PDA

View Full Version : WHL rivalries

WHEATMAN
07-28-2005, 05:00 PM
fans of the WHL, what do you think are the biggest rivalries involving your team?

I think the wheaties biggest rivals are: Prince Albert, playing the same team 4 times in the last 10 years in the playoffs says somthing, especially considering 3 of those were confrence finals

and another rival of the wheaties is Red Deer, the rivalry has died alot but the two times we played them and lost in the confrence finals was sure heated, there were alot of great players in those two series (ie. Phaneuf, Germyn, Fraser, Gordon, Tootoo, Craig, Konsorada, Monych, Stepp, Ward, McVicar, Fehr, Stone) those series were loaded with talent

what rivalries does your club have?

Beaner
07-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Vancouver's Top 3 Rivalries, IMO,

Kelowna
Everett
Kamloops.

The kelowna series this year should be fantastic.

jaffner87
07-28-2005, 11:54 PM
for Calgary, our biggest rival is obviously Red Deer. Oh man, is it good hockey. :)

Scout
07-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Ours would be Medicine Hat the most. Not only do the players get into it but so do the fans. Alot travel to each others arena's. When Hat fans come to Swift, fire alarms are pulled, fights in the stands, etc. Usually extra security is brought in and R.C.M.P. have a good sized presence.

Scout

Chipper
07-29-2005, 08:59 AM
The Ice have had great rivals in the Central with Calgary and Red Deer especialy, but if we would play Kelowna and Kamloops more I know that there would be a huge rivalry I just can't see a really good rival when you only play 3 or 4 times a year. The Chiefs are also a close rival but diferent division. I guess we will have to be a rival to every team until we can play more games in our own division again probably next season. :confused:

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-29-2005, 09:16 AM
For Saskatoon I think the Rivalres are Prince Albert,Brandon,and Regina When The Blades Play these 3 teams it is always exciting hockey.

Stay-Puft
07-29-2005, 09:33 AM
For the Americans, Spokane is by far the biggest rivalry. The rivalry is really between the two cities, be it football, baseball, basketball, whatever, because of all the high school state tournaments and general distaste for each other. Now you have the Americans/Chiefs as well as Class A baseball between the Dust Devils (TC)/Indians (Spo).

Side note: With that said, thanks again to the Spokane ownership for helping to keep the rivalry intact.

Tipped Off
07-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Tough choice between Seattle and Portland, but anytime you have a team less than 30 minutes away (Seattle) I guess you'd have to give them the nod. Vancouver, because of the following they get when they come to our building, would also make the top 3 list.

Jimmypop316
07-29-2005, 07:51 PM
I'd normally say Tri-Cities but ever since the 03-04 year Portland and Spokane sure have some heated battles. So for now Portland, but theres always tri-cities just because they are the all time Spokane rival.

HAF
07-30-2005, 03:45 AM
I'd definately agree that Spoke is the Am's biggest rival. However, the last few years things have sure heated up with Portland as well.

Stay-Puft
07-30-2005, 09:17 AM
I think that portland has heated it up with every US division team the last couple of years.

amisk
07-31-2005, 11:30 PM
I can hardly wait!!! Rah, Rah, Rah, Beat em up!! :groovy: :burningma :groovy:

The_Vulk
08-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Currently, the Calgary Hitmen's main rivalry is with the Red Deer Rebels.

But I miss those battles with the Kootenay Ice.

Tiger Trauma
08-02-2005, 12:41 PM
The Tigers Main Rivalries over the last two years

Swift: Always a tight agrresive hard working hockey game...fans always go nuts

Lethbridge: Just started to reheat last year with all the fisticuffs+ we play them like 8-10 times every year

Red Deer: cause we've knocked them out of the playoffs the last two years

Kelowna: Even though there a bit further away...they won the memorial cup when we were there..and one of their players made an "interesting" comment about our tradition...+our mask was stolen...yadda yadda yadda

could also make cases for Calgary and possibly Prince Albert(for beating us last year in playoffs)

WHEATMAN
08-02-2005, 08:25 PM
what is the tradition?

caps05
08-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Didn't Portland and Seattle have a very heated rivalry back a few years? It seems to have cooled off significantly recently, but I remember looking at some box scores a few years ago and seeing some high PIM games with lots of fights and misconducts between the Birds and the Hawks.

Flathead
08-02-2005, 10:49 PM
what is the tradition?

Mabye it's make the playoffs for a few years, then skip them for five???

HAF
08-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Didn't Portland and Seattle have a very heated rivalry back a few years? It seems to have cooled off significantly recently, but I remember looking at some box scores a few years ago and seeing some high PIM games with lots of fights and misconducts between the Birds and the Hawks.

Yeah, They still have one of the hottest rivalries going. The old I5 rivalry as its called.

Sput
08-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Up here the biggest would have to be Kamloops and Kelowna. They tend to draw the larger crowds, and the teams seem to get into it more. It never helped when you had a PG boy playing in Kamloops (Brown) and a fromer PG goalie playing in Kelowna (Swanson)

LifelongChiefsFan
08-04-2005, 07:20 PM
I agree that Chiefs/Ams is definitely number one, but the Chiefs always play very spirited games against Kootenay. Kootenay games generally draw well, too.