PDA

View Full Version : Paddock new HC looks like Lang may be done too....

patsdude114
08-04-2014, 03:15 PM
http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/head+coach+Regina+Pats/10088769/story.html

With John Paddock taking the Pats Head Coaching job it looks like Lang's days may be numbered as the GM as Paddock also takes on Hockey Operation control as well (which I would presume is the GM role???)

chopper
08-04-2014, 06:00 PM
After reading the LP article i don't know how one could take anything else out of the obvious. The director of hockey operations pretty much means all the hockey happenings. I imagine we will hear pretty soon the Lang has resigned to " persure other opportunities".

Not a name heard in any circles. Wonder if they had to reach out after all the supposed "A" list guys were taken. He's not a "new wave" guy but his ability to coach is all that matters. Lets hope they hire a great young assistant since he's likely gone in two or less.

His resume shows he is a lifetime wondering hired coach so his likely tenure here is short. As long as they hire a good possible replacement for when he finds his next gig. I hope he plans to be here a few years casue it takes that long to learn the GM ropes.

patsdude114
08-04-2014, 06:41 PM
It may be reading way to far into it but Paddock was told by Philadelphia that he would not be coming back on June 18th and a couple days later Cameron was let go....... He is from Brandon and if I recall the one owner can't recall the name but his family runs a funeral business which started in Brandon so maybe there is some toes there to the families.

Paddock is getting up there in age if I recall without checking he is 60+ maybe he is looking for a more relaxed type job but to stay in the hockey world. A job here would be a much more relaxed type job compared to the AHL or NHL level but he gets to still stick with the developing phase.

I'm excited about this hiring and I have a feeling it is not a short term with Paddock just due to his age. He has accomplished all he can in the AHL, unless the perfect NHL job falls in his lap I can see him here for 4+ yrs easy. (Or I'm hoping)

Next up who are his assistants going to be........ Does Cassen get a chance and learn from a very experienced & successful bench boss? Does Mercier (pats alumni) give the WHL another crack after his experience as a head coach & GM in the AJHL.... Or does Paddock bring in a friend or 2 from his coaching years to help?

Still questions to be answered but finally we have something worth while to talk about as Pats fans

nivek_wahs
08-04-2014, 07:03 PM
The Pipeline Show is saying that Pat alumni Darrin McKechnie has been named as an assistant coach.

As first reported by TPS. John paddock expected to sign as Head Coach with @WHLpats today. Former pat Darren McKechnie asst coach @TPS_Guy

RWAH
08-04-2014, 07:15 PM
I think the new owners would have got a long term commitment from Paddock as I know they are wanting to host the 2019 M Cup and they want to be contenders by 2016/17 season and 2017/18 and a stable organization by then.
Any chance of Cassen and Struch as assistants? seems the ownership group want to be involved so there is not a lot of time to let Paddock do a search, interview, and hire from a new batch of candidates. PD114 you may be right that he has coaches he has worked with in mind.
My only reservation is the ownership. Will they allow him to be in charge of the hockey operations or will all decisions (roster, trades, etc.) need to be fettered through the owners?

chopper
08-04-2014, 09:49 PM
I know Darren McKechnie very well and he is talented enough to do a good job if he were named an a/coach. The thing that makes me wonder is how is another City Police Officer going to be able to find time to do two jobs. Would he be part-time? With the goalie coach that would make two police officers on a sort of an ad hoc basis. Darren had great hands and wheels when he played for the Pats and he would be an ideal choice as a skills coach should they go that direction. Decisions soon I suspect.

Darren still doesn't have any serious coaching experience though, he has been coaching Midget AA and scouting for Kootenay. They still need another experienced guy to come on board. I hope they consider Cassan as he has some junior background.

Considering that Paddock has never coached in the WHL, neither has McKechnie, and neither has Cassan. They will have a very steep learning curve especially Paddock who is now in charge of hockey operations. Interesting times ahead.

Thatshockey1965
08-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Well that's interesting to say the least. Pretty high credentials for a late hire. One would wonder if he was acceded a while ago but was waiting until now to see about a NHL or a AHL position if one opened up. Only reason I say that is the money difference between AHL and NHL assistant and this job. There is a lot for him to catch up on as he probably doesn't know any of the players. If it is him it will surely be a busy couple of weeks.

On paper it looks very strong, and I think it will be very interesting to see the assistant coaches. Is this just a grooming mentoring year or two for Cassan? From what I heard he is a really good guy. The players probably need a young coach that they can relate to, but with that said Pollock obviously can do that with so many AHL years.

How do you think the fans will react to this move? Not only from a coaching perspective but from a GM move if that is happening. What was or is the feeling surrounding Lang?

You guys don't seem to have too high of impressions for the new owners either. Any reason? Watched the news conference and there introduction and they seemed to be good guys. Correct me if I'm wrong the the Parker's pretty much run this as a profit business.

patsdude114
08-05-2014, 07:16 AM
That's hockey I think I'm with you that Paddock was their giy all along but were waiting on seeing if he got a job in the AHL or NHL before he fully committed to junior hockey. One would think with his job experience in both coaching and as a GM that he would be bringing in a 3 figure salary in junior as well, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it's between 100k-130k for this job just due to his name and experience.

If this in fact was the guy the owners had their minds set on as Paddock was let go by Philadelphia 3 days before Cameron was set free then I'm not so concerned about the new owners anymore. I dd think with the time frame on this hiring that it was a complete joke, but things have a way of working themselves out in the long run and this is a big splash in the coaching world especially for junior hockey. Paddock is by far the biggest name coach the Pats have ever had during my 25+ yrs as a Pats fan.

Can't wait for training camp now and see what Paddock's message is to the kids at the start of training camp. As I do remember what Cameron's was to the vet workouts.

I think for guys like Brooks also Kammerer really need to prove themselves in camp as it's not like they have done anything decent yet in theist WHL career's to show that they are worth while.

chopper
08-05-2014, 09:31 AM
These things have a way of evolving and have many moving parts. I doubt that he was their #1 guy but may have been on the radar to some extent. Hiller, Pearn, Paddock, Ward, Hunter etc were probably all on their radar. Those guys were also looking for pro jobs as well as junior jobs. It's somewhat telling that right after Hiller signed with Detroit, they made this announcement. If Paddock wasn't getting a pro job after his release by Philly, this hire could have been done long ago. There were others sniffed out who didn't bite.

Paddock will now have to make hockey decisions and learn the WHL, the league, players and GM's. That will take some time. McKechnie is a good guy but very limited coaching background. I'm not sure he's even eligible to retire yet. It's not helpful to have a part-time coach in place. I'm hopeful that they hire another assistant with some junior experience. This coaching staff will have a very small window to get up to speed, especially if Lang is pushed out or resigns. All new people and camp just around the corner...sheesh!

I don't sing praises until I see results. Cameron won a pennant with very little talent and depth. We will have to see how Paddock produces. We will need to see how he manoeuvres in the WHL trade world now that he's in charge. It will be most interesting going forward. I truly hope they find the right guy who Paddock can mentor to be the next HC. I don't get the sense an ex-pro guy will be here too long. Conacher wasn't, and contract lengths mean nothing. I agree with the poster who said "show me, I'm from Missouri".

patsdude114
08-05-2014, 10:40 AM
I agree the term means jack crap at this point he could be a 1year guy and gone next season when a pro job is offered his way. Now I hope that's not the case as Cameron would of still been the perfect guy for the job then, this franchise needs some stability with coaches something we haven't had during my time as a Pats fan anyways. I think te longest serving coach here has been Hunt and that was what 4 out of 5 years (or was it 5 out of 6 years I forget) either way it is not a winning formula by any means, last season was the first time I ever remembering that the Pats promoted an assistant to the head coach it's like there is no structure at all within our franchise and so far to date even with new owners there still isn't........ Maybe things start to change now but it's too early to tell yet.

Training camp can start up any time now lol I'm very interested in getting things started now and see where this takes us.

Wonder if a hiring of this stature helps gets Liam Schoiler signed or Koberstein to come here, if their parents are knowledgable at all with the hockey world and seeing what this guy has accomplished as a coach one would like to think that maybe Regina now becomes a very good option for prospects now.

chopper
08-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Obviously I hope the team does well and he adapts to the junior game. I can tell you he is a tough old school coach, with plenty of screaming and yelling to go with it. The kids will be in for a culture shock to say the least. Certainly not a warm and fuzzy kind of guy!

I don't care how old a guy is provided he can coach results. Paddock is 60 while Cameron was 45 so as far a hiring a young coach to grow with the team, that went out the door. A lot of folks feel the game has left him behind, like was said about Molleken by some.

Ultimately Struch may have been a better long term fit being younger with a bigger upside. I get a sense that this hire had as much to do with optics and PR, as it did with being the best fit and producing results. I wish the guy the best but don't see this as long term.

patsdude114
08-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Maybe this is his step in the door as a junior GM I mean let's face it he isn't getting any younger maybe he is lookin at it as a way to stay in the game if hockey while being closer to where he is from (baring he has any family still there)....... There are usually reasons behind a guy leaving the professional game and coming to junior. Maybe he hires on Dave Sturch (I believe that's his name lol) as an assistant (for an example) with the intentions of giving him the head coach job in a year or 2 as Paddock goes to the management side only.

I guess let's see what happens

nivek_wahs
08-06-2014, 07:00 AM
http://blogs.leaderpost.com/2014/08/05/42918/

From Greg Harder.....

Paddock/Pats set to make it official

John Paddock has officially signed a “long-term” contract to become the Regina Pats’ head coach and senior vice-president of hockey operations, the Leader-Post has learned.

A formal announcement is expected Wednesday.

Paddock will have autonomy in hockey operations, reporting directly to president/part owner Todd Lumbard. Chad Lang has been asked to remain with the team as senior vice-president while relinquishing the GM title. His responsibilities will be split between the hockey and business sides, also working under Lumbard.

Lang, who joined the Pats in 2010, has one year left on the contract extension he received last summer from former owner Russ Parker. Lang is expected to be a vital resource for Paddock, who is making his first foray into the junior ranks after spending the past 30 years as a coach, GM and scout in the NHL and AHL.

The former Winnipeg Jets boss won’t have much time to get acclimated, with training camp just over two weeks away. The team is slated to hit the ice at the Co-operators Centre on Aug. 21.

chopper
08-06-2014, 10:28 AM
This is one tough crap burger for Lang to swallow and he will need a lot of sugar and water to make it go down. I assume he is burning up the lines trying to find something else but I think he is stuck. It's too late into the off season to get much on the go.

I have lost a lot of respect for the ownership group and their handling of this. They need Lang to guide Paddock for at least a year. They have him over a barrel and they know it. They only have to pay him if they fire him but if he quits their off the hook.

They know if Lang quits they can use his salary to go out and hire an advisor. They know it's too late for him to find other work, so he pretty much has to stay on for at least this season. They have him over a barrel so they force him to be a mentor to Paddock.

Interesting times ahead!

Bighat
08-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Now I know why Lorne turned the job down, too much respect for a fellow hockey guy. Good stand up move by Lorne and another ordinary (Brandt) employee transaction, sorry I think after 26 years of season tickets in the same section this move has finally taken the cake, I will not renew next year. Don't they realize this is still junior hockey and the word will get around, how they treat 1st their coaches then their gm.

nivek_wahs
08-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Pats Press Release.....

For Immediate Release
August 5, 2014
Pats Announce Structure for the Future!

Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats Hockey Club is proud to announce the hiring of John Paddock as Head Coach and Senior Vice-President of Hockey Operations. The Pats are also happy to confirm Chad Lang continues in his role as Senior Vice-President involved in the hockey and business sides of the organization.

Paddock comes to the Queen City after five seasons with the Philadelphia Flyers as Assistant General Manager. Last season, he served as one of the Flyers’ assistant coaches as the team compiled a 42-30-10 record en route to a berth in the playoffs.

“I am very happy to be joining the Regina Pats,” commented John Paddock. “It’s an exciting time for the ownership group and myself as we join forces to build a model WHL franchise the people of Regina can get behind. It will be great to get started!”

Before his time with the Flyers, Paddock spent 21 seasons building extensive coaching experience with both NHL and AHL teams. The Oak River, MB native is a member of the AHL Hall of Fame (2010) and the third winningest coach in league history with a record of 589-438-98. He was named the AHL Coach of the Year for the 1987-88 season and is the only coach to lead three different franchises to Calder Cup Championships (Maine–1984, Hershey–1988, Hartford–2000). Paddock’s tenure includes head coaching in the NHL with the Winnipeg Jets (1991-94) and Ottawa Senators (2007-08).

“We are very excited to welcome John to the Pats family!” said Regina Pats Governor Anthony Marquart. “His extensive hockey experience in coaching and management is an asset as we work to build a solid foundation and develop our hockey club for future success. We went through an exhaustive search to find the right fit for our hockey club and in John we found exactly what we need.”

Prior to stepping behind the bench, Paddock played nine seasons of professional hockey in the AHL and NHL, winning two Calder Cups (Maine–1978, 1979). John played his junior hockey with the Brandon Wheat Kings from 1972-1974.

Paddock will be introduced at a media conference prior to the Pats’ 2014 Training Camp opening August 21st at the Cooperators Centre. The Blue and White play their first pre-season game August 28th at home to the Moose Jaw Warriors.

“Overall, this revised structure ensures a focus on sustained hockey development and commitment to winning while having in place a business operating model focused on an enhanced fan experience,” continued Marquart. “We are committed to bringing a Memorial Cup to Regina and the proper structure is the first step.”

“Under the ownership group we had the opportunity to discuss our organization's structure,” explained Chad Lang. “Recommendations were brought forward on both sides of the operation that will aid in the organization's short and long term goals. The organizational restructure allows me to focus my efforts to work alongside Todd Lumbard and the ownership group while remaining committed to assisting all staff on both sides of the organization.”

“Chad has been instrumental during this entire process. His knowledge of our league, recommendations and tireless efforts allowed us to bring on John Paddock and positioned our organization for future success. We are very pleased Chad continues in his role of Senior Vice-President as we move forward,” Marquart concluded.

Media requests for Regina Pats Head Coach and Senior VP of Hockey Operations John Paddock will be available through Daniel Fink, Director of Media and Communications. Regina Pats Governor Anthony Marquart will also be available to speak with the media at 1:00 p.m. outside the Pats dressing room at the Brandt Centre. Please confirm your attendance with Daniel Fink.

-30-

Shooter
08-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Looks like am entire engine-Pats rebuild and Lang shipped out or on strings right now. Sounds like some tension in the making but why not payout Lang and get the overhaul finalized right now.

This is hockey and players are usually a piece of meat and now evident that staff are as well.

Look forward in seeing Paddock running the PATS show in Regina.

Likely a scouting shuffle in the making as well from the previous outlook.

Go Pats GO

nivek_wahs
08-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Now I know why Lorne turned the job down, too much respect for a fellow hockey guy. Good stand up move by Lorne and another ordinary (Brandt) employee transaction, sorry I think after 26 years of season tickets in the same section this move has finally taken the cake, I will not renew next year. Don't they realize this is still junior hockey and the word will get around, how they treat 1st their coaches then their gm.sounds like they treated Chad Lang really pretty well to me.....

“Chad has been instrumental during this entire process. His knowledge of our league, recommendations and tireless efforts allowed us to bring on John Paddock and positioned our organization for future success. We are very pleased Chad continues in his role of Senior Vice-President as we move forward,” Marquart concluded.

Bighat
08-06-2014, 12:16 PM
Really. Let's take the gm role away and you help your replacement out for 1 year, then your done. Why not just do the stand up thing and fire him the same time as Cameron. Why cause they needed his experience for 1 yr to help the new guy take his job. Sounds like a stand up thing to do to me.

patsdude114
08-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Really. Let's take the gm role away and you help your replacement out for 1 year, then your done. Why not just do the stand up thing and fire him the same time as Cameron. Why cause they needed his experience for 1 yr to help the new guy take his job. Sounds like a stand up thing to do to me.

Lang still has the GM role not sure where you are getting your information from.......

Paddock is the Vice-President and the Head Coach

Now with that said once Lang's contract is expired I fully expect Paddock to take the GM role as well. Right now Paddock doesn't know jack crap about the WHL, he would get taken in every possible deal he would complete if he was the GM as well. He admits in the interview on Phil's blog he has a big learning curve.

nivek_wahs
08-06-2014, 01:46 PM

Ummmmm.....

Pats ownership group says GM Chad Lang has their full support. They say Paddock was brought to their attention by him.

Fight Guy
08-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Lang still has the GM role not sure where you are getting your information from.......

Paddock will have autonomy in hockey operations, reporting directly to president/part owner Todd Lumbard. Chad Lang has been asked to remain with the team as senior vice-president while relinquishing the GM title. His responsibilities will be split between the hockey and business sides, also working under Lumbard.

Paddock will be in charge of all hockey operations and will do what he wants, when he wants. He will supposedly have FULL control of the team. This includes the GM duties.

Lang will probably play more of a role on the business side of things, while just helping out Paddock on the hockey side. I'm guessing they'll be side by side for the first bit, then Lang will become more of a consultant. Don't forget, Lang is supposed to be working on the business side and should NEVER have been a GM, right?!....lol. Really though, he might be happy with the lighter load of responsibilities.

Thatshockey1965
08-06-2014, 02:13 PM
I would say that Chad Lang was treated much the same as allot of other people in his situation/job in hockey period. To work that position you are a hired gun. If you perform that means you get to keep your job for the next year, but that is not even a sure thing. Its a cut throat business no matter where you are. I think he has done a decent job but the fan support which is also a major part of his job has dropped consistently according to the WHL stats for the last 6 years. Yes due to a general losing team but that is part of a GM's responsibilities in getting butts in the seats and making it a fun atmosphere. If you go to say a Red Deer its a totally different atmosphere. Winning helps but to get fans out but the entertainment value is important as well.

Remember that trades define a team in general and mostly the GM. If you trade away draft picks you MAY improve yourself for that year but you also make it harder on the scouting staff to find players that are the diamonds in the rough so to speak. That in combination with players making decisions to move to NCAA out of the blue, you end up wasting draft picks. If you think Regina is a miserable place for hockey, try a Prince George, Swift Current, Kootenay, or Lethbridge, and I would lump in Saskatoon, and PA.

Yes the team need rebuilding but it takes a little time and not all the moves will work out but I think the Pats are going in the right direction. The biggest step may be still to come in hiring the assistants. I wrote before that a good mixture of old school coaches and younger coaches in my opinion is the way to go. It will be interesting to see who they hire and I believe is the real key.

Live for the future and not dwell in the past... ie last year. In my opinion the Pats should have gone future than they did, with possibly the best offensive top 4 guys in the league as a group. Stephenson, Klimchuk, Stevenson, and Leier. Goaltending aside in the playoffs they still probably would not have beat Brandon. Is that why the changes happened and a new direction. I'm not one to make that judgment, but I am betting so. refer to the Chad Lang job security Comment. Not much different than the head coach's

I would be giving the new ownership and management a chance.

Again my two cents.

patsdude114
08-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Paddock will be in charge of all hockey operations and will do what he wants, when he wants. He will supposedly have FULL control of the team. This includes the GM duties.

You are 100% correct fight guy I had a couple email exchanges with Phil this afternoon and he told me that Lang is there for any assistance Paddock may need with trades and such until he is more accustom to the league. Lang is staying on to run the business side and any other jobs Paddock may want him to do with the hockey side.

Bighat
08-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Pats dude hmmm maybe a oh sorry or never mind.

patsdude114
08-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Yes big hat you were right, I was misunderstanding some info in the press release and before I made any more comments (besides the one to you) I wanted to make sure which is why I had a couple emails with Phil on this topic and another one.

I don't think Lang should be fired by any means, the owners are doing the right thing by not firing him. Sure maybe his role is dialed back abit but he will still be hands on with the business side and I'm sure he will be assisting Paddock a lot in the early going.

My biggest concern with all this involving Paddock is how long is he actually going to be here for with all his professional experience........ Come next summer we could be doing this all over again as a long term contract means nothing in junior hockey as junior teams never stop a guy from advancing to pro hockey.

chopper
08-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Now I know why Lorne turned the job down, too much respect for a fellow hockey guy. Good stand up move by Lorne and another ordinary (Brandt) employee transaction, sorry I think after 26 years of season tickets in the same section this move has finally taken the cake, I will not renew next year. Don't they realize this is still junior hockey and the word will get around, how they treat 1st their coaches then their gm.

I agree with you that this mess has been handled poorly by ownership but ultimately they were going to do it anyway, either this year or next

-ownership knew they we hiring more than a coach when they went over his head and fired Cameron. They coould have terminated Lang at the same time.
- They didn't fire Lang because they would have had to pay him out
- They had someone to mentor Paddock on staff with nowhere to go
- it was too late for Lang to find anything good
- They had him over a barrel and he knew it, and they knew it.

He is saying the right things but you know he's seething inside. He was gutted. There is little he can do at this point. Anyone who thinks he has been treated well just doesn't get it.

With regards to renewing or not as I say they were going to do this anyway. A wise man controls what he can and learns to accept what he can't. Going forward there is some young and exciting talent coming on stream. Let's see what Paddock can deliver.

The crap we have witnessed recently has happened before and will again. It is disappointing in that we just went through nearly two decades of the Parkers doing this, and most fans were hoping for better. The optics don't suggest that has happened. Now it's time to see what our team will look like.

Like I said; I can't control what they do and neither can you, but I will be anxious to see what they put on the ice and what Paddock can do with what he has. Sam Steel should be a treat to watch develop and it's something one shouldn't miss.

witness
08-07-2014, 03:37 PM
I agree with Chopper.
The past is the past, and there is nothing we can do about it now.

The big factor for me is how will Paddock and Company develop the young guys. Quite frankly, I didn't see a huge development of the young guys last year. Granted, some of that was limited by talent, but, with Steel, a talent cap is not an excuse.

Let see how this coaching staff handles Steel, kroeker, Smith, Richards, Wagner, Zimmer, Reagan, Kallis, friedrich, Pouteau and hopefully Schioler.

This team, on paper, is too old for a rebuilding team. There are 7 - 19 year olds. If the team is truly rebuilding they will want to trim that number to 4 or 5.

There will be some changes and some quality ice team for the young guys. How will they progress??

patsdude114
08-07-2014, 04:34 PM
I agree with Chopper.
The past is the past, and there is nothing we can do about it now.

The big factor for me is how will Paddock and Company develop the young guys. Quite frankly, I didn't see a huge development of the young guys last year. Granted, some of that was limited by talent, but, with Steel, a talent cap is not an excuse.

Let see how this coaching staff handles Steel, kroeker, Smith, Richards, Wagner, Zimmer, Reagan, Kallis, friedrich, Pouteau and hopefully Schioler.

In a perfect rebuild world we would have every guy you just listed on the team this year but we all know that will not happen. The guys I want to see on the team forsure this season from that list are....
Steel
Kroeker
Smith
Wagner
Zimmer
Reagan
Schioler (if he signs)
Pouteau (if Schioler doesn't sign)
Kallis (most definitely over Mumby)

I do feel that Wagner & Reagan did develop a lot last season, Reagan had a set back when he came down with mono and missed about a month and a bit of action and lost a lot of weight that kept him out of the lineup longer. Wagner developed a lot I feel he started off as a guy who didn't want the puck much at all and just chipped it in and chased it down to crash and bang, as the season progressed he wanted to carry the puck more but still worked his tail off with his chip and chase game. Wagner is a big body that moves well and could turn into a dominate Power Forward if he keeps progressing like he has. As for Zimmer I really didn't see much improvement at all not saying he didn't improve just its not that noticeable. I don't think Zimmer will ever be anything more then what Trent Ouellette was, a defensive 3rd line center who excels on the PK.

I really hope Kroeker can step in and excel, he has the size and the skill set to take on a quality role as a 17yr old. I feel his role will be bigger then what Brooks role last year was as a 17yr old. Kallis I feel needs to be on this team if he is committed to the WHL at all, there is no way Mumby makes this team over Kallis.

Does having Paddock as the Head Coach now change any of the parents thinking for their kid to come thru our organization now? Guys like Schioler & Koberstein where there have been reports they want to go the NCAA route is there a change of heart now maybe with a coach who has 30 yrs of pro coaching experience.

I agree that we got to trim at least 3-19yr olds for this coming season.... guys like Hansen & Williams should be on the trade block to either get a younger prospect (if its possible) or to just free up ice time for the younger players. I still believe Klimchuk will be traded and I do think it will be before the World Junior's even though there may not be a big bidding war on him before that but our franchise is in no state to risk him getting a long term injury at the WJs if he makes it.

Bighat
08-07-2014, 07:55 PM
Chopper good comments maybe I should wait till next year before I decide to cancel my tickets. Is paddock a free wheeling coach or defensive, I can't remember his style in winnipeg. He did have selanne.

patsdude114
08-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Chopper good comments maybe I should wait till next year before I decide to cancel my tickets. Is paddock a free wheeling coach or defensive, I can't remember his style in winnipeg. He did have selanne.

oh Phil's blog he has an interview with Paddock and Paddock said he has been adapting to todays game more and more and likes a puck possession game.... so maybe with some luck it wont be much different then Cameron's style

crashnbang
08-07-2014, 10:08 PM
I like the choice of Paddock, now if Cassan becomes an assistant then I really like the looks of the coaching staff going forward. As for this years roster, let's hope for some change, excitment and develop some young players, don't just bring 16 year olds along for the ride. Steel is obviously in and will see ice time but there is a strong group of 17 year olds as well - 3 of which rode the pine last year and basically would have been better in AAA Midget. I really hope Brooks shows up ready to play this year otherwise he could be gone by December, I think Hunt is destined for a great year and hope he can remain healthy. I look for some new faces in the top 6 forwards with Steel being one of them and RykrCole having an outside chance at top 6 as well, his defensive game is even better than his offensive game and we will need someone like that. Unfortunately with so many strong 17 year olds, someone will be shipped down the road in my opinion. I like big hockey players and yes I would take them over a smaller guy when they are fairly equal, but we can't take big guys just for the sake of being big - skating in this league is too important. Let's face it, although we were top in the East last year, it had more to do with a very weak division and the very good first line we had. That won't be the case this year and I think Brandon's core of 17 and 18 year olds will easily outplay our 19 and 20 year olds and will be very tough to beat.

chopper
08-07-2014, 10:08 PM
This is our team and we have to be hopeful that the right decisions have been made. Paddock does have a ton of actually pretty successful coaching behind him. Not many guys win three AHL championships, and get into the AHL Hockey Hall Of Fame. He hinted that he likes puck possession.

He also said you can't play without the puck so he will be aggressive at retrieval (forecheck). He talk about shoulder to shoulder and standing up for team mates. I think that we will see an exciting brand of hockey but I'm betting we're a much tougher team.

I think we have to throw our support behind this man, and hopefully he can build on what Cameron started. I'm already getting a bit excited about the team. We will have a in my mind a big, young team that may surprise some people.

patsdude114
08-07-2014, 11:26 PM
Also chopper don't forget to mention that his 3 Calder Cups have Ben with 3 different teams if I recall hearing correctly he's the only coach ever to do that in the AHL (but don't quote me on that last part, I may of misheard)

I'm very excited for training camp to get under way now that we finally have a coach. Once we got the assistants named I'm sure that will just grow to get to training camp.

I found the interview today on Phil's blog with Marquart to be very interesting. The way they are structuring things it won't surprise me one bit if by the time the season starts if Lang gets a contract extension for his business side of things. The new owners really seem to value Lang's talents and being all businessmen first I think a contract extension will be offered.

Shooter
08-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Just wondering who is up for the assistant coaching positions as timing might be a factor right now?

I assume John will have a right hand man that he will bring in for sure and likely part of the package offer in some way or form.

There is a lot of hockey capacity in Regina of course but lets not forgot that hockey is played on the ice and coaches are part of the retooling etc.

Could be lots of trades in the making!

go RIDERS

patsdude114
08-08-2014, 05:35 PM
On Phil's blog Paddock did say he may have someone in mind to join him, not sure who that may be but he also said is more then comfortable going forward with guys Lang and Co. have already interviewed as well (after he talks with them first of course)

Assistant coaches are much easier to find then Head Coaches plus there are reports that Darren McKechnie has already signed as one of the assistant coaches. So far its just a report/rumour with nothing else to go on besides a twitter report by Darren Millard

RWAH
08-08-2014, 08:04 PM
IMO we need at the minimum of one of the assistants with WHL experience. John Paddock says hockey is hockey and he does have lots of experience coaching and developing the 20 to 25 age group in the AHL. but those are professionals that don't have school in the way. As already posted he will have a sharp learning curve and a junior team cycles every 4 years. I do believe his teams will be puck possession, aggressive fore check and play with an edge and he has the control to assure we get the players that can play that game. Can't wait for camp.

sbtatter
08-08-2014, 10:11 PM
I think Paddock's a good hire, great hockey mind, lots of experience, give him half a year to figure out the league and his players and he'll be flying

patsdude114
08-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I agree with sbtatter that Paddock will have this team flying much sooner then most may suspect.

I also agree with Paddock when he says hockey is hockey it don't matter what level your coaching. Infact junior will be easier to coach just due to the fact he is not losing his star players on a regular basis to the NHL due to injuries. Just like Cameron said last year that he knows what his roster is at all times and doesn't have to fill in holes from weekly call ups.

Paddock is going to get the most out of his players at this age level just like Cameron did which IMO shows what a good coach really is, I mean no one even predicted for our Pats to be in the playoff hunt let alone contend and win the division last season. Now by no means am I expecting Paddock to do that this year mainly due to the fact Brandon IMO has that in lock down for the next 2-3 yrs. Yea Cameron took advantage of a weak division last season but with that said he had a good record against the weakest teams in the leagues which ultimately got the pennant due to SC faulting in that area.

Anyways it's another new era with another new coaching staff 3 staffs in 3 years which is not the formula for success but hopefully with Paddock now we can start building in the right direction and have a coaching staff intact for 3+ yrs

RWAH
08-09-2014, 09:24 PM
I am not in disagreement that Paddock is a great hire and I think he will steer the team in the right direction, but IMO it is different coaching a 21 year old professional player and a 16 year old high school student. I disagree that we do not need experienced assistant coaches. To hire a couple of guy that coach Midget house or single "A" might save the budget but will not develop players or team. The better the help Paddock can get the easier the learning curve becomes
I harking back to Ron Lancasters first foray into coaching and the riders hired a hospital administrator as the GM and all the assistant coaches combined had 1 year CFL experience and we can all remember the 2 and 14 seasons.
I know this is dissimilar (football and hockey)(experienced coach and a rooky) but the point is it takes a full team of players understanding and doing their jobs. It takes a full team of coaches and management to understand and do their jobs. I think we have seen years of management not making the trades when they should have, and hire inexperienced coaches and the result has been 18 years of mediocrity (spelling.).
To close I am very positive for the coming season, the separation of hockey operation and management should improve both. and again Paddock appears to be a great hire, but as has been posted "show me"

patsdude114
08-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Unless I'm missing something I don't recall anyone saying we do not need any experienced assistant coaches......

I think there is too much put into Paddock not having any experience dealing with junior age kids compared to pro players. It's always easier to deal with someone else's kid the your own. I personally think is a non issue as these kids are here to play hockey and go to school they know what's expected of them. You treat them like adults they tend to respond in the correct manner.

RWAH
08-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Here is a link to "The "Hockey Writers" article on the new head coaches the WHL. http://thehockeywriters.com/whl-handbook-getting-to-know-10-new-head-coaches/

patsdude114
08-12-2014, 10:44 PM
Very good read especially reading up on our teams write up.

Bepoleon
08-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Greg Drinnan is reporting that a "source" is 99.5% sure Struch will be named an associate coach. 4 year deal.

Bepoleon
08-13-2014, 01:10 AM
http://gdrinnan.blogspot.ca/2014/08/struch-on-way-to-pats-warriors-lose-d.html?m=1

patsdude114
08-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Very odd to see a 4yr deal for an assistant coach but I don't mind that when it involves Sturch as he is a gy who can take over for Paddock as I'm fully anticipating that Paddock will only be here 2 yrs tops before he moves back into pro.

As for the Warrior thing they were really banking in him helping their blue line out this season but I guess if you never had him in the lineup he isn't a loss to begin with.

Thatshockey1965
08-13-2014, 10:57 AM
Official... Now for assistant coach number 2. Thoughts? Rumours? Facts?

Crofter
08-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Very odd to see a 4yr deal for an assistant coach but I don't mind that when it involves Sturch as he is a gy who can take over for Paddock as I'm fully anticipating that Paddock will only be here 2 yrs tops before he moves back into pro.

I don't know the individuals involved but on paper this is a good move. This shows the Pats brass have a clear idea of how their organization looks, and a clear road map for how it will look a few years from now. That is pretty much ideal from professionalism standpoint, and many good organizations never reach that level of maturity. Stability is good.

Also given that Sturch is an experienced head coach, I'm assuming he commands a decent salary. Good to see the Pats making an investment like that. I'm very interested in the upcoming season.

patsdude114
08-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Well now that it's officially a done deal I am very pleased to see Sturch added to our coaching staff. I do believe he will become out head coach in no more then 2 years that is if he doesn't get a head coaching position after one year some place else.

Now I would like to see Cassen added into the coaching staff and we can finally get into training camp.

chopper
08-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Struch is a solid hire but they still need to fill one spot. Possibly that will be a guy that Paddock keeps referring to. I think a guy like Cassan would still be a great option. You can never have too many winners on a team. Hopefully they firm that up soon.

I note that MJ just picked up 20 year old in Yakibowski. With Rodewald, Eberle, and Cook as the others they will have a tough decision to make. It's beginning to look like Cook might be the odd man out. We are way behind in making deals as opposed to other years.

I imagine Lang, Struch and Paddock will need to sit down and go over trades that were no doubt put on hold. Like Lang said at the end of last season we need upgrades in some areas. Now that Paddock will be on the ground there may be a flurry of moves.

RWAH
08-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Rummor ( I don't know how I heard) Cassen withdrew so I expect to see the guy that Poddock was mentioning.

Bepoleon
08-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Bringing Struch in as an associate takes the sting away a little bit, of letting Malcolm go. With Pannock and Struch behind the bench, i think were building a team for success now and years to come. When Pannock leaves we have Struch to take over. Bet the owners told him the same which is why he signed on.

Thought it was strange that yesterday, the Saskatoon paper was reporting that Struch lost out on the head coach job, but when speaking to him, he was praising the pats and the direction their going... I should've known better lol.

I dont who the other coach is gonna be but prolly one of Pannocks guys.

Bepoleon
08-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Also, I hope they keep Lang after his contract over, even if it's in a smaller role. The passion for this sport and love of this city is undeniable.

chopper
08-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Here is a link to "The "Hockey Writers" article on the new head coaches the WHL. http://thehockeywriters.com/whl-handbook-getting-to-know-10-new-head-coaches/

It was interesting to read. A lot of the job losses seemed to be attributed to poor playoff showings, and in Hiller's case a less than impressive regular season. The comments about Regina were less than complimentary but I would say fairly accurate.

Paddock and Struch appears to give us a very good 1-2 punch. Depending on who is added, our weakness shouldn't be coaching. The East div is known for it's toughness and I think MJ is serving notice with the acquisition of Yakabowski they plan to play tough.

If MJ should keep Eberle and Cook, along with Yakabowski they won't have any shortage of grit in their lineup. I don't think they can afford to lose Rodewald's 30+ goals though. Losing Dyson Stevenson creates a huge hole for us both offensively and a tough guy.

Paddock is an old Philly style coach who I'm sure won't let our young guys be pushed around. Like I said earlier both he and Lang will likely be pretty busy adding all the pieces he wants in place. This tumultuous off season put us at a bit of a disadvantage re; trades.

RWAH
08-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Just for clarity: The Regina Pats web site reports that Dave Struch is an assistant coach NOT an associate coach

Crofter
08-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Just for clarity: The Regina Pats web site reports that Dave Struch is an assistant coach NOT an associate coach

Assistant to the Coach, for you fans of The Office.

patsdude114
08-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Assistant to the Coach, for you fans of The Office.

Just so you know there is a difference between an assistant coach & an associate coach.... just slightly different roles basically, one is more hands on in every day to day operations then the other

Bepoleon
08-14-2014, 09:07 PM
My bad. Just assumed it was an associate positon because he was close to getting the head coach job.

Its hard for me to read anything without pictures :p

patsdude114
08-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Its hard for me to read anything without pictures :p

Hahaha I love that I should use that sometime myself

patsdude114
08-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Well training camp is 3 days away now with only one assistant coach hired at the moment. I'm starting to wonder if maybe they will just announce the 3rd coach at the same time when they have the press conference with Paddock and Struch which from my understanding is just before training camp opens on Thursday.

Any leaked info from anyone on who it may be?

RWAH
08-18-2014, 02:27 PM
here is my 2 cents:
they will go the year with only 1 full time and one part time assistant (Darren McKech???) other option is the coach Paddock was mentioning. Either way it will be announced at the head coaches introduction at the start of camp.
Three days to go and they have not posted a camp schedule: seems to me they are behind time and not catching up and that might be to many cooks at the top.

patsdude114
08-18-2014, 03:53 PM
This evening I'm going to email Phil &/or Daniel Fink and see if they could forward a roster sheet again like last year. If they do I will provide a link for you guys to get it as well as it took the Pats brass until the 2nd day of main camp to provide these lists for the public

RWAH
08-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Spoke to the Pat front office and a camp schedule should be on the web tonight or tomorrow: A roster link would be great

nivek_wahs
08-18-2014, 05:23 PM
This evening I'm going to email Phil &/or Daniel Fink and see if they could forward a roster sheet again like last year. If they do I will provide a link for you guys to get it as well as it took the Pats brass until the 2nd day of main camp to provide these lists for the publicThey were handing them out during the very first session last year.

patsdude114
08-18-2014, 06:41 PM
I definitely do not remember them being out on the first day but maybe my mind is just getting too old and it was the year before where we didn't get the rosters on paper til day 2

either way hope we do get something again as it is very nice to actually see who is who out there....maybe the new owners will be too cheap to print this info off for us die hards

Also Phil had replied back with saying its not his department (which I kind of knew already) but said if he got anything sent to him he would pass it along for us on here

RWAH
08-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Here is a link to Kelly Frizen's "buzzing the net" and his piece on Sam Steel
Hope this works https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/regina-pats-sam-steel-never-felt-better-injury-142748650.html#more-34684

RWAH
08-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Another feed to Alan Calder's Small thoughts and a look at the 20 year olds on all 22 teams http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/

Bepoleon
08-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Darrin McKechnie rounds out the coaching staff as a part-time assistant coach.

Bepoleon
08-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Another feed to Alan Calder's Small thoughts and a look at the 20 year olds on all 22 teams http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/

I think maybe we should start chatting with Seattle. Some quality 20 year olds up for grabs.

Fight Guy
08-19-2014, 09:47 AM
It's official... Darrin McKechnie second assistant...

http://reginapats.com/article/pats-complete-coaching-staff-with-darrin-mckechnie

RWAH
08-19-2014, 10:23 AM
I think maybe we should start chatting with Seattle. Some quality 20 year olds up for grabs.

IMO PA as well has a derth of 20s and could be an upgrade for the Pats

patsdude114
08-19-2014, 11:08 AM

IMO PA as well has a derth of 20s and could be an upgrade for the Pats

I agree with both comments... in a perfect world (IMO) go trade for 2 guys, 1 from each team....

From SEATTLE
Evan Wardley 6'4 208
http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/8239

From PA
Carson Perreaux 6'3 194
http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/9008

Would address some much needed size upfront and on the backend and improve our 20yr old situation. I would then be leaning towards a guy like Christoffer to fill the final 20yr old spot, I'm not much of a fan of McVeigh and D'Amico just doesn't have the finish although I do really like his game just not above Christoffer's

chopper
08-19-2014, 04:13 PM
It's official... Darrin McKechnie second assistant...

http://reginapats.com/article/pats-complete-coaching-staff-with-darrin-mckechnie

Darrin is a good enough guy but he is only a part-time coach and I personally don't like that concept. If they are trying to build a professional type organization then part-time coaches shouldn't be in the equation. Other Regina Police members have filled the role of part-time coaches with only mixed results. McKechnie is at least four years from retirement and I don't think you can be a part-timer for that long. He could have come on as a skills coach etc and they should have hired another competent assistant. With this move it makes a person really wonder if the coaching has been upgraded over last season!!!

patsdude114
08-19-2014, 04:40 PM
I also have mixed feelings about a part time coach, I agree that a skills coach may of been a better name for his involvement. But with that said maybe they were thinking along the lines of they have 2 Head Coaches anyways with Paddock and Struch and any additional help from the outside is just going to help improve things more.

I know for instance when Conacher was the Head Coach as far as practices went he was rarely ever on the ice running them, it was always Cameron and Dixon. I know this cause I had attended countless practices over the last 3 or 4 years, Conacher usually sat up in the stands on the southeast side.

There is a possibility that just there wasn't enough quality guys in line for this job due to how late it took the Pats to hire the Head Coach, maybe things change after a few mid season firings in the hockey world or at least in the next offseason. As long as everyone is on the same page I don't see a huge problem here with Paddock's professional experience and Struch's experience as a long time assistant coach in the league as well as a season as the Head Coach. Im sure Paddock will be leaning on both Struch and Lang in the early going until he starts to get familiar with the league and its players.

RWAH
08-20-2014, 09:28 AM
It will make for much different road trips. usually one assistant looks after the hotels and meals and the other the schedule and ice times. Neither Paddock or Strouch did that last season and Paddock not for a couple decades. They may need to share that work out to the radio broadcast guy (phill) or the equipment staff, trainer or travel with a facilitator. However it is handled the two full time coaches will find it a change from last year.

Sttop
08-20-2014, 03:07 PM
I agree with both comments... in a perfect world (IMO) go trade for 2 guys, 1 from each team....

From SEATTLE
Evan Wardley 6'4 208
http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/8239

From PA
Carson Perreaux 6'3 194
http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/9008

Would address some much needed size upfront and on the backend and improve our 20yr old situation. I would then be leaning towards a guy like Christoffer to fill the final 20yr old spot, I'm not much of a fan of McVeigh and D'Amico just doesn't have the finish although I do really like his game just not above Christoffer's
Perreaux could be had for free I would imagine . If the Pats were looking for a decent 20 I would think Hart or Conroy would do.

patsdude114
08-20-2014, 11:27 PM
If Conroy is available for trade I would think a team like SC, PORT or EDM this is just from what I see on another blog of all teams 20yr old situations. Although I don't really see PA giving away Conroy as I do think PA will be on the thick of things come the end of the year.