PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp 2014

Wapitikev
08-14-2014, 04:46 PM
The Training Camp schedule is up on the Raiders website.

First practice for Rookies is @ 7:00pm on Friday evening.

Glad they decided to still have a rookie camp this year.

7 days until camp!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Interested to see Brandon Griffiths at camp this fall.

Last year as a 15yo he was 5'11" and weighed 179 lbs.

This fall he apparently is 6'1" and 205 lbs.

He began the season with the Regina Vics in Minor Midget but, after Jan 1, was down with the Regina Midget Tier 2 Buffalos for whom he played 6 games and had 4 points and 21 PIMs as well as 2 playoff games with 1 pt and 4 PIMs...not exactly and upward progression. Size is good but not enough improvement in stats to make Paivarenta nervous going into camp.

Guess we'll see how he does on the weekend.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-21-2014, 01:41 AM
So, with Shane Danyluk being Waived, we are down to 4 possible 20yo forwards and we need to get down to 2.

It will be interesting to see who the lucky winners are...but keep these stats in mind:

Conroy, Hart and Perreaux all slumped badly in the 30 games after Dec 1, last season.

Conroy's production fell by 22% from his first 24 games. Hart's production was down 28% over those same 30 games and Perreaux's dropped by 54%.

On the other hand, Brooks performed at pretty much the same point/game pace, all season.

The team went through a similar slump in 2012/13 in the 30 games after Xmas, but that year Perreaux and Hart were the only Raiders (other than Leon) to actually improve after January 1st.

Conroy had a bad stretch from January 1st onward in 2013 as he did in 2014...but he is our 1st line right winger, regardless of his past consistency issues.

Here's hoping that whomever wins the 2 20yo forward slots that they don't take a nap for an extended period in the second half, this coming winter.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Unfortunately I missed all the team Green practice and only saw about 1/2 the team Gold practice due to a prior supper commitment that went long (and the fact that Gold practice ended 15 minutes ahead of schedule).

Tim and Dave ran things (while I was there) and Kelly was also on the ice.

I saw some skill there...some players looked better than others in the drills. There is definitely a wide range in size between some of the rookies, which is natural when there are 7 15 year olds skating with 16 and 17yos.

Thanks to PANow for putting up the rookie camp roster (http://panow.com/node/468753) for us fans.

Truly looking forward to the first scrimmage tomorrow @ 10:00am.

-Wapitikev

Raiderfan8
08-23-2014, 05:28 PM
So, with Shane Danyluk being Waived, we are down to 4 possible 20yo forwards and we need to get down to 2.

It will be interesting to see who the lucky winners are...but keep these stats in mind:

Conroy, Hart and Perreaux all slumped badly in the 30 games after Dec 1, last season.

Conroy's production fell by 22% from his first 24 games. Hart's production was down 28% over those same 30 games and Perreaux's dropped by 54%.

On the other hand, Brooks performed at pretty much the same point/game pace, all season.

The team went through a similar slump in 2012/13 in the 30 games after Xmas, but that year Perreaux and Hart were the only Raiders (other than Leon) to actually improve after January 1st.

Conroy had a bad stretch from January 1st onward in 2013 as he did in 2014...but he is our 1st line right winger, regardless of his past consistency issues.

Here's hoping that whomever wins the 2 20yo forward slots that they don't take a nap for an extended period in the second half, this coming winter.

-Wapitikev

Perreaux is not returning FYI. So we are down to 3 Forwards and 1 D-man

sbtatter
08-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Perreaux is not returning FYI. So we are down to 3 Forwards and 1 D-man

Where is Perreaux going?

Raiderfan8
08-23-2014, 07:43 PM
He hasn't decided. I would assume the MJHL .

Wapitikev
08-23-2014, 08:42 PM
Perreaux is not returning FYI. So we are down to 3 Forwards and 1 D-manBased on the report that he was talking JHL with Bruno, I strongly suspected that was the case but didn't want to exclude him until something official was released in the media or by the team.

Good to know more details...tho.

The strongest 20yos will still be at camp, although I'm still a die-hard Shane Danyluk fan. Since I've talked about some of the 20yos point production in games 1-28, 29-58 and 59-73 (inc tie-break), here's Shane's breakdown: 0.222, 0.300, 0.467. That's a pretty steady improvement. If Shane picked up this season where he left off last year, he'd be a great addition to any CHL team that is shy a 20yo.

By way of comparison, Calder Brooks was 0.417 as a Raider (36 games after the trade).

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Well, two scrimmages are in the books and some talent is beginning to show.

Ian Scott is playing to expectations. After a game and a half, he has only given up 3 goals and he played pretty well tonight.

A nice (albeit small) surprise among the 15yos is Trey Fix-Wolanski...tons of speed and good hands, this 5'5" dynamo from Edmonton has a load of talent and the confidence to throw checks at guys that are a head taller than he is. He scored the first goal of the camp for team Gold; roof-daddy, top right.

Josh Mazer looks decent, and his brother Tyler looked ok as well, but I don't recall seeing Tyler in tonight's game...one of the rink staff mentioned that there was an injury this am but couldn't remember who it was, so I hope they are ok.

Moden, Chekay, Kelly and Daniels-Webb all had good moments as well.

Maser is signed, so he will likely make it through to main camp, but of all the 15yo forwards, Fix is looking most ready for main camp...hope he doesn't get too bruised on Monday.

On the Blueline, there are some big kids! Thompson and Prefontaine are both 6'3", Millar is 6'2" and Hayes is 6'1" & 201 lbs. Heidt and Crossley are the two smallest @ 5'11". None of them seem to lumber out there and all of them seem to be decent...no obvious standouts, though.

Thompson is signed so he will likely make it through to main camp.

Here are the 2014 stats on the 15yos.
Name - Height -Weight - Gms - Pts - PIM

Defense
Adam Millar 6.2 165 17 8 16
Ashton Heidt 5.11 157 23 16 48 6th round
Austin Crossley 5.11 174 4 2 0
Cody Thompson 6.3 185 29 19 44 3rd round
Tyler Prefontaine 6.3 165 26 20 38 5th round
Zach Hayes 6.1 201 27 5 20

Forwards
Chris Monden 5.9 192 30 38 41
Josh Maser 5.5 141 31 60 69 4th round
Keevan Daniels-Webb 6.5 172 27 24 91 10th round
Kolten Kanaski 5.11 154 32 23 96
Marco Mazza 5.9 137 30 29 8
Matthew Chekay 5.9 165 30 64 102
Parker Kelly 5.7 141 31 58 38 7th round
Trey Fix-Wolansky
Tyler Maser 6 170 61 100 83

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-24-2014, 12:56 AM
Moving to the players eligible to play more than 3 games in the WHL this season, we find that there are more than enough camp standouts to move up to the main camp.

There are no 18yos at rookie camp.

Forwards:
Simon Stransky is at camp. He has good speed and hands, makes a decent pass and scored the first goal for team Green this am. Nothing in the class of Draisaitl, though. May have a tough time cracking the top 6 at main camp based on what he's shown us so far.

Dylan Stewart is looking very talented this fall...big, very fast (has to slow down for his linemates), very soft hands, good passer, accurate shot close in (that he is not using enough, btw). Looks to be the most skilled player at rookie camp...definitely out to prove that he belongs on the Raiders this fall. Think mike Winther (when he was good) but big eough to carry the puck into the zone at the WHL level. His stats say 6', 170 but he plays taller and bigger than that.

Reed Gunville, Sean Montgomery, Luke Coleman (who looks like he developed a bit of a nasty/agitator streak since camp last year), Michael Clarke, Dylan Williamson and Caleb Seaman are all having a solid camp.

There may be another spot or two available at camp for standouts in tomorrow's final game.

Here are the 2014 stats on the 16 and 17yos not profiled previously in the off-season thread.

Andrew Strelezki 5.11 160 40 53 24
Brody Madarash 5.8 141 3 0 1
Dane Derewianchuk 5.8 170 31 14 6
Keegan Tiringer N/A N/A 4 0 2
Kieran Brunetti 5.11 172 28 9 46
Reed Gunville 5.10 150 42 24 66
Tyler Heidt N/A N/A 2 0 0

Defense:
Brennan Riddle is big (6'2") and has a heavy accurate shot, blocks shots, defends well, but can be a bit off when hurrying passes.

Chase Daniels, the Minto's Brody Reimer, John Stampohar, Michael Main (who is gigantic @ 6'4") should make it to main camp.

Brandon Griffiths and Curtis Roach need good outings tomorrow to make it to main camp.

Cody Paivarenta is signed, so he will make it to camp but he looks to still need more foot-speed and better passing to compare to the other rookies he is competing against.

2014 stats on the 16 and 17yos not profiled previously in the off-season thread.

Brody Reimer 5.11 161 44 14 26
Chase Daniels 6.1 154 42 7 35
Cole De Jong 6.0 181 41 7 26
Curtis Roach 5.11 201 44 28 44
Michael Main 6.4 190 36 12 109

-Wapitikev

Raiderfan8
08-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Rookie camp was good to watch. Players that stood out were Dylan Stewart, Luke Coleman, Dillon Williamson and Trey Fix-Wolansky for forwards. D men were all decent and big. I think Brennan Riddle and Cody Panviarita (spelling) will be the young guys to stay. Cody Thompson will get some pre season games in as a 15 year old.

Be interesting to see what other young guys made an impression to stay. I would assume Sean Mongomery , Josh Maser , Cole Booth will get an extended stay with a few exhibition games.

Was really happy with Ian Scott in goal. Kids gonna be a star for years to come.

Wapitikev
08-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Rookie camp was good to watch. Players that stood out were Dylan Stewart, Luke Coleman, Dillon Williamson and Trey Fix-Wolansky for forwards. D men were all decent and big. I think Brennan Riddle and Cody Panviarita (spelling) will be the young guys to stay. Cody Thompson will get some pre season games in as a 15 year old.

Be interesting to see what other young guys made an impression to stay. I would assume Sean Mongomery , Josh Maser , Cole Booth will get an extended stay with a few exhibition games.

Was really happy with Ian Scott in goal. Kids gonna be a star for years to come.Agree, he is very solid positionally and looks to be a very good pick. We'll see him at main camp. Still needs to work on judging/reacting when the puck moves across the front of the net on the pass, in order to be ready when the shot comes.

But he has a couple of years to get better at that.

I also felt that there were a number of quality, tall d-men in rookie camp. A number of them looked good enough to graduate to main camp...so that means there were either a number of them that were WHL calibre or none of them were. I'm hoping for the former.

Having said that, the defense core on team Green of 16 and 17yos was better than their same age-group on Gold...accounting for much of the goal-differential in the three games.

We'll find out tomorrow who really deserved to move up, when they start skating with the veterans.

He'll get a pass to main camp, but I thought that Paivarenta's last game was even worse than his first two until the last 5 minutes when he started to skate in his own zone. I think he's putting too much pressure on himself...he looks like he's overthinking everything. He should simplify things and focus on defense in order to perform better at main camp.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-25-2014, 12:01 AM
PANow has the main camp roster here (http://www.panow.com/node/468940). The following have graduated from rookie camp:

D, Team green (main camp)
Brennan Riddle, 1997
Curtis Roach, 1997
Cody Paivarinta, 1998
Ashton Heidt, 1999
Zachary Hayes, 1999

F team Green (main camp)
Simon Stransky, 1997
Sean Montgomery, 1998
Dylan Williamson, 1998
Cole Booth, 1998
Josh Maser, 1999
Parker Kelly, 1999

D Team Gold (main camp)
Cole De Jonge, 1997
Cody Thompson, 1999
Austin Crossley, 1999

F Team Gold (main camp)
Dylan Stewart, 1997
Caleb Seaman, 1997
Reed Gunville, 1997
Luke Coleman, 1998
Michael Clarke, 1998
Tyler Heidt, 1998
Tyler Maser, 1999

I'm a little surprised at some of the names missing from that list, particularly from the D lists.

De Jong was on the bubble for me. I also thought that Main, Stampohar, Daniels and maybe even Reimer were better than De Jong...looks like their spots were taken by the 15yos.

On the Forward's side of things Trey Fix's size was likely a factor in his not graduating. I thought Shae might have graduated but it was not to be, this year.

It will be interesting to see who gets/stays listed for next fall.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Since there were no 18yos at rookie camp this season, we'll see the following at main camp scrimmage tomorrow morning for the first time.

Name Age Height Weight Games Pts PIM Level

Forwards
Aaron Ryback, 19 6'1" 195lbs 46 44 29 Tier III Junior A USA
Rylan Freed, 18 5.9 154 36 53 24 Tisdale Trojans
Gavin Payne, 18 6.1 185 25 21 6 Minnetonka High School, Minnesota
Ryan Pruden, 18 6 174 34 5 6 MJHL

Also looking forward to seeing Rylan Parenteau (18), Hunter Warner (19) Jordan Tkatch (19) and Ben Verrall (18) this fall.

NOTE: we'll have to wait a while to see Jayden Hart...he's listed as injured.

Time for Calder Brooks to step up!

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-25-2014, 12:55 AM
Ok, we now know who will be competing for the three spots available on Defense.

If Josh does not return (or stays until October 30) Lange, Andrlik, Ghule, and Stewart are naturals for 4 of the 7 spots.

The contestants for the three other spots are:

Ryan Coghlin - Returning 19yo 7th d-man from last season. He will be battling for his #7 spot this fall.
Hunter Warner - newly signed 19yo, a roster spot is his to lose.
Ben Verall - signed 18yo who suited up for one game last year (December 27th). One of the last cuts from camp last fall.
Brennan Riddle - Signed 17yo was a 1st round draft pick of the Calgary Hitmen in 2012. Came over in the Mike Winther deal. Looked pretty good in rookie camp. A roster spot is his to lose.
Cody Paivarenta - Signed 16yo and top (remaining) pick from the 2013 Bantam draft. Had an exceedingly average rookie camp but may be kept until Xmas to work out and practice with the team, similar to what was done in 2012 to develop Mackenzie Stewart
Curtis Roach - 17yo rookie camp invite had a decent rookie camp.
Cole De Jong - 17yo rookie camp invite.

...the rest of the d-men are 15yos who can only play 3 games.

Warner and Riddle certainly are penciled into 2 of those 3 spots, which leaves Coghlin, Verrall, Roach, De jong and Paivarenta fighting for Coghlin's job.

...unless we carry 8 D-men this fall instead of 7.

Best of luck gentlemen.

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
08-25-2014, 06:41 AM
Just a clarification, can't 15 year olds play 5 games in the dub on emergency call ups before their midget teams seasons are finished? Howden got in the 5 games with MJ the middle of last season

Raiderfan8
08-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Game 1 of main camp in the books ! Wow, how good does Aaron Ryback look for a 19 year old right handed shot who is a bigger kid? Not saying PA is gonna drop any youth to keep him but he must of got the attention Craig Leverton or Gage Quinney. I thought Ryback was the hardest working player on the ice. It also looks like we got Harrison Ruopp type player in Hunter Warner as well. Not saying Hunter is a fighter like Ruopp but he skates and takes the body the same way.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Wapitikev
08-26-2014, 09:58 AM
Game 1 of main camp in the books ! Wow, how good does Aaron Ryback look for a 19 year old right handed shot who is a bigger kid? Not saying PA is gonna drop any youth to keep him but he must of got the attention Craig Leverton or Gage Quinney. I thought Ryback was the hardest working player on the ice. It also looks like we got Harrison Ruopp type player in Hunter Warner as well. Not saying Hunter is a fighter like Ruopp but he skates and takes the body the same way.

Anyone else have thoughts?Warner is a fighter. His nickname in the USHL last season was "the Hitman" due to his fighting. You can check out some of his fights on youtube. In the last two years I couldn't find mention of him losing a fight, although there were apparently some wrestling matches. Warner's second game was not as solid as his first...some bad luck is all...I'm sure he'll be fine tonight.

Ryback has incredible acceleration, although his top speed seems to be equaled by others on our team...that immediate speed change will serve him well on a team lacking in Right wingers. Shooting for a spot on the third line, at least. He'll have to beat Conroy and Gardiner out for the top two lines (we have too many centers for Gardiner to play center IMO).

No 20yo forwards playing so far. Hart is listed as injured but Brooks and Conroy are not dressed either. Hmmn.

Paivarenta left the game some time after the first. He did not play in the third.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Just a clarification, can't 15 year olds play 5 games in the dub on emergency call ups before their midget teams seasons are finished? Howden got in the 5 games with MJ the middle of last seasonYou're probably right, SB. My memory is good but it's short and I didn't go and look it up.

-Wapitikev

sbtatter
08-26-2014, 10:17 AM
You're probably right, SB. My memory is good but it's short and I didn't go and look it up.

-Wapitikev

Well, it used to be 5, but maybe it's changed to 3 now!! I thought maybe you'd seen a WHL press release that I hadn't!
Have training camp performances made you more optimistic for your season?

Wapitikev
08-26-2014, 11:08 AM
Well, it used to be 5, but maybe it's changed to 3 now!! I thought maybe you'd seen a WHL press release that I hadn't!
Have training camp performances made you more optimistic for your season?I'm pretty optimistic about our season...we won't beat your team in the standings but if the team doesn't take the 30 game nap they did last season then they should do ok.

There's a lot of tall kids out there in main camp. We'll see how they gel in the pre-season.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Good to see Stransky on board.

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-26-2014, 01:53 PM
Barring an amazing showing from someone at tonight's G&W game, I believe the shortlist of WHL non-veterans to graduate to the pre-season is down to:

Fowards
Stransky
Ryback
Stewart
Coleman
Clarke
Pruden

With Hart injured, and then going to AHL camp, there will be an extra spot for the pre-season.

Defensemen
Warner
Riddle
Paivarenta
Roach
Verrall

Coghlin is definitely in danger of losing his job...and Paivarenta may be hurt (or could have had an equipment problem last night). If he needs some shelf-time to heal, then there will be another spot on the blue-line for the pre-season.

Best of luck to all contestants for tonight's last game.

-Wapitikev

puckdad
08-26-2014, 04:01 PM
I would include Williamson with the list of forwards. IMO he's really the only 16-yr-old who has a chance of staying this year. We definitely won't have 3 16's like last year.
Pav - may as well cut their losses right now & not invest another year of education costs by keeping him around for the exhibition season. Has not developed at all since last year. Has had an exceedingly below average camp.

Wapitikev
08-26-2014, 04:19 PM
I would include Williamson with the list of forwards. IMO he's really the only 16-yr-old who has a chance of staying this year. We definitely won't have 3 16's like last year.
Pav - may as well cut their losses right now & not invest another year of education costs by keeping him around for the exhibition season. Has not developed at all since last year. Has had an exceedingly below average camp.Agree on Pav's camp performance...that's why I think they may keep him if only to do a "Stewart a-la 2012"...he isn't learning what he needs to at the level he played at last year so unless he stays to work with Dave for a few months then it is cut-our losses time.

Williamson has not really stood out for me at camp (although I wasn't really looking for him that hard). He's a talented kid, for sure, but he's pretty light for a 6' player. He could still have a chance.

Coleman got my attention this camp for his skating and hands, which I thought he brought last year, as well as a chippy-side he's showing this year that I don't remember from last year's camp...if he can agitate without getting dumb penalties, there may be a spot on the team for him. Plus he's bigger than Williamson.

Clarke I like to compare with Tim Vanstone...hard working, tough, RW.

...and we could use a few more Right-handed shots...which is why I included Pruden on the list (plus his foot-speed is acceptable).

-Wapitikev

Wapitikev
08-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Paivarenta played (so it must have been an equipment problem).

Williamson didn't play any different than what I've seen so far...had a couple of good and bad moments, but no more than Clarke. Got smacked at the end by Andrlik.

It was the Leverton, Zaharichuk and Quinney show tonight for team Yellow, aka team White...didn't matter who was in net for Green. Nice to see team Yellow finally wake up, offensively.

Even McBride had to scramble a few times to make great saves.

Here's hoping that the offence is just that good and not that the goaltending is only average.

It was certainly not a night for good defense...a number of gaffs led directly to goals.

Looking forward to the announcement on who graduates to pre-season...hopefully by tomorrow pm.

-Wapitikev