PDA

View Full Version : Training camp

RWAH
08-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Time for a new thread for camp. to start us all thinking and expectations rising I copy and pasted the Pat prospects with out the 15s. could not get it formatted to include the player stats but here is what I ended with.

Adam Berg Center 6'0", 170 lb
2014-15 age: 17 Acquired: listed player, spring 2013

Berg has signed a WHL education contract

Tyler Brown Goaltender 6'0", 151 lb
2014-15 age: 17 Acquired: listed player, spring 2014

Kurtis Chapman Goaltender 6'1", 166 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: 2013 7th round bantam pick

Rykr Cole Center 5'10", 175 lb
2014-15 age: 17 Acquired: 2012 3rd round bantam pick
Cole has signed a WHL education contract

Nolan De Jong Defenceman 6'2", 174 lb
2014-15 age: 19 Acquired: 2010 7th round bantam pick
De Jong is the brother of Portland Winterhawks prospect Brendan De Jong

Jake Elmer Right Wing 6'1", 152 lb

Elmer has signed a WHL education contract

Liam Finlay Right Wing 5'7", 145 lb
2014-15 age: 17 Acquired: listed player, fall 2012

Finlay is committed to the NCAA (Denver) starting in 2016-17

Jared Freadrich Defenceman 5'11", 166 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: 2013 4th round bantam pick

Tyler Fuhr Goaltender 6'0", 157 lb
2014-15 age: 19 Acquired: listed player, fall 2013

Fuhr has signed a WHL education contract

James Hilsendager Defenceman 5'10", 157 lb
2014-15 age: 17 Acquired: 2012 9th round bantam pick

Brendan Kallis Defenceman 6'1", 175 lb
2014-15 age: 17 Acquired: 2012 4th round bantam pick

Nikolas Koberstein Defenceman 6'2", 200 lb
2014-15 age: 18 Acquired: 2011 7th round bantam pick
Koberstein is committed to the NCAA (Alaska-Fairbanks) starting in 2015-16 or 2016-17

Colton Kroeker Center 6'2", 175 lb
2014-15 age: 17 Acquired: 2012 7th round bantam pick

Kroeker has signed a WHL education contract

Ryan Krushen Defenceman 6'2", 168 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: listed player, fall 2013

William Lovell Defenceman 6'2", 188 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: listed player, fall 2013

Jared McAmmond Center 6'0", 180 lb
2014-15 age: 17 Acquired: 2012 10th round bantam pick

McAmmond has signed a WHL education contract

Andrew McCann Defenceman 6'0", 163 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: listed player, spring 2014

Alec McCrea Defenceman 6'3", 200 lb
McCrea is committed to the NCAA (Harvard) starting in 2014-15

Nathyn Mortlock Defenceman 6'1", 175 lb
2014-15 age: 18 Acquired: listed player, fall 2013

Mortlock has signed a WHL education contract

Bryar Ortynski Center 6'2", 180 lb
2014-15 age: 18 Acquired: 2011 2nd round bantam pick

Ortynski has signed a WHL education contract

Brady Pouteau Defenceman 6'2", 186 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: 2013 4th round bantam pick

Sean Richards Forward 5'11", 175 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: listed player, spring 2014

Dane Schioler Right Wing 6'1", 175 lb
2014-15 age: 18 Acquired: 2011 2nd round bantam pick
Schioler has signed a WHL education contract

Schioler is the cousin of Regina prospect Liam Schioler

Liam Schioler Defenceman 6'2", 195 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: 2013 2nd round bantam pick
Schioler is the cousin of Regina prospect Dane Schioler

Brady Skjei Defenceman 6'2", 196 lb
2014-15 age: 20 Acquired: listed player, spring 2014

Luc Smith Center 6'5", 202 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: 2013 3rd round bantam pick
Smith has signed a WHL education contract

Brady Third Right Wing 6'2", 163 lb
2014-15 age: 16 Acquired: 2013 8th round bantam pick

RWAH
08-20-2014, 03:22 PM
here is a link to the camp schedule
http://www.reginapats.com/article/2014-training-camp-schedule

nivek_wahs
08-20-2014, 03:35 PM
As of Aug. 20, 2014

Regina Pats 2014 Training Camp

Thursday August 21
9:00 - 10:00 a.m. Rookie Camp Practice
10:15 - 11:15 a.m. Rookie Camp Practice
1:00 - 2:30 p.m. Rookie Camp Scrimmage
6:00 - 7:30 p.m. Rookie Camp Scrimmage

Friday August 22
10:00 - 11:30 a.m. Rookie Camp Scrimmage
3:15 - 4:45 p.m. Rookie Camp Scrimmage
5:00 - 5:45 p.m. Main Camp Practice
6:00 - 6:45 p.m. Main Camp Practice
7:30 - 9:00 p.m. Rookie Camp Scrimmage

Saturday August 23
10:00 - 11:15 a.m. Main Camp Scrimmage
3:30 - 4:45 p.m. Main Camp Scrimmage
8:00 - 9:15 p.m. Main Camp Scrimmage

Sunday August 24
10:00 -11:30 a.m. Main Camp Scrimmage
11:45 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. Goalie Session
3:00 - 4:30 p.m. Main Camp Scrimmage
7:30 - 9:00 p.m. Main Camp Scrimmage

Blue and White Game Monday August 25th - 7:00 p.m.

patsdude114
08-20-2014, 04:50 PM
I wonder if Finlay is going to show up to camp this year or not. Maybe a change of heart after all the attention he was getting when his Midget team was playing in the Telus Cup from the Pats media guys. I find it abit odd that Finlay at age 15 came all that way for camp only to change his mind last year when he had a legit chance at making the team. Only thing that would of held him back was his size, he was becoming a fan favorite at the camp that year he did come.

I flat out wonder with any of these players who were not committing to Regina if having a guy like Paddock changes how them &/or their parents think of the program. Guys like Koberstein, Schioler are guys that the Pats could insert into the lineup right away and give them quality minutes, especially Koberstein. I for one hope these players reconsider but I don't really expect it to happen

RWAH
08-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Any one got a roster and did the drafted Russian ????? make over the pond?

crashnbang
08-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Pats are more interested in advertising the times for the "neutral zone" store. Bold that neutral zone crap but don't make it easy to see the actual schedule of the camp....c'mon!

crashnbang
08-20-2014, 08:17 PM
On a more positive note, I can't wait for camp. Let's see what they can put together. Aside from Klimchuk, Hunt, Gay and Christopher up front, I really hope the 97 born players can show they deserve to play as I think we are very deep in that age group and they can carry the team for a few years to follow. Steel would be the lone 16 year old that I'd keep this year but maybe room for 1 or 2 more. We are best to use this year to develop, I don't see us in race for 1st in the east. Brandon will lock up 1st in the east this year without any question if you ask me. Will Brooks finally show us why he was a 1st rounder? Ortynski was 2nd rounder the year Brooks was a 1st rounder - does he have any hope?

Bighat
08-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Schedule above and brooks was a 2nd rounder.

patsdude114
08-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Will Brooks finally show us why he was a 1st rounder? Ortynski was 2nd rounder the year Brooks was a 1st rounder - does he have any hope?

ROUND (OV) PLAYER NAME
2 (25) Adam Brooks
2 (36) Dane Schioler
2 (44) Bryar Ortynski
3 (47) Griffin Mumby
5 (106) Nathan Churchill
6 (113) Erik Donald
7 (135) Nikolas Koberstein
8 (157) Kienan Scott
9 (179) Patrick Gora
10 (201) Kenny Nordstrom

Any one got a roster and did the drafted Russian ????? make over the pond?

So far nothing has been posted and haven't got anything from Phil yet either but I did send Daniel Fink a email this evening so maybe there is hope he has this info still... or we can just hope that the Pats provide this info at the skates

patsdude114
08-20-2014, 09:15 PM
just got a email reply from Daniel Fink saying he will have rosters all ready for us die hard fans who take in training camp

RWAH
08-20-2014, 09:34 PM
PD114 thanks will pick one up tomorrow.
Small thoughts has some of the other team's rosters as he get them he posts them http://smallatlarge.blogspot.ca/

RWAH
08-20-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks Kevin: a much better and complete schedule

patsdude114
08-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Morning rookie practices in the books and can't go off them much at all besides watching some foot speed and alittle skill.

A couple kids stood out though mainly due to size but was it just me or did Freadrich get a lot bigger bigger over the summer? It may of just been me and I'll look a lot closer during the scrimmages today but he appears to be bigger in height and put some bulk on. Pouteau looked like a seasoned vet doing every drill smooth and calm plus his size looks very appealing to out back end.

Steel, Smith and Elmer we already know what they bring, all have skill and great hands. Steel and Elmer are way more agile where Smith is all power, only thing I could potentially see holding Smith back this year is his skating but I really hope he cracks this years team. Smith and Wagner could be a force when they are 18/19/20 years old.

RWAH
08-21-2014, 11:32 AM
First impression with this mornings workout The 99 crop for next year will be very good. No surprises, on D Pouteau, Freadrich will be in main camp and push for a spot. Forwards Smith, Third, Elmers, Woods and Lovell should be around for the weekend. This will probably change (more added) after the scrimmages.
Any one else take in the morning practise?

crashnbang
08-21-2014, 01:36 PM

ROUND (OV) PLAYER NAME
2 (25) Adam Brooks
2 (36) Dane Schioler
2 (44) Bryar Ortynski
3 (47) Griffin Mumby
5 (106) Nathan Churchill
6 (113) Erik Donald
7 (135) Nikolas Koberstein
8 (157) Kienan Scott
9 (179) Patrick Gora
10 (201) Kenny Nordstrom

So far nothing has been posted and haven't got anything from Phil yet either but I did send Daniel Fink a email this evening so maybe there is hope he has this info still... or we can just hope that the Pats provide this info at the skates

My bad, thought Brooks went 1st round, but 2nd it was. Nonetheless, he hasn't lived up to a #25 overall pick.

patsdude114
08-21-2014, 03:30 PM
My bad, thought Brooks went 1st round, but 2nd it was. Nonetheless, he hasn't lived up to a #25 overall pick.

Oh I fully agree in that he hasn't lived up to anything that was out on him, even when he had chance to play with the more skilled guys he was lost out there more times then not.

If he doesn't start showing his so called offensive side in training camp and in the preseason I really see no reason to keep him around this season when he is just taking a roster spot from a younger guy who actualy shows some promise.

patsdude114
08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
One player who stood out for me from the Scrimmage was #23 Red Riley Woods, he is a list player who is from Regina and boy does this kid have wheels. I was texting my buddy who coaches in Regina Minor Hockey and said he coached Woods this spring and said he was by far the best player on his team and took advantage of his skill set and speed.

I don't have the roster sheet infront of me at the moment but a few other kids who stood out for me were the 3 walk on's on Team Grey #20 #21 #22 were a trio of a line and looked like 2 of them were teammates due to the same design on their pants. #21 & #22 could really skate

Riley Bruce for me really stood out, not with his play with the puck but his aggressiveness and physical play. That is something we have lacked in our organization that last while with defensemen.

I like what I seen from Steel, Elmer & Gardnier if I could change 1 thing with them it would be them quit being so cute and shoot the puck more often. Smith had a few really good hits as did Third, Team Red by far is more physical then then Team Grey.

Hollett and Chapman both looked good and looking forward to seeing them again this evening. I would love to see Woods playing on the wing with Steel, I think Steel's line is missing that speedy winger that Woods can bring.

RWAH
08-21-2014, 09:10 PM
The second scrimmage had more speed and flow as the players were more adjusted to each other and just to be in hockey mode. PD114 agree with your comments and add Lovell played well, like Kallis not showy but solid defensively good first pass. Pouteau is a blue chip. always head up looking to make the play. the afternoon scrimmage Third was physical with 3 big hits and 4 or 5 times sealed the player on the wall.
impressed with the talent of the 99s. tough decisions next year if they progress in midget this season.

patsdude114
08-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Unfortunately wasn't able to make the morning skate would love to hear from someone who was there from there view on the morning skate.

Are the same players still the most noticeable or did someone else step up today?

RWAH
08-22-2014, 10:28 PM
I watched the afternoon rookie scrimmage, the vets practise and half the night (and final) rookie scrimmage. Only note worthy Smith missed both scrimmages and Steele and Elmer and Gardner not dressed for the final scrimmage. Gardner took a puck to the hand in the noon scrimmage. Watched Lovell and still like his game.
On the vet side, no lineup so don't know if the Russian is here or not. Kammerrer looked faster and better handling the puck. Wagner and Zimmer were faster and more comfortable. Some of the players (not from our team) but list or walk on are very poor skating and will be gone before the blue and white.
Hope to watch two scrimmages tomorrow but any one who gets to see one please post your thoughts and observations.

patsdude114
08-23-2014, 12:35 AM
Smith was taken to the hospital this morning by the team as precautions to a possible mono case.

Smith, Woods, Elmer and Gardnier have been moved to main camp which is why they didn't play in the evening scrimmage. They had nothing more to prove, I left after the first 30min period of the last scrimmage as it just wasn't worth watching.

I was told #2 on white was the new Russian, he was big and a pretty good skater IMO..... I found a lot of his passes were off the mark but I'm not too worries about that as who knows how often he was on the ice back in Russia.

Was told by Lang they are going with the 3 main camp teams again with Wapple, Macauley and Fuhr as each teams goalies.

My thoughts on rookie camp.....
I thought Woods was the best all around player, he lead some great rushes, he used his teammates, he created offence every time he was on the ice.

Steel showed some flashes but he was trying to do way to much and forgot he had teammates on the ice basically every shift he was out there. Honestly I was alittle disappointed in his play. He will need to change that though once he is playing with vets as they are much faster and smarter, I'm not worried about Steel one bit though.

Elmer I thought got better after he wasn't playing with Steel, also Gardiner he is going to be the real deal he was already a top 5 forward among all the rookies.

Krushen I thought was the best Dman out there followed very closely by Pouteau then Freidrich, Bruce and Lovell. I also thought Sandstrom played well all camp too.

There were a few decent walk on guys I really liked that #21 Grey he was quick and played with an edge for a smaller guy. Not sure on his age kind of hope he is only 15yrs old and we list him after we drop Ortynski.

Also my biggest surprise in camp was Brady Third, after 2 spring camps and last years trainin camp I really thought he wasn't worth much but this years training camp he was showing a lot more then he ever has and found himself in my eyes the 5th best forward in rookie camp behind Woods, Steel, Elmer and Gardiner.

I know I was very judgemental when the Pats decided to select a goalie with out 1st rd pick but this Hollett kid is the real deal. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in main camp against te older stronger shooters. Chapman showed a lot as well I think our goaltending is in great hands for the future. Usually our franchise has sucked at finding goalies, but with those 2 along wíh Schineder who we traded last year we have been finding goalies who can play at this level.

dsquared
08-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Did Finlay make it to camp this year?

patsdude114
08-23-2014, 12:02 PM
Did Finlay make it to camp this year?

Nope he didn't

Here is a short list of guys I noticed who were not at camp at all....
Finlay
Richards
Holmes
L. Schoiler

I may of missed some else but those were the noticeable ones for me

nivek_wahs
08-23-2014, 12:48 PM
Nope he didn't

Here is a short list of guys I noticed who were not at camp at all....
Finlay
Richards
Holmes
L. Schoiler

I may of missed some else but those were the noticeable ones for me
Not really surprises but Mumby and Hand aren't here.

Listed defencemen Nathyn Mortlock and Andrew McCann aren't here either.

patsdude114
08-23-2014, 01:09 PM
I completely missed no Mumby, although without sounding like too much if a A-hole he is really no loss to us

No Hand is definitely not a surprise and it the best thing for his health to no longer take part in the sport at this level, even though he is more then capable of playing at this level and it's prob bugging him like crazy.

As for McCann and Mortlock I really don't think they had much of a chance anyways with such a strong D core coming up...... More lock did play well during a call up last year maybe a team who is lacking defense could take a chance on him as a 6th or 7th Dman.

chopper
08-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Are any of Dejong, Kobertein, McCrea or Skjei in camp?
Both Reid Duke and MaCoy Erkamps have failed to show up in Lethbridge. Duke is big rugged guy who had 15 goals and 91pim last season. Maybe there might be something the Pats could consider there.

patsdude114
08-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Are any of Dejong, Kobertein, McCrea or Skjei in camp?

Nope not 1 of those guys are at camp either but neither of those names surprise me for not being there either. Would of been nice to get Koberstein but im going out on a limb and saying we will never see him in a Pats jersey.

Both Reid Duke and MaCoy Erkamps have failed to show up in Lethbridge. Duke is big rugged guy who had 15 goals and 91pim last season. Maybe there might be something the Pats could consider there.

I wouldn't by any means say Reid Duke is a big rugged player, he stands 6'0 188 but he does play in the edge and plays bigger then his stature really is, both those players are a big loss for the Hurricanes and that can fall directly onto their fool of a coach in Drake Berehowsky. I hope for the Canes fans that this coach can finally turn things around in Lethbridge but imho I really do not see that happening.

Duke is the age group that we do lack and he would be a nice addition to our 2nd line, heck he could even become the #1 center as I really do not feel Steel is ready for the #1 center spot.

chopper
08-23-2014, 01:51 PM
I know someone in Calgary who told me Duke is over 6' and 190+. He will scrap and does a pretty good job in that area. Even though he is a year younger I would give them Mumby for Ercamps..lol.

I have been concerned about the Schoiler situation for some time. It would appear strongly that he doesn't want to be here. Now is when he should come not at 17 or 18. After the 2nd round disaster of 2011 to lose out on our 2nd round 2013 would be a big blow. You can list a lot of guys but you won't list a Schoiler. He is pegged as an elite player at all of the levels. This stings big time. We have recently lost a lot of good players this route. I think our scouts will need to re-double their efforts to identify kids in all rounds who will report here.

patsdude114
08-23-2014, 02:07 PM
I know someone in Calgary who told me Duke is over 6' and 190+. He will scrap and does a pretty good job in that area. Even though he is a year younger I would give them Mumby for Ercamps..lol.

there is a very good chance that possibly Duke did grow another inch or so over the summer but I remember him quite well when LETH came here to play and he was not much bigger then Brooks in terms of height I think the 6'0 listing on the WHL website was being generous. But like I said he does play a lot bigger then the frame he does support and will be a solid player for whoever lands him in a trade if in fact LETH does trade him. The only way LETH corrects this problem is by not trading the players who do not report or who request trades. By meeting their request you no longer run your franchise the kids run it

I have been concerned about the Schoiler situation for some time. It would appear strongly that he doesn't want to be here. Now is when he should come not at 17 or 18. After the 2nd round disaster of 2011 to lose out on our 2nd round 2013 would be a big blow. You can list a lot of guys but you won't list a Schoiler. He is pegged as an elite player at all of the levels. This stings big time. We have recently lost a lot of good players this route. I think our scouts will need to re-double their efforts to identify kids in all rounds who will report here.

Unfortunately we are not the only team out there who loses these types of players to the NCAA route. He is attending school at St. Mary's again which is in the states which also gives the NCAA more scouting to lure this type of player to them. Can not fault the Pats in this type of situation you draft the best possible player at all times and if things don't work out it is beyond your control.

If the Pats can prove they can be a legit top franchise that players want to come and play for then these types of situations will change, but as of right now we are not considered in the same breath of air as the Portland's, Calgary's, Edmonton's, Brandon's or Kelowna's of the WHL.... until that happens players like Schioler will pick other options.

Ive always said if Hockey Canada was serious about getting and keeping the top Canadian players staying and playing in the CHL that they make it no player is allowed to play for the U18's or U20's teams. It may give alittle more leverage back to the CHL in terms of recruiting, something needs to be done cause losing some of our top prospects not only hurts the CHL teams but also hurts us fans of the CHL as we start watching too many players who don't truly belong in the CHL... I also feel even the smallest of an adjustment to the education plan could help as well, that 18month window to use the schooling is too small of a window especially for players who want to give Pro hockey a chance. I honestly think 3-5yrs should be the window as it allows players to attempt to live out their dream of playing professional hockey without it effecting the schooling side shall things not work out.

chopper
08-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Totally agree the education window should be five years. Let a kid pursue his pro dreams for a bit and if it doesn't work out he can fall back on his education money.

I also like the ideas of having a qualifier that in order to play for Hockey Canada at any level below pro would require you to play in the CHL or Tier two jr. A good case could be made that the CHL is the primary supplier of Jr players to our country's programs so the member teams should be compensated in some way. At any rate outside of Toews I can't remember a college player really being a difference maker. It may be an additional factor these players consider before failing to report.

chopper
08-23-2014, 06:46 PM
I finally got out to a scrimmage this afternoon and it was like most I've witnessed over the years. It was spotty and you could see the vets took advantage of the rookies pretty good but there were some interesting things.

Jacob Elmer looked good most every shift even though he didn't score. I may have been the only one but Webb from the blue team was a very effective player and pretty big. Sillinger for the red squad is always around the puck and his last goal was slick. Westerling was pretty effective player as well. I feel for Hollett as he was left out to dry a lot. Poteau struggled a fair bit.

Some of the vets on the blue squad failed to impress me much. I'm not sure what I think about Ortynsky on the red team. Outside of Steel I wonder aloud how much real talent there is available. Today nobody pulled me out of my seat.

patsdude114
08-23-2014, 10:25 PM
I finally got out to a scrimmage this afternoon and it was like most I've witnessed over the years. It was spotty and you could see the vets took advantage of the rookies pretty good but there were some interesting things.

Last years camp I think was way more intense as we had a few more chippy type players like Hand, Ouellette, McCoy, Christoffer, Stevenson to name a few, this years camp has been pretty cool and calm. Sometimes I feel there is too many younger guys in the mix who really have no shot but on the flip side when having basically every player who attended camp who's on your 50man roster it lets each player see where they are truly at in terms of their development and where they need to get to to have a legit shot.

Jacob Elmer looked good most every shift even though he didn't score. I may have been the only one but Webb from the blue team was a very effective player and pretty big. Sillinger for the red squad is always around the puck and his last goal was slick. Westerling was pretty effective player as well. I feel for Hollett as he was left out to dry a lot. Poteau struggled a fair bit.

Elmer I think has picked up his game since rookie camp which I think is just a result of playing with better players all around and knowing he has to do things quicker then against his peers.

As for Webb I am a big fan of this guy, does anyone know how old he is? Hes a big guy who is hard to move off the puck, Schacher even struggled with him down low in the morning scrimmage. Would love to see a line of Webb/Wagner/Hunt all 3 of those guys are very strong down low. I was talking to Paddock this evening about Webb and from how he was talking about him it wont surprise me one bit if he gets a chance in a exhibition game or 2

Sillinger was good again this evening too, him and Woods have definitely turned a few heads at camp. If I recall correctly Woods had 3 assists in the afternoon skate (2 forsure)

Pouteau reminds me a lot of Reagan at least years camp, alittle bit of a project but a lot of upside in his game. Looking at how far Hilsendager game has came along I think putting Pouteau in midget like they did with Hilsendager is going to further his development even more. We have some quality younger Dmen at age 17 in Kallis & Hilsendager who id much rather see on the roster... I think Hilsendager most definitely has the inside track on a roster spot.

Some of the vets on the blue squad failed to impress me much. I'm not sure what I think about Ortynsky on the red team. Outside of Steel I wonder aloud how much real talent there is available. Today nobody pulled me out of my seat.

I for one have been very impressed with Ortynski game at camp, I really thought he was a right off but he has really impressed me a lot especially in tonight's scrimmage. As of right now I'd take Ortynski over Brooks.

Gay had a really good evening scrimmage I think some of the vets just needed to find their legs alittle more, him and Steel really worked well together. I could see them being part of our 2nd line

As for tonight's scrimmage some players who really stood out to me were....
Jared McAmmond he has great puck pursuit and the speed to go along with it
Colton Kroeker him Wagner and (I believe) Woods had a lot of puck cycling time... Colton really controlled the play well, displayed what his potential well tonight I belive.
Bryar Ortynski by far the best I have ever seen him play, he is a completely different player after a year in Jr. A... when he played as a 16yr old he was afraid to have the puck on his stick and never really progressed at all under Conacher
Rykr Cole had a few very good chances to score this evening, used his speed well
Adam Berg really thought he found his legs for the evening scrimmage, he was abit invisible during the morning scrimmage but this evening he seemed to be everywhere
Riley Woods was as effective as this this afternoon's scrimmage but was still all over the ice and always seems to be creating something when on the ice. I really hope they give him a game or 2 during the pre-season tournament

crashnbang
08-23-2014, 10:58 PM
Last years camp I think was way more intense as we had a few more chippy type players like Hand, Ouellette, McCoy, Christoffer, Stevenson to name a few, this years camp has been pretty cool and calm. Sometimes I feel there is too many younger guys in the mix who really have no shot but on the flip side when having basically every player who attended camp who's on your 50man roster it lets each player see where they are truly at in terms of their development and where they need to get to to have a legit shot.

Elmer I think has picked up his game since rookie camp which I think is just a result of playing with better players all around and knowing he has to do things quicker then against his peers.

As for Webb I am a big fan of this guy, does anyone know how old he is? Hes a big guy who is hard to move off the puck, Schacher even struggled with him down low in the morning scrimmage. Would love to see a line of Webb/Wagner/Hunt all 3 of those guys are very strong down low. I was talking to Paddock this evening about Webb and from how he was talking about him it wont surprise me one bit if he gets a chance in a exhibition game or 2

Sillinger was good again this evening too, him and Woods have definitely turned a few heads at camp. If I recall correctly Woods had 3 assists in the afternoon skate (2 forsure)

Pouteau reminds me a lot of Reagan at least years camp, alittle bit of a project but a lot of upside in his game. Looking at how far Hilsendager game has came along I think putting Pouteau in midget like they did with Hilsendager is going to further his development even more. We have some quality younger Dmen at age 17 in Kallis & Hilsendager who id much rather see on the roster... I think Hilsendager most definitely has the inside track on a roster spot.

I for one have been very impressed with Ortynski game at camp, I really thought he was a right off but he has really impressed me a lot especially in tonight's scrimmage. As of right now I'd take Ortynski over Brooks.

Gay had a really good evening scrimmage I think some of the vets just needed to find their legs alittle more, him and Steel really worked well together. I could see them being part of our 2nd line

As for tonight's scrimmage some players who really stood out to me were....
Jared McAmmond he has great puck pursuit and the speed to go along with it
Colton Kroeker him Wagner and (I believe) Woods had a lot of puck cycling time... Colton really controlled the play well, displayed what his potential well tonight I belive.
Bryar Ortynski by far the best I have ever seen him play, he is a completely different player after a year in Jr. A... when he played as a 16yr old he was afraid to have the puck on his stick and never really progressed at all under Conacher
Rykr Cole had a few very good chances to score this evening, used his speed well
Adam Berg really thought he found his legs for the evening scrimmage, he was abit invisible during the morning scrimmage but this evening he seemed to be everywhere
Riley Woods was as effective as this this afternoon's scrimmage but was still all over the ice and always seems to be creating something when on the ice. I really hope they give him a game or 2 during the pre-season tournament

Watched all games today - Christoffer was my pick for top forward although at 20 he should be a stand out. The next best player today was Cole who scored a nice goal, was hitting anything and everything in sight and made some nice plays. I would like to see Cole with a winger like Gay or Christoffer. Steel playing with proven veterans looks very good. Harrison was my top D man today, I could see him running a PP. If tomorrow is no different, the vets better not get too comfy.

Although Ortynski has looked good, his 6 points in AJHL are enough for me to pass on him. Although they may be better than Zimmer's 0 points last season with the Pats.

chopper
08-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Listening to McMullin it almost seems they are still looking at Luc Smith as a possible 16 year old with Steel and I suspect maybe one more. The thing is that some 18 year olds have to show a lot more than some highly rated 17 year olds if they want to keep their spot. I would say any tie should go to the younger guy. McMullin talked about youth while playing on the road and being taken advantage of. That's why I have long said we should be trading for a couple of tougher guys to look after the youth on this team.

Some vets will be moved to make room for young talent. Not all of our talented kids will be able to play here, so if any 17 year old can't make it we should be looking at packaging up a couple to get what we need. We need some toughness for sure.

The returning roster is not loaded with talent and clearly our best chance at excellence lays with our younger players in a year or two. Even after regular season starts I still fully expect to see several moves.

SectionNDeserter
08-24-2014, 05:28 AM
As for Webb I am a big fan of this guy, does anyone know how old he is?He is an 18 year old, he played 13 games for Red Deer last season. http://whl.ca/roster/show/id/10608

chopper
08-24-2014, 06:58 AM
Ortynski has very little offensive upside and if it came to either he or Webb, I like Webb a lot more. The one thing we have to once again guard against is getting too freaking small. This has hurt us in the past and we are drifting there again; can't succeed like that.

Hunt, Christopher, Brooks, Williams, Burroughs and a few other vets are under 6'. Then rookies like Cole, Steel, Woods, Sillinger, McAmmond and others are all pretty small. In training camp scrimmages some of the quick smaller guys show well.

Adding in Steel and Cole in my mind tells me that Brooks and someone else may have to go. Especially if Freadrich and Woods are on the radar. If you look at the Edmonton model they are very big and they can skate. They are also Memorial Cup Champs.

In scrimmages it's easy to get bug eyed about little guys lighting it up. When the shooting starts for real and your playing against 6'4' D-men you need to be bigger and stronger. The mantra was to get bigger so I hope they don't forget. They still needs some components, and probably by trade.

ALSO; has anyone heard what the deal is with Mumby and why Holmes didn't come to truing camp. Are we looking at another NCAA wanna be?

patsdude114
08-24-2014, 08:20 AM
Sillinger has been nice to watch since main camp has started but there is a huge difference between him and Woods.... Sillinger hasn't been facing many of the vet Dmen he seems to always be in the ice when there are walk on Dmen on the ice, Woods has been creating offence still when guys like Schacher, Reagan, Williams and the new Russian have all be in the ice. I would like to see Woods get in a couple exhibition games just to see how he truly stacks up against other teams defenses as for Sillinger he will be done after today.

I said a few good things about Ortynski cause they were needed to be said he had a very solid game last night. It doesn't matter how many points he had last season or what he done errr didn't do as a 16yr old here with the Pats.... His game has improved a lot, I still think his chances if making this team is slim to none but I'm giving the kid some credit as he was one of the better players last night.

crashnbang
08-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Listening to McMullin it almost seems they are still looking at Luc Smith as a possible 16 year old with Steel and I suspect maybe one more. The thing is that some 18 year olds have to show a lot more than some highly rated 17 year olds if they want to keep their spot. I would say any tie should go to the younger guy. McMullin talked about youth while playing on the road and being taken advantage of. That's why I have long said we should be trading for a couple of tougher guys to look after the youth on this team.

Some vets will be moved to make room for young talent. Not all of our talented kids will be able to play here, so if any 17 year old can't make it we should be looking at packaging up a couple to get what we need. We need some toughness for sure.

The returning roster is not loaded with talent and clearly our best chance at excellence lays with our younger players in a year or two. Even after regular season starts I still fully expect to see several moves.

Smith isn't near ready for the WHL, unless we don't care about talent. 7 goals in a full season of AAA midget and I don't see much offensive upside or the grit required if you can't score in this league. Wait and see how he does in exhibition and maybe he will surprise me. It'd be nice if the Pats would update player size and weight on web site for guys in the system too, some guys have really put on some weight. 6'2 guys that can't score are a dime a dozen, talent is not, especially talent and grit together.

patsdude114
08-24-2014, 08:51 AM
I see your (crashnbang) a stat guy and nothing more...... I feel sorry for you not being able to see Smith's talents. A lot of the so called 'point guys' are too afraid to get their nose dirty and go work for a puck. I'm sure your leaning towards keeping Sillinger over Smith just cause Sillinger is scoring goals against walk in Dmen who don't even belong to be the water boys in the WHL

Smith's case of mono may end up hurting him to make this roster but he is miles ahead of every other 16 year old not named Steel.

nivek_wahs
08-24-2014, 09:17 AM
I said a few good things about Ortynski cause they were needed to be said he had a very solid game last night. It doesn't matter how many points he had last season or what he done errr didn't do as a 16yr old here with the Pats.... His game has improved a lot, I still think his chances if making this team is slim to none but I'm giving the kid some credit as he was one of the better players last night.Sitting on the bench here as a 16 really killed his progress. There were at least 5 or 6 games that he dressed and never came off of the bench. How can anyone get better? I don't know too about his AJHL team but I'm guessing he had another limited roll. In camp he's been good in my opinion.

With new people in charge of hockey ops, who knows what will happen.

nivek_wahs
08-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Today nobody pulled me out of my seat.When was the last time this happened? For me, it's been a long time.

patsdude114
08-24-2014, 09:24 AM
I fully agree with you

When your one of the better players out on the ice it doesn't matter what you've done in the past especially in junior hockey where every peeks at different ages. I hope he makes me eat my words when I said he has slim to none chances at making the team. As of right now he has a pretty good shot, I would take him over to Brooks like I said previously

chopper
08-24-2014, 09:29 AM
I spoke about Smith briefly with Lang after the season ended. We talked about Smith and the operative word used was "character". McMullin has said the same things. Lang says he sticks up for other players(toughness we need) and will do anything to win. He had a good playoffs and scored the winning OT goal that knocked Sam Steel's team out (dipsy-doodlers) of the playoffs. I was told that in a couple years Smith will be captain material. Pretty high praise for a rookie. His goal totals weren't a concern since big 6'5" guys take some time to get going. he will be a feared player in this league in 2 or 3 years. I know they want him here, but like PD114 says the mono will set him back. Hopefully not too long.

Talent is important but talent and size are not mutually exclusive. You do need size and ability to play effectively in this league. Admittedly Medicine Hat has used the small guy model successfully during regular season. However playoffs have been another story and championships have been hard to find.

chopper
08-24-2014, 10:24 AM
When was the last time this happened? For me, it's been a long time.

That's actually pretty sad isn't it? One might suggest that perhaps it's the reason this franchise has fallen to the stature it has. Cameron did a lot with a little last season, and the talent level was highlighted by the fact nobody was drafted from a pennant winning team.

Hopefully kids like Steel, Gardiner and Hollet can change that.

If Ortynski makes the team I think it would be on his size, likely at the expense of someone like Brooks. He would need to be a straight line banger and crasher. His pim's in The AJHL don't seem to suggest he is a guy who gets too involved. Time will tell I expect.

Does anyone know what the situation is with Mumby? Is he requesting a trade or quit? Also was Holmes injured or what?

RWAH
08-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Two points for others to comment on:
This pre-season with the tourney next week-end do they keep more rookies 16 and 17s to get an even better evaluation. And does that translate into a younger team. and if so I agree with chopper we need to get them some protection.
I watched Steele and he is not changing when he gets the chance. He is staying out 15 to 20 seconds longer that his line mates. In league play with teams that transition very quickly that would put the play in our end with a tired centre. Has anyone else noticed this? and it is a habit that will need to be corrected or his +/- will reflect it.

chopper
08-24-2014, 12:26 PM
This pre-season with the tourney next week-end do they keep more rookies 16 and 17s to get an even better evaluation. And does that translate into a younger team. and if so I agree with chopper we need to get them some protection.
I watched Steele and he is not changing when he gets the chance. He is staying out 15 to 20 seconds longer that his line mates. In league play with teams that transition very quickly that would put the play in our end with a tired centre. Has anyone else noticed this? and it is a habit that will need to be corrected or his +/- will reflect it.

You bring up some very valid points for sure. With respect to Steel I think once the shooting starts for real he will get coached up to change the way Paddock wants OR he will be riding the pines a fair bit...lol...I think he will be fine.

Pre season games sometimes can make the difference between a couple of guys who are very close. Ultimately it still ends up being the discretion and choice of the HC.

The young guys are trying to make an impression for sure but the coach also needs to watch the vets as some will be on the bubble. If the HC is thinking of going young he also needs to see who is expendable..love the movies..LOL. The decisions are often complex.

It's like you need to see the hopefuls but you also need to see who you might be moving to keep them. Some vets will be moving. I won't move from my position we need a couple of policemen on this team. Christopher is a gamer but he is only a 5'10" 180 size.

We can't keep all our d-men and Mumby is still apparently at home. I still see a veteran d-man coming in to the mix. This team won't be highly seeded so I expect Klimchuk will be moved at the deadline. we will need a painful year so lets get it over with.

patsdude114
08-24-2014, 12:27 PM

Its training camp... relax.... everyone is staying out there longer then they should be, they all need to increase their stamina and longer shifts during training camp works on that.

Steel never had this issue during his late season call up and it wont be an issue once the real games start. Keep in mind a dead tired Steel for example is still better then most of the 16yr olds and other walk on players.

Bighat
08-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Just got back from my first look at training camp here are my views and report: I saw red vs white. Defence- Harrison looked very good and mobile, Schacher looks good, Reagan bigger and better, Burroughs steady and I was really impressed with James hilsendager he really stood out.

Forwards:
The vets looked really good gay, Christopher, d'amico, mcveigh, Wagner. The best of the bunch was Hanson bigger faster just controlled the play.

The young guys that looked good were; mcammond, berg, steel, cole, Kroeker, schioler, westeringh. Schioler reminds of a Curtis tippler great hands but lacks skating. I see a spot on the team for all this kids they bring speed and scoring ability.

Prospects. Riley woods has hockey sense and hands, needs to get stronger but I see him as a part of the future. Tyler Pickett caught my eye as well.

Hopefully I can take in the blue and white game tomorrow, but I see some tough choices and a lot of easy ones. We do lack some size again this year.

RWAH
08-24-2014, 03:06 PM
PD114 when the season starts, a tired Steele (with the puck in our end) will not be better than the 2nd or 3rd line centre. A tired centre playing defence can cost you goals against. It is a habit that will need to change and Chopper is correct it will change or he will be on the bench. I raised the point as it was a little thing that I noticed and wondered if anyone else noticed.
I do think that the tourney this week end will mean we keep more of the young guys here as it is before school and they get a better evaluation.
I have not seen the Russian: ant comments any one
How you practise is how you play
it is easier to make bad habits than it is to break bad habits

patsdude114
08-24-2014, 03:08 PM
none of his shifts last year while called up were even close to as long as they have been in training camp... your over thinking training camp way to much. You seem like the only one judging a play by how long he stays on the ice during training camp, everyone has taken extremely long shifts as you don't see the ice again for about 5mins anyways

RWAH
08-24-2014, 04:13 PM
I made no comment about judging him. He is the best 16 on the ice and I am not comparing his line to any other line, I am comparing his shift to his line mates.

patsdude114
08-24-2014, 04:23 PM
all im saying is you are worrying way to much about a non issue with training camp, it was never an issue last season when he was called up and I highly doubt it will be an issue when real games start

sbtatter
08-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Is Steel lighting it up in camp? How much has he grown? Will he start the season as a top 6 forward?

patsdude114
08-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Is Steel lighting it up in camp? How much has he grown? Will he start the season as a top 6 forward?

Without a doubt he will be nothing less then a 2nd line center (imo)

as for his scoring in training camp he is basically at 2-3 points/game during scrimmages same rate as Gay.... Steel has been more productive in main camp then he was in rookie camp due to him trying to do way to much against his peers... trying to be the superstar instead of just playing his game

cpaw74
08-24-2014, 08:18 PM
This team has no intensity and no toughness . The Wheatkings and Warriors are going to walk all over us. Not one single fight in the whole camp. We definitely need to bring in some toughness.

sbtatter
08-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Without a doubt he will be nothing less then a 2nd line center (imo)

as for his scoring in training camp he is basically at 2-3 points/game during scrimmages same rate as Gay.... Steel has been more productive in main camp then he was in rookie camp due to him trying to do way to much against his peers... trying to be the superstar instead of just playing his game

It's going to be so interesting watching Benson vs Steel vs Howden vs Patrick and Kaspick over the next 4 years!

patsdude114
08-24-2014, 09:40 PM
hows that Kapsick looking in camp? I always thought he was a pretty solid player

sbtatter
08-25-2014, 06:34 AM
hows that Kapsick looking in camp? I always thought he was a pretty solid player

Camp hasn't started here yet. Wed I believe. Kaspick looked good in that Canada U17 summer camp. I always think he looks like a solid prospect, good defensively and under rated offensively. His attitude is good as well, he has a quiet confidence. Interested to see where he can fit this year, WK's return 11 forwards (not including Nejezhleb), and Patrick will take the 12th spot, Lycar, Elder, Kaspick and Lewis will be jostling for the extra spots. (Assuming Thiessen and McCorrister don't steal a spot, and assuming C Conrad and W Allison are USHL no shows)

So what linemates do people think Steel will get? Will he get decent PP time?

Thatshockey1965
08-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Does anyone have a line up for the Bluw and white game?

crashnbang
08-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Does anyone have a line up for the Bluw and white game?
http://www.reginapats.com/uploads/assets/WHL_REGINA_EN_SITE/SplashPages/2014_Blue_and_White_Game_Roster.pdf

nivek_wahs
08-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Blue and White Game Rosters can be found here: http://reginapats.com/uploads/assets/WHL_REGINA_EN_SITE/SplashPages/2014_Blue_and_White_Game_Roster.pdf

nivek_wahs
08-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Smith's case of mono may end up hurting him to make this roster but he is miles ahead of every other 16 year old not named Steel.You must have received some bad info (or presumptuous info). He's on the roster for the Blue and White Game #26 White.

patsdude114
08-25-2014, 02:50 PM
You must have received some bad info (or presumptuous info). He's on the roster for the Blue and White Game #26 White.

That's good I got the info from Larry Steel, he said he was told by Luc's dad that he was taken to hospital as a precautionary for a potential mono case. Its why he didn't take part in main camp but it appears he may not have any more symptoms which is great for him and the Pats

nivek_wahs
08-25-2014, 02:54 PM
That's good I got the info from Larry Steel, he said he was told by Luc's dad that he was taken to hospital as a precautionary for a potential mono case. Its why he didn't take part in main camp but it appears he may not have any more symptoms which is great for him and the PatsIt's all good. He's back and they seem to have figured out what was going on.

nivek_wahs
08-25-2014, 02:58 PM
Updated Roster for those interested:

REGINA PATS
Main Camp Roster By My Count
as of August 25, 2014

Goaltenders (5)
Name Ht Wt Hometown Age Last year Stats
Kurtis Chapman 6’1 166 Airdrie 16 midget 20 GP, 2.30 GAA, 2 SOs
Tyler Fuhr 6’1 167 St. Albert, AB 19 La Ronge (Jr. A) 38 GP, 3.68 GAA, 0 SOs
Jordan Hollett 6’3 176 Langley, BC 15 bantam 30 GP, 1.75 GAA, 6 SOs
Dawson MacAuley 6’5 212 Prince Albert 20 Pats 50 GP, 3.24 GAA, 4 SOs
Daniel Wapple 5’11 170 Saskatoon 19 Pats/Tigers 43 GP, 2.90 GAA, 3 SOs

Defencemen (14)
Riley Bruce 5’11 156 Winnipeg 15 bantam 28 GP, 6-17-23, 165 PM
Kyle Burroughs 5’11 173 Langley, B.C. 19 Pats 58 GP, 8-32-40, 72 PM
Garrett Ewert 6’2 165 Kamloops 15 bantam 49 GP, 2-8-10, 72 PM
Chase Harrison 5’11 155 Winnipeg 18 Pats 42 GP, 0-8-8, 14 PM
James Hilsendager 6’0 170 Lloydminster 17 Loyd (mid. AAA) 33 GP, 3-11-14, 76 PM
Brendan Kallis 6’0 155 St. Albert 17 St. Albert (midget AAA) 34 GP, 3-5-8, 59 PM
Ryan Krushen 6’2 168 Sherwood Park 16 midget 37 GP, 4-12-16, 48 PM
William Lovell 6’2 188 Manitou, MB 16 midget 42 GP, 2-7-9, 8 PM
Brady Pouteau 6’2 186 Oak Bluff, MB 16 midget 40 GP, 4-10-14, 16 PM
Brady Reagan 6’3 200 Calgary 17 Pats 27 GP, 0-2-2, 20 PM
Adam Sandstrom 6’2 162 Red Deer 15 bantam 33 GP, 4-14-18, 50 PM
Isaac Schacher 6’4 214 Kimberley, BC 19 Pats/Royals 60 GP, 1-8-9, 48 PM
Colby Williams 5’11 180 Regina 19 Pats 66 GP, 9-23-32, 82 PM
Sergey Zborovsky 6’5 194 Moscow 17 Russia (U18) 27 GP, 6-10-16

Forwards (28)
Adam Berg 6’0 170 Okotoks, AB 17 Calgary (midget AAA) 30 GP, 5-6-11, 40 PM
Adam Brooks 5’10 160 Winnipeg 18 Pats 55 GP, 4-8-12, 13 PM
Braden Christoffer 5’10 185 Sherwood Park 20 Pats 61 GP, 13-22-35, 130 PM
Rykr Cole 5’10 169 Moosomin 17 Moose Jaw (midget AAA) 41 GP, 23-22-45, 75 PM
Patrick D’Amico 6’0 200 Winnipeg 20 Pats 48 GP, 6-18-24, 42 PM
Darcy DeRoose 6’3 195 Ceylon 19 Everett (WHL) 38 GP, 1-8-9, 60 PM
Jacob Elmer 6’1 152 Calgary 16 prep 52 GP, 37-34-71, 24 PM
Erik Gardiner 6’0 165 Humboldt 15 bantam 31 GP, 24-37-61, 48 PM
Connor Gay 6’0 185 Saskatoon 19 Pats 61 GP, 19-24-43, 25 PM
Gary Haden 5’10 148 Airdrie, AB 15 bantam 33 GP, 39-31-70, 42 PM
Carter Hansen 6’2 195 Craven 19 Pats 70 GP, 8-3-11, 38 PM
Dryden Hunt 5’10 175 Nelson, BC 19 Pats 62 GP, 21-19-40, 64 PM
Max Kammerer 6’0 175 Dusseldorf, Ger. 18 Pats 40 GP, 1-2-3, 14 PM
Morgan Klimchuk 5’11 180 Calgary 19 Pats 57 GP, 30-44-74, 27 PM
Colton Kroeker 6’1 155 Surrey, BC 17 Delta (prep) 28 GP, 24-34-58, 24 PM
Jared McAmmond 6’0 185 Grand Prairie 17 G.P. (midget AAA) 35 GP, 12-5-17, 14 PM
Logan McVeigh 6’0 185 Kenaston 20 Pats/Tigers 67 GP, 11-15-26, 17 PM
Bryar Ortynski 6’2 180 Edmonton 18 Sherwood Park (Jr. A) 49 GP, 6-0-6, 2 PM
Dane Schioler 6’0 160 Winnipeg 18 Portage (Jr. A) 44 GP, 12-13-25, 90 PM
Luc Smith 6’5 202 Onoway, AB 16 midget 35 GP, 7-3-10, 28 PM
Sam Steel 6’0 167 Sherwood Park 16 midget 14 GP, 7-16-23, 8 PM
Chandler Stephenson 5’11 190 Saskatoon 20 Pats 69 GP, 30-59-89, 27 PM
Brady Third 6’1 167 Carlyle 16 midget 42 GP, 4-7-11, 32 PM
Austin Wagner 6’1 171 Calgary 17 Pats 42 GP, 1-1-2, 18 PM
Earl Webb 6’3 210 Calgary 18 Mustangs (AJHL) 28 GP, 2-0-2, 30 PM
Kyle Westeringh 5’11 182 Chilliwack, BC 17 Chiefs (Jr. A) 55 GP, 10-9-19, 66 PM
Riley Woods 5’7 133 Regina 16 midget 34 GP, 26-32-58, 8 PM
Rylee Zimmer 6’1 158 Russell, MB 17 Pats 44 GP, 0-0-0, 8 PM

nivek_wahs
08-25-2014, 06:29 PM
It's all good. He's back and they seem to have figured out what was going on. Or maybe not. He's not in the warm up.

patsdude114
08-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes I noticed that as well that he wasn't out for the warm ups ha I guess my info was correct....... My fav saying applies here :)

The sun shines on a dogs a*s once in awhile

I was kind of surprised Freadrich was not part of the inter squad game I thought he was very steady and moved the pick well during main camp. Thought he was better then Lovell and Pouteau but I guess their size compared to Freadrichs wins

I don't see us making many cuts after this game tonight besides sending home all the 99's besides Hollett and possibly Gardiner. With the tournament this weekend 3 games in 3 nights I can see them using as many players as possible especially all the 97's

chopper
08-25-2014, 10:42 PM
It was worth the 2 bucks I spent. Steel is quite impressive as expected. It went more or less as you would expect a blue/white game to go. People behind me from Alberta were discussing the Freadrich kid. Sounds like there is a bitter kid and even more so parents.

Wagner looks like a horse out there, even bigger and faster than last year. Talking with a couple folks I knew there, I learned that size with skill is the word for this years team. There will be surprises and I think we may be close to seeing some deals made.

Round'the'Rink
08-26-2014, 12:28 AM
It was worth the 2 bucks I spent. Steel is quite impressive as expected. It went more or less as you would expect a blue/white game to go. People behind me from Alberta were discussing the Freadrich kid. Sounds like there is a bitter kid and even more so parents.

Wagner looks like a horse out there, even bigger and faster than last year. Talking with a couple folks I knew there, I learned that size with skill is the word for this years team. There will be surprises and I think we may be close to seeing some deals made.

I watched most of the camp and the final game of camp and was around all week. Steel will contribute more than most 16 year olds but when teams focus on him it will get tough for him. The Pats better get a couple policemen forwards.

Wagner is a horse and will have a strong year. Macammond has a shot also as I thought he played well. Hilsendager is strong and aggressive but not real smart with the puck. Krushen played well all week for not playing major midget last winter. Big kid but lacks some skill and puck handling skills. Gay looks good and will fit nice with Steel.

Chopper, Big and skilled is the word for most teams but just not a bunch of them around. Big and non skilled doesn't work near as good as smaller and skilled.

Fredrich one of the most skilled dmen on the ice and they cut him loose. He will play Jr.A I would think and never look back.

The team will change through out the year and hopefully wake up and do the right thing.

chopper
08-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Welcome Roundtherink! From what I overheard the consternation surrounding Freadrich was that three 99 d-men who can't play here this year were kept on, and he was not. One of them Bruce is only 5'11" as he is. Bruce wasn't overly impressive in camp.

Hopefully Freadrich grows and inch or two and comes back blazing next year. With his skill set he could easily look at the Tier 2 and NCAA route. For the Pats sake I hope he doesn't but it is a viable option for a player with his skill set.

The Pats heading in the right direction with their size and skill up front. Kroeker, Elmer, Smith all have a good shot at this team. Webb and DeRoose have shown well. I agree that Steel will get more attention as time goes on and he is our most talented smaller guy.

Last year in the 1st round there is little doubt that our goaltending failed us. However Brandon's size particularly on the back end was also a problem. To be a smaller guy you have to be very talented and a lot of our smaller forwards are not as talented as Steel.

I think we could be bigger but younger and I agree we need a couple policemen. I have always felt that way. The big thing is this team won't be the same by Christmas time. Trades and acquisitions will take place and they will mold it into what they want.

sbtatter
08-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Is Steel looking to be as dynamic a player as Eberle and Weal?
If you guys had to name the 6 starting dmen right now, who would you pick?

crashnbang
08-26-2014, 10:46 AM
I see your (crashnbang) a stat guy and nothing more...... I feel sorry for you not being able to see Smith's talents. A lot of the so called 'point guys' are too afraid to get their nose dirty and go work for a puck. I'm sure your leaning towards keeping Sillinger over Smith just cause Sillinger is scoring goals against walk in Dmen who don't even belong to be the water boys in the WHL

Smith's case of mono may end up hurting him to make this roster but he is miles ahead of every other 16 year old not named Steel.

Label me as a stats guy if you like - I'm confident in recognizing good players in a variety of ways and stats do contribute to doing so in many cases - I'm not here to debate who is the expert at discovering good players. Fact is that the Pats lost 3 talented players who contributed 101 goals and one D-man that scored 10 so stats should likely be a part of the focus, I don't care if you are 6'5", if you scored 7 goals in AAA midget as a 16 yr old, chances are you are not ready for the WHL. That doesn't mean next year Smith won't be ready, Smith has great potential but no point in riding the pine this year. The Blue n' White game last night was decent - a little scrambly at times, Wagner still looking very good, I can't believe we will waste a spot on a very timid Max Kammerer again, he can skate but I just don't see him compete like several Canadian kids that would do a much better job in my opinion. Steel with a great game, line of Brooks, Cole and Hunt also found some chemistry but just couldn't finish on their chances, Cole had a nice burst of speed on his goal - anyone know who the D-man was he went by on that rush? MacAuley will likely be dealt or released as I can't see a 20 year old spot being used up by a backup goalie.

Thatshockey1965
08-26-2014, 11:11 AM
I disagree that Smith is ahead of everyone besides Steel. Elmer has the speed to play and he has the size, just not the weight yet. Smith cant skate at this level yet, Elmer can. Is it better for them to go back vs riding the pine? Well I think that is a club/player development philosophy.

Do you think that they can get anything for a 20 year old backup goalie. He is fully capable of starting for many clubs, but who again wants a starting 20 year old goalie unless you are a contending team, and generally they already have a older starter.

I like Webb. Big strong and can skate with puck sense. Does he take a vets spot? He has WHL experience be it 15 odd games. Could be a good 4th liner.
Cole and Berg can definitely skate in the league. What about Deroose? WHL experience again, good size and fighting Reagan he can play with the big guys.

chopper
08-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Smith's skating has improved a great deal since last camp. He has leadership and toughness qualities none of the other 16 year olds have. I expect by the time he is in his 18 year old season he will be the Pats captain. There is something wrong with him and he hasn't played the last few days. You can't coach 6'5" centres to be that big. The Pats will give him every chance to be on this team. His health is only thing that could hold him back. Don't let 7 goals fool you. He was rookie in Midget last year and played really well for his team. He got better as the year wore on and was one of his teams best players in the playoffs when the going got tough. Ask Steel who knocked their high octane team out of the playoffs.

Hunt, Christopher, Brooks, Kilmchuk, Williams, Burroughs are all under 6' tall so I don't anticipate too many more smaller guys to make this team. We are already getting too small so probably Cole is the only one. That may mean that one of the aforementioned may have to go i.e. Brooks.

Burroughs, Reagan, Zabrovsky, Williams, Schacher, Harrison would appear to be the top 6 d-men. The Pats typically keep 7 so that doesn't provide much in the way of openings. That is unless they move one or two of the vets.

Klimchuck, Hunt, Christopher, Gay, Brooks, Kammerer, D'Amico, Wagner, Zimmer, Hanson, McVeigh are the 11 returning forwards. After you pencil in Steel it only leaves a couple forward spots available, if that. That's why I say they will need to move some guys if they want to bring some of the young talent along. IMO and only my opinion I see Brooks, Kammerer, D'Amico, and Hansen possibly on the bubble.

I expect a lot of changes in the next month or so.

nivek_wahs
08-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Burroughs, Reagan, Zabrovsky, Williams, Schacher, Harrison would appear to be the top 6 d-men. The Pats typically keep 7 so that doesn't provide much in the way of openings. That is unless they move one or two of the vets.I see a small problem with that top 6..... 5 of them are right handed shots.... not that many teams carry that many righties. I would have to agree that there will be some changes soon.

crashnbang
08-26-2014, 12:57 PM
IMO and only my opinion I see Brooks, Kammerer, D'Amico, and Hansen possibly on the bubble.

I expect a lot of changes in the next month or so.

I'd add Zimmer to your bubble list.

chopper
08-26-2014, 01:51 PM
I see a small problem with that top 6..... 5 of them are right handed shots.... not that many teams carry that many righties. I would have to agree that there will be some changes soon.

Kevin your absolutely correct about that. With neither Mumby nor Hand back the lefties dried up. It puts young Poteau and Hilsendager in a good spot from the shot perspective. They will address it internally or externally. Notwithstanding the returnees they have I still feel they are missing a hard rock, drop your mitts kind of d-man. If young Bruce can grow a few inches and gain some size he has the temperament to be that type of player down the road.

sbtatter
08-26-2014, 01:58 PM
Kevin your absolutely correct about that. With neither Mumby nor Hand back the lefties dried up. It puts young Poteau and Hilsendager in a good spot from the shot perspective. They will address it internally or externally. Notwithstanding the returnees they have I still feel they are missing a hard rock, drop your mitts kind of d-man. If young Bruce can grow a few inches and gain some size he has the temperament to be that type of player down the road.

You need another Teubert (as do all teams!). Excellent junior player who likes to look after his team. Bdn had Chad Erb who played the same role, obviously at a lower skill level

patsdude114
08-26-2014, 03:58 PM
For me there were way to many 17yr old kids that were much better then Brooks, I really cant see Brooks making this team no matter what he did during training camp. Guys like Cole, Berg, Kroeker, McAmmond, Westeringh (18yrs old) I all thought were better then Brooks. Im not even certain if Zimmer has a spot on this roster as those same 17yr old listed above were all better then Zimmer as well.

We basically have 3 roster spots available for this year after 5 players graduated. the (3) 20yr old spots from last year are whats open for new players as you can basically swap Steel for Stephenson & Zborovsky for Sinitsyn. I don't think Brooks roster spot is safe at all, he just doesn't bring enough to stick around as a 18yr old, especially when we have so many quality 17yr olds waiting to crack this roster. If nothing else I would be in favour of dropping Brooks and adding the likes of Webb or DeRoose into the roster and get bigger upfront. If DeRoose is willing to drop the mitts somewhat frequently I would take him over Hansen as well, as Hansen could get us a mid draft pick (5th or 6th)

I wont be surprised one bit if Fuhr is our backup this year either. I like Chapman a lot but he is just not elite enough to be a 16yr old goalie. We already sent Brown home so that shows he is not ready either, although it may not be ideal to have (2) 19yr old goalies I believe it is in our best interest as Fuhr is the next best goalie who is of age to play this year. Hollett is by far the 2nd best goalie in camp but due to his 15yr old age is unable to play. If by some miracle Chapman shows he is ready during the preseason then by all means keep him around but as of right now I just don't see it.

With Burroughs and Hunt joining Klimchuk at NHL training camps we will keep a couple extra skaters then normal after this weekends preseason tournament. This is how my roster would look just from how the training camp went (going off 15fwd 8 Dmen our final roster numbers last year not including Hand)

Goalies
Wapple 19
Fuhr 19

Defensemen
Burroughs 19
Williams 19
Schacher 19
Harrison 18
Reagan 17
Zborovsky 17
Hilsendager 17
Pouteau 16

Forwards
Christoffer 20
D'Amico 20
McVeigh 20
Klimchuk 19
Gay 19
Hunt 19
DeRoose 19 or Hansen 19
Webb 18
Kammerer 18
Cole 17
Wagner 17
Kroeker 17
McAmmond 17
Steel 16
Smith 16
Elmer 16

I listed 16 forwards cause I really don't want to see Kammerer on the roster but I think being a euro and already here he will be given a roster spot. I would like to fit Berg in the top 15 forwards as well but unless a trade happens to free up a roster spot he may be the odd man out.

patsdude114
08-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Here are the links to Darcy DeRoose 3 fights last year during his 35 games with EVT

Evan Wardley vs Darcy DeRoose
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/121069

Darcy DeRoose vs Keegan Iverson
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/121930

Colton Bobyk vs Darcy DeRoose
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/122076

3 pretty good fights for him... 1 fight standing up for a teammate and the other 2 just standing up for himself. With his size im not sure how we can not take a serious look at him as we have zero toughness on this team after Christoffer and at his size he doesn't scare many.

nivek_wahs
08-26-2014, 04:21 PM
Goalies
Wapple 19
Fuhr 19

Defensemen
Burroughs 19
Williams 19
Schacher 19
Harrison 18
Reagan 17
Zborovsky 17
Hilsendager 17
Pouteau 16

Forwards
Christoffer 20
D'Amico 20
McVeigh 20
Klimchuk 19
Gay 19
Hunt 19
DeRoose 19 or Hansen 19
Webb 18
Kammerer 18
Cole 17
Wagner 17
Kroeker 17
McAmmond 17
Steel 16
Smith 16
Elmer 16
From the sounds of things and from what I understand, the Pats are planning on going younger. In your scenario there are nine 19 year olds and I don't see that happening. I'm not going to guess as to what the team will actually look like, but 9 seems kinda high. The Pats only had six last year. They have some choices to make.

patsdude114
08-26-2014, 04:53 PM
From the sounds of things and from what I understand, the Pats are planning on going younger. In your scenario there are nine 19 year olds and I don't see that happening. I'm not going to guess as to what the team will actually look like, but 9 seems kinda high. The Pats only had six last year. They have some choices to make.

The goalies are kind of a moot point though as goalies always tend to be older and there is no goalie in our system who is really ready to be a backup besides Hollett but he is unable to play. I like Chapman a lot but I just don't think he is ready for the WHL yet, he doesn't cover a lot of the net and he plays pretty deep in his net. Once the vets started to get him moving side to side they had a lot to shoot at

The roster is just mainly based on who was at our camp, I fully expect some trades to happen and I would expect a 19yr old most likely a Dman to be traded and/or a forward as well to free up a spot. I can not predict trades all I can do is try to predict the roster from the players available.

But with that said we lack the 18yr olds so having an addition 19yr old or 2 doesn't really hurt us. I really don't want to see us as young as MJ was last year as they will be a very painful season for everyone involved. I want us to be younger but I also want to see the right mix of player age groups too

chopper
08-26-2014, 06:59 PM
The Pats need to ice a team this season which will be a springboard to excellence in the years that follow. I expect we will need to go a bit on the younger side, and yes we may have to take a few lumps such as MJ did last. At some point you need to bring 4 to 6 rookies in at the same time so that you have something to build on the following year. The trick is to ensure you have enough toughness on the ice at any time to look after the younger guys.

I like our 20 yr olds but I'm not convinced they're the right 20 yr olds for what we may ice, and what we are trying to accomplish. You know that one of the three we have wouldn't have made it if Sinitsyn was back. Should one of those spots be awarded by default?

Depending on what they bring and how they produce anywhere between 1 to 3 could be replaced. We have two similar 19 yr old d-men in Burroughs and Williams. We may start the draft pick recovery process because heaven knows we need to.

Williams(19) could be moved to obtain deficient draft picks or perhaps a policeman type guy to look after these young fellows. Although I like a lot of what Hansen(19) does, he might be moved sooner than later. If he were to come back and make the Pats as a 20 yr old, we would owe MJ another draft pick. IMO we already paid too much to get him. It would be easier to move him as a 19 yr old now than next year as a 20 yr old. There are 17 or 18 yr olds who could easily do the same job.

I concur with most that we have a talented group of 16 and 17 year olds. Now is the time to start the re-tooling process, and now is when they should be cutting their teeth. I don't want to be doing this again next year so lets be proactive.

patsdude114
08-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I like our 20 yr olds but I'm not convinced they're the right 20 yr olds for what we may ice, and what we are trying to accomplish. You know that one of the three we have wouldn't have made it if Sinitsyn was back. Should one of those spots be awarded by default?

I agree that 1 shouldn't get these spots by default but is there going to be an upgrade out there and/or would it be worth putting a younger guy in the lineup who may not be ready just yet... we can look back at Ortynski as a guy who wasn't ready and it may of ruined him as a player.

Depending on what they bring and how they produce anywhere between 1 to 3 could be replaced. We have two similar 19 yr old d-men in Burroughs and Williams. We may start the draft pick recovery process because heaven knows we need to.

Honestly the Williams Burroughs is a tough situation in how you want to go, Burroughs would bring back more of a better pick/player and Burroughs will not be back as a 20yr old where Williams wont have the same trade value and will be back as a 20yr old Dman

Williams(19) could be moved to obtain deficient draft picks or perhaps a policeman type guy to look after these young fellows. Although I like a lot of what Hansen(19) does, he might be moved sooner than later. If he were to come back and make the Pats as a 20 yr old, we would owe MJ another draft pick. IMO we already paid too much to get him. It would be easier to move him as a 19 yr old now than next year as a 20 yr old. There are 17 or 18 yr olds who could easily do the same job.

I agree Hansen needs to be moved this year and I think the sooner the better, yes he is a big body but doesn't skate that great and not that physical and not tough at all.

I concur with most that we have a talented group of 16 and 17 year olds. Now is the time to start the re-tooling process, and now is when they should be cutting their teeth. I don't want to be doing this again next year so lets be proactive.

Im not fully against going all out youth but with that said its a fine line too, the youth need to be ready for this level just having them on the roster just for the sake of doing it is not the answer either

chopper
08-26-2014, 09:37 PM
I agree that 1 shouldn't get these spots by default but is there going to be an upgrade out there and/or would it be worth putting a younger guy in the lineup who may not be ready just yet... we can look back at Ortynski as a guy who wasn't ready and it may of ruined him as a player

Im not fully against going all out youth but with that said its a fine line too, the youth need to be ready for this level just having them on the roster just for the sake of doing it is not the answer either

I didn't say anything about replacing these guys with younger guys. I don't think you fully understood what I was saying. Depending on the team they select the 20 yr olds may not be the right ones. If we go quite young perhaps a rugged forward to look after our younger guys is more important than an enigmatic McVeigh. Perhaps a rugged d-man is more important than a role player like D'Amico who likely won't be higher than a 3rd liner. A 20 yr old 3rd liner?? Christopher is a little on the small side but is quite gritty and has some offensive upside. He is a gamer. If they go with an older squad the dynamics change again.

When you look at the talent and size of the younger guys it's quite enlightening. A large number of our returning vets can best be described as journeymen vets. Their skill sets fall into the mediocre calibre. Last year MJ struggled a bit but look at them this year. They have a bunch of young guys who are now seasoned with talent to boot. MJ is is going to have a big, tough and talented team this year. They will be well in the mix and are going to surprise a lot of teams. Talent wise I don't think any of the possible young guys we could select will hurt the Pats.

patsdude114
08-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Chopper I knew what you were getting at I was just chiming in was all, I want to see younger players on the roster too but it is a fine line of having them on the roster compared to if they are ready or not. If we drop a 20yr old chances are it will be for a younger guy to stick around, which isn't a bad thing by any means just as long as he is ready for this level.

Like I said before we lack 18yr olds who are worth anything so having an additional 19yr old (or 2 of them) can fit into the numbers. I for one could careless if Brooks or Kammerer are on the team. Westerlingh is a better fit the Brooks but I'd rather see an additional 17yr old instead. If we want a bigger team then DeRoose and Webb should be locks as they were the biggest guys on the ice on forward.

I think Berg and Zimmer have slot to prove still, they were both noticeable during the 3 team scrimmages but during the inter squad game they were both invisible. Unless they pick it up during the preseason tournament they should both be reassigned to Jr. A after.

chopper
08-26-2014, 11:19 PM
Chopper I knew what you were getting at I was just chiming in was all, I want to see younger players on the roster too but it is a fine line of having them on the roster compared to if they are ready or not. If we drop a 20yr old chances are it will be for a younger guy to stick around, which isn't a bad thing by any means just as long as he is ready for this level.

Like I said before we lack 18yr olds who are worth anything so having an additional 19yr old (or 2 of them) can fit into the numbers. I for one could careless if Brooks or Kammerer are on the team. Westerlingh is a better fit the Brooks but I'd rather see an additional 17yr old instead. If we want a bigger team then DeRoose and Webb should be locks as they were the biggest guys on the ice on forward.

I think Berg and Zimmer have slot to prove still, they were both noticeable during the 3 team scrimmages but during the inter squad game they were both invisible. Unless they pick it up during the preseason tournament they should both be reassigned to Jr. A after.

:) I know!

I like your posting of DeRoose fights. At least he not "scared" to go. He even scored in the Blue/white game. It may be a while before we find a Dyson Stevenson with 30+ goals and over 100 pim. Like Don Cherry says he was beauty.

Based on where we are now I would say Klimchuk, Gay, Steel, Hunt, Christopher , McVeigh are our top 6 forwards. That basically means everyone else is fighting for the next 6 spots. Wagner will be here but after that it gets mirky to say the least.

If you consider Kroeker, Cole, Elmer, Smith to be good prospects it gets dicey. Then there is Westeringh, DeRoose, Webb and Mcammond who have all shown different things. Where does that leave Brooks, Kammerer, Hanson and D'Amico?

Tough decisions ahead for the coach. I think they better start trying to cobble together some deals to help alleviate the situation.

patsdude114
08-27-2014, 09:14 AM
I think if Kammerer doesn't show any signs of a scoring touch in the preseason you have to release him cause we have too many 17yr olds that can fill his shoes and bring more of a physical presence. I'm someone that always supported Kammerer as there is a big learning curve for those euros when they come over but it's now time to show something or just cut your ties.

Brooks I really don't see him sticking as said before too many quality 17yr olds waiting for a chance, hell Elmer and Smith bring more then Brooks does and they are 2yrs younger.

I'm on the fence about Zimmer to me he was invisible at camp especially at the inter squad game. He's in that 17yr old age group but I think he's more so on the bottom part of the list then the top part.

With a new coaching staff these players don't get that 'likeable' status from the old coaching staff. It's all about impressing the new staff and I just think they haven't showed enough (yet) to be considered.

chopper
08-27-2014, 10:22 AM
I try to be mindful that these are young men and in some cases a long way from home. However in Kammerer's case I just didn't see enough last season and quite frankly not enough in training camp. That's with him playing a lot of shifts against 15-16 year olds. I think there may be better options out there particularly since we don't how Zabrovsky will turn out, since he will be a rookie this year. I still think we need to upgrade our back end with a rugged tough to play against type. We are still pretty young back there.

I was reading on the Edmonton blog that they have too many imports and that the likes of Kulda might be available as a 20 year old import. As much as I like D'Amico I think Kulda would be an upgrade. But I do agree we shouldn't send a 17 home in favour of Max.

We traded Rodewald, and a cond 16 for Hansen. If he were play as an overage we would owe MJ another pick as well. IMO I believe he could be moved in favour of DeRoose who would provide some of what we need. Webb would be a better fit than Brooks. There are a lot of 20 year olds out there this year so I'm thinking D'Amico's situation could be tenuous at best. I think better import options will emerge. I don't think our defence that is young, is fully set for the upcoming season.

crashnbang
08-27-2014, 10:46 AM
I try to be mindful that these are young men and in some cases a long way from home. However in Kammerer's case I just didn't see enough last season and quite frankly not enough in training camp. That's with him playing a lot of shifts against 15-16 year olds. I think there may be better options out there particularly since we don't how Zabrovsky will turn out, since he will be a rookie this year. I still think we need to upgrade our back end with a rugged tough to play against type. We are still pretty young back there.

I was reading on the Edmonton blog that they have too many imports and that the likes of Kulda might be available as a 20 year old import. As much as I like D'Amico I think Kulda would be an upgrade. But I do agree we shouldn't send a 17 home in favour of Max.

We traded Rodewald, and a cond 16 for Hansen. If he were play as an overage we would owe MJ another pick as well. IMO I believe he could be moved in favour of DeRoose who would provide some of what we need. Webb would be a better fit than Brooks. There are a lot of 20 year olds out there this year so I'm thinking D'Amico's situation could be tenuous at best. I think better import options will emerge. I don't think our defence that is young, is fully set for the upcoming season.

Boy would it be nice to have Rodewald and a pick back instead of Hansen. I look forward to seeing Thursday's roster and who's still around after that game.

patsdude114
08-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Boy would it be nice to have Rodewald and a pick back instead of Hansen. I look forward to seeing Thursday's roster and who's still around after that game.

Paddock had said they will be bringing basically everyone from the inter squad game except the younger guys (my assuming is the only 15yr old is Hollett and most 16s will be available too), Paddock also said most will play in 2 of the 3 games with the odd in all 3

patsdude114
08-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats Hockey Club announced today the signing of four prospects. The Pats inked forward Kyle Westeringh and defencemen James Hilsendager, Brady Pouteau and Ryan Krushen to Standard WHL Player Agreements.

Kyle Westeringh (6’0”, 188 lbs, ’96) played with the Chilliwack Chiefs of the BCHL last season. He played in 55 games as a rookie and picked up 19 points (10G, 9A) and 66 penalty minutes. In his final season of midget hockey in 2012-13, Westeringh totaled 20 points (11G, 9A) in 25 games. Westeringh was listed by the Blue and White in 2012.

James Hilsendager (6’1”, 196 lbs, ’97) suited up for the Lloydminster Bobcats in the AMHL last season where he tallied 14 points (3G, 11A) in 33 games to go with 76 penalty minutes. Over the past two seasons, Hilsendager has also earned call-ups to the AJHL’s Lloydminster Bobcats having played five games in Junior-A, four last season. The Lloydminster native was the Pats 9th Round pick (187th Overall) in the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft.

Brady Pouteau (6’2”, 186 lbs, ’98) skated with the MMHL’s Pembina Valley Hawks last season. In his rookie year, Pouteau put up 14 points (4G, 10A) and 16 penalty minutes in 40 games. Pouteau was a 4th Round pick (79th Overall) of the Pats in the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft after he had 16 points and 36 penalty minutes over 30 games in Bantam AAA in 2012-13.

Ryan Krushen (6’2”, 168 lbs, ’98) was a member of the Sherwood Spark Squires of the AMMHL last season. In Krushen’s first season of midget hockey, he notched 16 points (4G, 12A). A teammate of Sam Steel in Bantam AAA, Krushen was listed by the Pats following a 21 point season in the AMBHL and a strong showing at 2013 Regina Pats Training Camp.

The Blue and White carry forward 37 players onto their roster for the Extreme Hockey Pre-Season Tournament.

The Regina Pats open the Extreme Hockey Pre-Season Tournament Thursday night against the Moose Jaw Warriors at the Cooperators Centre. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Daniel Fink

Director Media and Communications

Regina Pats Hockey Club

RWAH
08-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Just talked to the Pat office. These tournament games are NOT included with the season tickets and the admission price is $5.00 a game or 5 admissions for $20.00.
The Brandon and PA preseason games are included in the season ticket package.

nivek_wahs
08-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Just talked to the Pat office. These tournament games are NOT included with the season tickets and the admission price is $5.00 a game or 5 admissions for $20.00.
The Brandon and PA preseason games are included in the season ticket package.That information is here: http://reginapats.com/article/extreme-hockey-pre-season-tournament-opens-thursday

The Presser:

For Immediate Release
August 27, 2014

Extreme Hockey Pre-Season Tournament
Opens Thursday Night

Regina, Saskatchewan – The Regina Pats Hockey Club is proud to host the Extreme Hockey Pre-Season Tournament opening Thursday night and running through Saturday at the Cooperators Centre.

Single game tickets are $5 each and available at the doors starting one hour prior to puck drop. A tournament package is available for just $20 and includes access to all five games of the tournament. Tournament Passes are available at the Pats Office, Extreme Hockey and Sport (1425 McIntyre St) or at the doors ahead of the Pats’ first game of the tournament against Moose Jaw.

Teams attending the Extreme Hockey Pre-Season Tournament include the Moose Jaw Warriors, Calgary Hitmen, Prince Albert Raiders and Lethbridge Hurricanes.

“We are looking forward to hosting a WHL Pre-Season Tournament,” said Regina Pats Senior VP Chad Lang. “This will be a great opportunity for our fans and sponsors to take in exciting WHL hockey. We want to thank the Western Hockey League, our tournament sponsor Extreme Hockey and building partner Evraz Place along with Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, Calgary and Lethbridge for their support and cooperation to make this event happen.”

Extreme Hockey Regina Pats Pre-Season Tournament Schedule

Thursday, August 28th - Pats vs Moose Jaw - 7:00pm
Friday, August 29th - Lethbridge vs Prince Albert - 3:00pm
Friday, August 29th - Pats vs Calgary - 7:00pm
Saturday, August 30th - Prince Albert vs Calgary - 3:00pm
Saturday, August 30th - Pats vs Lethbridge - 7:00pm

Programs including rosters for each game are available at the doors free of charge (while supplies last).

Tickets for the Extreme Hockey Pre-Season Tournament are not included with the Season Ticket Holder booklet. The Pats exhibition games scheduled for September 6th against Brandon and September 10th against Prince Albert at the Cooperators Centre are included with the booklets which will be available for pickup next week at a date to be announced.

-30-

patsdude114
08-27-2014, 01:49 PM
It's odd that they actually include MJ in te tournament as they only play 1 game where everyone else plays at least 2 besides our pats who play 3 games.

I will be purchasing the 5 game pack the only game I may not attend is te Friday afternoon game but I'm sure I could catch the 3rd period of it regardless of how work goes.

RWAH
08-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks Kevin: but when I checked the Pats site this morning that info was not on the site.

On the Roldwald Hanson trade could the conditional pick we give up dependant on Rowdwald playing his 20 season. that makes more sense to me as MJ gets 2 seasons and the Pats get 2 or 3 seasons from the respective players. I could be way off base but I did not see what the conditions are.

patsdude114
08-27-2014, 02:04 PM
It was a conditional pick from the Pats to MJ if Hansen played in the league/team as a 20yr old. I'm pretty sure it was just if he played for us as a 20yr old though.

They were viewed as the same type of player when the trade happened as Rodewald never put up much for numbers as an 18yr old for us

crashnbang
08-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Can anyone get hands on a roster for tonight's game vs MJ?

dsquared
08-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Just looking at the Pats Rostter and noticed that they have Brooks playing D. Is this an attempt to get more lefties at the point?

nivek_wahs
08-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Just looking at the Pats Rostter and noticed that they have Brooks playing D. Is this an attempt to get more lefties at the point?I'm thinking it's a typo. He's been at center all camp.

nivek_wahs
08-28-2014, 03:16 PM
Pats preseason roster can be found on their site: http://reginapats.com/roster/index/team/26/season/last

There are a few without sweater numbers and I don't think that matters as it is preseason and I believe there is a typo with Brooks listed as a D.

Edit: Brooks isn't a D, it's a typo that has been corrected.

patsdude114
08-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Hour and a half til game time....... Can't wait any longer it's been a long summer (again)

I'm looking to see DeRoose fight this evening at some point, I think the ony way he truly is considered for te team is if he shows a willingness to drop the mitts. He needs to show he is willing to do more the Hansen and I think the job is his over Hansen

chopper
08-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Keep me informed boys. Not having a great day not feeling well. Let me know the down low. I'm going to try to get to at least on game but that's depending. I've been reading Lethbridge has some big boys so that may be a game worth seeing. Bellerive and Franklin appear to be their top young guys but I'm not sure if they have either signed so we may not see them.

patsdude114
08-28-2014, 08:31 PM
I'm not one to usually show sympathy to the Warriors but I really don't get why on earth you would dress (4) 18yr olds and the rest 16 & 17 rookies. Shots are 47-21 for the Pats after 2 periods, it's not even fun to watch and how on earth do you evaluate players when your always playing defense.

Rookie mistake for Hunter? I mean yes I know it's preseason and it doesn't mean a damn thing but you can tell the Warrior players are not enjoying the game by any means.

sbtatter
08-28-2014, 09:38 PM
I'm not one to usually show sympathy to the Warriors but I really don't get why on earth you would dress (4) 18yr olds and the rest 16 & 17 rookies. Shots are 47-21 for the Pats after 2 periods, it's not even fun to watch and how on earth do you evaluate players when your always playing defense.

Rookie mistake for Hunter? I mean yes I know it's preseason and it doesn't mean a damn thing but you can tell the Warrior players are not enjoying the game by any means.

They left the goalie in for the whole games as well, ouch.....

Bighat
08-28-2014, 09:42 PM
We didn't dress many vets either I see. 10 rookies, looks like the future looks bright. Tomorrow should be a more veteran lineup. I have no sympathy for mj at any time.

Thatshockey1965
08-28-2014, 09:52 PM
So who stood out? Probably hard to say as it looked like a mismatch. Who didn't?

RWAH
08-28-2014, 10:05 PM
And why, when you play such a young team, up by 5 or 6 or 7, you don't miss a few first line shifts. Pretty sure Gay, Christoffer and Steele have made the team.
Wagner speed and he uses his size well, if he gets on a decent line he could be a 40 or even 50 goal player. That may be next season, but is promising.
Ryker Cole had 4 or 5 big hits, lets hope he keeps it up against an older line up. (note) 2 of the hits were on the 18s that MJ had dressed.
All in all, can't put much stock in this games evaluation.

chopper
08-29-2014, 12:18 AM
It sounds as if MJ dressed an exceedingly young lineup tonight. I agree with most that the young guys are the future, however we can't read much into the score when the lineups are so distorted. Point and others will score a ton and then they have Rodewald who will score big for them. With Cooke, Jansen, Yakabowski, and Eberle they will have more than enough toughness. One of those tough guys will be on the move unless they move Rodewald after his big numbers year. IT's good to see Steel continues to show he will be something special in this league.

patsdude114
08-29-2014, 06:17 AM
That was the worst preseason game I have ever witness being a pats fan for over 25yrs (since I've been a kid). There was nothin exciting to watch that game, sure the Pats made some very good plays but when your playing a lineup that young, that inexperienced it means jack crap to me in what we did on the ice. If we would of went with the same type of lineup (no 19 or 20 yr olds) maybe I could of enjoyed the game alittle more.

As much as I'm a die hard Pats fan I'm a hockey can first and watching a hockey game that mismatched is not enjoyable. Judging from the rosters PA LETH & CGY brought those games should be a lot better to watch, just hope I'm done work in time today to catch the 3pm puck drop

crashnbang
08-29-2014, 10:09 AM
Not a great game for sure, guys were more challenged in our own blue and white game. I thought Hilsendager made some very smart plays and like someone mentioned Cole made a few big hits and mostly on MJ veterans. Other than that, same old with Steel putting up numbers and Christoffer looking very impressive as he should. Fuhr did make some nice saves when challenged, Hollett wasn't really challenged at all. Schioler doesn't get a very good look going forward in my opinion after seeing him in game action, his skating just isn't at the level it needs to be at.

patsdude114
08-29-2014, 11:25 AM
I agree on every comment you made especially about Schoiler, he isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas though which is nice to see but there are just too many 16s and 17s with a better all around game then he has.

Another guy who really has to work on his skating is Gardiner

chopper
08-29-2014, 06:50 PM
I didn't notice Ortynski on the pre-season roster?? 2nd round draft pick.

RWAH
08-29-2014, 06:55 PM
Not going to make it to tonight's game, (family stuff) so any posts will be appreciated.

RWAH
08-29-2014, 07:13 PM
Here is a feature on Small Thoughts with a depth chart. If the link it his article does not work go to Small thoughts web site

Depth Charts

I've got a new feature here on the ol' blog - WHL team depth charts. Basically what I've done is created a spreadsheet with the names of every player (that I know of) who has signed a WHL education contract with a WHL team. This is NOT a list of every player that a team owns the rights to (ie, the PPLs) but only those who have committed to playing for the team. Obviously some teams do not publicize their signings and so those teams are simply going to have fewer names listed here. It doesn't mean they have signed less players, but only that we don't know everyone they have signed.

For my purposes, a player who plays in a WHL game (preseason, regular, or playoffs) will be considered as having signed, even if no signing has been announced.

I've separated the players by birth year and position so you can easily see how many 17 year old defencemen (for example) your team might have to choose from next year, etc, etc.

I have removed players who are believed to have retired, been released, or whom there is no realistic possibility that they ever play in the WHL again (ie, most overage players with NHL contracts). Teams may still own those players' rights but it seems pointless to keep the names here.

The spreadsheet is read-only but if you spot any errors or omissions, please do email me (or leave a comment) and let me know.

enjoy

patsdude114
08-29-2014, 07:40 PM
I didn't notice Ortynski on the pre-season roster?? 2nd round draft pick.

Ortynski was sent home after the inter squad game 1 of 4 players sent home if I recall correctly and I'm sure he has been dropped off the 50 man list as well.

He had 1 very good scrimmage game the rest was invisible.

Thatshockey1965
08-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Thoughts on tonight's game? Best players? No performers?

cpaw74
08-29-2014, 10:53 PM
Ryker Cole reminds me of a young Garrett Mitchell.

patsdude114
08-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Ryker Cole reminds me of a young Garrett Mitchell.

I do agree with this to a point forsure just the difference I see even as a younger Mitchell he was more willing to drop the mitts then Cole seems to be but on the flip side Cole appears to have more of a scoring touch then Mitchell ever but there are similar traits forsure.

As for what I saw last night... Well first off it was nice to watch an actual hockey game, what we saw on Thursday night was not a hockey game by any means. The win means nothing to me we could of lost 6-5 and I still would of been quite entertained.

I must say I was quite impressed by a few players last night and this 1 guy I rarely have much good to say about him but Brooks looked really good last night and Im glad to see it finally. I hope Brooks can keep up with that type of play and show some offensive flare like he was expected to do when he was drafted.

Another guy who impressed me last night was Zimmer, he did a lot of good things with the puck in his decision making along with taking the body. These are key things he needs to do on a regular basis as there are just too many quality kids in his age group that could take his spot.

Krammerer seems to be finally getting it in the North American game, he showing that it wasn't a mistake by any means to bring him back for another season.

I also thought Pouteau (who was a +4 last night) played a very good game as well, to me he is ahead of Krushen which im sure is expected by many. Hilsendager is growing on me more and more, each time I see this kid play I am liking more about his game. Last night I thought that was the most physical game I have seen him play to date so far, something our back end lacks.

Im also really liking Kroeker, he has lacked abit of finish on his chances but im not too worried about that as he is putting himself in this spots to get quality chances and plus he still has 2 assists (although it looks like they took away his assist last night so may only be 1 now).

I don't know if Webb or DeRoose did enough to impress me last night, Hansen did more then enough though so unless 1 of those 2 big bodies do more in todays game (if they play in it) looks like Hansen will be definitely chosen over both of them. I just wish Hansen had alittle more will with some toughness, other then that I like Hansen as a player.

One guy I haven't seen anyone talking about on here is Zborovsky this kid has a lot of real good tools to go along with his size. Sure he took a couple penalties last night both of which were pretty bad especially the 2 handed slash he gave out but on the flip side with him he moves the puck really well, has a good shot (wont surprise me 2 years in a row that a Russian has the hardest slap shot from the point for us) and for his size he skates very well. Im very interested in seeing how he progresses over the season, he is already better defensively then Sinitysn was (IMO) he may not have the offensive instincts like Sinitsyn had but that's ok too as all it takes is a good first pass to be off on the offensive attack.

chopper
08-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Reading Paddock's comments about the Calgary game, he refers to the size of our team or should I say lack of size compared to Calgary. He said the young guys were the most impressive ones on the night.

The one thing I did notice in my limited time at camp is that we are not particularly big, once again. Considering this was an articulated as a goal of the club, it didn't appear to materialize. We still have a lot of 5'10-5'11 type players.

This was an issue along with poor goaltending this spring in our first round of playoffs. I hope they find a way to address it. IMO opinion Edmonton is the model. They're a big fast skating club and nobody could handle them, icluding Guelph.

RWAH
08-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks PD114 for the post about the game I missed, I enjoy most of your post as they are very informative. Don't always agree with your opinion but always get some info.
Looking forward to tonight's game Lethbridge as a good size line up, so will be a good test for the Pats.
Agree with the Cole/Mitchell comparison, think Cole is taller and when he fills out could be wrecking ball.
after tonight a week of practise and a very good test with Brandon, however Brandon is a week behind in training camp and the games will be Brandon's first of the exhibition season

RWAH
08-30-2014, 10:01 PM
That is the first time I saw Smith, He missed a lot of camp with either mono or the flu but I am impressed. skating needs to be worked on but can be a contributor on this team. Testing my memory but I think we drafted him with the pick from Brandon for not drafting Patrick and we have another SC draft that we got for McGuirer (spelling). Not a bad days work for Chad L

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-30-2014, 11:32 PM
To be honest, disregarding all the conflicting practical reasons not to, and our 'already promised direction', apart of me wants this team to just hold onto most of or all the promising youth we got.

We could cut all these spot filling fringe veterans - who we likely wouldn't consider bringing back as 20 year olds anyways - instead of handing all of them 20 minutes a night and let the prospective future ride the pine to become junior A fodder. We could add a couple 'policemen' to keep them all in one piece and even if its a write-off year, we could attempt to carve out a solid foundation of youth with some experience. I think it beats the alternative of only keeping a couple of 16s and giving them 40 'half games' on the forth line.

I mean the result might be fairly similar regardless of what we do anyways. I don't see us having the horses to take the division. One down year might be what it takes to get us out of the rut. Contending teams seem to do that all the time

patsdude114
08-31-2014, 10:52 AM
Smith had a great game last night for not having played since day 1 of training camp. I still stand by what I said that Smith is the next best 16yr old after Steel and he proved it last night. Sure his skating needs abit of work but it wasn't that noticeable last night at all. He had the 2 hits of the night the one early in the first when the Canes player came to make a big hit on him ended up flat on his arse instead of Smith and then the huge hit he laid on Duke that resulted in Wagner stepping in to fight Bricker for Smith (a good vet move to let the kid continue playing the rest of the night instead of an early shower not even 1min into the 2nd)

As for SAJ's comments about going very young. At first I was against that before camp started mainly cause I wanted to see how much these 17s got better but when you look at them all they all bring something and there is very little difference in either player. They are all better then Brooks was last year. So with that all said I would love to see us get rid of some vets in favour of these young kids.

Now onto Brooks..... I'm the first to admit that I haven't been much of a fan of his since day 1 but with that said in these preseason games he is showing he does have some offensive capabilities. The same can be said with Kammerer.

Last nights game was a great game all around, I knew the game was going to be physical from the get go with the likes of Walters and Bell on their defense. Steel made both those guys miss on a consistent basis last night, Steel was the best player on the ice between both teams with Duke being a some what close second. Steel took over the game in the 3rd period he was every where and creating chances each time he touched the puck which he did score one and setup Brooks for his goal plus was robbed of his hat trick which the goalie had no business stopping but he did so kudos to him on that save.

Will be interesting to see who we reassign today, doesn't matter who is reassigned it will be a good player who could play in the league this year. There is no doubt about 2 players who will be reassigned in 15yr olds Hollett and Gardiner but after that it's wide open. I noticed McVeigh didn't play once this weekend is he trade bait maybe?

chopper
08-31-2014, 09:46 PM
To be honest, disregarding all the conflicting practical reasons not to, and our 'already promised direction', apart of me wants this team to just hold onto most of or all the promising youth we got.

We could cut all these spot filling fringe veterans - who we likely wouldn't consider bringing back as 20 year olds anyways - instead of handing all of them 20 minutes a night and let the prospective future ride the pine to become junior A fodder. We could add a couple 'policemen' to keep them all in one piece and even if its a write-off year, we could attempt to carve out a solid foundation of youth with some experience. I think it beats the alternative of only keeping a couple of 16s and giving them 40 'half games' on the forth line.

I mean the result might be fairly similar regardless of what we do anyways. I don't see us having the horses to take the division. One down year might be what it takes to get us out of the rut. Contending teams seem to do that all the time

Your position is completely on point and the reasoning is sound. If our future lays in the youth then why would we not have them on the roster? Getting these 16 and 17 year olds a year of experience would reap huge rewards by this time next year.

We would have between 5-7 youngsters coming back who have the talent and experience needed.In the past we always had one high end talent but never two at the same time, let alone four or five. i.e. Eberle or Weal but never anyone to play with them.

We know Steel is a thoroughbred but he can't do it alone. Wouldn't it be nice to have Smith, Elmer, Poteau, Kroker and Cole all back with him having that same season under their belts? The team would be on it's way to a powerhouse.

This is the only way a rebuild can be done. Trading draft picks for 19 or 20 year olds to try and make the playoffs and two home gates don't cut it. It was the Parkers way however. MJ struggled last year but all will a heck of a team this year. They did it right.

As far as I'm concerned they can trade for two tough boys to look after our young guys, even if it meant moving MvVeigh and D'Amico to do it. MJ may have an extra and there are some out west. We need to diametrically change how we do business.

Now is the time for forward thinking because for nearly two decades Parker showed us his vision never worked. Most of the mediocre 19 and 20 year olds will likely be gone by trade deadline at any rate. We still have enough vets and just need toughness.

patsdude114
08-31-2014, 10:45 PM
Keep in mind Klimchuk will be traded at some point this year and what we get for him will fit in nicely with the youth we have this year. Would be nice if one team separated themselves from the pack by mid to late November and then trade Klimchuk to them so he's not so much of a rental type, that he goes to war with those guys before the trade deadline. Plus there is always that risk if he makes the world juniors (which is expected) that he could sustain an injury and then we get jack crap from him much like Eberle and Weal.....

It's always a risk and is it worth the risk for the state of us finally doing a rebuild correctly....... Sure you may get alittle more at trade deadline but is it worth the risk of nothing?????

sbtatter
09-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Keep in mind Klimchuk will be traded at some point this year and what we get for him will fit in nicely with the youth we have this year. Would be nice if one team separated themselves from the pack by mid to late November and then trade Klimchuk to them so he's not so much of a rental type, that he goes to war with those guys before the trade deadline. Plus there is always that risk if he makes the world juniors (which is expected) that he could sustain an injury and then we get jack crap from him much like Eberle and Weal.....

It's always a risk and is it worth the risk for the state of us finally doing a rebuild correctly....... Sure you may get alittle more at trade deadline but is it worth the risk of nothing?????

So his worth should be between Schenn and Ferland I'd think? Ferland was a first round pick, Schenn was he and a 3rd round pick for a 1st and 2nd in 2011, a 1st in 2012 and a 1st euro pick in 2012 and Nikkel and McGauley. Then Saskatoon had also paid a 1st and a 5th for valcourt, and also got Walker and a 2nd for a 2nd in 12, 2nd in 13, 3rd in 14 and of course, Bdmn had the right to swap picks in the 1st round in 14, which landed Bdn the 1st overal pick.
Klimchuck has similar scoring stats to Ferland, but not the obvious physical side, but he must be worth a first and something at the deadline to a team that needs scoring. If Reg are committed to a rebuild year and a team offered me a good return early I'd take it because as Patsdude said, if he gets injured he brings back nothing

chopper
09-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Historically the return for good players is higher at or near the deadline. However if some team were to step up and offer the same kind of return early, then it might be ok. I have heard that Calgary was interested and they are owned by the Flames, so who knows.

The return would need to include a 1st round pick ands something else, or perhaps a couple of 2nd's and something. Problem is usually a team like Calgary do very well in the season, and they have a lower draft pick. That 1st pick would be very late in the draft.

A number of teams who might not be players could become interested. If their season goes well and they find themselves in the hunt, they might be willing sacrifice a lot of the farm. Regardless of how this goes down I agree Klimchuk will be moved at some point.

PS - do any of you guys know of the deletions that were made? Usually some medium posts if there re-assignments or deletions. That information has been hard to find out this year.

sbtatter
09-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Historically the return for good players is higher at or near the deadline. However if some team were to step up and offer the same kind of return early, then it might be ok. I have heard that Calgary was interested and they are owned by the Flames, so who knows.

The return would need to include a 1st round pick ands something else, or perhaps a couple of 2nd's and something. Problem is usually a team like Calgary do very well in the season, and they have a lower draft pick. That 1st pick would be very late in the draft.

A number of teams who might not be players could become interested. If their season goes well and they find themselves in the hunt, they might be willing sacrifice a lot of the farm. Regardless of how this goes down I agree Klimchuk will be moved at some point.

PS - do any of you guys know of the deletions that were made? Usually some medium posts if there re-assignments or deletions. That information has been hard to find out this year.

What team will need scoring help? I'm sure Regina would like to deal him out of the division, maybe Edmonton will want him if Lazar makes the show?

nivek_wahs
09-01-2014, 10:38 AM

These are the most recent re-assignments:
Pats reassign goaltender Jordan Hollett (’99)
Pats reassign forward Erik Gardiner (’99)
Pats reassign forward Adam Berg (’97)
Pats reassign defenceman Brady Pouteau (’98)

patsdude114
09-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Kind of surprised by the Pouteau reassignment without looking at our roster since I'm not at home wasn't he the only 16yr old Dman?

As for Berg I liked his game but there were better 17yr olds then him, wonder if this means we drop him as well or keep him around as a list player and see if he can compete for a spot as an 18yr old.

RWAH
09-01-2014, 12:24 PM
Think we still have Krushen as a 16 d-man. but releases and reassigns are hard to track this year.
Im all for going very young. On top, look at next year with Hollet, Gardner, Hagen, Cox, Sandstrum if they develop. And the 16s this year, Pouteau, Lovell (he will play Jr A in Manitoba this year so should be a lot stronger and quicker for camp next year). With top coaching and good management should be an elite team for the 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons and a couple more good draft years 2018/19 (will host the M Cup that season)

chopper
09-01-2014, 01:27 PM

Thanks Kevin! It's been a little hard to get info this year. I am also surprised at Poteau being sent back

I just found the info on the Pats site..I guess I should have looked there first..LOL It was however the first time I was able to see this info on their site.

chopper
09-01-2014, 01:58 PM
What team will need scoring help? I'm sure Regina would like to deal him out of the division, maybe Edmonton will want him if Lazar makes the show?

I think any team in the Central Division could be takers. Add Klimchuk to Red Deer and they're dangerous. Calgary is most obvious but maybe Edmonton. Maybe even Lethbridge would go after him. They need to pick it up soon and adding a potential 100 pts don't hurt. Maybe pry away Zane Franklin and Jagger White. After all you guys shouldn't be the only ones to take advantage of Robson:D. We can't forget the teams in the West need help. Seattle feels they're close and with Barzal scoring, if you add Klimchuk watch out.

crashnbang
09-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Anyone know when the Pats skate this week? Might check out a practice session.

nivek_wahs
09-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Anyone know when the Pats skate this week? Might check out a practice session.

Check out Pat Chat. It has all the details there. Here's the link:
http://reginapats.com/article/pat-chat-september-1st

RWAH
09-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Just looking at the roster and and rookies are 4 - 16 year old (includes Sam Steel) 5 - 17s and 2 - 18s totals 11 rookies.
The D is current 8 strong and I am sure will stay that way untill Bouroughs returns from NHL camp (could be all year) so the rookies we have 2 - 17 (Zborowsky - Hilsengdager) 1 - 16 (Krusher)
The Forwards currently 21 includes 3 - 16s (Smith - Steel - Elmer) IMO all three will stay although only Elmer could be re-assigned. 3 - 17s (McAmmound - Cole and Kroeker) IMO Cole is for sure Kroeker is pretty sure and McAmmound is unknowen. We also have 2 - 18s rookies in (Webb and Westeringh).
We need to move 6 forwards and a tender any guesses

patsdude114
09-03-2014, 11:27 AM
Keep in mind that Hansen has been practicing as a Dman so looks like they want to be even bigger back there and it also gives us a chance to use the younger forwards upfront more. Maybe this is a way to move 1 of the 19yr old Dmen as with Hansen back there now that gives us (4) 19yr olds on the back end (Burroughs, Williams, Schacher & Hansen) or its maybe a sign that maybe Krushen just isn't ready for the WHL game and send him back to midget to log tons of ice, I guess the next week or 2 will say a lot.

RWAH
09-03-2014, 11:47 AM
PD114 or any one: have you been to the practises and how does Paddock/ Struch practise compare to Camreon/Dixon practises?

patsdude114
09-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I haven't been to 1 yet but im hoping to go today if I can get there in time

chopper
09-03-2014, 06:51 PM
IMO if the young can play then really, they should be kept. We need to go through this process at some time, so lets get it over with. We may not again have as many talented guys available at one time. Get some toughness in to look after them and go forward!

I think to stay for a while Hansen will need to play some defence. He's not that fast and can't really scrap. He won't be kept as a 2o year since we can't afford to lose any more picks. Brooks, D'Amico, Hansen, Zimmer, and perhaps others could be on the bubble. Williams as a 19 d-man isn't too secure in my mind. The trades need to start happening soon, since the sooner you create an identity the better off you will be.