PDA

View Full Version : Import Draft 2014

dondo
07-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Giants select a big russian 17 yr old winger 21st overall. Not great numbers, but we'll see come camp time.

Giants Select Vladimir Bobylev
tweet
Jul 02, 2014 - 16:02 GMT

The Vancouver Giants selected 17-year old Russain forward Vladimir Bobylev in the 2014 Canadian Hockey League Import Draft.

Bobylev played 35 games with Atlanty Mytischi of the Molodyozhnaya Hokkeinaya Liga (MHL) in Russia last season. The 6'3", 198lbs forward had 8 points (4 goals, 4 assists) and registered 36 penalty minutes in the 35 games.

Lucic
07-02-2014, 06:29 PM
My expectations are so low now that I don't think I can be disappointed regardless of what happens. :p

JMoney1988
07-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Well hey look at Nikita Sherbak last year picked 2nd last last year, went on the lead the Blades in points, runner up rookie of the year and selected 26th overall by the Canadiens........, sometimes these kids have mass talent, hopefully he blooms in your organization.......

Lucic
07-03-2014, 07:33 PM
It's more the Giants selections (or even how Don Hay dealt with those picks) as opposed to me not believing there are any good Europeans to select. There are always good players in every import draft. Don had a tendency to alienate Europeans if they didn't do things exactly the way he wants. Of course every coach wants players to follow instruction but Hay was a lot more strict and a lot less forgiving than most coaches league wide. That worked for him at one point in history but not anymore. The Giants haven't really had productive Europeans (that they selected) since they won the Memorial Cup. That was an evident issue. Of course some of those players the Giants selected got traded to other teams and did have success. That wasn't a coincidence. It wasn't going to happen playing for Hay.

Priceisright
07-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Remember our first pick last year overal I think? :blech:

MeszarosFan
07-05-2014, 02:13 PM
So how long do the Euros in Kamloops survive? Christmas?

Lucic
07-05-2014, 07:25 PM
So how long do the Euros in Kamloops survive? Christmas?

It's a good question. Kamloops selected two players in the import draft so I assume Harlacher isn't returning? Maier was a pretty high pick so you'd think they would want to keep him around and bring him along slowly. It will be interesting to see what happens there. It isn't as though Hay hasn't been able to successfully coach Euros it just seems they have to be a certain type of player in order to have much of a chance in his system. I wish them both luck. :thumb:

dondo
07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
My expectations are so low now that I don't think I can be disappointed regardless of what happens. :p

lol - yeah I second that emotion

without Hayzer though, maybe we can give our euros a chance to develop before throwing them under the bus....

Kamloops loss(es) might be our gain ;)

Knuckles Muldoon
07-15-2014, 07:20 PM

I know what you mean. It's about as exciting as hot dogs for dinner.

Priceisright
07-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Is Osipov back in September ?

What's happened with him other than hay not playing him.

Lucic
07-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Is Osipov back in September ?

What's happened with him other than hay not playing him.

He should be. The Giants only selected one euro in the draft and I can't see them giving up on a high pick like Osipov so quickly. That would truly be a waste of a #1 overall pick. Yikes. :eek:

Priceisright
07-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Cool. Hopefully he doesn't go back home. And gives it a chance with the new coach.

Lucic
07-17-2014, 07:45 PM
I doubt he will. I haven't heard anything that would suggest that.