his experience the last few years. I know he quit last year but I think he would be a good fit. I hope they announce something this week.

RWAH
07-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Great discussion. "Big Hat" Mercier is not ready for a head job. He has only coaches 2 years in the WHL as an Assistant in Regina and Stoon then went to the Alberta junior. Think he could be a good assistant for a year or two before a head job.
My choice would be Ward, Hillier or someone from left field. Whom ever, they need 5 or more years experience as a head coach in the WHL, ECHL the AHL or higher and some of the 5 years at a pro level.

patsdude114
07-07-2014, 03:57 PM
http://www.rockyviewweekly.com/article/20140707/RVW1101/307079981/-1/rvw11/edge-school-hockey-player-signs-with-regina-pats

chopper
07-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Good article about Elmer. I sincerely hope Elmer makes the team along with the others mentioned. We need an injection of young talent. Again the CSS has put out their prospects list and nobody from the Pats on it. Sadly that makes it two consecutive years.

Just to beat a dead horse a little; it speaks to the job Cameron did with what hockey scouts felt was inferior talent last season. The new coach will have to deal with the same thing. Our future lies in our young guys so the sooner they are on stream, the better.

I am prepared to accept growing pains should they bring three or four 16 year olds on stream. I don't know why but I have an uneasy feeling about not having Schoiler signed. Hopefully by the weekend we have some insight as to who the new HC will be.

patsdude114
07-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Good article about Elmer. I sincerely hope Elmer makes the team along with the others mentioned. We need an injection of young talent. Again the CSS has put out their prospects list and nobody from the Pats on it. Sadly that makes it two consecutive years.

I find that very funny since we do have this kid named Steel that is a cant miss prospect. He may not be a 1st rd NHL pick but if he adds alittle more size that could change due to his talent alone.

I really don't look to far into those lists as there is so much grooming that he kids go thru during the course of a season

witness
07-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Steel is not eligible until the 2016 draft.

This list is for the 2015 draft (16 year olds)

chopper
07-08-2014, 01:35 PM

That's correct! Steel will make the 2016 list for sure. I was referencing that we didn't have anyone on the 2014 list and again nobody on the 2015 list. That says we didn't have a high end prospect two years running. The 2011 and 2012 drafts were not stellar at all.

Last season Hunt made the CSS final rankings of North American players but it wasn't good enough to get drafted. But Papirny who is a real good goalie didn't get drafted either. I guess those kids will have to go the long way.

patsdude114
07-08-2014, 02:31 PM

I know what year he is able to be drafted the info given wasn't really that imformitive as I read it as property's in general not for the upcoming draft class only.

Maybe partially my fault but some key info was also missing above too.

Nine of our 16yr olds made enough of an impact last year to be rated at all so no surprise there but a strong start for Wagner and Reagan could change that at Xmas time rankings. But they need more ice time then what Cameron was giving them, hell Reagan needs more game action then what he was given. No more playing Mumby over Reagan:rolleyes:

Wagner really came on towards the end of the year, if he gained another inch or 2 over summer and another 15-20lbs he could be a force if he puts it all together and plays among his strengths. He's a strong skater for a bigger guy and loves to hit, the one game I really recall with him was in MJ the first game we faces Forsberg, Wagner and him had some great battles all game long with a lot of battles won by Wagner but then the very next game the coaching staff took him out.

I can't wait for training camp to get rolling again especially with this crappy summer we have had so far and losing days each passing day for better weather.

Let's hire a coaching staff already

Bighat
07-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Wagner or Reagan are not eligible either late birthdays.

WesternHockeyScout
07-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Wagner or Reagan are not eligible either late birthdays.

Both are eligible for the 2015 Draft. They do not have late birthdays where the draft is concerned. A "late birthday" is September 16th or later.

Bighat
07-08-2014, 08:19 PM
Perfect thx.

RWAH
07-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Via Pill the Thrill blog: the Stars have said that Sinitsyn likely to play junior this year and they need to be patient with his developement.

patsdude114
07-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Via Pill the Thrill blog: the Stars have said that Sinitsyn likely to play junior this year and they need to be patient with his developement.

I read that as well and thought that is perfect for the Pats, it's a breath of fresh air when you actually see these NhL doing what is best for the player instead of just rushing them into the next level. Let's face it Sinitsyn has a lot to work on especially his defensive game. He has the skill set offensively and hopefully this year he rushes the puck a lot more then he did last year.

I think with the odds very good he is back in junior that it is the perfect situation to have the other Russian Dman on the team as well, Kammerer just didn't progress last year like he should of and we have lots of quality forward prospects in the fold who I would rather get the ice time instead of Max. We lack defensive prospects especially ones with the size of the new Russian, let's give him a chance

chopper
07-09-2014, 05:09 PM
With Jaime Kompon being selected GM/HC of the Portland Winterhawks, I think the dynamics of the coaching positions has changed considerably. A lot of people felt Hiller was in the running for Portland job but they went off the board. Vancouver is taking a very long time, Gulitzan's name has surfaced a lot, but what if they go off the board. As expected Hamilton got the Edmonton job, Lambert should get the Kelowna job. That would leave MJ and Regina with the names we have all read. Nothing terribly exciting.

Portland does their homework and who can argue with their methods and success. They served notice they aren't satisfied with recycling dated coaches, something that has to be noted. They also showed that they are not too concerned about "alumni". Just winning!

RWAH
07-09-2014, 10:36 PM
"Chopper" Kelowna made the Lambert hire June 24th and have filled the two assistants coaches as well.

chopper
07-10-2014, 07:48 AM
"Chopper" Kelowna made the Lambert hire June 24th and have filled the two assistants coaches as well.

Good to know. I missed that one in all the local goings on...lol. He was a good and natural choice. Vancouver, MJ and us left..... Geez training camp is only 5 weeks away...don't know if I'm happy to see the beginning of hockey or miserable at how crappy the summer has been...lol:) I always view training camp and the Exhibition as the beginning of fall and hockey season...yikes.

RWAH
07-10-2014, 11:15 AM
To fill our HC position, they need to do due diligence, but if they fornicate the canine long enough all the good one will be taken.

patsdude114
07-10-2014, 05:50 PM
http://theahl.com/ahl-board-approves-rules-changes-p192792

Rule 85 (“Overtime”)
During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape” of the entire ice surface.

Teams will change ends at the start of overtime.

Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.

If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout.

I wonder if its something the CHL/WHL will look at as well, although I think we see more games won during the OT then in the pro ranks. I for one can not stand the shootout I rarely stick around and watch them anymore find it better to just listen on the radio instead.

Bepoleon
07-11-2014, 04:55 AM
To fill our HC position, they need to do due diligence, but if they fornicate the canine long enough all the good one will be taken.

I hope they pick Hiller. His TC teams played an uptempo game. Kinda like what Malcolm had going here last year.

RWAH
07-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Hiller would be a good choice. He has a .532 winning percentage and a .50 in the playoffs on some 50+ games in 6 years or 8 or 9 games per year which means more than the first round ousting. His speed , puck possession style is a treat to watch.
We may see a name that if from off the map. That would be okay if he has experience and is a teacher.

RWAH
07-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Congrats to Dryden. "hard work pays off"

Regina, Saskatchewan – Regina Pats forward Dryden Hunt has been invited to participate in the Carolina Hurricanes Development Camp running July 23rd-26th.

The invite comes after Hunt put forward a breakout season in 2013-14 tallying 40 points (21G, 19A) in 62 games. Despite a slow start to the campaign with only three points (3A) in his first 18 games of the season; Hunt exploded on the Pats’ U.S. Division road trip in November with four goals and one assist in five games and never looked back. His offensive production continued into the playoffs where he scored four times and added an assist in four playoff games.

“After missing a whole season it took me a while to get going last year,” said Hunt. “Then I started to gain confidence and felt I finished the year strong. Not getting drafted was tough, but to then get the call that I was going to Carolina was a dream come true.”

Hunt was ranked 144th among North American Skaters by the Central Scouting Service ahead of June’s NHL Entry Draft.

Regina Pats 2014-15 Season Tickets are available now! Reserve your seat for the upcoming campaign by visiting or calling the Pats Office at 306-522-7287. For more information on the benefits of becoming a Pats Season Ticket Holder, visit ReginaPats.com.

nivek_wahs
07-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Troy Ward is off the board as he will be introduced as the new head coach of the Giants.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/07/15/after-much-searching-the-vancouver-giants-at-last-have-a-coach-landing-former-abby-heat-boss-troy-ward/#sthash.hNroenSy.uxfs

chopper
07-16-2014, 07:27 AM
Good info Kev. That takes another good candidate off the board, and leaves just us and MJ looking for coaches. From reading the LP article it seems Hiller and Pearn have some expressed interest but want to pursue pro jobs before committing to Major Junior.

That leaves us dipping into the re-tread pool methinks. Hunchak is interested but wants a bigger role than coach. Probably Habscheid is of similar mind. Both have had smatterings of success but nothing electrifying. Habscheid did win a Memorial Cup with Kelowna.

Unless Hiller or Pearn have a change of heart, the pool gets real small real quick. Depending on what MJ does it could get even smaller. By process of elimination that leaves Molleken, Hunter, and whomever they may be talking to off the board.

In my mind I don't see too many big names. At this point certainly no bigger than what we had. Of what's left I see Molleken as being the most likely. He is alumni by virtue of coaching here before. He has relocated to Regina Beach, and he has 600 WHL wins.

I have no crystal ball but it may boil down to the best of what's left. Barring some secret talks taking place with a big name who has produced big results; I have a sense that this may end up being anti-climactic, and fall far short of expectations.

Thatshockey1965
07-16-2014, 11:02 AM
I just joined. a couple of points as I have read the comments on this thread and other threads as I have watched and became aware of players that are moving into the WHL in the past year and will be moving there over the next few years.

1) Don't understand why it is taking so long to hire a coach. I know its new ownership and that is a major change, but you would think they would be looking for stability for fans, management, and players alike. Do you guys think that they are having troubles recruiting a good candidate? One would think that this is a pretty good situation for a new coach. What about assistants? They are extremely important as well. Good size city, upside from a team perspective etc.(more comments on players that I have watched this past summer later).

2) Pearn would be a great choice. I knew him in NAIT and a pretty good technical coach, players back then liked him, winning track record, and his NHL experience would be an asset. Hiller from the people I have talked to that know him is a very good choice as well. Plays open style game with more read and react, and creativity is a huge and encouraged as long as its responsible. Very highly recommended from the most hockey knowledgeable guy that I talk to regularly. Molleken.... I know 2 players that have played for him and both said he was a players coach and they both liked playing for him. Don't know the inside workings of Blades but something went sideways in the Memorial cup year. Would be interesting to know the true workings.

3) Players... Hunt ... you will like allot this year. Super quick release, skating and speed has improved, and is a beast in size and strength.
Reagan... huge,(guessing 210lbs and not overweight) and his quickness as improved. But needs a chance to show his stuff.
Klimchuk.... Did very well at the flames camp, and from what I heard was near top of the young guys and the flames are very happy with his progression.
Wagner.. grown to 6.3 185lbs. very hard shot and speed is outstanding.
Gay apparently has been working hard all summer and will looking to have a good year.

Forwards will be young. Need a coach that will be patient

Tender..
Besides Wapple(huge workload) who will be a backup? There has to be a decent 17-18 year old out there that has finished MAAA or a MJ/SJ/AJ guy that can step in and play WHL as a backup.

D....
I liked Harrison when watching last year. Good 4-6 guy, decent size, skates ok. You folks don't have the same impression?
Schacher hopefully will start using his size, this is his year to step up
Burroughs. Talented puck moving guy. How much of the load can he carry
Who is going to replace a huge loss in Zgraggen?
Do you move Hansen back to his drafted position. Big kid, would have a little offensive jump from the back end?

20 year olds?

D'Amico.. I liked the best.

Sinitsyn... huge question if he is back. Wonder if the new coach can entice him back to WHL or will he play back in Russia. Will play large minutes if he returns.

chopper
07-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Welcome aboard Thatshockey1965! There are some good guys on the site with a lot of hockey knowledge. Hoping for a fun ride after all the bs this summer.

It appears from the press clippings that Hiller and Pearn are pursuing pro jobs so they aren't committing to major junior yet. I read Hunter was a leading candidate in Vancouver but they couldn't come to terms. If Vanouver couldn't, how could we? OR do we want to?

Again barring a shocker, I still feel it will be Molleken with slightly expanded role. Maybe HC/assistant GM? The fact is MJ is also in the market for one of the Hiller/Pearn types. They might feel MJ provides a more stable environment for a coach, over Regina.

There will likely be changes in both forwards and d-men. Sinitsyn will likely be back on defence. That could mean Sinitsyn, Zbrovsky, Burroughs, Regan, Schacher, (Schoiler Poteau Freadrich) as #6. Two of those guys plus Hand, Williams, Harrison, and Mumby.

It's not that anyone dislikes Harrison. It's just that there are 12-14 guys for 7 spots. There will be some trades without doubt. 20 year olds situation is up in the air. We need a hard nosed policeman if we're going young. Veteran forwards may be uneasy this camp.

patsdude114
07-16-2014, 01:59 PM
Yes welcome to the site Thatshockey1965, open discussions are always fun as everyone has an opinion just like an a*shole lmao

As for the Harrison comments that have been made around here a lot of people seem to really like Harrison but we also feel that he is prob worth anywhere from a 3rd rd pick to a 5th rd pick which we need to fill in some holes from trades the past few years involving draft picks.

Sinitsyn hasn't wanted to play in Russia for years now, which was why he came to North America at age 15 or 16 if I recall reading correctly. He played midget in the states and then was a red shirt in the NCAA for 2yrs before getting in 13 games of action which lead to an injury before coming to the WHL.... this is all going off my memory from an article I read on him over a year ago. From all reports he is either playing pro hockey in the AHL or ECHL or coming back to Regina to complete his junior career (which imo is the best for his development cause he has never had to play defense before up until last season and it showed at times).

I also think Hiller/Pearn types are way out of MJ's price range but who knows I guess, I have heard more that Cameron was interviewed for the MJ job already (again as he was a short list the year they hired Stothers). One would think by the end of the week we will have our head coach

RWAH
07-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Moose Jaw hires Tim Hunter here is the link if it works. This leaves only the Pats without a head coach. These new owner better get a good one.
www.mjwarriors.ca/article/tim-hunter-hired-as-head-coach

Bighat
07-17-2014, 02:25 PM
The pats are working on a major re-structuring and it is hitting a few struggles. Look for a surprise announcement with moleken as a vp. And silly in some role.

chopper
07-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Only surprise I see is Lang being punted and Molleken taking over as HC/GM. I could see Silly as an assistant GM perhaps. He has no coaching experience and other than how to pack a suitcase, I don't know what he could teach them. I wonder if Silly had been coaching material he would have been in the AHL/NHL by now.

At last report Hiller and Pearn were looking at pro jobs. Also I don't see either of those two guys putting up with the meddling approach the new owners have taken. With Hunter and Ward gone that doesn't leave too many applicants.

Hunter was a top end applicant that evidently chose MJ over Regina. There is a lot to be said in that. Barring some incredulous hire, this may well end up much ado about nothing.

Bighat
07-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Moleken will be neither the coach or gm he will have another role.

patsdude114
07-17-2014, 06:44 PM
What's your source? You sound so confident in what's going to happen? Unless your just taking random guesses which if is happens makes you look like a genius but if it's wrong makes you look like a horses as*

Bighat
07-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Sorry not guessing. Paper work in progress just ironing out the details. I have no clue who the head coach will be but Lorne has no interest. I do believe it will be an alumi.

BigCat20
07-18-2014, 12:10 PM
I've heard he is interested & suppose to find out early next wk, if he is chosen. Also, it is only coaching position, not dual roll!

nivek_wahs
07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
From Twitter today........

11:56 AM - 21 Jul 2014

Taylor Shire ‏@TShireGlobal 3h
Exclusive: Source tells me Regina Pats made head coaching offer to two men, but both were declined (one after other). Search continues #WHL

11:58 AM - 21 Jul 2014

Taylor Shire ‏@TShireGlobal 3h
One coach had previous KHL experience while the second was a Spengler Cup winning coach. Both with a lot of experience #WHL

patsdude114
07-21-2014, 03:51 PM
no body wants the job or the new owners think they can low ball everyone at this rate Lang will be behind the bench lmao

RWAH
07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
Good thing is it shows they are trying to hire a high end coach.
The bad things are: A.either the management structure or: B as PD114 said they are not willing to pay the going rate.
Here's hoping the get their ducks in order and get a HC soon

Thatshockey1965
07-21-2014, 06:26 PM
If that is true... WOW. There must be a qualified coach out there that would want a WHL job. has to be. What does a coach make in the WHL anyways?
Isn't it more about the right fit? Regina is a decent city decent fan support, and will not have that bad of a team in my opinion. Better than living in PG or PA. Perhaps I am living in a dream world. Love to be a fly on the wall in these meetings.

patsdude114
07-21-2014, 09:42 PM
If that is true... WOW. There must be a qualified coach out there that would want a WHL job. has to be.

One would think there has to be one out there but we did have a very qualified coach who won us a banner with a very sub par team on paper. We weren't even expected to make the playoffs and we won a banner, now sure we went perfect against MJ & SAS which got us our banner if I recall right without going back and looking SC lost 2 games to those teams mentioned above for whatever reason they lost that is what ultimately lost them the division.

What does a coach make in the WHL anyways?
I have heard its anywhere from 60k to 150k depending on the quality of coach.... now that is not me saying I know its just what I have heard so take that with a gain of salt

Isn't it more about the right fit? Regina is a decent city decent fan support, and will not have that bad of a team in my opinion. Better than living in PG or PA. Perhaps I am living in a dream world. Love to be a fly on the wall in these meetings.

there really isn't a lot appeal to Regina in the end, what do we really have for entertainment here? not much difference between Regina MJ or SC really. If the coach has a young family our minor hockey association blows and the proof to that is just look over the last 4 or 5 yrs at the WHL draft very few Regina kids are being chosen. A friend of mine who has WHL experience as a player (not many games but a few) got into coaching bantam tier 1 a few years back and he told me Hockey Regina is more concerned about teaching our kids structure and systems instead of working on skill level. Anyways that's just one example or Regina not being a great place to be im sure there are perks as well but does the perks out weigh the negative?

I mean come on Hunter chose MJ over Regina.... what was the reason behind that one? They do run a great hockey program there don't get me wrong but if it came down to dollars one would think that the Pats could afford to pony up more due to bigger crowds here, more advertising dollar ect ect ect so it does make one think abit what the problem is

Thatshockey1965
07-22-2014, 08:08 AM
So what is the problem? Money should not be. Looking at your fan support Regina is in the top 1/3 for support in terms of numbers. Mulitply that by say $20 a person per game with tickets and beer etc. Lets say 4000X20X36games=2.9m then add advertisements etc. Kids n WHL get $250 a month unless you are 20 years old which I believe is $600 a month. Expenses are not high. Certainly paying a coach a little more cannot be a major issue. The new ownership group is community guys vs a Calgary dude. Been to Regina a few times and it is not that bad of a city. Turned the corner a few years ago with the new oil money. There are worse place to live. Consider PG,PA,Lethbridge, and its certainly at least equivalent to Med Hat, Red Deer, Kamloops, Brandon Saskatoon etc. As a matter of fact personally I would put it above those cities to live in.

I truly wonder if they are just looking for the right coach with the right development philosophies to bring on a young team. Connacher and Cameron are old school coaching guys. The new coaches and the really good ones are dynamic teachers of the game with a free wheeling style with defense first but creativity is paramount. They dont beat players down for making mistakes, they foster energy from there players by rewarding them. Agreed on the skill teaching for younger players which I believe is paramount, but that cannot just stop there. It must be present in a WHL coach as well. Look at NHL players. They practice there skills as well. You are never good enough is a good motto. Best minor hockey program that I know of is Edmonton. Just look at the amount of players that come from that area.

Anyways enough about development. Interesting conversation about coaches and the lack there of in Your team. Hope they get one soon with the right assistants which I think may be just as important, as the players I would also assume are wondering and in limbo.

Over all not good for the organization.

patsdude114
07-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Cameron signs on at the OHA where Finlay played last season (pretty sure that's the same program anyways, one of the top hockey schools in Canada)

http://okanaganhockey.com/about/news/cameron-joins-oha-staff/

chopper
07-22-2014, 05:55 PM
We've had alumni coach before. Most recent was Dale Derkatch. He was a pretty fair junior and had a decent pro career in Europe. Dale knows a bit about offensive hockey, but without the horses he didn't have a sniff. The GM at the time didn't like to be critiqued.

This is not a plum place to coach. In fact it's a graveyard for coaches and that fact is out there. Questionable ownership and management before and now what, maybe more of the same? Cameron's treatment resonated throughout hockey circles. It's a tight group.

You know Hunter was on their radar but he chose MJ, and a good hire for them. Hiller and Pearn are holding out for pro jobs, so what's left? Off the board hiring is in play, but apparently two have declined. Unless Hiller turns and signs here, it looks pretty thin.

It's looking more like a desperation hire could happen, perhaps under the guise of an exciting alumni opportunity. Welcome aboard Jamie Heward. With all due respect to the various candidates, as a season ticket holder If something like that happened:censored:

My take is that if ownership is going to manipulate situations which cause two very good coaches to leave, they better inspire and excite me with their hirings. Cronyism, nepotism, golfing buddies, alumni, don't do it for me. Show me wins and a winning organization.

At this point they are the only team without a HC or assistants hired. Evidently they haven't been able to land any of the so called big fish which is actually very telling! They have time but the window gets smaller daily. I expect to be excited and inspired shortly.

patsdude114
07-22-2014, 06:11 PM
We've had alumni coach before. Most recent was Dale Derkatch. He was a pretty fair junior and had a decent pro career in Europe. Dale knows a bit about offensive hockey, but without the horses he didn't have a sniff. The GM at the time didn't like to be critiqued.

This is not a plum place to coach. In fact it's a graveyard for coaches and that fact is out there. Questionable ownership and management before and now what, maybe more of the same? Cameron's treatment resonated throughout hockey circles. It's a tight group.

You know Hunter was on their radar but he chose MJ, and a good hire for them. Hiller and Pearn are holding out for pro jobs, so what's left? Off the board hiring is in play, but apparently two have declined. Unless Hiller turns and signs here, it looks pretty thin.

It's looking more like a desperation hire could happen, perhaps under the guise of an exciting alumni opportunity. Welcome aboard Jamie Heward. With all due respect to the various candidates, as a season ticket holder If something like that happened:censored:

My take is that if ownership is going to manipulate situations which cause two very good coaches to leave, they better inspire and excite me with their hirings. Cronyism, nepotism, golfing buddies, alumni, don't do it for me. Show me wins and a winning organization.

At this point they are the only team without a HC or assistants hired. Evidently they haven't been able to land any of the so called big fish which is actually very telling! They have time but the window gets smaller daily. I expect to be excited and inspired shortly.

I couldn't agree more with this entire post :)

the only thing I do question the Derkatch comment he got career years in terms of numbers out of certain players but he didn't care about the defensive side of the game, which I fully expected when they hired him that year.

I have a feeling Heward is going to be coming here in some way shape or forum. I have a feeling there will be some compensation sent to the Broncos for us taking him unless god forbid its the Head Coaching position where then most teams will never stop a coach from furthering his coaching career to go up a spot (ie- assistant to head coach).

I hope this (above) does not happen though but im starting to get very afraid of who it is we are going to be hiring. I haven't actually paid for my season tickets yet this year all I have done is confirmed with my playoff credit that im getting them for this season but this whole coaching thing has me very worried maybe ill be going in and getting my credit back if its a job blow from Idaho as our head coach. Tell the new owners to shove it up their arse and go to games in MJ instead, at least they have a hockey mind behind the bench although I could never actually cheer for them but in the end its still hockey to watch as im a fan of the game first fan of a team second

Bighat
07-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Heward will not be the coach or have any roll in this organization. They will announce Lorne first then a coach. The coach I don't have a clue who it will be, but they better hurray up.

chopper
07-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Heward will not be the coach or have any roll in this organization. They will announce Lorne first then a coach. The coach I don't have a clue who it will be, but they better hurray up.

I was using literary licence when I used his name. It was for demonstration purposes only:) It was to show how this thing seems to be going. If Molleken comes on board it will be director of hockey operations or similar, and soon thereafter he would be GM.

Random thoughts: Congrats to Malcolm Cameron on his new gig. He replaces Tim Hunter I believe. Cameron will be back as a HC on Major Junior before too long. Both he and Dixon found jobs before the Pats could convince anyone to come here...Hummmmm!

One has to wonder how much the Dallas Stars influenced Sinitsyn in this matter. He progressed under Cameron et al, yet as of today the Pats don't have a HC. Perhaps because of the uncertainty here, it was decided that would be his best option this season.

This is one peculiar situation to say the least. Due to the late date it seems unlikely that the new coach whoever he may be, will not be in a position to select his assistants. That can be a problem going forward. I'm sure there will be more theatrics before it's done.

patsdude114
07-23-2014, 10:59 AM
I have to agree chopper there is a lot of uncertainty which I'm sure had a lot to do with sinitsyn signing in the KHL on a 2 way deal

RWAH
07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
PD114 regardind Sinitsyn: Not sure the uncertainty with the coaching staff here would carry as much wait as would $65,000.00 to $150,000.00 US dollars compared to the $650.00 a month in Regina and playing at home.

That said we are three and a half weeks from camp with out coaches, this is becoming a gong show. They have time to pull together a patio party for the season ticket holders on Tuesday but can't hire a coach, me thinks these ducks are OUT of order. Just crossed my mind might be a surprise announcment at the patio party! Guess I will have to go now

BillyBean
07-25-2014, 03:39 PM
Trent Cassan

patsdude114
07-25-2014, 05:39 PM
if Trent Cassan is the head coach I will be extremely tempted to get a refund back, he is not ready to become a WHL head coach at best an assistant. He would be a step backwards from Cameron

RWAH
07-25-2014, 07:55 PM
P dud I agree I will be in line to turn my 6 tickets in. I do have trouble with that as I think the announcement would have been made unless of course the 10 or 15 in front of him all said no the pay is not enough. Trent will be an assistant though and that could be a good move

Thatshockey1965
07-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Amazing that they have not announced or hired a coach. Are they perhaps waiting on a candidate to finish a contract? You need assistants as well. Can't believe it's a money thing as within reason(there must me a basic minimum) that will be very consistent I would think within the WHL. I don't know the cassan guy but just googled him. He is young with an incredible record as a coach. Perhaps that is what the organization needs is a new fresh approach to coaching? No more old style coaches. Don't know just a comment

patsdude114
07-27-2014, 01:45 PM
He has a great record in the SJHL don't get me wrong but the coaches in that league are not what you get in this league. He needs at least 1 yr as an assistant in the WHL before even considering him as a Head Coach in this league. His situation is no different then Dean Brockman he was considered the year we hired Conacher as a HC but lets face it Brockman just didn't have the experience needed in the CHL, he waited another what 3+yrs to finally get an assistant job in Saskatoon now which is a great move for him. Hopefully after a season or 2 he can finally be a legit candidate for a WHL/CHL Head Coaching job..... this is the same path as Cassen is going to need to take

Bighat
07-27-2014, 05:24 PM
Terry Simpson did it why not another young guy, coaching sjhl and dub not much of a difference hockey is hockey. It's just like taking a guy from the dub to the nhl.

patsdude114
07-28-2014, 10:11 AM
there is a reason why very few coaches from the CHL jump straight into the NHL as a head coach..... hockey is not hockey by any means at different levels you can get away with more then the other. The fundamentals are still the same but when you are facing much better all around coaches as a coach advances things change in how the hockey is played as they try to stick to what worked in the lower level and more times then not they get exposed badly.

Its a learning curve in todays game, a year or 2 as an assistant in the next level up will only make any coach better before taking on the head role. Dean Brockman for example has been in the running for a few head coaching jobs in the last 4 or 5 years in the WHL but has always gotten passed over and there is a reason for that.....experience.... if he had taken an assistant role 4 or 5 years ago he would be a head coach in the WHL by now but instead he is just starting with the assistant now.... in 1 to 2 seasons he will be a WHL head coach somewhere

chopper
07-29-2014, 11:41 AM
:) hey guys I am somewhat amused at how some guys think you need to re-invent the wheel. Young coach, fresh ideas, new wave, new style, blah blah bah... I think Darryl Sutter would take some exception with that...LOL. It begins and ends with experience.

I don't care how old any Pats coach is, as long as he can coach. Mike Johnston was an older guy but he had Portland playing a nice run and gun game. His replacement is another 45 year old in Hompon. These are guys who paid their dues coaching at all levels.

The age of the coach has less to do with success as his ability, and probably even more so on the type and quality of player you have at your disposal. You can't win the Kentucky Derby with Clydsdales! You need a certain type of player to play run and gun.

Cassan and others like him can have success but they have to learn first. Danny Lambert understudied for 5 or 6 years before he got his shot. Huska did the same before him. Even with decades of experience in tier 2, Simpson struggled a number of years in PA.

It would be beneficial to have the new coaching staff announced before training camp..LOL. I think after the poor handling of Cameron and Dixon which turned into a PR nightmare, to keep the fans on-side; they need to come up with something stimulating/exciting.

patsdude114
07-29-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm big on any type of advancement be it in the hockey world or in any work position that you need to pay your dues before bei advanced within the company/business world. Cassen for example has a solid record in the sjhl but that doesn't mean (IMO) he should just leap straight into a WHL head coaching position, a season or 3 as an assistant then advance again.

Bighat
07-29-2014, 05:13 PM
I disagree you don't get experience wasting time being an assistant in the dub as opposed as being a head coach in the sjhl. These guys are ready, give them a chance if you have 5 or more years experience as a head coach in the sjhl that more then equals being an assist in the dub for 3 years. Looking after billets running the defence come on assist coach duties. Let's let a young guy cut his teeth with a young team. Just because a guy played in the show doesn't mean he can coach.

chopper
07-29-2014, 07:05 PM
I disagree you don't get experience wasting time being an assistant in the dub as opposed as being a head coach in the sjhl. These guys are ready, give them a chance if you have 5 or more years experience as a head coach in the sjhl that more then equals being an assist in the dub for 3 years. Looking after billets running the defence come on assist coach duties. Let's let a young guy cut his teeth with a young team. Just because a guy played in the show doesn't mean he can coach.

Firstly the experience you get in the WHL is head and shoulders better and better equips you to be a HC in the Dub. The majority of Tier 2 coaches are a product of the money their organizations have. Since there is no limit on the 20 year olds and no controls of inter-branch transfers, Ontario, Quebec. You can easily buy a team and that is done regularly. Take note of the number of "cash deals" that competitive teams make at the deadline. Most poor teams sell their stars for a younger player but a load of cash.

Secondly; some Tier 2 coaches like Brockman, MacMillan etc have built themselves a name in Tier 2. The majority never leave Tier 2 and are often never heard of again like 95%. Guys like Hay, Huska, and others have learned in the WHL and have gone on to be Memorial Cup Champions. Even Terry Simpson who was a storied Tier 2 coach had problems for a while when he went to the WHL. It's a whole lot different. Even Brockman who has vast experience knows he has a lot to learn in Saskatoon before he's ready to HC

Some Tier 2 coaches have had success in Major Junior, however the vast majority have not. Brockman is doing it right in Saskatoon by coming in prepared to learn the ropes in the WHL for a few years. Cassan could be afforded a similar opportunity but he will need to pay his dues for a few years to show what he can contribute, and learn the league and it's nuances.

patsdude114
07-29-2014, 07:50 PM
I fully agree with chopper on this topic, there is a big learning curve when coaching both leagues the WHL/CHL alone are a stepping stone to get into pro hockey were seeing it every year with coaches leaving the CHL for pro chances oh and you don't see CHL assistants going to pro hockey as a head coach cause they would get eaten alive.

A guy like Derkatch comes to mind he got eaten alive in the WHL by experience coaches. Sure he made the jump from midget to our head coaching position which was a terrible move on Parker's behalf as he set up Dale for failure from the get go.

I keep referring back to Brockman cause he has been on a few teams radar the past few years now and finally a team have him an assistant position which if I recall correctly he wasn't open to up until this year. IMO our franchise is at a vulnerable position to put a guy like Cassen as the head coach, he may come with a winning record in the SJHL but if he struggles adapting after fans were excited about a new ownership group a lot of fans will start to question the new group (myself included hell I already am with all this BS lately) I always thought the grass would be greener on the other side when involving the Pats ownership but lately I've really been questioning how things have been done. Right now it's looking like saskatoon's group is miles ahead of ours and we all know what sort of things happened over there last season.

All I'm saying is if we hire Cassen we are taking a step back from what we had here already in Cameron, I truly feeling Cassen is hired it's a knee jerk reaction just to get a head coach for the season...... Kind of like a last resort type thing since we have missed the ball on Ward & Hunter nth who were very high on our list but who knows what they were offered since rumour has it they low balled Dixon which started all this

Thatshockey1965
07-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Agreed with allot you say about experience but you can also succeed with motivation. The key to coaching is designing a system around the talent you have in place and working and expanding that talent and system. With that said perhaps the experience helps you recognize the talent and the system but I think young coaches also relate to player better and get more out of them. Many older coaches coach by intimidation which is so old school. There is a fen line between intimidation and motivation and the mixture is the key to success in my opinion. With that said checking your website it says the office is closed for the next few days. Unreal that they cannot announce a new coach and leave the fans organization and mostly the layers in limbo. This uncertainty is not positive.

My opinion. Only team without a coach

RWAH
07-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Rod Pederson reported and I spoke to one of the owners and there has not been any offers to ant prospective coaches so there has not been any rejections. They have interviewed a large number of candidates and are set on getting the right fit for the talent the team has on the PPL. IMO there will be an announcement at the end of this week or just after Saskatchewan Day. I also think that Cassen will be an assistant.
The office is closed as the Ex is on. They are still working just can not get to the physical office in the Brandt Centre

chopper
07-30-2014, 06:41 PM
I tend to agree with RWAH that Cassan will get a position as assistant coach, which should be a very good starting place for him. Simply for the sake of getting an identity and moving on, getting a new hockey staff in place is crucial.

It's difficult to trade, recruit, and sign players when families don't know what type of coaching is in place. We are busy with getting hockey staff in place when we should be focusing on the the likes of Schoiler. It's been some crazy times.

patsdude114
07-30-2014, 08:06 PM
I have no problems with Cassen being an assistant coach here, heck I encourage that but not as the Head Coach.

As for Schioler from what I have heard he is going to be playing Jr. A or another year of midget to keep his NCAA availability open. I hope its not true as we could really use him to compliment Reagan moving forward but it doesn't look like its going to happen.

Thatshockey1965
07-31-2014, 08:43 AM
Could be a battle for the 5-6 Dman positions. Forwards for the 3-4 lines look as though there may be a lot of changes from what you say. Dark horses or players that may surprise you guys. You being the fans that watch or have watched this team closely?

Thatshockey1965
07-31-2014, 08:44 AM
So what type of coach do you think they are looking then for BTW?

Oscar
07-31-2014, 04:06 PM
Has anyone else heard they have it narrowed down to last yrs Blades coach and the
Yorkton Terrier coach?

chopper
07-31-2014, 06:10 PM
The Pats are really keeping this one close to the vest. I have a couple sources and they don't really know for sure. One thing I did hear was they were waiting to see if Hiller got a pro job and he did today with Detroit. I suspect that their top guy is gone now!

With that being the case I think things will move along fairly quickly now. Who that person will be is anyone's guess but I sense that the announcement will be underwhelming and anti-climactic. With all the best candidates gone, they are clearly into the 2nd level.

It's gullible to think we weren't turned down by a couple coaches. I have some ocean front property for sale at Balgonie for those folks. With Hiller we were turned down by at least three. To use terms like "officially offer" is nothing more than word smithing.

Ownership was less that truthful about Dixon and Cameron so I would view any comment from them with a jaundiced eye. Combined with the Parker's documented shabby treatment of their coaches, I think the word is out that the Regina job isn't a plumb.

At this point why not Struch?, but again why not Cassan? Other great choices are Young, Hunchak, Habscheid, and Dean Clark. We musn't fail to include Lorne Molleken with his 600 wins. The real coup would be to get Bob Lowes back here, former coach of the year.

crashnbang
07-31-2014, 11:19 PM
I think Cassan would be great for the job, I kinda feel sorry for what he is inheriting though if that happens because the offensive guys that have moved on carried the team. Brooks really need to prove himself this year and I expect Hunt to be the hear and soul. Although only 16, I look for Steel to play in the top 6 and I think Rykr Cole could fit in anywhere in the lineup and contribute offensively while not being a liability. Let's hope whoever the coach is that he actually plays the young guys because I don't see may wins this year so let the young guys gain some confidence. The poor 16 year olds from last year were setup to fail.

Bighat
07-31-2014, 11:30 PM
Lorne moleken has turned the pats down, now it's a crap shoot it have no more info.

patsdude114
08-01-2014, 12:25 PM
The poor 16 year olds from last year were setup to fail.

curious to know how the 16yr olds failed last year?

Neither one were considered elite 16yr olds Zimmer and Wagner were 5th rd picks. I would say they were right where they should of been but they did progress a lot throughout the year especially Wagner, look for him to have a much bigger role this season as he skates exceptionally well and loves to hit. With his size he could become a force by the time he is 18/19yrs old. As for Zimmer I see him being a career PK/defensive guy kind of like how Ouellette was.

Reagan on the other hand he was just starting to get comfortable at the WHL level and then came down with mono with really set him back as he lost over 20lbs during his sickness. He missed out on a lot of development which held him back even more down the stretch once he was healthy due to the playoff push and him not being sharp. You cant just throw him out there and set him up to fail after a sickness like that as it just hurts their development in the long run. You play these 16yr old in situations where they can excel not fail. Every player is different in what type of situations they can have success with, a guy like Steel this year will be put into so many more situations then last 2 or 3 years of 16yr olds.

Trevor
08-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Cassan has international experience too, as an Assistant for Canada West at the 2013 World Jr A Championship.

Trav
08-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Lorne moleken has turned the pats down, now it's a crap shoot it have no more info.

Where did u hear this? Jus wondering since the other day ago u were saying Molleken was going to be hired by the Pats but not as coach. Now ur saying he's not being hired.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-02-2014, 12:31 AM
starting to look like the pats wont get a headline guy...too bad, as it would've been nice for them to back up this big talk.

If even old man Molleken doesn't want the job, what makes you think the next Babcock is just going to stroll in? At this point we might have to settle for the mascot, or even worse, Curtis Hunt at this rate.

RWAH
08-02-2014, 10:09 PM
Greg Drinnon on "Taking Notes" reports the Pats are close to signing a head coach. Also mentions that rumor has it that Lorne M will fill a front office job. Hoping the poster that reported "Lorne has turned them down" is correct.
Historically Drinnons blog is very accurate, so we may get an announcement by Wednesday or Thursday

patsdude114
08-03-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm fine if Mollenken gets a front office job with our team I mean let's face it he knows how to win (in the regular season) you don't get 600+ wins for not knowing how to win. If he does become head coach he has the history of winning seasons is what we lack if he can bring that here I'm all for it, plus if we are winning it will put butts in seats which means money for the ownership and in the end that's all they care about. Playoff success will bring more money in don't get me wrong and we need playoff success maybe a fresh start is what he needs as he always had that hurdle in Saskatoon.

Bighat
08-03-2014, 11:26 PM
I'm told he turned down initial offer that he received which I reported 10 days ago. My last info was Friday.

sbtatter
08-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Twitter rumour said the job is John Paddock's if he wants it, Struch if Paddock refuses it

patsdude114
08-04-2014, 11:41 AM
John Paddock would be a great guy for the job here if he wants it.... In 16 seasons coaching in the NHL or AHL he has missed the playoffs only once (missed playoffs twice when he took over a team mid season only), he has won 2 Calder Cup's and lost in the finals once as well.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4107

I wouldn't mind Struch either but with him are we really gaining anything over Cameron???????

RWAH
08-04-2014, 12:16 PM
Paddock has plenty of experience and a great record. My reservation would be how well will the 16 to 19 year olds relate to a coach that is 60 years old. Most of his experience is in the A and most of those players are graduated Juniors so are 20 to 25. Brian Kilrae in the OHL coached very successfully well past 60. Don Hay is the same age as Paddock. Lorne Molleken is only 2 years younger. Think with one or two young assistants could be a good hire.
Had a bad experience in Ottawa and how he handled Ray Emery but I am sure he would do that differently if a similar situation arises again.