PDA

View Full Version : 2014/15 Roster or rooster (inside joke)

RWAH
07-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Six weeks today to the start of training camp so thought I would start the disscussion.
First a lot depends on the long term plan of the new ownership and the philosity and playing style of the new coaches, so this is a start and not cast in stone only a starting point.
The new ownership is very interested to bid to host the 2019 Memorial Cup and I think the direction will be to build for thr 2017/18 and 2018/19 seasons and they will need to have some 2019 and 2020 draft picks as assets if needed to bolster the 2018/19 roster.
Now for the 2014/15 roster and IMO they will go young
Goal Wapple and (Brown or Chapman) Fuhr is the same age as Wapple. We have kept 2 19 year old tenders in the past but I don't think this year
Defence; I am assuming Sinitsyn will be back so Sinitsyn, Zborovsky (if the visas work out) Burroughs, Williams (could be traded if Schoiler and Koberstein commit) Schioler, Koberstein, Harrison, Reagan, I also like Kallis (not showy but competes) and Freadrich there is some room for a trade or two to recoup some draft picks or some forwards.
Forwards Assume Chandler S will not be back: Klimchuk,Hansen,Christoffer, Zimmer D'Amico, Wagner, Gay, Steel, Hunt, Rykr Cole, Jacob Elmer, Luc Smith, Colton Kroeker, Brady Third??, That too leaves some room for trades.
The 20 would be Sinitsyn D'Amico and Christoffer ( I like his husle and compete so McViegh is the odd man out.
I am sure I missed someone and there will be different opinions so let the disscussion begin!!

chopper
07-10-2014, 04:42 PM
It's time for a new thread and the content is on point. I completely agree that until the new HC is chosen, trades and acquisitions are difficult to make. Most guys would like to have some input as to what type of player they need to fit in the system they play.

Defense: I think you might pencil Schacher into a spot since they gave up two draft picks to get him. If back Sinitsyn, Zbrovsky, Burroughs, Reagan should be locks. Next up Schacher, Schoiler(if they can sign him) and one of the remaining young guys. That should be your 7 d-men. Schoiler is a 2nd round top prospect and to not get him would be a real set back. D-trades: I see Williams, Mumby, Harrison? as possible bait to recover draft picks for our 2015 draft which is seriously empty.

Forwards: pretty much anybody's guess. I think they hold on to Klimchuk until at least trade deadline (higher return) and I think Steel needs skilled guy to work with initially. I think Kroeker and Smith are shoe-ins being 6'4" centre men. There are a lot of young guys and they can't all make it. There could be some surprising trades of veteran guys.

Overages: Sinitsyn, Christopher, McVeigh? I love D'Amico but with Lang saying he was looking at McVeigh to be a big scorer who knows? I really think if they go young they need a tough dude more than a 20 year old scorer. We need a policeman desperately.

Goalies: Wapple for sure. Brown and Chapman will fight it out for the backup

Imports: Sinitsyn and Zbrovsky. 6'5" d-men don't grow on trees and it helps address their desire to get bigger on the back end. Kammerer has shown flashes of brilliance here and there, but I think he is in tough. We have a lot of extra young talented forwards who will be fighting to stay.

The one thing that becomes obvious is that we have some depth in some positions which should allow us to recoup draft picks we dearly need. Strange surprises always happen in terms of trades, and I'm sure they will happen again this season.

patsdude114
07-10-2014, 05:48 PM
BLUE makes team
RED trade bait/released
GREEN midget/ Jr. A
BLACK bubble player
**anyone I didn't list I really don't think has a chance at making it this year which results in midget or Jr. A duty**

2014-15 REGINA PATS

GOALTENDERS
Daniel Wapple
Tyler Fuhr
Tyler Brown
Kurtis Chapman **midget seems best for him to get tons of minutes and improve against his peers, but if he out plays Brown by a lot then you have to keep him**

DEFENSEMEN
Dmitry Sinitsyn
Kyle Burroughs
Isaac Schacher
Brady Reagan
Sergey Zborovsky
Nikolas Koberstein **if MTL assigns him here**
Brady Pouteau **makes it if Schioler isn't here**
Liam Schioler **if he signs he is a roster player**
Colby Williams
Chase Harrison **I like Harrison's game but he could be the odd man out if the right things happen (see a few lines down)**
Tye Hand
Griffin Mumby **traded if someone wants a body**
Jared Freadrich

FORWARDS
Morgan Klimchuk **will be traded at some point and I believe it will be before the WJ camp in Dec**
Logan McVeigh **he will be Klimchuk's center until he is traded then it opens the door for McVeigh to be moved to improve another teams 20yr olds**
Rylee Zimmer
Austin Wagner
Connor Gay
Dryden Hunt
Sam Steel
Luc Smith
Jacob Elmer
Colton Kroeker
Jared McAmmond
Adam Berg
Carter Hansen **not sure he is worth taking ice time away from younger guys**
Patrick D'Amico
Braden Christoffer
Adam Brooks **im not sold on Brooks yet, hes part of that suspect draft of Lang's first here (pretty sure it was his 1st draft here anyways**
Rykr Cole
Riley Woods
Maximilian Kammerer **only makes this team if Sinitsyn isn't returned**
Dane Schioler **I don't see Schioler making it unless he shows a willingness to be physical & drop the mits but also being able to win fights too**

Guys like Williams and Harrison I believe should be able to recoup some picks we traded away the past few seasons. If Williams gets out of the gate strong a legit playoff contending team im sure will contact about his services, as he is not a terrible defenseman by any means & he did start to find his offensive game. He would be a very solid #3/4 Dman on a playoff type team. Could see Hansen moved to the same type of a team as he is a big body who gets in on the forecheck well. Im also not sold that we are going to use all (3) 20yr old spots, and not sure if any teams around will give up a 5th to 8th rd pick on Christoffer &/or D'Amico if it wasn't for their age of 20 they would easily be roster players in the league.

Shooter
07-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Looks like you are taking all guys from last season. The young players were not even dressed for the entire season and you think they developed that much wow. Remember if your not playing your not developing and this is why players are in AHL vs NHL. The pennant winners were knocked out by the Wheat Kings in the playoffs. Give your head a shake there will be changes.....did you not see the coaching staff realistically released!

There is a plan in place and changes coming!

D SPOTS OUTLOOK:
Dmitry Sinitsyn LOCK
Kyle Burroughs LOCK
Colby Williams LOCK
Nikolas Koberstein LOCK **if HABS assigns him here
Sergey Zborovsky LOCK
Isaac Schacher
Brady Reagan LOCK
Brady Pouteau
Liam Schioler is going NCAA get over it
Chase Harrison
Tye Hand
Griffin Mumby
Jared Freadrich

FORWARDS OUTLOOK & COULD see some package deals go down
Morgan Klimchuk-LOCK
Dryden Hunt-LOCK
Rykr Cole-LOCK
Sam Steel-LOCK
Braden Christoffer-RELEASED-TRADED
Logan McVeigh-LOCK-TRADE
Patrick D'Amico-RELEASED TRADED
Austin Wagner-LOCK
Dane Schioler-TRADED
Adam Brooks-TRADED
Rylee Zimmer
Connor Gay
Luc Smith
Jacob Elmer
Colton Kroeker
Jared McAmmond
Adam Berg
Carter Hansen
Riley Woods
Maximilian Kammerer-RELEASED

patsdude114
07-16-2014, 03:45 PM
how is your list any different then mine lmao

the only difference is you think there is trade value in Adam Brooks and Dane Schioler which there would be very little value in either player be lucky to get a 6th rd pick for either guy 4th at the most. Brooks is too small to compete he does not play bigger then he is and Dane cant skate for today's game.

Isaac Schacher will make this team as well as we lack size on the back end and he does have some toughness in him as we did see a couple times last season he just needs to bring it on a more consistent basis.

But your list is the same as mine we are not going to have a huge turn over but like every junior team there is always 5-10 rookies just the way junior hockey works.

RWAH
07-16-2014, 04:15 PM
"Shooter" its good to list all the players but the Pats can not carry 22 forwards and 13 d-men. The point of the thread is to narrow it down to the for sure, the bubble, and the also rans. not just the for sure.
It looks like everyons (for sure) list is much the same.
I agree with PD114 Brooks and D Schioler we would be hard pressed to recoup any draft picks.

PS hope you are wrong on L Schioler.

chopper
07-16-2014, 04:51 PM
I have a hard time seeing Colby Williams as a lock. He is an undersized d-man and the mantra was to get bigger this season. They will keep one small d-man like some WHL teams do but Williams will be expendable and traded to recoup picks.

How many NHL draft picks did we have this draft?..oh ya..ZERO! When a coaching staff has that little talent to work with and can still scrape out a pennant, they didn't do a bad job. It's not too classy to disrespect the only coaching staff since 2007 to win a pennant.

If it comes to Cole or Kroeker, then there is little doubt that Kroker is the lock. Smith will make this team as a 16 year old. Call it a lock. There will be a number of vets moved for draft picks in order to replenish the next two drafts which are almost bone dry.

Vets that start the season here will not finish here. I anticipate a young team but probably pretty big. I would not say that Schoiler is lock for NCAA, at least not unless someone has read something I haven't. The Pats would retain his rights until he is drafted and ordered back to junior.

patsdude114
07-16-2014, 05:15 PM
the biggest question mark on his list of locks is Ryr Cole don't see how he could be considered a lock when he couldn't crack the team as a 16yr old he is another under sized player. He barely avg a point/game last season in midget if I recall correctly. Yes he got called up I believe it was for 2 games (without looking) but that was just cause he is basically considered local as he was playing in MJ with the Generals

Thatshockey1965
07-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Shooter... here would be my list

There is a plan in place and changes coming!

D SPOTS OUTLOOK:
Dmitry Sinitsyn LOCK if back lock and huge minutes
Kyle Burroughs LOCK Enormous minute
Colby Williams LOCK lock and minutes traded if things go sideways in season by christmas
Nikolas Koberstein LOCK **if HABS assigns him here I think he will be assigned to WHL so lock
Sergey Zborovsky LOCK Locked(how good is he actually? time will tell
Isaac Schacher Lock
Brady Reagan LOCK Lock(increased minutes)
Brady Pouteau ???
Liam Schioler is going NCAA get over it ???
Chase Harrison Lock if one of the bid two dont come back) otherwise a 7 th guy)
Tye Hand Dont think he will return..concussions
Griffin Mumby ??
Jared Freadrich ??

FORWARDS OUTLOOK & COULD see some package deals go down
Morgan Klimchuk-LOCK Huge minutes
Dryden Hunt-LOCK Huge minutes first line guy
Rykr Cole-LOCK In tough
Sam Steel-LOCK Lock
Braden Christoffer-RELEASED-TRADED 20 year old? great work ethic
Logan McVeigh-LOCK-TRADE ???
Patrick D'Amico-RELEASED TRADED Locked as a 20 year old???
Austin Wagner-LOCK Lock
Dane Schioler-TRADED ??
Adam Brooks-TRADED I think he is locked but the first half will tell volumes. Needs a chance to play his kind of game and needs to play with bigger players
Rylee Zimmer ???
Connor Gay First line guy. Hopefully inmproves again on last years good year
Luc Smith Can he skate with WHL speed... size may be needed
Jacob Elmer ???
Colton Kroeker Locked. Good size and speed
Jared McAmmond In tough but might earn a spot
Adam Berg Same as Mcammond
Carter Hansen D move??? or and locked as a forward
Riley Woods ???
Maximilian Kammerer-RELEASED Locked and they see how he plays the first half

What about the tenders backup???

Thatshockey1965
07-17-2014, 11:38 AM
One comment on Brooks is, I think he can skate in todays WHL. Yes small, but heads up player with good hockey sense, agility, and puck handling, that just needs a little protection with bigger wingers and I think he will make good things happen. Last two coaches never really gave him a good honest look.

witness
07-17-2014, 02:18 PM
just my 2 cents....

I think that Brooks has some good skills. Skating was never an issue. I liked his game after Christmas. His compete level increased. now, he just has to bring that compete every shift. If he can figure that out, I think he can be a productive player.

Reagan will be a bigger piece of the puzzle this year. The coaching staff was bringing him along slowly last year. Just when you would expect his minutes to start to increase (Jan) he got sick (I think it was Mono) and he was out of the lineup for a month and never really recovered. I think he adds needed size and a bit of grit to the backend.

Can the Pats afford to have 2 Euros on the backend???

I think that D'Amico brings a little more team wise than McVeigh. McVeigh was brought in last year to help up the middle and with face offs. Couldn't win a face off and didn't have the work ethic to be a center.

Koberstein was a later draft. IMO the Habs would deal with him as more of a 'project' and would be open to the NCAA route (if he chooses).

I have been told that L Schioler is keeping his options open for the NCAA route. He hasn't made a decision one way or the other. If he does choose the Pats, it will be a much needed upgrade to the backend. This kid is elite talent!!

I always worry about Hunt. He is always one hit away from ending his career. He plays like a bulldog and continuously puts himself in some dangerous positions. Part of me admires his bulldogness and part of me worries about the big hit.

Can Klimchuk make is own offense??

Can Steel step in and contribute right away?

I like Harrison. He plays within himself. Not flashy, decent puck mover. there's has to be a place for him somewhere (or a value for him)

Trading D. Schioler?? He still has to prove he can play in the league before there would be a value for him.

Shooter
07-17-2014, 03:34 PM
REGINA PATS STATS REMINDER 2013-2014- not including playoffs

Chandler Stephenson C 69 30 59 89 +27
26 Dyson Stevenson RW 66 38 38 76 +23
18 Morgan Klimchuk LW 57 30 44 74 +26
20 Boston Leier LW 65 33 39 72 +5
6 Dmitry Sinitsyn D 69 10 34 44 +5
32 Connor Gay RW 61 19 24 43 +13
29 Dryden Hunt C 62 21 19 40 -3
4 Kyle Burroughs D 58 8 32 40 +14
44 Jesse Zgraggen D 70 5 32 37 +26
23 Braden Christoffer LW 61 13 22 35 -1
5 Colby Williams D 66 9 23 32 0
9 Logan McVeigh C 67 11 15 26 +2
25 Patrick D'Amico C 48 6 18 24 +8
15 Carter Hansen RW 70 8 3 11 -10
10 Adam Brooks C 60 4 7 11 -9
28 Isaac Schacher D 60 1 8 9 +22
36 Chase Harrison D 42 0 8 8 +11
3 Stephen Hak D 16 0 5 5 0 7 0 0
3 Griffin Mumby D 55 1 3 4 0
21 Maximilian Kammerer LW 40 1 2 3 -7
27 Austin Wagner LW 42 1 1 2 +1
55 Brady Reagan D 27 0 2 2 +2
31 Dawson MacAuley G 50 0 2 2
39 Dane Schioler RW 7 1 0 1 -2 0
8 Carson Samoridny RW 10 1 0 1 -4
Nick Schneider G 9 0 1 1 0 0 0 0
41 Dexter Bricker LW 1 0 0 0 0
38 Rykr Cole RW 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
33 Tyler Fuhr G 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
35 Spencer Tremblay G 1 0 0 0 0
44 Luke Fenske D 2 0 0 0 -1
33 Mac Engel G 3 0 0 0 0 6 0
39 Sam Steel C 5 0 0 0 0 0 0
28 Nathyn Mortlock D 7 0 0 0 -1
2 Tye Hand D 21 0 0 0 -7
35 Daniel Wapple G 43 0 0 0 0
24 Rylee Zimmer C 44 0 0 0 -5

Thatshockey1965
07-21-2014, 09:50 AM
I just think that Brooks needs a chance. All is there. You dont have to be large to be successful and he isnt that small. With that said in the game today you have to have a general size and speed type team. Some of the kids that I would expect to have a good shot like Kroeker have that size and speed.

Koberstein... never seen him play. AJHL is a fair distance from the WHL. His size and stats are good for a crappy team.

If Sinitsny returns the back end will be good to very good. Goal tending will be good as Wapple is top end, so just hope that he can stay healthy and not get tired out and be able to play 65 odd games. He seems like that kind of workhorse.

Klimchuk cannot carry the offense by himself especially even strength. He needs a support structure as Stevenson and Stephenson where that last year. If I was a opposite coach, I would pay particular attention to him, and can he fight through that? He is one year older but will need help. Who is going to to that? Think that Hunt will be a huge part of that but must stay healthy. Gay must have a good year, and I think whom ever they keep for a 20 year old or two 20's will be relied upon to for good point production. The rookies will have to preform at a higher level and the Brooks must as well. The rookies from last year may be the key in my opinion... can they step up? Of course this is all just guessing but really think over all it will be the supporting scoring that is the key, and perhaps even more with will be the system that they play whenever the new coach is announced.

patsdude114
07-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Myself Im on the fence about Brooks I really don't think he truly has it in him to be an effective player at the WHL level. I really hope he proves me wrong but as of right now I just don't see it, there is a reason why he wasn't getting many minutes the past 2 seasons as coaches see it when a player is worth developing more or not. He was always above the rest of his age group within our organization which is why he always had a spot, and everyone knows in our organization the '96 group is extremely weak. I personally feel that Harrison is our best player within the '96 group.

Thatshockey1965
07-22-2014, 08:17 AM
Harrison is a good 5-6 guy. Stable and allot of teams would like to have a few guys like that. 97s will be interesting who can step in this year and be a contributor. 96's who can step up and make it as this is there last swing at it. 98s.. not sold on Steel, but we will see. Seen him play MAAA and in my opinion way to much peripheral play. Jury is out and yet to be proven. Who else is ready for that jump at 16 ie 98s. The 16s from last year got such minor icetime that it is hard to judge there talents.

Looking at the in the system players, size will not be a problem for sure. Do they have the skill though or as I said in the other thread can the new coaches bring that skill out and get the most out of the individual players and team?

nivek_wahs
07-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Interesting tidbit......

From 11:13 am today.

@MacBethReport
Dmitri Sinitsyn (Regina, 2013-2014) signed 2-year 2-way contract with Dynamo Moscow (Russia, KHL). Last season with Regina, 69 GP, 10+34.

patsdude114
07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
That's very interesting news I'm not sure how the two way deal works in Russia maybe that's just for his rights once his junior career done but it's not looking good for him returning now

Bighat
07-22-2014, 01:35 PM
Gone

Thatshockey1965
07-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Well that leaves a big hole. Sacher better step up big time(dont think he has it in him). Power play takes a huge beating . who will step in and try and replace?

patsdude114
07-22-2014, 05:37 PM
I think this leaves an opening for Williams to really stick around, which I guess in the long run isn't so bad either as he will be a 20yr old Dman for us as Burroughs will not be back as a 20yr old with all the experience he is gaining playing in the AHL already. When looking at the overall numbers in the age groups keeping Williams does make more sense as we should have 3 very capable 20yr olds in the 2015/16 season in Hunt Gay Williams

nivek_wahs
07-23-2014, 08:12 AM
That's very interesting news I'm not sure how the two way deal works in Russia maybe that's just for his rights once his junior career done but it's not looking good for him returning nowThe KHL has a minor league just like the NHL. Instead of having the AHL, they have the VHL (Vysshaya Liga) which is commonly seen as RUS-2.

patsdude114
07-23-2014, 10:13 AM
Okay thanks for that didn't know anything about that

RWAH
07-28-2014, 08:34 PM
"Small thoughts at large" has the 2014 / 15 Pat's prospects on it.
The site will have all the teams in time.

Thatshockey1965
07-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Do you have a site for this?

hockeyfan60
07-29-2014, 09:29 AM
What the pats need is coaches......4 weeks to go and still no coach

I was at spring camp and noticed the pats have lots of size on defense.
Freadrick isnt very big and based on comments that they want to go with size and young players he will have a tough time making the lineup.
Brady Pouteau and list players, Krushen and Lovell are big (6'2") and can move the puck and have good speed.
Krushen had the only hit in all the drills and seems to be very solid. He was at rookie camp last year as an invite and made main camp.

It will be interesting to see out of those three who has worked hard during the off season and is ready to step up at camp this august. It will come down to game play and how they handle themselves with the vets.

RWAH
07-29-2014, 10:39 AM
"TH1965"hope this works
/smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/
here is a kid on PA's list look at the stats
Josh Maser Left Wing 6'0", 185 lb
2014-15 age: 15 Acquired: 2014 4th round bantam pick
GP G A Pts PIM
Penticton Vees (OMAHA AAA bantam) 61 72 55 127 70
Stars (B.C. U16 Cup) 4 1 0 1 0

Maser has signed a WHL education contract

Bartholamew
07-29-2014, 10:46 PM
I watched James Hilsendager at the combine in Sherwood Park in June. He is over 6' and 190 lbs. He was game star in 2 of the 3 showcase games.

RWAH
07-29-2014, 11:06 PM
At training camp last year I sat with his father at two sessions and he was a very nice man with down to earth expectations for James. If son is like father should be great lad to have on the team as a person. With size and skill not a bad late draft.